Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008-2009 Chevrolet Malibu

Comments

• 14871487 Member Posts: 2,407
    I'm not sure why people from the Left Coast have trouble understanding that the entire country doesn't share their automotive tastes. Its been well documented that people out there dont like American cars and many models with domestic nameplates are not frequently seen out there outside of the airport rental lots. Believe it or not many retail customers buy the Malibu and Impala. I see Malibus every single day here and most are not from Enterprise. It makes perfect sense to name this car Malibu, why would you change the name just because the redesigned Malibu is much better? GM did this with the G6 and most people jumped all over them for dumping the Grand Am name. Now some people are saying name changes are good. They cant win.
  • m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    Well I suppose it is hard to see what people see as good in the current Malibu design if you are from the Left Coast, as I am. Interior and exterior is a turn off. The car is blander than bland. Perhaps sells in the Mid-West. The Malibu name belongs on a car as exciting as a '68 SS, and not on some econo box. Since they let the name go, perhaps it is, or should I say was, time to retire the name.

As for the G6 name, just what does it stand for? Oh, what does it matter. The Grand Am was not a bad looking little car. I guess they want to change the name along with the removal of all that tupperware on the sides of the Pontiacs. Personally, I never thought they run down the looks of the Grand Am all that much. Perhaps there are big plans for a new RWD GrandAm one fine day? The RWD Impala should be a hit. Current Impala looks OK inside and out, yet seems to have lost its individuality. Overall, a good decision though to add changes needed to pull out another couple of years of sales for the aging model. Current is pleasing, not bold, which is fine for the time. Hope the new RWD has some interesting styling and some hints of heritage as well.
    -Loren
  • jntjnt Member Posts: 316
    GM or any car maker can change the names of their cars as many times as they want. The bottom line is the vehicle has to be worth something to the customers before they buy it, name is insignificant (except "LaCross" or in Canada Quebec , or "Nova" in Mexico).

Remember the previous generation Nissan Altima or Hyundai Sonata: these were undersized, underpowered vehicles when compared to their competitors at the time. Fast forwarding to the current generation, we are seeing big jump in sales volume on each since they are substantially bigger, more powerful and similar economy and price.

And who would have thought a vehicle with KIA (Kill in Action) badge could sell well in this country?

jt
  • readerreaderreaderreader Member Posts: 253
    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

• rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    No demand, no surprise. Why add it?

iluv, that's a fact. You also need to remember the Malibu, is a appliance and is suppose to go head to head with the camcords. The 4-cylinder ECOTEC is available on any trim package which will help sales. Expect a 2-mode hybrid package to also be available in the near future. Their is more demand then supply for the hybrid machines. BMW, DCX, also is back ordered.

If you must have a manual inexpensive car the G6 is about the only option right now from GM. I guess I'm forgetting about the Sky/Soltice. I honestly see that the manual is slowly but surely getting replaced by these popular manumatics with paddle shifters. The EVO-X is even getting a 6-speed manumatic with paddle shifters but the stick is still available. I read somwhere that 92% of the buying public selects automatics in their car. Those figures on a non-sports sedan like the Malibu keep the stick option off the list because of costs. ;)

I like you prefer a manual but you and I are obviously in the minority. :(

Rocky
    Loren,

what's so bland? about the car above that "readerreader" posted ???? I like it alot. The 2-tone leather looks great. :)

Rocky

P.S.

readerreader, thanx for the pics pal. :shades:
  • readerreaderreaderreader Member Posts: 253

I really like it readerreader :)

What do you think about her pal ????

Rocky
    Its hard for me to see how the Malibu was any worse than the 2002-2006 Camry. I dont think either car was great but the Malibu was certainly competitive in most regards to the old camry. OF course the new camry is much better than the Malibu as it should be.

With all due respect, a lot of car buyers today really arent familiar with the "good ol days" of RWD Malibus and Novas and whatever else existed. To People 30 and under the Malibu is a FWD family car and nothing more. That was a differnt era and contrary to popular belief those old cars from GM's heydey werent all that great, they just happened to have big engines and RWD.

G6 stands for 6th generation Grand Am.
    I was referring to the current Malibu. The New and Improved Malibu does look better. Problem now is that the name ran downhill for too long. Yes, I suppose it is not a problem for some, and is not a major issue, but it is the fact.
    -Loren
    Are you sure they were not that great? GM was at its highest point for style between 60's and earliest 70's. Body by Fisher cars had the fine interior and exteriors. Cars like the Cutlass Supreme were voted most reliable by mechanics. It was latter on when things fell apart at GM. It is great that a Malibu may once again capture the eye. It was, at one great time in auto history, a very stylish and desirable car. What it became was more a rental car, as in one parked in driveway while your Accord or Camry was in for repairs/body work. As for RWD, it is so sad that the choices are so few - so expensive. The FWD Malibu does look like a good package though, with a bit more flare than the Aura class of G6. Lots of G6 based cars these days, did I miss any others? I take it the Monte Carlo is not continuing on.

Why is a Pontiac Cobalt a G5?
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    Let the next Impala take on the potential RWD drivers, I personally like FWD.

I thought the same thing about the name "G5", but Wikipedia does mention that the G6 is homage to the Grand Am (couldn't remember that the name was that old, thought that the third gen. mid-80's car was the first). Guess they expanded the G-series names out to G5 and G8 after making the original decision on the Grand Am successor.

I have sat in and ridden as a passenger in a G6. Very nice looking car, much nicer than the Malibu. However, in every day use I don't think it would be nearly as satisfactory. My Malibu Maxx may be a bit ungainly but it's a car that's worn very well. So far I've had 40+ thousand miles of incident free driving. I'm sorry that the new platform will drop the hatch.
    I am sure they were not that great. To people of that era I suppose those cars were attractive but to me GM iron from the 60s and 70s is lame. And lets not get into reliability, fuel economy and handling. These were not strengths of american cars in that era. To me most GM cars from the 60s and 70s look about the same and few of the designs excite me. They are just larger, RWD versions of the current Malibu.

There are four epsilon cars in the US: 9-3, G6, Malibu and Aura. The vectra and Cadillac BLS exist in Europe.
  • savethelandsavetheland Member Posts: 671
    I think there is no meaning in G5, G6 and G8. They just try to mimic Audi. But of course it is far from Audi.

G6 looks good, both coupe and sedan. The problem is cheap looking interior and electric steering. But I heard they are switching to RWD in next generation of G6. I think you can do it and increase price making affordable BMW 3-series fighter. It will have zero competition from Toyota and Honda and even from Nissan.
    first of all, G6 does have a meaning. read my earlier post. Secondly, the G6's plastics are mostly soft touch just like those in imports. Thirdly, the G6 only has electric steering in the base model. V6s have regular steering just like the Aura. You are about two model years behind.
    :confuse: I think one of use is confused here. For reliability, GM was the better choice within that era. For power, style and handling, they were up there with the rest or better. The Malibu of that era was not an econo box trying to be a Japanese appliance car. And while on the subject, since some of the Japan makes are once again interesting for style, the appliance label is a bit harsh. Handling and looks seem to be as good or better than some American makes nowadays.

Malibu staying with FWD at this time does seem right. As long as they price it as a FWD car. Keep pricing low and HP high as in 3.6 V6 and people will go for the deal. Best Malibu in modern times.
    -Loren
    Really! They changed the steering for all V6 models. This is good news. Thanks for the update. The G6 coupe looks pretty good. Wonder how much less they cost than the Honda Coupe for a V6? At one time you needed to buy the GTP to be rid of electric assist steering. I assume they are all throttle-by-wire.
    -Loren
    Hydraulic steering was added to GT and base V6 model for 2007 model year. Malibu will offer electric steering on 4 banger only.
    Between the New Malibu, G6, Aura, Honda Accord,Altima, Sonata and Camry, which do you see as most appealing design? Do you think that the Buick line will fade away? I assume the Monte is gone by next year. As far as value, it seemed like a good buy, resale value aside. Wonder if it comes back as a RWD in a couple years, or will be gone for good?
    -Loren
  • ral1960ral1960 Member Posts: 74
    The first Grand Am came out in 1973 with a sportier interior and suspension than LeMans and a bigger center snout that was squeezably-soft. Available with 455 cu.V8, 350 4bl standard. A good car, but GM's build quality was taking a nose dive.

I agree about the hatch. Perhaps they'll do a real wagon (fat chance), because I need a little more trunk room and don't want a crossover or SUV. The size of the Equinox is fine, I just think that car is horrible to drive. The Chinese engine everyone complained about is the least of its problems.
    Malibu is the best out of the sedans you mentioned. The Aura is next followed by either the G6 or Altima. The accord is dead last.

The Monte Carlo will likely disappear when the W platform goes out of production in 2008. Perhaps they will bring a new version out in the future on the RWD platform. Buick isnt going anywhere as far as I know. A new Lacrossse will be built on the next generation midsize car platform and the Lucerne will be replaced by a RWD car or a new FWD car on a new platform.
  • bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,425
    I REALLY hate the cutline on the hood. It leaves so much inaccessible area under the sheet metal- good luck trying to change the headlight bulbs on it. And why does a midsize sedan have pull-type manual door locks in 2007?
  • lostwrenchlostwrench Member Posts: 288
    The old cars from GM were not all that great? Nonsense. I'm old enough to have driven and did drive those great 60's GM cars. My boss had a magnificent Firebird with 400 cubes under the hood. And what about that great Chevy 409? Two brothers down the street each had an Olds 4-4-2. Every car I owned in the 60's was GM and had at least a 350 cube engine. Such fantastic cars, and such power! I don't think you were there. I don't think you ever drove one of those great machines. (I sold my 68 Pontiac LeMans convertible after its reaching the 301,000 mile mark, with original engine!)
  • jcgablejcgable Member Posts: 30
    From what I understood, the Lucerne was one of the first really good cars that GM has put out in a while... why are they getting rid of it? Have sales been disappointing?
    I'm not sure why you are bringing up the Lucerne here, but they are not getting rid of it anytime soon. It was introduced as a 2006 model and is likely to be around for another 4 years or so. The Lucerne is selling well.
  • stormdavystormdavy Member Posts: 80
    Since my last post, I saw this grey car in person, and for the most part, liked it. LTZ model has distinctive taillights that look better than those on earlier-posted shots of the red car. Watched video (Automotive News January 9, 2007) with designer explaining styling. Willing to give this model a chance in the real world, once it's off the platform and onto the street. As much as I wanted and tried to like the earlier Malibu's face and body, it just didn't convert me. This one has an exciting presence... I think the total package is subtle and strong.
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    Has anyone who has seen the 08 been able to sit in the car?

I get the feeling the show car is just for show.
    From the look of it, I think the new Malibu has similar interior as the the Saturn Aura, except for the double cockpit dash. They are basing on the current Epsilon platform.

jt
    Did you sit inside or just see it?
    I saw it from outside since the vehicle was locked up. Edmunds has pictures of the interior for both vehicles (Inside Line section)

jt
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    A Reuters article quoted Toyota Motor North America, Jim Press, as saying that, for him, the car of the recent Detroit Auto show was the 2008 Chevrolet Malibu.
  • ckirk3ckirk3 Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone have an updated site for pictures that show more than the red car displayed in Detroit? If so, please provide.
    Autoblog.com has a gallery with the grey one. Seen those? Also, gminsidenews.com has several threads with amateur shots from the shows.
    The car at the Philly AS was the same color as the one at Detroit inside and out. LOoked very good, although you couldn't get inside of course. The interior looked just as nice as in the photos.
  • emunsonemunson Member Posts: 5
    Actually, many GM owners are lifers. Their cars depreciate so badly that they have to go back to a GM dealership in order to receive the rebates that will help flip them out of their upside down car. I've heard many a GM car owner state this. And, since the quality is 'okay', and the warranty covers the problems, it's no big deal to them.

Well, I'm not one who agrees that it's okay for a new car to break down as long as it's covered under warranty. My 05' Maxx was so bad that GM settled with me (for an undisclosed amount-per agreement). My brother works for Ford, and he tows the company line. He drives only American, preferably Ford. And he thinks their fine as long as the warranty fixes the car; he is the service manager at a major dealership by the way.

My brother is among many Americans who have never owned a Toyota, Honda, or other Asian car. He has never had the opportunity to drive a vehicle that is trouble free, so he believes that all cars have their problems. We have owned Hondas and Toyotas, and never had anything go wrong. And they always retain a very high resale value, whereas Chevys do not.

I paid $23,000 for my Maxx in Feb. 05, right before they came out with all the rebates. At that time, a comparably equipped Accord was $23-24,000. I bought the Maxx for the flexibility of the cargo compartment. Now, I'm out of the car, back in a Toyota, and couldn't be happier. A car is an investment, invest wisely.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    I'm sorry for your troubles. I bought a Maxx LS the same month you did for $16,000. So far it's been a wonderful car, no problems whatsoever.

I have absolutely no brand or national loyalty. Last month I bought my wife a Kia Optima LX with leather for $16,100. I didn't give a damn whether it was American, Japanese, Korean or whatever as long as it was a good buy. I previously had an Elantra and had good luck with it. My experience has been that Chevy has a stronger dealer network than most-- less snotty and condescending than most Japanese brands and less sleazy than many Koreans.

I'm always curious when people buy a certain car because it's American. Which is more American a Camry or a Fusion? Guess it's how you count.

As for Toyota, I've owned a number of Prizms and Camrys during the early 90's. I've seen Toyota get progressively less trend setting and progressively poorer quality during the last ten or fifteen years. Car and Driver ranked my Optima ahead of the Camry in their recent comparo (Saturn beat 'em too)-- if you sit in a Camry and an Optima back to back you can see a significant difference in build quality. That certainly wasn't the case five years ago.

Where Toyota really lost me was their treatment of customers during the big sludge fiasco. I think people were treated badly and the arrogance of the manufacturer really showed through.

The Americans carry a couple of thousand dollars of your relatives health costs on their cars, the Koreans are involved in homeland shady financial deals-- but they're no where as arrogant as many Japanese manufacturers.
    sorry about your experience and its obvious you are here because you have an axe to grind with Chevy. No offense to your brother but I have a hard time believing ANYONE in 2007 thinks "all" cars have problems and we should get used to it. You fail to mention that some people (many people) have good experiences with their GM products. To say that GM owners are too uneducated to realize that they could be driving something better is insulting and arrogant. For the record I have had some problems with my GM car and I'm not happy about it. That said, I wouldnt swear off GM cars for two reasons: a)There have been reliable GM cars owned by members of my family and b) I dont believe that buying foreign is a guarantee of no problems. Sorry but I had neighbors with a Cressida and Avalon and both had issues. Just heard about a friend's '03 Infiniti that wouldnt start. There are other stories as well.

As for being upside down, that will happen when you dont put money down. It seems to be that buying an import makes a lot more sense if you plan to buy with no cash. My '02 Olds is paid off and worth about $7300 as a trade and $8300 on the market per kbb. In this area I have seen similar cars listed for close to $10k. I paid about $21k for it 5+ years ago. That's not quite what I would call upside down.

GM's residuals are better today than they were in 2001 and I would be in a better position with a new GM car than I am in with my current car. If your only concern is how much your car will be worth at trade it than by all means dont get the Malibu or anyting else domestic. Personally, I care more about styling, price and performance than resale value since I will be living with the car for 5 or 6 years.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    ...the title of the discussion states "2008 Chevy Malibu", but somehow the talk is turning to domestics vs. imports. Let me point you to Automotive News & Views where I'm sure you can find a topic to accommodate those comments.

Thanks for your cooperation!
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    Does anyone know if the 2008 Malibu uses Hydraulic rear suspension bushings?

That would go a long way towards ridding the "bu of its current rear end quiver over bumps.
    The reviews I've seen of the Saturn Aura's driving characteristics have been quite good. Since it's the same platform as the new Malibu, you would think it would have the same or very similar suspensions. I don't remember anything in the press release about bushings.
  • lostwrenchlostwrench Member Posts: 288
    Never had anything go wrong? Nonsense. We were not born yesterday.
    Went to the Canadian Int'l Auto Show this past weekend and got a chance to see the 08 Bu. I was disappointed that I could not sit inside but not surprised I guess. Otherwise the car is very nice to look at and if it drives like the Aura and has an interior even close to the Aura, GM has a winner. My guess is, both of these qualities will be present.

If I can get a 3.6L 2008 for substantially less than an Aura I will probably buy one. I like the Aura XR a lot but the C$31K price tag here in Canada is a little steep. If I can get the Malibu for ~ C$28K, it will be a very attractive buy.
  • mrdisco33mrdisco33 Member Posts: 58
    Don't suppose you could tell if the back seat had an armrest or not?

i also agree .. if the 3.6L can come in at a better price (and a decent financing rate) than the Aura XR i will be tempted. the XR is hideously expensive in Canada :(
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    It was probably a preprodution mule that was 100% accurate to what will be released anyway. Probably one reason they don't want people sitting in it.
    No armrest. I have noticed that GM doesnt put armrests in vehicles that have separate cupholders in the rear. It seems like GM sees armrests as a place to stick cupholders and little more.
  • savethelandsavetheland Member Posts: 671
    My Sable has armrest in the back but nobody uses it, I think people do not care about armrests. Yes it has cup-holders separate from armrest.
    Didn't notice an armrest, but I don't care. Nice to have but way down the list of things I care about.
    I dont understand why they leave it out but it may have something to do with making the center seating position more comfortable. Since I dont ride in the back I don't really care.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    It is a way to cut costs. Most people are not going to notice it missing on a test drive and may never miss it if the back seat doesn't get used much.
    I doubt many people care. I'd rather see standard ABS.