Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Sorento Vibration Problems

2»

Comments

• sorento2122sorento2122 Member Posts: 5
    Update on 2013 Sorento EX w V6 engine. Less than 2000 mi. Back in the shop 2nd time for vibrations, especially at highway speeds i.e. 65 mph. Been in the shop 4 days now. Got to give them credit, they're seriously going through everything triying to get it fixed right. Tires have been ruled out. All wheels dynamically balanced. They're going to repace the transfer case. We'll see - hope that does it.
  • pondrockerpondrocker Member Posts: 18
    Thank you for the update! At least I know now that it just wasn't me as we test drove 3-4 different V6 EX Sorentos. I knew it wasn't the tires either as we drove 1 with different tires to rule out. I have a feeling it is AWD related, it is a such a fine vibration, not a shake, or shimmy. We are on hold to purchase one as there are none to be found in our area, I know I wll not pull the trigger unless I'm in one that doesn't have the fine vibration. Please keep us updated, there are so few 2013 V6 EX on the road as of now that your observations are very much appreciated. Glad they are trying to help you, I wish you the best of luck!
    Been in the shop for 10 days. They changed the xsfer case, then tried Goodyear tires, next will put on a set of Michelins.
  • toonietoonie Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for the input you are all giving me. I had to drive out of town and in the mountains and noticed the vibration not as bad but still there. Or am I just getting used to it. I will give all the input to the mechanics when I take it in.
    Going in for first oil change and to fix vibration. How did the tires do?
  • sblaissblais Member Posts: 2
    I experienced exactely the same issue. 2 road test with the Kia mechanics where they confirm the vivration at ±65Mph. They change the driving shaft and made multiple test to resolve the issue. I also made a road test with the mechanics with an other 2013 Sorento and we both agreed that there was no similar vibration on the other vehicule.

Unfortunately, last week, they closed the case saying that it was a known and normal issue!!! I am now in a process to force them to resolve it or give me back my money by putting pressure. This is why I am also on this forum so please, keep me updated with the changes on your side. I'll do the same.

Thank you.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Funny that they would bother to change the driveshaft if it was a normal condition.
    Well- after 2 weeks in the shop they finally put a set of Michelins on and it is running much smoother. It's an uneasy feeling however, when they've tried three different sets of tires. I'm not looking fwd to 40K mi when I'll need the next set of tires.
  • sblaissblais Member Posts: 2
    Can you please provide me some additionnal information? If I understand correctly, they only change the original tires for Michelin and you dont feel the vibration at 65Mph anymore?

Did they change them under warranty?

Last question, can you tell me the dealer name and adress so I can share this information to my dealer and Kia Canada so they stop to say that this is a normal condition.

Thanks again.
    Correct - The vibrations are all but gone. At first they replaced the transfer case but that did not correct the vibrations. The michelins were added as a good will gesture - not a dealer warranty item. That means that they couldn't stop the vibrating after mounting/balancing the original tires, 2nd set of Kia tires, and Goodyear tires. The service mgr was excellent because he wouldn't settle for "that amount of" vibration is normal". The dealer is Peters of Nashua, New Hampshire USA.
    The vibrations that I have been having are especially when I come to a stop while still in gear. In park isn't as bad. The new thing is they believe it to be the alternator and the case. So it is going back to the shop for the 5 time. Thank goodness it is under warranty.
  • kay40kay40 Member Posts: 2
    My Sorento year 2007 have exactly the steering problems as described by 2BlueEyes. Unable to solve problems with Lube changes/tyre alignments. May I ask for more technical details and how/what to add this `Stepper motor' which solve the problem.
    Much appreciate your assistance on this.
    thank you. :cry: Kay40
  • kay40kay40 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your advice.
    The `Stepper motor' mentioned by 2Blueeyes, is it a different correction method? or technically its the same as your suggestion.
    kay40
  • paulf7paulf7 Member Posts: 2
    I also am experiencing vibrations on my new V-6 Sorento. I can notice it a variety of speeds and if you place your hand on the passenger headrest or place a bag on the passenger seat you can feel/see it shaking rapidly. At some speeds you can actually hear it. My dealer has looked at the SUV 3 times now and has changed the complete set of tires. No noticable shimmy or pulling on the steering but if you place it neutral you still get vibration which tells me it is not transmission.
    I really like my dealer but am getting frustrated with the run around and really feel Kia has a tire problem. A new set of 18" Michelins will really be expensive.
    I took mine in 5 times and then they said that through the KIA manufacture they found out the replacing the alternator and the casing it would fix it and it did.
  • gtalbot416gtalbot416 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the SAME issue but I have an SX. It's been to 2 different dealerships for a total of 4 times. I've driven 2 that have not vibrated but now they are saying it's normal vibrations for all Sorento's. How are you putting pressure because I want my money back as well. When I test drove the sales guy told me he would take care of me and fix it. So I took them at their word. I'm the big dummy who bought it anyway. Thanks so much!!!!
    I finally got the vibration fixed by them replacing the alternator and and casing. That was on the 5th try. I noticed a little one every once in a while but that doesn't bug me as much as the fact I am only getting 19 MPG when I was promise more. I would have never bought the car if I thought is was going to be less than my 6 CYL Hyundai. which was always 22 mpg.
    Does any one know how we going about getting our money back or getting another car. I told them I was not happy and they immediately tried to sell me another car. And get this I was only going to lose $5000 and the tax and license fees. I was told to wait until I have at least 5000 mile on it and then the mileage would get better. So now I am up to 9000 and they said they have to depreciate it because of mileage. That was after they said it would get better after 10,000. oh please.
    How do you sue them?
  • paulf7paulf7 Member Posts: 2
    Ended up being the tires...... took a while but my dealer finally took care of it. There is a warranty on the tires but it is limited. They may be prone to flat spots..... from the car sitting on the lots
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Any idea what the build date is on your Sorento? Usually that info is on a sticker on the driver's door frame.
  • sam239sam239 Member Posts: 1
    I am also having the same issue as sorento2122 and sblais. I have a 2013 V6 LX model. (I bought this after having a rental for 3 wks and was in the market for a new car so bought one after reading nothing but good reviews about this vehicle.)
    After balancing, alignment, replacing my winter tires twice and also the rims with the 2nd replacement and still the same problem.
    So they put my all season Kumho's on and it is a lot better. Vibration in steering wheel almost gone and no longer pulls to the right however I still have vibrations when at high speeds on the highway over 100KM (65mph).
    Something just isn't right and thought maybe it's just me but other people notice it too if I point it out.
    Need to again for the 6th time take it back to the dealer. Dealer has said to me at one point that if it's not the tires then it's the drive shaft...
    See what happens next.
    Sblais and gtalbot416 have you gotten anywhere since your last posts? Is there a solution to this annoying problem? Glad to discover it's not just me with this issue.
  • ydidibuykia1ydidibuykia1 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my 2011 Sorento in August of 2011. In January of 2012 it needed a new motor at 8100 miles. In March of 2012 I replaced the inside light console, later that same year the wheel sensors and a bracket that helps to control the brakes was loose. Now August of 2013 I need a new axcel. This is terrible, horrible that i'm having these problems at 35,000 miles. Please think about my issues when you consider buying your next car or truck
  • jbussey2jbussey2 Member Posts: 1

I purchased a 2013 Kia Sorento and I have had nothing but problems. I just had my 4th alignment because my car constantly pulls to the left and the car vibrates when I approach 60mph. Kia blames bad road conditions but this has been since I drove off of the lot. I only have 16000 miles on it and I hate this car. Kia is useless and won't have anything to do with it. Frustrating to say the least. I will NEVER buy a Kia again. Anyone else have these problems?

• justhonestyjusthonesty Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE A 2014 KIA SORRENTO WHICH I BROUGHT TO KIA TO REPLACE THE CHEAP, PLASTIC, LEFT SIDE, FRONT AND BACK DOOR HANDLES WHICH JUST FELL OFF WHEN REACHING FOR THE DOOR HANDLE. OTHER CUSTOMERS IN THE WAITING ROOM SAID THEY KNEW OTHER PEOPLE WHO HAD THIS ISSUE TOO.
    WHILE THERE, I WAS TOLD THAT KIA WAS OFFERING A CAMPAIGN FREE ANTI-RUST UNDERCOATING ON THE KIAS, SO I AGREED. NOW, 2 WEEKS LATER, I NOTICE VIBRATIONS WHILE DRIVING. WHAT THE HECK.....COULD IT HAVE BEEN THIS UNDERCOATING THEY PUT ON THAT CAUSED IT TO ADHERE WHERE IT SHOULDN'T? NOW WHAT? DON'T THEY KNOW WHAT THE HECK THEY ARE DOING? THE CAR DID NOT VIBRATE BEFORE I HAD THE UNDERCOATING PUT ON!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well if they got it on a driveshaft, then yeah, that could cause a vibration.