Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008-2009 Chevrolet Malibu

Comments

• csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    I wouldn't consider the Taurus, Impala, Azera or Avalon midsized cars. I know the Sonata and Accord (w.o. sunroof) aren't officially midsized either, but that's just a technicality. The Impala is large any way you dice it, although the last gen. Malibu (about ten cubic feet larger than the present one) seemed almost as roomy in some dimensions.
  • albookalbook Member Posts: 1,282
    In feb issue of Mototrend, Malibu is tested against Camry, Accord, and Altima. It loses only to the Camry. This proves how far GM has come. Malibu beats out brand new Accord- again- which beat out Camry in another test, so the three must be interchangeble.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    There are varying results. Other tests put the Camry in last place, but none put the Malibu in first.
  • kplacerkplacer Member Posts: 97
    Keep in mind that it is Motor Trend, so I guess Toyota bought more advertising than Chevy and Honda this month.
  • dave8697dave8697 Member Posts: 1,498
    as driver of a 240 hp 3.8 GM that is 12 yrs old, I like the offering of a 3.9 without the supersharger. Still, hp and torque go well together. For a few thou less you can have the 3.5 with 211 HP. I had a chance to get a 3.5 in a base LS Impala. The Import version of the V6 starts at $5k more in a Honda or Toyota. If it takes 170 Hp for a 4cyc to be worthy, what's wrong with a 211 hp 6?
    But this, along with the lack of the Accord's presence in the 10 Best award, prove the Malibu is a worthy competitor in this crowded market.
  • savethelandsavetheland Member Posts: 671
    What 10 Best award do you mean? Accord is in C&D 10 Best award as usual along with Malibu. Accord is a big car with same if not better mpg than Malibu and it is what American public want exactly. But I assume that Malibu is better car for enthusiasts while Accord is typical family sedan. I can predict that this year Accord will relegate Camry to 2nd place as a most popular car. Malibu has a chance to be #3.

Regarding Camry taking lead in MT test - it is a sham. Just take camry away - and malibu becomes #1. MT simply cannot acknowledge mistake they made by choosing Camry 2006 COTY. They are trying to justify their mistake but saying that "Oh camry is sooo goood...". LOL, What, Camry?? What they are smoking.

And this year they choose Tundra as the truck of the year. May be Toyota has secret charm over MT - I don't know. Who knows how desperate MT is. Older Malibu also was MT COTY - how you can trust MT after that?
  • luvmybuluvmybu Member Posts: 1
    The GM factories shut down for a couple weeks for the holidays and then resume production, so you should see more in your area soon. Also, at the dealership that I purchased my 2008 Malibu (traded in my 2004 LS V6) there were only 3. They had more but those were sold on paper .. people have been buying them on paper before they even see them. My father sold me mine so I know that this is true.

I love mine. However, I'm a 24 year old newly wed without children. My husband is 6'0'' but never sits in the back (since it's just the two of us) and there is a difference in feel of the 4 cyl and 6 cyl that I had, but the difference feels slight. Only from a stop can I really tell. It just take a little longer to get up to speed. Other than that, it's perfect for my lifestyle. :shades:
    I can predict that this year Accord will relegate Camry to 2nd place as a most popular car. Malibu has a chance to be #3.

Oh I doubt that. Honda doesn't bargain. And Camry sales are up.

What 10 Best award do you mean?

MY fault. I meant Automobile magazine's 10 Allstars of 2008.

Accord is a big car with same if not better mpg than Malibu and it is what American public want exactly.

That's to be seen.

Regarding Camry taking lead in MT test - it is a sham. Just take camry away - and malibu becomes #1. MT simply cannot acknowledge mistake they made by choosing Camry 2006 COTY. They are trying to justify their mistake but saying that "Oh camry is sooo goood...". LOL, What, Camry?? What they are smoking.

No- these cars racked fair and square. Camry '07 coty? Also fair game. Seems someone is a bit biased toward Honda (actually hugely biased).

What are they smoking? I don't know "Save the Land". And Tundra lost TOTY last year to the good 'ole American Chevy Silverado.

I realize that you think the Accord is a very respectable sedan, but it is incorrect to think that it is superior to any other marque. It is no better than the Malibu- or Camry for that matter. They are all competitors, and now that GM has stepped it's game up, the playing feild is level.
  • scortchscortch Member Posts: 41
    I love the new looks of the '08 models. I think Chevy has a big hit on their hands. They are very comfortable and I love the options. They drive very nicely, even the 2.4L one. I wish more of the Chevy cars had the pedal adjuster.
  • scortchscortch Member Posts: 41
    Also, if you think the Malibu interior feels cramped, you might try out the Impala. It feels a lot roomier.
  • dodgeman07dodgeman07 Member Posts: 574
    I'm not sure where the "10 cubic feet smaller" info is coming from but it's way off.

The new 'Bu is 4 cubic feet smaller in interior volume and most of that comes from the lower roofline.
    http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm

I listed a whole slew of cars (I think on this thread). The EPA lists the Malibu as 95 cubic feet, smaller than an Elantra. I own an Optima (not exactly the largest) it's listed at 104 cubic feet. My other car (a Malibu Maxx is 106), on the large side but only a foot bigger than a Sonata (or Accord). So maybe 10 is stretching it but at least eight would be a conservative estimate.

In the new 'Bu's defense, since most of the lost space is headroom and the Optima has tons of headroom the actual usable lost space isn't that much. Who cares if you have four inches or two inches over the top of your head?

However, the last gen. Malibu (even the non-Maxx) with its smaller tumblehome was exceptionally ugly but exceptionally spacious. The new Malibu has exchanged (mostly backseat) space for style. If you don't have people in the back it doesn't make much difference.
    I used the EPA to recheck interior space. Without building a spreadsheet, it looks like the Hondas and Hyunkias are larger than Fusions, Camrys, etc. so I'll back up my original statement of ten feet, to six cubic feet. Most of the competition seems to come in slightly over 100 cubic feet. I still stand by the fact that the new 'Bu has gone from one of the most roomy to (as far as I can find) smallest mid-size car. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing. It's certainly larger than the typical mid sizer of a decade ago.
  • mr215mr215 Member Posts: 89
    as stated, its all about the headroom. The old Malibu had an upright greenhouse that allowed generous headroom even though the wheelbase was shorter. The new car is big enough for most people.
  • ls6454ls6454 Member Posts: 11
    I took my 2007 Malibu LS in today for the 12000 mile service. I still have not had any problems or complaints with the car. Gas mileage remains over 32 MPG. While waiting I went in the showroom to look at the 2008 Malibu. I think it is a nice car, but the rear seat area was much smaller than my 2007. The model in the showroom was a loaded LTZ, the sticker price was over $28000. The LS model goes for over $19000 I was told. I baught my 2007 LS in June and with incentives paid a little over $15000.
    The main reason I bought the 2007 was price, fuel economy and interior room, so with the price increase, less interior space and I believe less MPG, I consider the 07 to be a better value and a more appropriate car for me.
    I dont think the old Malibu ever stickered for $15k so I assume thats what you paid after incentives and negotiations. The new car cost more but has more standard equipment including XM radio and Onstar with turn by turn nav. The old Malibu SS was about $27k with sunroof so the new car is realistically priced considering it has more power, 6 speed auto, paddle shifters, LED lights, 8 way seat, better interior, etc. Also, I dont think the new car has much less interior room than the old one. The gap is pretty small.
    My 2007 stickered for about$18000, but I purchased it for $15000 with incentives and negotiations, a 2008 LS stickers for over$19000, at this time with quanities limited, prices paid are close to sticker. I still feel for basic transportation , I prefer the 2007 Malibu, the 2008 is more stylish, but the rear seat and head room were sacrificed for style.
    Just my opinion
    The 2007 is a better value for the money at the time of purchase and more practical with more usable rear head and leg room. The 2008 is much better looking and nicer to drive. Much more sound insulation and refinement on the 2008.
    The 2007 has unfortunate and dowdy/frumpy exterior styling combined with cheap interior, but is OK plain A to B carpool transportation. Tall carpoolers will prefer the backseat of the 2007. The driver will prefer the 2008 and the 2008 will retain more of it's value at resale time.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    A reporter from a national newswire is looking to speak to consumers who have purchased the new 2008 Chevrolet Malibu. Please provide your daytime contact info (phone number) to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Monday, January 14, 2008.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• gm2008gm2008 Member Posts: 1
    So what is the interior space on the 2008 Malibu? Edmunds has it as 97.7 cuft. The EPA website has it at 95 cuft. Since the Prius has 96cuft, can they claim more space or not?
  • man2marsman2mars Member Posts: 3
    I just picked up my new 2008 LS Malibu today. Very nice looking car. A little small inside - cockpit design and the seats are contoured on the sides, so I'm still trying to find a comfortable sitting position. You have to pull yourself out as well. Of course, I've been driving a 2003 Silverado and a 2006 Sienna for the past few years. So getting used to a car again will take some getting used to. Never had OnStar before, so the free first year is pretty cool. Used the turn by turn navigation today and it worked fantastic. Although, I doubt if I really will use it much. I bought the car to get me to and from work - 48 miles each way and after 15 years, I think I know how to get there. Anxious to see what gas mileage I will get. I test drove the Malibu, Corolla, Accord, Civic and a Sonata. Both the Malibu and the Accord were very similar in drive. Malibu was 19,500 and the Accord was 22,400. With the recent GM mailer that topped my GM earnings at 2,035, it wasn't a difficult choice to get the Malibu - at about 17,500. Another dealer up the road had the same car at 19,351 but I decided to stay local this time. I'll let you know how the mileage goes.
    Congratulations on your new car, keep us updated.
  • rebatechamprebatechamp Member Posts: 8
    What colors did you get?
  • man2marsman2mars Member Posts: 3
    Exterior is Imperial Blue Metallic with Titanium Custom Cloth
    Malibu
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    Congrats!

We (well, mom, truthfully) moved from an '04 Suburban to an '08 Malibu 2LT, and really haven't been too overly shocked with the size difference. Legroom and seating comfort are all great, in reality, just things like the very high and short side windows that are a little odd inside at first.

She wanted one regardless...but wasn't that January GM card bonus just a REALLY nice treat, to put on a Malibu ;)
  • 40yearfan40yearfan Member Posts: 102
    2015 Buick Encore Leather Edition
    2014 Buick Enclave Premium Edition
  • 40yearfan40yearfan Member Posts: 102
    Sorry about that first one. I need to learn how to post pictures on here.
    2015 Buick Encore Leather Edition
    2014 Buick Enclave Premium Edition
  • nymaxxnymaxx Member Posts: 30
    This car is beyond flawless. Beyond the basics of having a stiff, rugged frame and a Caddy drivetrain, I dare to say this car has style and panache. The cocoa/cashmere leather interior compares favorably with my '02 Audi A4 3.0 (V6), even the fake wood is tasteful and appealing.

I can find no flaws, even tiny ones, and am continually delighted in finding small touches, such as the way the doors stay open at various positions, the headlights turn on with the wipers (never had a car that did that before), the dimming/heated side mirror, the tiny lights in the door handles....

I have gone through 4 cars since '02, an A4 (quirky electrical system, couldn't find a comfortable driving position), a Prizm (cheap and sloppy, I couldn't stand it), a Malibu Maxx (very comfortable but it was leased), '05 Accord Hybrid (driving position too high, car had persistent rattles).

The '08 LTZ is JUST RIGHT. All the best attributes from my other cars but none of the drawbacks!
    It has lots of cool features, but there a few more they could add that GM has access to (such as heated washer fluid to melt ice and clean bugs better.)
    Bluetooth should be coming in 2009.
    Unfortunately we don't get the latest as described here.

The radio pictured above is not the Malibu LTZ radio. We don't get the nice graphic display, or the "soft keys" for RPT, PRVW or CNCL. Too bad, those would be nice to have.

All we get on our currently shipping Malibus is a text display of the next turn. It isn't that good.

Bottom line - I don't feel compelled to renew the "directions and connections" but rather use a portable GPS like the iQue or Nuvi.

Also, MapQuest is not (yet) available to us either.
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    "Sorry -- we have no Malibu's". That was the constant refrain last weekend as we went shopping for the 2008 Malibu in the Boston area. So what gives?

If the car is so popular why can't GM crank up production, or are deliberately keeping supplies tight so as to artificially maintain high prices. Then again, GM would not want rush production and jeopardize quality. So what is a guy to do in the mean time? Wait for ever....nonetheless; GM has a nice problem on its hands.
    my understanding is that they have increased production recently so I think you will see an improvement soon. There is no way GM is intentionally holding back production when they need this car to do well. I cant see the shortages lasting into the spring time. I have seen 6 or 7 on the road so far.
  • mickeyrommickeyrom Member Posts: 936
    I too have seen a few on the road,but honestly I just dont see what the hype is all about.It looks very much like the previous model.Maybe the interior is nicer,but the general appearance is not that special.
    it looks little like the old car and it looks best in LTZ trim with the chrome accents. The base models are attractive but dont have the same upscale look as the LTZ. The "hype" on this car is about its styling, handling, interior design and value. I dont see what the hype is about regarding the 2008 Accord which looks like a mix between the Sonata and 5 series and yet many in the media are swooning over that car.
    The new Malibu has great fundamentals, very nice touches and, subjectively, great looks. It is a very significant step for Detroit.

As an example, the 3.6 V6 with 6 speed auto is bolt for bolt out of the Cadillac CTS. This aluminum motor, like the fabled North Star, is capable of running at lower speeds with no engine coolant. It is known as the GM High Feature V6 (LY7). Also, unlike many foreign competitors, it uses a timing chain, not a belt, to reduce maintenance and improve reliability.

Many, many features and touches put this car closer to modern luxury cars than to previous gen Chevys.

Take one out for a spin and see for yourself.
  • golfnut5golfnut5 Member Posts: 202
    I don't see what the hype is all about either. I have seen a few on the road and I think looks like a Chevrolet. The ad in print and TV make the Malibu look better than it really is. The gas mileage is not good for a car in this class.
    Order of importance:

Likely worse than average reliability (look at the Saturn Aura).
    Tight backseat for its class. (Rear headroom tight even without moonroof.)
    V6 gas mileage not that great even compared to other V6s (Camry/Accord etc.)
    Oversized turning radius makes U turns and parking more difficult than necessary.
    4-speed automatic transmission on a newly designed midsized car. Only LTZ will be getting 6-speed with 4 cylinder anytime soon).
    No rear center armrest.
    Very narrow trunk opening.
    No bluetooth until next year.
    No real nav availability.
    Door panels not as nice as rest of interior.
    Exterior styling.
    Interior looks (other than LTZ)
    Quietness.
    Ride.
    Standard XM radio
    Low maintenance schedule
    Standard ambient lighting.
    No cheap hood prop even on 4 cylinder models.
    Free year of OnStar
    Assumed strong A/C compared to Japanese cars.
  • lostwrenchlostwrench Member Posts: 288
    There is no supply problem in my New England state. Each Chevy dealership in my area has them on the lot and last week I saw two on the road. Even one bank in town has one sitting on its front parking lot advertising the financing and the dealership!
    I totally disagree, the car looks as good in person as in the ads. The mileage of the V6 is merely average but the I4 is up there with the camry and accord. Overall the mileage for this car is good. The LTZ 4 model will get 23/31 which is better than Accord or Camry. seems like you just dont like the car since its a Chevy.
    First of all the LTZ gets the 6 speed in April and the LT gets it for 2009 model year. Yes the I-4 currently has a 4 speed but you fail to mention Accord, Camry and Sonata do not offer 6 speeds on their I-4 models. Sonata and Accord dont have a 6 speed period.

Most buyers in this segment wont pay for factory nav. As for BT, you have to get the top trom of the Accord and an expensive tech package on Altima to get this feature so you can rest assured that 75% of those cars do NOT have BT. This indicates that its not a critical feature. The Accord was the 2nd best seller in the midsize segment in 2007 even though the 2007 model had no BT, period.

your assumptions about reliability dont seem to be based on anything. What proof do you have the Aura is unreliable? The backseat is NOT small for this class. In fact the car has more rear legroom than the Altima and its very close to Accord and Camry. The difference is 1 or 2 inches at the most.
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    where are you getting the LTZ as a 4 cylinder....Im only seeing the LTZ offered with the V6.....the other trim LS, 1LT 2LT offer the 4 and with the 2LT you can upgrade to the V6 as an option.......EPA for the 4 Cyl is 22/30 and for the V-6 is 17/26 which is coming from the chevy website......the one down side I have with the new LTZ is the gas mileage.....Im getting better mileage than either of these estimates now in my 04 V-6 Malibu Maxx LT....
    There has been no word on when the LT 4 cylinder will ever get the 6-speed with 4 cylinder.
    I "failed to mention" the Accord and Camry because 5-speed automatic would have have been OK, but for now, there is only 4 speeds available with the 4 cylinder LS and LT until the 6 speed is rolled out for LTZ models.
    The similar Saturn Aura has been ranked as below average reliability: http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/2007-Saturn-Aura/Reliability/

The back seat of the Malibu is cramped for it's size class. Even if the numbers measured between a 2008 Accord and a 2008 Malibu are only a few inches less, you really notice it when you sit in back.
    If the Altima is smaller, then the Altima is that much more cramped.

Who said BT and Nav was "critical?" I ranked them in priority order with bluetooth and nav near the bottom. However, for a newly released car it's expected to be available even if it's only available on the upper trim levels. The 2007 Accord was based on a design that was released in the year 2002, so bluetooth was rare in those days. The Malibu was recently released and bluetooth is no longer rare.
    All the mainstream competition, Camry, Accord etc. have factory bluetooth available. The Accord has been criticized for needing nav to get factory bluetooth, so that isn't completely satisfactory for many. Even the Ford Fusion now has nav and bluetooth available, not to mention bluetooth being available on some low end cars like the Nissan Versa hatchback.
    Since the Malibu will finally get bluetooth in 2009, at that point it will be a moot point, but for now, bluetooth is mute for the Malibu.
  • lostwrenchlostwrench Member Posts: 288
    The LTZ cannot be had with a 4 cyl engine.
    LTZ 4 cylinder is coming in spring with a 6 speed automatic. There is no date when the LT 4 cylinder will get the six speed.
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    there is no 4 cylinder available for the LTZ at the moment so your statement about an LTZ 4 cylinder is confusing....it only comes with the V-6, and I dont see it being offered with a 4 cyl engine even with the option of 6 spd trans....where are you seeing this information....I havent seen anything where the other trim levels that offer the 4 cyl are going to get the 6 spd trans.......
  • mickeyrommickeyrom Member Posts: 936
    Maybe they should consider offering the 4 cyl in their LTZ model.Some people like a top of the line car with economy.In the 2008 model year Hyundai is now offering a 2.4 or a 3.3 V6 with the top of the line Sonata.It used to called an LTD,not sure what they call it now.
    There will be a 4 cylinder LTZ coming IN SPRING 2008. I said spring in the previous posts, so I don't see why it was confusing.
    This has already been announced for the LTZ, but no time frame has been given for the other 4 cylinder models.
    You cannot buy it today, but it will be available before summer. Chevy will not put it on their Malibu web page until it is closer to being available.
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    "There is no supply problem in my New England state."

lostwrench,--- what is the name of the dealership? If it is close by in RI or NH we would certainly go for a test drive. Do tell.