Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008-2009 Chevrolet Malibu

Comments

• paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    depending on your route you will hit them on NY...GW Bridge, NJ Turnpike, DE Memorial Bridge, and I beleive one in MD headed south...somwhere around $15-20....you have more going back north.....in MD and DE so would say $20-25....on the return trip....if I remember them all

changing oil is a personal choice...I always change the first after 1000 miles..since the car already has 1600 on it and past the break in period...doesnt hurt....to go ahead and change....I have then used the Oil Life Monitor....and changed every 6000 miles or so.....I switched to full synthetic at 30K in my 04 Malibu Maxx.....and average changes around 6500 miles...now have over 124K on the car...without a problem....

I would set your tire pressures to the recommendation on the label on the inside of the drivers door frame....
  • sidewinderzsidewinderz Member Posts: 49
    bryan
    Did you go thru a car buying service for that $500 over dealer invoice or did you just worked out a "Deal"
    My employer has a GM discount service BUT the price is only $500 off the sticker based upon the GM Supplier Discount website
    :(
    I may try using the Costco auto buying service to see what the difference is .
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    Thanks pao for your detailed and thoughtful response; I truly appreciate that. Now, I am going to put OnStar to good use. I hope they don't assess a surcharge for overuse.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    I'm haven't looked at this for the Malibu, but there are now many cars where the manufacturer specifically say do not change the factory-filled oil ahead of their recommended schedule because it has special additives that will not do the job properly if you flush it out prematurely.
    You should probably check before you jump to change the first oil way early.
  • tenngaltenngal Member Posts: 1
    I have about 1500 miles on my new Malibu and am interested in hearing what you all have to say about the 1st oil change. I was just waiting for the system to tell me when it was time.

I am a little disappointed in my mpg.......did not realize that my average speed was only 30 mph........

Still love the car! Golden Pewter, LS.........I think I got the best car for the money spent.
    You should probably check the manual, call the dealer and/or call Chevrolet customer service to find out if they are any warnings or recommendations about changing the factory-filled oil long before the scheduled time.
    The "change the oil at 500 or 1000 miles to get metal shavings out" thing is usually not needed on modern cars.
    Some car manufacturers expressly say "Don't do that!" because not allowing the factory break-in oil to do what it was designed to do is harmful.
  • lostwrenchlostwrench Member Posts: 288
    No tolls in R.I. and Ct. No toll on the NY George Washington Bridge when going southbound. Your first toll will be on the N.J. Turnpike.
  • g6leaserg6leaser Member Posts: 160
    I have just about 1,000 on my Malibu - and getting about 23.5 to 24 mpg's - have done mostly city/suburb driving with 1 or 2 extended highway trips thrown in - seems to perform well-above my expectations - ride quality / ride noise / just pure ride excitement in this car has been amazing....

First oil change comming up and I know what to expect - small metal "chips" in the filter and oil - still that's probably the case with any new car you're breaking in...

Wondering if the 2009s will integrate XM with OnStar....
  • bryanbryan Member Posts: 198
    Hi sidewinderz: This Rehoboth Beach Delaware GM dealership recently changed ownership, and instituted a one-price no haggle policy--$500 over invoice for most cars; $750 over for high-end (Corvette) and the large SUVs and trucks I believe. No changes in personnel; I've been dealing with them for seven years or so, and this will be my fifth new car from the same salesman since 2003. It's nice that the same technician services my cars each time.

I did see where a poster somewhere in these Malibu forums paid $200 over dealer invoice for an '08 2LT that was swapped in from another dealer, IIRC. I remember the person's forum handle as beach???; I believe he's in the Virginia Beach, VA area.

I ordered my car on March 21 as I wanted everything but the sunroof and the 6-cylinder engine. Could not find one anywhere on the east coast in my preferred color combo, as most 2LTs had the sunroof and the 6-cylinder engine. I was in no hurry for the car, and my order did not count against their regular Malibu allocation. Since the order, GM instituted a $1000 loyalty bonus for those of us who own a '99 or later model GM. Um, I have four right now! Wonder if I can get the rebate quadrupled??? ;) Anyway, that bonus was a nice surprise.

Good luck and let us know what you end up buying.
    I spoke with my Chevy dealer service manager today and he said that the first oil change should be at 3,000 miles. He said if it will make me feel better I can change it sooner but there is no benefit. Zilch!

The service manager was extremely pleasant. I asked him about the small metal chips often found in the oil and filter during the break-in period. He said that was a thing of the past that is why it is unnecessary to change the oil after the first 500-mile break-in. By the way, he said the original oil is the same as the replacement oil with so special engine additives.

One more thing, he said they have had zero issues with the new Malibu so far. That is indeed encouraging news.
  • ljgbjgljgbjg Member Posts: 374
    No tolls GWB Southbound, NJ Turnpike ($6.45 each way), Delaware Memorial Bridge ($3.00 westbound), I-95 in Delaware ($4.00 each way), GWB Northbound ($8.00 cash, discount with EZ Pass). Batlimore Harbor Tunnel ($2.00 each way)..
  • ljgbjgljgbjg Member Posts: 374
    "depending on your route you will hit them on NY...GW Bridge, NJ Turnpike, DE Memorial Bridge, and I beleive one in MD headed south...somwhere around $15-20....you have more going back north.....in MD and DE so would say $20-25....on the return trip....if I remember them all"

You know your tolls! About $35 round trip.
  • roho1roho1 Member Posts: 318
    I thought this was about the new Malibu?

I think there are plenty of travel web sites that discuss route planning.
    http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080418/gm_plant_strikes.html

I wonder if they will ever get the Malibu to ship in high numbers?
    Ever time you turn around, there is another problem holding up shipments.

I wonder if they will even get 50,000 of the first model year out the factory doors?
  • busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    Let 'em strike!

Management stupidity plus labor stupidity does not equal intelligence!

Go ahead...send those jobs out of the country, then whine and complain about how you have been mistreated!

IDIOTS!
  • kplacerkplacer Member Posts: 97
    I was at my local dealer today and they have about 40 on the lot so their supply seems adequate. I am starting to see these on the road more often so they are getting out into consumers hands.

A lot of the Malibus I see are painted dark grey metallic and I have to say that is a very unattractive color on this car -- actually, it is a very unattrative color period, unlike some of GMs other gray metallics. Meanwhile I have yet to see one painted white, which I think would look good on this car.
  • roho1roho1 Member Posts: 318
    flash, UAW boosts Camry sales!
    Yesterday the temp was warm enough in Boston to try the AC. But alas, it only blew warm air. I read the manual, changed the settings but that made no difference---all I got was warm air.

Curiously, the engine didn't behave like the AC was engaged. In other words none of the traditional "strain" of the signs of a harder working engine when the compressor is on. I will take it to the dealer tomorrow to hear their verdict.

This is the first reportable I’ve had so far in an otherwise flawless car.
    I test drove a Toyota Camry LE and Hybrid this weekend, then I immediately drove a Malibu LS along part of the same route.
    I slightly preferred the way the Malibu LS drove. It was slightly smoother and quieter, yet at the same time, it still handled better around the curves.

Here is a 6 minute Malibu LS video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=781RajEcM4E
  • jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    I bought one of the two (both LTZs at the time) my dealership had on the lot back in March. Mine is the red with cocoa / cashmere interior, the other was white with the ebony / red brick. I've seen that one and a white LS rental on the roads locally in the past week, along with a gray LT.
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    http://media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayServlet?target=http://image.emerald.gm.com/gm- - news/viewpressreldetail.do?domain=12&docid=45278

A variety of efficient powertrain combinations gives Malibu customers choices that all return excellent fuel economy, including a new four-cylinder/six-speed automatic transmission combination that was recently added to the lineup. It uses the powerful 2.4L Ecotec engine paired with a specially calibrated six-speed automatic to deliver EPA-estimated mileage of 22 in the city and 32 on the highway. That’s better highway mileage than Accord or Camry.
    I notice they state percentage points of sales increase, but avoid saying hard numbers. If the 2008 sales were really poor, percent increases don't mean much.
    If a very large dealershop sells 3 week now when they only sold 1 a week the year before, that's a 200% increase in sales.

It's the same 32 mpg highway mileage as the 2009 Sonata with their new engine and new 5-speed automatic, but at least it's still the best available.

It is only available for the very few 2008 LTZ 4 cylinders they will have time to manufacture between now and June. After that, the 6-speed will be optional on the 2009 4 cylinder LTs and standard on the LTZs that will be built when the factory switches over to 2009 production later in June.
  • minivanguyminivanguy Member Posts: 85
    I'm 6"3 and I fit pretty good in my 08 camry(front and backseats) . I don't think it should be that much of a difference in the 08 Malibu. I like the new look of the Malibu. I guess on the 09's Chevy will add door handles and a rear armrest to an already fine piece of craftsmanship :D
    Why post what you think about the head room if you never sat it the Malibu? A Camry and a Malibu are different cars and the Malibu has less interior roorm.
    There is no reason guess that about the armrest and door handles. Those things are not going to be added for 2009.
    I guess my comments wasn't taken too well :confuse: . I sat in alot of vehicles, for instance the 08 Avalon "in my opinion" is no real difference than the 08 camry in head space. I actually drove the 08 Avalon. As for the armrest and door handles, I stand corrected on that. I didn't mean any harm or try to mislead anyone by my post. :surprise:
  • mazda6dudemazda6dude Member Posts: 283
    Just for discussion and opinions. I have read that for 2009 the Chevy Malibu with get a 6 speed automatic for 4 cylinder LTZ model and it will be a option for the LT1 and LT2 models. Would this affect the resale value of the 2008's that have the 4 speed automatic with 4 cylinder?
    One would think since there will be a 6 speed autobox available for the 4 cylinder model, people would more likely buy that then the 4 speed automatic. For people that have bought the 4 speed automatic's, they will have to compete against the 6 speed automatic 4 cylinder models when they try to sell their malibu's in the future.
    What do you all think?
    Well after 3 days the dealer has not yet fixed the AC problem. The service manager said they found “metal filings” in the compressor which is causing the AC to blow warm air. Needless to say, we are very upset and disappointed since they do not have the compressor in stock and cannot find any locally. However, they said they had located one a GM dealership in NJ and it will not arrive until Friday.

After singing the praises of the Malibu for two months I am beginning to wonder about its reliability. I am also nervous about their mechanics who might not necessarily do a good replacing the defective compressor. Wish me luck folks.
    You have every right to be upset, but give Chevy a chance to fix it. My 08 camry use to shutter when I slowed down to a stop, and do the same thing when I traveled over 40mph. My toyota dealer changed the front rotors and breakpads, and now I really feel the lexus like ride. :shades:
  • kplacerkplacer Member Posts: 97
    What happened, did you trade it in for a Lexus after they fixed it? ;)
    kplacer, sadly, it hasn't been fixed yet and probably not before Friday. Tomorrow I will get a loaner (probably a Hyundai Sonata). We were planning to go on a long distance trip this weekend to take advantage of OnStar but I am not sure if the car will be ready then. What a bummer!
    The salesman told me it was just another rebadged lexus ES 330. That liar, liar pants on fire :mad:
  • chris80233chris80233 Member Posts: 4
    I'm seriously considering buying the 2008 Malibu, so I rented one for a few days last week. It was an LS base version and I was very impressed with the car. I do a lot of driving at night , and I loved the interior ambient lighting and illuminated door handles, very cool looking. However, I noticed that the rear doors don't have the illuminated door handles, plus the power window switches aren't lit up either (the front doors are). Can any 2008 Malibu owners tell me if this is the case on their cars also, or is it just on the lower-end trims? And any news if Chevy will fix this with the 2009 models?
  • jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    Nope. The lighting you've noticed is the same on the LTZs, and isn't changed for 09.
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    I for one never buy a car based on resale value.....I drive most of my autos till a resale value is a mute point...meaning 100-150K miles before I even start considering a new car.....125K on my 04 Maxx LT now...105K on KIA Sorento.....

I honestly dont think the transmission 4 vs 6 on a 4 cyl will make that much difference if any on resale value..between an 08 and 09 MY Malibu
  • bryanbryan Member Posts: 198
    Got the call a couple of hours ago that my special ordered 2LT Malibu is in transit. I ordered this car on March 21. The window sticker was posted this morning on the dealership's internet site, so I was able to print out the sticker. I hope to have the car by May 2. WooHoo--looking forward to my new 'Bu.
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    Congrats! Always an exciting time!

Just like our dealer swap 2LT (what I like to call an "instant order", hah), which was swapped in a matter of a day, and I was able to print the window sticker off the site that same night--the anticipation is the best part. Hope it's perfect! Ours has been, for 3 months and 4k miles.
    Just completed a 928-mile round trip from Boston to Maryland/Virginia in our 2008 Malibu LS. Got to say it was a lonely feeling because there were no other Malibus on the road. Not one! There were plenty of Camry's though and many drivers came up to get a closer look at our Malibu.

Nonetheless, the ride was extremely pleasant. The ride was firm, yet supple and compliant. The handling was confident and purposeful. In short, the car went where it was pointed.

Moreover, there was absolutely no wind noise and the cabin was cathedral quiet. As a matter of fact we had a three-way phone conversation (on the OnStar hands-free phone) with our daughters in Hawaii and Atlanta which was as clear as a bell.

The driver’s bucket seat was a real surprise. It felt as comfortable as a tailored suit. (By the way one of the best decisions we ever made was to put in after-market leather on the LS---that leather is Oh so soft and supple.) On such a long drive, we felt absolutely no fatigue. The steering was true and on center and visibility was very good from the driver’s side mirror but not so from the rearview mirror. The high back end obscures visibility a bit. There were no rattles or squeaks of any kind and OnStar and the XM radio performed flawlessly except in tunnels.

In the final analysis we drove 928.3 highway miles and averaged 27.7 mpg at an average speed of 53 mph. Although most of our driving was between 70 and 80 mph that mileage suffered considerably upon entering the George Washington Bridge in New York. If there is someone out there trying to decide on a midsize sedan I would highly recommend the Malibu.
  • rw08maliburw08malibu Member Posts: 8
    Just yesterday, I purchased a slightly "used" (2,700 miles) 2008 Malibu LT that has the Factory Chevy Malibu 18 inch polished LTZ rims. I was told that this was a demo car, which made sense, because it has never been never titled, and I bought it at the Chevy's dealership's used car lot. A Car fax report confirmed this. Since the LT package does not come from the factory with these rims and tires, I am assuming that original 17 inch tires and rims were removed at some point. I love the look of the shiny rims. However, since I bought this car mainly because of the fuel economy potential, I am now concerned that these tires and rims will have a negative effect on my 4 cylinder's MPG rating. Also, since the car's factory sticker located near the driver's rocker panel clearly shows 225/50 17 tires & wheels were on it from the factory, I am now worried that my odometer will be giving me readings on MPH and MPG that are not correct. Does anyone know: 1) if the larger 18 inch tires and rims will give me less fuel economy vs the normal LT 17 inchers, and 2) does Chevy at the factory level calibrate the odometer specifically differently for the 17 inch and 18 inch tires? If so, then maybe I should have my local Chevy dealership calibrate my odometer. Any and all advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  • sidewinderzsidewinderz Member Posts: 49
    Great to hear ! You've broken away from the every day drum beat of TOYOTA -HONDAs passing by. Looking to purchase a LS next month .....OH.... What a Feeling ,LOL :)
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    Personally I love owning something different. Camcords are about as interesting as watching paint dry. Chevy finally has a great top notch sedan that competes not as the best American choice but a serious and real alternative.

I just hope Japanese car owners will give it a shot, far to many people who won't walk into a Chevy dealer and that's just wrong.
    You neglected to list the tire pecs of the 18" wheels.

Usually, the increased wheel size is offset by a lower ratio tire, giving the outside diameter the same dimension. If that is the case, then technically there is no difference, and assuming the same weight between the 2 wheel types, there shouldn't be a noticable difference in MPG or speedo accuracy.

Hope that helps...
    The ride gets a bit bumpier though because these thinner tires provide less cushioning to the road. They usually end up having lower tread life also and cost more, so replacements will get expensive over time.
    Thanks for your reply. The tire specs of the 18" wheels are 225/50 18, and the car had 225/50 17 from the factory. Any advice is appreciated.
    The tire specs of the 18" wheels are 225/50 18, and the car had 225/50 17 from the factory.

That's a potential issue...The 225 is the width of the tire in Millimeters, and the 50 is the % ratio of width to height. So, with no other modofications, expect the speedo to be off a bit.
    I guess I should visit my local dealer to see if they can re-calibrate my odometer. Any guess on fuel mileage differences between the two wheel sizes, given that the tire specs are the same?
    Try this before going to the dealer...have someone ride with you in the car and get on the interstate highway. As you travel down the highway, have the passenger tell you exactly when you pass a mile marker...note the mileage on the odometer. Travel a few miles, I suggest 5, and when you reach the 5th mile marker, repeat the process. Note the odometer readings at the beginning and the end, and write them down.

Now, do this 4 or 5 times to have several samples.

Now you have enough information to tell you how "off" the odometer actually is, as well as calculate the speed differential between actual speed at, say 60 mph .vs. what is shown on the spedometer.

Be aware, though, that it isn't unusual for new cars with everything original to have a variance. The last GM vehicle I had (2005 Aveo) was actually 5-6 mph off at 60 mph. I read several comments about that on the Aveo, but I have no idea how widespread it is on other vehicles, other than I do know it is fairly common.

To answer your original question, you can take this information with you to the dealer to help substantiate your complaint, assuming you find a significant difference between actual and reported mileage. I don't think there is an accurate way to estimate the mpg difference, other than trying the same vehicle, driver, and location using both sets of wheels/tires .
    Duly noted, and many thanks.
    You cannot count on mile markers being 100% accurate. Some were measured using old trucks that may not have been totally precise at the time.
  • mazda6dudemazda6dude Member Posts: 283
    Does anyone know what is RPM on a 4 cylinder Malibu model at 65-70MPH? Thanks.
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    I've seen this on a random LT too, that was used.

That said...yes...your speedo, odometer, etc. are all going to be off. Using this calculator:

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

There's an overall jump in diameter from the 225/50/17 to 225/50/18 (of course, as the wheel size is larger but the tire width & aspect ratio are the same), going from 25.85in to 26.85in, and effectively throwing off the speedo/odo to be 3.872% slow (or read 57.7 when going 60).

The way around this is to reprogram the main computer for the new, larger tire size, but that would require the dealer and their Tech 2 tool. Given that they offer 17" and 18" accessory wheels for the Malibu, regardless of model, the dealer should have the capacity to do this in the case that someone did want 18's on their LT. The difference is relatively big and needs to be taken care of, if they didn't already once the 18's were swapped on.