Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008-2009 Chevrolet Malibu

Comments

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    bohemia1,
    Please keep me updated on your progress at the dealer.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • hrockinpowerhrockinpower Member Posts: 1
    Check your front drive axles, the longer one has a slip joint that fails. I believe it's the passenger side. Hope this helps
  • djm2djm2 Member Posts: 712
    Hi Bohemia:

Problems associated with Goodyear Eagle Tires:

1.) Early Balding.

2.) Uneven Tire Wearing

3.) Vibration

4.) Soft Sidewalls. ---- (The Sidewalls can bubble and begin to leak. ---- The soft sidewall can cause the tire to burst during travel. ----- This can cause a total loss of vehicle control.

QUESTIONS: ----- Do you want these tires on your vehicle? ----- Do you question why a new vehicle manufacturer would put these poor quality tires on a new vehicle? ---- Do you "THINK" that GM will ever give us the answers to these questions? ----- Do you "THINK" that GM will take responsibility for the accidents associated with these tire failures? ---- Would you purchase a GM vehicle with Goodyear Eagle tires on the vehicle? ----- Would you purchase another GM vehicle? -----

I would purchase another GM vehicle, but not with Goodyear Eagle tires. (The basic vehicle is an excellent product, but the choice of tires by GM shows a total lack of concern for safety, and a lack of concern for the welfare of the customer!) ----- The is a GM representative the monitors this board, and I would love to hear the GM official point of view on this subject!

Best regards. ----------- Dwayne :shades: ;)
  • ohc6sprintohc6sprint Member Posts: 23
    I have a 2008 Saturn Aura XR, 6cyl with 31,000 miles on the car. It has the original 225/50R18 Goodyear Eagle LS2 tires on it. It will need the tires replaced by 35,000 miles. The tires have performed well with even wear. I keep my tire pressure between 35 and 37 psi. My mileage varies from 18 mpg in the city to 32 mpg on the highway with a one time high of 35.3. It handles fine. If I need to look at other brands when I go to replace them, I don't know what I need to improve. At $108 per tire, I have no complaints.
  • bohemia1bohemia1 Member Posts: 33
    Thanks, I hope to have time to get it into the dealer next week.
    Hi ohc6sprint:

I am very happy that your set of Goodyear tires worked out well for you on your 2008 Saturn Aura, but on my 2010 Chevrolet 4 cylinder Malibu LTZ my Goodyear Tires, mounted on Aluminum / Alloy wheels were leaking air since I took delivery of the vehicle. ----- Upon researching these tires on the "net," I found that there were others problems associated with these tires. ---- If I did not feel strongly about the "poor quality of these tires," I would not have expended $800.00 + dollars on replacement tires. ----- (A "blow out," due to side wall failure at 60mph, could be deadly not only for the occupants of the vehicle, but also for other motorists on the road! --- As a driver, I have a responsibility for other people on the road in addition to myself and the occupants in my vehicle!) ------- I believe that GM knows that these tires are of a low quality. ----- (I could purchase a replacement Goodyear Eagle tire for my Malibu for $98.00 dollars, while a replacement Michelin Tire for the same Malibu cost $222.00 dollars.) ---- QUESTION: ---- Do you think there is a difference in quality? ----- ANSWER: ----- A big YES! ----- There is a GM representative on this site. ---- Notice that there has been no comment from GM on this issue! ------ Will I consider purchasing another GM vehicle in the future? ----- YES, ---- but I will negotiate a trade of tires in the purchase price of the vehicle. ---- If this is not possible, I will purchase another name plate vehicle. ----- I like the Malibu. ---- I like the way it handles. ----- The four cylinder's HP should be raised to about 200HP. ----- A Turbo would be a nice addition. ----- GM has a vehicle that they could expand upon in the future. ---- Picture a two door Malibu, (with either a four cylinder turbo dual exhaust engine, or a V6 dual exhaust engine backed by a 6 speed manual or a 6 speed automatic shiftable trans.) ----- A dark cherry, dark green or deep red should be included in the exterior color options. ----- This could be one "hot" machine! ---------------- Best regards. --------- :shades: ;):)
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    Using handsfree calling in our 2008 Malibu LS is convenient but ridiculously expensive. The 2008 Malibu does not have the Bluetooth option so I was wandering if it can be added to work as in the later models. If not, do you guys have a suggestion for an after-market handsfree Bluetooth set-up that works with the car's audio system? We have Bluetooth in our 2011 Buick Lacrosse and it is a joy to use, not to mention the calls are inexpensive through our AT&T cell phone plan rather than buying OnStar minutes at these outrageous prices.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.
  • dispencer2dispencer2 Member Posts: 299
    OK - Your Camry is far better than your Malibu -gets better mileage, probably had better tires, etc etc. Then why don't you simply turn in the Malibu and get another Camry. You can then complain about oil sludge problems, intermittent acceleration, amusingly overpriced dealer "recommended" service, crappy customer service from the manufacturer and so on. Also you will have a car that drives like a small Town Car, Your Grandpa will love it. It will remind him of his 1952 Roadmaster.

Regarding tires -the worst tire I ever had for mileage was a Uniroyal Laredo back in the '60's. All of the other OEM tires I've had on countless new cars were just fine. When they needed replacing I usually replaced them with the same brand and size. If I didn't like the ride or mileage I bought Michelins but I didn't buy new tires until I needed them.

The internet is full of complainers who complain about everything from tires to hotels. Most people who like something don't bother telling the world that they are happy. Unhappy people do just the opposite. If YOU are unhappy with a product buy something else. Nuff said.
    The steering gear/ column/ etc has been replaced twice on my 2009 Cobalt. So far it has been more than a year and everything is OK. I assume that GM has corrected the problem but if it happens again it should be fixed by the dealer free since it is a documented widespread problem.
    Hi dispence2:

Thank you for sharing your opinion.------ Your ideas are greatly appreciated, but your concept of my 2007 Toyota XLE V6 Camry, and my 2010 Chevrolet LTZ four cylinder Malibu is not accurate!

I never meant to imply that the Camry was better than the Malibu. (They are two different types of vehicles.) ---- The 2007 V6 Camry's advertised highway mileage is 30 mpg. --- On a long highway trip I have gotten as high as 34mpg. ----- On the other hand, the Malibu advertises a highway mileage of 33mpg, and to get this figure you have to drive the vehicle at 55mph. ----- I can get 30mpg on the Camry at 65mph with ease! ----- (I should be able to get the same mileage on the four cylinder Malibu at the same speed as the Camry.)

When I purchased the Camry, I also purchased a "Top-Of-The Line" extended warranty from Toyota for the maximum number of years and the maximum mileage. This vehicle is serviced by the selling dealer every 3,000 miles. (The oil and filter are changed and I use a BG / Motor Oil Additive. I do not have any sludge problems with the 3.5 Toyota Engine.) This vehicle has 63,000+ miles, and I have never experienced unintended acceleration, and my selling dealer gives me outstanding service. They get all of my business in terms of maintenance on this vehicle, (brakes, tires ----etc.) ----- This vehicle drives much softer than the Malibu, but I also like the ride of the Malibu. It reminds me of my 2003 four cylinder Honda Accord that I had prior to the Camry. ----- As far as performance, the Camry could easily stay with a stock Mustang coming out of the toll booth on the Garden State Parkway. (When I put the vehicle in passing gear at 60mph the vehicle will pin you to the seat!)

The Chevrolet Malibu is another story. ----- The original equipment Goodyear tires are worth $98.00 retail! (How good could these tires be in terms of quality?) ---- My four Goodyear Tires were losing air between oil and filter changes. ---- (I have this service performed at the selling dealer every 2,500 miles.) ---- In addition, I purchased the replacement Michelin HydoEdge Tires from the Chevrolet Dealer. ------ I enjoy driving the Malibu, and I think Chevrolet has come a long way in terms of producing a quality automobile, but they cheapened the product, when they installed the Goodyear tires. The Malibu with the Michelin Tires drives like a totally different automobile. It drives like a much heavier vehicle. (NOTE: ----- The Chevrolet Dealer is now a dealer for BG Products. ----- I am now using the BG oil additive in the engine at each oil and filter change.) ------ (Since you brought up a 1952 Roadmaster, kindly be advised that I has the pleasure to drive a beautiful 1951 gray Buick Roadmaster with a Dynaflow transmission. It was a beautiful ride! The only down side to this vehicle is that you could not afford to run this car on a regular basis with the cost of fuel.)

I know that you think that I am a complainer, but I am just reporting my opinion of my vehicles for the benefit of those people reading these postings. --- I replaced the tires on the Malibu because I felt that they were not safe. (They were an accident looking for a place to happen.) ------- If I had not replaced those tires, and I was involved in an accident because of those tires, I would have been a very unhappy person.

I think the 2010 Malibu is a very well designed vehicle. It needs better tires and a more powerful engine or the same engine with a Turbo. ---- I would like to see this vehicle as a two door vehicle with a 6 speed manual trans and dual exhaust with "glass packed mufflers." ----- With a Dark Cherry paint, body side moldings, pin-striping, and mud flaps this would be one "HOT" machine! ------ (I like the shiftable six speed automatic transmission. If you drive it in the proper fashion, it is easy to simulate a conventional stick shift.) -------- (Yes, it is possible to "run the gears!") ------

I am not an unhappy person. On the contrary, I am enjoying life. At this point in time, I am looking for a replacement to my 2007 Camry. (I want to get out of this vehicle at 90,000 miles.) After doing some research on the net, I have been reading that the Chevrolet Impala will be getting a new V6 engine and a six speed transmission in 2012. I will be looking at this vehicle. Some sites are reporting that the Malibu is going to be built on the same platform as the Buick Lacross. This could translate into the Malibu LTZ being a different vehicle, and something to consider.

Best regards. ----------- Dwayne :shades: ;):)
  • sgr5516sgr5516 Member Posts: 163
    edited March 2011
    I frequently read these forums and rarely reply or post anything. You certainly are entitled to your opinions. But if you think they benefit other readers, you might want to reconsider. Your posts are way to long and much too repetitive. I for one am tired of reading about your tires and what GM should do. I am at point where I am skipping over anything with your name on it. Sorry, but that's just my opinion.
  • malexbumalexbu Member Posts: 169
    I second sgr5516.

djm2, more than one of these boards' dwellers have shown good will to you, sharing what we know. You returned nothing, not confirming any of your statements with any measured data. Nobody can tell you not to post here, but I, for one, will no longer bother replying to you, unless you change your style. At this point in time, you are a joke in my book, sorry to tell you (your replying me in kind will not bother me.)
    Hi malexbu:

Thank you for sharing your opinion and feelings with me, and the group of people that read this board. ----- I appreciate your honesty. ------ I do not understand your "annoyance with me" with regards to my postings. ---- My goal, with regards to my postings, was to share "pertinent material" that might be helpful to other Malibu owners. ------ QUESTION: What is wrong with this purpose? ----- Did I in some way offend you?

I do not understand the intent of your comments. I think I was very accurate with regards to my issues with the Goodyear tires. ---- I service my vehicle every 2,500 miles, and I was losing air between service intervals. ---- I decided to replace the original equipment tires with a higher quality tire, (Michelin HydroEdge). ----- This was done based on my research on the "Net" with regards to the quality and defects associated with the Goodyear Eagle Tires. (If you care to do the research just type up "Goodyear Eagle Tire Problems!")

Everyone is entitled to their opinion in terms of quality and performance of the Chevrolet Malibu, and the tires installed at the factory. ------ (I am NOT an engineer nor do I have the time to do a scientific research study. I use a vehicle as a tool for my career. I want my vehicle to run in a "state of the art fashion" on a daily basis, which is why I have my Malibu serviced every 2,500 at the selling dealer) ----- When I purchased this vehicle I compared it to the 2003 four cylinder Accord that I owned prior to the Camry. The 2010 four cylinder Malibu handled very similarly to the 2003 Honda Accord. I DID NOT purchased the 2010 Accord because the seats were very uncomfortable, especially the back of the bucket seat. On the other side of the issue, the Malibu had much more comfortable seats. The Accord came with original equipment Michelin tires, while the Malibu came with original equipment Goodyear Eagle tires.

When I experienced the loss of air between service intervals, I had the tires inflated to 32psi hoping to seat the tire against the aluminum wheel. ------ Even at the higher pressure the tires continued to lose air. ----- Prior to installing the new Michelin tires I had the aluminum alloy wheels tested for porosity. If they were porous the wheels could have been coated with an epoxy coating. The installation of the new tires was a long process because of the wheel testing, tires installation, wheel balancing and four wheel alignment. ----- NOTE, I have NOT lost any air since the new tires were installed. The logical deduction from this experience is that I had four tires that in some way were porous, or the seal at the aluminum wheel was defective! -------- QUESTION: ---- How much more data do you want on this subject? ----- I apologize if I have offended you in some way. ----- Since I paid for the new Michelin tires and the service associated with this process, I think I have a right to my own opinion with regards to the quality of the Goodyear Eagle Tires. ----- REMEMBER, I am responsible for my safety, and the safety of the people who ride in my vehicle, and the other people on the road. ----- I made a decision to replace what I consider to be a defective set of tires. I posted the reasons for that decision and I stand by my decision. ---- The Malibu drives like a totally different vehicle with the Michelin Tires. It handles very good both in the snow and on wet pavement. It drives like a much heavier vehicle. In my opinion, I think GM should have installed these tires on the vehicle at the factory.

Best regards. ---------- Dwayne :shades: ;):)
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    DJM2

your missing his point here...you have repeated this same story in almost every post you have made...I beleive the general consensus is they get it....

the tires, the camry, the MPG, the leaking air..etc.....

no need to keep repeating it over and over again

have a great day!
    HI Pao:
    I understand you comment! ----- I post in a complete fashion, so someone reading a "current posting" can understand both the "issue" and the "solution." -----
    I always post in a VERY PROFESSIONAL manner.

Best regards! ---------- Dwayne :confuse: :shades: ;):)
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    Dwayne are you using nitrogen in your Michelins? It seems to me that in a previous post you stated that you had switched to nitrogen. It is rather unfair to compare tires with nitrogen to the goodyears without nitrogen. The goodyears might have very well held the nitrogen. By the way goodyear makes some excellent tires, just at a higher price than the ones you had. Also take it for what it is worth, but you do tend to repeat yourself over and over.
    Hi bdyment:

If "nitrogen" was the solution to the problem, (which is hard to believe), why wasn't it installed at the factory? ----- Why didn't the GM representative, (who monitors this board), recommend this solution? ----- Answer: ---- It was not the solution!

Best regards. -------------- Dwayne :shades: :confuse: ;):)
    Dwayne You didn't answer the question. Are you using nitrogen now?
    Nitrogen would be quite expensive to factory fill all cars. Expensive to top up later by car owners.
    Hi bdyment:

Kindly be advised that I am using Nitrogen in my new Michelin HydroEdge tires, and they are holding pressure!

Best regards. ------------------ Dwayne :shades:
    What do you have to pay for nitrogen in your area?
    Hi bdyment:

I believe this serviced added $60.00 dollars to the NEW TIRE package, which included four Michelin HydroEdge tires, installation, balancing and a four wheel alignment. ------- (Since I have the vehicle serviced at the selling dealer, "topping off the tires" is no problem. In an emergency situation I could use air if necessary!)

Best regards. -------- Dwayne
    edited March 2011
    I think that the secret to having good luck with a Toyota is to have a good dealer like yours. Toyota has a history of blaming the owner when engines fail (for example) because of engine sludge. When class action suits are made, Toyota usually caves. Actually the Toyota I like the best is the Avalon. It will be a Cadillac DeVille replacement eventually. I don't care (on that car) about anything but a smooth ride and isolation.

I'm in the market for a Cobalt replacement and am looking at the LT1 Malibu. I'm disappointed at your mileage though. The Avalon beats it. I always get (on the road) from 34 to as much as 41 on the Cobalt. Mid -20's in the city. I get 27-30 on the DeVille. I would expect a 4 cylinder Malibu to at least get 33-35 at 70 and I'm suprised at your mileage and others who commented on the "real world mileage" forum. Ethanol doesn't help either. It cuts 3 mpg off.

In any event the car is relatively cheap, rides well, and holds 4 people. It also comes fully equipped with all the things that I would put on a car. I'll only get the interface package and the convenience package with the power seat plus the red color. I will also get a spare tire and jack.

I sat in a neighbor's '51 new Roadmaster wagon when I was 10 and the thing that impressed me most was that the engine was running and I couldn't hear it! Lots different from our '50 Pontiac.

I looked that Malibus on a lot the other day and the LTZs had Eagles, The rest had Firestones so perhaps GM does not use Goodyears for the entire line. My experience with Eagles has been poor mileage but there are a number of different specs for Eagles from performance tires to regular ones.
    Hi dispencer2:

SPECIAL NOTE: ----- I had an opportunity to drive a 1951 Buick Special "stick shift" with no power steering or brakes! ---- It had a straight eight engine. ---- It was a "blast to drive!" ----- These were GREAT Cars!

When, and "if" you purchase your Malibu, work a deal to trade the Goodyear tires for original equipment Michelin tires. ----- My Malibu drives like a totally different vehicle with the Michelin tires. Quality tires make a BIG difference. ------ If had to purchase the Malibu again, I would go with the V6 engine. (The four is "ok," but I like the extra power on the highway!) ----- I like the quality of the vehicle, and I would purchase it again. ------ Sunday, I ran into an old friend that I had not seen in two (2) years. He owns a 2009 LT Malibu with the four (4) cylinder engine. He likes the vehicle, but if he were to purchase it again, he would also go with the V6 engine. His Malibu came with Firestone tires. He has not had any issue with these tires! ---- (I am not a fan of Firestone tires after the Ford Explorer issue!)

Best regards. ------------ Dwayne

The Toyota V6 Camry will give you 30mpg at 65 mph. (I know this for a fact because I get this figure on the highway when I take my road trips.)
    2008 Malibu, LT/LT1, V6, Auto, Red Jewel, original tires

Purchase May 2008

1,359 miles - alignment problems. Dealer aligned.
    A/C not cold enough. "No codes found - working OK"

1,487 Miles - alignment problems. Dealer aligned (tried different tires, etc. to troubleshoot)
    A/C not cold enough. Found loose ground & repaired

2,384 miles - clunk in front suspension. Replace defective Front stabilizer shaft.

4,863 miles - Normal service. Rotate tires.
    Vibration & "tire squirm". "Normal tire noise"

11,276 miles - Normal service, rotate tires.

15,055 miles - Normal service

18,886 miles - normal service, rotate tires, alignment check.
    Brake squeal - Replace defective brake pads.

25,113miles - Normal service, rotate tires
    Front noise - Replace steering shaft improperly lubricated.

28,668 miles (today)- normal service, rotate tires
    Resistance in steering when turning right. Replace defective steering rack assembly. Replace hydraulic pressure hose due to restriction in line.
    Tires loose air pressure - Found nail in LR tire. No reason found for others.
    Wanders side to side - alignment needed and performed

Chevy on-line service appointment scheduler does not work.

All work performed by selling dealer service department.

I am beginning to think my Malibu was driven off the truck before the ramps were in place.

Any other comments?
    can you be more specific on the alignment issue as to exactly what is our of spec in the alignment....normally a tire switch is done for a wandering issue, but you have had three alignments done so far in 25K..so seems to be a persistent issue....any abnormal tire wear?....what tires did you change too from the OEM tires?
    Good Morning:

SUGGESTION:
    Take your vehicle to an independent body / suspension shop that has a frame straightening capabilities. Have them check to see if the vehicle is "square!" ---- (If it is not, and the vehicle has not been in an accident, you have an issue with both the dealer and the manufacturer!) ----- While the vehicle is at the body shop, have them check all the body bolts to be sure everything is tight and secure. ---- If they have alignment capabilities, have them align the vehicle. ------ It might also be a good idea to check the condition of the tires, wheel bearings and the rims together with suspension components. With all the alignments performed on this vehicle, I would look for worn or damaged components that are not holding the alignment settings. Have the struts and strut mountings checked! ---- Also have suspension bushings checked.

QUESTIONS: ----- Do you have a matched set of tires on this vehicle? ---- Are the tires holding air pressure? ----- Does the vehicle sit squarely on the ground?

Have someone follow you on the highway to see if the vehicle is tracking properly.

Best regards. --------Dwayne
  • sidewinderzsidewinderz Member Posts: 49
    edited March 2011
    Does the 08 (4 cyl) Malibu allow you to go into program mode to Reset my key FOb?
    I'm getting conflicting info from other websites and forums
    I followed the steps as per this link below
    http://www.ehow.com/how_7412703_reset-fob-2008-chevy-malibu.html
    BUT it will not go into a program mode . the doors don't cycle
    Am I doing something wrong or does it mean I have to bring it to my dealer or locksmith ? ( ie having them use the GM Tech 2 Scan Tool. )

Thanks
    Hi All:

Today I had to take a short trip to South Jersey. ----- I was on the New Jersey Turnpike and Route 287. I was traveling at an average speed of 60mph. ------- The new Michelin Tires on the 2010 Malibu are outstanding. ----- It was worth the money to change the Goodyear tires to Michelin tires. ----- The car drives like a much heavier vehicle! ----- According to some research on my part, the 2012 Chevrolet Malibu will be built on a Buick platform. ----- Maybe this will make it a more luxurious vehicle, and the customer will be able to get more "creature comforts" like dual temperature controls, more comfortable seats, and a turbo 4 cylinder engine. ------ Also, ---- the 2012 Toyota Camry will be updated! ----- I will be looking at these two vehicles when they appear in the showroom.

Best regards. ------------ Dwayne
    Beleive it needs a scan tool to reset the FOB unfortunately
  • sidewinderzsidewinderz Member Posts: 49
    edited March 2011
    Pao
    Thanks for the info. I was lucky to get both of my fobs working now .I thought I lost the programming on one.
    On both fobs , i found a cold solder connection at the battery holder. a pin that is soldered down to the pc board poped out . I resoldered it and it's working ok so far . When I put together the other one , it was dead . I thought I lost the programming after resoldering.
    However , at one point when I was trying to go into the program mode in my car. it worked once and then died , I opened it up , resoldered the battery pins again to the board .It worked 3x and then stopped . As a last ditch effort , I roughed up the battery ( both sides ) using a nail file board .Now , it seems to work .I'm keeping this one as a back up .
    sidewinderz,
    I apologize I was unable to find information on the manual procedures for this. I would recommend going into the dealer.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    edited April 2011
    A couple of weeks after my original warranty ran out the front right speaker went silent. A week later, the door ajar light followed by a chime came on. The chime goes off while driving but not the ajar lamp. Took it to dealer, $100 for diagnostic test. They said they have to remove the front door and that will cost $700.

But here is the catch: if I wish to buy the GMPP warranty I have to spend $300 for an inspection and have to wait 60 days to file a claim, but it would not cover the speaker and ajar light since they were pre-existing conditions. I understand that but $300 for an inspection? But wait, there is one more rip-off tactic, suddenly I need front brakes, another $400 and tire rotation which I did in February.

The history of this Malibu started badly:
    --One week after purchase the AC compressor failed--replaced under warranty.
    --Last year resurfaced rotors for uneven wear, under warranty
    --Last November, entire power steering mechanicals were replaced under warranty

Other than the above the Malibu has performed well but I am very worried that this might be the beginning of major future problems and that perhaps I should dump the Malibu and move unto something more bullet proof.

• starrmalibustarrmalibu Member Posts: 11
    I have had similar problems with the car- but not with the dealer. I bought a certified used Malibu with 40K on in March of 2010. late last year I had all kinds of weird things happen. The horn didn't work, the windshield wipers would not turn off, all kinds of strange things that happened at the same time. Some kind of electronic gizmo was messed up and they fixed it all. At first they could not find the source and they had to pay for me to rent a car. In early March of this year the windshield wipers again would not shut off (this time nothing woudl stop them, even shutting off the car. Only opening my door would stop them. Then my drivers side door would sometimes not open with the "clicker" or the door "unlock' button. It would only unlock if I manually opened the door lock button (pulled it up the old fashioned way. I was busy so took it in about two weeks later. They told me 1) they could not replicate the problems and 2) I was out of that kind of warantee. I said I had a 100,000 warantee, this was a certified used car. (I had never bought a used car before. I bought inexpensive new cars instead, up til now. I told them no one had told me that some things were not covered til 100K and I was very upset. Had I known, I would have taken it in immediately. The man who picked me up to take me back to the dealer told me to speak to my salesman. He said that they would cover it out of good will, but I'd have to take it in again so they would have time to get the problem to replicate itself. i couldnt' understand what was going on, as it always happened 9 times out of then the door locks were not working at all on the drivers side. the windshield wiper thing happened occasionally only. I brought the car in on Thursday and again they said they could not replicate the problem. I told them they better replicate it, as I have about 10 witnesses to the problem and I want it fixed. When my friend drove me to pick up the car- the tune was different. They now could not get the locks to work properly either. And though the saleman was not there to get them to cover the cost, the service manager said they would cover the whole cost out of goodwill, since the car was just a few miles out of that warantee. They have now ordered the part. Now the stupid windshield wiper thing they have not seen yet. Unfortunately it never happens when I can conveniently get to the dealership. Maybe you need to threaten to call Chevrolet about your problems. My dealership never said they'd charge me for diagnosis of this. I'd say your calling Chevy and complaining about the dealership. Good luck!
    Sorry I took so long to reply

The alignment issue goes back to day 1. After this last service, parts replacement, and alignment it does finally seem improved. I have filed away the service ticket with the alignment sheet in a safe place that I have not yet located so I cannot share the details yet.

I had my son drive the Malibu this week. He confirmed that he felt some side to side wandering but not real bad.

Tire wear is normal. I had a local mechanic check tires to get an opinion on their condition. Mechanic said they looked good. She was surprised actually as she expected abnormal tire wear based on what I told her, but did not find any. I take all of my cars to this shop after the warranty expires so I trust them.

I still have the original Goodyear tires at nearly 30k miles. I will keep evaluating the handling hoping it is now fixed so I can avoid a new car purchase. Thanks
    bwia,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Can you please email me your VIN?
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    starrmalibu,
    I am glad to hear most of your problems were resolved. It is nice to hear that you have such a good relationship with your dealer. If you have any questions comments or concerns please feel free to contact me.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    edited April 2011
    Christina,

Thanks for your offer of help but the door ajar light and stereo were fixed under warranty, although it still cost me $323 for an "unscheduled" 30K maintenance service.

And when I thought the worst was over up comes yet another problem. Leaking transmission fluid. Dealer says new lines were ordered but were damaged in packaging. This will require yet another trip back to the dealer but thank goodness this is covered under warranty.
    I've owned GM products (Oldsmobile) in the past but never had so many problems. With the new 2013 Malibu on the horizon I hope GM gets its act together and begin producing better quality products as I know they can.
    bwia,
    Thanks for the update. If you need anything feel free to contact me.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • ohc6sprintohc6sprint Member Posts: 23
    Just replaced my original 225/50/18 Goodyear Eagles with B. F. Goodrich Advantage TA tires. I was satisfied with the Goodyears on my 2008 Saturn Aura, they lasted 32,000 miles and had 3/32 tread left. The Goodrich tires seem to ride smoother, but that may be due to fresher or more supple rubber. They are T rated, 650 treadwear rating, 75,000 mile warranty and they were made in the USA.

I couldn't pass up the deal, Sam's Club had them for $105 each which includes road hazard, free rotations and balancing. Installation was free, but that offer ended in April. Thats $453 out the door with 7% tax and $1 disposal fee per tire.
  • thomnsendythomnsendy Member Posts: 1
    Oh dear, we just purchased an 08 Malibu to replace our 06 Ford F150 Lariat crewcab due to fuel consumption. Now we must figure on buying tires on a regular basis. Our Lariat had 46400 miles on original tires with good tread still remaining. Have we made a horrible trade? The government will surely overlook this issue since they own GM and gets away with not supporting working Americans.
  • lhlavenkalhlavenka Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2008 with 57000 miles on the original tires. Don't remember what they are just whatever came from the factory. I do watch the TP. We live in the hills of Arkansas so the tires get a workout on the twisty turnies of the Ozarks. Still good tread.
    My new Malibu LT1 I just bought Monday has Firestone 710's on it -They seem to be fine - quiet and ride ok. I have had them before on other new cars. They have a 560 rating so they should wear well. I have had mixed results with Michelins. My Michelins on my Cadillac DeVille were fine and I replaced them with the same tires. The ones on my Odyssey were terrible -lots of blowouts, air loss etc and crappy mileage. I usually stick with original equipment tires and replace them with the same tires but I put Bridgestones on the Odyssey and my problems went away. Just because it say Michelin doesn't mean that it is good.
  • paul1018paul1018 Member Posts: 1
    I am having trouble with my 2009 malibu's transmission. At end of March 2011 I had to have a NEW transmission installed because the old one was BAD at 35,850 miles!! Well NOW it is doing the same thing. I was wondering if any one else is having the same issues.
  • gonogogonogo Member Posts: 879
    4 or 6 speed.
    Hi Paul1018:

I purchased a new 2010 Chevrolet 2.4 / 6 speed Malibu in June 2010. This vehicle operated "ok," but since it turned 12,500 miles the engine "surges" going up hill from a dead stop, and "surges" going up a hill on the highway at a steady 55MPH.

I have replaced the Goodyear tires with Michelin tires because the original equipment tires did not hold air between oil and filter changes. (I have the oil & filter changed every 2,500 miles at the dealer.)

While I thought that I had purchased a "high quality vehicle," (equal to a Honda Accord), I now feel that I have made a "BIG MISTAKE" with this purchase!------ There is no mechanical quality in a Chevrolet Malibu! ----- It is a poor copy of a Honda Accord, and the proof is all over the "net"! Based on these postings, and I do not believe that GM cares about correcting the problem!

The only way that I can break 30mpg, is by driving the vehicle at 50mph. ----- Once I travel at a posted highway speed of 65mph, the "miles per gallon drops down to 27mpg at best! ---- (I have a 2007 Toyota Camry XLE V6 that can easily get 30mpg at 60mph.)

The "surging problem" is all over the "net!" --- Some vehicles have been fixed by replacing the Mass Air Flow Sensor, some by replacing a fuel injector, some by replacing an ignition coil, some by re-programing the 6 speed automatic transmission, some by replacing the transmission, --- but MOST of the vehicles with this "surging issue," have been declared by General Motors and their Dealers to be "operating as designed,"---- and they say that there is nothing that can be done for the surging problem! ------ (My vehicle DID NOT have this problem until it reached 12,500 miles, so as such, something has changed with this vehicle!) ------ I will NOT accept that "explanation" from GM or the selling dealer! ------ I want my vehicle to operate in the same fashion that it operated when I took delivery. ----- Since 12,500 miles the engine seems to be laboring on the highway. ---- When starting from a traffic light, the engine seems to be laboring in first gear, (like "letting out a manual clutch" too quickly in first gear from a dead stop!) ----- The engine feels like it is not getting enough fuel and / or spark advance as it pulls away from a traffic light. ---- The 2.4 IS NOT a happy engine in the Malibu body!

This vehicle will be brought into the selling dealer this week, so that they can do a "work-up" on this issue. I will give them two (2) chances to correct this issue. If they cannot make this vehicle perform AS DELIVERED, I will consider hiring an attorney to invoke the New Jersey Lemon Law.

This "surging" issue becomes more noticeable when the ambient temperature is high! (I DID NOT HAVE THIS ISSUE DURING THE WINTER MONTHS!)

Best regards. ----- Dwayne :lemon: :confuse: :mad: :shades:
    Good Morning All:

UP-DATE ON MY 2010 MALIBU SURGING ISSUE!

My vehicle is now in the hands of the selling dealer. ---- They plan on running some tests on the vehicle and it's computer control system. ---- I have NO faith in this process. ----- It is all over the "net" that both the dealers and General Motors are denying that a problem exists with these vehicles, leaving the owner to live with the problem. ------ I hope that the dealer is able to find the cause of the problem, and return the vehicle to its proper operation, --- but based on what is being posted on the "net," I am not counting on a "positive result" to this service experience! ----- I have already contacted my attorney, and he is searching for a "Lemon Law Attorney" so that I can plan my next course of action. ------- When I pick up the vehicle, (after the repair), I will be sure to get a copy of the "repair order!" ----- I wish I had read about this problem prior to making this purchase! -------- A friend of mine just turn in his 2009 four cylinder Chevrolet Malibu five (5) months early on his lease because of this issue. He told me that he could no longer drive this vehicle safely on the highway with this performance problem! ----- He leased a new Buick! --- (I will not take the financial hit that my friend took!) ---- I plan on holding both General Motors and the selling dealer to the terms of both the "New Vehicle" and the "Extended Warranty!" ----- As a consumer, I have the right to ride in a safe vehicle! ----- (If this vehicle DID NOT have this ISSUE when it was delivered, it should not have this issue at 12,500 miles!) Best regards. ---- Dwayne :sick: :mad: :lemon: ;)
    Hi All:

GOOD NEWS, GOOD NEWS, GOOD NEWS, GOOD NEWS, GOOD NEWS!

I picked up my 2010 Chevrolet 4 cylinder LTZ Malibu from the dealer, and the vehicle NOW runs as good as a Honda Accord! ----- There is a "software up-date" from GM for the issue that I described in the above postings. ---- If your Malibu is surging bring your car back to the dealer, and get the new software. ---- Special thanks goes to the dealer, and their outstanding service people for spending time with this vehicle to make it right. ------ After driving it on the highway, I cannot believe that it is the same car! ------- Based on the "on-board mileage computer" I am now getting 30+ mpg at 60mph. Prior to this new software, I was lucky to get 27 mpg at 60 mph! ------ TAKE YOUR CAR BACK TO THE DEALER FOR THE UP-DATE! ----- Now, I will keep my Malibu! ------ Best regards to all! ----- (I cancelled my appointment with the Lemon Law Attorney!) ------ Dwayne :shades: ;):)
    djm2,
    I am glad to hear that everything was taken care of and resolved for you! I hope you have a great weekend! If you have any other questions comments or concerns please feel free to email me directly!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    Good Morning Christina:

Kindly be advised that I sent you a "private E-mail" about this operational issue. ------------ Please respond at your earliest convenience.

Best regards.

Dwayne :shades: ;):)
    Just out of curiosity I wonder what the difference is between red jewel tintcoat and regular non extra cost metallic paint. It appears that the Cadillac offers the same Red Jewel Tintcoat -at least it looks identical and is called the same thing. Does anyone know what makes it more expensive?