Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Eclipse Engine Problems

jmazz2jmazz2 Member Posts: 3
Hi,

I have a 2001 Eclipse. Recently, I had the car winterized and my mechanic found rust in the coolant fluid. I had this performed in January also so it seems that between January and October there has been something rusting in the car engine.
My mechanic is concerned. Note that this is a 2001 with only 52,000 miles.

Anyone seen anything similiar with their vehicle?
What was rusting in the engine?

It a month, my mechanic is going to check the fluid again.

Comments

• spyderman3spyderman3 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1997 Customized spyder with a 2.4L and I am looking for a polished stainless steel high performance header and down pipe with no success. The question is will a 2005 2.4L exhaust manifold fit the 97?
  • draga1draga1 Member Posts: 1
    some guys that are "technicians" pulled out one of the oxygen senasor of car but they got all bend and they screw the pipe hole treads where the sensor goes to. they told me that it might had been already damaged but i do not think so. so now i have to put the old sensor in that pipe hole so that the engine will not get to loud. and since then the thermostat has been going up to more half way. and the panel gets too hot, also. so i am wordering how i can fix it because i dont really have that much time to work on it. but eventually i will. i also wonder if the car can burn out like that. so i hope some one answers my questions as soon as possible. thanks
  • cobra53cobra53 Member Posts: 2
    hey when i crank my 98 eclipse rs it runs like crap dont idle right, trys to die, and burns alot of gas.... it will be running fine then just dies all of a sudden...and when u try too crank it back you have too let it jus turn over a while till it cranks like its flooded or something.... i changed the tps senser and the idle air control valve and it helped none.... any ideas?
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,635
    "...any ideas..."

I had an Oldsmobile that did that. Needed a new computer. $150 Don't know if that's your problem but my mechanic said the way they diagnosed it was to lightly tap the module while the engine was running. If it stalled and was hard to start back up that was the computer.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• hell2850hell2850 Member Posts: 1
    i changed the engine in my 96 mitsubishi and now it won"t start there is no juice to any of the sensers. they tell me i have to disarm the anti theft system or it won't start can some one tell me how to do this it must be in the drivers door . because when you turn the key the security light comes on on the dash.
  • andrea31323andrea31323 Member Posts: 2
  • andrea31323andrea31323 Member Posts: 2
    I just recently got the car and it blows out blue smoke which is obviously oil, the car has been pretty well maintained and my dad doesnt think the rings should be going at 133xxx miles, he thinks it may be that the valves need to be adjusted.
    Does anyone know anything about that?
    Try changing the PCV valve.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• bullet88bullet88 Member Posts: 2
    i have a mitsubishi eclipse gsx 1992. the engine makes a very loud knocking sound and on a pressure gage the psi is only running at 95. i don't know what it should run at or wat a low count means. i have over 20 grand in this engine. 25psi of boost. bored out with bigger pistens 2.5 over. racing cams light weaght flywheel stage 3 race clutch ect ect. got ne info please let me know.
  • beauwbeauw Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1995 mitsubishi eclipse RS 4 cyl. Just today it started dying when i stop at a stoplight, and i gotta push the gas pedal to start it back up. it wont hold an idle. The plugs/wires are new. any suggestions or ideas?

thanks in advance
  • 03eclipseowner03eclipseowner Member Posts: 1
    I am the original owner of a '03 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT with a little over 36K miles. I have done regular maintanence on it yet it blew a rod on the number 3 cylinder. I think there is a serious possibility that there is a manufacture's defect involved. Since when does any car with only 36,000 miles on it blow a rod??? Can anyone out there shed some light on this problem? Thanks in advance.
    "...Since when does any car with only 36000 miles blow a rod..."

I had a Toyota that blew the head gasket twice at that milage. Is there any warranty left? After my Toyota blew the second time I went to the dealer who told me they would have fixed it free even though it was past warranty.

You could try the place you got it from for a fix.

• killer_chiyokiller_chiyo Member Posts: 1
    does a 1994 or 1991 motor fit in a 1995 eclipse
  • edmund11edmund11 Member Posts: 1
    HI,
    I am facing a problem lately with my Mits Eclipse GT 2000 with the first start up in morning. When the engine is first started up in morning, it creates a very unique sound(something like a pain in stomach of the engine). This sound is only heard when car is put into Direct gear drive. Till the car is in parking mode, the sound is not there. Also, this sound is not heard on rest of the day. It only comes when the car is cold at start and also goes off once I drive the car for 5-10 miles. I guess the problem, is only until the car gets heated up.
    Can someone putin some thoughts.?
    Thanks!
  • tscruggstscruggs Member Posts: 1
    Help!!! I have a 1995 mitsibishi eclipse GSX turbo car. the car runs at idle but will not go over 25 M.P.H. when attempting to drive!! When I give it the gas the turbo boosts up real high & the engine just bogs down. I just had engine work done & no one knows what the problem is!! Any help or Ideas from anyone would be great!! Thanks a bunch! :confuse:
  • warchild138warchild138 Member Posts: 2
    I had a mitsu mighty max truck with a similar problem, the catalytic converter was plugged up. Just an idea. You could undo the clamps after your down pipe or whatever the stock piece is called and try it I guess.
  • bullet88bullet88 Member Posts: 2
    can noone help me out here?? i might have spun the bearing out but idk i dont' wana get into tearing the whole engine down n it just b a little problem with the heads or sompthing.
  • santanero1700santanero1700 Member Posts: 1
    i have trouble with a code anyone with de manual knows whats the problem.

thanks.
  • dineatjoesdineatjoes Member Posts: 2
    98 eclipse convt idles great in driveway for hours drive it down the street[1mile] dies and wont restart for 1/2 hour then same issue ,full tank of gas and dry gas , 4cyl and 70000 miles just started ran great up to a week ago
  • chicoricochicorico Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1992 eagle talon with a 2.0L, 4 cylinder turbo mits motor and parts have been replaced on it. They were a MPI control relay and injector resistor module and they have been replaced 2x so I have been told. Now the issue is why can't I find these parts online and why do they keep breaking?

Any ideas, please? :confuse:
  • jalunk1979jalunk1979 Member Posts: 1
    My friend has a 1996 Eclipse and is not sure where and how to add windshield washer fluid to the resevoir. Can u advise?
  • dineatjoesdineatjoes Member Posts: 2
    it should be under the spare tire in the trunk and the fill should be in the drain rail where the trunk comes down on
  • broke_dadbroke_dad Member Posts: 10
    An old "trick" dealers use on cars that have this kind of problem is to put in a 100% synthetic oil like Syntec. That kind of oil will still burn but it will have zero blue smoke. Just an idea if you are thinking about trading the car in or just don't want the smoke. Sometimes a quart of oil every month or so is better than the huge expense of fixing the rings.
  • mdodson88mdodson88 Member Posts: 3
    i have a problem with my 95 eclpise rs. its a 2.0L DOHC non turbo. when i start the car its like it hesitates and does not want to go, and sometimes even wants to back fire. but once it gets a little warmed up it will drive pretty good. and just recently i was drivin it around and it started to die almost everytime i came to a stop. sometimes it would keep runnin and sometimes it wouldnt. it does have over 180XXX miles on it, and i will be rebuilding the motor soon, but i know this is not a motor problem.
    If you are sure it's not an engine problem check the oxygen sensor on the exhaust. It can affect the fuel/air mixture especially when the engine is cold. A new one normally costs around $20 at an auto store. If you don't do the labor yourself expect to pay for an hour wherever you have it done. Hope that helps.
    thanks, would that help with the car shutting off when im coming to a stop also?
    It was the one thing I could think of non-engine related that might account for a backfire. A backfire is the cause of incorrect air/fuel mixture or timing. Also try some injector cleaner for a couple tanks of gas. Having the injectors pressure cleaned by an auto shop would run around $110 so it's best to try that first.

Check the condition and tension of your belts. Most modern cars have only one or two belts these days that run everything. A timing check isn't that costly. If your timing is off it can cause stalling at low rpms.

Hope the suggestions help you find the problem and fix it for the least amount of money.

BD
    ">
    thanks. i will check and doo all those, hopefully this weekend if i have time! i will kepp posted though.
  • bulldoze1bulldoze1 Member Posts: 3
    My daughter has the same car and I have gone all over it trying to find the miss and sometimes won't idle problem. Most of the time it will not throw a check engine code to find the problem. I have changed the EGR valve, Idle Air Control Valve, Vacuum hoses and spark plug wires only to still have a intermittent problem.
    At times it will idle poorly but when you hit the gas it revs up fine and if you push the pedal to the floor to pass someone it will miss very bad and then the bad idle begins. The problem appears to be electrical because at one stall time it had no spark. If you find the solution please post it.
    WOW .. you've done alot of stuff. Hasn't anyone suggested the ignition control module ? Sounds like that would be the first thing to look into with that kind of problem.

BD
  • turbo91turbo91 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1991 GSX turbo , broke down on road only running on #3 #4 cylinders,checked compresion 148psi on both also getting sparkno water in oil or oil in water took to dealer they said coil pack was bad, so i bought a new one at the parts store, still would not run on #1 #2 same thing called dealer they said it needed to be replaced with a mitsubishi coil pack only? or it would not run right. replaced the computer also..were do i go now???
    I hate to sound redundant but have you done a timing check or had the ignition control module checked out? It's separate from the computer module and if it could be getting the right signals from the computer module but not operating correctly.
  • dorymanzz705dorymanzz705 Member Posts: 2
    i have a1994 plymouth colt with a 2.4 mitsubishi engine it suddenly died and the next day it started again went for a week and died again it wouldn,t start at all after that , can anyone help me please.
    I take it you have cranked the engine with a spark plug removed and grounded against the engine to check for spark ??? If you are getting spark I would then look at possibly a bad fuel pump or clogged fuel filter. Removing a plug will also let you check this after cranking. If it is "wet" with fuel then you are getting flow.

Let me know once you have checked both those things. Good Luck.

BD
  • dorymanzz705dorymanzz705 Member Posts: 2
    yes broke dad i tried them 2 thing,s and not getten any spark,
  • miteclipse96miteclipse96 Member Posts: 2
    I bought this eclipse to one of this magician guy here In UAE, it is a 96 mitsu eclipse DOHC Turbo with 4g63 engine 1st Gen. tried to put it back on the street, but the temperature was unstable, when I hit the accelirator from 100KM/H up to 130KM/H, temp guage start to move from the mid point to 3/4 of the guage, slowdown the car to 90KM/H it will go back to mid point, replaced the radiator into 3 rose Brass type, its the same, until one day the engine seised.

I bought Japan surplus engine 4g63 DOHC Turbo 2nd GEN, and replaced the following;
    = water pump, timing belt, tensioner, thermostat, with NEW one, and a surplus original radiator for eclipse, put it back on the street, I've got exactly the same problem with the 1st Gen engine regarding temperature. trouble shoot again and replaced the following; coolant sensor, sending unit or guage sensor, with NEW one, swap the dashboard guage with another eclipse, check the working condition of the two electric fan, when the car is in idling position and reach a certain temperature, radiator fan will activate on low speed, after a certain temparature again, radiator fan will be in high speed togethwer with AC fan. Test drive again without a thermostat, still the same problem...........please help

Another problem, car is in idling position 800 RPM, turn AC ON, idling goes down to 400RPM, replaced the IAC, and re learn the computer for the idling by pressing the accelerator to 800RPM with AC OFF for about 5 minutes, it doesn't work.

I will really appreciate what ever help that you can extend to me, I've done all the basic things that I've learn about cars, but I consider my limitation, I can say that, it is really a nice fault, please helpppppppppp.

Thank you,

miteclipse96
  • miteclipse96miteclipse96 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, here in UAE, 1990 up to 1994 eclipse has a 4g63 DOHC turbo 1st generation engine, 1995 up to 1999 also a 4g63 DOHC turbo but they call it 2nd generation due some modification on the crankshaft sensor and camshaft sensor, now pay attention on the wiring of the alternator, crankshaft sensor, and camshaft sensor, I've got the wiring diagram of it, if you need just post a message and i'll post it, I hope you've got the same engine, just incase you dont know your engine, there is an aluminum plate in the firewall midlle top, near the battery.
    Thank you,
    miteclipse96
  • troublettroublet Member Posts: 2
    My 2003 spyder won't idle smooth and misses when sitting in gear and sputter badly when pressing the gas. Sometimes the rpms rev up real high when trying to make it go. I have to use manual shifting and rev the rpms up just to get it to run smooth and go. Please help!
  • bootlegmanbootlegman Member Posts: 1
    i am attempting to put a 94 motor in the 95 eclipse. can you post the diagram. there seem to be a few diffences between the two motors. like engine mount and oil filter to name a few. will these affect the engine swap?
  • you_see_meyou_see_me Member Posts: 1
    my car keeps over heating whats the best thing i can do :sick:
  • t_luvs_cicit_luvs_cici Member Posts: 2
    i have a 1995 eclipse and it is making some strange and alarming noises from the valve cover it is a dohc and i was wondering if anyone here could shed some light onto what it could be.thanks
  • art35769art35769 Member Posts: 1
    car wont start motor was replaced about a year ago ran 20 minutes and quit....i bought the car from the lady the car will fire and also the car has fuel pressure.
  • sephirothivansephirothivan Member Posts: 1
    i have an 94 eclipse 2.0 dohc and i have a firing problem i get no spark from the coils and im afraid its the cpu can any one help me out ?
  • jnegronjnegron Member Posts: 2
    hello, i was just wondering if u fixed ur no power problem? I have a 1997 spyder with the same problem and i"m at the end of my rope! can anyone help!!!!
  • jnegronjnegron Member Posts: 2
    checked exaust, not clogged. injectors r fine. maf is replaced. new plugs. put scanner to it and no codes. revs at idle but take it down the road only goes up to 20mph.spent $500 at the dealer and they cant figure it out! can anybody help me PLEEAASSEE!!!!!
  • sparktabuloussparktabulous Member Posts: 3
    Sounds like your timing needs to be adjusted.You need a mechanic and a timing light.
    Have you checked your vacuum hoses? You might have a vacuum leak. There should be a vacuum diagram under the hood.
    Air, Fuel, Spark.
    you need all three in proper ratio (mix).

Too much fuel, not enough fuel?...check fuel filter, fuel pump,carb float, oxygen sensor, or it might be a clogged fuel line.
    Too much air, not enough air?...try the air filter or vacuum system.
    Too much spark, not enough spark?...check your spark plug gap, your timing, or maybe your plugs are fouled, or your battery cables are corroded (where you can't see the corrosion, like under the little vinyl 'battery socks' and only on the positive side) or there is not enough distilled water in the battery.
    Most of these are, fairly, easy to check, but if you don't know what you are doing ...ASK someone who does!!
    Those are just a few ideas. :D
  • rasavacrasavac Member Posts: 2
    We bought this car in May 2009 and noticed after a month that the carpet would be wet sometimes on the driver's side. Can't find any leaks...does anyone know what could be causing this water leak? :(
  • sguidrysguidry Member Posts: 2
    Okay so here s the deal i had to replace my freeze plugs in my car. it all ran perfectly fine before this. except for the leakage. so in the process i decided to do my car some good and replace the valve cover gasket and the spark plugs they are gapped correctly. and the coils have blue sparks. and i have fuel. ( i also i a cold air intake on the car. and no cat... its bored out...) now i put everything back together and the car would not start at all. it ll turn over and fire in one cylinder but the just does nothing but turn over. in the process i think maybe theres some damage to the MAF sensor because it sparked and started smoking. because it may have somehow snowed in the motor dont ask. i drained the oil any everything.. can someone help me..give me some info as to what to do i ordered the sensor its was 256.00 and i was wondering if there was something else that could be messed up...... thanks