Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008-2009 Chevrolet Malibu

Comments

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    bibo, you are right. The "ALOT OF 08 MALIBUS GOING FOR 13500-15500" comment probably refers to the Malibu Classic. But then again, I saw a TV ad for a Boston area Chevy dealer offering the 2008 Malibu LS and Pontiac G6 for $11,880. Seeing how the announcer was barking I would have to assume they were being sold as used cars. Nonetheless, sales are extremely slow and I saw two local newspaper ads offering the 2009 Malibu LS for $17,499.
  • sidewinderzsidewinderz Member Posts: 49
    $15k is about right for a NEW 2008 LS . Dont forget the 2008 had a cheaper MSRP 16 inch rims and no stability control . It was a base model. I got mine at the end of May with no rebates .. 19,400 with side molding and mats.( I needed a car by end of May) I went on the internet,picked the cheapest LS price with an older sticker price , Now they have a Red tag sale, $2000 off lease to purchase (IF you lease) and another $1000 customer cash.
    Now that I think of it , I remember seeing the 2007 Malibu for about $15k (late 2007) when I first started looking around for a new car.
    I guess the 2008 Malibu was late to start offering rebates in May and even early summer due to late production time,low production volume, strikes , ect
    PS . Some may be DEMO cars, never registered , with very low miles on them.
    Just saw a brand new 2009 Malibu LS offered for $15,999 at Quirk Chevrolet. Breakdown as follows:
    MSRP.....................$21,625
    Rebate....................$(1,000)
    Auto show bonus......$( 500)
    Quirk discount...........$(4,126)
    Quirk Price...............$15,999

In February, we bought our 2008 LS (16" without Stabilitrac) for $20,400 so this is a significant discount. Not fair, but these are tough economic times.
  • bohemia1bohemia1 Member Posts: 33
    It is really is confusing that GM/Chevy is producing two vehicles both called a Malibu.
    Please be aware everyone that is getting them confused. The old design Malibu is called the Classic or maybe MAXX

The new design Malibu is the 2008 and now the 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. It comes in the LS, LT, and LZ trim. I have the LT and find it to be an excellent vehicle for the price range.
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    the classic malibu was considered before the 04 MY.....the 04 MY was the redesign of the malibu..and included both the sedan and hatch back (MAXX)...the MAXX was never really marketed well by GM IMHO...it is a versatile car...great gas mileage, V6 with lots of features........I have an 04 Maxx with 136K on it and still going strong (picture of it on my car page here)....both models came in LS1 and LS2 and LT and then later the LTZ was added..the 04 body style remained until the redesign in 08...so not sure why you are stating there is two malibus......the hatchback was offered in the 04 thought 07 model years
  • bibo2bibo2 Member Posts: 9
    16K? That is amazingly low! Are you sure that includes everything (dealer fee, freight) except TTL? If so, it is very attractive. That "auto show bonus" and "discount" looks suspicious and teasing.
  • bibo2bibo2 Member Posts: 9
    Malibu Classic has been discontinued. And yes it was confusing to me when I first started researching the Bu. It was first released to the fleet in July or August 07 before the new models, which did not start rolling to the market until Nov or Dec 07.
  • gussguss Member Posts: 1,167
    Don't forget the SS. The dealer I bought my '08 from had a brand new '07 Maxx SS that they were selling for $8k off MSRP.
    16K? That is amazingly low! Are you sure that includes everything (dealer fee, freight) except TTL? If so, it is very attractive. That "auto show bonus" and "discount" looks suspicious and teasing.

Bibo2, brace yourself for lower prices as two other dealers are offering the same deal at $15,999 and $15,995. This price includes destination but excludes TTL and documentation fees. By the way, the auto show discount is legit. To celebrate the New England auto show in Boston all dealers are offering a promotional discount to buyers regardless if you attend the auto show or not.
  • packer3packer3 Member Posts: 277
    Buy pure silcone spray they have it at the auto stores or the water repellent spray they sell to water proof your shoes and it doesn't smell, spray all the rubber seals around the trunk and do it around all of the doors. Your problem is fixed at a cost of under $10.
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    They must be loosing money on the car, wow.

These are sad times for GM. I don't know where it's all going but I think GM will make it. I know I love my Malibu LT and it's restored my faith in domestic brands.I wish more Camcord drivers would take a look at the Bu.
    Thanks packer3. Great idea!

We ae getting a big snow storm tomorrow, I better pick up some in the AM. Should be fun to try out the new Malibu in the snow,
    I spoke with a Chevy salesman yesterday and he said that he had just lost a sale. Why I asked? Because the prospective was concerned that GM would not be around much longer to honor the warranty and for parts. He said the guy went on to buy a Toyota truck instead.

By the way I made a $21,000 offer on an LTZ. They are willing to sell at this price but we couldn't agree on my trade-in value.
  • TomNYTomNY Member Posts: 8
    I had my choice narrowed down to a Sonata or a Malibu and have to admit that I used the "how do I know GM will be around tomorrow?" line on the sales guy :) Bottom line, I offered him $21,500 for a 6 cylinder LTZ w/sunroof and I'll be picking it up tomorrow morning. Unfortunately because I live in NY where they tax your pants off my OTD price came to $23,700, but I still feel I did pretty well. It's Blue with cocoa/cashmere interior.

To be honest I had kind of eliminated the Malibu, because I could buy the Sonata Limited (loaded) for 20k, and the best I could do with a Malibu was a 4 cylinder LT1 with the convenience package, and although it was a nice car, I liked the trim level of the Hyundai (leather, climate, sunroof, etc.). All of that changed when I drove the LTZ with 6 cylinders....man what a great car. I knew if I bought the Sonata, I would always wish I had stretched for the Malibu. By stretching that extra 1.5K, I'm confident I'll never look back.
    Blue with cocoa/cashmere is what I have. $21.5k is below what I paid for my LT2 in September, so I think you did well is stretching a bit. You will not regret it.

I wonder if these low prices are here to stay on the Malibu if GM turns the corner. When I bought the discounts were very low on Malibu's because it was considered one of the best sedans Detroit could build. I don't know how long dealers can continue to sell Malibus or any car at such discounts.
  • TomNYTomNY Member Posts: 8
    This was the only dealer that was anywhere near that price, most others were around $24-25K. I picked it up today and love it, what a great car. I notice an August inspection sticker on it,I think the dealer had these for a while and must have been looking it to get rid of them. There were some LT2s there, but they seemed more anxious to dump the LTZs. The dealer is Simmons-Rockwell in Bath NY.
  • packer3packer3 Member Posts: 277
    I dont know about NY but in NJ what ever month you pick up your new car thats the sticker they put on the car due to inspection purposes, check the door sticker on the drivers side it will tell you where and when the car was made.
    One thing I know is that the government will never let GM or Ford fail. Never. That is especially true now that they have sunk billions of loans in. I have zero worries about my warranty.
    Nice price. Great car, You will love the V6 / 6-speed, it rocks.
    Yep . Here in NJ , with a new car sticker , its good for 4 years before the next inspection , though I had to pay for 4 years of registration cost up front . This is a fairly new law from NJ . I don't mind . It saves me from going to the inspection station for 4 years ! ;)
    for Gus >> I notice an August inspection sticker on it, <<
    It should have a "NEW CAR" DEALER inspection sticker on it
  • yashyash Member Posts: 10
    Although, I am not getting the deal that Tom and others might have got in NY, how does 21.5k for 2008 LTZ sound? either that or 2009 2LT at 20.7k. what sounds better is there any obvious pick between them?

fire away your opinions...let me hear'em...!
    Which ever one that has a 6 -speed transmission. Off hand,I haven't looked at the detailed specs on these models
    They both have 6 speed automatic transmission. Good point though.

what else, guys?!? wud be pulling the trigger on of these babies soon...
  • rik4rik4 Member Posts: 90
    does the ltz have a moon roof what engines and what are the options on the 2tl that would help us. also what colours some colours have a premium cost attached to them.
    Both LTZ and 2LT have moonroof and both are v6 6 speed automatic engine.

Difference:

LTZ has leather seating and 2LT has leatherette seating

LTZ has power front passenger seats and 2LT only has driver power seats

LTZ probably has premium sound system compared to 2LT

2009 2LT has bluetooth and 2008 LTZ doesnt have bluetooth

2008 LTZ is metallic red (may need to change it)

2009 2LT has metallic silver moss green ( i like that one)

so whats the verdict? what should i buy?

2008 LTZ is 21.5k and 2009 2LT is 20.7k.
    My decision came down to, I liked the suede seats over the leather in the LTZ. And being heated they are really easy to get into in the winter.

The Bluetooth would have been nice(not offered on the '08's), but I don't make that many calls from the road.

I do like the LTZ V-6's wheels better. I see they offer them now on the 4 cylinder LTZ for '09, smart move by Chevy.

Either way, those prices look terrific. Good luck on which ever one you decide on.
    Yes, tough choices but you will be happy with either. I went with the 2LT mostly because of the interior. I preferred the suede seats and the color choices of the 2LT. Comes down to personal preference.
    The 2009 may be a better buy when you consider future value, since it is really a year newer in the eyes of appraisers.
    thanks for the feedback everyone!

i wasnt getting the color i wanted on 2008 LTZ so i ended up getting 2009 LTZ Just an hour ago! got it for 23.5k + ttl. most quotes i had were 24.5k for that model.
    According to a Wikepedia entry, "Out of 19,725 Malibus sold in September 2008, 10,462 or 53%, were sold to fleets."
    If that is true then prospective buyers should be getting even better deals than those posted here. Nonetheless, such a sales mix will have a significantly negative impact on resale value down the road.
    Just announced

"4.9% APR for up to 60 months on '09 Pontiac G6; Chevrolet Malibu, Light Duty Silverado and HHR; Saturn Aura; and Light Duty GMC Sierra"
    I think the Malibu will be ok. It could just be a blip and even if fleet sales are going higher the car is well made and rated which counts for a lot.

Camry fleet sales are also higher, I see a whole line of 4 banger base models at one of the local rental lots.
  • mickey77mickey77 Member Posts: 10
    I picked up the car last night and so far I am very happy, however, I find that the glove box does not have a light when opened? Can this be done aftermarket?
    I never noticed no glove box light.. I will have to check that tomorrow.

Could get one of these I guess:

http://www.brookstone.com/sl/product/10696-tap-lite-anywhere-led-light-assorted-- colors.html
  • CapeCodCapeCod Member Posts: 117
    I recently test drove a 09 Malibu.
    My first impression was it sat a bit low ??
    Also how convenient and useful is the trunk?
    I ask because I am moving up from a Vibe.
    The trunk opening seemed tight...
    the trunk itself seemed compressed because of the lowness of rear deck.
    Any golfers out there have experience with storing clubs and pull cart in trunk?
    Do owners often find themselves loading suitcases and big duffle bags...
    using the back doors with the back seats folded down ???
    ALso A few times a year I will need it to haul bags of leaves...
    Will I be able to fold seats down, cover with tarp, & load my bags?
    Thanks, :)
  • lhlavenkalhlavenka Member Posts: 6
    Just got around to reading your post. I have an 08 LT1. The trunk is large for the size car but you are right the opening is small. I'm not a golfer so don't know about golf bags. We (two rather large adults) left for a month last summer, packed the trunk and seat (folded down) area jammed with fishing gear, clothes and food. Everything fit no problems. About the seat height or door opening. The Malibu is a bit tight for a 6"1" 230# 75yo arthritic old flatus. However, a few weeks back I had a re-occurring back problem & the Dr. sent me to physical therapy. I now get in and out w/o problem. The car now has about 12000 miles on it w/o problems. Highway mileage @ 65 mph seems to be 30 to 31. Day long rides are comfortable and the handling just fine.
    Many of the concerns you have I had so let me address them for you. I spent a lot of time researching the Malibu before I bought. Few points:

1. The car doesn't position you low, but the Vibe is a little higher due to it's crossover nature. The windows are also smaller which make it feel like you are sitting lower.
    2. Trunk opening is small but the trunk is surprisingly big. I can fit golf clubs horizontal no problem, I checked that before I bought. I have not had any issues with the small opening. We travel with the car to my parents home 3 hours away and suitcases and clubs together for the long weekends and holidays are just fine.
    3. Bags of leaves? I dunno.. you may want a van or hatch back if you need that.

We have a van, the Malibu is my daily driver. That said, it's fine for long trips so long as we aren't doing a lot of shopping or camping. If you need to haul big bags of leaves this may not be your car. If you want a solid sedan with decent cargo room and amazing legroom, I highly recommend.
    Yes, the trunk opening is small although the trunk is a reasonable size. I have trouble getting suitcases into the trunk of my 08 LT2 Malibu. I end up pushing & twisting until it pops through the opening, then there is room for at least a couple of bags. I also could not fit a small recycle bin purchased at a home supply store. I had to put it on the back seat.
    Personally I could not imagine hauling leaves in my Malibu! I really enjoy driving my Malibu but if you want to haul anything of any size, buy a truck or SUV.
  • nc42dadnc42dad Member Posts: 6
    We've just got a 2LT & we also have a Venture, which definitely sits higher. I am 6'9 and drive the Malibu and do not find it "low" for a car. It is much lower than the Venture but some of the older Civics make me dizzy - they are so low.

My first impressions are the ride is great, very quiet. The 6 speed transmission on the 4 cylinder shifts a little goofy IMO. The view out the back window isn't real great but I think I will get used to it. The only thing I do not like that I would change is the controls for the heated seats should be on the dash where you can see them. It is hard to change the setting when you are driving because you can't see them. My first tank of gas I got 15 mpg. Second tank was 18 mpg. ALL city driving - my average speed is 15 mph. My old truck was about 10.
    What makes you say the 6-speed on the 4 cyl. is "goofy"? It's class leading technology giving the car class leading mileage numbers.

I agree with you on the heat seat buttons but I am used to it now. Most everything else is perfectly in reach and easy, a dream compared to the Accord's 100 button dash.
    I don't think it shifts real smooth after deceleration - at least not compared to my other cars. In my Venture I do not notice any shifting of gears at all. It almost appears to get caught in the wong gear.
    You should have it checked for adjustment then. I have the 3.6/6-speed and the shifts are smooth as silk. I usually don't even notice them, it's one of the things that I immediately loved about the Malibu.
    Just may do that. I really only notice it at lower speeds & actually 90% of my driving is below 35 mph. I checked my INFO center & my average driving speed is 16. What's yours run?
  • tenngal1tenngal1 Member Posts: 1
    I thought I was the only person in the world who had a low average speed. Mine is around 24 mph. Most of my commute is to and from work in a small community. Speed limit goes from 30 to 45..........I really enjoy the few trips I make where I usually set the speed at about 65 mph and watch the great gas mileage.
    After one year and 10,700 miles of flawless operation our 2008 Malibu LS has exceeded all expectations.

The car still looks showroom new inside and out. The exterior paint job is great even though the car is not garaged. It has withstood the brutal winds, snow and scorching sun yet there is no evidence of color fading or paint chips. And for that we are surprised and impressed. The interior carpeting (not the best quality though) wears very well. No fading, shredding or lumping.

To dress up the car, at the time of purchase we had dealer installed after-market Katzkin leather, the cocoa/cashere combination and that is holding up great. By the way, the leather smells great, and in terms of maintenance we use the Armorall leather cleaning wipes.It really does a great job.

So far there are no squeaks, rattles, loose knobs, blown fuses or blown lights. Everything works perfectly from the radio, to OnStar, to the CD player, to the climate controls, mirrors, etc. Not one problem to report. None, Nada!

Press the remote entry, open the door, turn the key and the engine starts the first time, everytime. The handling is still as crisp as day one, and the car is as quiet as ever---no engine or wind noise. In terms of maintenance, two oil changes at $21 each. Nothing more.

All in all, the 2008 Chevy Malibu has lived up to and surpassed the hype. It is no surprise it sits atop the J.D. Power quality ratings.

We are enjoying our ride are you?
    Average driving speed is a function that needs to be reset, it's used for individual trips. The number will go down if you are driving in stop and go traffic, the zeros drag it down.

I use it mostly for a highway trips, nothing else.

Anyway.. my shifts at low speeds are almost impossible to notice.
    Very encouraging to hear your report.

We have had our LT for 4 1/2 months now and zero issues for us so far. I love the car, it feels like a luxury car and it's build like a tank. So far I have no regrets, car is as advertised.

I hope for GM more people notice the Malibu and buy.
    It happens generally when I make a "rolling stop." A noticeable kick from 2nd into 1st gear. If I am driving normal and make a right/left turn it doesn't do it. Seeing that I drive at such low speeds, it is probably why I notice it so much.
    Definitely get it checked. It's likely a computer fix.
  • johnmilburnjohnmilburn Member Posts: 1
    I also have notived the same issue with the shifing issue. When the car is shifting down around 40 mph mark is when you feel a jerk or a hard low shift. I even took it back to the dealer and they said nothing was wrong. Now there is a recall on the transmission shift cable.

Any one else have this issue? I have the 2009 2LT

Please let me know.
  • dgcamerodgcamero Member Posts: 148
    Currently have a long term 2009 LTZ 4-cyl rental...it's the 3rd one I've rented since October (identically equipped anyway). Though this particular one has obviously had a software update for the transmission and steering, it still shifts rather clunky, especially in 4th, 5th, and 6th gears (1st thru 3rd are actually usually pretty smooth). The grade logic!!!!! is much appreciated though. Also the steering is significantly better than the other two I've driven (the first one was *brand new* with only 12 miles when I got it). This is the transmission that was co-developed with Ford, right? They need to have Ford help them with throttle feathering between gears as the 6-speed auto Fords I've driven shift like butter because they feather the throttle. They could also learn a lesson from VW with the electro-steer.

I really like the car and am strongly considering purchasing one, but they need to at least get the transmission programmed better before I'd buy one. Also, is it possible to achieve 33 mpg? At a constant 65 mph with the A/C off it seems to get 30.5 mpg :(