Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer

Comments

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    glistening in the Arizona sun.

Note the dark window tinting...that window tinting really helps block a lot of the Arizona sunglare that we have to deal with here if we are heading right into the sun. It's not so bad if you're heading another direction but this window tinting helps cut down on that bright glare quite a bit. We're glad we got our Lancer GTS with it. This new Lancer is tight and drives sure through twisties and straight-ahead highway truck traversing. It's a real comfortable car to drive..because of the excellent engineering and planning that Mitsubishi put into it.

An excellent engineering job by Mitsubishi, I must say.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• that_treethat_tree Member Posts: 2
    How are you liking the CVT so far, if your model has it? How is the stereo?

Also, did you buy (or look at) any accessories? I'm very interested in this car in ES trim, mostly because of all the standard features but also because of accessories like Bluetooth and that interesting-looking trunk cargo divider.
    and paddle shifting is funner than I thought it would be. I was going to get a manual tranny in my GTS but bought the automatic CVT so my wife can drive the car. Also it enables my son to drive the car, too. The paddle shifting works great and there's no clutch pedal to move down.

There is a great footrest built to the left to place your left foot while driving that's built perfectly.

The 650 watt Rockford Fosgate stereo works great and the boombox really booms it out. I have not even started to turn this stereo up as loud as it could go...it sounds great at about 36 or 38 or 40. Th CD player and FM and AM all work well. We got a 6 month introductory Sirius radio tryout. So far it is proving to be really nice because there's no commercials.

So far the Lancer GTS is getting about 30mpg on the highway and about 23mpg in the city and is a really comfortable car to cruise down the freeway in. The car's body design is awesome and the car is comfortable and the window tinting is blocking that bright Arizona sun-glare. Happy as clams with our '08 Lancer GTS.

• sky23213sky23213 Member Posts: 300
    Congratulations on your new car!!!
    Now you may start posting under a different name :P

I read all your postings in the Lancer08 related threads, and I might say your excitement is getting contagious. Just like another poster (Backy ?) we're about an year from replacing one of our cars, but the Lancer looks really nice and I've added it to the list... trouble...trouble :D
    I'm happy to consider Mitsu again since we're very happy with our '01 Galant, and my wife really likes the ride. She doesn't want to hear about a Hyundai, though the new Sonatas are quite good. Still, with at least an year away, I'm looking at the new Outlander, Outback, Sonata, Accord. I have to narrow it down, basically deciding if we would go for something with AWD for those days when the snow hits(which, contrary to popular belief are getting fewer and farther in between here), or just stick to the most comfortable commuter. We'll see...
    And a question for you, if I may: where's the '08 Lancer assembled, and where are the engine and the transmission made?
    Thank you, and congrats again!
    here's some information about the 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer. Mitsubishi installs the new 2.0L DOHC MIVEC 4 cyl "world" engine, developed by Mitsubishi, Hyundai and Daimler-Chrysler in its 2008 Lancer models. The engine is named 4B11. It has an available 153 hp producing 146 ft/lb of torque to the wheels.

The CVT automatic transmission has 6 speeds changed by paddle shifter at the steering wheel. The CVT is made by Jatco and it's code name is F1CJA. Mitsubishi also offers the Lancer for 2008 in 5-speed manual transmission mode. The 5-speed is made by Aisin.

The 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer is made in Mitsu's Mizushima plant at Okazaki, Aichi, Japan.

I don't believe that Mitsubishi is selling the GS and DL models with the 6-speed CVT paddle shifter tranny setup, that's exclusive to the GTS model. I think this car would be awesome in the automatic tranny mode(regular stick on the console type)or the 5-speed.

The car is a ball to drive and I am constantly looking for opportunities to take a drive in it! Good fortune to you sky23213...I have only good things to say about this car so far!

• that_treethat_tree Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info, iluv. Now I really want to test-drive a Lancer soon.

I'm curious about whether they are already shipping the PZEV engine to Pennsylvania. We're supposed to be getting California emissions on model year 2008 cars, but I'm not sure whether that kicks in with the car's own model year or some standard date. For me the PZEV emissions would be a positive, but I imagine some would want the higher HP.
    I would ask your Mitsubishi dealer or ask them for a regional representative from Mitsubishi that should know that type of information.

I didn't know the extra-emissions control engine was going back east like that. See what you can find out.

• electrobuffelectrobuff Member Posts: 3
    I purchased my 2008 Lancer GTS 2.0L 4cyl. CVT, in Graphite Gray Pearl on Mar 26, 2008. Hands down, even the salesmen at the dealership said this is the best looking color on the Lancer. I was the first one in the entire city of Las Vegas, NV too purchase one. They just hit the showroom the day before. Pound for Pound the Lancer GTS CVT crushes Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, ScionTC, Chevy Colbalt, Acura NSX. This is a no brainer, get the :shades: Sun & Sound package and the Navigation for about 2500-3000 more. You will be kicking yourself if you don't. :cry: The 650watt Rockford Fosgate's bass is so deep it sounds like two little men underneath your car with jack hammers ;) The Paddle Shifters are like driving a mid-engine exotic sport car. You would look hard and wide to find these shifter on any car under $50,000 maybe $60,000. The ride is tight and with 18" 9 spoke alloyed rims the ride is smooth as silk. The body style is so new and crisp I am getting flagged constantly and asked what is that you are driving. ;) Kudos to Mitsubishi.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    You would look hard and wide to find these shifter on any car under $50,000 maybe $60,000.

The Fit Sport AT has paddle shifters; costs a lot less than $50k. :)
  • shado4shado4 Member Posts: 287
    I'm curious about whether they are already shipping the PZEV engine to Pennsylvania. We're supposed to be getting California emissions on model year 2008 cars, but I'm not sure whether that kicks in with the car's own model year or some standard date. For me the PZEV emissions would be a positive, but I imagine some would want the higher HP.

According to the PA government website the switch to California emissions is based on the model year. So the new Lancer will have the PZEV engine with 9 fewer horsepower when it is sold in Pennsylvania.

I've left messages with 2 of the regional dealers asking for a test drive but no one has got them in yet. Anyone from Pennsylvania seen an 08 Lancer?
  • electrobuffelectrobuff Member Posts: 3
    Fit Sport AT? what is a Fit Sport AT? But the point is there are vehicles costing 3 times as much as the Lancer and don't offer Paddle Shifters, Sound System, and world class Navigation that the Lancer offers. ;)
    What is a Fit Sport AT? It's a Fit Sport with an automatic transmission--which has paddle shifters.

I don't know of too many $50-60k cars these days that don't offer world-class nav systems and killer sound systems--plus a lot more. As for paddle shifters, these $50-60k cars more than likely have an automatic transmission that would put the Lancer's to shame. As they should, for the bucks.

I'm glad you love your Lancer. But it's not the Best Car on the Planet--except maybe in your eyes. :)
  • rcpaxrcpax Member Posts: 580
    But it should be in its class. Best is a broad term, and everyone has his own definition of what's "best".
    Sure. For some folks, whatever car they just bought is the "best"--even better than cars 3 times its cost. ;)

I think the Lancer is a very nice small car. But I don't know that it's the "best" car for me.
    Took delivery of a 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS in Graphite Gray today, literally a couple of hours after it came off the truck. Was a real fluke...went in looking for a brochure and to see if they had any new Lancers in stock. Sales guy had nothing and didn't know when the 08 Lancers would arrive. I gave him my phone number and left. 30 minutes later he calls and says "Guess what just showed up!" They got 2 new Lancers, the GTS I bought and an ES in the same color. Went in for a test drive and was sold. While I was waiting to sign the papers, several other potential buyers came by to look at the GTS, only to be told that it had already been sold to me. Judging by the amount of interest the Lancer generated, I think Mitsu has a hit on their hands.

Got the CVT and the Sun and Sound Package. What a beautiful car! The 18" wheels are killer. I traded in a 2002 Hyundai Elantra GT.

Still absorbing all the stuff the Lancer has to offer. Love the paddle shifters and the sound system. Still need to pair my Bluetooth phone with the car. Too much info in the manual to read in one night.

Gotta stop and eat something now. Hope to have pictures posted soon!
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    What feature will this model have. I assume this is the mid level model from where they'll generate most of their sales. Also assuming it will have a 205/55/16 wheel package, as this has become the standard on this sized car. Both our Civic and Mazda3 have this combo and it makes for a very smooth ride.

The Sandman :)
    The ES, which I drove, has 16" alloys standard, and also ABS with 4-wheel discs (not standard on the DE). A nice feature available on the ES is Bluetooth.
    But I don't know that it's the "best" car for me

Judging by your post, I don't think you'd find it best too. But I don't know if you can name a better car with all the features and options for a lesser price.
    congrats on your new Lancer! My wife and I love our new Lancer GTS with the Sun and Sound Package, too.

On a recent 40 mile trip to a neighboring town I averaged 37.2 mpg...we have the CVT tranny. It's open desert with a long downhill run into Safford. It just goes on and on downhill slightly a little at a time. The engine could just coast a lot. Pretty happy with the results!

This car is absolutely beautiful and the suspension is taut and strong.

I also love the 18" wheels-they look great with the sporty style of the new Lancer. Congratulations again!

Now we have the Lancer's anti-theft package activated. Gives us a little chirp as we walk away!

Congrats on your red Lancer GTS, too!

I spent the day "personalizing" my Lancer, pairing my Bluetooth phone with the car (works flawlessly), reprogramming the answer-back chirp for the anti-theft system like you did, activating the Sirius satellite radio, programming my favorite stations. This car has so much "wow" stuff for the price.

Drove around town today and got lots of stares, especially at stoplights. Went back to the dealership to have my picture taken with the car and everybody came outside to take a closer look!

Still fooling around with the multi-display information screen. One thing that needs to be turned on is the service interval indicator. I think the dealership forgot to activate it during their PDI last night since all it says in the display is OFF. Everything else in the display (trip meters, remaining fuel, average speed, average mpg, water temp, etc.) is working perfectly.

Can't believe how much I enjoy the paddle shifters! The car is rock solid, no rattles or squeaks of any kind. I've discovered the joy of driving again, taking corners at faster speeds than I could in my Elantra.

Haven't been paying any attention to fuel mileage yet. Just enjoying the car and breaking it in. Like I said before, I think Mitsubishi has a hit on their hands with the new Lancer.
    the sales manager where I bought mine thinks that this '08 Lancer will be the car that turns Mitsubishi's fortunes around in the U.S. I had a hard time disagreeing with him!

The car handles great and there are no squeaks, rattles or shakes of any kind. And the RF 650-watt stereo is primo! :D

Which trim level/features/options did you have in mind?
    2008 from Mitsubishi I was gonna buy one of the lower two trim levels, but, I was really starting to dig the idea of the sunroof and the 650-watt Rockford Fosgate stereo. The leather-wrapped steering wheel, upgraded braking system and cool extra's included in the top 'o the line GTS. For just a few thou more I could have this, yes.

One particular day rockylee made the comment to me that I would really be sorry if I got a lower trim level and passed on that Sun and Sound package. I started looking at the price($1,500 more for the Sun and Sound)and realized that I did have to have those features. It is our only car and I'm not paying cash for it...thank goodness for financing...and I am sure glad I did...this car is sporty and another thing I really liked from early pictures of the car was the bodykit and spoiler and those awesome Seattle SuperSonic 10-spoke wheels that come with the GTS model.

I'm lovin' the '08 Mitsu Lancer GTS! I'm thinking of changing my Edmunds nickname...hosts, is this a feasible thing for me? Of course it's do-able, right? :blush: What's my mechanism for getting that done?

• lmfdjtikolmfdjtiko Member Posts: 2
    on the mitsubishi site it say Horsepower @ RPM (Fed./Cal.)* 152/143 @ 6000
    so does that mean in CA they have a different engine that have a lower Hp or its a different calculation between states?

and does the GTS alrdy include the sun and sound package?

any1 bought a GTS lower than the MSRP?
    Here you go. Sorry for the poor quality; taken with a camera phone.

This car rocks! Having a blast driving it.

image1

image2

image3

image4
    on the mitsubishi site it say Horsepower RPM (Fed./Cal.)* 152/143 6000
    so does that mean in CA they have a different engine that have a lower Hp or its a different calculation between states?

and does the GTS alrdy include the sun and sound package?

any1 bought a GTS lower than the MSRP?

Same engine, different emissions regulations resulting in lower horsepower for the California certified Lancers.

Sun and Sound Package is $1500 extra on the GTS.

Yes. ;)
    Let's try the Lancer GTS CVT with Sun and Sound and Navi packages. Pick any Japanese or European car in its class that can offer as much feature for less than 22,615 MSRP.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You can request a username change by emailing Karen, our Community Manager (karen AT edmunds.com). If it can be done, she's the one who can make it happen. Be careful with what you choose for a new one, though. She might do it for you one time, but you can't keep changing it after that. Technically (according to the MA), we're all supposed to keep one name, period. :)
    Probably the closest fit to the GTS CVT when limited to Japanese and European cars is the Mazda3s Sport AT with moonroof, SAB/SAC, and 6-CD audio, Edmunds TMV $19,631. Which leaves about $3000 for a really good navi system and 18" wheel/tire upgrade.

If you expand your horizons to other lands, one option with a lot of value is the Elantra Limited AT with Sun & Sound package, and leather interior (which the GTS doesn't have). Edmunds TMV on that is $18,612, leaving about $4000 for upgrades you might want like navi and larger wheels/tires.

Now, if you must have all of the equipment on the Lancer GTS CVT, e.g. you gotta have a CVT, factory navi, and factory 18" wheels, then I agree the Lancer is the best value right now.
  • rjlaerorjlaero Member Posts: 659
    I just saw the GTS in person and it's one sharp looking car. I can't wait to see what the EVO X looks like. I think the new lancer is one of the best looking cars in it's class.
    Update: I forgot about the Sentra SE-R, which is even a closer match for the GTS CVT because the Sentra has a CVT. It also has a Fosgate audio system available. With the CVT, Fosgate audio, and moonroof, Edmunds TMV is $21,025, which provides a nice allowance for a navi system (excellent units available under $1000). It doesn't have 18" wheels, but it does have more power than the Lancer (177 hp).
    The Sentra SE-R also has paddle shifters like the Lancer GTS. The SE-R was on my short list until I saw the new Lancer.

I just couldn't get past the awkward (IMO) styling of the Sentra. The regular Sentra looks like a lump of used soap, the SE-R looks like a lump of used soap with a spoiler. That and you can't get steering wheel audio controls for the SE-R. You can get them in the Sentra SL, but not the SE-R. What's up with that? Also, no independent rear suspension in the Sentra.

I paid $20,115 (including shipping and handling but before sales tax) for my 08 Lancer GTS with Sun and Sound Package ($500 under MSRP). Considering it's a brand new car that's been out less than a month I think I was fortunate to get any discount.
    All these prices you refer to are Edmunds TMV values when I gave you the actual MSRP as price reference to the 08 Lancer GTS. TMV is actually several hundred $$ lower than MSRP, so I don't think that would be a good price to use. Maybe you can do the math again using advertised MSRP on these vehicles you mentioned, then we'll see it more clearly. ;)
    If you want to pay MSRP for every car you buy, go right ahead. As for me (and many other people), we like to take advantage of rebates, and discounts offered by dealers. Hence the use of the Edmunds TMV numbers. :)
    You were doing an unfair comparison. That's my point. Now where's the math? You try to compare the 08 Lancer GTS at MSRP with other vehicles using TMV prices? :surprise: Truth is, you can't find an import car that offers so much for so little price, but I guess you just won't admit that.
    No, it was a fair comparison. I compared the Lancer at TMV to other cars' TMVs. You were the one who wanted to make an unrealistic comparison--using MSRPs vs. real-world purchase prices. You also wanted to limit the comparison to only European and Japanese makes. Why is that? What is "fair" about that?

The MSRP for the Lancer GTS CVT with the equipment you specified is $22,615. The TMV in my area is $22,469. Not a big difference.

Truth is, you can't find an import car that offers so much for so little price, but I guess you just won't admit that.

No, I won't admit it because I don't think it's true. I listed 3 import cars that I think offer excellent value compared to the Lancer. I think the closest comparison is the Sentra SE-R with CVT, moonroof and Fosgate sound system. Its MSRP is $21,525--nearly $1100 less than the Lancer. There's a $500 rebate on the SE-R now, so it's about $1600 less than the Lancer. Add a nice nav system to the Sentra, and it's still less than the Lancer.

I think that constitutes "finding an impurt car that offers so much for so little price."
    2007 Nissan SE-R

MSRP: 22,215 At this price, you don't have Navigation and 18" wheels. The 08 Lancer has rebates too, a total of 1000$ if you're qualified. Tell me now if you can add a Navigation and an 18" alloy wheel upgrade for just 400$.

Compare how the Nissan Sentra look vs the Lancer 08. Now, I don't know if you can put a pricetag on that. :shades:

"a bar of soap" is indeed a fitting description :D
  • spmrebelspmrebel Member Posts: 130
    I totally agree. The Lancer GTS to me is the best looking compact out there now. Has a lot of styling cue of the Lexus IS 250/350 and some of the previous gen BMW. I think Mitsubishi hit a home run with this car.
    07 Elantra, in any form, is no match for Lancer GTS. GTS is a sporty compact. It has higher engine output, more torque, sport tuned suspension with cross member, bigger rotors (almost 12"), wider tires which will make is corner better. In addition, it has CVT, paddle shifters, navigation and automatic climate control. All of which Hyundai doesn't offer in the Elantra.

A better comparison for Elantra would be the ES model.
    Wow. When seeing a pciture of the Sentra next to a Lancer the Sentra looks so homely. The Lancer GTS may very well be my next car. This is one great looking compact.

Agreed, that they is no way anyone can add navigation and 18" rims for $400.00.

When I got my 05 Elantra GT 2 years ago I added 17" rims and tires (215-45-R17) for $900. I just put in a dual din navigation unit into my GT six weeks ago for $1400 (I got a special. Also, an in dash navigation may not even be able to fit inside a Sentra.
    Why did you add bodyside moldings to the Sentra but not to the Lancer? I don't see moldings on the Lancer. You mentioned "fairness" earlier?

Speaking of fairness, what is fair about including in the pricing discussion rebates that are available only for select groups of people, e.g. people who already own a Mitsubishi or college grads or those in the military? The $500 rebate I included on the Sentra is available to ANYONE who buys a Sentra. There is also a $500 college grad rebate available on the Sentra; I didn't mention it before because not everyone qualifies for it.

Good navi systems are available for less than $300. Add one to the Sentra SE-R, and considering all generally-available rebates it's still hundreds less than a Lancer GTS (plus I can move the navi system to any car).

True, the Sentra doesn't have 18" wheels, but 17" wheels. However, the Sentra has a 177 hp engine while the Lancer has only 153. What is the additional cost of dropping a 177 hp engine into the Lancer? ;)

Looks are subjective. I happen to like the looks of the Lancer better than the Sentra's. But I've seen posts raving about how great the Sentra looks. To each his own on styling.
    Don't forget that the navigation system in the Lancer is also a music server with a hard disc drive that you can rip songs to directly from a CD. The Lancer nav unit also includes audio/visual inputs and has the capability to play video on its screen when the car is parked.

A $300 nav unit added to the Sentra won't be able to do the same.
    Yes, I can see that the Lancer would appeal to those who are buying a car more for its electronic toys than for its performance. For example, I can't figure out the usefulness of playing videos while a car is parked, but then again I don't spend much time in my car when it's parked.

How much does that engine upgrade on the Lancer cost again?
    How much would it cost to add auto climate control and steering wheel audio controls to the Sentra SE-R? How about Bluetooth? How about a folding rear seat? How about an independent rear suspension? How about a driver's knee airbag?

Anyone looking for performance from a Sentra should be looking at the SE-R Spec V.

Anyone looking for performance from a Lancer may have to wait for the Ralliart version, or better yet, the Evolution X.

I didn't buy my Lancer for performance. I bought it because it gave me the most for my money in a package I could live with on a day-to-day basis. That and the styling simply blew me away. IMO much nicer than a Sentra.
    Um, adding steering wheel audio controls and Bluetooth to the SE-R doesn't cost anything... they are standard.

I agree that the SE-R Spec V is the real performance variant of the Spectra line, with its 6-speed stick shift and 200 hp. But even though the Spec V, with an aftermarket navi system, still costs a little less than the Lancer GTS, it's really in a different category--with the Mazdaspeed3, VW GTI, and WRX. And the Evo, when it returns.
    Um, adding steering wheel audio controls and Bluetooth to the SE-R doesn't cost anything... they are standard.

Check again. Per Nissan's website, steering wheel audio controls and Bluetooth are NOT available on the SE-R. They are on the Sentra SL, but not the SE-R.
    It's difficult to know who to believe. Edmunds.com says those features are standard on the SE-R. I've seen errors on equipment on manufacturer's web sites before. Or Edmunds.com could be in error.
    I'd be more inclined to believe the manufacturer since every single picture I've seen of the interior of the SE-R shows a steering wheel with no audio or bluetooth controls. You get an additional gauge pack and paddle shifters for the CVT transmission, but the audio and bluetooth controls found on the Sentra SL are conspicuously absent on the SE-R:

The only buttons on the steering wheel are for the cruise control.
    Visual evidence!

How about those extra gauges on the center console? Does the Lancer have those? Looks kind of like a robot looking sideways. :)
    Mitsubishi Lancer over the Nissan Sentra(beside the obvious stellar good looks of the Lancer)is the Mitsubishi Warranty. They offer a Hyundai-Kia similar 10 year and 100,000 mile Warranty on the powertrain. What is the great Nissan Warranty, let me guess, I don't care enough to go Nissan.com to look it up...3 years and 36,000 miles, eh?

Nothing in the Nissan lineup(including the 350Z)comes close to the Lancer GTS for looks, Warranty and value. Build quality, I don't buy Nissan's nor do I waste much time reading about them, but I doubt the build quality of a Nissan rivals Mitsubishi's.

Just a few hours of Internet research pulled up lots of proud Mitsubishi racing heritage that gets translated into their production car building process. This Lancer GTS is tight and does not rattle, squeak or make any annoying noises at all. A bargain for what you get IMHO.