Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Highlander Tires and Wheels

Comments

• davem18davem18 Member Posts: 6
    I have the Hankook Ventas tires with about 6,000 miles on my 09 Highlander. I put them on in early Jan and they have performed very well in the snow and slush. Living in Wisconsin, I have driven through 6-10 of snow with minimal slippage unlike the OEM tires (Bridgestone). They have also performed very well on wet and dry roads. Road noise is average, nothing to complain about. I would definately buy them again, and oh, they come with a 65,000 mile limited warranty.
  • pupvolunteerpupvolunteer Member Posts: 8
    As per my 10/13/10 post, I worked through Toyo for a discount on replacement tires for our '08 HH, which had 24K on the A20's, 4/32 tread left, 35% discount on new Versados. We have put about 6K on the Versados and like them very much, snow, ice, & regular driving. Very smooth ride.

I got a call from Express Tire saying Toyo has a recall on the Versado and I need to go in so they can check the tires to see if they are part of the recall. Seems to me they'd have the serial #'s in their files.
    The reason for the recall is something about rubber content not being up to Toyo standards.
    If my tires are in the recall, he says they will replace with new tires at no cost.

Anybody else have this experience?
    Maybe I should switch to the other Toyo tire available?
    I debated between the two at time of purchase.
  • nowlennowlen Member Posts: 35
    edited April 2011
    I got the Versados myself, so I was interested in this message - go to toyotires.com/recall-campaign - click the link - and sure enough - there's the recall for our 'special' Highlander size aling with the DOT serial #s of CX HH HY5 3810 and .....3910 . Going out to look now - love the tires, hope mine aren't on the list.
    UPDATE... I'm a Happy Camper - mine aren't on the list!
    If yours are on the list go to the link for instructions.
    Looks like you just need to look at the last 4 numbers. From the recall notice...

This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act. Toyo Tires has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain Toyo Versado® CUV, Versado® LX II, Open Country® A/T, and Tourevo® LS II tires as specified below. Toyo is recalling approximately 4,677 of these tires in the United States, although not all such tires are defective.
    WHAT IS THE PROBLEM?
    The rubber chemical mixture used in the production of some of the recalled tires does not meet Toyo’s specification for these tires. As a consequence, sections of the tread may become detached, potentially causing loss of vehicle control and a crash, which could result in death or injury.
    These tires were manufactured at the Toyo plant in Sendai, Japan during a two week period in 2010 (as indicated by the last four digits of the DOT Serial #, i.e., 3810 and 3910. The serial number can be found after the letters “DOT” on the tire sidewall. There are approximately 4,677 tires covered by this campaign, although not all of these tires are defective. Tires manufactured before and after this period are not involved.
  • cjeffriescjeffries Member Posts: 1
    Hello Catcin. I bought my 2005 new also and it now has 103,000 miles. My wheel bearings need to be replaced, but I have not decided whether to go to the dealer or not. Did you hear repetitive thumping coming from the tires when the problem was discovered? Did you have the bearings replaced?
  • catcincatcin Member Posts: 3
    cjeffries. Yes I had my mechanic replace both wheel bearings. I did not hear a thumping, it was more like a loud hum.
  • purplehayespurplehayes Member Posts: 3
    Hello All,

I am seeing some good things on here about the Yokohama, AVID ENVigor as well as the TOYO Versado CUV tires. I have an '09 highlander which came with the TOYO tires, 36K and they are done. Well not quite cause about 5k is winter tire land and they were not on the car. Anyway... I am trying to decide, I have also seen the Falken ZIEX ZE-912 available but by the look of it the RR (rolling resistance) is likely higher but I cant find any information on it.

The Versado's are being claimed as TOYO's most fuel efficient and the YOKO's look good as well. ANyone have anything to say about the Goodyear CS FUEL MAX or the Bridgestone DUELER H/L 422 Ecopia.... or the Hankook, Ventus AS RH07.

Sorry for asking so much I know most can only post on their experience. I am trying to pick the best all around tire with the best RR, kind of trying to see if I can get even better fuel burn.

Thanks
  • nowlennowlen Member Posts: 35
    Well I've had my 19" Toyo Versado CUV's on my 08 Highlander Sport for about 3 months and I couldn't be happier with the ride or handling. Obviously I can't vouch for the longevity, but I find most of the mileage replacement warranties to be not worth much anyway unless the tires wear out very early in life. Nor can I vouch for their ability in snow/ice since I put 17" wheels and Michelin X-Ice snow tires on for those nasty months. I highly recommend the Versados.
  • 2old2worry2old2worry Member Posts: 10
    edited June 2011
    Love my Hankook Ventus. Outstanding in the snow! Quiet, smooth ride, good handeling. Only 10K miles so I don't know how long they will last. Don't hesitate to look at them.
  • mdhuttonmdhutton Member Posts: 195
    I put the Hankook Ventus AS RH07s on my '08 HL LTD 4WD in January. They're terrific in Chicago's snow, and have been even better with traction in the rain. They seem a tad quieter than the factory Bridgestones I had. No complaints so far! They're advertised as a 65,000 mile tire, so if you keep them inflated, rotated and the vehicle aligned regularly, there's no reason not to believe they won't make it.
  • purplehayespurplehayes Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the posts guys... after further discussion with some car sauvey people I am holding a bit before spending the money on new tires. But the research is good to know.

I had the car in for the 35km warranty service... so what is that, about 21K in US Miles. (sorry I live in Canada) Anyway they said that my tread wear is down to the red and the tires need changing. I looked at them and I am not a total fool, I know they look a bit worn but they have about 1/4-1/8th of an inch above the wear indicator when you go in a groove (not the edge) and if I stick my finger into the groove I have to push it to make the tip touch about 1/2 a finger nail. So they dont really need changing. Apparently when I asked the "tech" behind the desk where they measure the treadwear she said that it was measured at the edge of the tires.... Not sure about the US OEM tires but the TOYO were tapered at the edges when I bought the car, they were not a full tread right to the edge of the tires... and yes at the edge they would look much more like they need replacing.

Now some of you would say that I have not had the correct pressure in the tires but I am a bit of a geek that way, I have a digital gauge which I check against the cars PSI indication and set the tires based on the gauge, and I also set about 2psi above the car recommended 33psi. So I would think that theoretically the tires have been over inflated most of the time on the car and subsequently should have an uneven wear pattern primarily in the middle most sections.

Either way thought I would mention it because to me it definitely looked like the dealer trying to get a tire sale out of me. (not cool)
  • iluxmdxiluxmdx Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2011
    Caprracer posted "On the other hand, Toyo doesn't offer a treadwear warranty on tires supplied as Original Equipment. No tire manufacturer does. Since Toyo supplied tires to Toyota's spec, Toyo would not feel any responsibility if there was a wear problem"

capriracer - My OEM Michelin MXV4 Energy tires on my Lexus RX 330 wore down to 3/32 after 17,500 miles & discount tires got Michelin to credit me $34.50/tire. This was after 6 years!! (It's my wife's car & she doesn't drive much). So it appears that Michelin stands behind their tires, even though I didn't buy Michelins to replace them; I replaced them with Bridgestone Dueler Alenzas. I was shocked they would do anything since the tires were that old.
  • capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    iluxmdx,

There is a difference between a "warranty" and a "policy concession" - and what you got was a one time only policy concession.

Second, while there may have been a policy concession from Michelin, it was Discount Tire who got it, not you. They may have passed it on, but DT got it because they buy a HUGE!!! amount of tires from Michelin. The fact that DTC allowed you to go into another brand is a flag that YOU didn't get the policy concession - DTC did!

And third, Discount Tire is in the habit of making these kinds of policy concessions when they need to. They feel it helps bring people back to their stores. When a tire manufacturer does business with DTC, they need to prepared for this - and most do. I'll bet DTC would do a policy concession on off brand tires - that they sell, of course.

But my point still stands: Toyota provided the specs, but doesn't provide warranty coverage! Toyo was stuck with the problem and it is understandable they might not feel the need to do a policy concession. Michelin feels the same way, but they have such a huge presence at DTC that they are in a position to offer a few policy concessions to smooth the busniess relationship!

(an FYI: Most tire manufacturers do these, but the circumstances have to be right!)
  • bay_areabay_area Member Posts: 1
    Toyo OEM tires on my 2009 Highlander Hybrid Limited are shot at 30,000 miles.

What was the warranty on these tires and what chance do I have to get a credit from Toyota and/or Toyo?

If I get a credit from Toyo is it only going to be applied against new Toyo tires?

For anyone who has successfully recieved a warranty credit for early tire wear, was it worth the trouble?

Considering either the Hankooks or the Goodyear FuelMax as replacements but the bad reviews of the FuleMax on TireRack are steering me towards the Hankooks - any FuelMax owners who think the TireRack reviews are nonsense and these tires are worth the extra money?

I've purchased tires through TireRack.com and been happy with the experience. I see that the Hakooks are a bit less expensive on Onlinetires.com - anyone have experience purchasing tires throught them? Any recommendationd for other online dealers worth checking out?

thanks in advance
    "What was the warranty on these tires...."

OE tires do not carry a mileage warranty.

"... and what chance do I have to get a credit from Toyota and/or Toyo? "

Probably pretty small. You got 30K and that's considered reasonable for OE tires.

"If I get a credit from Toyo is it only going to be applied against new Toyo tires? "

Yes.
  • tlb44tlb44 Member Posts: 1
    My Toyo A20s got about 36,000 on my 2008 Highlander. I replaced with the Goodyear Fuel Max. My first trip on the highway let me know I did not want these tires. They were loud and had a very choppy ride. Tested them on a 1200 mile roadtrip. Unfortunate, because I really did get better gas mileage by 1-2 mpg. Came home and had them replaced with the Toyo Versado. Night and day difference. The Versados are so quiet and have such a smooth ride. It is a 50,000 mile tire so we'll see.
  • 400e400e Member Posts: 41
    QUOTE: "My Toyo A20s got about 36,000 on my 2008 Highlander."

You win the "highest mileage on a set of A20s award!"

I have never heard of anyone getting more than about 20K on that tire.

Good to hear that your experience with the Versado has been favorable. I really like the Toyo H/Ts, so clearly Toyo makes some very good tires -- just not the awful A20s.
  • newelcanewelca Member Posts: 1
    My original Toyo tires P245/55R19 103S which came on my 2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Ltd (bought new in July 2009) wore very quickly. :cry: We replaced them with another Toyo set early last winter in 2010... and Toyota is already monitoring the tread depths. I did an internet search yesterday to see what was out there for a winter tire to at least use in the winter - since I got stuck in my own driveway with only 4inches of wet snow on blacktop and was severely unhappy with this supposedly 4WD capable AWD on demand vehicle.

I found a tread I really liked on the Goodyear Ultra Grip ICE - BUT only available in a P255/60R19... I read that they are suggesting a P255/55R19 on the Hybrid Ltd's BUT will a P255/60 work? :confuse: I heard that an all-season in this size came very close to the rear struts. (These are rated as superb winter traction - especially on ice. ;) They also boast ice over winter silica tread compound which enhances traction on Ice and Snow.

Also available is a Goodyear Ultra Grip ICE WRT (Commuter Touring) for $243 each in OEM size of P245/55R19 BUT tread is very different. Also boasts the winter grip compound and has two and three dimensional blade technology in tread pattern which channels water and slush away (similar to the Fortera tires). I'd have to see these in person to make a final decision.

The third I found with an aggressive tread was the Sears Bridgestone BLIZZAK DM-V1 P245/55R19 103R for $197.96 each. They boast UNI-T technology to handle ice and snow conditions like a pro...

Curious if anyone else has used these and personal comments on the wear and quality???
  • bob259bob259 Member Posts: 280
    I had the Blizzak's an they worked well. I bought a Lexus CT200h so I have a full set for the Highlander Hybrid, mounted on Toyota wheels for sale right now. ;) I liked the Blizzaks so well I just purchased a set for the CT.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,716
    255/60-19 would be huge difference from 245/55-19.. Even if they fit, they wouldn't fit, you know?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• hlanderhlander Member Posts: 31
    I changed my tires at the end of June and it's being 2 months with those tire. I do not happy with those because of noise. Even I turn my car in parking lot with 5 to 10 mph, it makes lots of noise as I do the drifting. I'm waiting for the snow and hope they are better than Toyo A20(OEM) and Bridge Stone Dueler.
  • mtngrl08mtngrl08 Member Posts: 1
    I've been reading through some of these tire posts after noticing my Wifes 08 Highlander with Toyo A20s are showing a lot of wear with 25,000 miles on them.
    I was reading that alot of you likes the Hankook Versus but wondered if anyone tried the Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1? Looks like the Hankooks would still be hard to get this year.
    The Blizzaks have a good traction rating in deep snow but I wonder if the tread would be too rough or noisy around town on dry pavement.
    Any suggestions on other tires? I am looking for a good all season or light truck.
  • lisapalisapa Member Posts: 1
    You may need a cam kit. I needed 2 new tires on my 2005 when it was new and only had 4,000 miles on it. After the third set of tires I found out the dealer who told me they checked the alignment really didn't check it. Since getting the cam kit the tires have been wearing well. I now have yokohama tires. Very disappointed that they place inexpensive tires on a new vehicle which costs $30,000
  • davem18davem18 Member Posts: 6
    Hi All, I have had the Hankook Ventas tires on my 09 Highlander for 2 years now and 25,000 miles later. I rotate and balance my tires every 5k miles. Just had them rotated and balanced and sad to report the tread life is now at 5/32, marginal for one more winter. These are pro-rated for 65,000 miles but I won't see that out of them, maybe 40-45,000. Handling in snow and rain has been good to this point. I guess I will have to see what kind of allowance Hankook will be offering when I go to replace the tires.
  • mama2allymama2ally Member Posts: 23
    I'm going into my 2nd winter on these tires. They are rotated regularly, but I need to have them checked. This morning I slid a LOT. Could be that there was a lot of ice on the roads. Up until today I haven't had a problem. I drive about 22,000/year, so these have about 35000 on them. Keep us up to date on the warranty info.
    Now at 24 months and about 27,000 miles on my Toyo H/T tires.

Original tread depth 12/32nds. Now at 10/32nds.

Great snow traction!

They are a little noisy, and ride a little stiff when weather is really cold, but otherwise very good. MUCH better than the factory A20's.
  • pole5pole5 Member Posts: 1
    I had the Toyo tires replaced on my 2008 Highlander at 29000 miles. Very disappointed with the quality of these original tires on the vehicle. In my opinion, Toyota is paying the price (will and should continue to) for all their sins of cutting the corner with quality. The premium customers pay to buy a toyota is not worth anymore. This happened, if you see, to other arrogant Japanese manufacturers like Sony etc, I am not buying another Toyota again!!
  • ndabunkandabunka Member Posts: 24
    We replaced the OEM Goodyear Integrity tires @ 22K miles due to poor wear with GY Fortera's which lastest a small bit longer...28K miles before they too needed replacement. In November we replaced those with one of the VERY FEW (at that time) Low Rolling Resistance (LRR) tires, the GY Assurance.

These now have slightly over 35K miles (2 years, 2 months) so they've lasted a bit longer than the others but these are "suppose" to be 65K tires so the fact that they likely have less than 5K miles left on them makes me wonder if Goodyear tires are simply JUNK? The GY dealer here has been great giving us credit for un-available miles on the prior tires so I have nothing against him or his shop. It is the Goodyear products that simply seems to be nothing but JUNK (at least in our experience).

Before anyone ask, this shop does all the oil changes and tire rotations as prescribed and there is no unusual wear. Due to the on-going tire wear issues, we have had Toyota themselves run all the alignments at regular effort. None have been out of spec. We've had the dealer check with regards to any recalls but they have not shared anything. This is a 4WD version of the Limited HiHy.

Now that there are about a "gazillion" other LRR options, we will likely go with something other than Goodyears due to all these issues. I think that the GY dealer even said that he can give credit towards a different brand but my wife is about ready to simply drop the "get credit" fiasco and just go buy a different brand.

My concern is "are ALL Highlander Hybrid owners experiencing these same issues with premature tire wear?"
    No - We are not. We bought ours in Nov 2009 and after 35K miles they are nearly work out. Now, these were the ones prior to the CS version so there may be some change there but the original Assurance tires aren't living up to anywhere NEAR their 65K mile requirement. They are also quite "soft" so handling has never been very good with these. Will NEVER buy them again.
    Most tire wear occurs in the cornering mode. So the thing that has the most impact on tire wear is what I call "Turns per Mile" - that is how many turns you make compared to how many miles you drive straight ahead.

Doing the math, the GY Integrity has a treadwear rating of 460 and you got 22K out of them.. The GY Fortera has a rating of 600 and based on the ratio between the ratings, you should have gotten a bit less than 30K - so 35K is pretty close.

I don't have a lot of data on this, but I think 1.0 turns per mile is about average. Compare yours and see if the math doesn't get you a better number.

Also, vehicle alignment specs are too wide to assure good tire wear. Take the toe for example: The typical range is in the 0.20° range. This should be 0.06°. That's 3 times the difference.

So you need to look at what the vehicle actually has and not accept "In Spec" as an answer.
    Thanks for the reply but you appear to have mis-read my post. The Fortera's got 28K miles before having to be replaced, not 35K. The

Assurance tires that we have on this SUV "NOW"/today have gotten 35K (so far and probably have another 5K left). The Fortera tread rating is 600 and according to the manufacturer SHOULD have been good for 60K miles. Are you trying to state that the Manufacture did not calculate in "turns per mile" (TPM) into their equations when they established them? If TPM are important, what is the "average" TPM that was used to calculate the MFGs recommendations? I guess it would be possible that we had exceeded the MFG's projections but about 60% of my wife's driving is interstate (so few turns)

If the Fortera is rated as a 60K tire and the Assurance is a 65K tire, then the wear for each of these "should" have been pretty darn close, right? The extra 5K rating on the Assurance is only 3.333% so using your math on these, the Fortera "wore out" @ 28K miles so the Assurance should have worn out @ 28,932 miles. However, they are ALREADY @ 35K miles and likely have at least another 5K before they are worn out so they look like they are going to last 40K miles which doesn't work well with the analysis you presented but thanks for the attempt.
    You're right. I did mis-read your post. If I am reading this correctly, you had a set of GY integrity's that lasted 22K, Fortera's that last 28 K, and Assurance's that lasted 35K (so far). That mean you have 85K on the vehicle now - right?

Now, let's talk treadwear warranty. The difference between a guarrantee and a warranty is subtle. A warranty is kind of like an insurance policy and the terms of the warranty spell out what happens if you don't achieve the mileage. Typically, treadwear warranties require regular rotation (to even out the wear rate differences front to rear) and that the tire show even wear across the tread face (to deal with misaligned vehicles) - and if the tire wears evenly by more quickly that perscribed by the warranty, a prorated adjustment is made based on the difference between the warranted mileage and what was actually achieved. For example, a 60K tire that only gets 40K will result in a 33% credit towards the next set of tires.

From the tire manufacturer's perspective, it is known that this "turns per mile" thing that greatly affects the wear rate. A tire manufacturer may provide a warranty that is conservative - that is, it understates the actual average - or it may provide a warranty that overstates it. That is where the treadwear rating comes into play.

The treadwear rating is based on a test. It is OK to understate the rating, but it is illegal to overstate it. The folks setting the warranty mileage should consider how the rating looks in portion to the warranty - but that doesn't always happen.

But the "TPM" thing is also a pretty gross assessment. It doesn't take into account that tires also wear even when the vehicle is basically going straight. 2 years ago, my daily commute changed from a 10 mile, 1.0 turns per mile to a 12 mile, 0.5 turns per mile. I am sure I am not going to get twice the mileage out of the tires. What the TPM calculation does is give an idea if the rapid wear being experienced is the result of the way the vehicle is used.

Based on what you've posted - 3 different tires and all more rapid that the warranty - I would suspect that this COULD be a source.
    Thanks for the additional follow up. The "travel" in this vehicle is INDENTICAL to the travel in previous vehicles (Lexus GX470, Lexus RX330) over the prior 12 years. The benefit of living and working at the same places over that same period. The tires on those cars never wore out prematurely but then again, they were not Goodyear brand and they were on different vehicles.

I do understand warranties and GY has given us credit for the un-used tires. In calculating backwards, it turns out that the from the 22K mark to the current ~85K mark has cost us $166.56/tire so while it is fairly aggravating to have to continually claim mileage credits, at least they are there to keep the cost somewhat viable.

I still think that this has something to do with the truck itself rather than our driving experience. During the "Fortera" period Toyota DID perform a recall on the power steering rack on this particular car (Note: The alignment was very tight to specs the entire time so should not have been a factor but who knows).

Since this recent post, I have learned that there is speculation by other Highlander Hybrid owners that these tires may have been designed by Toyota as too narrow as a way of getting better fuel economy at the penalty of better fuel mileage (i.e. 225 may be too narrow to permit this vehicle to get the Mfgs projected mileage out of them). Perhaps it works OK for some who have extended periods of highway travel (e.g. 1hr+ commutes to work or 4 hour trips to clients) but for my wife who has a 35 minute drive down the interstate 4 days a week and then the balance of the time short jaunts hauling the kiddos around, they just don't work the way they should.

I'll stop my rant now and go back to shopping for replacement tires. Thanks again for the replies.
  • mike647mike647 Member Posts: 1
    2006 Highlander Had Goodyear Intregrity tires , I bought truck in 2009 and Truck han Nexgen Tires on it. Neither tire lasted past 30,000 miles

What Tires should I look For ???? or avoid ???
    Thank You
  • j06j06 Member Posts: 90
    If you are looking for all-season tires... then go with Yokohoma Geolander or AVID TRZ...

my HL has Geolander.. already 30K on it.. I think will get another 20K ...

smooth,quiet, good in rain and light snow.. horrible for Heavy Winter..
    edited February 2012
    Avoid List

Bridgestone Dueler
    Continental 4x4 Contact
    Goodyear Integrity
    Hankook Dynapro
    Michelin Symmetry
    Yokohama Geolandar H/T G92C (The one I have is Geolandar H/T-S G051 )
    Top All-Season Tires for HL

Continental CrossContact LX20 with EcoPlus Technology
    Michelin LTX M/S2
    Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring
    General Grabber HTS
    Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza
    Yokohama Geolandar H/T-S G051
    Michelin Latitude Tour
    Kumho Solus KR21
    Yokohama AVID TRZ
  • lbg3lbg3 Member Posts: 1
    I have just put a third set of replacement tires on my 2008 (72K miles) Highlander Hybrid! I don't know if the hybrid takes different tires (245/55R19) than the non-hybrid version but I have been told that my car only takes a few different types of performance tires. It is totally ridiculous, and expensive, to have to put soft performance tires on a family car.
    Yes, options are limited in this size, but there are a number of options now that didn't exist a few years ago.

I have 30,000 miles on my Toyo H/T tires with just a little wear (original tread depth 12/32nds; now at 10/32nds) so these newer Toyos should be good for more than 50-60K. Not bad!

Especially since they have GREAT snow traction.
    Do you have some aftermarket wheel on your Highlander? The stock wheel for a hybrid is a 17-inch wheel. 225/66-17 to be specific.
  • 4rohrs4rohrs Member Posts: 2
    We purchased my 2005 Toyota Highlander Limited 4wd new. Two years later at 21,315 miles, we had to replace the Goodyear Integrity tires. The Toyota dealership put 4 new Integritys on, my mistake I know. Two years later at 45,585 miles, we replaced them at Goodyear with the Fortera tire, with a credit for the Integrity. Two & half years later at 80,000 miles, it's time to replace them again! We were advised not to drive these tires on spring break trip. We have ALWAYS had issues with the car staying in alignment, but the last set of tires seemed to help that, and Goodyear always aligned them dead-on instead of a slight toe-in that Toyota wants to do. They have been FAITHFULLY rotated every 5000 miles by Goodyear.

I'm DONE with Goodyear!! I understand that the Highlander seems to eat tires on a regular basis, I have spoken to a few people I know that own them, they have the same issue. So, my question to everyone, what do I go with? Do I spend a lot more just to have the tires still wear out no matter what? Here are the tires (size 225/65R17) that have been suggested to me:
    Continental CCLX20 - 70k
    Continental ProConnect - 80k
    Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring - 80k
    Kumho Solus K16 - 60k
    Falken Z1EX 912 - 65k
    Michelin Tour Latitude - 65k

Also 2 Goodyears and 1 Bridgestone, the Bridgestone Ecopia has bad reviews for even little cars!

I appreciate any feedback you have!!
    edited February 2012
    I went with the Toyo HT's before I sold my Highlander and they were wearing great, so I would highly recommend you look at those also.
  • grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    G'day

The trick is not just to have the tyres rotated but to have a regular four wheel alignment about every 15,000 miles.

I am now on second set of Yokohama Geolander with first set running 60,000 miles. Second set looks good for similar mileage.

Cheers

Graham
    We will probably go with either the LX 20s (due primarily to their Tirerack rating and reviews) or the Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia. The Ecopia don't have the best reviews but the DO have one thing no other tire has... "5 Years / Free replacement first 3 years" and based on our usage, we will be replacing them about 2.5 years and 40K miles in so that may be a way to get a free set of tires the next time

I've had Falken's before and they are OK for the pricde but wear fairly fast. The Michelin are expensive and the Latitudes don't wear NEARLY as well as the LTXs so I don't think they are worth those $s.
  • rdettwylerrdettwyler Member Posts: 1
    I have 2008 Highlander Hybrid and it came with 245/55 R19 tires. When I go to FirestoneCompleteAutoCare.com and put in my year, make and model, it returns 245/65 R17s. Huh? How come? Also, my tires seem to last only two years, whether Dunlop or Bridgestone. All responses welcome.

Thanks,
    Rick
    19-inch wheels NEVER "came on" the Hybrid version of this vehicle. It was ALWAYS a 17-inch wheel. It sounds like your dealer might have "added" a non-stock wheel.
    Beg to differ with you but 19" was STOCK on the limited and Hybrids and as an option wheel size from the factory.
    Well, I'll be. You are right. Seems odd that ANY manufacturer would put a HIGH rolling resistance wheel on a hybrid with low rolling resistance tires (LRR) as all it does is make them less fuel efficient. Apparently, Toyota capitulated to the "teenage boy" trend of slapping ever increasing sized wheels on a vehicle so it appears that y">ou are screwed...
    http://news.consumerreports.org/cars/2009/04/toyota-highlander-how-to-choose-the- -best-replacement-tire-.html
  • damifinomikedamifinomike Member Posts: 64
    I have Limited 2008 and it came with 19 inch wheels. Dealership could not would not put these wheels/tires on vehicle due to calibration of speedometer, etc. Furthermore, I discussed this with dealership and Toyota who both said if I were to downsize to 17 inch wheels and tires, my warranty would be void on my 2008 AWD Highlander. Did not know 19 inch tires would be so expensive and HARD to find a DECENT tire. A20's were junk. Now have TOYO Open Country HT with 28K miles on them. Not too bad of wear and I rotate every 6K or so. Might make it through this Spring/Summer in Michigan, but then I am looking for good replacement tires too. NOT TOYO this time though. When I was LOOKING to replace junk A20's, TOYO was about the only game in town offering 19 inch tires. Heard good things about Hankook tires and might give them a try if I can find good sale and/or rebate toward the Fall of 2012. Currently have 60,000 on my 2008 Limited.
  • damifinomikedamifinomike Member Posts: 64
    Yes indeed. Tough to find a decent 19 inch tire. I have 2008 Limited with 6oK on vehicle and will be in market for tires in the Fall no doubt. Currently have TOYO set (again) on vehicle Open Country H/T. Same size as the A20's that were/are JUNK. Had to put another set of TOYO tires on vehicle when it had 31K on original because TOYO was about the only game in town having 19 inch tires. Have heard good results from past posters with Hankook tires. In my area in Michigan, you can find them on sale and sometimes with a mfg. rebate to help take the "sting" out of expensive 19 inch tires. Agree with past poster -- these came STOCK on 2008 LIMITED, period and Toyota and dealership STRONGLY advised against going to 17 inch tires and Toyota said the warranty would be VOID due to AWD and other aspects that were built around having the 19 inch tires and wheels in the first place... Don't mind the 19 inch tires, but darn, THEY are expensive. Had good luck with Goodyear Assurance triple tread tires on a Pontiac Bonneville I had in the past. Quiet riding tires, good in the snow and rain, and got pretty good rolling from them. I DO rotate around 6K, like a religion and getting ok wear from the TOYO tires, but not real big fan of them. Might try the Hankook tires in the Fall of 2008 if I can find good deal with a good looking REBATE. Happy Shopping.
  • darnyankeedarnyankee Member Posts: 6
    Put Goodyear Fuel Max tires on at 32000.Only 9000 miles since but good ride ,quiet and handles well. Has not improved fuel mileage for me but this was only available tire in proper size (19")and at time was leaving on long round trip.