Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008-2009 Chevrolet Malibu

Comments

• beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    Really? Burned out already? Do they never come on, ever?

That seems really bizarre, as those lights--barely ever being on--should never need changing, for many, many years.
  • wingrootwingroot Member Posts: 43
    Suspect just one bad bulb. There must be a simple procedure to remove sidelights?

Thanks
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    Wow, you traded in you 08 Malibu already? Must have taken a nice big $$ hit.
    I just came back from Vegas and I was shocked how many base Malibus are used there for cabs. Probably one of the most common cabs we saw.

Also worth noting, all the rental cars in the garage we were at were Nissan Altimas and Toyota Camrys. We got an Altima for 4 days. Not bad but horrid brakes. They grab really suddenly and jerk the car unless you really concentrate. Malibu seems like a more refined ride.
  • gussguss Member Posts: 1,167
    at my Chevy dealer today and noticed they had 6 2009 Malibu's in stock. This dealership never had more than 2 when I was looking. My salesman said nothing is moving due to the economy and the merger talks with Chrysler may be scaring some away.

The Employee pricing cleared out alot of cars.
  • ronbo10ronbo10 Member Posts: 45
    "The rotors had to be turned down twice as well. They tried to tell me that all brakes and rotors these days are made cheap and all cars have this problem. My boyfriend did say that Chevy brakes are cheap. I have owned foreign cars up until I bought the Malibu and I had never had this type of problem."

I have a 2006 Malibu Maxx and the brakes have been trouble free with nice, firm pedal, no squeals or squeaks, and at 40,000 miles still a lot of wear left in the original pads. Meanwhile, our 2002 Honda CRV has had to have 3 of the 4 calipers replaced, plus pads and rotors replaced twice inside of 100,000 miles. The calipers became partially seized causing pulling to one side or the other, and in the case of the left rear, the brake was always applied to some degree causing the entire aluminum wheel to get hot to the touch. It's never been off-roaded, so I'm not sure just how the grime made its way past the piston seals...

I imagine your Malibu's brakes were not representative, just as my CRV's haven't been. Nevertheless, we both have had problems that we wouldn't have expected form these autos, so I can sympathize.
  • phil53phil53 Member Posts: 54
    I bought almost the same exact car, except that mine has the cocoa/cashmere interior. I too changed to Mobil 1 - at 1900 miles. The only problem I've had with mine to date is the On Star. It just beeps when I try to activate it. The dealership is still waiting to hear from tech support. Fortunately, the Bluetooth works and I probably won't renew the On Star when the free period expires any way. So I'm not too upset.
    My biggest complaint comes with the fuel mileage - or lack thereof, which I have discussed in the appropriate thread elsewhere.
    Having owned the car for about 5 weeks now, I do have a list of things I would change about the car.
    The 6 speed automatic hunts - a lot. And, when pressed suddenly, it takes too long to downshift and get underway - worse than any turbo lag I've ever experienced. I tried shifting manually yesterday on my way into work and it seemed more driveable (although still a bit slow to shift). But I think GM could have done a much better job on the programming.
    The DIC has far too many pages for one button. If they had used the same stalks on the new Malibu that has been in the GM parts bin for years (and the one used on both my Avalanche and my Corvette), it would have freed up those extra buttons so that those pages could have been divided into different menus (again, like on my Avalanche and my Corvette). As it is, if you're reading the instant fuel mileage and you want to see the average, you have to page all the way through the various pages to get back there.
    The lumbar support could use more adjustment. That's my way of saying I need more lumbar support than this vehicle currently has. An electronically adjustable version such as I have on the Avalanche would be greatly appreciated.
    One thing that was almost a deal breaker for us was the fact that the back seat does not fold flat. I know they were trying to avoid having to lift the seat bottom up before folding the seat back down, but I would do that to get the flat load floor. Plus, I know the material on the back of the seat is intended for protection, but I would prefer a smoother surface. The trunk mat is so nice; the back of the seat is so tacky. And you can't set something on it without it sliding back.
    I'm also disappointed that they chose to remove the adjustable pedals for 2009. My wife is quite a bit shorter than me and that is a future she would find useful.
    The other complaint I have is the fact that the temperature can only be viewed with the odometer. I would prefer a separate read-out somewhere so that it is always visible. Similarly, when in manual mode, it defaults to one of the trip odometers as the other bit of information displayed. That's an odd pairing; a combination that I can think of no rationale to support. I would have combined it with the instant fuel mileage read-out.
    While I'm discussing the instrument panel, that's one more thing I'd change. It's kind of neat to look at initially. Eventually, though, it's just flashy and not as functional as it could be. I'd prefer nice white on black or black on white gauges with red pointers and clear hash marks. They could also add a voltmeter and oil pressure guage between the top and bottom of the fuel and temperature guauges. A larger tach would be nice for those times when driving in manual mode.
    Those are just my observations to date. Some would cost GM a little more and others would have cost them hardly anything - or nothing at all.
    Cars aren't moving anywhere really and it has much more to do with the sliding markets and economy than GM itself.
    True, same thing happening at mine, where the Malibu was one of the "quick" cars that was out in a few days after hitting the lot. Bizarrely, the last ones they moved were during Employee pricing and then today mine even though it's a no money sale as a lemon replacement.

Not that people don't want them, but the screwy economy and now lack of GMAC anything, etc. doesn't help. Have to offer either a big discount or awesome financing to get anyone even looking, really, anymore it seems.
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    Bummer :mad:
    My wife went into Walgreens for ten minutes when she returned there was a huge scratch and white paint marks around the rear passenger door. It would appear that a pick-up truck was the culprit. Funny thing is that the parking lot was empty yet that brute violated her car.

No eye witness means bad news as the insurance company will not pay the deductible and the $1,100 damage estimate is not sufficient to bring the car back to its original condition. The 2008 Malibu has only 7,900 miles and it was in showroom condition as I had just washed and waxed it.
    Any tips for dealing with the insurance?
  • sidewinderzsidewinderz Member Posts: 49
    Check to see if Walgreens has an outside security camera for the parking lot. If so, they should have a video tape of the incident
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Ouch, that stinks. :(

Try asking your questions over in Questions About Auto Insurance & Accidents.
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    Check to see if Walgreens has an outside security camera for the parking lot. If so, they should have a video tape of the incident.

We did ask them but unfortunately this particular Walgreens does have a security camera.
    Ouch!

Sorry to hear about it.
    Luckily up here, GMAC credit is still loaning 0% to 2.5% up to 60 months on most cars and trucks. They used to do 72 but that was cut out, I got 0% for 72 just days before it was canned.

Still no big credit crunch here.. yet.
  • rik4rik4 Member Posts: 90
    if you are talking about canada . the deal is over there too. there is another malibu forum and there is a post of a canadian being told that the 0.9% they promised was cut off and they had to take 6.7% instead but gm did lower the price of the car to compensate. so i am afraid the cheap interest is over in canada also
    How in the world could a pick-up do damage in an empty parking lot. I could see if it was crowded and he was maneuvering it into a tight spot. I am guessing it may have been an inexperienced driver playing around.

As far as the Malibu not moving it looks like nothing is. When I was shopping dealers had no Civics or Corollas. Now I see dozens on the lot. I wonder what kind of deals you can get now?

So far 2 months and 3k miles and my Malibu has been excellent. My only complaints are that the radio controls on the steering wheel should have been on the left side. I use the radio controls much more than cruise control and the dic. If you have a cup of coffee in your right the radio controls are awkward to use.

The other is now that the colder weather is here I wish I could get the heated seat to stay on all the time. With running kids around I am in and out of the car alot and every time I restart it I have to hit the heat button again.

I know life is so tough when these are my only complaints, warm buns and having to move my thumb 12 inches to the right.
    I agree that there are too many pages on the dic. The 2 of the 10 that I use mostly are the temperature and the mpg' s. I find that I just count four button pushes to get to the mpgs and 6 button pushes to get back to the temperature.

With a base 10 system maybe this is Chevy's way to get us to think metric.
  • guy16guy16 Member Posts: 2
    Hello. We live in Palmyra, Indiana.
    We have purchased a 2009 Malibu LT. We have had it for about two months now. We love the ride and the car's features. People often comment on what a sharp four door car the Malibu is. Our twin boys are fourteen years old and five foot seven inches tall. They too love the Malibu, but would have liked just a little bit more leg room in the back. One reason we purchased the Malibu was due to the high safety rankings and high performance reports. Our boys will begin learning to drive in December and we feel good about them driving the Malibu.
  • gmfornow3gmfornow3 Member Posts: 17
    I think bandit08 mentions a common GM issue with rotors. Two GM cars of mine purchased new (1997 Pontiac Grand Am -4cyl. and 2002 Chevy Monte Carol 3.4L) both had warped rotors around 15,000 miles and again at 36,000 miles. On both cars the repairs were the same. They replaced the rotors the first time, and the second time they turned the rotors, both under warranty. What is strange is that both cars had no rotor warping roblems since then, and I drove both these cars to over 120,000 miles, with 85% highway miles.

I heard that after market rotors are made better, but since these cars were under warranty for me, I did not need to consider that option.

My current car is the 2008 Malibu 2LT with the V-6. No brake issues, but I only have 6,700 miles so far.
    0% for 60 is on 2008's only. 2009's have 0.9% for 60 for people with good credit. If you don't, you will pay more. Just common sense.

Check it..

http://www.gm.ca/gm/english/corporate/offers/clearance/overview?adv=82228
    I agree with you on the radio controls, they are on the wrong side and they are awkward. Drives me crazy but I am getting used to them slowly.

I also think the heat dial in the middle needs a little grip. It was very cool here this morning and my finger slipped turning it to hot.

Minor details, GM could make the changes with little cost I'm sure!
  • jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    It's a fluke. Yours is the first report of any issue with the trans on these cars that I've read, other than some folks not liking the shift logic (hard downshifts, slow downshifts, etc.).
    Interesting list of observations. I can't say I agree with them all, but at least with some of them. Be happy you get to see anything other than the gear selected when you're in manumatic mode, my 08 LTZ doesn't. I would rather have had the gear display be on a separate line (maybe above the regular DIC readout), and whatever you pick from the DIC display remain unchanged.
  • megzinmegzin Member Posts: 3
    After 7 months of comparing 08 models of Accords, Camry's and Passats, I never found myself completely happy with what I saw/researched. I came across this forum topic early last week and by the end of last week I bought my very own 08 LT2! I must say I LOVE the model and the inside is gorgeous and very comfortable. The only drawback I have is that I don't understand what half the buttons do on the dashboard, but then again that's what the car manual is for ;)

When I came into work today I felt like I had just come back from the Spa since my back was still nice and toasty from the heated seats.

Also, I know I could ask the guys at the hardware store, but I'm wondering if anyone here knows what's best for up-keeping the interior leather and suede?

A big 'thanks!' to everyone who gave feedback about this car on edmunds. I really feel like I made the perfect choice in buying it. A huge smile appears on my face everytime I see it!
    Congrats and welcome to the group.

I have an 2LT V6 and yes, the interior is amazing. I have the black with the maple trim and everyone who sees it says "wow". What exterior color did you get? Post a picture when you get a chance.

I have no idea what to do with the suede either, I do try not to eat in the car as crumbs really show up on the black.
    The suede isn't real suede, but basically the same or most like the Ultrasuede/Alcantra/etc. used on some furniture and in some other vehicles.

For care, this was a good link made by a Malibu owner long ago:
    Ultrasuede Care

Overall, the UltraLux in the Malibu is VERY durable and generally quite easy to clean up, even with a damp and dry rag for spotting. Otherwise, heavier stuff can be taken care of with light cleaning solutions.
  • bohemia1bohemia1 Member Posts: 33
    I have a 2008 LT2. Here are few items I would like:

Indicator to show when headlights are on or Daytime Running Lights are on.
    Shift Indicator that shows for both manual and automatic. For example M3 or A4.
    Bluetooth (available on the 2009?).
    Better displays. The displays look like an old dot matrix printer from the 1970's. Even inexpensive cell phones have better displays.
    Power outlet and mp3 connection in the console.
    Fewer blind spots

Minor items I agree, but would improve a great car, in my opinion.
    Not bad points, and always good to see what real owner's would suggest.

As for one of the items, Bluetooth, 2009's do now have it and it is AWESOME. Before when people complained GM vehicles never had BT, I typically wrote it off as "big deal", but now that I have it I don't think I could give it up. Cell in my pocket, just get in and after a few seconds all is automatically synced, then I can call or be called and have a crystal clear conversation on my cell line through the car--somehow, it seems even a bit better than the Onstar phone often, as I've heard others mention, for clarity. It's just fantastic, and a shame it took the extra year to come out that it did.

After 10 months, there's little my mother has commented on wishing were different in her '08 and I'm 7 days in my '09, so will probably take some time to think of anything myself. So far, so good, in the Malibu stylish, solid, silent, and luxurious way, and both of our 2LT's in 4-cyl and V6 form.
    Blind spots are a function of the car's shape, could be better but I am used to it now.
  • bibo2bibo2 Member Posts: 9
    congrat to your new car! It happened the same to me. I was shopping for Accord and Camry but ended up buying Malibu 2008 2LT like yours. I have white exteriror/Gray interior. Like you, I find a little hard to maintain the suede as it color is gray and I have 2 kids. Love the bu so far!
  • deckdogdeckdog Member Posts: 10
    Hi All,
    I made the deal for the LT2 Malibu I recently posted about. The story on the hail damage was that there were alot of cars, mainly Impalas at the storage yard in Fairfax Kansas that got hit. They were never delivered to the intended dealers. They all went straight to GM auction. A few Chevy dealers around here each have several Impalas. Anyway I love this car. I can't believe how quiet it is. The double laminated glass really does the job. I'm also really impressed with how peppy the 4 cyl. is. I got a good price on my 05 Malibu trade so I decided to do it. I'm very glad I did. Anyone out there on the fence about buying a new Malibu, I would recommend taking the jump. This car is nothing like the previous generation Malibu. You won't be disappointed.
    thedeckdog
    deckdog...That's GREAT!

They are fantastic, and one of the most telling things is exactly what you just found...go from an old one--a respectable car, in it's own way--with the same guts underneath, and it's just astounding how different the new one is. Mom is nearing 10k now on her 2LT 4-cyl and still not a complaint, and so far the same is true with my 2LT V6 after 500 miles.

Hope it gives you many enjoyable, silent miles ;)
  • colinmcnamaracolinmcnamara Member Posts: 2
    My 08 LS was recently rearended and my bumber was cracked slightly (2 inches in length). I got a check from their insurance company for 700$ to fix it, but I am unsure of whether I need to fix it. I am not planning on selling it in the future, so resale value isn't a factor. The important questions I have are:

A) Will my warranty be voided if I don't fix it?

B) Is it likely that this crack will allow water/snow/ice in and cause damage to the machinery?
  • sidewinderzsidewinderz Member Posts: 49
    I would bring it to a another body shop and get a second opinion . There might be hidden damage . Ask specific questions and make your decision based upon the body shop's answer .You must have brought the car to the insurance company's recommneded body shop in order to get the $700 check .
  • malexbumalexbu Member Posts: 169
    A) Will my warranty be voided if I don't fix it?

Shouldn't be, as far as I understand,

B) Is it likely that this crack will allow water/snow/ice in and cause
    damage to the machinery?

What machinery is there under the bumper? :-)

Here is what you should keep in mind, though:

a. If you don't repair your bumper, the insurance company will reduce
    the appraised value of your car by the amount of the check you
    received, and should your car be totalled, you'll get the payment
    that amount less.

b. Should your car be rear-ended again, you may have problems getting
    another compensation: how can you prove that the damage then is the
    damage from the new collision, not the old crack, perhaps increased
    in size?

c. There should be certain absorbers under your bumper: they may be
    compromised as a result of the collision -- you can't know without
    inspecting them.

Should you be rear-ended again at high speed, your car may not
    react as soundly as it would with pristine absorbers. This may
    prove important for the car's and your own bodies.

Good luck making the right decision!
    I would get it fixed. The crack could get worse.
    Congrats on the new Malibu!

The new Malibus are among the best of the best cars out there, no one will go wrong buying one. I researched the car extensively and I love my 2LT V6. Not one issue yet.
  • mazda6dudemazda6dude Member Posts: 283
    Does anyone know whether the chevy malibu V6 3.6 liter engine will be upgraded or will get the new direct injection 3.6L engine that has debuted in several of its CUV's, CTS and the new Camaro? Thanks.
    It would make for a great SS model!

I haven't heard anything though.
    There was a rumor there would be a new Sport model eventually with the DI 3.6L, but the last I heard of that was long ago and I haven't seen or heard anything at all related recently. Possible, but not overly likely, but we'll see in time.
    We had about an inch snow last night and when I tried to open my trunk this morning it was frozen shut. Is this common with the new Malibus? I never really experienced that with my old car barring a more substantial freezing rain or snow fall.

Thanks
  • starryknightstarryknight Member Posts: 31
    I just read the model review and the editors rating (with brief review). The editor gives it a 6.9 (adequate). Says the following:

Overall

Average materials, driving charactertistics and bland design prevent the Malibu from receiving a hearty recommendation.

Comfort

Malibu neither offends nor dazzles.

Function

Nothing ground-breaking inside, except the optional DVD screen that emerges from the arm rest.

Design/Build Quality

Monochromatic interior theme has no personality, and the materials have a low-rent look and feel.

The model review say pretty much the opposite. So, which is it Edmunds.....good car or bad???
  • ddeliseddelise Member Posts: 353
    This is not the review of the newly designed Malibu. This is a review of the Malibu Classic/MalibuMaxx. This is an error and should be corrected.
    As ddelise said, it's a review of the last gen Malibu Maxx. The "optional DVD screen that emerges from the arm rest" is the giveaway. It's NOT available on the new (sedan-only) car. Not to mention that they now like the materials much better, really like the driving characteristics and design, as well as the general comfort and function. Likewise, the new two-toned interiors have wowwed them, and the build quality has been hailed. Comparing reviews of the last gen car to the new one are about as opposite as night and day.
  • johnboy12johnboy12 Member Posts: 1
    last year the press was singing thepraises of this car, now suddnely the news is not good! Ths car DID NOT MAKE THE INSURANCE INSTITUTE SAFE CAR AWARD, ALSO LAST YEAR CAR AND DRIVER HAD IT ON THE TOP TEN CARS , WHOOPS NOT THIS YEAR! HERE IS SOME SOBERING SALES FIGURES, CHEVY IMPALA IS OUT SELLING THE MALIBU, ALSO LAST CHECKEDIN SEPT. MALIBU HAD SOLD SOME 120000 UNITS, HONDA ACCORD 245000, LONG WAY TO GO GUYS, ALSO HAVE SEEN ALOT OF 08 MALIBUS GOING FOR 13500-15500 NOT GOOD FOR A 1-2 YEAR OLD CAR
    First of all, nice SCREAMING...not.

What happened is nothing is selling, and though this car started out and continued on very strongly...when all sales of everything died, so did it.

Overall, given how awful everything from every brand is moving, it's actually still going pretty well vs. that, just not great in terms of how it started pre-bad market. As for the Impala, those numbers have been discussed elsewhere, and a car that's still heavily fleeted, etc. is going to have higher numbers.
    and as for the Safe Car award- check the list again. It only missed for the same reason SEVERAL other vehicles did- lack of active head restraints.
  • bibo2bibo2 Member Posts: 9
    "ALOT OF 08 MALIBUS GOING FOR 13500-15500". Where did you get that number? That's probably the old Malibu Classic. I checked CarMax, Cars.com, .fitzmall.com, Ebay and did not see such "a lot of " new Malibu 08 at that price.
    With a terrible market like this, all cars are down. Even Honda has to lower their production next year. And please, don't scream here. Keep your head up. If you bought Malibu and intend to keep it for 10 years like I do. You should not have to scream and just enjoy your Malibu ride.