Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008-2009 Chevrolet Malibu

Comments

• kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    Anyone know how much of the suspension components in the front end were changed for '08 ?

I am wondering if the new 'Bu could become a rattler, like many of the current 'bus and mid-line GM cars seem to be.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    no wait, it was a 95 Mitsu Diamante. I really like the 08 'Bu, but they really really really went thirteen year old retro on the c-pillar and back end. There are lots of photo chops out there with complete amateurs that did a better job.
  • alexs05alexs05 Member Posts: 1
    There's a white one down here amongst 6-7 Saturn VUE's in various trim levels.

[click pictures for larger version]

2AM hotel-hopping locating the cars. Turns out they're 2 minutes from my house.
    Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

7PM today when I stopped back by the hotel and got lucky.
    Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Sorry GM, one of your guys can't read because the cover was still nicely folded in the back seat image
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Why did they bother to camouflage it when it has already been officially previewed?
  • lostwrenchlostwrench Member Posts: 288
    Saw a 2008 Malibu at the New York Auto Show last week. Wow! What a car.
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    So you've seen the 2008 Malibu and the 2009 Camaro...since you say you're saving your $$$$ for the Camaro, if someone were torn between buying the 2008 Malibu or waiting for the 2010 Impala (similar to the Camaro) could one infer that you'd say the Impala would be worth the wait?
    Bob Lutz recently announced that production of the RWD Impala is "On hold and Questionable".
    Yeah I've been reading that...which makes me think even if the Impala happens and is a knockout, unless it comes with a hybrid powertrain I'll probably lean towards the Malibu. I was actually looking at the Saturn Vue and Aura hybrids online last night, which both get about the same gas mileage. If I remember correctly there's supposed to be a Malibu hybrid eventually, and at least I can apply my GM Card earnings towards the Chevy (which I can't do on a Saturn). Wonder if a hybrid Equinox might be in the pipeline as well?
  • lakerunner4hlakerunner4h Member Posts: 37
    Has anyone heard a specific launch / release date yet for the 2008 Malibu?
    All I've seen/heard is "fall 2007" which is vague, but someone on here should know which plant they'll be building them at, and when that plant is scheduled to shut down/retool for 2008 production...which would give you a fair idea of when to start seeing cars in showrooms. If I were Chevy I'd like to have some in dealerships by Labor Day, just to have something new to get folks into showrooms at that point, and to have something to talk about in TV spots that coincide with the new Fall TV schedules. But of course "Fall" could be as late as Thanksgiving.
    Sometimes they build them ahead of time and stockpile them so they will have big numbers to ship on a specific launch date. This way they kickoff with a big bang and boast about high sales numbers.

Other times, they send them out as they build even at a slow initial ramp up of production speed and then end up with only a few per dealer during the initial few weeks. They do this to create buzz about how "hard to get" they are.

Does anyone know how it will go for the Malibu?
  • e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    The 2008 is built at same plant as the 2004-7 Malibu. In Fairfax, Kansas.
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    I have read somewhere the Malibu goes to production in the summer for a September release. I am waiting to try one and compare with Aura. Very likely I will buy one of them, I just have a feeling I may end up saving a grand or two buying a 3.6L Malibu since Saturn insists on charging such a big premium for the XR here in Canada.
  • 14871487 Member Posts: 2,407
    Dont expect the MSRP on the Malibu to be substantially cheaper than Aura. Look at pricing on G6 for comparison. SInce Pontiac dealers can offer discounts the G6 is actually more expensive than the Aura even though it has slightly less equipment. I expect the same to be true for the Malibu except for the fact that the Malibu wont be missing any features found on the Aura.
    But you CAN apply GM Card earnings towards the Malibu, which you can't for the Saturn.
    That is another factor in a difficult decision. I have seen and like both the new Malibu and Aura. (I wish my closest Saturn dealership was not over 60 miles away. The next closest is in another state!)
    FWIW I've had co-workers who had Saabs and Mini Coopers; in both cases the nearest dealer is 120+ miles away in another state. In both cases they were required to bring the vehicles to the dealer for warranty work, and would have to take time off work and/or make weekend trips to get their cars serviced. The Saab owner had lots of problems with her car, and spent tons of time driving back and forth - and when she was unable to drive the car, she was literally stuck. Granted 60 miles isn't as bad, but based on my friends' experiences I'd be hard pressed to buy a vehicle without a dealer nearby. The frustrating thing in both cases is you'd think a GM (maybe Cadillac for the Saab) or BMW (for the Mini) dealer should have been able to perform warranty work on these vehicles (or at least diagnose them), but that wasn't the case.
    There are two Saturn dealers within 10 miles of my house but there is a Chevy dealer within 3 miles. I also want to use my GM card earnings so the Malibu is looking good. However, if the sweet rebates continue on the Aura I may go in that direction.
  • collectairecollectaire Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Malibu LT. A great car, quiet, all the toys, no problems, dealer 10 minutes from the house. I'll be at the head of the line for a 2008 Malibu LT or LTZ.
    Just read elsewhere on the Web that production of the 2008 Malibu will begin in October, and an advertising push to begin in January 2008 (so I guess that means the car will be available around that time too). That seems to be later than I expected; I was hoping to see one by fall at least.
  • jm40jm40 Member Posts: 6
    go to this website: The Gm Source (image gallery)
    http://www.thegmsource.com/index.php?categoryid=3

lots of pics of the new Chevy Malibu,, both exterior and interior. the interior looks just like the Saturn Aura but with slightly diffent color combinations. very nice look and style.

honestly GM and Ford have both come out with some strong new vehicles lately. i think toyota and honda especially seem so boring now.
    The pictures were already posted here a months ago.
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    A pity the Maxx version went bye bye.

But depending on traction control quality (real braking of spinning wheel (good), or the simple cut power approach (bad)), and after they've been building it a while (too many first year problems in my '04 to warrant buying another 1st year Chevy !!) , I'll certainly check the '08 'bu out.
    This may be old news, but I just read confirmation in an AP story that the Malibu Hybrid will happen soon. Here's the direct quote from the story:

"(Rick) Wagoner, speaking Tuesday at the company's annual shareholders meeting, also said GM would introduce four new hybrid models this year.

A company spokesman said the four new hybrids, all previously announced, are the two-mode gas-electric systems in the Chevrolet Tahoe and GMC Yukon large sport utility vehicles, and hybrid systems for the Saturn Aura and new Chevrolet Malibu sedans."

I'd known about the other three, but this was the first I'd heard of the Malibu coming out with a hybrid system (I knew it would come eventually, but it wasn't mentioned in the car's debut at the Detroit Auto Show earlier this year...but this implies it will be available at the car's introduction, which is a good thing).

I haven't driven an Aura Hybrid, but I have driven a VUE Hybrid and other than the SUV traits I didn't care for, the powertrain didn't feel much different than a standard car. Granted this hybrid is a mild one relative to the Prius, but by the same token if I can get a Malibu hybrid AND throw in my GM Card earnings, I'd say unless a test drive totally changes my mind I know what I'll be buying to replace my 2000 Impala.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    It's not been active, but you may want to post this in Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid over on the Hybrids board. This might sparks some hybrid folks to comment.
    It has been known for some time that there will be a Malibu hybrid. It will be the same as the Aura GL so it wont give you a huge boost in mileage. IN fact, it probably wont do much more than the LTZ 4 cylinder model with 6 speed auto. C&D tested an Aura GL and only got 23 mpg which isnt good at all. Plus they said it was very slow. I'm glad there will be a Malibu hybrid but it doesnt sound too promising at this point.
  • medcatmedcat Member Posts: 9
    I wonder if they will have a "sport" edition of the bu?
    Would that be a good/bad idea?
    I would expect to see one in the future.
    The current issue of Automobile has a design review of the new Malibu. The author (who doesnt like many designs) is generally positive about the car although he still calls it dull. He says it reminds him of the LS460 and is full of fine detailing that is rarely seen on such a car. I guess it can be summed up by saying that he felt the car looked classy and expensive, but not exciting enough for his tastes. Of course he didnt mention any competing cars that he would actually approve of in terms of design.
    I tend to agree; I don't think anyone is going to look at the Malibu and be emotionally drawn to the car like one might the upcoming Camaro. But I think when you start comparing it to the competition (which if you think about it, isn't exactly loaded with emotionally exciting options), it will stand out. I haven't seen the car in person, but from the photos I've seen it will raise the bar for cars of this class in terms of styling/details.
  • savethelandsavetheland Member Posts: 671
    I think he meant that front end is dull (or generic). But overal design is pretty sweet. This time they found good proportions and lines. I hope they do not cheapen interior (as they did with Aura).
    The 2008 Malibu looks fine in styling, but reliability and quality remain a giant question mark.
    I don't think "giant" question mark is a fair statement. There might be something unique about the Malibu that could prove to be problematic, but the bulk of the essentials (drivetrain, basic platform and such) aren't new, but have been proven in other vehicles. The Malibu shares its platform with the Saturn Aura; I honestly haven't spent much time researching the engines yet, but as far as I know they aren't being newly introduced with the Malibu.

There are going to be question marks with any car introduction (foreign or domestic), but I can't think of anything Chevy/GM has done recently that would put a "giant" question mark on the Malibu. From my experience with a 1st year 2000 Impala and 2003 Accord, I'd have no qualms with the 2008 Malibu (at least no more than I would with the 2009 Accord).
    "The 2008 Malibu looks fine in styling, but reliability and quality remain a giant question mark."

what are you basing that on? The current car is reliable and we havent seen any data on the Aura yet so I see no reason to say reliability is a huge issue with this car. As for quality, I dont know what you are referring to but everyone who has seen the car up close has approved of the build quality and materials. I saw it in person at the auto show and the panel gaps are TIGHT.
    Actually I'd be more leery of buying a Toyota at this point (sludge problems, crankshaft problems, etc.) than I would a Chevy/GM product.
  • lweisslweiss Member Posts: 342
    Whether the 2008 Malibu is exciting or not (compared to the upcoming Camaro), GM desparately needs a big hit in the mid-size car category. I would be very surprised if the Camaro hits 100,000 in sales a year, the Malibu could sell 350-400,000 per year (over time) and finally give Honda, Toyota, and Nissan some competition. Or at least it would save some GM buyers who would be downsizing from SUVs and trucks from leaving the company's products. GM has a lot riding on this product, they can't afford to mess it up.
    actually GM already has a hit in the segment, its the Impala and it should get over 300k in sales this year. Over time the Malibu will probably overtake the Impala as GM's #1 car. I doubt the Malibu will come close to 300k sales until the Impala goes RWD in two years. I think GM would be happy with 200k sales next year.
  • lorddrago1lorddrago1 Member Posts: 19
    00 Chevy Malibu 3.1 L. This sounds like a PCM problem any advice?
  • lweisslweiss Member Posts: 342
    The Impala is a nice vehicle, sells well lately, but I would call it more than mid-sized (I don't know the classification)- it is 200 inches long, only comes with a V6 or V8 and the mileage is OK, not that great. In my case, I like a car at most 190 inches, with a high output 4 cylinder, like the Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, Nissan Altima, Ford Fusion- and I think that is the segment that the 2008 Malibu needs to play in. I've read that the problems of GM, Ford, and Chrysler can be traced to the Asian manufactures basically taking over the mid-size and compact car markets. One successful model for GM (the Impala) is not nearly enough for a big company like them, assuming they want to grow or at least maintain their market share.
    The Impala is classified as a large car, with the total of its passenger and cargo volumes being at least 120 cu.ft.
    Cars classified as midsize have a total passenger and cargo volume of 110 to 119 cu.ft.
  • savethelandsavetheland Member Posts: 671
    Now Impala is considered as a full size car and it is competing against Taurus, 300 and Avalon. All cars get bigger over the time. Like Taurus is bigger than ever (original Taurus in size was similar to Fusion). New Mondeo (Ford Contour) had become a large car - it has the same length and wheelbase as Malibu but its width is 74 agains 70 of Malibu and 72 in Fudion (only one inch narrower than new Taurus and 1 inch wider than previous Taurus) and height is 59 against 57 in Malibu and Fusion. Ford Contour used to be a compact car - smaller than Ford Focus!
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    They may have to re-designate sizes by a few cubic feet. I believe that the Sonata is now "officially" designated a large car because it goes over the limit by one cubic foot. The Elantra is now mid-size. People still lump cars into classes despite what the government says.

In this case, I think the Impala, like the Azera, 500/Taurus, and Avalon IS in a different class.
    First of all, the Japanese do not dominate the midsize segment, GM sells more midsize cars than Toyota and far more than Honda and Nissan. The reality is Chrsyler and Ford are not doing their share in the midsize car segment although Ford is getting better with the success of the Fusion.

The mileage on the 3.9 V6 Impala is better than the Aura/Malibu with 3.6 and 6 speed auto.
    Correct. The Sonata is designated as a large car, and the Elantra as midsize.
    The designations are based on passenger AND cargo volumes.
    "The 2008 Malibu looks fine in styling, but reliability and quality remain a giant question mark"

Not really, it's all proven technology (transmission was new last year, engines have been around for a few). Production will be similar to the Aura at the same plant, no major issues and few minor ones with the Saturn.
    Anyone know if production has started yet? I am waiting on this car.
    Isn't it a new 6 speed automatic transmission for the 4 cyliner LTZ?
    its a variation of the existing FWD 6 speed, its not really new.
    Same 6-speed that is in the Aura 3.6 now, not new.
  • winterescapewinterescape Member Posts: 5
    I thought the Aura used the 6T60 and the Malibu will use the new 6T40. If the 6T40 is just a variation on the 6T60 can you point me towards documentation that describes similarities and differences or tech specs, I am having a hard time finding any data on the 6T40.