Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazdaspeed test drives

Comments

• bigfurbigfur Member Posts: 649
    I dont have the Speed 3 just a regular GT 3. That having been said i installed a K&N Typhoon intake on my 07 a lil while after i bought it. If you plan to have it installed before the warranty is up i would get the mazda intake and have mazda install it so there are no warranty issues. Mine was a bit of a pain in the butt to install, but i have done many of them before so i wasnt too worried.
  • elgaspoelgaspo Member Posts: 2
    Thanx for answering, bigfur, preciate the input. 1 quick Q: did you have any problems w/ fault codes showing up in the computer and/or rough start/idle? i heard that's a recurring issue, esp. if the filter is too heavily oiled...
  • eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    all tree hugging aside, does being a republican mean you don't have to care about trees? or do you just not car about the environment.

Just curious.
  • smogdungsmogdung Member Posts: 349
    I'm a registered republican, I've planted about 150 trees at the 4 homes I've owned. My cars together ave about 30 mpg. The earth started a warming cycle about 15,000 years ago when the ice age ended (the glaciers were all the way down to Kansas) & that trend is ongoing. Car fumes did not cause the end of the ice age.
    The earth started a warming cycle about 15,000 years ago when the ice age ended (the glaciers were all the way down to Kansas) & that trend is ongoing. Car fumes did not cause the end of the ice age.

true, but its been proven that car fumes and MANY other things certainly have not helped.

My comment was in response to his, what i consider, pretty blantant post of 'i'm a dyed in the wools republican, i could car less about trees.' i just thought it funny that he would group all republicans together like that. You have proven him wrong. Thanks! :)
  • bigfurbigfur Member Posts: 649
    Nope havent had an issue. Biggest thing i make sure to do is let the filter dry for a couple of hours, sometimes over night to make sure no loose oil gets in the sensors. I leave it sitting upright in my wash tub to make sure its totally dry. Biggest thing is the instructions tell you that when the element turns red to stop spraying that area, so no need to go over it again.
    The major greenhouse gas is water vapor, CO2 is insignificant compared to that....I say let's get get rid of all this water. You suppose when the sun's energy output starts to diminish (& it will someday), Gore will encourage us to burn more fossil fuel to heat the planet up?
  • cholincholin Member Posts: 1
    I got mine, 20.5K plus 450 dealer fee for the basic one and I love it.
    What kinda MPG you getting so far?
  • paulvincent1paulvincent1 Member Posts: 3
    We just bought a MS3GT from a dealer in that Zipcode. We had a choice of Sport or Gt at a $1,500 discount from sticker. We phoned; we talked; we traveled; we bought, and we're glad that we did. The entire experience was very professional. Over the last six weeks of looking, our local dealers wanted sticker (or told us other dealers were asking a premium), or gave discounts from $500 to $635. Also, we had driven VW's GTI and Audi's A3 before driving the MS3.
  • jrbjrjrbjr Member Posts: 3
    My wife is getting about 23 MPG on her daily commute on congested, stop/go surface streets and freeways. We haven't taken the MS3 on a long open freeway drive yet, but when we do, I expect we'll be getting about 28 MPG.
    Thanks ! How far did you drive to get there...? Did you talk trade-in value over the phone...?
    Those are very acceptable #s considering performance potential..thanks!!
  • 23109vc23109vc Member Posts: 218
    i am in the market for a small fun somewhat practical car. I already have a large family SUV for family trips. I have thrree small children and *sometimes* I take/pickup one or two at school...so an MS3 or RX8 would fit my needs.

i test drove the 8 and while it was nto the fastest car i've ever driven...i got to take it on some twisty road sections and WOW. it was VERY much like a boxster I have driven before. i was very impressed with the handling, the high redline, and the FUN factor. total blast to drive.

for those of you who have driven BOTH the MS3 and RX8....which is more FUN.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "for those of you who have driven BOTH the MS3 and RX8....which is more FUN."

Define "FUN".

My point is that what I, or you, or any number of other folks will think is "fun" (or, which is more "fun") is completely subjective.

My advice - find a dealer with both RX8's and Speed3's on the lot and do back to back test drives. The 8 will excel in handling over the Speed3 (simply due, IMO, to it's RWD layout). But the Speed3 will be better from a shear grunt (torque - woo hoo!!) aspect.

Which is more 'fun' is ultimately up to the potential buyer. Go have fun..... ;)
  • 1320mlx1320mlx Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a black Speed 3 GT with Nav for $99 over invoice. The first dealer wanted $4k over MSRP and wouldn't honor S-Plan. So I drove 15 miles down the road to the next dealer and they were willing to sell it for the S-Plan price.
    So how much below sticker was that? I spoke to a guy yesterday that had a test drive, he called it herky-jerky...is that just a matter of getting used to the vehicle?
  • mrsermrser Member Posts: 9
    I've had two test drives on the MS3. I loved the responsivness of the steering. It's "go kart like", which suits me fine.
    Two questions:
    1)I would "assume" they'll continue making this car as a limited production vehicle in '08. Can anyone confirm?
    (my lease on my current ride isn't up until 1/25/08)
    2) Why is the hood so heavy on this car? Crash test purposes?
  • stallionrestallionre Member Posts: 205
    Good Job!! Now that is a deal. ;)
    "2) Why is the hood so heavy on this car? Crash test purposes?"

The Speed3 has a top mounted intercooler (sitting on top of the engine). It doesn't make much sense to simply suck up hot air from the engine compartment to run through the intercooler. The inside of the hood incorporates some ductwork that takes cool air coming in though the grill and routes it through the ducts to the intercooler. The inside of the hood is also supposed to seal against the top of the intercooler with the hood closed.

This way, the engine can get (somewhat) cool air without resorting to a hood scoop like the WRX (btw - I'm not saying that the Mazda method for getting cool air is as efficient; just why the hood is heavier than a standard Mazda3 hood).
  • mrsermrser Member Posts: 9
    I'll have to inspect the inside of the hood the next time I'm at the dealer.
    A black '08 MS3 is in my future, unless they add white as a choice next year.
    I think the hood for both cars feel the same. I felt them last night, to me they both feel heavy. I bet it is because of the insulated. Not sure.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    first dealer wanted $4k over MSRP and wouldn't honor S-Plan

Well ,technically, there is no S-Plan on the Mazdaspeed3. A dealer can sell one for invoice if they choose, which would be the S-Plan price.
    This is true. I read this.
    you went to a dealer just to feel the hood? :P

actually the ms3 has LESS insulation than the regular 3, for a sporiter experience/sound while driving.
    you've checked the hood insulation on the speed3 vs. the regular 3?

sounds like stallionre isn't the ONLY one with a hood fetish... :P
  • mugwompmugwomp Member Posts: 21
    After a test drive, I'm leaning towards a 2007 Subaru WRX-TR but a part of me wants a speedy wagon, a WRX wagon was @ $3000 more at my dealer.

Didn't enjoy the Speed 3's FWD at all, felt it at all times - thought I was being careful with the throttle but was getting slippage, especially over one slightly gravely part of a road. Too much power on the front wheels - I guess I learned I'm really not an FWD driver/fan.

Biggest turn off was sharp edge between plastics chaffing my right leg. An almost horizontal seam between lower/upper console area going into my upper calf. Only drove it 10 minutes tops and my leg was starting to hurt from the rubbing. I'll probably test drive one again without wearing shorts but the idea I have to wear pants or put tape over parts of my interior doesn't get me excited.

A few other turn-offs;
    *The engine sound. WRX has nice, aggressive grind to it with nice note - all I could hear from the MS3 was the muffler and some engine, I guess - but I dunno, the WRX was the one saying zoom, zoom, zoom; sounds like an engine should sound.
    *Colors - I don't want a black car but black was the only color I liked. The soft blue was disappointing. (The color of the one I tested)
    *The clear tail lights - I don't like nor even understand the trend and look forward to its demise. Can't seem to find tradition replacements online.
    *Leg area in general wasn't leg friendly, chaffing sucked. WRX was more spartan but I liked its simplicity.
    *Looking at WRX sedan vs. MS3, which is a wagon - WRX's very clear and intuitive view versus MS3s blindspots.
    *The 18" wheels - 17" wheels seems fine and more economical.

MS3 Pros;
    *More cupholders. Rear passengers have door ones and elbow rest ones.
    *Stereo - much nicer but reading from owners it isn't that great. Still, much better than Subarus - the TR's sucks.
    *Goodies; WRX TR has none. Stepping out of TR instantly adds $1000, getting any other goodies quickly adds even more duckets.

Break-even;
    *Can't really say the power, would've rather had less with AWD or less period - I have no interest in spinning out on my front wheels. But the shifting was much smoother than the WRX / but I also enjoyed the notchiness of the WRX's shifter. Sheer power numbers = MS3 / sheer usable power on all 4 wheels = WRX.
    *It is a nice black though. Very subtle sparkles - nothing crazy but great paint job. Paint quality is better than WRX's. Colors = WRX / Quality = MS3.
    *Interior materials. Neither seemed that much better than the other. Different things I liked about both. Mazda's interior feels "newer". Subaru's felt better to my body but looks okay. The center area is serviceable but not neat/cool. Mazda's stick and pedals and steering wheel were definitely a nicer quality and you get controls on the wheel. Which in a way, I liked that the WRX is very simple and is all about the driving experience.
    *Looks; call me crazy, I like the 3-part Tribeca schnoz. The TR I was looking at was a sweet blue, but also liked the white ones too. The WRX is very recognizable and kinda funky, the MS3 looks almost exactly like a Mazda 3, which are everywhere which is basically a Protoge...

I guess I should try them both again - take notes or something. I'm in no rush but would like to get something by the summer.
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    Tip: Whatever you choose, check with your insurance company before you purchase to avoid any surprises. In Canada (and likely the States) the WRX is in the top 10 list of costliest vehicles to insure due to theft, collision, and comprehensive claims. The rates look staggering.
    Insurance doesn't look too bad. And the driving pleasure is worth it.

The winner is the WRX (non-TR, white - just going to have to save up a few extra thousand - the MS3 was $22k the WRX sedan, over $25 - can't afford the wagon). But a day after the test drive I can't think of anything I liked about the MS3 and I can't get my mind off the WRX.

Simply put, the MS3 was the last FWD car I'll ever test drive.

There's no way I can convince myself that $22k + 250+HP FWD = one ounce of fun. And I'm sorry, drove the regular Mazda3 and that's an econowagon at best. It seemed to have enough power to drive on highways and probably make it up hills, but beyond that - a moped or public transportation seem like reasonable ways to save money.

Forgot one MAJOR difference between the two; accelerating...

Back to the miserable FWD experience, the whole having all the power on the front/steering wheels was simply the most unenjoyable experience I've ever had behind the wheel of a powerful car. It kind of ducks and pulls left and right, all the while my friggin' front wheels are kicking gravel at the rest of the car. And after that, driving the WRX - completely different experience. I can only best put it as a driver's car. Compared to the experience of dragging the weight of a wagon by an overpowered engine - just having the [non-permissible content removed] end slide around. Less like driving, more like water skiing or something. With the WRX - well, Subaru makes some of the best handling cars on the road and it shows. You can drift through a turn - no drag from anywhere - just useable power. And after testing the "zoom, zoom" of the MS3 - I realized the power seemed useless if I didn't enjoy its application. I guess I'm leaning towards the verdicts of the Euro reviews over the gleaming American ones.

Driving the WRX put a smile on my face - the MS3, I was pretty much dumbfounded. I didn't get it. If I want a powerful FWD car (basically an overpowered Protoge), I'll probably consider an old Ford Contour SVT.
    Mugwomp, just read your post to the Miata driver back on 3/11....BEST POST EVER!!!!!
    hoods are very sexy! ;)

actually i stopped by the mazda dealer a few weeks ago, just to look at the 3's and they had 2 mazdaspeeds in stock. A red and blue one. I popped the hood of the blue one to look at the engine and the salesman pointed out the lack of additional sound deadening materials.

But yeah it was a turn on. :)
    Thanks smogdung. Didn't get a chance to test drive one of those but I sat in one while I was there. Very nice, simple cockpit, but definitely not me - though its simplicity towards focusing on the driving experience reminded me of the WRX-TR. Too bad the RX-8 is so strange looking; very neat interior, fun to sit in - they had a used one for $22k (sadly the bozo owner before painted the wheels black, most likely with a blindfold on). Eldaino, was that not the heaviest hood you've ever tried to lift in your life? Didn't seem safe to me - sad the MS3 didn't have a hood scoop. Between replacing the hood with a lighter one, replacing the clear tail-lights, fixing the sharp interior plastics and perhaps getting it painted a different color - it could be $6k to get the MS3 to make me happy and that's not including that fact its still FWD... Probably going to test drive it again today for a longer drive, without the salesman, and see if I can tolerate it.
    Test drove the car again ended up getting a job. This may influence my decision so I'm going to hold off for a month. If I enjoy working at Mazda it makes much more sense to drive what I sell - especially if I can get a discount. Still a few things concern me about the car;

*I can live with black and I guess I'll get used to the tail lights until I can find conservative replacements.
    *Something seems strange about the pushing against the springiness, then up to shift into first. Only driven 5-speeds, I guess. The pushing against springiness then down and in for reverse was something I had never dealt with before either.
    *Not sure how to deal with sharp edge by leg. Maybe point it out to the shop, have them sand the edge away.
    *Not sure how much I'll like the FWD in windy roads.
    *AWD for my trips to Tahoe sounds so much better.

Still, a great deal for the money - no hurry. I think I'll be driving these a lot now, regardless if I buy one, so I'll be taking notes...
    Congrats on the job, I can retire from Fed this month...wife says no new car unless I get another FT job...now there's some cognitive dissonance (or something).
    Doing more research - Canada sells white ones - Australia sells a much more colorful blue. Hmmmm - I have a suspicion the 2008s in the U.S. may (hopefully) offer at least one new color to choose from along with the black, red, blue, silver. Guess we shall wait and see... I had also mentioned not being crazy about the exhaust note - reading on some Mazda forums of people being pulled over for having too loud of a car - and these are stock!!! That doesn't seem fair or legal to get harassed for driving a completely street legal car cuz a grumpy cop wants to give you a hard time.
    So when do you start at the Mazda dealer? How much is the discount? Walser in Burnsville MN was selling em at 1500 < sticker...430 miles from me ...but that would be worth the drive ....Fed offering 25% retention pay to stay...wonder who they want me to kill?
    def heavy! Have not lifted one heavier. i guess a hood scoop was out of the question, given the sleeper effect mazda was going for.

Saw one this weekend, true red. Very nice. But my wife couldn't tell the difference. Sleeper indeed.

Congrats on the job!
  • sportyridersportyrider Member Posts: 1
    When I took my test drive I was sold on the Speed 3. I tested the VW GTI and the Honda Civic si and they paled in comparison to the Mazda. The Subaru WRX and Lancer Evo look like cheap sedans with wings, something that young kids should drive. The Mazdaspeed 3 looks like a sleeper. It's faster than the VW and Honda and it's at least $10,000 cheaper than some of the other cars with the same performance.

We left the dealer's lot and I punched it and a big smile came on my face. That smile stayed on the entire 15 minute test drive. The salesman was with us and he told me to drop down a gear and nail it when I was cruising at 80 and the Speed 3 just took off to 110mph when I shut it down. Amazing car and a great value for the money.

With only 5000 available in the US it is a rare bird. There must be 200 GTIs and 300 Civic SIs in my city, but there is only 1 Mazdaspeed and that's mine. :)
    CONGRATS! Were you able to get it for sticker?
    congrats on your purchase!

still dunno if i would say it has the same 'performance' as an evo or sti though... ;)
  • punkr77punkr77 Member Posts: 183
    Test drove a Mazda3 and Speed3 this weekend. My wife and I weren't very impressed with the Mazda3. Didn't feel sporty compared to the Civic Si and Sentra SE-R. No oomph, even when revved hard.

The Speed3 impressed me a lot. Really quick, felt like a totally different car. The only two complaints we really had were the weak A/C (never got cool on a 98 degree day) and the bland interior. No available sunroof was a hangup,too. We probably would have bought the Speed3 if it weren't for the snotty attitiude of the salesperson and sales manager and the $2000 ADM. My experience has been that if the sales team are jerks, the service team is, too. Big deal breaker since there's only one Mazda dealer within 60 miles of us.

We'll probably go with the civic or sentra since we can pay cash for them, then pick up a 350Z or WRX STI in a year or two for a real "fun" second car.
  • missyc1missyc1 Member Posts: 17
    See now I think the Mazda3 definatly has the more sporty and better quality interior then the Civic does. The thing I hate the most on the Civic is the dash layout (the speed odometer on the dash) and that sliding plastic cover thingy for the center console. That will break in no time and look like crap from the dust getting all stuck in it. The Civic Si is a cool car, but when I took it out I now why the dealer immediately turned the music on before I drove it. It's really loud inside the car with no music on. But they make it loud on purpose after I read the specs. I found that out. Also, you have to put PREMIUM gas in it, which the dealer failed to tell me.

I love my new Mazda3. I get tons of compliments on it and the color is a head turner! :P
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    We drove up to Cincinnati yesterday and checked out a Mazdaspeed3(the Louisville dealers didn't have any in stock). It turns out that the dealer- Kings Mazda- had just sold the exact car I was interested in- a True Red GT with NO options. However, I was able to test drive a MS3 in Deadly Dull Silver. The salesman was great- a true car nut, he even encouraged me to wind it out. FWIW, they are selling them at MSRP+@$275. For anyone interested, Kings is getting another Red GT in a couple of weeks, but I won't be buying it. The MS3 is a nice and solid little pocket rocket, and my wife and son loved it, but it just didn't light my fire. Too bad really, I was really hoping I'd found my next car. Oh well...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

The thing I hate the most on the Civic is the dash layout (the speed odometer on the dash) and that sliding plastic cover thingy for the center console. That will break in no time and look like crap from the dust getting all stuck in it. The Civic Si is a cool car, but when I took it out I now why the dealer immediately turned the music on before I drove it.

to each his own. i love the civics dash. the interior is MEANT to be loud, just like it is in the gti AND mazdaspeed3.

The sliding platic thingy on the civic is no dust trap, and i don't think it looks 'cheap'.

you have to put premium gas in pretty a lot of the sporty compacts nowadays.
  • 23109vc23109vc Member Posts: 218
    Bookmark | Reply | Edit | Delete
    I am torn between these two cars. I like the power of the MS3, and the fact that you *could* fit three people in the back. Price of MS3 is great for what you get.

I test drove an 8 and was blown away with how it cornered, and how it took the twisties. The RX8 seems more sporty - it's RWD, has a great shifter, and looks more agressive when fitted with the appearance package/body kit.

for those of you who have had a chance to test drive them back to back - what were your thoughts or observations?

the RX8 only fits two in the back, and I might need to fit more than 2 people in the back of my next car...so I'm reluctant to get an 8, not to mention bad MPG and reliability issues...but it was so much fun.

you guys think a MS3 would outrun an RX8 on a twisty backgrod...or would the RX8 just walk awawy from teh MS3...in a straight line the MS3 would outrun an 8...but what about in the twisties???
  • blitzebillblitzebill Member Posts: 25
    i just bought a habanero red civic si sedan...it flies, i like the way the dash is divided and it does not hinder my ability to see the tach and speedo at the same time...

the black interior is cool lookin', audio system is great...

and using premium fuel improves gas mileage...i'm getting in the 30s and it has only 360 miles on it, and i DO rev the tach before shifting...

i get people looking at it everywhere...
  • nagatahawknagatahawk Member Posts: 12
    I test drove the Civic 4d si, and the speed 3 and the mini s
    among others. the mini was the most impressive of the three, but on the small side. I need a car to throw may rc equipment or my bike. Maybe with the front wheel off...

the civic drove like most hondas, however the revs did not drop between shifts. that was annoying because the high revs caused the car to lurge forward. It was a turn off. I've heard there is fix for this. I hope so.

I loved the styling of the Speed 3 and it had lots of room in the back. and lotsa power, the power cause the car to pull even at low throttle applications. loved the power.
    I've heard people complain about the shifting. They should drive my BMW 325i manual with rubbery stock shifter. after coming from that the speed 3 shifted like a champ.

the mini was perfect, shifted like a breeze, good low end torque, cornered like a champ. hated the chrome speedo the size of your head. I'll have to check to see if my bike will fit inside.

I have 6 more months to make up my mind. my lease ends in Jan 08.

btw I tested the Audi 3 loved the DSG. Hated the sales man.
    He seemed nice enough at first, but when he called me back. I couldn't get him off the line and he would not come down the the price.

funny how the littlest annoying things can turn u off to buying a car.

I may have to retest the MS3 later or wait for the 2008s.
    you should check out the gti 4 door, it has the same engine, suspension and dsg as the a3 and its cheaper.

unless you prefer the styling of the a3 and some content, i guess you will still need to consider the mini and ms3
  • nagatahawknagatahawk Member Posts: 12
    I've test driven them all and will probably test the volvo c30.
    I will be purchasing next year. so far I like the styling and the utility of the MS3, it torgue steers a little. the A3 doesn't look right. it's to long and narrow. and ths salesman became annoying. the mini is a great car, too small for me, I have two bikes.
    Don't believe the magezines about the 08 wrx. this cars can out handle all the above. and no it does not understeer. susp. is soft similar to my BMW 325i. but awd is amazing. uterly amazing.

I you like the MS3 don't get frenetica about being refused a test ride, stocks are low. and they can get premium for the car right now. Like everyone says look for another dealer. Unless you have to purchase a car today, just keep looking, I have. Time is on our side. :shades:
  • fuerteoxfuerteox Member Posts: 1
    Hey, I am very interested in purchasing the new Mazdaspeed 3. I've realized though that it comes with 18 inch summer tires. Does anyone know if you can purchase all season tires for this car, and if so where? I think they only way to drive the car in the winter would be to buy winter tires for the car, which would be an unfortunate pain. Any input would be helpful.

Thanks,
    Alex
This discussion has been closed.