Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda6 Tires and Wheels

2»

Comments

• rdm925rdm925 Member Posts: 46
    I will have to replace the OEM tires soon on my 07 6i 5-door at 65,000 miles. I also saw the same tire tests and reviews at Tirerack. I like the test results, reviews and price of the Sumitomo HTR A/S P01 and they are available in my size of 215/50-17. The local Belle Tire chain's prices beats Tirerack's. I can't complain about the original Michelins, although they are also a bit noisy, but I don't want to pay there prices.
    Does anyone have another opinion :shades:
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    I agree about the OEM tires, they are not worth $200 a piece.
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    edited August 2010
    STAY AWAY from the OEM Michelins. There are plenty of other tires that offer more traction, are quieter, and last longer, at half the price.

The 'tomos are a good choice.

May I also recommend the Yokohama AVID ENVigor (H&V) as well? They've tested very well in Tirerack's latest testing, and I can recommend them, since I'd put 25K miles on the previous-gen Yokohamas (the Avid W4S) before selling my '04 Mazda6, and they were simply outstanding. VERY quiet on the highway, excellent dry and wet traction (no hydroplaning), and there was still plenty of tread left for another 25K miles.

Also check out the Goodyear Eagle GT. They've also tested well, and have gotten good reviews, at a bargain price.
  • rdm925rdm925 Member Posts: 46
    Thanks, for the replies. I will have to replace the OEM's by fall and you are right the Michelins are good but not worth the price on my budget plus from what I've seen plenty tires, such as the Tomos and Yokos are very good tires.. Also, Belle Tire's price for the Tomos have been creeping up by couple of dollars a tire every other week lately. :shades:
  • zoomz10zoomz10 Member Posts: 4
    2010 Mazda 6 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 400 miles

Hi,

I just bought a 2010 Mazda6 Touring. The ride is very, very rough. Yes, I know it has a sport tuned suspension, but the car I purchased seems to ride very differently from those I test-drove. Every little thing in the road feels like I'm slamming into the ground. The seats also seem loose (just tapping the back of them with my hand shows a lot of play in the entire seat). The result is a very uncomfortable ride. The headrest hits the back of my head after each slight bump in the road, not just once, but it actually bounces off it a few times. Ten minutes in this car gives me a headache! I passed up the car I really love, the Mazda3 (fabulous car!), in order have a smoother ride for myself and my passengers. Now I don't have the fun of the M3 or the smoother ride of the larger sedan. What can I do to improve the ride? Any tips on how to get the dealer to address this issue?
    Thanks
    What size wheels does it have, did you test drive one with the same size?
  • capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    When vehicles are shipped, they frequently overinflate the tires to prevent flatspotting. The pressure is supposed to be lowered to spec before delivery - but sometimes this doesn't happen.

So check your tire pressure. If you don't know how, not only would this be a good time to learn, but it ought to be part of your routine maintenance checks - like checking and changing the oil.

BTW, the proper tire pressure can be found on the vehicle tire placard - and starting in 2008, it should be on the driver's door!
    The tires on the car are P215/55 R17. I did not look at the tires on any of the test drives, but I did wander back to the dealer's lot on Sunday, to take a look at the car I had test driven. Couldn't find it or any Tourings on the lot. I test-drove the Touring specifically, as I had knew I should drive the same trim line that I planned on buying.

I have heard that getting a "taller" tire may help. But by how much? And what will I be giving up?

I think a lot of my problem also stems from the seats being 'loose'. Anyone else have that problem with the M6?
    Thanks,
    I checked the tires - they had 36 psi, and are rated for 32. Is that enough to make a difference? I set them all to 32, so I'll see how that changes my ride home from work.
    Thanks!
    The i Touring comes with 17 inchers, so they should have been the same on your test drive.

Have you had the dealer check out the seat to see if they agree that it is loose?
    I wanted to see if anyone else had the same problems before I took it back to the dealer. I thought it would help if I could see what other people were experiencing, and what they, or their repair shop, did as a fix. I've compared the seats to my old Toyota, and to other vehicles of friends and family. Mine are definitely the wobbliest. I hope that's not just the way the Mazda6 was made...
  • zlyzly Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I'm from Croatia (Europe), and I have exactly the same problem.
    I bought new Mazda 6 on march 2010, and been very unhappy whith ride
    quality. So I changed the tires from 17 inch to 16 inch, (cost me additional
    1200 Euro), and now ride quality seems little bit better, but I'm not
    satisfied enough. It is hard to believe, that type of car "family sedan" have
    stiff suspension like Mazda 6.
    Please, let me know about your's future actions and experience.
    Thanks
  • mediasmagmediasmag Member Posts: 3
    Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some advice on winter tires for my new 2010 Mazda 6 GT i4 in Canada, in terms of tires, it has the same tires as the s Grand Touring in the US: 235/45/R18.

I will ask my dealership about recommended winter tires and wheels, but wanted some opinions here.

The best reviewed winter tires on Tire Rack are the Michelin X-Ice, and they do have the same size 235/45/R18 - The issue for me is that that I can't find 18" steel wheels in my area at reasonable price.

My question is:
    What are alternative, SAFE, tires/wheels in the 17" for 2010 Mazda 6 s Grand Touring.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers
  • sedmundsedmund Member Posts: 93
    edited August 2010
    I have a s GT version that came with 235/45/18 all seasons and for winter I got a set of hankook winter ipike w409 snow tires on 17" maxim wheels. The Hankooks have been awesome for me so far in winter. They handle snow with ease and I've tried them upto 6" of snow on my steep driveway with no issues. I have had them for 2 winters now.
    Thanks sedmund

Do you have have the exact configuration of the tires (xxx/xx/17)?

Cheers
    Michelin X-Ice XI 2 T were highest rated by CR last November. The next two were:
    General Altimax Arctic Q and Nokian Hakkapeliitta 5.

But it looks like, based on tests rather than consumer reviews, Tire Rack actually put Continental ExtremeWinterContact and Bridgestone Blizzak WS60 ahead of the Michelins:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=122

As for size, why not just look up the size that was used on the 2010 Mazda6, when equipped with 17 inch wheels? (apparently that would be: 215/55-17)
    Thanks Jeffy, good point about the Mazda 6 with 17"
  • youngbloke1youngbloke1 Member Posts: 14
    I think you should have a much better ride after lowering the tire pressure. I would keep the tire pressure on the front a little higher (say 34 psi front and 32 rear, see sticker on inside of the driver door), just because the car is heavier on the front, and using the same tire pressure all round would lift up the rear, making every pothole feel deeper.

The downside is that the lower tire pressures typically wear out tires faster and hurt fuel economy.

Exchanging the 17s for a set of 16s would probably yield even better results..
  • jmoseljmosel Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Mazda Speed6, grand touring edition. The original tires when I bought the car were Bridgestone Potenzas, and they've worn out now at about 27,000 miles. I need to replace them and the dealer suggested that if I don't want to pay the $$$ for the Potenzas, I could go with Falkens. I've never heard of that brand, does anyone have them on their speed6, and if so, how are they?

I live in Los Angeles and never drive in the snow or any serious weather conditions, so I'm not concerned about that.

Thanks!!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    Falken has been around for a while, and I know of other 6 and MS6 owners that have 'em as well.

Which model Falkens are you looking for? Any other brands/models you are also looking into?
  • abelangerabelanger Member Posts: 4
    edited September 2012
    Rough ride. I have been to 2 dealers and they can't find the problem. The car has the new green tires Hankook Optima 426. The wheels have been balance over and over. Rotated and check tire pressure. Checked for out of round, etc. Nothing seem to help. The car has 4,000 miles has been reported since 500 miles. Its a lease, so I cannot buy tires for it. If I had bought it, I just would replace the tires period. But not for a lease. What to do do?
    What a disapointment this is. My son has a 2007 Elantra with the same tires, but they are not green. The car rides like a Cadillac and is so nice and comfortable to drive. Any suggestio?ns anybody
  • capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    It's a little unclear, but are you saying you have a rough ride? - OR - are you saying you have a vibration?

It makes a difference in what can be done to fix the problem.

If you have a vibration, then replacing the tires would be called for.

If the problem is a rough ride, then we need to do a little homework: What are the 2 tire sizes involved - the 2013 and the 2007?
    On the 2013 Elantra, I replaced the tires at my own expense. I put Bridgestone, and the ride was a little better. Then the tire dealer switch the tires to MIchelin , said it would be better. But no, Michelin felt like there was more rubber on the road, but still rough. So back to the original tires Hankook. The ride is harsh, and according to Hyundai Customer Service, it was made that way, for better gas mileage, which I have not seen in 6,000 miles. Anyway, this car is very uncomfortable on long trips, like driving an old clunker. Big disapointment for a new car. Hyundai will suffer from this later. I know cars, I was an auto abitrator in the past.
  • cogitojazzcogitojazz Member Posts: 14
    Greetings. Time to replace Michelin original tires at 39K, they are shot. Looking for recommendations as I have to buy tires like now.... I have basic service done at local Firestone. They are recommending Firestone Firehawk P215/55R17 (50K mileage) or Bridgestone Ecopia (65K mileage), price is $789+ for Firestones, $817+ for Bridgestone before any coupon or discount. I'm on the road quite a bit, especially in fall months, living in Middle Tennessee, not much snow or ice. Car is in great shape, keeping it for at least 3 more years. Would appreciate any thoughts or recommendations very much! Thanks. JazzerMP