Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Geo Metro Transmission Questions

pretiladypretilady Member Posts: 3
edited September 2019 in Geo
I just purchased a 97 Geo Metro in August from a car dealer for $3500..I've owned the car 3 months, and went to get tabs for it and then licensing told me I had to go thru emissions..It failed..Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1 was the code..Had appt at Pep Boys and went in..The were taking info from me as the Mechanic walked by and saw my slip and told me he would NOT work on my car cuz the problem was the catalytic converter was bad and that they didnt do that there. He recommended me go to Walts..Instead my dad recommended I go to Midas..Midas checked the catalytic converter and said it was fine and nothing wrong with it..I went back to Pep Boys and talked to another mechanic and he told me the same thing that it was the catalytic converter and I told him that I took it to Midas and they told me catalytic was good no problem..he told me to take it to Walts..I went to leave the parking lot and my car wouldnt go in reverse..Took few minutes of messing with gear..Finally backed up..Going home the driving gears didnt want to shift (automatic) so I made it home in low gear..My dad came over and checked transmission fluid and it was empty..He added fluid and now the car wouldnt go in reverse this morning but did once this evening long enough to back into the driveway..Car doesnt want to change driving gears, but does eventually..Is transmission going out or my dad thinks it could be clogged up and needs the transmission flushed out and new fluid added? Come someone help?

Comments

• 1966sprint61966sprint6 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    What is the easiest way to remove the automatic tranny from a 95 Metro? The book says from the bottom but a friend says from the top with engine. How hard is the tranny rebuild or should I go for the bone yard replacement. Any help is appreciated.
    Al
    P.S. I tried to use search but could not get any info.
  • corvairbobcorvairbob Member Posts: 27
    bank one is the first o2 sensor. they are cheap try it first. bank 2 is the o2 senors after the cat. both should put up the check engine light on the dash.
  • corvairbobcorvairbob Member Posts: 27
    pull it with the engine. takes about 2-4 hours depending on just how fast you want to pull it. watch how you remove it. it is not a real bad job. the crank pulley the alt pulley the axles are the worst. pull the harness and place it over the passenger side fender up by the hood hinge. it is tight but it pulls good. i pulled 3 this year and one was just the engine leaving the auto in place not to bad. good luck.
  • lindamarie805lindamarie805 Member Posts: 2
    My 91 Metro was doing the same thing and we changed the transmission filter and fluid and it seems to be working fine now. Also check to make sure the tranny vent tube isn't clogged. Hopefully this will fix your's too.
  • bill205bill205 Member Posts: 1
    i bought a metro today its like it wont shift in passing gear like geared to low is this normal for a automatic good power doesnt feel like its holding back i changed trans filter fluid didnt help car has set for 6 months any help would be appreciated thamks billy
  • rondean15rondean15 Member Posts: 3
    My geo shifts 2nd and 3rd gear (automatic) just fine but have to manually shift to low. it only has 45,000 actual miles and transmission has been serviced. So far have been told to change solonoids-2nd brake and clutch solonoid. Change the balls, or check valves. The solonoids alone are 130.00. Could use some feed back. Thanks
  • grumpyraygrumpyray Member Posts: 1
    My 94 metro 3cyl auto just stopped moving. Was driving to work,everything was fine,heard a little click and it was like the car went into neutral. I have no gears forward or reverse. Was told the click I heard was a fuse,but all the fuses in the panel test good, is there another place this fuse could be? HELP!

Grumpyray
  • mikel55mikel55 Member Posts: 1
    I have a '97 Geo Metro 3 cyl. base model with a 5 speed manual with 2nd gear out. I have looked at a '99 Suzuki Sprint tranny in the junk yard (still in the car) and it looks the same outwardly. Will it match up with the Metro? I've heard they are the same car and visually the only difference appears to be the name plate. The junk yard's computer says the Metro doesn't swap but his experience tells him the computer isn't always right; maybe a minor mod to fit but it sure looks the same to me. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I can take the tranny back, of course, if it doesn't fit or work, but all the work will be wasted as I intend to do the swap myself. Thanks for a response.
  • faith210faith210 Member Posts: 1
    is this possible?? if so whats it take
  • fastdaddy55fastdaddy55 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 97 Geo Tracker that the converter only drops the rpm [locks up] when it is cold. When it warms up it stays at a higer rpm in high gear ie; 3700 rpm @ 70 mph cold vs 4200 rpm hot. I just bought it 2 weeks ago & it shifts fine just turns a lot of rpm. OBD2 code shows PO740 which is torque converter clutch circuit malfunction, but I can't find any wires going to the trans, just a vacuum modulaor. Any ideas???
  • REIGEOREIGEO Member Posts: 1
    92 Geo Metro manual five speed - after looking all over the transmission I can't find where to put gear lube in. I have looked from top and bottom front and back and there doesn't seem to be any plug.

I filled this car before and know nothing has changed.

Can someone tell me where it is.

Also, what is the two wire sensor on top right end of gearbox looking from front?

Thanks to anyone and everyone who can help.
  • lindamarie805lindamarie805 Member Posts: 2
    Mine did the same thing and it was the timing belt had broke. It was an easy and cheap fix.
  • morgan05morgan05 Member Posts: 3
    98 Geo metro automatic want change gears in drive no passing gear. Will shift if you do it manual. Have changed the 2 solids in tranny same thing. Want pass inspection code PO753 Shift solenoid a electrical keeps coming up.
  • morgan05morgan05 Member Posts: 3
    oooops it is a 96 not a 98 that i am having trouble with tranny
  • mattdaringmattdaring Member Posts: 7
    i have a 89 metro. as i drive, tranny fluid gets sucked up the speedo cable into the dashboard. it drips on my feet as i drive. im having a hard time figuring out which part to replace or where the vent is for the trans. please help. this car is undrivable with the windows up
  • m21m21 Member Posts: 2
    where did you find it,??? i cant seem to find it!!
  • ecogenieecogenie Member Posts: 3
    I shift when green light arrow is on dash. Get to fifth and after shifting the shifting light comes on at 55 mph again. No matter how much I push on the gas the speed stays at 55 with the arrow light staying on as if I should shift into a sixth gear. It just whinns. Can anyone come up with an answer in fixing this. Someone said it comes from the factory like this because some states don't want you to go over 55 mph. Never heard of this before.
  • coloradoproudcoloradoproud Member Posts: 2
    I have a '91 Geo Metro. I have no problems with going over 55. I live in Windsor, CO and have taken my lil car and we hit the highway to go to Corpus Christi, TX on one trip, a year later I hit the road again and went to Yellville, AR (41 miles South of Branson, MO).
    I have to confess that "I just can't drive 55"!! Interstate speed is 75 and I drove 80-85 when in that zone. I've been unaware at times and had "her" up to 90 at times. She doesn't like it that fast. She starts vibrating.
    I don't know, but perhaps someone may have put a Governor on your car for some reason. Have you asked a mechanic about the possible causes? Interesting situation! Hope you find out the cause.
    Sherry
  • ecogenieecogenie Member Posts: 3
    mechanic said it is main seal leaking onto clutch causing it to slip and not go faster
  • coloradoproudcoloradoproud Member Posts: 2
    Glad you found the problem!
  • gfeegfee Member Posts: 1
    hey did u ever get any feed back bc i got one that is doing the same thing
  • rondean15rondean15 Member Posts: 3
    I never figured it out but the good news is it still works fine, just have to shift in to 1st every time I stop. If you here anything please let me know, I will too. Thanks, Ron
  • marcknickmarcknick Member Posts: 1
    the engine ck light came on went auto store and they checked it with a little machine, came up with a code problem of TCC, I guess stands for torque converter clutch enable circut. it said common fixes are tcc solenoid failure, open or short circut, or blocked transmission passage. any ideas were to start first and how and where are the solenoid?
  • pvkiapvkia Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2010
    HELP! Sorry if this is the wrong place for this, but I don't know how to start a new topic.
    I live in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, and drive a 2000 2-door Tracker which I adore! We had lots of rain over the last few days, and now I can hear water sloshing around in the undercarriage when I drive it. I cannot find the drain hole in my owner's manual.
    I need help, please, before the whole thing starts rusting...
    Thank you!
  • jeaarthurjeaarthur Member Posts: 3
    I have a 92 metro with a 5 speed manual tranny. I have to rebuild the engine and would like to replace the seals and gaskets on the tranny at the same time. Can anyone tell me if I have to split the case? I also want to replace the seals on the output shaft does the case have to be split for this.
    Any help appreciated.
  • vwmalei77vwmalei77 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a GEO Metro from my neighbor for $100. but with a defective auto trans. Will someone please till me how to remove the transmission. Or how about some ideas on what to check before I pull the tranny. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, V.W.
  • wolfie910wolfie910 Member Posts: 1
    How did you get this fixed? thanks
  • fastdaddy55fastdaddy55 Member Posts: 6
    Took to a tranmission shop & they replaced a solenoid in the trans, This fixed it for 6 months & it started back again. Got tired of the Tracker & I sold it, don't want another one!!
  • crancecrance Member Posts: 1
    Mine had the same issue. There is a controller box under the dash beside the steering wheel column. Mine had a burnt capacitor and damaged circuit board traces. Once repaired, tranny selected 1st when at a stop. This controller sends the signal to the two solenoids inside the tranny based on input from the speed sensor (also located on top of the tranny). one solenoid is for 1st the other for second gear. Check for 12V going to each solenoid (you will have to jack up the car and place into drive to test for 2nd gear solenoid).
  • mrraymrray Member Posts: 2
    my check engine light on my 97 geo metro is going on and off dependind on what day it is. after starting when the auto trans is placed in d it takes a minute to go into gear and usually requires giving it a little gas. After ther engine is warm it does better, however the shifting seems not quite right, and it feels like you are taking off in third gear. auotzone codes-- shift solenoid or IAC. any suggestions
  • 1337gallagher1337gallagher Member Posts: 1
    I am having hesitation when applying the gas when starting from a stop. The RPM's react normally but it feels like the tranny is slipping until I get to 2500 rpm or so then grabs pretty roughly. Could this be a torque converter problem?? Tranny fluid is at appropriate levels and is a normal color/smell. I tried some Trans fix fluid thinking it was a gummed up port or something, no improvement. (car also seems to have an electrical problem causing hard starts and the cd player to cut in and out especially at stops) i'm considering pushing her off a cliff.

-Shawn
  • geolovergeolover Member Posts: 5
    bottom have done 6 times lol
    it will work just fine turst me
    speeddo plug top of tras
    take out from the bottom of car
    could have a bad motor
  • adixonadixon Member Posts: 2
    I am want to convert my 2000 chevy metro from automatic to manual. I am expecting to have to change the computer, wiring harness ,mounting brackets, flywheel, axles. Can any body offer any advise?
  • joe378joe378 Member Posts: 15
    I have a 1992 geo metro with automatic and when I put the selector in Drive it will not begin in 1st gear, also the car will not down shift when accelerating on the road, I've ordered a factory manual but it will take a week or so to get here any help would be appreciated. Thanks
  • mrraymrray Member Posts: 2
    I solved my transmission issues on my 97 geo metro automatic by replacing the transmission fluid filter and adding about 1/2 gal of transmission fluid. I did this work myself about 4 months ago and have not had any problems since.
    Thank you for the reply, after further trial and error, I think my trans control module might be the problem, I disconnected the 2 wire plug at the trans that feeds power to the 2 solenoids and after setting up the car, engine running, with the car in 'drive', I checked the wires and found 12 plus volts at both wires but when I plugged them in there was a voltage drop down to '0' volts so I set up the wires with external voltage on 2 different jumper wires and drove down the road and disconnected each wire off as I gained speed, this is with the selector in 'drive' as normal, and the transmission performed as it should, so this has to mean that at least the solenoids are functioning properly and that the internals of the transmission are okay as well, valve body and everything. Only one thing bothers me is that I looked at the circuit board of the controller and nothing really looks wrong with it, But the voltage drop must be happening there because I applied voltage directly from the controller plug to the solenoids and I heard them energize also. If anybody has further input I still would most appreciative. Where do I find a control module??
  • lcdenilcdeni Member Posts: 1
    Check the fuse (under the dash, driver side). It is the one labeled BACK.
    Thanks for the help, I found the problem, It was a problem on the trans control module, I was able to repair it myself, A little heads up, do not fall for an electronic control module repair service scam happening on the internet without doing extensive research about the individual performing said service
  • mlanahanmlanahan Member Posts: 5
    edited June 2012
    I am having the same problem as the person with the name of mrray. I took apart my tcm and found three burnt terminals and so I looked further and found some burnt marks inside of it. I found a used tcm since they discontinued the new part. I plugged in the used one and i am having the same issue. The car will start off in drive and will not down shift. With the old one I had 12 volts to the harness side of the connector and when I plugged it back in the voltage went away. With the used one I do not have 12 volts to the plug. If anyone could give me some input I would really appreciate it.
    edited June 2012
    To mlanahan: I know how to fix this, your scenario sounds familiar, If you are sure there are no other issues with your car such as any crossed wires that will spike the TCM, shuck open the TCM and looking at the circuit board facing you, there is a capacitor to the right of the microprocessor labeled: "C3", it is a polar sensitive capacitor which means it can only be installed one way, the stripe on the capacitor is the negative side, the circuit board is already labeled with the Positive side, you can get the capacitor at your local Radio Shack, bring the circuit board with you to show it to the store Geek, you might need a magnifying glass in order to see the specs on the side of the capacitor. The component should only be a $1.00 + tax you will also need a soldering iron and small gauge Rosin core solder, It is easier to fix than you might think, there are shysters out there claimng to fix your TCM's ECM's etc for hundreds of $'s don't fall for them. Please respond if this solves your problem.
    One more note mlanahan, I just read mrray's post, his car is a '97, the repair I suggested was for '92 or '93 metro, I do not know what a '97 TCM looks like in side, hope it still helps.
    The one i have is a 93. Thank you. I will keep you posted
    The capasator that was burnt in my tcm was the c5 one. I went to radio shack and bought the replacement one and solder it in. Reinstalled the tcm in the car and no differance. It still does not up shift unless I put power to the orange and or the orange/green wire and they are terminals 4 and 6. Do you know what the voltage should be at the speed sensor wire. Which is terminal 11 and that is the input wire. I have about 1.5 volts which I think maybe to low. Most referance signal wires are 5 volts. You can shift it manually and it works fine. So if you have any other info I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.
    Sure thing, I need to go back to my papers but I did save all that stuff, give me just a little bit and I'll get back to you this weekend, I can give you all the factory readings for all the terminals for the TCM plugs.
    mlanahan: This is the procedure in the manual: Turn ignition to off, disconnect both connectors to TCM, [before you begin, understand the cavity numbers, with both connectors facing you, wires away from you, the smaller connector on bottom, left column from the bottom is number "1" then up to "4" then bottom right is "5" then up to"10". beginning with bottom left large connector is "11" up to "16" then bottom right "17" up to "24"],
    Measure resistance btn pin "21" and "22" light Grn & PPL wires is resistance 160 to 200 ohms, yes? measure resistance from "21" light Grn to Ground is resistance infinite, yes? measure resistance from "22" PPL to Ground is resistance infinite, yes? all tests are normal. Keep me posted
    Do you know what the voltage is suppose to be at terminal 21? This seems to me that it is the referance wire. That pin 21 only has around 1.5 volts. If that is the reference wire the voltage should be 5 volts. Please if you have ant more info iI would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.