Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Highlander Tires and Wheels

Comments

• beachfish2beachfish2 Member Posts: 177
    "Michelin has not announced..."

Well, they didn't say they weren't talking about it, planning it or tooling up, just that they haven't announced.

C'mon folks, think positively and keep calling them. :)

John
  • midwestbluesmidwestblues Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2008 Highlander. I think a car costing 41k should have good tires. I was told today that mine needed replacing. My millage is 1900. I have spun out of control just leaving my driveway. Where is the my 4x4 and why doesn't it work!!! I have had bad traction from the beginning. I didn't have this with my last Highlander, but I don't think I'll be getting another one. I'm thinking of selling.
  • worthfloridaworthflorida Member Posts: 23
    Sounds like a letter needs to be written, but selling the Highlander will cost more than a 4 tire replacement.
  • midwestbluesmidwestblues Member Posts: 2
    I know. I was just shocked to find my fully loaded car did not have upgraded tires. It's my family's safety that I worry about.
  • nosdivadnosdivad Member Posts: 14
    I WAS TOLD I HAD THREE BAD TIRES ON 2004 HIGHLANDER LIMITED WITH 37,000 MILES. dealer quoted $520.00 for three and use spare for fourth. for GOODYEAR INTEGRA. opted for four michelin latitude tour [ 65,000 miles] from costco for $800.00 OTD after $70.00 discount.
  • nowlennowlen Member Posts: 35
    The 2004 does not use the problem size tire! You have many more choices on your HL.
  • tooch52tooch52 Member Posts: 1
    New to this forum, I have read through most of the threads regarding this topic, but I am still confused. Same as many of you, my HL came with the crappy Toyo tires. What I'm not sure about is the size. I have P225/70R16 tires. I will be purchasing new tires. Do I need to go with the same size or do you recommend a larger size? I live in Chicago, and I have been slipping and sliding all winter. Never had this issue with my old minivan. Toyota dealer recommends either YokoGeolanders or Michelin LTX. Just Tires has a Goodyear ASsurance comfort Tread at a good price.
    Any thoughts are most appreciated.
  • mama2allymama2ally Member Posts: 23
    you should have MANY more options than those of us with the 19" tires. That is the major problem going on in this thread...there are only 2-3 choices in the 19" tire. one is a snow tire and the other two come on the Highlander and are worthless.
    I WISH I could get a Michelin for my '08 Highlander.
  • stripemanstripeman Member Posts: 2
    Hi, im about to purchase a 2010 highlander down here in New Zealand, with 17' wheels...going to upgrade to 19' wheels, wont be doing any snow driving... (lucky me by the sounds of the previous posts)...only dry/wet roads...any recommendations on tires for these conditions, or will OEM tires be ok....hear bad reports for snow driving, but how are they otherwise....thanks
  • grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    G'day

It would be worth reading back through the posts here and investigating the availability of tyres for the wheels you propose. There are only two tyres (Toyo and Bridgestone) available for the Kluger's 19" wheels and neither of them have received favourable comment on this site, particularly where snow is involved. The availability issue is likely to be worse in New Zealand because of the relatively small market. It is a significant issue in the USA, A bigger one in Australia and likely a shocker in New Zealand.

I have a now 5 year old Kluger in Victoria, Australia and found the original fit Toyo tyres to be shockers. They were worn out in 40,000km and gave poor road holding in wet or mud conditions. I then replaced with Yokohama Geolander HT/S 225/70 R16 and have got 90,000km out of them. Very good performance although when new, the pretty aggressive tread was inclined to dig in on loose sand (although excellent in snow and mud). They are now due for replacement and I will replace with identical tyres after a lengthy chat with several tyre experts. As one of them put it "Why would you put anything else on?"

Toyota in the USA have been pretty difficult about fitting non stock tyre sizes to the Kluger (Highlander) and I would approach that idea with caution.

Whilst perhaps not as attractive, it might be wiser to stick to the original 17" wheel size which will give you a far greater range of tyres. The side benefit of this is that I actually think the ride and handling is better on the 17" particularly in snow/mud than the 19" (Colleagues have both sizes and the 19" look better for poseurs in suburban streets, but are poor on the mountain)

Cheers

Grahan
  • typesixtypesix Member Posts: 321
    Just go for the same size, there are enough tires in that size out there. Do not go any larger, the wider tire will be worse in the snow.
  • wl12wl12 Member Posts: 4
    I know how you feel. I find Michelin tires superior and long lasting. Toyota Canada does not want to admit that there is a problem with tire sizes for my Highlander 2008. Officially they say that the recommended tires shall be used and having a different size could/would void the warranty: only when damage to the car components can be traced back to the tires mind you but this is scary enough since transmission jobs could prove expensive.

Toyota Canada lives in a legal world but their repair shops have to deal with real problems. A service manager at Toyota told me he never heard about the issue but he would talk to some people and would get back to me. When he called he admitted that there is a problem and said my best bet was to get the recommended size tires and use them until Michelin or somebody else comes with a better product. This is a very sound advice and should be followed by everybody.

At another Toyota dealership I was told that as long as the tire is within 3% of the recommended size all is OK. Now, I live in Ontario and winters here are the real thing. Still I did not want to go for winter tires and my Toyo A20 lost the traction to such a degree that I was seriously worried about safety of my family. Without much exaggeration I can say that with even only a little snow on the road my Highlaner was behaving like a curling stone on ice.

Toyo Open Country HT are a better tire than A20 and I would have installed these if they were available but they were not. So, I bought Michelin Latitude Tour HP All Season 255/55R19 XL 111V tire. This tire is one size up and about 1.5% bigger than the original 245/55R19. Buying an oversized vs undersized tire seems safer since the tires will get slowly smaller in diameter due to wear and many people, including yours truly, often drive with not enough air pressure in tires anyways.

Toyota dealership ordered and installed the tires for me without slightest hesitation, which makes me feel so much better.

After a couple of weeks with the oversized Michelin tires on I can say that I am very pleased with the choice. The car has that silk-smooth ride to it now. It does not slide any which way and the yellow warning light does not come on the dash anymore. We did not have all that much snow in Ontario since I got the new tires, though, so it is hard for me to make any statements regarding real winter performance of this all season tire.

Just one more thing: when new tires were fitted the car vibrated a lot, which was especially noticeable at highway speeds. I went back to Toyota dealership and the tires were rebalanced. This did not help much. It turned out that one of the tires was way out of specs and caused the vibration. After the tire was replaced the problem is gone and the ride is superb.

BTW, at one point I called Michelin for advice and they did not recommend using any other size than specified by the manufacturer.
  • stripemanstripeman Member Posts: 2
    Cheers Graham, will wait till it arrives and see how it handles on the 17"
    Cheers Colin
  • topdawgtopdawg Member Posts: 10
    Thank you for this post. I need to replace the Toyo 19" pieces of crud that came on the 2008 Highlander Sport. I will look into this option. I got the Sport for better handling because the LTD was wishy washy. Now I may have to give up the 19" wheels and give back some performance. I am also looking at a slightly different size Continental tire that would fit the 19" rims. I agreed that we should all gang up on Toyota for their ineptitude.
    Do NOT go to the 19" size. You cannot get good tires for that size wheel. The only two choices are poor ones from Toyo and Bridgestone. My Toyos have 22K miles and are just about shot. Other people have posted worse results. Be warned!
  • beachfish2beachfish2 Member Posts: 177
    My new 2010 Limited with the factory Bridgestones did very well after Saturday's snow. They don't plow residential streets around here on the first day and the Highlander did very well once I turned off the traction control. With TC on I couldn't move 2 inches because of the ice. Between the 3- or 4-inch base of ice, and the 3-foot high piles of snow, just getting away from the curb was bit of a challenge for everybody except for the few with trucks and me.

It's not the mountain goat my '86 Subaru GL wagon was, but it had factory steel skid plates, armored exhaust and dual-range part-time 4wd along with a 5-speed. I wore it out on the beaches at Hatteras, but it took 14 years before the rust got the subframe.

John
  • houston_manhouston_man Member Posts: 34
    Update on posts #136 and #142.

Managed to get only 16,000 miles out of the Hankook Optimo 235/55 19s on our 2008 Highlander Limited, after replacing the OEM Toyo Open Country's. Fortunately, the tire warranty from Hankook was pretty decent, and they allowed almost the entire amount I paid for premature wear. Went to Discount Tire, they replaced all 4 with another set of Hankook Ventus AS P255/55 R19XL. After it was all said and done, I effictively got 2 new tires for free and paid for the other 2 (around $375 total out the door including road hazard + free lifetime rotate and balance). The Ventus is a wider than the original Optimo (255 vs. 235), same aspect ratio, however the load rating is higher.

Ride on the wider Ventus tire is decent, and I am especially happy with the way Discount Tire handled the warranty with the old set of tires. The ride on the Optimo was better than the OEM Toyo Open Country's, but the wear rate was about the same as the OEM Toyo tire. I rotated the tires with an oil change at 5K, so I am at a loss as to why these 19" tires don't last very long.
    I have 37000 miles on my factory supplied Bridgestones. They are pretty much done. I'm trying to get thru winter, but I don't think I'll make it.

When you put the 235/55's on, did you need a new rim? I really don't want to go with new rims and all.
    No, I used the factory rims that came with it. HM
    NOTE: This is a reply to a post in April 2009 - check the original post to see how this relates.

I think you have a problem with your specs. I have not found anyone with a 255/55R19 tire. There are several 255/50R19 tires, but not 55's. Without the 55 aspect ratio, the 50 ratio shrinks the tire about 0.4 inches in diameter and results in a 2% difference in real speed (slower) than indicated speed. There may also be issues related to ABS calibration. Firms with 255/50R19 include Michelin Latitudes, Continental Extreme Contact DWS, Continental ContiCrossContact UHP, and Hankook Ventus AS and possibly some Pirellis. You really must shop around the tire company sites to find the sizes since places like Tire Rack do not carry all brands and all sizes. Michelin offers no mileage warranty, whereas Continental and Hankook do. The replacement Toyo tire (if you want to continue the pain) is a Toyo Open Country H/T with a 60,000 mile warranty. Why is it the replacement tire gets 60K while the OEM is lucky to get 25K? I suggest everyone with problematic 19" tires (that includes the Bridgestone owners with similar complaints) write to Toyota and demand a refund for premature tire wear. The address is:
    Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.
    19001 South Western Ave.
    Dept. WC11
    Torrance, CA 90501
    You should also go to the blog at Consumer Reports to read what they have to say about the tires in question.

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/cars/2009/04/toyota-highlander-how-to-choose-th- e-best-replacement-tire-.html

I have always found their evaluations of tires to be right on target.
  • mdhuttonmdhutton Member Posts: 195
    Bridgestone, Pirelli, Continental, Hankook and Michelin (to name a few, there may be more) all make a 255 / 55 R 19 tire, what are you talking about?
    Bridgestone and Hankook do make 255/55R19 tires, you are correct. They are the Hankook Ventus and the Bridgestone Dueler Alenza. Michelin and Continental do not - at least according to their web sites. Pirelli did not show a choice like this on their site (at least not that I could find). I say this because when you use the "tire selector" feature for size for SUV tires, you cannot get a choice for a 19" rim in the 255/55 size. Having said that, the 255/55 tires are 31" in diameter, a gain of 0.4 inches over the OEM size. A 255/50 tire is about 0.7 inches smaller in diameter. For clearance reasons, I would think a slightly smaller tire would be a safer bet than a slightly larger one.
    I searched by size at Discount Tire's website. That's where I found the Pirelli Scorpion Zero, the Pirelli ATR, Michelin Latitude Tour HP and the Continental Conti 4x4 Contact in addition to the Bridgestone and Hankook that you mention.
  • maryjoleblancmaryjoleblanc Member Posts: 2
    I liked your suggestion and submitted the following at the Toyota site:

"My 2008 Highlander Hybrid has 21,000 miles and it needs new tires! This is unacceptable and inexcusable. Like other Highlander Hybrid owners, I am now forced into purchasing replacement tires to ensure the safety of my family.

I am not alone in my disappointment and anger around this problem. It will only take one savvy lawyer to make this into a class action law suit and, when it does happen, I will happily sign up to fight Toyota for equipping their Highlanders with inferior tires.

Toyota MUST also do the right thing and compensate Toyota Highlander Hybrid owners like myself for tire replacements."
  • tventretventre Member Posts: 4
    Try the Toyo HTs. They are the same size and I'm having very good luck with them. I have the 2008 Highlander Sport and I had to replace my original Toyos after 14K.
    Way to go Mary Jo! Unhappy tire owners need to go beyond complaining here and take it to Toyota! I recommend a regular letter in addition to email.

Toyota is now being sued by shareholders who claim the price of the stock was kept articifically high by hiding the gas pedal problems. It is a class action suit.

Any lawyers own these 19" tires?
    A one ounce letter to Japan takes $0.98 postage. Bypass the USA PR machine and go straight to the top.

Mr. Akio Toyoda
    President and CEO
    Toyota Motor Corporation
    Toyota City Head Office
    1, Toyota-cho, Toyota City,
    Aichi Prefecture 471-8571, Japan

Tel: (0565) 28-2121
    Fax: (0565) 23-5800

For the corporate web site, not the USA 'buy your car here' sales site, go here:

http://www.toyota.co.jp/en/index.html

To file a complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), use this site. They have a complaint form on line. You need the DOT identification for your tire found on the side wall near the rim after the letters "DOT" it is a combination of letters and numbers. It also helps to have your VIN found on your title and maybe your registration.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/Complaint.cfm

The House Oversight Committe is holding hearings on the Toyota recalls. Add your tire complaints to their agenda. Email your representative in Congress. You can locate that person using this link.

http://www.contactingthecongress.org/

One of the best blogs about these tires is found at Consumer Reports. Read the article, then add a post like you have here. You can also scoot around the Consumer site until you find a way to send them an email -- it can be done from the site, but it is not obvious. The more people who directly contact them, the better the chance they will investigate and run an article.

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/cars/2009/04/toyota-highlander-how-to-choose-th- e-best-replacement-tire-.html

A good complaint has these things:

The year and model of your vehicle.
    Where it was purchased.
    The name and size of the tire that is the problem.
    The mileage on the tires.
    Any problems related to the tires, such as skidding, near misses, collisions, etc.
    Anything you have already tried to get the problem resolved (visited dealer, etc.) and the result of that (e.g., nothing).
    What you want done about it (rebate $XXX, replacement).
    Emotions such as anger and disappointment should be mentioned.
    Threats to take your next car purchase to another brand are legitimate.
    Profanity will not help (although you may swear at the tires themselves).

:D
  • jer_wagjer_wag Member Posts: 1
    I'm so angry at Toyota right now and these junk Toyo A20's. It's March 2010 and still no good tires in 245/55 19's. I have 19,500 miles and they are seriously worn. With minimal snowfall I slid about 200 yards down a hill and almost wrecked with my wife and 18 month old along for the ride. I consider myself a cautious snow driver, but these tires break lose with minimal snowfall. I got AWD so I could go in the snow. The wife's Odyssey preforms better than the Highlander in the snow. So here are my options as I see them:

1) Get a new tire size (255/55-19). I don't want to do this. Computers on these vehicles are so sophisticated, I'm worried about what it will do to the gas mileage and overall performace of the vehicle. Toyota and many tire shops are leary of this as well.

2) Get the newer expensive Toyo HT's which are rare. How is the snow performance for these? I'm leary of Toyos in general now.

3) Downgrade to the 17" as you mentioned. Is this the wheel you used? Are you still having good luck doing this? At least I could have an OEM size tire in 245/65-17 with a little more rubber on the road.

Any input is greatly appreciated.
  • hlanderhlander Member Posts: 31
    Dear "jer wag"

I changed my tire at 18500 miles. I already called Toyo Tires and Toyota so many times and I didn't get any response except Toyo Tires agent sent me out to 3 different dealers and the claimed their self that they are not Toyo Tire dealer anymore.

The winter was very near at that time and I have baby girl whose enjoy the ride a lot. So I changed the tire for my family safety.

I report complaint to 3 websites including bbb.org and finally I got partial credit from Toyo Tire via bbb.org about 40% of my new tire purchase.

I have no idea about Highlander Sport.
    But for me, Highlander Hybrid, have no choice rather than to stick with 245/55 19" due to computer calculation input. I already discussed with 2 mechanics and they told me to stick with original tire size.
  • damifinomikedamifinomike Member Posts: 64
    Greetings:
    Understand your frustration. I am in same boat. Maybe not quite as bad, but close.
    My experience is:
    If you switch to different tire size either rims or tire size, I have been told by Toyota dealership and mechanics that Toyota will void warranty if/when you experience any front end, transmission, or AWD issues. The likelihood of this happening might be "rare", but if it ever did and dealership noticed non-OEM tire size, you are OUT of LUCK for warranty repairs.

Next is computer recalculation: Might not seem like a big deal, but I also have been told the transmission is computer controlled and many other issues. In short, be prepared for weird shifting, poor gas mileage, and potential other issues if you go to 17 inch rims.

My tires (Toyo A20) lasted about 25k with frequent rotations and air pressure monitoring. I did replace them with another set of A20 because the HT were not available "anywhere" in early November 2009. Now for interesting part...

Very unhappy with A20 tires with 5,000 miles on them. Called TOYO about this issue and they told my tire shop to call them directly once I got to tire store where purchased. Tire manager discussed issue with TOYO and they offered to replace my tires with HT tires shipping from California. I too, experienced very terrible traction, poor snow conditions in Michigan with AWD, overall safety issues with spin out, etc. I will be paying for dismouting of tires and remounting of new HT tires on 03/06/2010 of original size.
    Also call and send letter to the National Highway Safety council as noted in this thread about the TOYO tires. Interesting item: TOYO is almost the same as TOYOTA.... go figure.
    IF you call TOYO, be patient but firm and tell them you are elevating the issue to Washington DC, just like the many other TOYOTA issues at present time. This is what I did and got some partial relief.. I hope.
    Good luck in your tire search.
    MICHIGAN MIKE.
    Bad overall even on wet pavement. I imagine you do get some rain... Luck you ! No snow to contend with, but the A20 tires do not perform well on wet road either.
    MICHIGAN MIKE
  • bri719bri719 Member Posts: 6
    edited March 2010
    I didn't initially understand what you're saying, as my fiancee has the exact same car (2008 Highlander Sport) and just wanted to be sure which tires you're talking about that were original.

on hers, they've only lasted about 26k and then started to wear unevenly to boot, so I also had the car aligned after only that many miles which also seems strange. we previously had her tires rotated and I think they were also rebalanced at one point.

so are you saying the "Open Country" (A20) were terrible and only lasted 14k? so I should check out the "HT" instead? not impressed with what I've read about the Bridgestones, most people seem to hate them especially in snow (which we drive through for a few months out of the year).
  • bri719bri719 Member Posts: 6
    called Toyo today. in addition to the premature wear, lower grip than previous under wet / snowy conditions, etc, seems like our uneven wear that the non-Toyo dealer pointed out is due more to the faulty tires than bad alignment or anything else.

had the car in for the 15,000 mi dealer service (@18k) which was 8k ago, and they never mentioned one thing about premature tire wear or bad alignment. also, the car never pulls or exhibits other signs of possible alignment.

have an appointment to take the car to Toyo dealer in the next two days from now for inspection per their recommendation. car won't be driven much until then, we just have other committments to deal with. the woman already conceded to me that there could be something wrong with the tires and if so, they would offer some concession ($) on replacing them, without even much goading. I will definitely insist on the HT, and that they don't just replace them with another set of junky A20 or some other tire (unlikely, being that the only other is Bridgestone).
  • shotcallashotcalla Member Posts: 4
    The OEM Toyo's on my 08 HL Limited were toast at 20k, replaced them with Nokian WRG2 255/55-19, I believe they are quieter and track better. Much, much better handling in the snowy, slushy weather we have been having. Cost about 1,100 all in including taxes and front end alignment.

I was a bit worried about switching sizes but so far I am very happy and glad I made the switch.
    Watch here for followup post. I have negotiated deal with Toyo for discount on replacement HT 19" tires. Am waiting for tires to arrive at tire store to make sure it really happens the way it is supposed to. Have your TOYO DEALER call 800-442-8696 and ask for Debbie or Candice (6:30 - 5:00 PST). You can get HT's even though they are in short supply if you go this route.
    Greetings:
    To add to this message -- I agree and did the same process. I called TOYO and spoke with Candice. She in turn advised me to have my tire store call her directly and she provided a PO number and instructions for tire store to obtain tires (TOYO - HT). Tire store had them shipped in from California destined for Michigan. Got them installed last Friday and all is ok. Only thing I had to pay for was dismount and remount of new TOYO ---HT tires. So far,all is good and even have seen a modest improvement in MPG and quiet ride on vehicle. Hope these tires will last much longer with proper rotation and pressure checks...
    Good luck ! :)
  • gnowakgnowak Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2010
    Hankook will have 245/55/19 tires in 2 months. Discount tire found this out for me. I think they are Ventus AS and they are on the Hankook site.
  • alaskaman41alaskaman41 Member Posts: 1
    Wow.....both my Highlanders (2005 and my new 2010) came with Bridgestone Duelers. I've had no problems. I'm sirry about your Toyo problems and glad I have Bridgestones!
    THERE IS HELP FOR YOU if you have early wearing Toyo A20 tires. Contact Toyo Tire at 800-442-8696 and ask for Debbie or Candice (6:30 - 5:00 PST). Toyo is offering a discount on a replacement set of Open Country HT tires in the 245/55R19 size based upon the mileage and remaining tread of the A20s. Toyo is using a 40,000 mile standard life as the basis for the A20 proration. With 23,000 miles and 4/32 tread left on my A20s, I got 30% off a set of HTs that retail for $200 apiece (typical price) so my price is about $140 per tire including lifetime rotate and balance. The HTs have a 60,000 mile tread wear warranty.

Because the HT 245/55R19 tire is in short supply, tire dealers will tell you it is not available. If you work through Toyo, not only will you get a discount, but they will "grease" the system to get tires for you (in about two weeks). You will need to visit a Toyo dealer in your area so he can measure the tread and call the 800 number for the discount authorization. (Toyo can help you locate a dealer - they are genuinely helpful).

I just got my new set of tires and they seem to be just fine for the first 25 miles. For what it is worth, the tire dealer I where got my tires said he had driven on a set of HTs and that they were good tires.

The A20 tires on new vehicles have been reformulated to wear longer. Do NOT expect your Toyota dealer to tell you about the Toyo discount program - the two in my area said nothing. Cut and paste this message and spread it around the internet to help others with this problem.
    I put the Hankook's on my 08 Highlander. Bought from Discount Tire, and so far I have been very pleased.
    edited March 2010
    I have to give two thumbs up to Discount Tire. Earlier this week, I ran over a bolt which punctured one of those "fantastic" 19-inch OEM Bridgestones on my '08 HL AWD LTD. They were able to repair (vs replace) the tire at no charge! I have never bought tires from them before, was a new customer, and needed their services... I expected to pay them for their work. They wouldn't have it. When I asked, they said "all we do is try to take care of customers in hopes that you'll buy from us and tell your friends someday." Done! The service advisor was also able to confirm the pending availability of the Hankook Ventus AS in the 245 / 55 / R19 size (May), so he's already made his next sale. Well done, Discount Tire !
    I had the same thing happen in the fall at Belle Tire in Novi, MI. I am an established customer with them though. :)
  • drinksforalldrinksforall Member Posts: 3
    I've had these balanced several times and they still intermitantly shake the steering wheel between 65-75 MPH..very annoying! Seems to self correct on own for minutes then reverts to vibrating steering wheel. I have a 2002 v6 AWD highlander.
  • bob259bob259 Member Posts: 280
    edited April 2010
    Sounds like a bad balance problem. Check on the Hunter site and look for someone in your area that has one of the Hunter Road Force balance machines and have them load balanced. I will bet your problem disappears, I know mine did.

See these sites for more information
    http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/technical/4202T/5THEO004.cfm

Road Force Machine & to locate in your area
    http://www.hunter.com/pub/product/balancer/index.htm

Click on the 'Locate a service rep' and look for your area.
  • capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    Wheel end vibrations (and that would include tires) tend to be there all the time. So if it comes and goes, it's probably something else - like a worn or failed steering or suspension component.

The one except to this is if it comes and goes in a rhythm. Sort like: "Thrum......Thrum......Thrum....." etc. - and we're talking seconds here - Then its a pair of tires interacting with each other. Put one of anoither axle and the problem goes away, as neither is by itself large enough to cause a vibration, but when they in and out of phase, they combine to be large enough to detect.
    Installed Toyo Open Country HTs and have about 1,000 miles on them. Tires seem to be fine even in very wet conditions. No snow to test them on. Ride, handling, noise all have been okay. At this point I feel safe in recommending them as a replacement for the A20s.
  • jspitzleyjspitzley Member Posts: 2
    ">I changed out the 19-inch wheels on my 2008 sport at discount tire for 17-inch wheels and Michelin 50,000 mile m/s tires. Drives great, no problems, no discernible change in performance on the highway. I have much more confidence in these tires in the snow. Paid a total of $1,300 with a $300 rebate from Discount Tires. Lot's more rubber on the road and the wheels look fine. I selected the same tire size that is listed (along with the19-inch) in the user's manual. The Toyota service department dealer actually recommended a larger tire size until I asked them to confirm that using a tire larger than shown in the user's manual was acceptable, then they changed their recommendation. It's lilkely that it does not matter; the odometer is off by a fraction for either tire. Discount Tires replaced the sensors for the tires; that is not an issue.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I wonder if Toyota will revise the tires to a more common size when they update it in the next year or so?
  • momcatrenomomcatreno Member Posts: 2
    2005 highlander needs new tires, tried cooper, tried bridgestone, and i slide in the snow and go off track in the rain. steep hill by my home was hard to manuever. it is not a limited, just a nice 6
    momcat
    I put Hankooks on my 2008. They aren't the original size, but they fit the wheel. I haven't experienced winter yet, but so far so good in heavy rain.