Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Solara Audio Systems

13»

Comments

• acep51acep51 Member Posts: 6
    I did have it wrong blozano, and thanks for the info. I will replace it.
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    acep51, can you post that picture? Looks like a few people here could make use of it. :D

ClaireS, Host
    Automotive News & Views | Coupes & Convertibles

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

How do you post a photo here?
    edited September 2012
    Most people link to a photo at a photo hosting/sharing site like photobucket.

To get an image to show up in a post here, you just click the "img" button while writing a post. It'll insert the first part of the code tag needed to display the photo.

Then, paste the link to your photo, and click the "img" button again to insert the last bit of code. Once you post your message, the photo should show up.

Thanks, and let me know if you have any problems.

ClaireS, Host

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

As I stated before, my radio replaced less than a year ago by my dealer under warranty. I had the switch replaced by the dealer yesterday. The radio still cuts out for a moment before completely opening, but the radio is playing fine. The sound seems to be louder coming from the radio from its usual setting. Hope it stays this way. I thought that radio cutting out for a moment before opening was part of the switch problem, but apparently not.
    Hope it stays this way.
  • blozanoblozano Member Posts: 23
    I do recall radion has slight cut off when you initially put top down.
  • sundog13sundog13 Member Posts: 1
    I want to thank all of you folks for helping me find the problem with my 08 Solara convertible
    radio/CD player cutting on and off while trying to listen to it. It was the switch behind the right rear interior pannel, by right rear tire that was causing the problem. When I was at the dealer today to purchase a new $20.00 switch, the parts man asked if my car was a convertible, and I said it is. He said they have replaced a lot of those... but wasn't aware of any recall. He didn't even need a part number to find it on the shelf.. Works great, no problem replacing and thank you all again for the SUPER input and advice I read on this site. I think Toyota should own up to this problem and replace at their cost.
  • barbnizerbarbnizer Member Posts: 1
    This forum just saved me a bundle. I took car to audio guy who wanted to pull radio and amp to see what was bad- cost me $80.00 to tell me he wanted to send it out after "testing" it. Found this forum and took printout to local radio/detailing guy and he said "sure, I'll pull the switch for you and replace if you want after you see if it fixes the problem". Guess what? It fixed it! He charged me $60.00 which included cleaning the oxidation off my headlights. I called Toyota dealer who said "must be the radio". Wonder how many radios and amps have been replaced only to have the problem still be there? Thanks to all who wrote on here. I was shocked when I googled my problem and came directly to Edmunds forum.
  • pinche_gringopinche_gringo Member Posts: 2
    Dealer replaced my radio over a year ago for this problem.
    My radio is now out of warrantee. The dealer service department never heard of this switch.
    What is the part name/number ? Where can i get one ?
    Yes, easy fix. Do you know when you put down rag top. You hear hesitation in radio volume when top is almost in full down position. This rag top engages switch which provides more power to your radio amp to provide better sound to compensate for road noise. When switch is deffective, sound on radio will surge up and down.

Sit in back seat passenger side. Remove panel which is on top which is below rear window, same panel where seat belt goes into panel at top. You will need to remove #2 phillips screws which hold panel in place. Screws are hiding behind seat belt front cover where belt goes down in panel, under cup holder which allows arm rest cover to lift off and one more right on left side of head rest in corner. Remove panel. You will see switch which is in verticle position. Remove switch with torx screw driver. (2-screws) You will need to purchase switch qty-1 p/n: 84231-06010 switch 2008 price approx. $22.00 and go ahead and purchase some new panel clips, qty-4 p/n: 75868-06020 $2.00 each. Note: remove two washers which are under old switch and place under new switch. Reverse assembly with everything.

If for any reason you want to by-pass switch, just unplug switch. Radio will still work in standard mode. The amp sound will not increase in performance when top is down and sound will not be as sharp. This will allow you to save some money if budget for new switch is not available..
  • ekfinchekfinch Member Posts: 4
    Do anyone know what this switch is called. I am having the same problem and I can't get the part number to work on the TOyota parts site.

Thanks
    Keith Finch
    I can send you picture of Toyoata packaging. Do you have direct e-mail address.
    Could you just leave the switch out altogether? The radio sounds better with the amplifier on. Could you just take the switch out and solder the wires together ???

Keith Finch
    Could you just leave the switch out. Solder the wires together. The radio sounds better with the amplifier.

Keith Finch
    ekfinch47@gmail.com

Could I just bypass the switch and leave the amplifier on all the time. THe radio sounds better with the amp on. It is funny, most of the forums with Toyota answers don't mention this switch. Radio replacement or amp replacement is their solution.
  • capeflyercapeflyer Member Posts: 7
    Post #22 this thread:

If for any reason you want to by-pass switch, just unplug switch. Radio will still work in standard mode. The amp sound will not increase in performance when top is down and sound will not be as sharp. This will allow you to save some money if budget for new switch is not available..

Helps to do some reading before asking questions which have been asked and answered....
  • jhnptbrgjhnptbrg Member Posts: 4
    This is a really helpful post, and it sounds like a fix even I can do, but your description of the panel doesn't look like what I see in my 2005 Solara conv. - might this be different than the way the panel is attached in the model you described (what year was that)? Anyway, I saw a few comments re posting a pic of the panel and how to remove it, but I didn't see that - do you know if it was posted some where? If not, is there a source for a maintenance manual that illustrates how to remove this panel in in '05 Solara?
    Hi, jhnptbrg,

blozano's Solara is a 2005 model too. If you go back a little further, he posted some other details about the fix, but nobody's posted any photos yet.

ClaireS, Host

I'm a real novice, working on my 2005 Solara convertible, and I tried to follow these directions, but didn't succeed. I found the three screws mentioned, removed them, but the panel wasn't loose, and I was concerned re trying to force it, in case I might break something and have a real problem.

After giving up the first time, I decided to let the dealer do it, but they wanted $200 for the job. Since the description seems simpler than that, and I didn't want to invest that much in the fix, I thought I'd check back here for more info.

I was really confused re why to remove the screw in the bottom of the cup holder, as there seem to be three or four separate(?) panels: (1) a dark gray one on top (through which the seat belts retract), (2) a light gray one below that (which has a courtesy light in in), (3) the cup holder, and (4) below that, one which has a speaker. Is that all just a single piece? If not, which of those come off together once those 3 screws are removed?

Also, you mentioned purchasing some new panel clips, but didn't mention were these were and why to replace them - are they broken/damaged when the panel is removed?

Glad to get any advice you can share (including "forget it, you're clueless, let a pro do it"), and would be especially glad to get a link to a schematic for the removal of the panel, to make sure I'm understanding the directions correctly...

Thanks in advance!
    :confuse: ">
    I learned that all Toyota svc & repair manuals and bulletins are available at techinfo.toyota.com. I found what I needed there ($15 for 2-day access), and even though Toyota and another mechanic wanted 2 hrs to do the job, I was able to do it in 45 mins, thanks in part to your forum. I really appreciate your help!

:)
    Thanks for the tip, jhnptbrg!

ClaireS, Host

• danielp0623danielp0623 Member Posts: 1
    I have had this problem for 2 years as well on my 2005 Solara. Finally took it to Toyota today before reading any of this, and this is exactly what I told them was wrong. They had no idea what I was talking about, suggested replacing the radio at a local radio store as they don't work on radios. Seriously??? Wow. They are idiots.

I then decided to read the internet and see what I could find, and of course, many of you have the same problem. I have ordered the parts you mentioned, and will plan on installing them myself. Thank you so much for posting this solution. I have serious concerns about service reps at a car dealership that have no idea how to diagnose an issue, even when you tell them exactly what is wrong. I told them there was a switch that boosts the audio when you put the top down, and you always here the audio cut in and out. Now it does that ALL THE TIME, so the switch has gone bad. They said there is no switch at first. When I picked the car up, they said yes there is a switch but it worked for us, never cut out.

God they are idiots. Oh well. I'll save myself the money in doing it myself for a total of about 30 bucks. I will let you know how it works out, but thanks so much as I have contemplated selling the car just because I am so tired of not being able to listen to anything.
  • cashkycashky Member Posts: 1
    could you also send me the info. i have the same problem and any pictures would be great also Thanks

crashky@live.com
    Hi, cashky,

blozano posted the fix a few times uptopic -- you can find a detailed explanation here:
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f101569/112#MSG112

jhnptbrg posted details about accessing the manual here if you're having trouble finding the switch:
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f101569/122#MSG122

(and we're still waiting to hear how danielp0623 made out.)

ClaireS, Host

• rdkingrdking Member Posts: 12
    I'm getting ready to try the fix myself on my wife's 2008 SLE convertible. I don't think I will have any problem finding the switch once the panel is removed. I am concerned about removing the panel though. I haven't read anything that tells me how to remove the panel once I have removed the three retaining screws. Do you just pull the panel toward you or do you lift the panel up toward the rear window? I don't want to damage the panel so I'm a little hesitant to go into this without first knowing exactly how the panel is removed.
    I would post the graphics if I could figure out how to do that, but haven't yet.

Instructions say:

"using a screwdriver (with tip taped) disengage the 3 claws and 4 clips and remove the panel upper"

then

"using a screwdriver, disengage the 5 clips and remove the [lower] panel"

My memory is that I pulled the panel away from the side of the car first, then lifted it upwards...but I was being gentle for the same fear you voiced, and am not exactly sure of the directions of tugs that freed the panel - mine took some pressure/force, but didn't require "ripping" it away.

Good luck!
    Thanks, jhnptbrg. I'm assuming that the 3 claws referenced are at the top of the panel and thus would require the panel to be slid upward. Also, I was not aware that the lower panel had to be removed to perform the switch change. Hopefully, my fears of doing this will prove unwarranted in the end.
    If you have photos, you can post them here by uploading them to a hosting site like tinypic or photobucket.

Then, make your image show up in a post by using the IMG button to post a link to the photo.

ClaireS, Host

• impala2002impala2002 Member Posts: 7
    Having the same problem - 2007 Solara convertible XLE. Haven't tackled the problem as yet but when researching, ran into a couple of interesting links. Posting for the benefit of others and my benefit when I get around to tackling it.

First link is about some XM radio install but it gives some diagrams of the things to do for removing some of the panels (e.g. see page 4). The whole install as described is an overkill for this fix but parts of the description/procedure should be useful.

http://www.trdsparks.com/install/PT546-06061inst.pdf

The other link is the you tube video where the guy is showing what to disconnect in order to make the switch inoperable. Based on the description of the fix that I have read in this forum, this guy might have overdone it with seat removals etc. to drum up more business for him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XIw_EmWdyM

If anybody has more pictures of their own effort to add to this forum, it would be very much appreciated.

Bimal
  • bigd308bigd308 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2013
    After 2 trips to the village idiots at the Toyota dealer and being told that 1) they couldn't duplicate the problem, but 2) if I wanted to pay them $100 they would do further evaluations., I left in discust.
    Thanks to this forum, you nailed the problem and I fixed it in an hour. Right now, I only disconnected the switch but I may go ahead and replace the switch.
    For those of you who are hesitant to get involved in removing the panels, it is easy. Just take it slow so you don't break any clips.
    Thanks again.
  • derbydivaderbydiva Member Posts: 1
    I read this thread while sitting at my local Toyota dealership, having the same problem as others, radio at first cutting out when the top was going up or down, then started doing it frequently, and even having the volume or bass seem to boost at times, so I was pretty certain it was that switch.

After waiting for 45 min, I let them know I thought it was the switch, and that's what I wanted replaced. Desk guy said "OK". another 45 min later, still waiting, I go and ask the desk guy- any idea when it will be done? he says they don't know what's wrong with it yet...really? I thought I asked you to replace the switch? "It doesn't have a switch"... I said- I thought you might say that, so here is where it is, and here is the part# (took it from page #13 of this thread) but he comes back to me telling me that part# is for a courtesy switch in the trunk...

He goes back to the tech to tell them to replace whatever switch I'm talking about, but comes back with "there is no switch, we think it's the amplifier" I said I thought they might say that too, and no way am I paying $800 for that when they're not even sure that's what it is...I'm still trying to access pics of the exact location of the switch, my iphone isn't the fastest, but by then they got it buttoned back up and sending me on my way with a "sorry, bring it back when we can spend more time diagnosing it". Why is this so difficult for Toyota to figure out???

So now to decide if I try to fix it- what is the correct part#? Or what is it officially called? Or do I take my laptop in to them and educate them for a nice big bill...stay tuned
    Amazing, switch is easy to change. It is same switch as courtesy switch. I have picture of switch but do not have panel removed and picture of switch in position. Let me know your e-mail.
  • brewski55brewski55 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2013
    https://www.google.com/search?q=84231-06011&client=firefox&hs=TvD&rls=org.mozill- - a:en-US:official&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=ADIWUoyuMcL1iwLaqYCQBw&ved=0CAkQ_A- - UoAQ&biw=1600&bih=1038#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=TG1gZD4J5Dr3OM%3A%3BWPbWPeU_PE1WuM- - %3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.toyotapart.com%252Fmm5%252Fgraphics%252F00000001%252F8- - 4231-06011-Switch-Courtesy-Lamp-1c.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.toyotapart.com%2- - 52F84231-06011.html%3B700%3B700

You need to click on google image after clicking on link to the picture .
    P/N 84231-06011 replace old P/N 84231-06010
    edited August 2013
    Thanks for posting this, brewski! Here's a direct link to the photo of the switch.

ClaireS, Host

After much consternation on my part and the ranting of my wife on the radio fading in and out, I decided to go ahead and try to replace the switch myself. I had ordered the switch and four panel clips some months ago, but have put off replacing it because I just wasn't convinced that I could do the job even though most here say it's not that bad a task.

These are my observations that I think may help anyone else who is considering to attempt the fix themselves. First, after removing the cupholder/armrest, the rear panel comes off in one piece, not two as I inferred from previous posts. Removal of the cupholder/armrest is a piece of cake; one screw under the felt pad in the cupholder and then lift straight up. The three screws that hold the panel onto the car are: 1.underneath the passenger seat belt return slot at the top of the panel (be careful when prying off the cover, it doesn't take a lot of pressure to release it), 2. in the middle of the panel (this one is hidden until you remove the cupholder/armrest), and 3. underneath a small tab located next to the rear passenger side seat belt return slot (at the top of the seat back). It is important to remember which screws go where, they are not the same size; two are short (about 1/2 in.) and two are long (about 1 in.)

Now that you have removed the screws, the panel can be pulled off, but don't be surprised if you break one or two of the clips in the process. I would recommend you order the four clips as suggested by blozano. When I say pull the panel off, I mean pull toward you as you sit in the back seat facing the panel. Ok, we are almost there, but this is one of my biggest frustrations in removing the panel. There is a tab that inserts into a slot at the bottom rear corner of the panel. I had to fish my arm down to the tab and push it through the slot. This is hard to explain but when you start the job, it will be clearer. You may have someone shine a flashlight down behind the panel so you can see it clearly. Once the tab is disengaged from the slot, the panel can be pulled completely out. Remember to unhook the courtesy light wiring harness. You will see it, and it's simply a pinch and pull to disconnect.

The next step is to raise the top about half way. I suggest this because you have more light to see what you're doing and if you are tall like me, the extra room is needed to manuever. I had no trouble locating the switch. Just look for a white wiring harness connector toward the rear of the panel opening. The switch is located just above the white connector. As described by blozano, the switch is held to a bracket by two #20 torx screws. Removing the switch was my second frustration because of the tight quarters you are working in. I had to use a small ratched and torx bit. Luckily I have a motorcycle so I've accumulated a lot of speciality tools over the years. I first tried to use a torx screwdriver, but found that it was too tall to get into the space. If you can find a torx tool like an allen wrench this would also work. Once the switch is removed the wiring harness is disconnected by pinching and pulling apart.

Now you are home free. Everything else goes back in reverse order. Put the new switch in, replace the torx screws, reconnect the wiring harness, and put the panel back on. The only snag I had was dealing with that tab at the bottom of the panel and pushing it back into the slot. It helps to have skinny arms. Don't try to force this. If you are patient and work with it enough it will finally succumb to your pressure and slip into the slot. You may have to replace any broken panel clips and be sure to reattach the courtesy light wiring harness before you snap the panel back into place. Rescrew the three panel screws, put the cupholder/armrest back into place and secure with the screw and replace the felt pad in the cupholder (remember to put the correct length screws back the way they came out). Viola, you're done! I tried the radio by raising and lowering the top several times and drove around the block and everything seems to work fine.

In all, I guess I spent about an hour and fifteen minutes on the job, but now that I've done it and know more about what is involved and what tools I need, I think I could easily do it in 30-45 minutes. I hope this helps those of you who have hesitated to try the fix. It's really not that bad; it just takes some patience and once you start the process, some of the steps that you may have trouble visualizing will become evident.
  • poslusposlus Member Posts: 1
    Thank you so much for your detailed "How To". I bought the part ($25 in stock) and changed it out in less than 1 hour without breaking any of the plastic clips. I typically don't work on cars, but this was an easy repair (as long as you have a Torx screwdriver). This saved me so much money and hassle. Thanks to everyone who posts their knowledge for free. The internet is GREAT!
  • msleximslexi Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2013
    The radio/cd/cassette in my 2005 solara convertable appears to function, but there is absolutely no sound at all. The sound just quit with no warning on my way home the other day. The car has the JBL Premium Audio package with GPS.. I'm wondering whether there might be a reset somewhere, a blown fuse, or perhaps the amp is cooked. Any ideas, suggestions or comments would be appreciated! Could it be the switch that I've read about in so many posts?
  • pinche_gringopinche_gringo Member Posts: 2
    Could you post a close up picture of the part i should disconnect, and how to disconnect it. I think i found it, but i couldn't get it apart. Could i just cut the wires ?
    Here is a link to the part with picture.

http://www.toyotapart.com/84231-06011.html
    Have pictures, please send me your e-mail as I do not know how to upload on tis site.
  • frankccc48frankccc48 Member Posts: 4
    It is definitely the "Curiosity" switch under the panel behind the passenger seat
    Remove the panel as in the instructions in this thread, having a small 3"socket handle set helps because it is a tight space. Removing the wire will leave the amp on all the time, not sure if you want that. Part was about $18 at the dealer rip-off parts counter. Don't forget there is a screw under the cup holder felt you need to remove (felt peels right up). The Switch is in line with the top up/down mechanism and sometimes hard to see. Plenty of light will help you find it. Buy the part first so you know what it looks like. Took me about 30-40 mins to complete the job.
  • shadow_linksshadow_links Member Posts: 2

I have a 2001 Solara SLE Coupe. The radio, no matter the station or strength, always has some static in it. Where should I check for connection issues?

• ownrewardownreward Member Posts: 1

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread. I'm completely mechanically disinclined and I was still able to do the job myself. It wasn't as easy for me as many of you made it seem, but I made it through it with all your help. (I opted simply to disconnect the switch rather than replace it, so I was able to leave out some of the steps.)

So thanks again!

Now all we need to do is figure out why

• shadow_linksshadow_links Member Posts: 2

I've had it for a while now and the static isn't as bad as before. Maybe something jiggled back. I do know that the antenna isn't as strong as others i've driven though.

• KortneyVKortneyV Member Posts: 1
    Like everyone else I had the switch problem in my 06 convertible and just disconnected it. However my other issue wasn’t resolved. When I switch to different mode (from fm to cd, am, tape etc) the quality of sound varies drastically. Anyone have a fix it for me?