Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Highlander Tires and Wheels

Comments

• mdhuttonmdhutton Member Posts: 195
    What size did you install? Up one to 255 / 55 R19 ?
  • cookevillejimcookevillejim Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2010
    A year ago I changed the OEM Toyo A20 tires on my 2008 Highlander to Bridgestone Dueler Alenza 255/55/R19 tires. The Toyos had only 18K miles on them but the tread wear did not give me confidence that they would last through some vacation travel that I planned for last summer. My local tire dealer also sells Toyo tires and he highly recommended the Alenzas for their all weather service. After 12K miles, hardly any wear on my new tires and excellent results over the past year. When compared to other tires in the 245/55 and 255/55 R19 sizes, the Alenzas have any excellent combination of long wear, reasonable cost, and performance chacteristics.
    Thanks. I'm in the Chicago area and will need new tires before the snow flies. I'm getting the ducks lined up now...
  • 400e400e Member Posts: 41
    I put Toyo H/T tires on my Highlander last fall and got through last year's snow just fine - I'm in Omaha and you know what last winter was like in the Midwest.

I have 9000 miles on the new tires and they are hardly wearing at all so far.
  • 2old2worry2old2worry Member Posts: 10
    Any onee try the Hankook Ventus AS RH07 in 245/55R19? Good price but I am leary of the new tire.
    I was going to go with the same tire, just up one size to 255 until I saw that the 245 was available. Any review I've read on this tire is terrific. My problem is that Discount Tire says they're not available yet in 245 width while Hankook's website clearly says otherwise.
    Discount tire direct said they can order the 245/55R19 for you. It will take 7 to 10 days and cost $189 with free shipping. Sounds OK. I found a local tire dealer that can get for $178 but I did not ask if that was mounted or not.
  • mama2allymama2ally Member Posts: 23
    I got the Hankook's in the 255 size this spring. They have performed well so far, but I haven't driven them in any snow. I'll post a review once I drive with them this winter.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    but I did not ask if that was mounted or not.

That does get tricky. I got new tires for my van not long ago and I asked the local company for the out the door price on the tires. Came out very close to the cost of getting them over the net, and I didn't have to wait. And no surprise disposal or other fees.
  • light9light9 Member Posts: 5
    When I pulled up (one pull) the auto button on the driver side to put the window up, the window would go all the way up into the lip and then instantly come down. This happened 3 to 4 times, before i operated the button manually and pulled the window up to the lip; but not into the lip. I checked all other windows, and they were fine. About after an hour of driving, i opened the trunk and shut it and made sure the access window in the back was also securely shut. Then i tried the auto button; it was fine. Did anyone ever have anything like that happen? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
  • houston_manhouston_man Member Posts: 34
    I have the 255/55 on mine, and after 10K miles they are doing fine. Got them from Discount Tire and Hankook has a good warranty. The ride is pretty smooth, and virtually no road noise. I like the slightly wider footprint over the 245's. So far, so good. However, I only have to deal with rain in SE Texas, so I can't comment on their performance in snow.
    I also have the Hankooks 255/55. I got them in late March and have put over 10,000 mi on them. So far so good. I'll comment again after the snow flies.
  • firefighter6firefighter6 Member Posts: 1
    Looking into replacing with this tire on my 08 Highlander Ltd. Are you happy with this tire?
    So far I am very happy with the Hankooks. I haven't driven in snow with them yet, but have been in some good rain and they perform very well.
  • bob259bob259 Member Posts: 280
    Guess Michelin decided not to off this size tire or I would have gotten them last month instrad of fighting with Toyo. I got the Toyo HT's and so far have been impressed with them Vs the A20's. The HT is a much better constructed tire and if all I read is true will wear better then the A20's by a great deal. Toyo seemed to indicate that was Toyota's choice of tire for the Highlander and not theirs.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Its a unique tire application, so the low volume will suppress tire product offerings. Toyota seems to have displayed disregard for their customers' ownership experience and costs in this design.
  • pupvolunteerpupvolunteer Member Posts: 8
    I have followed this subject, as my '08 HH Toyo A20's are worn down to 1/32 with 24,000 miles on them. Called Toyo and went to one tire place where the guy said I had no shot at any compensation.
    After reading about your experience, I will go to another location today and press further.

What about MPG? Any change for those of you who have gone with Toyo HT?
    Hankook?
    Thx.
    I have the HT's and no difference in gas mileage noticed. However, I will say the HT's are 3 time the tire the A20's were they seem great and better wet traction noticed right from the start. In my opinion the HT's should have been on the vehicle in the first place.
  • jojomanjojoman Member Posts: 1
    I'm in the same boat; I own 2 2008 highlanders with 245/55/19 tires, worst tires I ever owned one with Toyo, the other Brigstone duelers - 28,000 miles and they are shot.

Have you or anyone else reading this post found someone with accurate knowledge of tire size substitutes? Toyota Nation.com - folks say 255/55/19 AND 235/60/19 can be used - they are using them without problems. Toyota doesn't know squat. I've owned 6 toyota's, these 2 will most likely be my last. Toyota had to know about this problem and why would they use 19's and 17's on highlanders. What toyota think tank came up with this mess!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:
    I got mine at Discount Tire and they seemed pretty knowledgeable. Of course I'm outside of warranty, so I wasn't concerned with voiding the Toyota warranty.
  • pupvolunteerpupvolunteer Member Posts: 8
    Thank You.
    I am probably going with the Toyo Versado CUV. Toyo has offered 35% off a new set of tires, based on 24,000 miles and 4/32 left on my A20s.
    I appreciate all the info that has been posted on this topic.
    Debbie and Candace at Toyo have been very helpful. 1-800-442-8696.
    I looked at them also, but because of the weight of the HH I felt the HT's were better suited then the Versado's. When I discussed with the Toyo tire dealer he also felt the HT's were the better choice for the same reason.
  • topdawgtopdawg Member Posts: 10
    Contact Toyo directly. Forget what the local tire dealer tells you. You should get a discount on the purchase of new Toyos. It is handy if a local store sells them on a regular basis, but Toyo can probably work through someone who doesn't. Nearly all stores buy from a local or regional distributor who Toyo can ship to. The HT's I got have about 7,000 miles on them so far and I have no complaints. They get little flat sitting for a few days and it takes 4 - 5 miles to warm them up. If you can't locate the original contact info for Toyo posted here, just search the internet.
  • damifinomikedamifinomike Member Posts: 64
    Yes, correct on the A20. My experience:
    * A20 - OEM tires were shot at 28,000 miles.
    * Could not find the HT at the time I needed them, so I was stuck with the 19'' A 20
    as replacement tires.
    * Drove them about 5,000 miles and vehicle (08 Highlander LTD) seemed like it was
    all over the road and would not hold the road in wet conditions.
    * Called TOYO direct and they sent new HT tires at their expense to Belle Tire in
    Michigan.
    * Took about one week to ship from California.
    * Belle tire mounted- balanced and now I have HT TOYO on vehicle since last
    March. About 10,000 miles so far, rotated once, and so far I am pleased with
    handling in dry/wet conditions.
    * Winter about to hit in Michigan and will see how these tires handle the Michigan
    Winter.
    Costly tires (~$1,100) but nobody had the 19" tires that seemed to work on this vehicle and still be within the warranty of Toyota. Wheel size and diameter. I'm sure the next time, I will have "other" choices in quality tires besides TOYO. Time will tell.
    Highlander owners now have some additional options:

Hankook is now making the Ventus AS RH07 in the 245/55r19 size. Discount Tire can get them via special order @ $181 each. Hankook also has a $40 rebate (total, not per tire) right now if you buy four. This is a 65,000 mile tire with a load rating of 103 (1929 lbs) and is H-speed rated (130 mph.)

Goodyear is also making their Assurance CS Fuel Max in a 245/55r19 size. This also has a load rating of 103 and is T-speed rated (118 mph.) The warranty is also 65,000.

I'm leaning toward the Hankook's as I prepare for another Chicago winter.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Unfortunately Toyota chose a tire company and brand that is not easily found in many parts of the country. I think many of these Asian tires are much more easily located in the west than elsewhere, so I'm not sure why Toyota chose to put them on vehicles sold all over the US?
    Thanks for the tip on other tire brands now being offered. I'll print this reply and keep it within my trusty, but dusty CAR file folder for future reference. Let us know how you like the Hankook tires in Chicago Winter. I live in Michigan and awaiting some SNOW no doubt.. sooner than later. Tried out the TOYO tires (HT model) in a couple of "small" snowstorms late last winter and was happy with the traction and handling. Summer hot season driving is ok too. So far, I have been happy with the noise effect, the handling, and the ride out of the TOYO tires, but I have been a true Goodyear and Michelin buyer in the past. Safe driving !
    Yes, I agree with your statement. One never knows what is true story behind Toyota tire selection. During my frustrating search for replacement tires I thought of this... TOYO (tires) are almost the full spelling of TOYOTA.... Go figure.
    Tirerack on internet can get the TOYO tires - Got mine via Belle Tire in Michigan. Some independent tire dealers around the area can also get them from Toyo Company. Maybe not as fast, but they can be had. Poster above noted Hankook and Goodyear also have the 19 inch tires available now. They did NOT last January when I was seeking my replacement tires. Might be worth a shot and get a nice rebate on top of it all.... SAFE driving !
    Falken makes a 245/55R19. ZE-912. Vulcantire.com sells for $158. At least it is another option. I'm waiting for my Toyota dealer to get me Hankook Ventus AS RH07' from tire rack. They are back ordered. I hope they make it in before the snow falls.
  • jhawkkcjhawkkc Member Posts: 4
    Just wanted to say thanks to all the info on this and share my experience. Toyo replaced my worn out A20's with the open country HT's, and they picked up half the tab. I called their 800-442-8696 and spoke w Candace at Toyo. she stated there was no warranty but would offer "goodwill" She sent me to an authorized Toyo place, tires have to be down to 3/32 and they will prorate them based on a 40k mile life. Mine had 19800, so they gave me 50% off retail for the new ones. I was out the door for $519. Not great for the situation, but $500 less than I thought originally. I feel like Toyo is to be commended for the effort, and Toyota should be strung up for creating the mess
  • wiseman123wiseman123 Member Posts: 1
    I have one of those previous generation Highlanders, in AWD V6 Limited trim (not sure if that affects brake disc and caliper size). I know those Highlander came with either 16" or 17" wheels. I'm looking for wheels to mount snow tires, as the road salt around here in winter is doing damage to the factory 17's. Can the car use 15" wheels?

Also, are wheels from Honda Odyssey of similar vintage compatible? They seem to have the same bolt pattern. 15" and 16" tires are just so much more affordable and have so much more selections than 17" tires, especially when looking for all-seasons that have decent snow performance.
  • mkdorfmkdorf Member Posts: 10
    My new 2011 has less than 1K miles on it, but after reading this forum, I soon had concerns about my TOYO tires. I called TOYO and spoke with Debbie, who assured me that the new 2011 model has the new and improved version of the A20...called the A20A. This version supposedly addresses all of the concerns that the original A20 had and is constructed of a totally new compound. Debbie advised me that the tire should easily get 40K miles, probably closer to 60K depending on my driving habits and tire care. So far, the tire is fine but it's far too early to give this tire any praise. Hopefully they'll get it right this time.
  • johnd15johnd15 Member Posts: 41
    Hopefully this Debbie knows what she is talking about on improved A20s. I just brought home my 2011 LTD. Toyo Open Country A20s. They do not say A20As.
  • ida4ida4 Member Posts: 1
    hey guys, I am just new in this forum and I own a 2008 Highlander sport that came with Bridgestone duller tires .I have 25000miles my car right now and tires are almost dead 4\32 in the center and 1\32 on the sides of the tires does anyone has this problem? i went to a few local dealer along with my warranty book and they said they won't replace them free or discount did anyone have this problem and how did you deal with it. I am in Massachusetts and i am taking a risk keeping them in this winter does anyone have any contact that you used to get replacement or to get discount on new tires just like to the toyo dealer?? please i would appreciated any response thank you
  • kharriskharris Member Posts: 41
    I don't recall seeing any posts about the Bridgestones--it seems to be just about Toyos. You can search back and look for some but hopefully others have learned whether Bridgestone will do anything and will post replies to your questions.
    I too have an '08 HL LTD with the Bridgestones and they're just as terrible as the Toyos. My mileage and wear are similar to yours. There is no consideration from Toyota or Bridgestone that I've been able to find. I have ordered five (may as well do the spare too) Hankook Ventus AS RH07s from Discount Tire and was quoted a 3-4 week (early Dec) delivery.
  • minnesnowta1minnesnowta1 Member Posts: 27
    I have an 09 Highlander Sport. Same Bridgestone. If you look on tire rack you will find this OEM for $177 I think. It states right there on the information page that there is NO tread wear warranty on these dueler HL we have. Sorry, your just going to have to bit the bullet and pay for a new set. I see Goodyear is now making one in the 19 inch size. Backordered. I to have seen my tread decline with only 11k on the vehicle. I'm switching to winter tires and rims today. Keep the HLs for the summer. Same price as replacing them and I still have a few good summers yet of tread. better traction anyway with dedicated winter tread.
    Don't over look the Toyo HT's. Since I had my A20's (a worthless tire) swapped out for the HT's I am totally satified with the ride, wear (hardly any) and over all feel of these HT Toyo's. I think the HT's should have been the first choice by Toyota. I give them 2 thumbs up.
    bob259, do your Toyo HT's go in the snow? That's my worry. I see reviews that say they don't.
    As far as price and choices, try tire-easy.com or tiremonkey.com or vulcantire or treadepot.com. Still can not get them from tirerack.com. Special order.
    Had no snow yet, but I run the Blizzak's in the winter and just changed them over yesterday (have snows mounted on own set of wheels) But that said the HT's look like they would have handled the snow a lot better then the A20's and the guy at the tire place was impressed with them and said they shuold be OK, they are marked M&S, but like all marked that way they are marginal for a winter tire at best. The wife made a brillant statement years ago, (hard to believe but true ;) ) one accident in the winter will cost more then a set of snow tires when you add in the deductable and insurance increase for an accident.
  • 400e400e Member Posts: 41
    This is getting to be a really long thread so it's hard to keep up with - but a few pages back I gave my experience.

In short, the Toyo H/Ts worked GREAT for me in one of the worst winters I've seen last year. I never got stuck despite some really deep snow. These tires also seem so far to wear really well.
  • toyhightoyhigh Member Posts: 2
    I am new to this forum, i bought a Toyota 2010 highlander with Toyo A2 open country tires on them. The tires are just absolute "junk". I have 2k miles on the car and the tread is already low. Quite a lot of wearing alSO. The dealer says that the vehicle came from Toyota in the same condition with these tires (I am appaled that Toyota has no standards or specification on the tires they put on their vehicles - and of course tires and/or tread quality is not covered under warranty). I am hating the tires already because of the noise level when driving on the highway. I recommend new toyota owners to check the tires before you purchase. Surely, I got mugged by Toyota - it is pathetic that Toyota puts cheap quality tires on their brand new vehicles. I have seen several others having the same experience with Toyota highlander vehicles and Toyo A2 Open country tires.
  • toyhightoyhigh Member Posts: 2
    I bought a Toyota Highlander 2010 in September this year. I am experiencing a whistling noise due to wind blowing when i drive (mostly on highways, above 50-60 miles per hour). The noise is a whistling noise from the windsheild and from the left . I checked with the dealer , they said they had not seen any reports like this.
    anyone experienced the noise issue? It is loud, so loud that i can;t hear the person sitting next to me, while I am driving.
    I had a problem with the Bridgestones. Replaced them at 35,000 and one of them was in really sad shape and the other 3 were past their prime. I replaced them with

Hankook Ventus AS RH07
    255/55R19XL 111V SBL

A little different size from the original. I have had them since April and Now that I've driven them in the snow, I love them. The Bridgestones NEVER felt good in snow (I actually got stuck the 2nd winter). I waited WAY too long to replace them.
    I have about 22,000 on my Hankooks and they are holding up well. They also come with a 65000 mile warranty. Something the Toyota supplied tires lack.
    Nice to hear the Hankook's are good in the snow. They are now also made in the OEM size of 245/55r19 as well. I ordered mine through Discount Tire and was supposed to have them by 12/10, but they're on national b/o right now with a 12/27 ETA...

Any issues with the larger width?
  • bfleaglebfleagle Member Posts: 1
    I am currently going through the same issue with my Bridgestone tires. Bridgstone says there is no specification from Toyota placed on the mileage. I'm looking at $200./tire for replacement. My Highlander is a 2008 and 29K miles and my tires are done. Not very happy.
  • hotrod28hotrod28 Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2008 Toyota Highlander with the 19" wheels and had the same problem with the original equipment tires. I looked at all the recommended replacements and the only ones recommended were the Toyo or the Bridgestones neither of which were acceptable to me. The best replacement I found was the P255/60 R19 Michelin Latitude tire. This is a larger tire and the Toyota Dealer tried to tell me they would be a problem with clearance that could effect the turning radius etc. but he was wrong I have had them on for 15,000 miles and they ride smoother, get better traction in all road conditions and wear better than both the Toyo and the Bridgestone. The best plaace to get them is at Sams or Costco or if you have to go to a dealer call Michelin , their number in on the internet, and tell them you are thinking of buying their tires and they will send you a discount coupon for $70.00 /tire. Good luck . All the Toyotas I have had have been great except for the tires.
    Tire Rack now tells me there's a wait of 4-6 more weeks on the Hankooks. Seems all the ones in the 12/27 shipment are spoken for already. I've waited 2 1/2 years, what's 6 more weeks.
  • darnyankeedarnyankee Member Posts: 6
    Any one had experience with these tires?Looking for good traction in snow when we go to visit in Syracuse.(72 " of snow so far this month) Any comments re:noise,ride etc. gratefully accepted. Thanks
    edited December 2010
    Tire rack blew me off for 6 months. Went to tires-easy.com and got them in 5 days for $183. Tiremonkey.com has them for $169 and Gripston.com has them for $188. Both plus shipping. Treadepot.com has more tire option. I like the Hankook's so far. They feel good.