Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2008-2009 Chevrolet Malibu

Comments

• Options
    14871487 Member Posts: 2,407
    Without getting into the specifics of Chevy's sales I suspect their sales are down due to a decrease in SUV sales and the fact that they have cut fleet sales across the board. The question is, will they be able to outsell Toyota this year? As far as I know the answer is yes. GM is not losing ground this year, it's share has been up or down slightly depending on which quarter you examine. Overall GM is doing no worse than last year in terms of market share and they are doing it with far less discounts. With the Malibu and 2007 Silverado Chevy is likely to have an increase in sales next year.

The 2008 Malibu SHOULD make the old car look old. That is the point. Nissan decided to make the new Altima so evolutionary that most people wont even notice it's all new. If you want people to rush out an buy your new model you have to make it worth trading in their old models. I can see that happening with the Malibu, but not the Altima.

The Fusion, Sonata, Galant and 6 lack dual zone auto climate control. Only the Accord, Passat and Camry have it but you cant get it on the Camry SE for some stupid reason. Want dual zone on a 6 or Sonata even though they are imports? Nope, cant have it.

GM is finally phasing out 4 speeds in mainstream cars. The G6/Aura already have 6 speeds and the Malibu will as well. The Vue will also have one. 4 speeds are older technology but the differences in mileage between a 4 speed and 5 speed are minimal. Compare the mileage of the Aura/G6/Malibu with the 3.5L engine to the Accord or Sonata or Fusion (6 speed) and you will see virtually no difference. As for pushrods, you need to look into that a little more. GM's newest pushrods have VVT while the Fusion, 6 and Sebring do not. Pushrod tech is no older than OHC technology, it's just mechanically simpler. OHV engines are trusted to run trucks, SUVs, sports cars and the 300C so I dont see why they cant be used. As far as I know the Japanese never made pushrod engines in america which is why they dont have them to this day, it's not like they made them and then "upgraded" to OHC layouts because they deemed OHV inferior.

Bluetooth is available on the Altima as part of an expensive package. Navigation isnt required, but another package with tons of unrelated features. Bottom line, on an Altima V6 you have to spend $30k to get bluetoooth which means 90% of Altimas will not have it. Does the Accord have bluetooth? Passat?
  • Options
    a 4 speed will be offered in the Malibu. The electric steering will most likely be offered on the 4 cylinder and hybrid models but not the V6 models. The G6 has dropped electric steering on V6 models and the Aura doesnt even offer it.

You can call the Malibu's likely powertrains outdated but all that matters is performance. The g6 has a four cylinder combined with a 4 speed with I suppose you would call outdated but it still gets 23/33 which is better than many cars, including the Fusion with a 5 speed.
  • Options
    shado4shado4 Member Posts: 287
    Will the new Malibu change GM's fortunes? It will help, but GM still has a long way to go.

Detroit News article

Quote: "The biggest challenge GM faces is that more and more people, especially the young, are excluding us from their consideration list," the study said.

Hence my desire to see GM become more proactive when it comes to embracing newer technologies like Bluetooth. I am hoping that Chevy makes the 2008 Malibu a showcase for forward thinking that will draw more people into the showrooms.
  • Options
    savethelandsavetheland Member Posts: 671
    "You can call the Malibu's likely powertrains outdated but all that matters is performance."

It more perceptions than facts. GMs new OHV engines with VVT are pretty well engineered - fuel effective and smooth. I drove some time ago rental Pontiac GP with OHV and could not figure out what engine was under the hood. But I did not try to race it though. You probably will notice trying to rev it up. But for Pontiac being sport sedan company it is essencial to have latest technologies under the hood. For Chevy may be it is not so important.

Electric steering can be done right, but GM needs to put more engineering effort to improve it.
  • Options
    GM has done electric steering right on the Cobalt SS s/c coupe. That car's steering has been lauded but I suspect that some of the changes that were made negate the fuel economy advantages of electric steering. I dont think the feature is going anywhere so I look for them to refine it in the future.

MT has a clear pic of the Malibu in the February issue. They said the engines are 2.4L and 3.6L so I guess no OHV engine will be offered. They like the styling a lot and said this car is worthy of being called Malibu.

as for Pontiac, the have a direct injection turbo four that crushes the audi 2L turbo. I would call that technology. The G6 has a DOHC V6 and 6 speed auto, sounds pretty up to date to me.
  • Options
    readerreaderreaderreader Member Posts: 253
    You mean a picture different to that which was shown to us a few days ago?

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
  • Options
    Yes, a couple weeks ago a photo was leaked showing a dark grey Malibu and MT has a clear version of that same pic. The car looks very good indeed and they noted that. apparently the picture that leaked out was the standard photo given to the magazines.
  • Options

• Options
    rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    The Aura is the "Cam" beater while the Malibu is the "Cord" beater. :blush:

Rocky
  • Options
    jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    The styling looks good enough to not be the unfortunate problem it is with the current Malibu. However, they are playing a lot of games with lighting. I'd like to see how it looks with flat lighting and no PhotoShop highlights and lowlights.
    Can't tell if it has a footrest/dead pedal for driver's left foot to rest at a comfortable angle on long drives.
    Now, we have to see what kind of features and specifications it has or lacks compared to the competition.
    Engines, transmissions, pricing, fuel economy, crash test safety, comfort, ride and handling etc..
  • Options
    http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=119021?tid=edmunds.il.ho- - me.photopanel..1.*

What is not in doubt is the improvement in the powertrain. Chevrolet ditched the 224-horsepower pushrod 3.5-liter V6 in favor of a 252-hp double-overhead-cam 3.6-liter V6. The new engine is also available on the upmarket version of the Saturn Aura. The company likewise threw out the four-speed automatic and bolted a six-speed auto, with optional steering-wheel-mounted shifting, in its place. It's a combination that's impressed us in the Aura XR. And while the similarly sized Toyota and Nissan motors make more horsepower, 252 is more than adequate output for a family car.

The Malibu's new base motor, a 2.4-liter Ecotec double-overhead four-cylinder, makes 20 more hp than the outgoing 2.2-liter Ecotec. Rated at 164 hp, the new motor has as much juice as most direct competitors. A six-speed automatic transmission is also available with the Ecotec, although it comes only on Malibus with the upmarket LTZ treatment. The versions in the more budget-minded LS and LT trim lines get a four-speed automatic.
  • Options
    4 cylinder LTZ with 6-speed automatic sounds almost unbelievable.
    If it happens, that could be a nice choice with good MPG, good performace and quiet highway ride.
  • Options
  • Options
    paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    is it me...or does it have some of the lines of the current Acura TL series.......Im looking to trade my 04 Maxx LT in 08....so will interesting to see how the Malibu shapes up......but Im still looking to go with my Cadillac CTS which is also due for a major rework for 08...I know..no comparison between the two.....but who knows......Chevy might just sell me on this one....
  • Options
    does it really matter how competent GM makes any particular model? People on other sites are already complaining about how this car looks like a TL or some other car. Than others are deeming it uncompetitive because it doesn't have bluetooth.

Personally, I like the car a lot and I might get one next year. Looks good to me inside and out but I really want to see some real interior photos.

The 6 speed and ecotec should give you 24/34 or 25/35 if you look at the G6's mileage with the 4 speed auto. Very nice indeed. How about them one upping Camry, Fusion and Accord with the available 6 speed/4cylinder combo? Nice.
  • Options
    paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    oh I agree with you....GM is still fighting perception of their product and its a slow climb up the mountain...I like the looks of the car and the interior....I would love to see another hatchback..but dont think that will happen....

saw the bluetooth discussion as well....and I agree...its an option to me doesnt sell me on a car.....the change in engine and trans should be a great addition to this car..IMHO
  • Options
    Whatever GM products dont have is always the key feature to some people. If the Altima has HIDs and the Malibu doesnt than people will say they wont buy the Malibu. Same goes for bluetooth and navigation, never mind that 90% of all midsize sedans do not offer this feature. The Accord doesnt even offer it and that hasn't affected that car's success at all. I do hope they make nav an option even though I am not willing to pay $2000 for it just to shut people up. The funny part is the people who complain about the lack of nav wouldn't buy the car anyway.
  • Options
    Same goes for bluetooth and navigation, never mind that 90% of all midsize sedans do not offer this feature.

So why can't GM be part of the 10% that do offer bluetooth and navigation in their midsize sedans? GM doesn't have the luxury of being in the 90%; they have been losing sales and market share because they sell cars like everyone else. The problem is everyone else is doing a better job of it.

Perception, perception, perception. GM needs to be pushing the envelope instead of playing catch-up.
  • Options
    otis12otis12 Member Posts: 171
    Does any other car maker offer the 4 cylinder/6-speed automatic tranny combo? I can't think of one. Sounds like the '08 Malibu should be the fuel mileage champ of the mid-size sedan class, unless the brand new '08 Honda Accord offers a similar engine/tranny combo.
  • Options
    here's an idea, why dont you just buy a car that does offer what you want? Since Bluetooth and Nav are the onyl two features that matter you should buy a Camry or Altima. Last time I checked they are the only two non luxury midsizers that have this feature. Fusion, Accord, Sebring, 6, etc. do NOT have this feature. Why are you singling out GM is being behind when this is not a widespread option in this price range?

If 90% of the public considers a GM prodduct than I believe they would be happy since they have only 26% of the market. As I told you before, they are not losing market share this year. If you are basing the competence on who has the most share than that would GM is making the best cars. Not saying I agree with that, but according to what you are saying it's a valid argument.

I can assure you, GM has not been losing share over the last 30 years because of lack of bluetooth and nav.

"GM needs to be pushing the envelope instead of playing catch-up."

They are pushing it by offering a nice looking midsize sedan with great value and great powertrains plus a hybrid model. The only affordable midsize cars out that could possibly be considered better than this are the Altima and Camry but both are overpriced and neither looks as distinctive as the Malibu.
  • Options
    Only the Passat and Jetta have 4s and 6 speeds. The Jetta is much smaller and the Passat is more expensive. The Altima gets really good mileage with the CVT, I believe its 26/35 which is best in class.

I doub't the Accord will have a 6 speed auto since Acura doesnt even have one yet. Honda just stopped using 4 speeds within the last 3-4 years.
  • Options
    bxdbxd Member Posts: 186
    I think the size of this Malibu is going to be a homerun for many people. 3" longer than the current one, which already is near (at??) the top of its class with 15.4 cu ft and a nice size back seat. If they apply only 25% of that 3" increase in length to the trunk, it will be up to about 18 cu ft, larger than anything out there in this class including the imports, and barely behind the Impala.

High tech powertrains... lots of room... fresh styling... remote start... heated seats... sounds like a winner to me.
  • Options
    They are pushing it by offering a nice looking midsize sedan with great value and great powertrains plus a hybrid model. The only affordable midsize cars out that could possibly be considered better than this are the Altima and Camry but both are overpriced and neither looks as distinctive as the Malibu.

I wouldn't exactly call a 9 month wait to get a 2008 Malibu pushing the envelope. By the time the new Malibu is available for sale it will have to contend with a brand new Accord. I'm willing to bet the new Accord will make the new Malibu seem mediocre and outdated even before it hits the streets. Can anyone say "poor timing"?
  • Options
    If 90% of the public considers a GM product than I believe they would be happy since they have only 26% of the market.

Better recheck your numbers. Based on figures from the Detroit News article I linked to several posts ago:

Quote: "In the past 10 years, GM's annual U.S. market share has fallen from 31 percent to 24 percent, as of November."

I can assure you, GM has not been losing share over the last 30 years because of lack of bluetooth and nav.

No, they have been losing market share by offering mediocre products with yesterday's technology. Thank God the pushrod engine and 4-speed automatic transmission will FINALLY be laid to rest when the new Malibu eventually goes on sale.
  • Options
    It is probably going to try to attract buyers of both the current Malibu and Impala, then the new Impala is getting bigger and RWD to become an alternative to the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger.
  • Options
    This engine needs premium in the Cobalt and HHR, so is it going to be any different for the new Malibu?
  • Options
    csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    Just bought a new Optima with the Hyundai/Kia version of the four cylinder engine. Test drove the Chrysler Seibring and Hyundai seems to have done the better job with the same package.

However, compared to my (other car)Malibu Maxx with the 3.5 ohv, this is a car that's going to have a lot more maintenance cost. I, for one appreciate the light weight, good gas mileage, torqiness and simplicity of that 3.5 engine.

With the electric steering (true, it doesn't handle like the Optima with 17 inch 50 series Michelins) but it will probably get almost as good gas mileage. Plus, the oil life monitor indicates that I can get about 7000 miles on a change with dino oil.

It's certainly not cutting edge, but GM should get more credit than it does for building technology into a simple basic design.
  • Options
    dodgeman07dodgeman07 Member Posts: 574
    Can anyone say "poor timing"?

Boy, oh Boy, let the GM bashing continue. I work for a major supplier to Toyota and Honda. They make great cars based on their assembly standards / supplier requirements. GM is moving in the right direction. They're NOT going to catch anybody and shouldn't be worried about it. They need to be competitive on $$, quality, and delivering the market what it wants, when it wants it.

I like the new Malibu and have been very happy with my '04 LT V-6. It's been as good a car as the 2 previous Accords I've owned. The '08 Malibu LTZ with the 164HP 4 and a 6 sp auto may be just what the doctor ordered. For this patient anyway! :)
  • Options
    ricardoheadricardohead Member Posts: 48
    Over at Leftlane News there are a bunch of new pics up, both interior and exterior. The back end looks a little odd in the pics, but I'll withhold judgment until I see it live. Personally I think it is great overall, though. I wish some manafacturer of normal cars would see fit to offer their V6 with a manual trannie, though.

LLN Article/Pic link
  • Options
    rvothrvoth Member Posts: 147
    If GM didn't place the back up lights on the truck lid, it would look alot like the Ford Fusion does. I do like the lines of the car,the interior shares similar items from the previous malibu. Like same style of air vents on the dash corners with two fewer in the center of the dash. The instrument cluster looks nice along with how they positioned the climate control and radio controls. More European look.
  • Options
    I dont understand why you are wasting your time or ours in the this forum. It's obvious you dont like the car so why post here? If you want to buy a Japanese car then do so. What is the point in trying to argue people down about how bad the Malibu is compared to the imports? It's not even out yet.

Your statements make no sense. The current Malibu came out as a 2004 model and four years later there will be a new model. What do you mean "bad timing"? I dont think they based the release date on whether or not an Accord was coming out. You can pretty much predict what will be on the new accord, more power (although likely less the 258hp TL), more space and some new features like Bluetooth, trip computer, split folding rear seat and perhaps remote start. Honda isnt going to offer 18" wheels (the RL doesnt even have them), it wont blow away the competition in power, no name brand sound system, no Onstar, etc. I don't see any way Honda can make the '08 Malibu (or Altima or Camry) look mediocre because these cars are too good. Just face the fact that these sedans are going to be more or less evenly matched. I know you cant believe that because the Malibu doesnt have Bluetooth, but it's true. BTW, as far as I know there will be no Accord hybrid on the next generation.

Malibu is supposed to be out in the Summer. LAst time I checked thats 6-7 months from now.
  • Options
    The 4 speed hanst been laid to rest. Did you read the information that was released?

BTW, since you believe purveyors of 4 speeds are low tech that means you feel Toyota is behind the times since is still sells 4 speeds on numerous models. Honda just stopped making 4 speeds with the debut of the new Civic and they have yet to offer a 6 speed on ANY model. GM makes more 4 speeds than Honda, but they also make more 6 speeds. I suspect by the end of next year GM will be making more 6 speeds than Toyota as well. remember, only the Camry V6 has a 6 speed auto. The G6, Aura, Outlook/Acadia, Escalade, Denali and Vette have 6 speeds now. The Malibu, Equinox, Tahoe/Yukon, Silverado and CTS get them next year.
  • Options
    Wow, from pictures it looks pretty upscale. Note that fuel tank is unlocked from cabin. It may seem to be not very important but it makes car look more upscale (like all German, Japanese and even Korean cars).

I am only concerned if interior while being well designed would have the same flimsy feel and hard plastic used in lower dash. Interior design is very good, similar to Accord – it feels open and roomy. It is no way European style. European style is what we see in Fusion – rather claustrophobic straight lines with lot of expensive looking black plastic.
  • Options
    I'm sure the interior will be very similar to the Aura so whatever criticisms you've heard about that car will likely apply to the Malibu. I did notice that the armrest appears to have a soft material with stitching unlike the Aura which has a hard plastic surface that many have complained about.

I did notice the fuel filler door wasnt manual.
  • Options
    stormdavystormdavy Member Posts: 80
    Like the looks of this car after resenting and disappointment with the former car's appearance. Agree that there are photo shop touch-ups and I look forward to seeing this in person at NAIAS.

Styling-wise, this car has it going on especially from front and front 3/4 view. Exciting, tight and a new face. Nice sculpting of front melding into sides and hood.

The rear quarter does look a little stubby like Audi A4, and the rear lights and rear end could be better: the combination of point (agree with above poster-- Ford Fusion-like) and panel into trunk (looks like cobbled from Buick Lucerne) doesn't quite make it for me and recalls garish rear lights of Infiniti M.

Chevy tries to straddle both vocabularies by inserting 'twin round' shapes within outer lamps cut-outs, but this is weak although I'm sure less expensive.

Generally though this is an exciting break-through. Look forward to checking out in person how the LTZ model distinguishes itself visually.
  • Options
    "I did notice that the armrest appears to have a soft material with stitching unlike the Aura which has a hard plastic surface that many have complained about. "

Door panels in Aura are not made from hard plastic - it is soft enough, not being too soft to wear quickly as it happens in VW. The complains were about door panel being too shiny and therefore cheap looking, stitches look artificial and unnecessary, and it also feels flimsy and hollow when you touch it.

But Aura sells well so evidently it is not such a big issue. Still I hope GM listens to critics as it did with Saturn Sky and Malibu will not have the same issues. If they fix remaining issues Aura will sell even better.
  • Options
    chesterjchesterj Member Posts: 4
    Will the Malibu offer a V6 manual with dual exhaust?
  • Options
    lonewaldenlonewalden Member Posts: 26
    I must complement GM on the 08 Malibu. I thought for sure that Hyundai would be selling me my next car (either a Sonata or a Elantra) but after seeing the sneek peak photos this car will definately be on my shopping list. I always thought the looks of the current gen Malibu were way to ho-hum. I just hope that the real thing looks this good in person when the 08's role out late this year.

I truly like the fact that I could buy a V-6 Sonata for what my friend payed for his Civic. Now I just hope the General follows suit with Hyundai (and ford for that matter) and makes the V-6 Malibu affordable. I dont like how they try to run you up the options ladder if you want the good V-6 on their current Malibu/G-6 offerings.

However, the one nit I have to pick with what ive seen on the 08 Malibu is the back end. I think they could have done better and I dont think it really matches the design flow of the rest of the car. Other than that I think it is one of the top 3 looking mid-size sedans that will be on the market.

Good job GM!
  • Options
    The Malibu will offer both engines on all trim levels I believe so you should be able to get a V6 for $21k or less. I doubt this car will be as cheap as the Sonata, but I think it's a better looking and better equipped car and it will be much cheaper than a V6 Camry. The Sonata offers great value but this car looks better inside and out.

I dont think any specific release date has been announced but I believe it will be out in the 3rd quarter.
  • Options
    No manual transmission is being offered. The only sedans in this class with V6 and manual tranny are 6, Altima and Accord.
  • Options
    Forget about manual V6 unless there is a SS model coming in a year or 2.
  • Options
    If anyone sees full interior specs, please post them. I am most interested in rear seat leg room and cargo ("trunk") volume. Or will we have to wait for the show for this info?? Thanks!
  • Options
    pontiacgtppontiacgtp Member Posts: 15
    Has anyone heard what kind of gas mileage the standard 4 cyl will get w/the 6 speed automatic? Also will navigation be available?
  • Options
    they estimate hwy economy at 31mpg for four and 26mpg for V6 under new EPA rules. They said the four should equal or superior to Camry I-4. I would assume the Camry/Accord will get around 30-31 under the new rules. City mileage wasnt listed.

Navigation will not be available.

interior dimensions have been posted, you might find that info in the press release.
  • Options
    brooklynhankbrooklynhank Member Posts: 1
    Nice to see that they "prettified" the Malibu. It looked like everyone's idea of a wallflower (But she has a nice personality!) I like the idea of upgrading the engine and transmission to the 21st century. But the only actual innovative thing that the current Malibu has is the MAXX - I hope they continue a version of that hatchback/wagon on the new platform - THAT WOULD BE SWEET!
  • Options
    jcooleyjcooley Member Posts: 46
    With a 6 inch longer wheelbase, why is the interior room smaller???

http://www.cheersandgears.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14553&st=0#entry234449
  • Options
    You're right that the interior room didn't grow proportionately to the exterior growth. BUT in my case this is kind of what I was hoping to read. We are starting our family and at this stage in life a medium interior with a huge trunk is what I am hoping for. I hope the extra length went straight to the trunk - if it was lost in exterior design elements, I'd be bummed.

It really is amazing how designers can divide up space between the interior and the trunk. My current car, 99 SVT Contour, at 184" in length has a 14.5 cu ft trunk. Bigger trunk than today's Camry, while being way shorter overall. Camry went to the other extreme, relatively speaking a small trunk, but plenty of back seat room.

Finally remember that numbers don't tell the whole story. Each manufacturer has a little wiggle on how they do interior measurements. The true test will be when you sit down in one.

I know when I was buying my Contour the Mustang had almost the same rear seat measurements on paper, but in reality anyone who has been in the rear of a Mustang knows it's not a place you'd want to spend time. On paper they're very close but in reality you can ride in the back of the Contour for hours unlike the Mustang.
  • Options
    mrdisco33mrdisco33 Member Posts: 58
    Personally I think GM should forget about Honda and Toyota. They should be concerned with the rising challenge from Hyundai's Sonata and the incredible value they offer. The Malibu is not going to win over any CamCord buyers - at best it will slow the attrition rate of their existing customers and perhaps win over people who are sitting on the fence.
    While I too bemoan the fact that they're not offering any cutting edge features (nav, BT, LED rear lights) I would much rather they focus on building a quality product first. As an owner of a '96 Buick Regal let me tell you that based on that experience I swore I would never buy another GM vehicle. The Aura is what made me consider them again.

What I like:
    The 3.6 engine w/6sp
    Fairly modern styling (though it does look like TL)
    Great looking interior (plus it has their newer radio system with the aux input jack)
    Side marker lights

What I disklike:
    The tailights. They just can't let go of circles can they, only now with triangular Prelude lights. And no LEDs? Cost-cutting at its finest :|
    No fog lights on the LT. Again more pennies being shaved.

Deal breaker for me:
    If they copy the same height and door entry dimensions as the Aura I will have to take the Malibu off my shopping list. On the Aura I smacked my head three times when testing it out due to its smaller entry. The interior also felt very tight compared to the Camry and Sonata.
    Also if they copy the Aura's use of hard plastic on the door frame I won't be impressed.
  • Options
    walterquintwalterquint Member Posts: 89
    Based on my info on the 2008 Malibu, it's business as usual at GM. The most popular model (4cyl base and mid trim) will be stuck with the 4sp auto. 5sp auto optional on uplevel trims. This is absolutely unacceptable and exceptionally uncompetitive. The Accord and Camry have 5sp autos, and the Altima has already gone a step further with its CVT. A real darned shame......but typical!! :mad:
  • Options
    mr_botsmr_bots Member Posts: 236
    Do most people that own these cars even know what a transmission is? Let alone how many gears are in it? I see it this way: if it's reliable, gets good gas mileage, and accelerates at a decent rate then all is well. Atleast the 4T45 is proven to be reliable and smooth. I'll take reliability over sophistication any day.