Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Geo Metro Transmission Questions

Comments

• I am having hesitation when applying the gas when starting from a stop. The RPM's react normally but it feels like the tranny is slipping until I get to 2500 rpm or so then grabs pretty roughly. Could this be a torque converter problem?? Tranny fluid is at appropriate levels and is a normal color/smell. I tried some Trans fix fluid thinking it was a gummed up port or something, no improvement. (car also seems to have an electrical problem causing hard starts and the cd player to cut in and out especially at stops) i'm considering pushing her off a cliff.

-Shawn
  • bottom have done 6 times lol
  • it will work just fine turst me
  • speeddo plug top of tras
  • take out from the bottom of car
  • could have a bad motor
  • I am want to convert my 2000 chevy metro from automatic to manual. I am expecting to have to change the computer, wiring harness ,mounting brackets, flywheel, axles. Can any body offer any advise?
  • joe378joe378 Posts: 15
    I have a 1992 geo metro with automatic and when I put the selector in Drive it will not begin in 1st gear, also the car will not down shift when accelerating on the road, I've ordered a factory manual but it will take a week or so to get here any help would be appreciated. Thanks
  • mrraymrray Posts: 2
    I solved my transmission issues on my 97 geo metro automatic by replacing the transmission fluid filter and adding about 1/2 gal of transmission fluid. I did this work myself about 4 months ago and have not had any problems since.
    Thank you for the reply, after further trial and error, I think my trans control module might be the problem, I disconnected the 2 wire plug at the trans that feeds power to the 2 solenoids and after setting up the car, engine running, with the car in 'drive', I checked the wires and found 12 plus volts at both wires but when I plugged them in there was a voltage drop down to '0' volts so I set up the wires with external voltage on 2 different jumper wires and drove down the road and disconnected each wire off as I gained speed, this is with the selector in 'drive' as normal, and the transmission performed as it should, so this has to mean that at least the solenoids are functioning properly and that the internals of the transmission are okay as well, valve body and everything. Only one thing bothers me is that I looked at the circuit board of the controller and nothing really looks wrong with it, But the voltage drop must be happening there because I applied voltage directly from the controller plug to the solenoids and I heard them energize also. If anybody has further input I still would most appreciative. Where do I find a control module??
  • lcdenilcdeni Posts: 1
    Check the fuse (under the dash, driver side). It is the one labeled BACK.
    Thanks for the help, I found the problem, It was a problem on the trans control module, I was able to repair it myself, A little heads up, do not fall for an electronic control module repair service scam happening on the internet without doing extensive research about the individual performing said service
  • mlanahanmlanahan Posts: 5
    edited June 2012
    I am having the same problem as the person with the name of mrray. I took apart my tcm and found three burnt terminals and so I looked further and found some burnt marks inside of it. I found a used tcm since they discontinued the new part. I plugged in the used one and i am having the same issue. The car will start off in drive and will not down shift. With the old one I had 12 volts to the harness side of the connector and when I plugged it back in the voltage went away. With the used one I do not have 12 volts to the plug. If anyone could give me some input I would really appreciate it.
    edited June 2012
    To mlanahan: I know how to fix this, your scenario sounds familiar, If you are sure there are no other issues with your car such as any crossed wires that will spike the TCM, shuck open the TCM and looking at the circuit board facing you, there is a capacitor to the right of the microprocessor labeled: "C3", it is a polar sensitive capacitor which means it can only be installed one way, the stripe on the capacitor is the negative side, the circuit board is already labeled with the Positive side, you can get the capacitor at your local Radio Shack, bring the circuit board with you to show it to the store Geek, you might need a magnifying glass in order to see the specs on the side of the capacitor. The component should only be a $1.00 + tax you will also need a soldering iron and small gauge Rosin core solder, It is easier to fix than you might think, there are shysters out there claimng to fix your TCM's ECM's etc for hundreds of $'s don't fall for them. Please respond if this solves your problem.
    One more note mlanahan, I just read mrray's post, his car is a '97, the repair I suggested was for '92 or '93 metro, I do not know what a '97 TCM looks like in side, hope it still helps.
    The one i have is a 93. Thank you. I will keep you posted
    The capasator that was burnt in my tcm was the c5 one. I went to radio shack and bought the replacement one and solder it in. Reinstalled the tcm in the car and no differance. It still does not up shift unless I put power to the orange and or the orange/green wire and they are terminals 4 and 6. Do you know what the voltage should be at the speed sensor wire. Which is terminal 11 and that is the input wire. I have about 1.5 volts which I think maybe to low. Most referance signal wires are 5 volts. You can shift it manually and it works fine. So if you have any other info I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.
    Sure thing, I need to go back to my papers but I did save all that stuff, give me just a little bit and I'll get back to you this weekend, I can give you all the factory readings for all the terminals for the TCM plugs.
    mlanahan: This is the procedure in the manual: Turn ignition to off, disconnect both connectors to TCM, [before you begin, understand the cavity numbers, with both connectors facing you, wires away from you, the smaller connector on bottom, left column from the bottom is number "1" then up to "4" then bottom right is "5" then up to"10". beginning with bottom left large connector is "11" up to "16" then bottom right "17" up to "24"],
    Measure resistance btn pin "21" and "22" light Grn & PPL wires is resistance 160 to 200 ohms, yes? measure resistance from "21" light Grn to Ground is resistance infinite, yes? measure resistance from "22" PPL to Ground is resistance infinite, yes? all tests are normal. Keep me posted
    Do you know what the voltage is suppose to be at terminal 21? This seems to me that it is the referance wire. That pin 21 only has around 1.5 volts. If that is the reference wire the voltage should be 5 volts. Please if you have ant more info iI would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.
    Thank you for help with the Geo. I replaced both capacitors in the tcm and it fixed the problem with the transmission. The two that were burnt where c3 and c5. Again thank you for your help.
    The factory manual that I have has no mention of any reference voltage or checks for that, the only procedure it has for the speed sensor is the resistance check, I saw your last post, glad to see this solved the problem.
    I am very glad to hear this, my metro was going through the same thing, the trans would work some days then would not the next day, I bought a used TCM and then it worked as soon as I put it in, then the next morning, would not work then a few hours later it worked then eventually failed all together, After I replaced the C-3 capacitor, the trans has performed consistently as it should without any problems. Glad I could help. My C-5 must have still been good in my TCM.
  • radiskullradiskull Posts: 2
    Hi,

The mechanic is trying to rip me off and says it'll cost $500 to fix the TCU. The car stays in 3rd gear and sometimes will shift automatically. I don;t know what a TCU should look like and where it would be located any help or advice would be appreciated.
  • radiskullradiskull Posts: 2
    Could you help me repair my TCU?
    Maybe, What kind of car do you have? year? make? model? get back with me.
    radiskull, I might be able to help you with your trans problem, Do not pay $500.00 yet, I might know what is wrong. it might only cost you a $1.50 plus a little inconvenience just finding the component to repair the TCU. What is the year, make and model?
  • will an engine and transmission from a 1993 geo storm go into a 1997 geo metro?
    Please Help.
    According to my research, a 1993 Isuzu Stylus will accept a 1993 Geo Storm engine and nothing else. Is the engine in the Storm a SOHC or DOHC?
  • Think I have a similiar problem. I had to tow my (auto)Metro, and now it shifts up and down intermittently. I have a '94 Metro, and have no idea what or where the TCM is so I can look for burnt caps. Thx.