Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Prix Starting / Stalling Issues

Comments

• hydrashokhydrashok Member Posts: 3
    I had a mechanic replace the ignition switch and this cured the issues with the electrical. It even cured the fan problems where the fan would only work intermittantly on high.
  • smv1smv1 Member Posts: 14
    Hi , you might have both the crankshaft and camshaft sensor's checked to see if the " Hall Effect " is taking place. When these sensor's get hot then they stop working until the cool back down; this is an intermittent problem and sometimes hard to diagnose... Hope this helps.... Sergio.
    Hi again and you might want to read post #210 and the original post back in April ; sounds like maybe this person also was having problem's with the tach.....Sergio.
  • downriverninjadownriverninja Member Posts: 2
    ive come to the conclusion that its the crankshaft position sensor. and i would like to do the work myself. what tools would i need to replace that? i know ill have to remove the harmonic balancer as well but i dont know what tools ill need. any info would be great. thanks.
  • beyerchbeyerch Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I'm curious if you ever figured this out. I have a very similar problem after putting a new battery in my car (i.e. whole thing is dead after trying to start). suggestion I have is checking cabling to starter as it might be the culprit.
  • prochieprochie Member Posts: 11
    That's a great point! I originally mentioned way back with my '05 Grand Prix that the ground strap near the batter on the body of the car gets build-up and corrosion - but there is the opposite end of the cable - which I never checked but could also be a problem - especially on an older year.

A Recap of What I Did:
    GM issued a TSB describing the problem for Buick, Pointiac, Chev. I cleaned off the terminal end and the car body where it bolts down. I also used some white silicone grease as the TSB suggested but went one step further and placed a washer that would "bite" down into the body to give it a better ground - the ground only appears to be coming from the bolt and its threading. I followed up with some rust-proofing paint to slow future corrosion.
  • remi2remi2 Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2003 pontiac 3800 . when u start it .it floods a little like a misfire.then after a while it runs fine . i have changed all the plugs wires ,/cam shaft sensor /,coil packs/,injectors./what else could cause it. i also put it on a machine it said misfire on #3 celinder I NEED HELP (PLEASE) THANKS
    Maybe you have a bad fuel injector; I would swap the # 3 with the # 1 and see if the issue sill occurs but now it will indicate misfire on the # 1.... Good luck Sergio.
    Hi... electrical problems are always difficult and I had a similar problem with my daughter's 1998 GP 3.8 Auto... My solution after studying the electrical diagrams; had to do with a bad terminal connection on top of the automatic transmission at the Safety Neutral Switch and if I remember correctly it was the Purple wire that goes from the starter to the Safety Neutral Switch... Also this my sound rather basar but this same color wire goes to the release switch in the glove box to open the trunk. If you attempt to open the trunk with this button and it doesn't work then trace it back to the Safety Neutral switch... The new electrical male part was purchased at Pep Boy's in a packet for under $5..... Good luck, hope this helps... Sergio.
  • og1gtpog1gtp Member Posts: 1
    u should try changing the ignition module, it's about $135 bucks. I had the same symptoms and after installing the ignition module my GTP stop stalling. I really hope it works out for u oh and that thing with ur car parked and only reaching 4k rpm is completely normal and its called rev limiter look it up.
  • ashman1983ashman1983 Member Posts: 1
    Friend of mine has a 97 grand prix and for the last week or so it's been stalling out at red lights. no other symptoms, just stalls and you can start it right back up. there wasn't a check engine light on, but i hooked up the ODB II reader to it for giggles and it threw me back a p0102(MAF sensor) and a p0121(throttle position sensor) i looked around here and other sites and a lot of people talk about the crankshaft sensor as being a prime culprit of stalling, but since these 2 codes are poppin up, it's throwin me off a bit. i didn't want to just go replacing parts for her since she's on kind of a tight budget, any one got any insight as to where i may start. far as i know, there's no other symptoms or problems other then just the random stalling at red lights.
  • pat_from_grovepat_from_grove Member Posts: 5
    I posted earlier (Sept./Oct 2009) that I fixed my '99 GT stalling problem by cleaning the battery grounding cable. After quite awhile, it did return, but I found a different issue. The design of this 3.8V6 engine in this class of vehicles is such that changing the air filter is awkward and time consuming. I have been using the same quick-lube place to service my car for years. When the stalling returned, I discovered that they have not replace my air filter (takes too long?) for 80,000 km (50,000 miles). That was way beyond normal service length even though I believe I have been driving in relatively clean air environment. I replaced the air filter immediately myself. The stalling stopped right away, and has not returned. It is worth while for anyone to check the air filter in case they have the same issue. By the way, a blocked air filter could generate every symptom and phenomenon most people described here.
  • mrweasl442mrweasl442 Member Posts: 1
    i own a 1999 grand prix gtp,it has recently started to idle rough and stall(doesnt quite die),at the same time my HUD display goes dim... also display on the factory radio for the radio freq. displays part of the numbers...is all this from the same issues or are they seperate???
    The dimming of the lights and the radio display is electrical - clean off the ground cable by the battery and put some silicone grease between the frame. Paint with rust proofing paint. You weird display and computer issues will vanish.

Not enough air or not enough fuel. Check the air filter - I find it does help some of the rough idling - but not stalling. I was told that there is a piece on the accelerator that moves in and out - that gets worn and this would account for a rough start or stalling. 2005 is fly by wire but the principal is the same. I haven't looked at mine yet (2005 GP) but similar engine. Oxy sensors are a common problem - for a '99 your likely due and they relatively easy to get at.

The V6's are prone to gunk build up on the drive chain so if you are at a high millage nearing 300k this could be the case. Change your oil frequently and I throw in some de-dunk cleanser in the fall just before winter. For the winter oil mix I'll throw in some Lucas oil.
  • monicavanattamonicavanatta Member Posts: 1
    My 1997 Grand Prix GTP has been not starting after shutting engine off. Sometimes after waiting for 15 or 20 minutes it will restart. A month ago it stalled and would not restart at all. After taking it to a shop they told me it was a nuetral switch.I just had them start it to get me home, then I never had the problem again for 3 weeks and all of a sudden it wont start again. I replaced the nuetral switch and starter and still will not start.
    I am wondering if it has to do with the alarm system. I have a new battery and crank sensor, and I am a poor girl so I would appreciate any advice on this subject that you can give.
  • luweegyluweegy Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2010
    I'm having the same problems with a 2000 GTP,I've cked FPump pressure,running after it stalls out,cold rest presure,all around 40-50 lbs.No ck engine light .But when I scan it I get a trans code P1811 long shift.Car has 189k miles.Another code P1571 wheel sensor bad.The traction control light is on with the ABS light.Can't turn TC on or off.I've cleaned MAF.Pulled cat of no differance.It has spark when it won't start.Won't fire with starting fluid. It has Autolight 606's in it which are pitch black.Fuel filter is clear.I'm sorta lost here.I did the ground cable TSB,no differance.
    Thanx for the help. I was told that the CAS and crank sensor were replaced about 6 months ago. The car also chases idle up and down on startup.Tom
    I read that you replaced the crank sensor; well there is also a cam sensor that also works in conjunction with the crank sensor. I ended up replacing both of these sensor's in my daughters 1997 Grand Prix GT and this solved our problem..... best of Luck, smv
  • luvnsk8erboysluvnsk8erboys Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 pontiac grand prix se 3.8L. When I start up my car the cars Idle drops and then goes back almost like it is surging if that makes sense. The headlights and Dash lights Dem as it drops and get brighter as it idles higher. Can anyone tell me what is going on. Please? :mad: :confuse:
  • dklasidklasi Member Posts: 1
    2000 grand prix starts and runs for a couple seconds and stalls out fuel pressure is good, any ideas on what is causing this
  • pontiaclivespontiaclives Member Posts: 19
    After following the trail of suggestions on this forum, I was able to resolve the stalling at stops, jerking when accelerating and RPM fluctuation problems on my 99 Grand Prix GT with 118,000 miles, A lot of helpful and smart folks are posting to this forum. First I tried cleaning the battery ground cable. As suggested, it was dirty and probably was not making good contact. But the outcome was: no improvement. Then I had the code read at Tires Plus, which pointed to mass air flow (MAF) sensor area but they said it could also be the PCM. The code confirmed what I read here on the earlier posts about MAF being the likely culprit. Rather than spend another $110 for the final diagnosis, I decided to replace the MAF. Their price to replace the MAF was $470 so instead I went to O'Reilly Auto parts and bought the part for $139 and replaced it. It took less than 5 minutes. All you need is a special bit for the temper proof hex screws. So far so good.
  • grandprixgirlgrandprixgirl Member Posts: 2
    MY 92 GRAND PRIX,STARTS AND IDLES FINE,BUT AS SOON AS GIVE IT GAS IT DIES. WILL NOT GO ABOVE 2K RPMS.IVE REPLACED . THE BATTERY,FUEL PUMP,ENGINE CONTROL MODULE,MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR,COIL PACKS,FUEL FILTER,I HEARD IT COULD BE THE INJECTORS.OR THE CPS.WHAT DO U GUYS THINK.
  • 05grandprix05grandprix Member Posts: 8
    Definitely sounds like a gas shortage problem. Either a clogged fuel filter or the fuel injectors a really dirty. I had this on my grand prix and replaced the fuel filter (costs between $20 and $40 depending on if you do it your self or get it done). I also had the dealership perform a service call BG FUEL INJECT CLEANING. As soon as I got this done my car has never run better. It now idles better, has better acceleration, and best of all my gas (mpg) went up from an average of 18 to 23.5 miles per gallon. That means that I each fill up I get an additional 80 miles tank. At the dealership it cost me around $90-$100 to get it done but I highly recommend it. Good Luck!
    I agree with the fuel issues. Since you have already replaced whole bunch of parts, you may have already replaced your fuel filter, if you haven't, you should definitely replace it. The other cheap part to replace is your PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) valve which is an important part of your emission control system. Have you tried any of the fuel injector cleaner additives?

Good luck!
  • grandprixgirlgrandprixgirl Member Posts: 2
    yes, i have replaced the fuel filter.i also put sea foam in with only 2 gallons of gas ...still no luck. it only revs up to 1500 rpm's then dies.i also cut off the catalitic converter to allow more air flow.the service engine light does not come on and stay on.so i dont think its electrical.
    Try cleaning the throttle body. Between the air intake and the engine. 2004 models are drive by wire but still have mechanics to open the throttle. I don't think this is the issue but it helped with some of the issues I was having with poor idling and performance.
  • marcopolo4marcopolo4 Member Posts: 2
    reduced power might be a converter...the trac light is a sensor on the wheel bearing...u can tell by hummiming/rubing sound. left or right side....if u haven heard it...u will soon/then just change it. they re known for sensor bearing problems
  • jhnbentonjhnbenton Member Posts: 1
    havent looked at it yet but my daughter was telling me that her when she starts it turns over but wont start sometimes ,and she says when this happens she has to reset her clock and sterio any ideas?
  • ksteacyksteacy Member Posts: 7
    I had the stalling issues with my 2000 Grand Prix. I am glad to say I am driving again, and my car is reliable again. I have 300,000 kms and I have always maintained my car with regular oil changes,fuel filters, air filters and every 2 years I change the coolant and transmission fluid. But this really had me stumped. Here's what I did to get her back running again. I first changed fuel filter, air filter, then I had the catalitic converter changed with the after market one which only costs 99.00 dollars. I also changed the O2 sensor and next I had a friend put my car on the computer and clear all the codes. Then I changed all the spark plugs and the car was still acting up and I then changed the MAF sensor. Now she is purring like a new car again. I have been on short trips and long drives for the past week and she's fine. WOW am I glad.
    I had a stalling issue with my 2000 Grand Prix,which i have 300,000 kms on. It would stall and only start if i pressed on the gas peddle. It sounded like the car was not getting any gas..... I couldn't get it to stay running. I took it to a garage and that was a waste of time. I unpluged the MAF sensor and she would run but the transmission was not shifting properly while driving at speeds of 30 kms 50 kms. Which really had me worried. I replaced the catalitic converter with and after marked one which cost me 99.00 dollars and i replaced MAF sensor, the O2 sensor, and fuel filter, air filter and i put in injector cleaner in the tank then i put new spark plugs in too.
    I also asked a friend to clear all the codes and she's running like new. I have been on long trips and short trips, and I have rectified the problem....and she's running like new again.
    I had the stalling issue too. i am glad to say she's running great. I own a 2000 Grand Prix GT and she has 300,000 kms. I replaced the spark plugs and fuel filter, air filter, 02 sensor and MAF sensor, and also replaced the catalitic converter. I originally had 7 codes comming up. The total cost was around 500.00 dollars total. But i had a friend hook his computer up to my car which saved me big time. He cleared out all the codes for me. I now have a reliable car again.
    I had the same issues, the car would surge up and down, and it turned out that i had to have the injectors professional cleaned at the dealership. I read my manual and I was putting the incorrect gas in the car. the 3.8 needs 87 octane not regular. But if you want to burn 85 octane you also need to put in additives in the fuel tank once a month or fill up. hope this helps
    I had a simmiar problem, I replaced the fuel filter, the air filter, the spark plugs, the 02 sensor. I then asked a friend to put the computer on my car, and 7 codes come on on the computer. And it still would not run.....only start and run abit and quit...I then was told to unplug the MAF sensor to see if she would run without it hooked up and she would, but the transmission would not shift properly. I changed the MAF sensor and catalitic converter which is and after market which only costs 99.00 dollars. And she's running like new. I have 300,000 kms on my 2000 Grand Prix . She's running like a new car again. The total costs were around 500.00 if you do the work yourself. hopes this helps
    I had this issue too. I had to replace the air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs the 02 sensor and catalitic converter with and after market one which costs 99.00 dollars and then i asked a friend to hook up the computer to my car and clear all the codes. Then i had to replace the MAF sensor. Now she's running like new, and I have a 2000 Grand Prix with 300,000 kms. The total costs if you do it yourself is about 500.00 dollars. I am glad to have a reliable car again. Hope this helps
    I had simmiar issues with my car stalling. I replaced the fuel filter, air filter, 02 sensor, spark plugs, catalitic converter, and then the MAF sensor. My car is running like new again, with no problems. The total costs were around 500.00 dollars if you can do the work yourself. I also had a friend put my car on the computer and clear all the codes. hope this helps
  • egunnegunn Member Posts: 1
    THIS IS IN RESPONSE TO #190 I COMMEND YOU FOR USING YOUR DVMM IF MORE PEOPLE WOULD DO THIS THEY WOULD FIX PROBABLY 90% OF THERE PROBLEMS WITH OUT REPLACING PARTS THEY DONT NEED I AM A 25 YEAR RETIRED MECHANIC AS WELL A ELECTRONIC TECH IT GOES BACK TO BASICS OF PROPER VOLTAGE AND GROUNDS THANKS
  • vinnie57vinnie57 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2006 GT with 60k for mileage. Check engine light has come on and the factory remote starter has quit working. The remote start acts like it's working ie: hit the key FOB button and the lights come on and you can hear it "clicking" like it's trying to start but doesn't. I had the dealer run a diag. on the light and said it was an O2 sensor and that the remote start won't work until the sensor is replaced??? Took the car to an independent shop and they did a diag and codes indicated a misfiring and they had never heard that the remote start won't work until the O2 sensor is replaced. They feel it won't work until the check engine light is fixed , period.
    Also, there was a code for the gas tank vent to be replaced?? Keep getting a "gas cap" warning on the DIC but the cap is replaced properly everytime we add fuel. PLEASE HELP.

THANKS
  • grand99prixgtpgrand99prixgtp Member Posts: 1
    first off i have a 99 pontiac grand prix gtp i am having a problem with a p0452 code which i changed the fuel pump and pressure sensor and check all the wires and got new connectors still code has not cleared and my fuel gauge is not working right it goes empty after like 5 gallons of gas used but still have 10 gallons left don't know anything else to do

Second i now have a problem when i accelerate fast it seems like it not getting gas which this problem just started like 2 weeks ago and it seems like there no power but when i accelerate normal i can go 100mph easy i have changed the ecm,plugs,wires,coils,ign control mod im just lost now can any body give me any more ideas thanks
    The problem that you may have may have to do with the ignition switch; my daughter 97' grand prix gt had similar problems. To the point that the mechanic that kept driving the car for 3 days until it actually stalled on him and he could not start the car. Come to find out that this was an intermitent issue with the ignition switch wireing type harness. ( this has nothing to do with replacing the ignition key and tumblers) This is an electrical problem and you will be replacing only a portion of the wires that has a distribution type set-up simialar to a set of "points" in older cars; before electronic ignitions were invented. Anyways these will make contact with each other and each time electricity flows to where you send it there is an arching that take place and eventually you will start having intermittent problems... If you have acess to a good mechanic book; look at the electrical diagram to see what I'm talking about. Or better yet go to the GMC dealer near you; into the parts department and have them look-up the part I telling you to replace and casually in conversation pick the brain of the counter person or maybe you can actually get a scematic of the step by step process that the mechanics there follow when they trouble shoot problems..... Best of luck and please post if this does solve your problem.
  • skullman91skullman91 Member Posts: 5
    I just read your post, Im gonna try that tomorrow. ive been having the same problem and just changed the MAF and still stalling. I thought i might have to reset the cars computer but not it. Ill let u know if it works. Thanks for the idea.
  • gtprixgirlgtprixgirl Member Posts: 1
    I recently got a 2005 Grand Prix GT. I was told that to start the grand prix (atleast the newer ones) you just need to "flick" the key and the car will turn on-- which it does. My problem is when I go to start my car SOMETIMES it takes 1 or 2 tries to to get it to stay on. Today was the only time it took 7 tries to start it (although I could've been nervous). It is almost like I get it started and the engine kills right away. I've changed the sparks and wires on it and I also put in a new battery. PLEASE HELP. I'm not good with cars and I absolutely love my grand prix! Anyone else have this problem!?
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    gtprixgirl,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Have you spoke with your dealer? If not, I would recommend doing so. Please keep me updated on your situation.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • 05grandprix05grandprix Member Posts: 8
    Go to the dealer and get this done: BGFUEL INJECT

It cleans the engine to remove buildup. I had the same problem when starting and got this done. I used to have to hit the gas on startup otherwise it would stall. You should not need to do this on a fuel injected car. After it was done I have not had any more problems. Cost $100
  • merc24merc24 Member Posts: 3
    Ok I have a 2003 grand prix that is having a starting problem. It will not crank at all sometimes and when I try to crank it up sometimes the starter scratches and then it starts, but when I throw it in gear it shuts off. I had read about the ignition switch recall but pontiac claims that they don't see a recall on my car can someone please help
  • sdanycsdanyc Member Posts: 1
    Okay I had this problem not with a Grand Prix but with an Olds Alero... Mechanics did not know how to fix this... I later found out that it was because the new tires I had on the put on the car were to narrow and just out of spec for the computer... Once I replaced the tires with the correct size all problems went away as the computer read them as correct. No more loss of traction control no more engine light on ect.... Check the tire size to make sure it meets the specs for your car....
  • spaz00_gp_gtxspaz00_gp_gtx Member Posts: 1
    I used to have the 06 gp gxp had the same problem they put a new battery in it and changed something that had to do with the amount of power that goes to charging the battery. when it happened to me the battery was dead and i jumped the battery i think i fried it because i drove it to them and they said the battery was about to explode and that it was leaking acid. hope this helps.
    I have a 99 Grand Prix GT. I went through the MAF sensor issues late last year. After replacing the MAF sensor, I didn't have any problems for 6 months. it now started stalling randomly at highway speeds as well as at 15 miles/hr. It always starts right up. It can go days without any problems.
    Has a new battery, new fuel filter, cleaned the ground wire as suggested on this forum. Any one have any ideas?
    Im still having the same problem too, I plugged in the code reader and it said my 3rd cylinder was misfiring so i changed the coil and plug, that didn't work. Got a new air filter too just incase and nothing. I tried cleaning the battery ground wire also and nothing. My super charger wasn't registering either, I ran diagnostic again and said my MAF sensor so i changed it and nothing and the sensor code still comes up. Thought maybe the battery so i changed it and it runs the same but now i can have my accessory on and it wont die. I brought it to a dude i know and he put it on his machine at the shop and the pressure from the engine was leaking from the gasket which is why the super charger wasn't registering. I got a few quotes and was getting 500 bucks, i got it done for 200 from the dude that told me what it was. Nothing new though except my super charger registers now, but still putting when getting on the highway or just giving it gas, usually still dies when i first start it up. Check engine light goes on and off for a couple days at a time. The dude that changed my gasket told me i should change all my plugs and wires which is easy but getting to the rear plugs is a [non-permissible content removed], the engine needs to be rolled forward. So I'm really not sure what else to do but drive it till it explodes. If you think of something let me know hahaha
    sounds like you went through everything. I don't know how many miles you have on your car but after doing what you have done, getting the plugs replaced is minor and might be worth it. The other thing is the MAF sensors can be finicky. I replaced it on mine with a rebuilt one, after a month it started acting up, I went back and got a different one, that one was also bad. Then I went back and asked if they had a new one (O'Reilleys) and for $30 more, I got a new one and the problem went away. Now about 8 months later, I am getting the stalling problem every now and then but it always starts right up and the car runs great.
    i have about 95000 miles on it, I bought it with 65000 3 years ago, hasnt given me problems till recently, Ill change the plugs and wires and see if maybe that will do it.
    edited July 2011
    Hi... my daughter's 97' grang prix GT; also was having stalling problems and I did replace the MAF sensor as you've done. The problem was solved for a short time and a mechanic replaced both the crank and cam shaft sensor's; one @ a time. He did the cam sensor first' the problem was still there and then the replacement of the crank sensor ended up solving the problem. Apparently these sensor's get so much heat and then have intermitent problems...( this will create was I understood to be called the" Hall Effect" causing the engine to stall out ) ... but once the sensors cool down, the car will start back up. At first the mechanic that that I was a little nuts; but he was only test driving the viecule a short distance. I asked him to drive the car back and forth to his home and this is when it stalled out on him on a bridge. Well I hope this helps resolve your .... problem. Please post your results; especially if this ends the stalling.