Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RDX vs Mazda CX-7

Comments

• johnny98johnny98 Member Posts: 88
    According to edmunds.com, the new Subaru is merely boring, instead of seriously ugly like the last one: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/FVDP/Preview/styleId=100863480
    With its bloated weight, it competes more with the Toyota Highlander and Honda Pilot than with the RDX and CX7.
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Couple of remarks comparing the RDX and CX-7 in this Autoweek review of the Acura.
  • xgbtxgbt Member Posts: 28
    '...they finally addressed the fact that a PCM flash eliminates the turbo lag...'

Is the PCM flash a mid-term update ? Has Mazda included it in the service bulletin to apply on all CX-7 ?

I took out a rental last weekend with 14,000km on it and I did notice some sluggishness in take off, same as in the test drive I had many months ago when the CX-7 first arrived at the dealership.
    I am not sure if my rental has the PCM flash yet, and I am wondering if I buy a new one now, would it be any better ?
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Yes, if you were to buy a new CX-7, it must have the updated computer program before it leaves the lot.

The engine is not like a V6, where you will feel all the ponies right away. With the flash, the power delivery is more smooth, and you do not really feel the lag.
    In addition; the new Tribeca used regular gas in it's 3.6L engine. Maybe the best vehicle of the ones we're discussing?

Rumor has it the 2008 CX-7 will run on regular as well...
  • guelerctguelerct Member Posts: 7
    My family has owned many Outbacks and my wife has a Forrester XT so I definitely craved the Tribeca when it came out. One problem, There is an emergency brake directly to the right of the driver seat that literally pokes into my thigh. Grenated I am not a small person, but Outback and Tribeca share this design flaw which pushed me out of the Tribeca market.
  • vbbuiltvbbuilt Member Posts: 498
    Interesting. Does the emergency brake handle intrude when the brake is on or off?

Vince.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    I was just looking at the 08 spec deck for the CX-7 and it appears that premium is still recommended
    I was just looking at the 08 spec deck for the CX-7 and it appears that premium is still recommended

Take a look at the 2007 CX-7 Spec deck, you will notice it says "Required Fuel...91 Octane (Premium)" The 2008 CX-7 says "Fuel Recommended...91 Octane (Premium)"...Big big difference.
  • outbackeddyoutbackeddy Member Posts: 7
    Where did you get the 2008 info on the CX7? spec deck?
    "Take a look at the 2007 CX-7 Spec deck, you will notice it says "Required Fuel...91 Octane (Premium)" The 2008 CX-7 says "Fuel Recommended...91 Octane (Premium)"...Big big difference."

So Aviboy, what do you attribute to the difference in the language? Could it be that Mazda has modified the engine so that premium is recommended vice required?

Or could it be Mazda isn't going to modify the engine but the engineers and management have determined premium isn't as critical as they originally surmised?

I have no insight at this point, just conjecture, but it'll be interesting to compare the specs between 07 and 08.

Vince.
  • guelerctguelerct Member Posts: 7
    Yes, I brought my wife's car in for service last month and I sat in the Outback, Legacy GT, and Tribeca and they all had these annoying emergency brake handles jutting into my thigh when in the off position. I didn't even bother test driving. Same issues with the Infiniti G35, just an ergonomically bad fit for me. Bought the RDX.
    Hmmm, interesting. If it's that bad, I wonder why more people haven't spoke up about it? Surely, you're not the only person with that complaint.

So, how do you like the RDX? What's the feature you like the most?

Later, Vince.
    So Aviboy, what do you attribute to the difference in the language? Could it be that Mazda has modified the engine so that premium is recommended vice required?

There has been a lot of chatter on the net about Mazda re engineering the engine to run on regular, with no issue of preignition. What exactly they are doing? I do not know, I am not an engineer.

Has Mazda officially announced this? No. But there has been loads of talk about it. This is why I originally stated "rumor has it..."

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123666102&highlight=cx-7+regular- +fuel
    Have we seen any turbo engine running on regular gas ? I have not...

If running on regular means a loss of 30hp I wonder if anyone would want to do so.

BTW, are there any other change in the 2008 model ?
    The whole reason a turbo engine runs of premium is because of the compression ratio. Regular fuel burns at a lower temperature then premium does.
  • carlitos92carlitos92 Member Posts: 458
    Well, direct injection's cooling effect would mitigate the octane requirement, but manufacturers usually bump up the compression ratio even higher to get more power rather than run the car on regular unleaded. This is the case for the CX-7 - it really has a compression ratio that would be unusual for a normal EFI turbo.
    Agreed
    Had a test drive on both the RDX and CX-7 recently. Here are the differences to a non-aggressive driver.

Ride
    Both are firm, but the CX-7 is more compliant and comfortable. The RDX is a bit jittery on less than perfect surface that you feel every bump.

Acceleration
    CX-7 is sluggish off the line; RDX is smoother when accelerating from a stop and in stop-and-go situation. Once rolling, however, CX-7 is smooth and has strong mid-range power. RDX is also strong but feels busy like reviving a typical 4-cylinder whereas CX-7 is muted like a V6.

Handling
    The steering on RDX is lighter, and so is its gas pedal. Together with a more up-right driving posture, it is much easier to drive around town. CX-7 has heavier steering and gas pedal - good on the highway - but takes more effort and feels heavy in parking lot and other tight maneuver. I would describe RDX as a city warrior and the CX-7 as highway cruiser.

Seating comfort
    Seating is more up-right in RDX as in most SUV's. Inside CX-7 you naturally sit more reclined as in a sedan, and the front seats (leather) are very comfortable. The rear seat cushion in CX-7 is a bit low whereas the RDX is chair-high and provides more thigh support despite a slightly uneven floor.

My personal opinion
    I drive a lot in the city so I like the light and easy maneuver of the RDX and its smooth launch. However, the ride and the mid-range performance of CX-7 are more refined giving it a more luxurious feel. The large windshield and the low dashboard give the CX-7 a panoramic view and together with the comfortable (leather) seats it feels very satisfying sitting at the front, especially as a front passenger. It's tough, but if I have to choose between the two, I think I will pick the CX-7 for its style, more composed ride, and the great satisfaction sitting inside and live with its less than perfect launch and heavy maneuvering in the city.
    This is one of the best test reports I've seen in awhile. You took the time to compare each on it's own merits, feature for feature.

What were you thoughts on the interior, i.e. materials, lay-out, technology?

Vince.
  • johnny98johnny98 Member Posts: 88
    Interior refinement and luxury is a personal preference issue. Personally, I felt that the CX7 interior was similar to the RAV4 or CRV. Even in a fully loaded CX7, you get basically the same budget interior as the base CX7.
    I would agree that the material and workmanship on the RDX is a par higher (like Audi versus BMW), but it's the layout of the CX-7 that makes me like it better. It's a personal thing though.

The models I drove did not have navigation nor did I have time to try it out, so can't comment on the technology. In my understanding RDX has Blue Tooth and CX-7 does not.

I used to like interior of the Murano a lot (the low dash and the wide windshield), but now CX-7 is my favorite. :-)
    I would like to elaborate a bit on the initial sluggishness on the CX-7.

There appears to be a hesitation in the shifting from the 1st to the 2nd gear within the first car-length when you accelerate gently from a stop. Also, when you slow down, it drops to the 3rd gear and stays there until it comes to a full stop (and then it switches to the 1st gear). The problem is, when you put your foot back on the gas just before coming to a full stop, it's in the 3rd gear, and there's another hesitation in the kick down to the 2nd gear.

I had similar experience with Mazda6 before, though not as pronounced - not sure if it's because of the turbo engine on the CX-7.

Just wondering why Mazda cannot do as well as others in this regard, especially the RDX which also uses a small turbo engine.
  • farupnorthfarupnorth Member Posts: 3
    When I first had my CX-7, I noticed that hesitation off the block but have since had a flash (or whatever it's called) performed at the dealership. It really smoothed out the start. (I haven't noticed the deceleration and 3rd gear issue you noted, but applaud your attentiveness.) Though it seems odd that the dealer wouldn't have re-flashed all the cars on the lot, perhaps you tried one without the fix.

Thanks again.
  • fonefixerfonefixer Member Posts: 247
    Coming from a twin turbo Audi, I tend to notice off the line performance and turbo lag. My AWD CX-7 doesn't have any apparent lag off the line, but I do notice a bit of "hesitation" btween 5th and 6th gear. The gear changes seem tighter until 5th gear.At 5, the engine seems to "drop off" a bit until 6th kicks in and the revs go back up.

In manual mode, I can get the engine into 5th almost immediately and it pulls exceptionally well at all but the slowest speeds. Can get into 6th as low as 38 mph, but of course there isn't much power in 6th until well over 60 mph.
    The CX-7 I had for the test drive was a rental. So I am not sure if it had the flash done. I will take a test drive from a dealer for the latest version (or the '08 model) when I am ready to buy. :-) Hopefully it will have all the problems resolved. However I am still worried about the gas bill (gas consumption and premium gas). :-(
  • suvsearcher1suvsearcher1 Member Posts: 23
    I test drove 2007 RDX with tech last week and today I got to test drive 2008 CX-7 GT AWD and found these differences. Most of them I know have been mentioned by other people on board but I would like to add them here.

1. Both have some amount of turbo lag which can be easily avoided once you get used to it. Surprisingly with CX-7, I felt a slight less lag maybe because its a 2008 model and Mazda has done something about it.

2. RDX's engine is much more smoother and refined. It is also less noisy when pressing the gas paddle from a stop.

3. Interior is good in both, however in CX-7 I felt a little bit cramped, especially since the center console is little forward towards the driver. CX-7 has more plastic, but the plastic looks and feels good. It did not give me a cheap feeling though I would agree the RDX interior has better material but the center console layout is not as clean as CX-7. I liked the steering and the visibility of the gauges better in RDX. In Mazda I felt the gauges to be kind of hidden behind the steering wheel and the temp/radio display a little closer to the driver than the RDX. Since both has steering wheel mounted audio controls I would prefer the display to be closer to the windshield to give a comfortable view while keeping an eye on the road.

4. CX-7 had more passing power especially from 40 to 80 miles per hour. RDX seems to struggle a bit more between these speeds. The steering in CX-7 is tight and it feels more comfortable when you are 40 miles/hour or above. The RDX on other hand is more nimble and if you are driving in town its more comfortable. I took an exit from the highway at more than 40 miles per hour in CX-7 and there was some amount of body roll. The pushy car sales man sitting next to me was swept to the side. I did not get a chance to test this with RDX.

6. The ride in RDX is more bouncy, but if you are driving on a smooth road it gives a much smoother feel than CX-7. However the speed bumpers can be a real annoyance in RDX and you have to drive real slow over them.

Overall I liked both of them and I thought once I will test drive both of them it would be easier to pick. I find myself more confused now as to which one to pick. Though I would like to add that at this moment I am slightly leaning towards RDX.
    Good report! Seems like it's "6 of one, half-dozen of the other", eh?

You didn't mention your impressions about environmental controls; techy stuff such as sound system or navigation, blue tooth, aux inputs for MP3; seating comfort; cargo capacity; interior lighting; etc. All of rest of those considerations will help you make the right choice!

Bet you're having fun, eh?

Vince.
  • suvsearcher1suvsearcher1 Member Posts: 23
    The CX-7 I drove did not had the Tech package. It also did not had the Sunroof/Bose package, so I was not able to test these in CX-7. However the environment controls in CX-7 GT are very nice, especially the silver color knob to change the temperature.
    Seating comfort is good in both CX-7 and RDX and I did not find much of a difference there too, though seats are one of the most important feature to me.
    I did checked the navigation system in RDX and it is really cool. The backup camera picture was a little dark though. I am not sure if that is how it is every car.
    Overall the tech stuff is secondary to me, primary being the comfort and how the car rides and in this I felt RDX has a slight edge.
    Touch choice, huh? In cases like this, rely on your gut instinct bolstered by your logic and objectivity.

In other words, which one is the most fun to drive, has the most pizzazz and gives you that sense of exhilaration.

You've got your answer, I suspect! Enjoy! :P

Vince.
    Suvsearcher1, while your memory on the 2007 RDX is still fresh, could you go take a test drive of the 2008 model ? Some posts said the ride in the 2008 model is less bouncy and somewhat more comfortable. To me the harsh ride (on less than perfect roads) is one of the major issues holding me back on the RDX... Thanks.
  • dairyshickdairyshick Member Posts: 129
    Any decision made on the CX-7 vs. RDX dilemma? They're definitely a good match for each other and it says a lot for Mazda to be building cars that can now make people second guess getting a luxury nameplate versus saving money and still driving away with a very good car. I'm just glad ford has done a pretty good job of not designing Mazdas to look as cheap as fords! (more so the interiors...exteriors are getting much better)
    I'm just glad ford has done a pretty good job of not designing Mazdas to look as cheap as fords! (more so the interiors...exteriors are getting much better)

That is because Mazda is it's own company. They are not just another Ford vehicle. They just have a 33.4% stake in the company.

We don't say Toyota owns Subaru do we? Yes, Toyota owns a small piece of Subaru, 9% I think, and here in the states, they build vehicles in the same plant.
    Mazda is clearly not their own company (as you say) when most of their vehicles share platforms with ford vehicles...that's probably just a coincidence, though, and would have nothing to do with Ford having ownership in them.
    Furthermore, Ford even lists Mazda as a parent company on its main page, whereas Subaru is non-existent on Toyota's website...this fact alone obviously doesn't prove the differences between Ford/Mazda and Toyota/Subaru, but helps to show that Ford does have a slight hand in the decision-making of Mazda..i.e Escape/Tribute; Mazda3/S40; CX-9/Edge...the same can't be said for any Toyota/Subaru vehicles.

...despite Ford's involvement, my point is that Mazdas are very nice cars mostly because they are distinctively different from any other Ford vehicles (99% of the time).
  • unixxusunixxus Member Posts: 97
    I'm just glad ford has done a pretty good job of not designing Mazdas to look as cheap as fords!

Your point was that Ford designs cars for Mazda. Although Ford has a controlling 33.4% stake in Mazda, Mazda designs its own cars. Mazda has design studios in Japan, California, and Germany. Your statement makes it seem like Mazdas are designed by engineers in Dearborn, Michigan. Renault of France has a controlling interest in Nissan, however, I am yet to hear that Nissans and Infinitis are designed by Renault, nor where past Chryslers designed by Mercedes. Ford's stake in Mazda gives it veto power in board room decisions not in the design direction of Mazda vehicles. I seriously doubt that Ford hates itself so bad that they will design better products for Mazda than for itself. The credit to Mazda's design goes to Mazda and not Ford.
    You made the point better then I could. Thank's.

Just because there is technology sharing does not mean Ford does everything. The Mazda3 is on a Volvo platform, the Fusion is on a Mazda platform, as is the Edge and CX-9 (modified Mazda platform) Ford and Mazda use Volvo's AWD system (made by Haldex).

Mazda's chief designer is Laurens Van den Acker. Ford's is J Mays.
  • boomerdawgboomerdawg Member Posts: 3
    Having driven the cx-7 and 9 within the last week and the RDX today, I would like to comment on the tech side. Having heavily modified my vehicles aftermarket for some time (usually Alpine/McIntosh/JL audio/MB Quart) one of my highest consideration factors is the tech end, as I think OEM has finally reached a point where I can buy a vehicle and be happy with not modifying it. My impressions of the RDX are as follows: There were so many buttons and levers etc. on the steering wheel I had to keep myself from laughing initially, after about an hour in the vehicle I started to get a feel for them and decided that the voice integration was better than what I experienced in the CX-9. (the 7 I tested did not have the tech upgrade, hence the 9 experience)Sound quality was very close, however I am inclined to give the nod to the Bose system in the CX. The RDX definitely gets the lead for system/vehicle information available over the RX,the RX-7 was unable to provide basic current MPG usage (I like to watch that a lot of the time). THe RDX was VERY detailed with the info that could be displayed, from power disbursementto all four tires or tire psi to just about anything you wanted to see about the vehicle systems. The RDX did not have an available integrated rear entertainment system unlike the CX, which means I would have to purchase that aftermarket, so kudos to the RX in that area. All in all, I think the RDX is more technologically advanced than the CX-7 (or 9), and I still need to conduct a few more test drives to be sure, however I think I'm leaning about 2-5% off the center to the RDX. Toghest decision on a vehicle purchase I've faced, to be sure.
  • 200hpnup200hpnup Member Posts: 1
    Test drove both the RDX (MSRP $33,500) and CX-7 ($24,000) recently. Both base cars. No bells and whistles. My sister-in-law purchased the RDX and I purchased the CX-7. Here's my thought; sincerely on neutral ground.

Ride quality
    Firm, but the CX-7 feels more roomier and suspension is tight like a sports car. The RDX is not as good on handling but ok. A bit soft in my opinion.

Acceleration
    CX-7 is lagging from 0-to ?? but from 15-to?? feels fast once you reach over 2500 rpm. RDX is smoother when accelerating from a stop. No lag. But clumsy on handling during acceleration.

Handling
    RDX handles like and Accord not too sporty but ok. A bit wobbly. CX-7 handles like a BMW 3 series. Is like driving with Bilstein shocks. Excellent on handling especially on mountain roads. RDX is a cruiser and the CX-7 is a windy road warrior.

Seating
    Seating is more up-right in RDX as in most SUV's. Inside CX-7 cushion is sporty and bucket seats wrap around you. The rear seat cushion in CX-7 is low. RDX rear seats has a little more space.

My personal opinion
    CX-7 has a cool design compared to RDX

RDX has better quality material used in the car than CX-7

Gas mpg is comparable 18 mpg/22mpg (city/hwy)

HP is similar 244hp on CX-7 and 240 on RDX with comparable torque 255lb/ft on CX-7 and 260lb/ft on RDX

Aftermarket parts CX-7 has CAI for $270 and will increase hp by 9-10hp and not to mention you will here the turbo once you install it. Not sure about RDX.

Both require 91 octane. But 2008 CX-7 did a reflash on the ECU to just "Recommend" 91 octane instead of "required". Check with dealer on this (not sure yet). Personally, spend extra $0.20/gal, enjoy the turbo and make it last using 91.

BOTTOM LINE...I got my 2007 CX-7-sport for $19,995 + tax & lic. and my sister-in-law paid $31,800 (no/navi) + tax & lic. That's almost $12k difference. Why not buy another car with that kind of money! You can definitely get a decent car like an 02 Altima or 05 Civic, etc. I got a used 97 Lexus ES300 for $6,500.
    I got my 2007 CX-7-sport for $19,995

How the heck did you manage that? Is it AWD? It has an MSRP of $26,045. Invoice is $24,406. There is $2000 of incentives, that brings you to $22,406. The CX-7's are selling like hot cakes, how did you manage $2,500 UNDER invoice???

I have been sold out of 2007's for about 2 months, and my 2008's are going fast.
    "How the heck did you manage that? Is it AWD? It has an MSRP of $26,045. Invoice is $24,406. There is $2000 of incentives, that brings you to $22,406. The CX-7's are selling like hot cakes, how did you manage $2,500 UNDER invoice???

I have been sold out of 2007's for about 2 months, and my 2008's are going fast."

Not as unusual as you think. I noticed an ad in the Washington Post yesterday, advertising new 2007 "up to $5000 off". I don't know what model, but I'm assuming they're the base model.

Vince
    Alright people, I have never seen replies so far off from the original point. Bringing up other companies such as Toyota, Renault and Chrysler has nothing to do with my point. They have different ownership involvement compared to Ford/Mazda. I am well aware that all of their vehicles aren't the same, but some have been very similar (again, the Tribute is a perfect example). These days, most companies are tied in with another, but how they are involved varies widely. Just because Renault doesn't do anything visible with Nissan/Infiniti doesn't mean that Ford doesn't have a more active involvement with Mazda. They share plenty of platforms and Mazdas do exist that are simply re-badged Fords (or vice versa for the sake of not upsetting anyone again). So, to say that Mazda designs cars completely independent of Ford shows a complete lack of sense. I am not denying that they don't have different design teams, but their design teams obviously have some interaction/coordination with each other, which varies from car to car.

To re-iterate what has been lost in this babble: The CX-7 is a nice car and is distinct from other Ford-related vehicles.
    They share plenty of platforms and Mazdas do exist that are simply re-badged Fords (or vice versa for the sake of not upsetting anyone again).

Yes, the Tribute and B-Series pick-up. The B-Series is almost extinct. Also, how much influence does a "platform" really have on a vehicle. Look at the Edge and CX-9. Totally different. There is no comparison.

The CX-7 is a nice car and is distinct from other Ford-related vehicles.

I ask you, how is the CX-7 related to other Ford vehicles? The CX-7 shares nothing with any Ford vehicle.
    Aviboy, normally I agree with you, but...

A few weeks ago I was rotating the tires on my CX-7, and was surprised to see "FoMoCo" on the front brake calipers. They, at least, are shared with a Ford something, I would think... ;)

-c92
    surprised to see "FoMoCo" on the front brake calipers

Yes, they do, but, just because the calipers are a Ford part, does not mean that the CX-7 is a Ford designed vehicle. Every vehicle made has parts sourced from other companies. Honda and Toyota shared transmissions for years, made by Aisin, as in the CX-7.

Bottom line, there is no vehicle that is entirely made by that mfgr. The CX-7 was not engineered, or designed by Ford. I believe that would be an accurate statement.
    carlitos92-

Check out your window sticker, if you still have it, it states "US/Canadian Parts Source 0%"

Maybe Mazda uses the brake caliper molds to produce the brake caliper, that is why is says "FoMoCo" on it.
  • unixxusunixxus Member Posts: 97
    Just because Renault doesn't do anything visible with Nissan/Infiniti doesn't mean that Ford doesn't have a more active involvement with Mazda.

Just because you are not aware of the interactions between Nissan and Renault (parts, platform, and engine sharing to name a few) does not mean there is none.

but their design teams obviously have some interaction/coordination with each other, which varies from car to car.

So how do you then attribute the design of the Mazda CX-7 exclusively to Ford as you stated (quoted below). Engineering and parts sharing is not the same as design. I think you have the two confused. Yes Ford and Mazda collaborate on engines, platforms etc, but it gets to a point in the development of a vehicle where each team will have to independently develop the product in order to give the product its respective brand DNA.

"I'm just glad ford has done a pretty good job of not designing Mazdas to look as cheap as fords! "
    Yes, just think if Matisse would've signed "Picasso" to some of his paintings only because he borrowed Pablo's brush! ;)
  • d_hyperd_hyper Member Posts: 130
    I just hope Mazda is "Matisse" in your analogy ;)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    There's a Mazda5 pun in there somewhere, but it's best to let that van go. :P
  • pxleakpxleak Member Posts: 7
    It was hard for me and my wife to decide then what to buy between these two. But what triggered us to get the cx-7 was the back seat and the price difference. We got ours 06 for the 07 model of cx-7. The RDX then was 10k more with the cramp back seat, excellent tech package, nice interior and body quality. Both have 240-244HP and the cx-7 has a touch screen which is more easy to navigate even driving unlike the RDX. The bluetooth and acurate tire monitoring system are also big pluses and heated seats since we live on a snowy state. CX-7 also only alarms you when you get very low PSI reading on the tires. But the real off's for us was the price and cramped back seat. If RDX was the same price as the cx-7 sport w/tech that we had not including tax. Then it would be even harder for us to decide what to get.

When we looked at the RDX then I asked the sales person about the back seat and he could hardly fit inside. He said you can't get everything and I agree with you on that. Today I placed a TURBO badge from the RDX on my cx-7 works wonders when another CX is on my rear and they be looking WTF! Probably wondering if a new CX-7 turbo model just came out or was it just a decal :)
This discussion has been closed.