Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Corvette Electrical Problems

Comments

• nautinauti Member Posts: 5
    hrm...my '95 just started that crap w/ the passenger window. years ago it would cut out from time to time..then it fixed itself so to speak for the past 4 or 5 years. just recently it started up again on one occasion then was fine and a month later it just quit working. had to take it apart to get it back up that day.. ran outa time and had to leave for work and since have not gotten back to pinpointing the problem. ...i feel like im rambling. lol. good night gang!
    I've not had one problem since i replaced the starter. Then again it's my baby and it doesnt get out of its safe and cozy little spot in the garage a whole lot ;)
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    If this is a manual transmission, in 2005 there was a big problem with draining the battery if the car was not placed in reverse before shutting it down.

There is a 're-flash' of the computer that is supposed to stop this problem. Has this been done? With the amount of work done on your car, and this being a well-known problem with 2005 and early 2006 manuals, I sure would think your dealer would know about this and have done the reflash.

Other than this, I don't have anything else. I've never read about a problem this bad. Has the new battery been tested? You could have gotten a bad battery, one with a bad cell, and it is not charging.
  • bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,466
    Hoo boy. Mine fixed itself too, and I had hoped that was that. It sounds like it may come and go. We should share any future information that we get on this problem.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• archiefriendarchiefriend Member Posts: 7
    Help! I bought 2009 6 speed Corvette in October 2008. I drove it about 100 miles and then put it in my garage for the winter. This morning, 4/5/09, both doors unlocked, and my 6 year old daughter and I got in without a problem. But then I discovered not only that it wouldn't start, but the hood wouldn't unlatch. Then, to my horror, the doors wouldn't unlock for me or my daughter. Fighting a feeling of raw panic, I was about 10 seconds away from kicking out the windows, and then I remembered the manual targa top, through which I was able to get my daughter and myself out of the car.

Please - how can I recharge the battery, if I can't get the hood to unlatch?

Thanks,
    DR
    Not familiar with the newer vettes..but I do know that all newer chevys are notorious for their batteries dying if vehicle is not at least started and ran for a few minutes every 2 weeks or so... Perhaps file a complaint at url : http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov In the meantime.. Good Luck!! ;)
    First, you need to read your manual. Whoever delivered the car to you should have also explained all the following to you.

There are ways to enter and exit your Corvette when the battery is dead.

Along the left side of drivers seat, and the right side of passenger seat are small levers which will manually open the doors from the inside.

You have a regular 'key' which will open the rear hatch via a lock above the license plate. Then, there is a pull tab inside the hatch on the left wall which will open the driver door.

Yes, Corvettes have a somewhat significant battery drain at all times. You did not drive the car for about 5-6 months. Especially if the battery was not fully charged when you shut it down, this might be 'normal' results - a dead battery. The battery could have been significantly discharged while new with doors being left open, many short drives around the lot, etc, etc, etc. And 100 miles might have never brought the battery up to full charge, especially if you only made short trips, left the doors open, etc, etc. And then you let it sit for 5-6 months. You did not leave the 'FOB' inside the car all this time, did you? This will really discharge the car, since the system thinks you are about to start the car and remains 'awake' all the time, with a significant power drain. When you park the car, move the FOB outside the car. I would recommend at least 10 feet or more. This should let the car go into sleep mode with minimum discharge. But the car is drawing some power all the time. The car has to be able to recognize when the FOB approaches the car within 3 feed in order to automatically unlock the doors, if locked. It then senses the FOB when inside. Also, by 2009, all Corvettes had Onstar as a standard feature, if you/dealer activated it (first year free, so it was probably activated), Onstar will query the car once a month to check the sensors, so the Onstar system remains 'awake' all the time. I receive an email each month which reports various status items on my car. This monthly query will pull some power.

Overall, don't leave a modern car will a large set of electrical features for this long without running it. Or, remove the negative battery cable, or better still, put a trickle charger on the battery all the time when stored.

Now, about the hood that won't open. This is a very unusal case. Are you SURE you are pulling on the latch inside the drivers footwell correctly?

If it will not open, I would not want the car dragged out of my garage and loaded on a wrecker to be taken to the garage. But, with a manual tranny, you can at least get the tranny into neutal so the car will roll and can be pulled onto a truck.

What I would do, is have the dealer send someone out that knows how to 'jump' the car from the bottom. The car can be jacked up on the right side and a charger or 'jump box' can be attached from the right under side to the positive terminal on the starter, and a ground somewhere under there. The car should then start. And then drive it to the dealer and let them try to get the hood open. I only hope they don't break something getting into it.

Oh, and jacking up a Corvette is not an ordinary operation either. The jack has to be positioned in the correct place on the side of the car. If it is placed under the plastic painted side panels, which wrap around and under the car, the panel will definitely crack, and these are not easily repaired. Jack only on the open place on the bottom where the plastic, painted panel is not at.

I don't see this as a 'failure' on the car. A lot of this you seem to be unaware of, but this is an electrically complicated auto, and should not be expected to be left for 5 months without being started or having a charger attached.

Good luck. When you get into the car, I recommend a new battery, because this one being left deeply discharged for quite some time, will probably again quickly fail, even after being charged, causing future problems.

Also, after a dead battery, the windows need to be 'indexed'. I'm leaving this item as something you can find in the owners manual and do. In general, read the manual, there is a world of info in there you need to know.
  • framboframbo Member Posts: 1
    Regarding the experience in the keyless vets where the doors let you in,but once inside the car wont start and the doors wont open. This also seems to happen with a dead fob-battery. That happened to me, but I did know about the emergency release knob. This initially triggered the alarm, but then the door opened. Moreover if it is just a dead battery in the fob, there is a slot in the glove compartment for the fob, which signals the transmitter even if the battery in the fob is dead. This worked fine for me and the car started.
    By the way, if the vet is running already and you let someone else drive it alone and you forget to give them the key and dont tell them about the emergency release they can get trapped as well. That is a lawsuit waiting to happen IMO, especially on an electric top convertible
  • grandstaffgrandstaff Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I was wondering if you fixed your instrument lighting problem? I have exactly the same issue with my 87 convertible. I used to be able to lightly tap the dash and they would come back on. Now they are out all the time. Also when the background lights are not working the emergency flasher and bright light indicator stay on all the time. Like you in the right light I can see all the gauges functioning. My last attempt at repairing this problem I pulled the instrument cluster and replaced the 4 lights. Still have the same problem. Any advise from your experience? I would welcome thoughts from anyone else as well. PMG
  • streetrodder2streetrodder2 Member Posts: 2
    I am working with my friend on his 2001 Corvette and there is a constant drain on the battery where after a couple of days the battery is dead. We have disconnected everything on the car but hear a click like a relay in the nose of the car every time we connect the battery up. We have pulled fuses on everything, one at a time but still get the clicking sound no matter what we do. It' not that easy to get at anything in front of the radiator to see what might be causing the problem. I know there are some knowedgeable guys out there that may be able to help. We would sure appreciate any help. Thank You
    Well, since you seen to be open to wild guesses, I'll throw out the click being relay/s for the electric fans on the radiator. I'm not sure if this is the power drain or not.

When pulling the fuses, have you gotten access to an ampmeter with a significant power capability (saying this because the ampmeter on most multimeters usually cannot handle much power), somthing that can manage 2 or 3 amps.

When you have this, put the ampmeter in series with the positive battery cable. In other words, wire it up so all the power to the car runs thru the ampmeter. Then, you should see how much power is being pulled. And start pulling fuses. When the power drops, you have at least finally found the circuit that is draining the battery. And, then the real fun starts when you try to find what component in the circuit has the problem.

You are going to almost surely need the factory service manual to find this, unless you just stumble on the problem.

There might be a problem in the alternator and it pulls power all the time, and this might not be fused thru the regular fuses. I'm not sure how to check for this.

On, and here is my stand standard comment about electrical problem. If the car has an after market security system, remote starting system, or heavy duty stereo added on - these are the first things I would suspect. These systems all are cut into various parts of the electronics, and when their electronic components and/or connections start to go had - you are going to get electrical problems.
  • dtrost92dtrost92 Member Posts: 1
    the dealership in Ohio has not been able to locate a new ECM to replace defective part. anyone have one for sale? 1992 bucks/stalls panel lights up like a christmas tree and then shuts down...never know when it will do it...leave it set for 1-2 days and resets itself..help? spring is here and I want to put the top down and cruise..it is in the shop more than on the road :mad:
  • zr1z71lt1zr1z71lt1 Member Posts: 4
    Dome lite does not come on when the door is opened?
    The little button in the door frame is dirty or broken?
  • slimmersonslimmerson Member Posts: 2
    I finally took it to the dealer and they replaced the motor and regulator, it was a little pricy but it has worked so what can I say?
    Thank you for your reply. I found broken a wire.
    Thank you for your reply. I found it.
  • sandy46sandy46 Member Posts: 1
    82 vette
    i have a short in my system that is not fuse protected at least i dont think so because im not getting any blown fuse's and it is continous.
    when i parked it last evening the alarm sounded and i could not get it to quit so i disconnected the battery and when i reconnect this A M i had a very strong spark at the battery, the car run's and the amp gauge show's about 13.5 volts at all times but my battery went dead when just in for breakfast.
    I am not familiar with the alarm system on this car (ie how to shut it off or dismantle it) and there is nothing i can find in my manual's that refer to the alarm.
    Can anyone out there help me
    Thanks
    Sandy
  • rfbigpawrfbigpaw Member Posts: 2
    I'm experiencing the same problems comanche1 had (same year vehicle). Has anyone else had this problem and if so, what was the solution? Contacted a few dealers and they all seam to think the main computer is bad but that's CHA CHING! CHA CHING! and I really do not want to go that route unless I have to. I have supplied what comanche1 wrote below. Thanks everyone.

02 conv. vett. 2 days ago the switches on the driver door would not work at all.
    After opening and closing the door they would again work. Then the following day
    all the switches went out and while driving the oil went to zero, the Temp went to
    red and messages began to apear telling me, check engine, low engine power,
    check tire pressure and some more. I pulled over, shut the car down and upon
    restarting everything functioned fine except the door switched. As I pulled away
    it started all over again (3 times) .I opened the door and squeezed the boot holding the wires and the door switches worked. All mechanical functions seemed to work fine during all this
  • comanche1comanche1 Member Posts: 5
    I finally had a dealer replace the wire harness that passes from door to body.
    After moving the plastic shroud around the harness it would sometimes work momentarily. Clue to the problem.
    Comanche1
    After turning the headlights off both lights go down but the left one pops back up about 3/4 of the way. Cycling the lights again they come on fine but again when
    they go down the left pops up abut 3/4 of the way.
  • rfbigpawrfbigpaw Member Posts: 2
    When you replaced the harness, did that solve the problems. I'm thinking it may be a short in the harness because my drivers window would not let up and it was not until i squeezed the harness did the window go up. Now the battery is down, GEEZ...I'm starting to taste lemonade.
  • billz6billz6 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 2009 Z-06. The saleman told me always to park in reverse or the battery would flat. Had it 7 months now, no problems.
  • dchalkydchalky Member Posts: 4
    If I remember, parking with car in reverse was a 2005 requirement. No longer applies to C6 after 2005.
    Agree with dchalky. Only a problem with 2005 (early 2006?) 6 speeds. And, this car could have a software 'flash' to correct the problem.

You car should not have a problem.

Except, the battery is small, the car has large electric requirements, and many people (including me) don't drive them enough to keep the battery charged.

If you are going to let the car sit for a couple of weeks or more, get a trickle charger and keep it on the battery.

P.S. Your salesman doesn't know much about Corvettes.
  • gmscamgmscam Member Posts: 7
    Had simular problem a few years ago when I changed the weather stripping. Arlam would go off periodicly and couldn't shut it down. OK this is what was happening, the door lach was a bit worn so new weather strip was not allowing the door to fully lock and the alarm sensor detected the door was open setting off the alarm and draining the battery. Changed the lach's and everything went back to normal. Hope that helps.

93 Ruby Anniversary, original owner
  • pmourrypmourry Member Posts: 1
    I am now having the same exact problem. It appears to be the harness which is what I was thinking was wrong. Was that the fix?
    My problem was the courtesy timer.
  • pbozpboz Member Posts: 1
    When I turn on the key of my 85 Vette the gages light up, but they are very dim. Speedometer and tach light up fine. So far the only thing I have done is take the module out & take it apart checking for bad bulbs. Fat chance. I suspect I have some kind of a grounding problem, but I can't figure out where it grounds.
    Thanks
  • higgy62higgy62 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 07 C6 and while driving down the road my dash and radio went blank and then came back on with the radio set to a default setting. Went to the dealer for warranty and they could not find anything in thememory. Their suggestion was if and when it happened again, I should call On-Star and request a diagnostic. What should I be looking for?
    They gave you a dumb answer. Onstar can only see the same 'codes' that are set and can be read out by the dealer. If it set a code, and even if the code cleared quickly, it usually is stored in memory as a 'History' code.

In general, it looks like something opened up the power to the circuit to the dash and radio for a short time. Or something went bad in a computer module for these.

About the only thing you can do now is get into the fuse box (boxes) and wiggle the fuses and breakers and relays and make sure they are all well seated.

And wait for it to happen again, permanently.
  • jalisajalisa Member Posts: 1
    I have a 92 vette also, and experienced the same problem after the car sat up for a few months but they eventually started working correctly on their own. Now if I could just find out why my display will not show anything, no speed, fuel
    nothing!
  • a1hans1a1hans1 Member Posts: 1
    Comanche1, Hi I have a 1999 Corvette convertable and the exact same thing happened to me driving up to SF last nite. But it didn't stop, problem still there this morning. What did you find was the cause? please help. Thanx, a1hans1
    I ended up at the dealer. It turned out to me a bad wire in the harness that runs from the door switches thru the door post to the connection behind the side kick panel on the left side of driver. Suprise it was only $ 86 dollars installed.
  • rossross Member Posts: 17
    I have a 95 LT1. The last two times I drove it, when I turned the key, the idiot lights came on but nothing else happened. I turned the key off and turned it on again and it started immediately. I thought I had not originally turned it far enough the first time, but after the second time, think that I may have a developing problem. Anybody else have a problem starting like this? I have occassionally had to jump it off if I don't drive it for a few weeks, but that is expected due to the alarm from what I read on here. I am capable of replacing the starter myself, but I don't want to play musical parts until I :cry: find the right defective part.
    Thanks for any help.
    I have an 07 C6 vette that recently has had the Check Engine light come on every time I fill the gas tank. I have taken it to the dealer twice to have it reset and each time they come up with some kind of story. First time they said that the cap was not put on correctly, the second time, they said that the car will run it's diagnostic at a scheduled time and if the cap is off for fueling then the light will come on. Supposedly they have run a pressure test on all of the lines the gas tank the cap and nothing shows up. Any suggestions beside getting a new dealer(service area)?
  • WwilltWwillt Member Posts: 8
    It could be your ignition switch is going out. I had a similar problem a few years ago on my '94. Mine start slower and slower intermittely. I would have to wait about 10 or 15 minutes, then it would start. But would get progressively more and more slower to start intermittely.
    Sounds like a bad fuel cap to me. There is a code for this. Has the dealer told you specifically what the code is? If the check engine light was lit, there was a code set.

You might have not put the cap on right, but if you are making it click, it is on correctly.

Bad caps are well known as a problem. If the code indicates the cap is not tight, put a new cap on it.

Also - you aren't letting the engine run while you are fueling are you? This will set the check engine light every time.
    Thanks. I appreciate the information. I have made a conscious effort to tighten the cap and make it click. I will look at the service documents to see if they wrote down a code (error message).
  • main1ljmain1lj Member Posts: 2
    I have an 89 corvette and I was working on the Starter relay and discovered that my Starter was bad. I then changed my starter but found that after my power windows wont work. Any ideas?
  • main1ljmain1lj Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem sometimes. I have an 89 vette and I have driven out for the day all is well then stop for a while and boom. No start for no reason. Then wait for 20 minutes it will start agin like nothing ever happened. I am not sure but one thing I know is that I drove my car to storage for 7 weeks and when I cam back the Vette wont start. I checked everything starter relay, battery, all are good. Then I used my meter to check the voltage on the starter itself and the voltage was 12v good. So I changed the starter. I think that these vettes have a starter problem. they have heat stress starters. Your starter is right above the exhaust pipes and it gets smoking hot. they make a shield for your starter that helps to block the heat. Check to see if you have one. This will greatly reduce the heat stress problem for the starter. Go to Ecklers or someone like that online.
    Hope this helps.
  • newvibebuyernewvibebuyer Member Posts: 14
    My passenger door will not unlock so it can be opened from the outside. I have the DIC set so both doors should unlock when I get near with the fob and open the driver's door. Even if I operate the unlock button on either door or on the fob, the door still will not open from the outside. I have to reach across and press the door open button to allow someone to get in.

2008/C6 Convertible, 20K, LS3, 6-speed manual
  • harleydave1harleydave1 Member Posts: 1
    Hey...my 2005 automatic has the same symptons you had....what did the dealer find wrong...what repairs were needed...I would really appreciate any help...my car has been sitting for a month...won't start!
  • newvibebuyernewvibebuyer Member Posts: 14
    My dealer checked for Codes and found that the passenger side door touch pad (opens the door from the outside) was sending a code that it was being pressed. When the system sees that the pad is being pressed, it won't unlock the door. The dealer replaced the touch pad (under warranty) and that took care of the problem. I did not have the 'Complete System Failure' that you seem to have - I just could not open the door from the outside.
  • dallas18dallas18 Member Posts: 1
    The info you provided about the battery drain is exactly what I heard today from the Chevy service department person. But, unlike the individual that stored the car for months, my 2007 battery drains completely after only sitting in the garage 3-4 days. This first happened 2 years ago and they discovered a short in the passenger seat, fixed it and gave me a new battery. For 2 years everything has been fine. My driving habits are the same. However, three weeks ago the battery was completely dead after only 4 days in the garage. I charged it, drove it to the dealer, they couldn't find anything wrong, but gave me a new battery. This week, the same thing happened. I had it towed so they could put a small charge on it and test to find out what was draining the battery. Diagnosis - they don't know. They told me I need to drive it more often and for longer periods of time! And, no, I don't store my keys anywhere near the car and no I don't have Onstar. Any other ideas from anyone. Chevy sure doesn't have a clue.
  • rossross Member Posts: 17
    My 95 was always running down when I didn't drive it for a few days. I understand that the security system is constantly draining it waiting for the key fob to come within 10 feet of it. I replaced the battery and no change. I was going to get a battery maintainer but found a solar charger that plugs into the cigarette lighter and I haven't had a dead battery since. I got it at either Harbor Freight or Northern tools. I just run the solar panel to the back of the car where it can catch the sun while idle. Hope this works for you to. My neighbor has a Viper that had the same problem as it was not driven frequently and he got a battery maintainer. I like my solar panel better as it free electricity.
    It should not drain the battery in just a few days (a week or less).

You either have something pulling juice, or a bad battery. A battery can fail at any time, or be bad from the start. It needs to be 'load' tested, where a hight electrical load is placed on it.

Something I've learned since I wrote the earlier comment (a year and a half ago). Having the FOB near the car will NOT cause it to run down. Now I think it needs to be out of range of the antennas, but this is only about 3 feet. If you keep the FOB this close, the car thinks you are still inside, and keeps the car 'alive'.

But if you move the FOB away, it should go complete to 'sleep' in about 20 minutes. In the last year or so I've read several messages where people have put amp meters on the car and monitored how it 'goes to sleep'. It seems to have about 2 or 3 step-downs, until it hits the lowest current draw in about 20 minutes.

Also, just walking close to the car with the FOB will NOT wake it up. You have to touch the door or hatch open button. The car monitors these buttons while asleep. When pushed, the car sends out a signal to the FOB and looks for the response. Just walking up to the car does nothing and leaves it in sleep mode.

Also, Onstar does not query the car when it is inactive. I thought it did, but looking at my email Onstar responses, you can see that the car must be woke up (driven) to communicate with Onstar. Just letting it sit in the garage will not update Onstar.

I've still got the orginial battery in my Sept 2006 model 2007 car. It has dropped one time, after sitting for about 2 months or so, to where it would not start the car. I now keep a small trickle charger on it most of the time. I think I should get a new battery in any case. 4 years on a Corvette battery is pressing your luck, unless you are driving the car almost every day.
  • livewire65livewire65 Member Posts: 1
    My 1994 vette will cut off and back on while driving causing a violent jerking I have replaced the computer, fuel pump and fuel filter does anyone have any other suggestions before I spend a mint trying to correct this issue
    Have you had the Check Engine Codes checked? Something this 'violent' might be setting a code.