Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008-2009 Chevrolet Malibu

carguytxcarguytx Member Posts: 2
I saw this out on leftlane news. Spy shots with very little camo of the new 2008 Malibu. There is discussion that it will launch early part of next year.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/08/01/spied-2008-chevrolet-malibu-in-detail/

Comments

• rvothrvoth Member Posts: 147
    It looks like the new civic , long curved lines with a short truck lid/ 07 camry or mercedes m500 sedan. It's lost it's bold body feel. Very long roof line like dodge is using in there vehicles. Someone a GM'S design department is copying the import design pattern. Too bad :confuse:
    It looks very much like the new saturn aura. Same 3.6 v-6 DOHC engine, wheel base 114inch, body lines. Aren't they built in the same plant at Fairfax Kansas city. They are going to use a six speed transmission matched with 255 hp they are using in the cadillac cts. Finally something very competitive to do battle with the accord and camry.

Only a four year run on the certain Malibu before GM has redesigned the car, that has to be a record. Finally GM is trying to keep up with current with consumer demands for their cars instead of just hammering out of date cars like the previous Malibu. I'm truly amazed at GM's effort to stay updated with current automotive trends :surprise: .
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    The 3.6 sounds like an optional high-power engine. I wonder what the gas mileage will be like and if the standard engine will be be so inadequate (crude 4 cylinder with 4-speed automatic etc.) that you feel compelled to upgrade to the 3.6?
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    If they put in the echotec 4 cylinder it's not a crude engine. However they need to add the 6-speed automatic to really make it efficient. Due to the limited availability of the 6-speed, I'm sure the 4-speed will be the base tranny for at least a few years. I hope i'm wrong. I can't wait to see interior photo's of this new car. :)

Rocky
    On GM site it posts the CTS cadillac 3.6 liter with the six speed trans gets 21 city,36 hwy and 26 combined. Compared with 07 malibu gets 26/42/31 combined MPG. So they are giving up mileage for horsepower. Mileage is very similar to the 3.9 liter v-6 in the SS Malibu. :)
    Unless that's Canadian mileage, it doesn't make sense.
    The Saturn Aura gets pretty mediocre mileage with that same drive train. Worse than an Impala with standard engine and 4-speed automatic.
    You shouldn't need to be forced to take the 4 cylinder 2008 Malibu if you want over 30 MPG highway on regular gas and US calibrated gallons when an Impala does better than that.
    Yes that's Canadian mileage from GM CANADA website. ;)
    Oh ya , us Canadians get better mpg because an Imperial gallon is 4.54 liters compared to 3.79 liter for an American gallon. So i go farther on a gallon of fuel.

A 4 cylinder 2008 malibu would be a dog on power, gutless.Yes the 3.6 liter burns regular gas not premium! Check out what Honda 4 cylinder and V-6 engines get for mileage about the same as the 3.6 liter GM.
  • groovypippingroovypippin Member Posts: 264
    GM has released a shot of the new Malibu's interior ahead of the NAIAS next month.

link title

Discuss
    Looks OK. The photo is a bad angle and not in a color most people are going to get (tan or gray).
  • carguytxcarguytx Member Posts: 2
    It depends on which 4 cylinder as to whether it will be a dog. If its the 2.4 Ecotec at around 170hp, that should make for a better experience. GM must offer a credible 4 cylinder engine package to appease budget conscious shoppers that will often turn to the Japanese offerings. Toyota and Honda 4 cylinders dont make you feel that you stepped down. Their engines are smooth and refined. There is no reason that GM can't deliver a great 4 cylinder experience. They have the know-how, just need to do it. ;)
    The 170HP 4 cylinder needs premium gas to run properly. The lower 4 cylinder is too underpowered and crude for this size and class of car and the 3.6 liter engine gets worse fuel economy than a base Impala.
    If there isn't a more economical V6 than the 3.6 available, it will be pretty bad.
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    It actually looks better than the Saturn Auras, and doesn't have the Aura's chrome trim (which fits badly and looks cheap in the Auras I've seen).

Yet a lot of the interior (and exterior windows, etc.) feel like a clone of the Aura - badge engineering lives again!
  • 14871487 Member Posts: 2,407
    "M must offer a credible 4 cylinder engine package to appease budget conscious shoppers that will often turn to the Japanese offerings. Toyota and Honda 4 cylinders dont make you feel that you stepped down. Their engines are smooth and refined."

Neither of GM's ecotecs is unrefined. The ecotec was revised when the Cobalt came out in 2004 to run more quietly and by all reports the measures were effective. The Malibu will have the 2.4L that is currently in the G6 making 169hp. The real question is whether or not it will be offered with a 6 speed auto. I would guess it wont be. I am also doubting that the 3.6L will be the uplevel engine due to production contraints. I would think the 3.9L will be coupled with a 6 speed auto.

I like that interior picture a lot. It looks very good.
    Well, if the 4 cylinder was really smooth, ran on regular, they put in loads of sound insulation and it had a 6-speed automatic, it would be something to consider and would be extremely competitive with decent performance, great gas mileage and a quiet highway ride.
    I'm sure it won't happen. They don't have a 5-speed automatic available and they won't use a 6-speed, so that leaves little choice.
    Expect a buzzy 4 cylinder with a cheap 4-speed automatic since they will try to make it a price-leader that most people will find unacceptable and want to upgrade from.
    Its obvious you are clueless in terms of the ecotec. It is not loud or thrashy or anything else like that. It is refined and the press acknowldges it's one of the better four cylinders on the market. Why would the engine get unrefined for the Malibu if it's refined in the Cobalt and G6? That makes no sense. As for mileage, the G6 gest 23/23 with a 4 speed auto so that is likely what you can expect from the 2008 Malibu. Every epsilon based car has a quiet ride and this one will be no exception. Have you bothered to read any reviews of the Aura? The Malibu will be very similar except for styling and powertrain.
  • mr_botsmr_bots Member Posts: 236
    From spy shots it looks like an Aura with a different front clip, rear clip, and interior. For engines copying the Aura's lineup doesn't sound unbelievable, 2.4 Ecotec base (not a bad engine, but wants premium fuel in it's other applications), 3.5 VVT that's currently in the 07 Malibu as the mid-level engine, and the 3.6 as the top option (if only they could get it up to the 275hp it has in the Lambdas to beat the Camry's V6). Also it doesn't seem to unlikely that the 6-speed will replace the current 4-speed, for example the 08 Vue will have the 6-speed mated to all of it's engines, including the 2.4 Ecotec.
    The ecotec 4 is a Wards top 10, I guess he missed that also. ;)

Rocky
    Time will tell, but I suspect that the top Malibu will have a 6 speed and the 3.9L engine due to production constraints. If that happens, expect a 275hp 3.6 to power the SS. I just really doubt the Malibu is going to have the 3.6 in non-SS form partially because there arent many application for the 3.9 Engine and its a new engine. Right now it's only used in the Impala, Malibu SS, minivans and a small percentage of G6 models.
    The 3.9 as large as it is should be putting out at least 265 hp. IMHO. I honestly am not much of a fan of the 3.9 or 3.5 and honestly don't understand why GM, even built them ?

The ecotec 4 and 3.6 fit the bills just fine. The ecotec can be supercharged, turbocharged, or even as I read Twin-turbocharged, and is a great engine. IMHO, GM needs to make less engines and concentrate on making the ones they like class leading powertrains. ;)

Rocky
  • dodgeman07dodgeman07 Member Posts: 574
    I've owned an '04 Malibu LT V-6 (3.5) for a year and a half and am happy with it's performance (200HP) and mileage (EPA 23/32), that I do achieve. The 4-speed automatic does need one more cog for long distance interstate highway driving (over 70MPH), but is fine up to about 75MPH.
    I would expect GM to offer the 3.6L w/6-speed auto only at the top end (LTZ & SS) and maybe not until '09. I'd look for the ecotec 4, 3.5 & 3.9 V-6s from the Impala with the 4-speed auto in '08.
    With the Aura XE's price established, look for '08 Malibu 4 cylinder models under $19K and the V-6's starting just over $20K. I am looking forward to this car as my '04 has been trouble free and the epsilon chassis is rock solid! :)
  • ricardoheadricardohead Member Posts: 48
    You guys see this? Looks awesome...

Early look: 2008 Chevrolet Malibu interior revealed

The OHV motors exist because they get decent performance for their displacements and GM does not have enough capacity to build 3.6 V6s for all their passenger cars. On top of that the OHV V6s are cheap to make and thus the majority of GM's midsize cars are sold with V6s instead of fours like the Import competition. GM knows the average Impala owner doesn't care about OHV vs DOHC engines and thus the 3.5 and 3.9 are perfect for that car.

If GM makes the 3.6 available in the Malibu, it will only be in the top model and the 3.5 V6 will be available. It's what they are doing with the 2008 Vue and what Chrysler is doing with the Sebring. You can bet on seeing the 3.5L in the Malibu. No OHV motor is going to have the same specific output of a DOHC motor so it's silly to say the 3.9 should be making 265hp based on it's size. The 3800 only makes 200hp so the 3.9L is actually doing pretty good for an OHV engine.
    It had been discussed earlier when that was a new picture.
  • ricardoheadricardohead Member Posts: 48
    Next time I'll try not to be helpful. Sorry to have bugged you guys.
    Nice pic - reminds me a lot of the Aura. Don't let the naysayers bother you. :)
    It's very similar to the Aura but slightly better IMHO. The extra curves give it a little more character.
    I'm not "naysaying." The picture had been posted earlier and not that far back. Maybe just a page or so back and the poster didn't bother looking.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    OK... but it is not THAT big a deal to see it again. Thanks for taking the time to post it, ricardohead.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• beedublubeedublu Member Posts: 236
    Nice...and I really, really, REALLY hope they offer it in these darker color combinations, instead of the crappy gray (that I have in my 04) that constantly looks dirty no matter how hard I try to keep it clean. ;)
    If you read the press release about the 2008 Malibu I believe it states there will at least three or four different color combinations for the interior including the one shown. You will have more options than just grey.
    GM has released a front end pic of the Malibu. There is another full view pic on various sites like leftlanenews.com. Looks very good, kind of like a smaller Lucerne but more aggressive.
    At least it "looks" better than the current Malibu appearance-wise.
    GM has a good theme going here. Maybe the next gen Pontiac G6 will draw some of Aura & '08 Malibu styling cues. I'm really looking forward to seeing the new Malibu in person.
    I wonder what are the chances that stability control will be available as an option the first year and if it will have any unique features for the class available such as heated washer fluid?
    Even Bluetooth. Bluetooth costs have dropped low enough that it isn't only for high-end cars anymore. Even the new Nissan Sentra has it available. GM and Ford do seem very slow to adopt Bluetooth in any of their vehicles though, so I won't expect it.
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    GM probably will not add bluetooth as long as they have Onstar......the cell system with On Star is now compatible with the verizon network.....and you can simply share your minutes with your verizon phone and the OnStar line together
    The new photos from the front looks like the G35 ,especial how the hood curves in the front,no sharp corners. Sweet look GM ,please have stability control as an option.
  • shado4shado4 Member Posts: 287
    GM probably will not add bluetooth as long as they have Onstar......the cell system with On Star is now compatible with the verizon network.....and you can simply share your minutes with your verizon phone and the OnStar line together

What if you don't have a Verizon phone? The beauty of Bluetooth is that it is network independent. Any Bluetooth equipped phone can work with any Bluetooth equipped car.

If GM does not offer Bluetooth it simply shows how shortsighted and misguided they really are. I bet GM's affiliation with OnStar will also prevent the Malibu from being offered with a built-in satellite navigation system that is optional on most of the competitors, instead relying on a "turn-by-turn" mapless voice guidance system that OnStar is now promoting. :(
    dont disagree with you...you can get built in navigation systems on some GM cars now... that isnt tied to OnStar.......
    you can get built in navigation systems on some GM cars now... that isn't tied to OnStar.......

I know. Quite frankly, I'm shocked that the Silverado/Sierra pickup trucks can be ordered with a built in navigation system.

My concern is that GM will prevent this technology from trickling down to their bread-and-butter passenger car offerings. You can get satellite navigation in a Honda Civic and Mazda3, but not in a Chevy Cobalt. Satnav is available in the Accord, Camry, Altima, and Mazda6, but not yet in the Malibu. I'm hoping GM will change this, but I highly doubt it.
    I dont think this car will have bluetooth and I fail to see why that is a big deal. First of all not everyone has a bluetooth phone, secondly many people that do have one use their wireless headsets whethere they are walking or driving so I dont see the big advantage of using your car as a phone.

I wish GM would offer nav in more cars, but the bottom line is most midsize sedans are not sold with nav. I rarely see an Accord or Camry with navigation. Most people arent willing to shell out $2k for a nav system, especially with aftermarket options being so much cheaper. You are basically paying that money so you can have a nice 6.5" screen in your car because the average driver isnt going to need the mapping function more than a few times a year. GM isnt losing many sales by not offering nav just as Honda and Toyota arent getting sales because they offer it.

I'm sure this car will have stability. It may even be standard because my understanding is that the '08 Aura will have it standard. Remember, all GM vehicles will have it standard by 2010 MY.
    I dont think this car will have bluetooth and I fail to see why that is a big deal.

Bluetooth is a big deal because it could represent yet another piece of newer technology offered by GM's competitors that isn't available on a mainstream GM vehicle. What's so hard to understand about perception and image? What harm is it for GM to at least make these technologies optional in their car lines. Satellite navigation has been developed for the new Silverado, so it already exists in the parts bin.

If you don't want Bluetooth or sat nav, don't buy it. But don't let GM force the issue by not even allowing these items to be available for people who want them. It just strengthens the image that GM is behind the times and is offering vehicles that are 2-3 years behind the competition.
    I would argue that most people buying a GM car..sans cadillac probably arent concerned about bluetooth or nav compatiable cars to begin with....I would say you average chevy or pontiac buyer isnt worried long cell phone conversations to conduct personal or business matters....but would rather have a quality car at a fair price....just my 2 cents
    Haven't you heard? The average Chevy or Pontiac buyer is on the verge of extinction. The imports are coming on strong in the mid-size sedan category and GM is still playing catch-up.

The 2008 Malibu finally fixes the styling disaster of the current car, yet it would seem to lag woefully behind the competition when it comes to pushing the technology envelope. The average Chevy or Pontiac buyer is a dying breed, so how can you attract new buyers if you are not competitive?

Sorry for the rant, but reading articles about Toyota overtaking Ford in sales by January to become No. 2 automaker in the country should put the fear of God in GM's management. GM needs to be aggressive and not content to continue to lose market share. We need to see "WOW!" from GM, not "Oh look, it's a new Malibu. Yawn."
    but you need to look across the product line for GM as well, not just the new malibu......pontiac G6 and Solstice (pontiac as almost completely revamped their entire line), Chevy Silverado, Tahoe, HHR, Buick Enclave and the Lacrosse/Lucerne, and the Saturn Sky and Aura....are all turning heads and making things interesting in the domestic market....

you look at the mid size category and that has always been Camry and Accord territory.......consumer reports just pointed out that Ford/LM fusion/milan did better in their quality survey than those two models

"In its newly released 2006 Annual Car Reliability Survey, Consumer Reports discovered that the Fusion and Milan actually scored higher in predicted reliability than the Honda Accord V6 and Toyota Camry V6. The Zephyr also did will in the upscale cars category, scoring slightly behind the Lexus ES350. Other domestic models did well too, including the Buick Lucerne and Cadillac DTS, both of which were above average in predicted reliability. "

yes the Hondas and Toyotas of the world still have a lead...but its not as big as it once was..nor is their quality....or is it that GM and the other domestic auto makers are finally catching up.....GMs biggest problem is perception and trying to win back buyers....from the early 80s and 90s......when their products and reliability were certainly in question......

What I would like to see GM do..make chevy the everyday family brand, Pontiac....the muscle car brand..all RWD....Buick..fold into the Cadillac brand for the upscale buyer, and Saturn......make it the small car division....GMC...the truck division...wonder what they would say to that...

no rant...just spirited debate....
    You are totally clueless in regards to GM's products or the potential "extinction" of it's buyers. Chevy is the #1 selling brand (not Toyota) so it is silly to say they are running out of buyers. Maybe you could say that about Mitsubishi or VW, but not Chevy. You can twist that fact any way you please but there is no getting around Chevy being #1.

To say that the Malibu is woefully behind the competition becaue it doesnt offer ONE feature that is OPTIONAL on SOME of its competitors is very simplistic. How many of the Malibu's competitors have Onstar? People like you talk about GM being behind on technology but fail to mention technology that GM vehicles offer. Bluetooth is "critical" to you and I assume you will dismiss Onstar as a gimmick that you have no use for. Typical mentality of a GM basher. Bluetooth is a handy, single function feature that a certain segment of the population wants. Few people are going to make their car buying decision based on this. Any person who has been buying Toyotas for 20 years and has not faith in domestic vehicles is not going to run to the Chevy dealer just because a Malibu has bluetooth. It's going to take a lot more than that. Besides, as I already noted most import sedans in this price range do not have this feature because its usually bundled with other expensive options like navigation.

If I had to chose between Onstar and bluetooth, I would take Onstar any day. Besides, I think it's a little ealry to be calling the Malibu low tech when we havent even seen the specs yet. Considering its going to have a 6 speed auto, Onstar, stability control, remote start, XM radio, etc. I'm not sure I would deem it behind the times just yet. Maybe if you actually wait until you know something about the car you will be able to do more than "yawn" at the thought of the new Malibu. Interestingly enough "yawn" is just what comes to my mind when I think of cars like the Accord, Camry and Sonata.
    You are totally clueless in regards to GM's products or the potential "extinction" of it's buyers. Chevy is the #1 selling brand (not Toyota) so it is silly to say they are running out of buyers. Maybe you could say that about Mitsubishi or VW, but not Chevy. You can twist that fact any way you please but there is no getting around Chevy being #1.

OK, maybe extinction is too harsh. But there is no denying the fact that sales for the Chevrolet division are down 8.9% year to date compared to last year, while sales for the Toyota division are up 13.4% for the same time period. Why can't Chevrolet grow? Why is GM losing ground to the imports?

To say that the Malibu is woefully behind the competition because it doesn't offer ONE feature that is OPTIONAL on SOME of its competitors is very simplistic.

I never said it was because of ONE feature. It is the ongoing perception that GM is not competitive. How many import sellers offer an old-tech pushrod V6 in their mainstream mid-size sedan today? None that I can think of. Why is GM still building 4-speed automatics when its competitors are selling 5-speed autos or CVT transmissions? Why can't you get satellite navigation in a Malibu today when you can in an Accord/Camry/Altima/Mazda6? Want dual-zone automatic climate control in a G6 or Malibu? Nope, can't have it. But you can get it in several of the import sedans. Are you getting a clue as to why GM is losing sales and the imports are gaining?

Any person who has been buying Toyotas for 20 years and has not faith in domestic vehicles is not going to run to the Chevy dealer just because a Malibu has bluetooth. It's going to take a lot more than that. Besides, as I already noted most import sedans in this price range do not have this feature because its usually bundled with other expensive options like navigation.

You may want to tell Nissan that they are not allowed to offer Bluetooth in the Sentra and Versa, because they are doing it now. Also, Bluetooth is available in the 2007 Altima without getting satellite navigation. Last I checked, the Versa was Nissan's entry-level offering. Imagine being able to get Bluetooth in the Cobalt. Never mind, it's GM we are talking about.

See where I'm going with this? I'm not a GM basher, I want them to succeed. Yes, offering OnStar and remote start is a great way to differentiate GM from other car makers. But GM also needs to be competitive in other areas as well. I said I liked the styling of the 2008 Malibu...it's WAY better than the current offering. But it makes the current Malibu look so much more outdated. The problem is GM will be selling the current Malibu for at least another 6 months. How many more sales will be lost because of this?
    It should be available on more cars. It has become cheap enough now that some of their low-end "free" phones that cell providers give away with a contract now have the Bluetooth feature.
    OnStar is not a substitute if you have to sign up for Verizon serice plus also pay the OnStar monthly fee.
    The fact that it is showing up on cars as low-end as the Versa and Sentra prove this point.
  • savethelandsavetheland Member Posts: 671
    <<But it makes the current Malibu look so much more outdated. The problem is GM will be selling the current Malibu for at least another 6 months. How many more sales will be lost because of this? >>

But most of them go to fleets anyway or at discount price so I do not see problem here.

The real problem is will they offer numb electric steering and outdated powertrain in new Malubi?
  • npgmbrnpgmbr Member Posts: 248
    Is stability control really that big a deal in a sedan? Personally I don't think so. Never in any of the 3 autos that I've owned (with the exception of my Tracker) have I had a fear of rollingover. I mean what are the true chances of rolling over in a sedan?......granted your chances of that happening are considerably higher in a Van or SUV. But it all depends on how you react in a dangerous situation. People prone to jerk the wheel to avoid hitting something should not purchase a Van or SUV.
  • npgmbrnpgmbr Member Posts: 248
    I have to agree with you there. GMs problem is that its loosing customers but it still outsells Toyota and Honda (for now). I always thought that the Cobalt didn't sell well because I don't see many of them on the road here in Metro DC. But on a Christmas road trip to Cannonsburg, PA I could not belive how many Cobalts I saw on the 4hour trip up and at Cannonsburg. I was truly surprised at how many I saw and wondered if they sold that well in other parts of the country. Then I realized that I wouldn't see many Cobalts in Metro DC or LA, Miami or NYC. The people in these parts of the country buy Caddy's, Beamers, Infinitis, Acuras, and so on.