Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Explorer Air Conditioner and Heater Problems

cralcral Member Posts: 3
I have a 98 explorer 4.0 xlt SOHC. I have replaced the thermostat, and the heater control valve--both of which were bad. Had the heater core checked and it is ok; good heat going in and out of it. I looked at the blend box and it is operational as to when i go from a/c to heating... I am at a loss any suggestions would be welcomed..

PS the fuse is also good

Thank you
Daren

Comments

• bmr0330bmr0330 Member Posts: 2
    I have a '99 Ford Explorer XLT. When I turn on the AC it will only come out through the top defroster vent onto the front windshield. This just recently started. Any ideas on what I can look at? Thanks. Brian
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Give Ford Explorer: Problems & Solutions a try.

tidester, host
  • bravesman16bravesman16 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem with an 02 eddie bauer, I can push any of the buttons to change the setting for the air and it stays on the the "defrost" vents. I was most curious as to whether or not this system uses the vacuum lines for the air conditioner as the older models do or if this is all controlled by electronics since mine is all a push button control. Intermittenly it will change out of no where and have no idea why. Any help would be appreciated as I have spen an hour already looking through the forum for answers.
  • hbrianhbrian Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a new 06 Ford Explorer XLT 4.6 V8. As I was leaving the lot at 9:30 pm I noticed a noise coming from the front middle of the dash that sounded like an old CD player spinning a disk. The noise starts at about 15 miles per hour and stops only when I slow down below 15 mph. It does not make the noise when I'm in park, even if I rev the engine. I messed around with the stereo and A/C and looked under the hood and cannot find the problem or the source of the noise (as it only happens when I'm driving). Needless to say, I took it to the dealer this morning to have it looked at and two maintenance guys acknowledged the noise then scratched their heads and said they didn't know what it was, but it sounded like some sort of air leak coming from somewhere. Then I overheard them talking and the word solenoid was mentioned. Bottom line is it's going back in the shop and I was warned that it could be a while before I see it again. Any ideas or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
  • sean05sean05 Member Posts: 1
    My 06 is currently in the shop for the same thing. Got a call from the service manager saying that they cannot pin-point or make out any sound at all. Please let me know what your service guys find out.
    :sick:

Sean
  • kaycee1kaycee1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1995 Ford Explorer and a couple of weeks ago when I turned on the fan and set the knob for air flow I noticed the only direction the air will come out is through the defrost. The fan, air condition, and heat are all working but only through the defrost. Is there a way for me to check this out and correct the problem?
  • jackgenzjackgenz Member Posts: 1
    2000 Ford Explorer
    My overhead console air temperature is indicating 32 F when the temperature is 54 F. Does anyone know if this can be adjusted or reset?I don't even know where the sensor is located.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    The sensor is behind the grille in the frontal air flow area, in front of the condensor. It's a plug in, don't know what a new one would cost. But that's likely your problem.
  • dcvedwardsdcvedwards Member Posts: 1
    Hi all. We have 96 Ford Explorer with 4.0/5.0 engine. Man at Advanced Auto parts checked all four posts around heat valve. He said they're all hot. He thinks trouble is with "vent door." I found it behind glove box. The door CLOSES so that I can't see the fan turning when I turn on the heater. Should it be doing this? When the air is turned OFF, the door is left OPEN and I can see the fan blades behind it. The fan works fine. Air is being blown very well, but it will NOT heat up. I asked him about changing thermostat near radiator, but he said that's not the problem. And since all the pipes near heater valve were hot, he doesn't think that's problem either. What to do?
  • cralcral Member Posts: 3
    your blend door is broke, either insert a small rod into the actuator tip so that it turns the blend door or buy a new blend door and install it yourself.
  • steflundsteflund Member Posts: 2
    I am having similar problems with my 04 Ford Explorer. Were you able to get this problem fixed? If so, what was the problem, how did you fix it, cost, etc. Thanks! My rear vents are blowing fine as well, not sure if yours were working or not.
  • ahoronahoron Member Posts: 30
    My girlfriends 98 had the same problem. There is a black ball shaped plastic piece on the pass. side inner fender that has two vacuum lines going to it. I just pulled them off and plugged one in the other that fixed the problem don't know for how long? I believe that it's a storage tank for engine vacuum?
  • explorermomexplorermom Member Posts: 2
    It's freezing where I live and I have no heat because the blower is not sending out any air! I tried to search the forum but need help. The first time it wasn't working, I changed the fuse and it came back on right away. Now it's not working again, I replaced the fuse again but no luck. I am not able to afford to see a mechanic so if there is a simple check or fix (for a woman) I would appreciate any and all advice. Thanks!
  • explorermomexplorermom Member Posts: 2
    Referring to my question above, can anyone please tell me why changing the fuse would work once but did not work again? Please help, it is a 10 below windchill here and I need heat!
  • ahoronahoron Member Posts: 30
    Silly questions time.What year is the truck? Does it have electronic climate control? Was the fuse blown the second time you changed it? Does it send air at any fan speed? Does it work in defrost?
  • ncboldancbolda Member Posts: 2
    temperature guage flys all over. the radiator is hot on the intake side and cold to touch on left no leaks and heater and air works fine. had system flushed and still same problem. 1995 ford explorer sport trac
  • delfinodelfino Member Posts: 1
    My 95 Explorer, auto climate control works only in high air. The options for low and medium speeds don't work. Heat and cold works ok but only with high air. Also when I hit the auto bottom it don't work. Is there a relay I should replace or just the fan?
  • dylanransondylanranson Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 ford explorer limited. My heat and ac have always worked but it seems it only has one setting, extremely hot or extremely cold. A few weeks ago the heat stopped working. I turned on the ac then switched back to heat and it started working again. My heat once again stopped working a few days ago and now I cant get it to work at all, it just blows cold air. Anyone have any clue what might be wrong and how i can fix it?
  • audifordaudiford Member Posts: 2
    It sounds like a solenoid fires every 5 seconds (a loud click). After the loud click it sounds like the compressor engages but only for 1 second and then disengages. Then the cycle starts again. If the climate control knob is not in the A/C position, there is no clicking sound. In any event, the air coming out of the vents is warm. Any help is appreciated.
    Your system is low on refrigerant (R-134a). Soon, it will quit working until you charge it. Get it to a garage pronto, and they'll fix you right up. Probably just needs a couple pounds of R-134.
  • audifordaudiford Member Posts: 2
    OK. I set something up for tomorrow. Thanks for your help.
  • mikelets456mikelets456 Member Posts: 2
    I have an 2002 XLT explorer. When I turn on the air or heat, it works, however the air flow generated by the blower seems very low....even at the highest setting. I can hear the blower roar, but like I said, there is little air or power generated. Any ideas what could be causing this?
    Resolution?
    Give Ford Explorer Maintenance and Repair a try.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • mikelets456mikelets456 Member Posts: 2
    Turns out that I took the blower apart (underneath the glove box) and the inlet was clogged with napkins. They must have got sucked in from the glove box. I cleaned off the inlet screen and now it works like a charm.
    I'm glad you got that resolved!

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • poverlypoverly Member Posts: 1
    My 96 Explorer blows hot air thru all heater modes, all vents work perfect, just hot air all the time. I replaced the diverter valve [[vacuum controlled valve that controls water flow to the engine compartment]. I replaced the control rheostat that is supposed to switch from cool air to hot air. Worked for about 5 seconds. Also the AC does not work. I have a friend with a 98 P.U. with the same problems.
    Help
  • don73don73 Member Posts: 1
    My heater is blowing cold air. Once in a while I can turn on the air and then switch back to heat and it will start working. Any help is appreaciated, thanks...Don
  • blondye36blondye36 Member Posts: 1
    2005 EXPLORER A/C FLUID COLOR I TOOK MY 2005 4X4 EXPLORER TO THE DEALER TODAY. THEY TOLD ME THE "NEON GREEN" FLUID COMING OUT OF A HOSE BEHIND MY REAR PASSENGER TIRE WAS A/C FLUID. I AM ASKING FOR ANOTHER OPINION ON WHAT THE "NEON GREEN FLUID" IS COMING OUT OF MY VEHICLE IS. I LOOKED UNDER THE VEHICLE AND THE FLUID IS COMING OUT WHERE A BRACKET HOLDS THE TUBE TO THE VEHICLE. I HAVE RECEIVED BAD INFO FROM THE DEALER BEFORE.. SO BEFORE SPENDING 1100.00 TO HAVE MY A/C LINE REPLACED I CAME HERE,FOR SOME ADVICE... THANKS
    He could be right. The refrigerant used in the systems now is a neon green so that leak detection is easier. It resembles the green anti-freezes somewhat, but is brighter.
  • streetrodstreetrod Member Posts: 1
    Brian, My 2000 explorer has the same problem. After some trouble shooting I found the problem to be a broken vacuum line between the canister in the passenger front fender. If there is no vacuum getting to the system inside the vehicle the system will only blow out the defrost. The vacuum line comes through the firewall in the passenger side near the antenna wire. Check to see if it is disconnected there as there is a connection and one for the blower motor. I had to take out my inner fender well to find my leak since trouble shooting showed I had a problem from the canister to the inside of the firewall. The vacuum lines are very small in diameter and easy damaged.
  • hwy1southhwy1south Member Posts: 4
    My 99 Limited climate control, when set on automatic, has started blowing only out of the floor, top side vents, and rear unit behind the console. The dash vents are not working, although they are open. For a while, it would work corectly & then stop. Sometimes pushing the stop button & then back to automatic would correct it, but next time it might not. The dash vents would also open & close on their own. Now they will not open at all. Any suggestions will be sincerely appreciated.
  • reddog11reddog11 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Explorer and the same thing just happened to me. The symptoms the same however the cure was different. My problem ended up being a broken peg that attaches to the vacuum solenoid for the flapper in the front vent thing. I followed the red vacuume line to the solenoid which is easy to do if you pull the glove compartment and found that the solenoid was working but nothing was attached to it. I found that the peg that attaches it to the solenoid was missing (later I found it on the floor). I drilled a new hole through the plastic lever and re attached the solenoid with a screw and nut. I used lock tight to keep the nut in place. So far all is working well.
    I took the glove box out & checked the door. Nothing appears to be broken or missing, but the solenoid is not working regardless of which button is engaged on the controls. When on automatic, it's still blowing cold air from the defrost, side top vents (toward the side windows), floor, and rear air. I'm thinking the problem may be a bad switch, because it would be working OK & then airflow from the dash vents would stop, or sometimes turning off the automatic switch & then turning it back on would start it. Wonder what it would cost if the switch is the problem? Would they have to replace the whole unit?
    The problem turned out to be the vacuum line resting against the left side exaust manifold. The heat had sealed the line at the coupling to the extent that it broke when I tried to pull it up to see better. I removed the half of the coupling that the line broke in, pushed the line into the other half, taped them up, & the air once again comes out of the dash vents. I will get another coupling to correctly comlete the repair. The vacuum line is very small, not more than 3/16" outside diameter.
    Regarding previous 7/19 message: Should have said "line resting against RIGHT side exaust manifold".
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    For future reference, after posting, you may edit your post for 30 minutes.
  • bigtrucksdbigtrucksd Member Posts: 1
    I have an 03 Explorer XLT. My wife complained about a knocking sound that only happens when she uses the rear air controls. I removed the blower motor and it was clean. I also noticed that the knocking sound is coming from the duct ing. Any suggestions?
    Pretty common problem. It's the blend door that moves the air from the floor to the roof. It's stuck and the motor is snapping. Unfortunately, Ford has no easy fix for this, and most of us just avoid using the rear air controls, since that is univerally the trigger for this problem.
  • nabrilnabril Member Posts: 1
    2004 Explorer that has A/c issue. The dash vents blow very little air regardless of the fan speed selected. We have to set it on 3 or 4 in order to feel the equivalent of a 1 or 2 in other cars.

When the a/c is set on normal vent, the defrost vents blow a little bit of air out. I have read the posts in the Ford Ranger Maintenance and Repair post, but I am not sure if I can decipher the wording. Sorry, not very car hood literate.
    Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks,
    N
  • moterboatmoterboat Member Posts: 7
    if you have rear a/c then you are looking at ethier a/c dye from a leak on one of your rear a/c componants,or anti freeze from your rear heating in your rear a/c heating unit.if it feels like oil,then its refridgerant dye,if it feels like water,its antifreeze..
  • scoghlanscoghlan Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone. My 95 Explorer Ltd. has developed a glitch where it sends heat constantly. If you adjust the temp setting downward to Max a/c or just above it will turn on the a/c and cool down the hot air, but when it wants to switch off the a/c, the vent is blowing hot, heated air. If I leave it on automatic it will continue to heat the vent air. The only way to stop it from heating the car is to shut it off, or turn on Max a/c. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Scott
  • christine0630christine0630 Member Posts: 1
    My heater is blowing cold air when turned on. I have no clue what it could be. Checked antifreeze levels and seem to be okay and the thermostat was replaced about a year ago. Much appreciated if anybody had any ideas.
  • jblack731jblack731 Member Posts: 1
    My problem started about 2 days ago, & haven't been able to give it a look due to much overtime. My issue is my heater/a/c has gone out & I don't know if it's minor or major. About 78,000 miles on it. When I turn on the heater & try to turn the output from 3 - 4 it gives me a "CLICKING" noise under my glove compartment. The "CLICKING" also occurs near my fuse box on the left hand side drivers door when I turn on the Defrost. The heater turns on occasionally but only after about 40 mins in vehicle. Could it be a heating element? Wiring? Fuse?Hope someone can post this back w/ possible answers in case my troubleshooting does not solve it. Thanks for any insight.
  • gtfd8896gtfd8896 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Explorer. A week or so ago the air flow selection switch will not change to the various functions, defrost, heat to floor etc. Any idea what the problem may be and what cost estimate.
  • montivideomontivideo Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem. I just got the car, so I don't know.
    In other cars I had, it's been a loose vacum hose. I don't know if it's the same for an explorer.
  • harkessharkess Member Posts: 3
    I have the exact same problem. Have just started to trouble shoot. Were you able
    to resolve this issue? If so, help! Thanks for insight.
  • montivideomontivideo Member Posts: 2
    My dealer said it was a broken plastic control rod that moves the vents. It's a take off the dash to fix type repair.
  • tannetttannett Member Posts: 1
    If the clicking is above the driver side back tire i know what it is and how to fix it. Don't know about the front clicking.
    I have a new problem, the direction controller will only blow out on your face. I took out the glove box and can see the problem. The silver arm the goes in and out of the (pressure box?) looks to be disconnected from the black plastic arm that moves to control the vents. Has anyone had this problem?
  • carlgcarlg Member Posts: 1
    my 02 explorer heat-defrost-air would work sometimes, but not always what I wanted. I opened the glove compartment door pulled in on side catchs untill it came open farther.the black plastic arm that went into heater controll box was not in all the way, so I pushed in on it while changing heater from dash vents to defrost, and it slid back in. it lasted for awhile then came back off. so I put it on afew more times, then made a bracket to hold it in. it has worked for about a year so far ! ford wanted over a thousand dollars to fix it
  • javaboysjavaboys Member Posts: 1
    cold air coming from glove box when blower is set to 1 or 2, very little at 3 and gone at 4. Heat is still coming from vents, but doesnt blow as strong as it should. Is this a broke blend door?? Is this something that can be fixed at home without taking to shop?? During the summer months I noticed that the vehicle didnt cool as much but didnt think much. Ther rear heater is working fine.