Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Impreza Test Drive - What Did You Think?

PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
edited March 2014 in Subaru
Post your Impreza test drive impressions here.

Comments

• rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I stopped by a Subie dealer today looking for '07 brochures, and while there I said it's too bad dealers won't let customers test drive STIs, and the salesman said: "You want to test drive one? No problem." I was shocked!

Okay, it was basically a "teaser test drive" in that it only lasted maybe 3 or so miles, but even so, here are some very quick impressions:

• It's very similar to my WRX, but more intense.

• It's very easy to drive, and not a hard to control beast.

• I wasn't blown away with the power, as I was just getting the feel of the car, and really couldn't exploit it—and being a new car I wouldn't want to do that anyway. Oh, it's fast, don't let me mislead you here, but I just didn't find it that much quicker than my WRX. I'm sure with more time, and with a broken in model, I'd probably come away more impressed.

• I liked the close-ratio 6-speed a lot. I wish my car had that. I spent most of the time getting familiar with shift points—geez I wish I had more time to spend with it, as 3 miles is waaay too short a time... :(

• It doesn't have a gear indicator in the tach, and I wish it did. With 6-speed close-ratio trannys sometimes I forget which gear I'm in. Heck, that even happens sometimes with my 5-speed WRX. The Acura TSX 6-speed has a gear indicator, and I appreciated having that featue when I drove it.

• When I got back in my WRX, it seemed a bit slow. :surprise:

Bob
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Some dealers still do that, probably to scare away joy-riders.

Fitz had a sign on their Legacy GT spec.B that said no test drives, I was shocked. It has 243hp, gimme a break! :mad:

-juice
  • merrycynicmerrycynic Member Posts: 340
    What happened to the promised Subaru unveiling at the 2007 LA auto show?
    Did they promise that? I didn't hear that rumor.

I think we'll see big debuts at Detroit and maybe again in Chicago or NY.

Next year we should see a totally new Impreza and a significantly updated Tribeca.

-juice
    Subaru didn't, Edmunds did.
  • dborla01dborla01 Member Posts: 2
    I drove several sti's the past 2 years and liked them but am waiting for the 08 model. No matter what changes they made to wrx/sti the past few years, it is still a platform that goes back to 1993!
    If suby is going to stay competitive and take more market- share, it has to improve and update to stay competitive with the big guys. Otherwise, it will stay on the fringe.
    We bought an 01 Outback and it was a terribly built car. Also, the dealerships were not up to quality standards as toyota and honda in regards to warrany work. And, they need to make it bigger inside cockpit for taller Americans. We almost bought an 07 Legacy wagon, however it had WAY less room in front than our 03 Murano. However, quality of that Legacy was much better than our 01.Darrell.
    The 02 model was substantially upgraded. You can tell because the crash test results improved dramatically. Even though the wheelbase was the same, the vehicle was quite different.

Same for the 03 Forester. Even major parts of the structure were changed, the roof rails and front and rear bumper beams became aluminum for instance.

-juice
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    Can someone give me some feedback on the reliability/durability of the base model Impreza 2.5i? I am looking at a 2007 model, wagon, brand new for quoted price of $16,100. Is that a good deal? I know they are AWD, but they are kinda small so how are they in the snow?

Thanks for the feedback
    The AWD, plus the low, balanced, center of gravity with reasonable ride height, makes the Subaru very competent in the snow, with appropriate tires of course. Why would the small size be a concern as far as aptitude for snow?
  • caliberchiccaliberchic Member Posts: 402
    Smaller, lower center of gravity would be a pro in the case of a loss of control in the snow or otherwise. Deteres rolls.
    I've owned small cars in the past that were decent in the snow, but we get some pretty heavy storms here (I'm in MA). My concern about the Impreza is not the ability to maintain traction, but more the ground clearance and light weight. Maybe I'm just hung up the Impreza being a competitor in the Honda Civic class.

Anyways, I've pretty much accepted and am signing the papers on an Obsidian 2.5i wagon (5M) today.

First time Subaru owner.
    I can understand your concerns about ground clearance in the snow, but, I don't understand your concern about light weight. Light weight should be a benefit. If your really concerned about using an Impreza in the snow, perhaps your best bet would be an Outback. Good luck!
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Lightweight will get you high-centered easier, and the lower ground clearnance will also add to your ability to high center.

I wouldn't worry too much, the impreza is significantly heavier than the civic so it will sink through the snow and be able to grab traction better.

-mike
    Reliability and durability should be excellent. The EJ25 has been around since 1996 IIRC, and they've worked out the bugs.

Head gaskets were an issue up until around 2002, but not since then. Wheel bearings where the other issue, but that only affected the previous generation, the 03 came out with a new design.

Your 07 should be fine. Good luck.

-juice
    Thanks Juice. Yeah, pretty much everyone I have talked to says they are very durable/reliable. Here in NE especially, they have a very loyal following. Myself, I have always admired Subarus but have never owned one. I'm psyched, this is a cool little car and I'm sure it will bring me into the "family" for good. My wife is even talking about a Legacy OB Wagon for herself in the future.
  • nyburbsnyburbs Member Posts: 1
    imprezas are very reliable. Handling (including driving in snow) is excellent. Most of the time, I have either 1 or 2 people in the car, so I view the impreza as a "micro SUV"

I paid 17700 for an i hatchback (manual) last July, so your quote (subject to what else is included) sounds pretty good. If you are concerned about size, then think about a Forester, RAV4, CR-V, or a Tucson. But with the similiar options (AWD, etc) the pricetag is now $21 - $22.
    THanks NY. I have had my 07' Impreza 2.5i wagon for 3 weeks now and I love it. What a great little car. It was an absolute bargain for the money (I paid $16,499) and the dealership I worked with was top notch. So far on my first two tanks of gas, I am averaging 26mpg which is very respectable for a 173hp and AWD (manual gearbox). And going through the snow has been confidence-inspiring. It makes for a really nice foul weather friend while my S2000 is sleeping.

Great little car, she's a keeper. :shades:
    Congrats, not sure if I got the chance to say that to you yet.

-juice
    Thanks juice, much appreciated.
  • dinterndintern Member Posts: 24
    16,100!! That's one heck of deal. Here in LA the lowest I can get is 17,000. Congrats (albeit a bit late)!
This discussion has been closed.