Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sienna Engine Problems

13»

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Only 2GR rebuild I've seen here...

Ask for a 100k warranty on the powertrain. Seems reasonable to me.

A friend got a new trans on her Ford and they did that for her (for free).
  • afrmthabayafrmthabay Member Posts: 1
    I got a 2011 Toyota Sienna SE and had an engine leak at 15,000 and they tried to fix it twice but did not. They just ordered me a new block.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I guess thats good, keep us posted?
  • capitalfederalcapitalfederal Member Posts: 11
    I agree with you, Toyota just does not care, I have had the same problem from Toyota that they just say that is the way it is. Mine is a problem of piston slap. They still sell lots of cars so its a matter of getting the word out that their product is not as good as it was in the past and their customer service is a customer diservice. Good luck with your problem and for me too, my Toyota Sienna 2010 is the last Toyota I buy and so far I have dicouraged
    6 friends to buy another make.
  • capitalfederalcapitalfederal Member Posts: 11
    Yes I have the same problem.
    I have a 2010 Sienna and it now has 75,000 miles on it. At 5,000 miles it developed this noice of loud clicking when engine is cold. Toyota Headquarters USA says its Piston Slap and that it is normal. In other words if its normal then they must design it to be this way. The designers of Toyota do not seem very bright to me if you make a engine with Piston slap problems. This is the last Toyota I buy.
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    Guys, I'm not a great fan of Toyota (as ateixeira will attest to!), but here's the deal.

I find the oil leaks and engine failures from either blown VVTi lines or the tow package oil cooler to be an unacceptable situation. ACM (polyacrylate) was not a wise choice for oil contaminated with blowby gases and acids. Depending on the application and timing, the switch to either fluorinated rubber or all steel was the right thing to do. However, knowing it was a flawed move, the warranty against failure and engine damage should have been extended. Talking to people with blown engines at 75k miles just stinks.

Piston slap? No big deal, IMHO. The 2GR-FE engine is a prime example of a modern, high specific output mill utilizing short piston skirts, and piston slap is unfortunately part of the package. If it goes away in 5-8 minutes of driving, it not destructive. It's just noise. If it doesn't go away once the engine heats up, then I'd agree, keep on them. Both my Sienna and my Subaru clatter richly for the first few minutes. It is the new normal.
  • twinkiss1216twinkiss1216 Member Posts: 1
    hello my name is jeannette and i am going trough the same situation as you and my van has only 66,xxx.xx on it and i got the warranty that will expired in 7/20015 but they don't want to cover it. they said my van got like that because the oil change was never done on it. about the service bulletin where can i find out about it and can you please let me know if they helped you or not. thanks