Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008-2009 Chevrolet Malibu

Comments

• djm2djm2 Member Posts: 712
    Hi All:

I have decided to remove the Goodyear Eagle tires from my 2010 Malibu. These tires are an "accident" looking for a place to happen. ---- After doing some research on the "net" I came up with the following issues:

1.) Tread separating from around the tire.
    2.) Split in the tire surface area.
    3.) Cracks in the inner and outer side wall.
    4.) Slow leak between the tire and the rim.
    5.) Uneven wearing.
    6.) Soft sidewalls.
    7.) The smallest potholes create bubbles in the tire which effectively make them prone to blowouts.
    8.) Weak construction, ---- poor tread wear and poor wet traction.
    9.) Poor durability. They wear out fast.
    10.) Tires can blow without warning.
    11.) When they start to fail there is a "shimming" when driving at 65 / 70 miles per hour that cannot be balanced out.
    12.) Tire separation.
    13.) Cracking around the inside bead of the tire at the rim.

I cannot be on a long road trip, and be worrying about a major tire failure. ------ I would have not done a search on the quality of these tires had I not noticed that my tires were leaking air. ----- I still love the Chevrolet Malibu and the way it handles on the road, and I have an outstanding dealer, but I think GM should put a better quality original equipment tire on this vehicle. ------ They have an excellent product and they could make it even better. ------- TIRES are VERY IMPORTANT. -------- How much more would it add to the MSRP to put a higher quality tire on the LTZ Malibu?

Best regards. --------------- Dwayne :shades: :confuse: ;):)
  • gonogogonogo Member Posts: 879
    Chevy is noted for poor tires.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,078
    Shouldn't that be "Goodyear is noted for poor tires"?

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• imontoyaimontoya Member Posts: 29
    edited January 2011
    The OEM tires on most cars are a compromise tire or the cheapest bulk buy the manufacturer could come up with. The OEM replacement tires for my '08 Malibu LTZ are half the cost of the tires a couple of people in another forum recommended. I have no idea what tire to replace them with though, I certainly don't want to spend $180 per tire.
    Hi imontoya:

I have decided to "bite the bullet" and purchase new Michelin Tires. ---- When I made the deal on this vehicle, I did not want the Goodyear tires! ----- I allowed myself to be talked into this purchase. --------- THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN! ----- (This decision is cast in stone and written in blood.) ------- The next vehicle that I purchase (2012) will have Michelin tires on it, or I walk out of the showroom! ----- (YES, it will be a deal breaker!) ------ If the dealer wants to sell me a vehicle, he / she will have to trade out the existing tires for Michelin OEM tires. ------ I HAVE LEARNED A BIG LESSON. ----- (Listen to that little voice when making a deal!) ---- Recognize that what goes around in life does come around in life! ------ (I will be in the market for a new car in 2012, because my other vehicle will have high mileage. I could purchase a Chevrolet Impala, a Toyota Camry, a Honda Accord, a loaded Hyundai Sonata) ----- This is the reason why American Manufacturers have suffered in the marketplace since the 70s. ---- If I would have purchased a Honda Accord, I would have Michelin tires on the vehicle. ----- I would bet that a Hyundai Sonata has Michelin Tires, but Chevrolet puts on "bottom of the line tires" on their top of the line Malibu. ----- What is wrong with this picture????????????? ---- Best regards. ----- Dwayne :shades: :confuse: ;):)
    If you went to a Goodyear dealer to replace those tires with the same ones, you might be surprised at the price. They are not cheap.

As for your speculation of Michelins on a Sonata, it is simply that. I suspect they may supply Hankooks as the OEM tire.

• smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    I know the Sonata comes OEM with Kumho's and I believe most of the Hyundai line-up does as well. Sorry, no Michelin's for you. If you want OEM Michelin's you have to go to Honda or certain Toyota's.
    Hi ab348:

I recognize that tires are VERY expensive! ----- Both the tire manufacturers and the vehicle manufacturers have an obligation to produce a "quality / safe product." ----- These tires are not safe based on what has been posted on the "net" dealing with this product. ---- Do you remember the issues with Firestone and the Ford Explorer? ----- Everyone denied responsibility! ---- QUESTION: ---- Why must the consumer be exposed to possible injury before corrective action is taken? ---- One of the signs of a "defective tire" is a slow leak between the tire and the rim of the wheel. ---- When a tire looses air, the side walls will flex. This action over time will cause damage to the tire's construction. ------ The problem with these tires is that they have a weak side wall, and as such, it does not make a tight seal with the mating rim of the aluminum wheel. ---- I am VERY sure that both GM and Chevrolet are aware of this condition, but they are waiting to see if the issue is going to hit media before they do anything about the problem. ----- How many people have to be injured or killed before it becomes an important issue on which to take action?---- This tire exchange is costing me about $1,000.00 dollars. Do I want to spend this money, NO! ---- But how would I feel, knowing that there are problems with these tires and someone gets hurt or killed because I did not take this action. ---- I believe the dealer should buy back these tires based on mileage of use, and allow the customer to pay the difference for new tires of choice! ----- This will never happen, until someone who owns these vehicles gets injured and / or killed and legal action is taken. Then everyone will run for cover, each blaming the other for the injuries. Of course, in any accident, the driver is always blamed. It is always driver error. If the tires are loosing air, the driver is blamed for hitting holes in the road. If there are bulges in the side wall, the driver is blamed for hitting the curbs. (The manufacturer never tells anyone that the side wall of the tire is weak!) ------ In the future, (2012) I will be purchasing a new vehicle. That vehicle will have a set of four "Original Equipment Michelin Tires" if the dealer wants to sell me that vehicle. ----- Best regards to all. --------- Dwayne :shades: :confuse: ;):) :mad:
    I'm just saying that you may be overstating the problem. These Goodyear Eagle LS tires are used on literally millions of cars and not just GM cars either. I had a set that came as standard on my '02 Intrigue. They were mediocre tires in terms of treadwear and noise but I had no safety issues with them. I currently have a set of Eagle LSIIs on my '09 Buick and have had no problems either. Would I buy them as replacements? No. In fact when I replaced them on the Intrigue I went to Michelins and was very pleased. But I do not have any sense they are a failure on anything approaching the scale of the Firestone/Explorer saga.

Thank you for your reply! ---- This is my situation. ----- I have a 2010 four cylinder LTZ Malibu. This vehicle is serviced every 2,500 miles. (My choice as I travel extensively for my job, and I need dependable transportation.) ----- This translates into having the oil and filter changed and the tire pressure set to 30 pounds. ------ After four weeks after the service, the tire pressure is down to 28 pounds. This has occurred since the vehicle was new. ---- There must be a leak between the tire and the rim when the tire flexes. ----- (Soft side walls or a problem with the tire bead.) ---- I could understand if one tire had this problem, but all four tires??????????????? The maximum mpg on the road with this vehicle is 27mpg. I should be getting between 30 to 33. One of the reasons for the lower mpg could be the tire pressure. ----- Soft tires do not roll easily. ---- QUESTION: ---- Do your tires loose air on your Buick? ---- Best regards. ----- Dwayne :shades: ;):)
    edited January 2011
    According to my TPMS display I lose a couple of pounds after a couple of months, but it then seems to stabilize.

I have heard similar tire pressure stories on other message boards about other cars. I wonder if the use of alloy wheels these days may have something to do with tire pressure issues.

Good Morning:

Thank you for your reply. ---- This is now becoming very interesting. ---- If other vehicle brand names are experiencing the same issue of lost air due to a problem with the aluminum wheels, then we have a "major safety issue" on the roads today, because most people do not service their vehicles at the designated time, (every 5,000 miles), and most people never check their air pressure between oil & filter service. ---- So what we have on the roads today is a large group of vehicles with "low tire pressure" causing the tire walls to flex. ---- Think about this reality when you are traveling at 65 MPH on the highway next to another vehicle.

I am sure that other vehicles are also loosing air over a period of time. (Whether this is a fault of the quality of the tires, the aluminum wheels or a combination of both, this is a very dangerous condition.) ---- My other vehicle is a 2007 XLE V6 Camry. It also has aluminum wheels. The Vehicle came with Bridgestone Tires, but I forced the dealer to exchange the tires for original equipment Michelin Tires. The original Michelin Tires lasted 50,000 miles. I am now on my second set of Michelin Tires and the vehicle has about 62,000 miles. I never have an air loss problem. It could be that the Michelin Tires have a stronger sidewall, thus limiting the "flexing of the tire bead at the aluminum wheel," or the quality of the aluminum wheel is much better than the quality of the Chevrolet wheel.

I am out on the road for days at a time, which is why I "over service" my vehicles. My vehicle is my office and it needs to be 100% --- 24 / 7. A tire problem on the road would be very inconvenient at least, but it would a disaster if I was involved in an accident. ---- I guess I need "peace of mind!" ----- Here is the "BIG QUESTION"! ----- I really like the Chevrolet Malibu. ---- I like the quality of the vehicle. ----- I think it is as good as a Honda Accord. ---- It is a fun car to drive. ---- Up to this issue, I was considering purchasing another Malibu or possibly an Impala in 2012, (if GM developed a 6 speed auto trans), but do I want to deal with anther GM vehicle that has this "tire / aluminum wheel" problem? --- It might be "ok" if the fix is as simple as a set of Michelin Tires!------- Best regards. -----Dwayne :shades: ;) :confuse: :)
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    A two lb. drop in pressure isn't very much. Perhaps it is due to filling the tires at 30lbs in a warm garage and then checking the tires in the cold outside. Approx. 1 lb. is lost for every 10 degree drop in temperature.

Also the garage tire gauge may be calibrated slightly different than yours.

If your were losing four or five lbs., then I would be concerned.
    You make an excellent point! ---- The last time the tire pressure was adjusted by the dealer, the ambient temperature, and the temperature of the wheels & tires was cold. ---- Best regards! ---- Dwayne :shades: :confuse: ;):)
  • bohemia1bohemia1 Member Posts: 33
    2008 LT Malibu

I also have decided that my tires need to be repalced. At least I got 25k out of the oem tires. I am constantly losing air and am not happy with the tire performance.

Has anyone considered or purchased Cooper tires for your Malibu? Any comments?
    Thank you for your positing on this subject! ---- I was starting to think that it was all in my mind! ---- Since 1997, I have either owned or leased five (5) Honda vehicles, one Toyota Camry and now the 2010 Malibu. ---- The Hondas and the Toyota all had Michelin tires, and I never had any problems with the tires. ---- I always got 50,000 miles out of a set of Michelin tires,--- and they never lost air between my 2,500 mile service intervals. ---- The vehicle that I turned in, (against the Malibu), had the original Michelin tires, and they were 6 + years old. They never lost air! ------- Since you have a 2008 Malibu, GM must know that there is a problem with these tires, and they have chosen to ignore the entire issue, -- because they are still installing these tires on their new vehicles. ---- I would suggest that you explore the possibility of purchasing a set of Michelin tires on your Malibu! ----- Bite the bullet and get the best. ---- If I was purchasing this vehicle again, I would insist that the tires be changed. ---- I love the car, but I feel that I have been cheated by the quality of the tires. ---- I hope that the GM representatives monitor this site. ----- We cannot be the only owners of the Malibu that are experiencing this tire problem. ---- Will this be an major issue when I purchase a vehicle in 2012? ----- YES, ----- in fact, it very well could be a "deal breaker," and force me to go to a foreign name plate! ---- Do a search on the "net" about "Cooper tires" and see what you come up with in terms of problems! ------ Best regards. --------- Dwayne :shades: :lemon: ;):)
  • malexbumalexbu Member Posts: 169
    Perhaps not all, but a significant part of your concerns may be in
    your mind, indeed.

The ambient temperature significantly changes the measured pressure
    (as you already agreed). The increased tire temperature due to
    driving the car changes the pressure. The pressure meters are not
    terrifically accurate instruments and are sometimes awkward to use.
    Measuring through a modern type of cap may give different results than
    measuring with the cap off.

Measurement errors are everywhere. OTOH, plus minus three PSi
    shouldn't matter that much.

My advice: buy a quality gauge ($8) and a 12V-socket-powered inflator
    pump ($20), then inspect and pump your tires as frequently as you feel
    needed. With my three Malibus, I do it about once every two months or
    before long trips. Takes 30 minutes, gives a piece of mind and
    understanding.

I expect that you won't find leaks to talk about (every tire leaks a
    bit). I also expect that having the correct pressure of 30 PSi will
    not make your Malibu an MPG winner over your Toyota (judging by the
    numbers you quoted).

Just measure everything yourself and don't trust anybody, even your
    dealer.

BTW, changing oil and filter every 2500 miles is a certain overkill:
    it doesn't make your car any better of safer -- on the opposite,
    increases the chance that a technician drops something
    harmful into your engine. (On top of costing you money and polluting
    the environment.) Follow the manual on that and other issues.

Hope you'll begin enjoying your Malibu more when you start your own
    DIY :-)
    Hi malexbu:

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your suggestions. They are appreciated.

I do own a quality tire gauge. In fact, I keep one in each vehicle. I could easily check and adjust my tire pressure every week if necessary, when I purchase fuel.

Since my last posting, I found someone who has solved this problem with these tires. ------- He simply installed a liquid tire sealer in each tire. ----- This stopped the slow tire leak. (I do not know what this sealer will do in the tire over time, but it did solve the leak problem.)

Since we are discussing this issue on an open forum, lets consider these concepts. My Chevrolet LTZ Malibu had an MSRP of $30,000.00. (I did not pay anywhere near this amount, but for discussion sake, lets say that the Malibu is worth $30,000.00 dollars. ----- Is this defect acceptable in a product worth $30,000.00 dollars? ----- Would be be acceptable in a Bentley at $363,000.00, a BMW at $85,550.00, a Mercedes Benz at $58,200.00 or a Porsche at $245,000.00? ----- I guess what I am asking is ----How much do you have to pay for a new vehicle to get a "quality product" that does not have such an issue? ----- Where is the cut off point in terms of price, that guarantees the customer quality and / or customer satisfaction?

I am sure that a person who purchases a Bentley, BMW, Mercedes or a Porsche would not accept this condition on their new vehicle, and I am sure that these companies would correct the problem to the satisfaction of the customer. For those of us who can only afford a Chevrolet, this is our Bentley, BMW, Mercedes or Porsche. Why aren't we treated as valued customers?

Best regards. ----- Thank you for your time. ------ Dwayne :shades: ;):)
    Dwayne,

Checking and adjusting the tire pressure at gas stations is not always
    easy and reliable.

For some reason, Shell and Mobil gas stations I have tried to do it
    at, have terrible gauges and it's a pain and waste of time to adjust
    tire pressure there. I only saw good electronic systems at Hess
    stations around here. So, I've come to the conclusion that it would
    be better to do it at home with proper equipment -- I now do that and
    don't have worries about the tire pressure.

I don't think I would use Slime or another sealer to seal a leaking
    tire. If it leaks you've got to find the cause and fix or replace the
    tire (I do drive with a tire I plugged myself -- it's as good as new.)

On your concept question: "Is this defect acceptable in a product
    worth $30,000.00 dollars?"

You didn't demonstrate your defect; you have a perception of a defect.

You didn't report your own measurements history. I am not to eager to
    go back and reread your long postings but I think you said you had
    "the problem" in all four tires. A simultaneous and quanitatively
    similar leak in four wheels/tires seems extremely unlikely to me.

Pump your tires to the same pressure (say, 31 PSi). Come to your car
    with your quality preasure gauge in the morning on a weekend, when the
    tires are cold. Measure, record. Do the same the next weekend (or
    the weekend after). Always in the morning, before driving the car.
    Measure (w/o releasing air), record.

Do this for a month, report your data. Until there is no trend
    showing a leak, your don't have a case.

A defective tire is not acceptable to drive with in any car, $30K or $5K.

But to demand that your Malibu had Michelins is ridiculous. I don't
    know if Michelins are any better than Goodyears (like many other
    people I haven't had problems with Goodyears.) But in the free market
    economy you are free to buy what you want, at the price you want --
    and nobody is obliged to sell you what you want. Manufacturers do
    handle safety problems with equipment, but your claims that Goodyears
    are unsafe are not serious: they may be, like everything else, but
    it's not for you to make a general claim of that nature -- report your
    personal experience, accurately, please, and let people make their own
    conclusions.

If I had to buy a car now, I would likely buy another Malibu -- I
    don't give a damn about Goodyears vs Michelins. You do: fine, go find
    a car with those. Chevrolet doesn't have an obligation to sell you
    what you want. Like every reasonable business they have to balance
    various factors and be profitable, or else.

"Why aren't we treated as valued customers?" I have dealt with
    several Chevrolet dealers and have nothing but praise for them, some
    of them were just extraordinary. And I love my Malibus. What else do
    I need from Chevrolet? (I.e. I strongly disagree with this statement
    of yours.)

Regards :-)
    Dwayne: Please read malexbu's posting carefully. He is right on. You must check your tires as he has suggested. Installing slime in four relatively new tires is the absolute wrong thing to do. Goodyear vs. Michelin. The debate would go on forever. They both make excellent tires and their share of mediocre tires--but not inferior tires.
    Good Morning malexbu:

Thank you for taking the time to share your ideas on this most important subject. ------ Please be assured that your efforts are greatly appreciated.

In a previous posting on this subject, you stated that you owned three (3) Chevrolet Malibus. ----- Could you list the year of each vehicle, and the brand of tire you have on each vehicle? ------ Are these tires the "original equipment tires?" ----- I ask you these questions because you state that you adjust the air on these vehicles frequently. ----- If all three (3) Malibus have this issue, I would say that there is a production problem either with the tires, or the aluminum alloy rims, or a combination of the two components.

I think that you misunderstood my 2,500 mile service schedule. (I choose to have my vehicle serviced every 2,500 miles by the selling dealer, because I earn my living "on the road," and I want to be sure that all fluids are at the proper levels, and I have a fresh oil and filter change, because I do not want to deal with this issue on the road. ----- I want the selling dealer to perform all the service on this vehicle, because I want all my service records in one place.) Sometimes I have this service done at 3,000 miles, depending on my work schedule, but I never have it done at 5,000 miles. (Oil and filters are cheap, ---- engines are expensive.) ---- If I wanted to, I could do my own oil and filter changes, but I rather have the dealer perform this service for me at their facility. ----- I have more important things to do with my time. Time is money, and sometimes you need to have professionals handle the routine activities.

I do not expect Chevrolet to produce a vehicle with Michelin tires even though I do prefer that brand, but I do expect Chevrolet to produce a vehicle that demonstrates high quality. (It should be as good as a Honda Accord.) The recommended service interval for this vehicle is 5,000 miles. At this point in time, the oil and filter are changed and all fluids are checked. The tires are check for nails and the air pressure is set to specifications. When my vehicle is serviced the tire pressure is set at 30 psi. Four (4) weeks later, my tires are at 28psi. This is the pressure on all four tires. So, whatever is occurring, it is occurring on all four tires simultaneously. The probability of all four tires hitting the same type of "pot hole" and loosing the same amount of air is not even a possibility. ---- If your Malibus have Goodyear tires and the same type of aluminum / alloy wheels and they are loosing air, you have made my position! ----- (There is either a problem with the tires, the wheels and a combination of both)

I find this exchange of information to be very stimulating because it is obvious that you have some knowledge about automobiles. My background is in the field of Industrial Technology and Human Development and I am self educated in the automotive environment. (I read a lot of books.) ---- Self education is just as good as a formal education.

Lets keep this going, as I am learning a lot from you!

Best regards. ---------- Dwayne :shades: ;):)
    Dwayne: When you check your tires the way that malexbu suggests, and allowing for natural pressure reduction due to temperature decreases report back to us. How long do you think a tire should stay at exactly 30psi.? Six months? A year? It varies according to temp. and heat build up. Why don't you try nitrogen? It is supposed to hold its pressure better than air.
    Thank you for you reply. ----- I would assume that the service staff at the dealership, is trained by the factory to inflate tires according the the manufacturer's specifications. ------- (This is what I am paying them to do as a service customer!) ------- I would expect that the tires would hold pressure for at least one month after the vehicle is serviced. ---- (If I am loosing 2 psi in four weeks, then in eight weeks I would be down to 26psi, and in twelve weeks I would be down to 24psi.) ------- You did not share any information on your three (3) Malibus. I am looking forward to reading this information. ----- I am not trying to be "difficult' and / or "argumentative," but rather I am trying to come up with a solution to the problem. ---- I am paying for service at a Chevrolet Dealership, so I am going to make the assumption that they are "qualified to perform this service" according to the manufacturer's specifications, and they are using the correct materials, fluids, parts and gases. ----- If nitrogen is better than air, then I would assume that the service technicians would have been instructed to install it as a part of the routine service operation. This is not my concern as a paying service customer. --------- I am willing to do the necessary research on this problem, and I will pass on this information to the service management of the dealership in an effort to resolve the problem in a professional manner. ----- I am not trying to paint GM in a negative light, rather what I want is this problem resolved. ---- If this takes a new set of tires, new wheels or a combination of both so be it! ----- Thank you again for your time and concern with regards to the sharing of information and your ideas.------ Please be assured that it is greatly appreciated. ----- Best regards. ------- Dwayne :shades: ;):)
    I am not the correspondent with the three Malibus. We are just trying to help you understand that perhaps you really don't have a problem. As far as the tires losing more air as you suggest--28 to 26-etc. It doesn't work that way, unless there are real problems. Twenty-eight psi is probably the bottom pressure for a few months. Why won't to try our suggestions to monitor your pressures for a longer time in the way we have suggested?

As far as the''trained techs"I have had my tires inflated to the maximum allowed pressure as stated on the sidewall by these trained techs. This was at a premium auto dealership. I always check my tires after being at a service centre. They are wrong more than they are right. Usually a young trainee checks the tires and is under dealership pressure to just get the job done.
    Thank you for your reply, and I do understand you logic. ------ But here is the all important question. ------ My other vehicle, (a 2007 V6 XLE Camry with 62,000 miles & aluminum / alloy wheels that is serviced in the same fashion), and right at this moment is sitting in the driveway beside the 2010 Malibu in same cold New Jersey weather, does not have this tire issue. ----- Why? ----- NOTE: ---- The malibu has been serviced three (3) times by the selling dealer, since the vehicle was purchased new, and each time the tire pressure dropped in all four tires after four weeks. ---- Monitoring for a longer period of time is subject to debate. --- I have two vehicles driven, and serviced in the same fashion, but respond in a different manner in this area! ------- Something must be different and it has nothing to do with the vehicle's name plate. ---- The only options are tires, wheels or valves and / or a combination of each. ------- Thank you for your patience and understanding. ----- I enjoy the conversation and the "give and take! ---- This is what makes America great. We each have our own opinions, and we have the freedom to express those opinions in a professional manner. ------ Best regards. ------- :shades: ;):)
    Dwayne, I am the one with the three: I have (in the present tense) two
    2005 sedans (steel wheels) and one 2006 Maxx (alloys). I have OEM
    Goodyear tires on one sedan, Sumitomo HTR T4 Ultra Premium Touring on
    the other, and a combo of two Goodyear Eagle ComforTreds and two
    Coopers on my Maxx.)

I *do not* have "your problem" with either car: I do check the tire
    air pressure often (because I care) but have to add air only
    occasionally; I always do it when the cold weather starts.

Your Camry may be better than your Malibu, or it may be that 62,000
    miles on it make a difference -- Camry's tires might have settled
    better than the ones on your much younger Malibu. To help the tires
    settle better, pump them to 33-35 PSi and drive for a couple of weeks.

After Sears replaced a punctured tire on my Sedan a few years ago, I
    felt pretty bad watching the air pressure in it going down over time,
    pretty quickly. I pumped it up to 35 PSi -- and have never detected a
    systemic air pressure deterioration in it since then.

You can continue to question us and your dealer, or you can just try
    to do what several people suggested you to try (pump your tires
    yourself on a weekend morning; record the pressure reading in similar
    conditions every week for a month). I'd do the latter :-)

Your assumption about the dealers being qualified to do the car
    maintenance... Well, it's your car and your decision, I'll say :-)
    Hi Malexbu:

I will try your suggestions. ----- Thank you for your ideas. ------ QUESTION: are your three vehicles 6 or 4 cylinder vehicles? ------ I purchased the 4 cylinder LTZ because I though that it had enough power with the six speed automatic transmission, and I was attracted by the 30 to 33 advertised MPG. ---- To date, I have only be able to get 27 MPG on the highway. ------ My V6 XLE Camry gets easily 30 MPG, and on a long trip I have hit 34 MPG. ---- I sacrificed performance for MPG on the Malibu. My Camry can run rings around the Malibu and still give me 30 MPG. ----- Compared to the Malibu, the Camry is a "Mustang in terms of performance!" ---- I like the Malibu in terms of style and handling, but I DO NOT THINK their technology comes close to a Toyota or Honda! ---- What ever happened to American Engineering? -------- (Note; --- I have tried different brands of fuel and different octanes, and the results are the same --- 27MPG. ----- Any ideas??????? Best regards.--------- Dwayne :shades: ;):)
  • 88alfa88alfa Member Posts: 2
    Hi DMJ,
    I have a 2009 Malibu LT with the 4 cyl. 6 speed trans. (which is no longer available for the 4 cyl.). The best I mpg I got was 29 on a spring day with no AC and all highway. I am really disappointed with the 6 speed as it jumps around constantly unless your are on the highway. When I bring it in for servicing and ask them to check it they tell me it is performing "as designed". I think they tried to make a high performance from an engine that is too small. Does your transmission react in same way?
    Hi All:

I just became aware of the following information. ----- If you burn out a headlamp, (low or high beam), or a turn signal lamp up front, ----- YOU CANNOT access them to replace the bulb without TAKING OFF THE FRONT BUMPER. ----- The dealer will quote you two (2) hours of labor plus the cost of the bulbs to perform this service. ---- If this is true, when one bulb is in need of replacement, (to make the service economical) , ---- you would have to replace all the bulbs, --- because if another bulb burned out a week later, you would be stuck with another bumper removal labor charge. ----- QUESTIONS ---- Does the original new vehicle warranty cover this service? ----- Does the GM extended warranty cover this service? ---- At $100.00 dollars an hour service charge, one bulb could cost the customer $250.00 dollars. ----- QUESTION: ----- Is this "logical engineering" with service in mind! ------- Best regards. -------------- Dwayne :shades: :confuse: ;):) :lemon:
    Hi 88alfa:

When I am on the road cruising at 60mph, if I press on the accelerator a little too hard, the transmission will down shift, I would assume to 5th gear, but it could be going down as far as 4th!!!!!!! ------ In the past, I owned a 2003 Honda 4 cylinder Accord. The acceleration was much better, and the transmission was not as sensitive as the Malibu. ---- I am disappointed with the performance of the four (4) cylinder on the highway. ----- My old Accord could pull away from the Malibu at 60 mph. ------ While the vehicle is a good copy of the Honda Accord, the four cylinder engine lacks the refinement of the Honda engine. ----- GM needs to do a "lot more work" if they want to compete with the Honda Accord. ---- The Buick Regal has a version of this engine with a turbo! ----- Maybe that would make the difference in performance, but the Regal is made in the Opel Plant in Germany. ----- I am seriously thinking of dumping this vehicle as soon as I rack up 36,000 miles, (even though I have a 6 year 100,000 mile GM extended warranty.) ---- I will probably go back to a Toyota or Honda. ---- No more American cars for me! ------ I have had it! --------- Best regards. ----- Dwayne :lemon: :confuse: :shades: ;):)
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    88alfa,
    How many times have you had your vehicle to the dealer for this? Can you please email me your VIN?
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    Dwayne,

Thanks for thinking about trying! When you have data collected, please post it
    here -- I am very interested, and we may learn something new.

The engine cylinders: 4 in sedans (140 HP), 6 in Maxx (205 HP). Remember, this is the
    Malibu generation one before yours, so the engines are not identical to the one you
    have.

(My Malibus are German Opels, rebranded for the American market; yours is not -- a
    uniquely American design, as far as I understand.)

Both engines are adequate for me -- I usually travel in the left lanes on the
    highway.

Maxx doesn't have an outstanding MPG, but had the power one can surely feel. On the
    4-cyl car MPG, see my posting #336 (38.2 [Re: 37.37)) at the Edmunds forum "Chevrolet
    Malibu MPG-Real World Numbers".

From reading the Malibu forums at Edmunds.com, I've concluded that the current
    generation of Malibu has a noticeably lower MPG than the previous ("my") generation.
    Your words, "To date, I have only be able to get 27 MPG on the highway." are
    in line with that.

My V6 XLE Camry gets easily 30 MPG, and on a long trip I have hit 34 MPG. I
    sacrificed performance for MPG on the Malibu. My Camry can run rings around the
    Malibu and still give me 30 MPG.

From what you have said so far, I do feel that your Camry is superior to this
    generation of Malibus (which doesn't make me happy).

After what I just learned from you, I suspect that I wouldn't be inclined to buy a
    2008+ Malibu :-(

I like the Malibu in terms of style and handling, but I DO NOT THINK their
    technology comes close to a Toyota or Honda! ---- What ever happened to American
    Engineering?

It's been outsourced, the engineers let go, new grads can't find jobs etc. There
    will be more of it, get ready.

I have tried different brands of fuel and different octanes, and the results
    are the same --- 27MPG

I monitor MPG very carefully, calculating it after each fillup. I 've come to
    believe that the brand doesn't matter at all: on the same highway (but different
    stretches) I was getting a higher MPG from the VA-local brand Sheetz than from the
    first tier Shell.

I can only suggest that you watch your MPG on the DIC, and don't accelerate hard;
    compute the MPG by the fuel purchases after each fillup and work out MPG-increasing
    habits (this does matter).

Looking forward to your data on the air pressure, and perhaps on the MPG dynamics --
    thanks!
    Hi Christina:

I see that GM does monitor this forum. From the positing that you sent to (88alfa), I see that you have an interest in his transmission problem. You are requesting his Vin Number.

I also have an issue with a new 2010 Chevrolet LTZ Malibu dealing with a loss of air on all four tires. ------ In order to feel safe driving this vehicle, I am contemplating purchasing four new Michelin tires. ------- The is a major expense on my part in order to feel safe in a new vehicle. ---- (I should not have to make this purchase!) ----- The "track record" of Goodyear tires is dismal at best! ---- Is GM also interested in my problem? ------ Best regards. ------ Dwayne :shades: :confuse: ;):)
    djm2,
    Have you taken your vehicle in to your local dealer of choice for this issue?
    Christina
    GM Customer Sevice
  • uncledewey1uncledewey1 Member Posts: 25
    When I first read your message, I thought, that's the same problem I have on my 2008 Malibu LTZ with about 8,000 miles. I took a copy of your message to the dealer and after the mechanic had inspected he said I had the same problem--they found a gear failure was causing the problem. It too took all day to replace and adjust the "tow" of my front wheels. I also met someone in the Safeway parking lot who asked how I liked my Malibu. He had a 2005 Malibu and in the conversation said the only problem he'd had was having to have the electric steering unit replaced.

My warranty is up in August 2011 and the dealer rep said my repair was warranted for one year or 12,000 miles. GM has had a problem with the electric steering for a very long time so I'm extremely concerned that the electric steering had to be replaced with only 8,000 miles. It may be time to by a new car from a GM competitor.

What a shame. Uncle Dewey
    Hi Christina:

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for responding to my posting. ---- Please be assured that it is GREATLY appreciated. ----- The response to your question is YES! ----- I have an OUTSTANDING DEALER, both in terms of sales and service, and I DO NOT want to jeopardize my relationship with my dealer. ----This is not the dealer's fault. ---- Simply put, the quality of the Goodyear tire is not on the same level of the rest of the vehicle. ---- Before I purchased this vehicle, I search all the name plates, (foreign and domestic.) ---- I could have purchased a Honda, Hyundai, Ford or a Toyota. ---- I chose a Chevrolet because I liked the quality of the vehicle. ----- When I purchased this vehicle, I did not want the Goodyear tires, because I had a bad experience with them on a new vehicle in 1995 on the highway at 60mph. ----- But I was talked into keeping them. ----- On the test drive the vehicle seemed to drive and handle "ok," so I took the chance, and took delivery with the stock tires. ------ I choose to service my vehicle at the selling dealer every 2,500 miles. (oil and filters are cheap, ---- engines are expensive.) ---- This additional service means that my tire pressure is being monitored, and set more often than those customers who service their vehicle according to the book at 5,000 mile intervals. ----- The selling dealer DOES NOT HAVE THE AUTHORITY to offer me a "trade in" and / or an "exchange" for Michelin tires. ---- The tires do not hold air over time! ----- If you take the time to research these tires on the "net," you will see additional problems associated with these tires. ---- If I choose to replace these tires with original equipment Michelin tires it will cost me $222.00 for each tire. That translates into $888.00 for a set of four tires. ---- My vehicle now has 8,000 + miles. ---- My vehicle is used mostly on the highway. ---- The best mileage I have every seen with this vehicle is 27mpg. ----- I have used different brands of fuel and different octanes. ---- The results are the same. ----- (The advertised mileage is between 30 to 33mpg.) ---- Tire construction has a lot to do with mileage. ---- If a tire does not roll freely, the mileage of the vehicle will suffer. ---- My major concern is my safety, and the safety of others who come in contact with my vehicle. ---- My second vehicle is a 2007 XLE V6 Toyota Camry with 62,000 + miles & a 6 speed automatic trans. On a road trip, I can easily get 30 mpg, and at times this can go up to 34 mpg. (This vehicle has original equipment type Michelin tires.) ------ The Malibu has a four cylinder engine, and a 6 speed automatic trans. ---- This vehicle should at least equal the mileage of the Camry. (If it doesn't, --- than what was the purpose of buying a 4 over a 6? I sacrificed performance by purchasing a 4 to get milage. ---- Now I do not get the mileage and I do have the performance. ----- The Camry will "snap your head back" when accelerating onto the highway, and I can easily get 30 mpg at 60 mph. ----- I believe that the lack of mileage is directly connected to the quality of the stock tires. ---- The dealer has been outstanding, and I will not identify the dealer on this open forum. ----- I will only identify the dealer if 'something positive" is going to happen with regards to this issue, and I will only do this either by phone or a private E-mail. ----- Short of that, I will make my own decision in terms of keeping these tires. (NOTE: ---- I have a 6 years extended warranty, and a prepaid oil and filter service contract, so I want to maintain a professional relationship with the dealer. ------ In addition, this issue is NOT the fault of the dealer. ---- This is a manufacturer's issue, so as such, I DO NOT WANT TO GET INTO AN ADVERSARIAL POSITION WITH THE SELLING DEALER! ) ----- The dealer cannot offer me a trade in on the stock tires. --- This would have to come from GM! ---- Personally I like the vehicle. ------ Before the tire issue raised its ugly head, I was considering purchasing another GM vehicle, possibly a Buick Regal with a turbo. ----- Best regards. Thanks again for your time and concern. ----- Dwayne :shades: :confuse: ;):)
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    the electronic assist steering issues were a common problem with the 04-07 Malibus.....but they GM seems to have corrected it in MY 08 and beyond....I have an 04 Maxx LT..with over 177K on it...and have no steering column problems at all.....I have had no major mechanical issues with it and it will be 7 years old next month...
    I hope you are correct. Mine is a 2008 LTZ Malibu--so it is 2 1/2 years old with about 8,000 miles and the electric steering had to be replaced. My confidence level is not very good--would be nice if the GM rep butted in and give us some assurance, but....

Uncle Dewey
    Hi POA:

Kindly describe the symptoms of the "steering problem" on the Malibu LTZ vehicle. ------- Sometimes, when I stop to back into a parking space, the steering wheel becomes "stiff," until I start to move in reverse. Then it frees up, and acts in a normal fashion! ---- Does this resemble the symptoms that you have experienced? ------------ Best regards. ------------ Dwayne :shades: ;):)
    uncledewey1,
    Has the problem been resolved? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    edited February 2011
    Hi Christina,

The squeak is gone ever since the dealer replaced the internal steering gear. I was told the repair would be warranted for one year. What concerns me is I only had around 8,000 miles, plus I spoke with the owner of a 2005 Malibu who had the same problem. It seems GM has a weak link in the way the steering mechanism is made and GM has known about the problem before the "completely" redesigned Malibu in 2008. Since my vehicle's warranty will expire in August I'm concerned about having to replace the steering gear again at my expense which seems like it would be very expensive since they needed the vehicle the entire day.

At any rate, thank you very much for your concern, Uncle Dewey
    Hi All:

I just returned from a road trip with the Malibu. ---- The vehicle now has about 8,700 + miles. ----- I used 92 octane fuel on the trip, and I averaged 31.5 mpg at 60mph. ---- This is an improvement from 27mpg. ---- The air pressure in the tires is 31psi. ---- I cannot explain the jump in mileage, (from 27mpg to 31.5)! ---- The 92 octane fuel was purchased at "fast food road stops," so I cannot give you a brand name for the fuel! ----- Maybe the engine has broken in, and it is now more efficient! ---- The Malibu performed very well, (but not as good as my Camry V6 which also get easily 30mpg!) ---- I now feel much better about this vehicle. (At least I am getting the "miles per gallon!") ---- Maybe it is the premium fuel that did the trick??????? ----- Best regards. -------- Dwayne :shades: ;):)
    How do you know that you "averaged 31.5 mpg"?
    Hi Malexbu:

Based on the "on-board computer display!" ------ Prior to this reading, the display was showing a maximum of 27mpg on all trips! ------ Dwayne :shades: ;):)
  • sidewinderzsidewinderz Member Posts: 49
    edited February 2011
    with my 2008 4 cyl Malibu I was getting 30 mpg HWY DRIVING when I went from NJ to Va ,(reg octane ) . Average mpg for combo city / hwy driving , is approx 23 mpg... and My Trans is NOT six speed...., 4 speed . I will try a higher octane and see if it helps my MPG
    Hi Sidewunderz:

I was getting 27mpg in the past, and on this last trip, I got 31.5 mpg at 60mph. ---- During the course of the trip, the computer on the vehicle went as high as 34mpg., as long as I was traveling in traffic at 55mph. ------ I think this is "ok" for this vehicle with a 4 cylinder, and a 6 speed trans. --------- (My 2007 automatic - 6 speed V6 Toyota Camry gets 30mpg at 60 mph without a problem & it has GREAT performance!) ---- The Malibu lacks "passing power" on the highway staring at 60mph. ------- A Honda four cylinder could pull away from this vehicle with ease! ---- But this vehicle is "ok, and I can live with it!" ------ This engine NEEDS A TURBO like the Buick Regal! ------- Dwayne. :shades: ;):)
    That's what I suspected. You shouldn't trust your "on-board computer display" (a.k.a. DIC). Unless there has been a dramatic improvement recently, it is very inaccurate. Buy fuel, record the distance, divide -- you may be surprised by the results. :-)
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    from what I read here does this mean you have never reset the DIC MPG display?...agree with another poster..I have found the DIC to be between 1.5 to 2 MPG off in the calculation....fill the tank.....drive a few hundred miles..then refill....divide miles by gallons used....you will see a difference!
  • bohemia1bohemia1 Member Posts: 33
    2008 Malibu LT1, V6, 27,000 miles
    I really enjoy this car and find it very comfortable. I experienced the following issues, which are disappointing:

Replace sway bar
    Replace brakes
    Replace steering shaft - replacement still has issues: grinding sound, click & resistance when turning right
    A couple of alignments - car wanders side to side
    Tires have slow leak

Overall get 25mpg per DIC
    All repairs completed under warranty. Dealer has been great to work with.
    Plan to schedule dealer visit next week for unresolved issues.
    Hi Bohemia1:

I will bet that the wandering problem, (from side to side), has a direct relationship to the tires. (I purchased a new 2010 Chevrolet LTZ 4 cylinder Malibu, and it came with Goodyear Eagle tires. ---- They are garbage! ---- They leak air! ---- They are an accident looking for a place to happen!) ---- I replaced Goodyear tires with Michelin tires, (AT MY OWN EXPENSE), and the vehicle operates totally different on both the dry pavement and in snow! ---- I no longer have an "air loss" problem! --- IF YOU HAVE GOODYEAR TIRES ON THIS VEHICLE, REPLACE THEM WITH MICHELIN TIRES! ------- Best regards. --------- Dwayne :shades: :shades: