Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Bonneville: Steering Problems

417445417445 Member Posts: 4
Does anyone know of a permanent solution to the intermediate steering shaft replacement seal? This will make the 4th replacement and the car only has 62,000. Parts and labor are around $250 each time. Help!

Comments

• 417445417445 Member Posts: 4
    Clarification to my previous posting. I have a 2000 Bonneville SLE. I have reoccurring problems with what is called an intermediate steering shaft. This part is sealed in grease with no grease plug. When the grease is used up or worn out the part goes bad. This will make the 4th replacement, which is very costly. I hope someone has a permanent solution to this problem?
  • powelkipowelki Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 Bonneville SLE and right after my warranty ran out, I had the Intermediate Steering Shaft go out. Thankfully my dealership worked for me to get GM to cover the part and they replaced it for free. However, in less than a year it went out again. Now bare in mind that I only had 14,000 miles on it the first time it went out and 18,000 the second time. I had to wait for the part for several months before it was in stock due to the number of repairs they were making on them and I was told that they were not replacing them until they could figure out how to correct their defect. When they finally replaced it and it went out again, they said they had decided that the fix was to repack it with grease. Now I'm not a mechanic, in fact as a woman and an accountant, I'll admit I don't know much about cars, but even I knew that this was not a fix and I told them that it would not work. They then told me that if it ever goes out again, for the life of my car, that GM would replace it at no cost to me. So when it went out now at 23,000 miles, I called them yet again and they are going to work on it at no price. They still don't know if they will replace it or repack it. They said that the grease could have shifted and just needs more grease. I was also told on every time I went in for this that GM has gone round and round about how to fix this, but have stopped short of having a recall on it. I'm getting to the point now that even though it's not costing me anything to keep bringing it in, my time is valuable and it's getting to be a pain in the butt! At some point if it doesn't correct it, it'll be enough is enough. I think after 3 times in 2 years that is giving them ample time to correct it, and it would have been even less time when you take into account that I had to wait several months for the part to come in! Someone mentioned to me the other day that there is a Lemon Law out there, and some Magnuson-Ross law that might be worth looking into. I would hope that GM would initiate the offer to take the problem off my hands by replacing my car but I doubt that will happen. They have to be losing a ton of money with all the repair work! I was a diehard Pontiac fan but now I'm starting to wonder if that is so wise. Anyway, wanted to let you know that I was told that they don't have a permanent solution, they are still trying things. Can't understand why it's such a hard deal to figure out, but then again, I'm not a car expert. Hope this helps and I wish you all the best!
    Thanks for responding. The Lemon law may help you but it goes by state by state. Some have it and some don't. There is also a time limit on it but I think in your case you would be ok, if the state you live in has the Lemon Law. I haven't heard of the other law but I will check it out thanks. I haven't contacted GM yet with this latest occurrance but I intend to do so. I think everyone with this problem should stay in contact. GM is not going to recall this part unless some pressure is put on them and I encourage everyone with this problem to contact GM and voice their concerns.
    I'm not a mechanic but it seems to me that a easy fix would to be to create the part with a grease plug? Good luck to everyone with this problem. I will post any progress or solutions I find.
  • hydrasportshydrasports Member Posts: 23
    I had a 2002 SE and I had multiple half shafts replaced. It seems if your car has this probelm or the coolant leak from the plenum or composite intake manifold it just can't be fixed and always comes back. I finally sold my car to Car Max because I just got tired of making the same repairs over and over.
  • pirzykpirzyk Member Posts: 2
    Intermediate Steering Shaft ... I'm not sure what the fix is but there is an obvious major problem with my Bonneville and other GM & GMC vehicles. I have a 2000 Bonneville which is in the dealership for the "5th" time for an intermediate steering shaft problem. The car has only 51,000 miles on it. Pontiac has been picking up the cost of this repair because i continue to make this a life-safety issue and refuse to pay for something that was never right to begin with. No recall ... you got to be kidding me! I've never owned a foreign vehicle yet but i really like the nissan maxima!
  • pirzykpirzyk Member Posts: 2
    Intermediate Steering Shaft ... I'm not sure what the fix is but there is an obvious major problem with my Bonneville and other GM & GMC vehicles. I have a 2000 Pontiac Bonneville which is in the dealership for the "5th" time for an intermediate steering shaft problem. The car has only 51,000 miles on it. Pontiac has been picking up the cost of this repair because i continue to make this a life-safety issue and refuse to pay for something that was never right to begin with. No recall ... you got to be kidding me! I've never owned a foreign vehicle yet but i really like the nissan maxima!
    Glad to hear someone got some satisfaction from GM. I plan to contact them to see if they will pickup the cost of the repairs. The car is paid for with only 52,000 and I don't want another car payment right now. With so many people having problems, has anyone thought of a case action law suite? I'm not an attorney but with enough people maybe we could at least put some pressure on GM to at least pair for repairs at long as we own the vehicle or some compensation.
    If I can't get anywhere with GM I may sell mine. I know book value is low, so trade in is out. It looks good I may stick a for sale sign on it and see what I can get.
    I'm with you on the foreign cars. I like the Acura TL.
  • xavier64xavier64 Member Posts: 76
    Just wanted to provide my experience with the dealer where I bought my Bonneville from with this issue. I have a 2001 Bonnie and this issue showed up in 2005 at only 28000 miles ( repaired under extended warranty ). This issue appeared again at 41,500 miles. I had just purchased an extended warranty from the dealer and was told this problem is not covered under it. The dealer said GM is looking at this as a "wear and tear" issue. They said they would only remove the shaft and regrease it and the mechanic told me that this would only last for so long until it reappeared. I asked if this was a safety issue and was told that is was not. The dealer said to save my money and not do anything with the issue.

Is this true??!!

Needless to say I am disappointed in both the GM and Pontiac dealer who has been good to me in the past.

Are there any custom parts available to fix this issue since I really enjoy the car and I hope to keep it for a long time. When things like this occur, I can understand why Honda and Toyota are selling more cars. I am looking to write to the NTSB but I don't know if this is a safety issue.

Thanks for any help in this matter. :confuse:

xavier64
    Your Complaint Information is successfully submitted.
    Your Confirmation number (ODI Number) is: 10205542

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- - -
    Click on the "Print Complaint" button to see a print version of the confirmation page to print for your records.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- - -

Complaint Information

Description : Reoccurring issue with the intermediate steering shaft on my 2001 Bonneville: Just wanted to provide my experience with the dealer where I bought my Bonneville from with this issue. I have a 2001 Bonnie and this issue showed up in 2005 at only 28000 miles ( repaired under extended warranty ). This issue appeared again at 41,500 miles. I had just purchased an extended warranty from the dealer and was told this problem is not covered under it. They said they would only remove the shaft and regrease it . I asked if this was a safety issue and was told that is was not. My question is why this is not a recall issue and am I in any danger drving this car?
    Incident Date : 10/12/2007 Fire : No
    Num. Failures : 2 Property Damage : No
    Num. Deaths : 0 Crash : No
    Num. Injured : 0 Police Report : No
    Referral Source : INTERNET

Vehicle Information

VIN : 1G2HX54K114296149 Purchase Date : 7/24/2001
    Manufacturer : GENERAL MOTORS CORP.
    Year, Make
    and Model : 2001/PONTIAC/PONTIAC Original Owner : Yes
    # of Cylinders : 6 Trans. Type : AUTOMATIC
    Engine Size : 3800 Series 2 VehicleDetails Usage : RECREATIONAL
    Cruise Control : Yes Antilock Brakes : Yes
    Current Mileage : 41573 Speed : 0
    Failure Mileage : 41573 Powertrain : FRONT WHEEL DRIVE
    Body Style : 4-DOOR Fuel System : FUEL INJECTION
    Fuel Type : GAS Vehicle Type :

Vehicle Component Information
    Component 1: STEERING:GEAR BOX:SHAFT SECTOR OEM: No

Vehicle Dealer Information
    Dealer : 1
    Name : Davis Pontiac Dealer Type : SALES DEALER
    Address : 922 Second Street Pike

Richboro
    PA 18954

Dealer Phone: 215-355-1400 Dealer Fax: 215-364-0351
    Email: [email protected]
    Dealer : 2
    Name : Dealer Type : SALES DEALER
    Address :

Dealer Phone: Dealer Fax:
    Email:

Here is the website that I found to submit this issue.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov
    Had dealer regrease the shaft and for now the pulsing sound is gone. I'll see how long this will lasts...sxb
  • ls1racerls1racer Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Bonneville with 158,000 miles on it. It makes the steering noise and at first it was a pain, but I have never had the first bit of trouble out of it. I have never regreased the bearing or anything. It is unfortunate that this problem occurs but it is man made. Yes GM should create a solution for this problem, but as for getting rid of the car over a little noise, yeah ok. No one is stopping anyone from going and getting a foreign car. Guess that they are magical and never have problems. I promise you that you deffinetly don't want to pay the repair bill on a foreign car.
    IS1racer,

Thanks for the update. I do enjoy my Bonnie and if you have 158,oo miles, I would assume that it is not a safety issue. That is my main concern. With the new set of Michelin Hydroedge tires, the car has been running fine. Believe me, I am glad not to have any car payments and hope to own my car for many years to come. I do understand that foreign cars have their issues, including expensive parts for repairs. Appreciate the good news.

sxb
  • ameighameigh Member Posts: 2
    If greasing the shaft solves the problem temporary,then Gm should remove the shaft and drill the shaft slide to accept a grease fitting where as you could shoot heavy duty wheel bearing grease into the shaft every so many miles to lube it with a heavy duty heat resisitant grease like trailer wheel bearing grease.
  • ameighameigh Member Posts: 2
    We have just acquired a 2000 Bonneville and when turning the wheel the steering pops and clicks, does anyone have a idea if its the intermediate shaft or the rack and pinion that is bad?The car steers fine but the popping and clicking noise when turning the wheel has us concerned.Thanks for any help.
    Ameigh,

If your feeling a pulse thru the steering wheel, this is what I had with the intermediate shaft issue. Since I had the int shaft greased, no issues.

sxb
  • robbcdrobbcd Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my 01 Bonny and I have had the car to the dealer twice for the intermediate steering shaft problem. The first time they just added grease and it reoccured a few months later so I took it back and they replaced the steering shaft and it has been good for a year or so. I now have the popping and clicking you described and it feels a little different than the shaft problem. I jacked the car up and checked for play in the tie rod ends and found some play on the drivers side and no play on the passenger side. I think the tie rod end might be going bad. I haven't taken it to the dealer yet but plan to do so soon. I checked and you can buy a replacement tie rod end from your local auto supplier for $30 for one that is guaranteed for life. I think I'll replace it first and see if the problem goes away before taking it to the dealer. That's a small price to pay if it's the problem. It would certainly cost more than that just to get the dealer to diagnose the problem. GM does certainly have a problem with the intermediate steering shaft and something needs to be done. A fix can't be that difficult.
  • bouletboulet Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my 2002 Bonneville (SSEi) new in March '02. After a couple of years I began to notice a slight "thump" when I was steering; initially to the left. The thumping sound (or "feel") got worse in time. Although it had no effect on stability, I finally had the problem checked by a GM dealer. [The car had about 34,000 miles at that point] They replaced the intermediate shaft (honored the factory warranty). That seemed to correct it. (temporarily)
    As with so many of the other Bonneville owners on this site, the thumping returned and really got worse after a few thousand miles.

Now, when the ambient temperature is above 85 degrees F, there's a definite "creaking" sound when I steer. Sounds like rubber is being stretched. And there's
    an additional noise coming from the front while I'm driving that resembles the rubber stretch sound.
    [Again, only when it gets hot outside]

I'm having the tires rotated next week, and I'm going to let my mechanic test drive my car so he can hear the thump/stretch sound.
    Maybe he'll be able to lubricate the intermediate shaft to eliminate the noise.

I wonder if any other Bonneville owners have had a similar experience with this particular steering issue?
  • nomoregms1nomoregms1 Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2003 Pontiac Bonneville w/87K miles. I had hoped that spending my money on American built cars was good for US jobs but I AM GOING TO BUY a Honda or Toyota next time. I now always telling everyone NOT TO BUY GM -THEY ARE GARBAGE CARS. (I had a 2001 Oldsmobile Intrigue that had multiple transmission problems- the dealer laughingly called the car a 'Friday Built Special' - the factory guys were so excited about the weekend they rushe dthrough the assembly.

Now our Bonneville motor has a tapping sound- bent a cheaply built valve I guess.

I've had the intermediate steering shaft replaced FOUR TIMES on the car. GM/Pontiac has to know there's a problem with this part. I am very concerned that the part has failed completely in other vehicles and caused deaths.

The service department at the dealer always says 'we've replaced it with an upgraded part'. The last time I told them I wasn't going to pay because the part was just over a year old. They said that the part wasn't warranted past a year. I called the salemans who sold us the car and he said 'we don't build them buddy, we just sell them'. I called Pontiac and they said that they didn't know about any steering part problems with any of their cars. B.S. I complained so much he said that they'll send me 2 oil change coupons. BIG DEAL. I told him that I project that GM will go out of business in 5 years- that it's no surprise that Toyota is now the largest car company in the world- it's about quality cars = repeat customers. You can put 250K miles on Toyota's and Honda's before any real service issues. I barely had 30K on it when we started having problems.

Well, if GM wants repeat customers they'll do what Toyota and Honda does routinely and recall AT NO COST cars with defective PARTS.

DO NOT BUY GM.
  • sacdsacd Member Posts: 1
    I don't think its fair to condem all GM products because of your bad luck, besides cars fail for a whole host of reasons. If you can tear through a GM in 30,000 miles from bad driving habits, you could easily kill a honda or a toyota just as quickly. Plus, your car has 87,000 miles on it. ANY driver who tells you that he/she hasn't put his share of money into a car with 250,000 miles on it is telling you a lie (I don't care who makes it).
  • ezprocarcareezprocarcare Member Posts: 1
    My experience on clicking in steering shaft (2000 SE), 110,000). Paid dealer $125 for a little tube of grease/labor (took 30 min but charged me for 1 hour book time). Lasted 2 years. Next, had independent mechanic lube ($50) has lasted for 4 years. Starting to reappear, will have independent mechanic lube again.

Solution...buy a Honda. Unfortunately, GM does not stand behind poor quality manufacturing but continues to build cars repeating instead of fixing issues. Example: two rear windows on 2000 Bonneville have cost $1000 repair due to a 25 cent plastic part failure. Contacted GM...acted like no one else has these failed parts...no help. Having learned my lesson, I have purchased several Honda's (200,000 miles) & am delighted with quality/no failure of parts like GM cars. I once had only GM cars. Now buying cars from people who demonstrate they stand behind them/you can trust. Easy to understand why GM is going down.
  • mercv8mercv8 Member Posts: 1
    This car purchased 01/14/04 ,Bonneville,same problem as everyone else!!Is there not somewhere we can get some help??Car only has 28/M miles on it and every thing has been done on it,that every one else has had done!
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,122
    Odyssey transmission failures

>Solution...buy a Honda. Unfortunately, GM does not stand behind poor quality manufacturing

Go to the above link and see how Honda stands behind a poor product. They've had transmission problems in models for years and the additional profit has served well for warranty costs. GM hasn't had the luxury of the high profit. Before you pass this off look at the VCM Honda discussion and many others with problems in various models.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,122
    I've read discussions about noises from the intermediate shafts. I'll look into them more. I have an 03 leSabre and don't have a noise. I have a 98 leSabre and don't have the noise. I have seen instructions on how to replace your intermediate shaft or remove it an lube it and replace. Do you do intermediate difficulty repairs yourself?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• olliepopolliepop Member Posts: 1
  • wigtwigt Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2001 Bonneville SSEi, I had the int coloumn greased a few times and then later they replaced the intermediate shaft with a new improved one and it has not had a problem since. That was about 30,000 miles ago. We have 109,000 on it.

My 02 Suburban actually had a similar problem and they replaced that one too, no problem since, now 121,000.

I love my Bonneville.It is one of the most comfortable cars in years. We have a G8, I love it too but the seats in my Bonneville are much more comfortable for long 6 hour trips.
  • powelkipowelki Member Posts: 2
    3 times in the last month, while I am driving, without having the A/C on, the info center of the A/C panel will go blank (dark) and the defrost turns on. After it has been shut off for a while, I can start it back up and it works fine, but if you try to start it shortly after it happened, it remains dark. 2 of the times I had driven it for about 3 hours, but the last time was only 20 minutes. I thought it happened when I turned a corner, but am not sure of that. Any clue what could be the matter with this and how much moola we are talking about for someone (probably dealer) to repair?
  • alishapaypalalishapaypal Member Posts: 1
    what is the part i need to replace? I have a 2001 pontiac bonneville sle w/ 114,000 miles. The problem is the electronic heater controls turn off and on whille driving intermittently.
    The heater temp display screen will turn black and you can't use any buttons while this is happening the blower turns on high in defrost mode(with a black screen still and no function of buttons). I replaced the blower resistor and the whole display screen/unit still no fix?