Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Prix Starting / Stalling Issues

mylilpontiacmylilpontiac Member Posts: 1
edited July 2015 in Pontiac
Okay so whats new with my little pontiac? Ever since i've got the thing ive had nothing but PROBLEMS. 2002 gt 85,000 miles...recently when i would try to start my car i would hear a loud clicking noise like my battery was dead.it would take me a few trys but eventually it would start. so i bought a new battery (it was 4 years old anyways) that made the problem go away until about a week ago it started again. now this time i know its not the battery. we tested it and it is fully charged. it wont take a jump. it wont do anything!! all i hear is a loud clicking noise. im not sure what it could be! i do not want to replace the starter if it could be something smaller.. any ideas?
Also i got a anti theft alarm installed. someone told me that if its faulty it could cause a problem starting the car.. i need help! my only car and i need to be to work on monday!!! =)

See also: (Video, 2:18) 1997-2001 Grand Prix GTP Stalling Fixed

Comments

• boyonfireboyonfire Member Posts: 2
    it is possible that you car alaram is faulty and not allowing the starter to turn correctly. but i don't understand why it would let it click, if the alarm is using the engine disable feature it shouldn't even click. hate to say it, but your teeth on your starter might be letting it slip. :(
  • coldfootcoldfoot Member Posts: 49
    My son-in-law had same problem with 98 Grand Prix. He replaced starter...no help...someone told him motor was locked up...someone else told him to take all plugs out and try to turn it over...This worked...the cylinders was full of gas and wouldnt let it turn over...you might want to try this....good luck
  • free2hoborockfree2hoborock Member Posts: 1
    same thing happened to me. i took it to goodyear and they checked the starter, alternetor, and battery (even though it was brand new). anywho they replaced the starter and $431.28 later everything is great (except the camber, stoopid camber).
  • mtgp04mtgp04 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix that now has 44,000 miles on it. At about 22,000 my my car would not start sometimes. You never know when it is going to happen, you just have to guess. We've had computer updates on the car but it still does it. Now our DIC computer shows up all the time reduced engine power, low fuel and guage shows empty when gas in tank, no traction control, trip errors and others. Has anyone had any problems like this?
  • navysailornavysailor Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1995 Grand Prix SE. 80,160 miles on it. I went to pull out of my driveway and my left rear tire was locked. the other three rolled. any suggestions what this may be?
  • walliewallie Member Posts: 1
    hello,

I have 89 grand prix. Problem started when car felt like losing power and car smoking and pulled over and smoke coming from engine. found hole in raditor fixed with jb weld and flushed the system out. car will not turn over. what are we missing.
    wallie
  • kyleraykyleray Member Posts: 1
    This last week Ive had a problem with my 99 grand prix gt. Im on my way to work get off the highway and get stopped at the red light. While im sitting there with my foot on the brake waiting, my rpm would rise like the car was trying to go. A day later still doing the same thing the rpm would go crazy then the car would die on me. I have already taken the car to two shops and they both said they fixed the problem but it is still happening. If anyone has had this problem or know anything about it that can help me fix it that would be awesome.
  • alburgianalburgian Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP Supercharged with 88,000 miles. It just started stalling while driving along. The battery light comes on and it stalls. It will re-start after. This seems to happen at slow speeds (around 35 mph) and city driving. It has also happened just coasting down a hill. We have replaced the spark plugs and wires and the alternator. I am still having the problem. Has anybody had this happen and fixed the problem? I would really like to know how. Thanks
  • alburgianalburgian Member Posts: 2
    Did you get your problem fixed? I am having the same issue with my 1997 Grand Prix GTP Supercharged. The spark plugs and wires and alternator have been replaced; but the did not help the problem. Please let me know if you have figured it out.
  • medic2891medic2891 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the exact same problem on my 2004 GT GP2. The only difference is I am not having the DIC issue. What was the solution to your starting problem. The dealer I have purchased the car from is not a Pontiac dealer, and all they have done is cleaned the injectors and reflashed the PCM a few times. I am still having this issue and am getting a little tired of it.
  • ssextonssexton Member Posts: 1
    my 99 gt did the same thing. it turned out to be an old mass airflow sensor. $240 later it runs great. This happened because of my intake. There was also a problem with my body control modulater. But i got that fixed as well.
  • booksterbookster Member Posts: 7
    1997 Pontiac Grand Prix L 3.8 SII POS.
    Bought in 1999 for a grip of cash. 3 Weeks after I. Got it, it started to die for no reason at all. I would wait for a few min and it would start. Had someone with me when it did it, so popped hood checked for spark NOPE! Check for Fuel Yep! so the is an issue with ignition system. Then it would start wile I was searching for problem. Run for a week or so then start it stalling crap again. Off to dealer it went $$$$ later no problem found new dealer $$$$ later no problem. this took me to PEP Boys where they Changed CSP Crankshaft position sensor mega $$$ Week later it's towed back in to PEP Boys under warranty new CSP and Module $$$ 8 weeks later towed back to PEP Boys for CSP MOD and 3 new coils. 2 yes 2 FN hours it died back to PEP Boys "Why well under warranty and cheaper than dealer"
    Was told when 1 part fails it takes down many OK Now new ECU CSP coils module plugs wires oil filters water temp oil sensor and a battery. [non-permissible content removed] did I get a new Car. Warp to 2007 I have put 1200 miles on the car since then It sits till I get home Over the road truck driver
    so it gets little use, But hey it runs with a battery minder on it, it has not let me down for 5 years. So I trade the hoe in on a new 2006 GP 3.8 SIII that has absolutely no guts at all.
    Well, the 06 has to back for warranty work on brakes, Damn thing. They did a lot of recall work on it as well. Well, I am now an in town truck driver so need a car. What do I see? My old hoe right there, There going to scarp her out for parts. Why she looks brand new 67K on her and I loved her. What an [non-permissible content removed] I was to sell her. So I buy the hoe back and will park the 06 for you know good dates and what knots. Bad idea the hoe has started her crap again. Now I dive the 06 to work white out side white parchment inside am get her messed up so I have to fix the 97 soon 2 car payments and a truck payment too. Don't ask yes semi truck $567 a week ouch. Oh and I failed to tell you I'm an ASE certified master mechanic with 190K of tools and I hate to work on cars LOL.
  • kish81kish81 Member Posts: 3
    Hope you can help. My 98 GTP witch is great car, has been shutting off and staling hear and there, for the last year. let it sit and it is fine. it has been getting worse. It has fuel but no spark. done all of the tune up stuff. It runs great when it is running.
  • caikencaiken Member Posts: 1
    I purchased an 04 Grand Prix in January 2007 and have had problems with hard starts intermittently since I've had it.
    The GM Repair shop can never duplicate it.
    Recently an 02 sensor in the manifold make the engine light come on. When the 02 sensor was changed the new one was defective and shut down nearly all the gas right after I left the shop, I made it back to the shop on very little power.
    I'm still not sure if there are more problems with the engine or not.
    I have always liked Pontiac until this one.
    OK the price of parts have escalated out of control the module is $485 from dealer and $278 from parts store, The CSP is still $35 coils $120 ect
    I do have a new question and it pulls up every time I look for parts. Camshaft Position sensor. I can find one on the car and the part locator can not tell me where it is.
    Does the 3.8 S II have one?? Oh on another note I will be paying the Hoe off soon and parting her out.
  • kish81kish81 Member Posts: 3
    Check your BATTERY, If It's old change it!!! I've been having starting and shutting off problems on my 98 GTP off and on for almost 2 years. Every time I worked on my car it would be OK for a little while. It would come and go but always come back. Then I read something on wikipedia about ECU's. Pontiac's are called PCU's. It reads "With advanced age, a failing ECU can cause seemingly random starting and driveability faults. For example, a vehicle may refuse to start when cranked with the starter motor, but may respond easily to a push start. Failing electrolytic capacitors in the ECU no longer smooth the power supply to the microprocessor, and the varying load on the starter motor causes sufficient line voltage fluctuation that the computer reboots repeatedly while attempting to start the engine" This started to make sense. Every time I would work on my car I would charge my battery, and It would run fine for a while. So I charged up my battery again and hooked up a volt meter to my cigarette lighter port to monitor my system voltage. It ran fine. As I would drive my car my voltage would slowly creep down. While trying to start my car the voltage would really drop. after a couple of days It wouldn't start again. the voltage was dropping below 9.5 volts while the starter was running. It was turning over fine but the computer will reboot if the voltage drops under 10 volts. The Ignition will not fire while the computer reboots. So I went and replaced my Battery. It's been 3 weeks and not single problem starting or shutting off while driving. The voltage is holding fine at over 12.5 volts and stays over 12 volts while starting. If this doesn't fix the problem you may have to change out the PCU (about $300). But try the Battery first. It is a cheep fix compared to all of the other things that most of us have tried. Hope It works for you. It has made my wife very, very happy.
  • jray0912jray0912 Member Posts: 1
    I had that problem on my '02 gt. It got progressively worse til the car would barely get out of its own way. turned out it was the catalytic converter. replaced it and no probs since. :sick:
  • dainzdainz Member Posts: 1
    Hello;

I was wondering if you had discovered what the problem is with your grand prix.I have a 97, grand prix and mine is doing the same thing.I noticed if I drive in 3rd it does not stall while I am driving anymore.. Also, when I was driving it had like jerkyness to it and the mph meter jumps all over the place...Mostly in Drive!
  • headachheadach Member Posts: 17
    i have a 1994 pontiac grand prix that has had problem after problem cinsce i bought it in 2003. it had like 67.000 miles and within a week i had to take it to the dealer to install a 400.00 EGR valve. now with 114,000 miles the problem are still coming. during last year i noticed a strong odor of gas then to realizes that gas was puring out the filler neck when i pumped it in. i ignored it because it was a small leak. i had to take it in for inspection to find that from the gas tank back was rotted out. a little thing the dealer neglected to tell me. never the less i pulled some strings to get it to pass. i knew the guy and i plan on trying to fix it. but with more problems it decided to not start. i turn the key, light stay strong and nothing. no click roar or anything. this car has that chip on the key could that be it. please can anyone help.
  • tncarmantncarman Member Posts: 82
    My Grand Prix gave me a shock the other day. I came outside and it started turning itself on and off, and it would stay on for at most 5 seconds. Of course no one was in the car and there was no key in the igniton and it doesnt have a remote start. But it was starting itself. Now have I either bought myself a Transformer or is there some major electrical problems going on somewhere that i dont know how to find. Any suggestionsfor where the problem is occurign from?
  • kitcar1kitcar1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi I wonder if anyone can help?

I imported a 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix to the UK as the begining of the year, had no problems until recently.

The car starts, however as soon as it is running it starts too stall and sucks in load of air, blows back through the exhaust and dies, very odd, fuel is fine!!

Anyone have any ideas?
  • kitcar1kitcar1 Member Posts: 2
  • ytsohptwhereytsohptwhere Member Posts: 1
    Hey,

I have a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix and it has insane problems. The Service Engine Soon light came on a few days ago and has yet to turn off. Also I get the Tac dropping to 0 and then about 5-10 seconds later the Traction Control turns off. Also when the car is cold it seems and if I am going around corners or up a hill the car will stall and sometimes it will start right away and other times it takes 5-10 minutes for the car to start. Any ideas? The car has regular oil changes and when I bought the car (summer 2004) I had the thermostat fixed and later on (mid 2005) the servies engine soon light was on forever and it turned out I needed a new Catalytic Converter and a tune up. :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • dwilliams32dwilliams32 Member Posts: 1
    I have been having stalling issues with my car 136, 000 miles.The car would not start, if you waited sometimes it would. Then it started stalling while driving, took it to the mechanic had bought a new battery, did a tuneup. Installed new plugs, wires, fuel filter, bought a new battery, reset the computer, then the stalling started happening on the highway!!!
    I used to be able to put in nuetral & it would restart and I would put into drive and keep going. It wouldn't happen for weeks then it would get worse, then stop and start again. Now when it stalls it won't start for a good 20 minutes, too dangerous to drive, My mechanic has had it 5 times over the past 6 weeks. He said there's nothing wrong with it.My husband thinks it might be the crank shaft sensor.
    I also have problems with the heater only working on 5. I did find the threads regarding the blower motor assembly & the ignition wires. Any feedback on the stalling issues would be greatly appreciated!!! :cry: :confuse: :lemon: ">
  • ant_calant_cal Member Posts: 1
    Hey,

I have a 2004 Grand Prix and I'm having similar problems. How much did it cost to fix the thermostat and a new catalytic converter?
  • dbuckenmeyerdbuckenmeyer Member Posts: 2
    Cars stalls but starts right back up. No codes in the system. Replaced the theft control mod.
  • kerribkerrib Member Posts: 1
    Wondering if anyone has heard of issues of amber engine light on, reduced power, and traction control light on, before. We have had it to the dealership, and they never find anything wrong with it. It just feels like I have a LEMON!! This is not the first problem we have had and this car is brand new off the lot June 2007. The dealership also did not offer any solution, and just said, it was like finding a needle in a haystack.
    Ok here it is answers to alot of questions.
    None are cheap.
    Stalling and not start up right away, But will after a few minutes?
    Oh it will only get worse. It will soon take up to hour before re start!
    Dealer even pontiac will fine no issues.
    It will subside in cold weather to a point.
    Answer.......... Crank Shaft Position Sensor Is Getting heat soaked.
    And slowly diying.
    Heat soak send bad or no info to Modual under coils Thus Over heating it
    And it goes out as well. Random misfire. Lean bank 1 Will show
    just b4 it all dies. When it does die for last time is sends mass of High voltage
    spark form coils Back thru system to ECU and Camshaft position sensor.

[non-permissible content removed] [non-permissible content removed] [non-permissible content removed].
    Well pontiac Admit to this NO!!
    Where did I get INFO Had Car On dyno 3/4 throtle for 2 hr 45 min with Sun Diagnostic Hooked to all the above Parts, and more when it all gave loose.
    No I did not hut motor. New Checker auto parts a Cool 1K and all is good
    Oh dynoed it again to See CSPS at 140 degrees and climming to 273
    after 1 hour. Where the hell is is getting it from.
    Serp belt is getting hot from who knows where?

FIX? Replace CSPS ASAP with what? Dealer delco part.
    Make sure the lower chin on bumper and air flow to lower engine is good
    I could see some one getting some duct work down there.
    Then Sell the hoe!! lol
  • mckimcsmckimcs Member Posts: 1
    I had the problem with my 2000 Grand Prix stalling while it was running. Typically it would happen when accelerating or idling. The problem was that the Air Flow Sensor in the Air Intake (near battery and air filter) was bad. Later the Check Engine Light finally came on. The Sensor had a low voltage reading at that point. Once replaced the car ran perfectly (I did end up with a bad replacement part from NAPA the first time). The second one fixed it for good. Note that I was having the stalls long before the Check Engine light ever came on.
  • neustkgneustkg Member Posts: 35
    I have a 2000 Grand Prix GT w/3800 V6. Has about 89,000 miles. It seems to always start when it is cold. After it warms up completely, if you turn it off (to go into a store, etc.), and try to start it again, it sometimes will not start (happened about 3 times in the last month). It turns over, but won't start (sounds like it is flooded). It will sometimes eventually start after numerous tries, but will always start when the engine cools completely.

We took it into a decent local shop, but they told me it hasn't thrown any codes. They said it could be the crankshaft sensor, ignition module, or fuel pump. They don't want to just start replacing parts as each repair can be costly with the fuel pump being the most expensive. We were hoping that it would start failing more often, especially when they had it (it always started for them) as they can't really do much as long as it always starts for them. We thought the car problems were consistent (always starts when when cold, sometimes won't start when warm, but will eventually start when engine gets cold), but it threw us a curve the other day when the engine stalled while my wife was turning into our development. Luckily, she was able to coast it a half mile to our driveway. Again, after it cooled, it started.

I have heard that a bad battery or one that will soon fail (or one that is defective) can possibly cause this (the battery in the car is 4 years old), so I might take it to a shop and have them check it and maybe replace it anyway as this would be the cheapest fix that I can do myself.

Has anyone had this problem w/the 3800 V6? Any advice? I'm hoping that if the battery doesn't do it, the car will start failing so the shop can fix the problem.
  • meandmyprixmeandmyprix Member Posts: 1
    97 Prix 3.8L V6 AutoTrans.
    The engine has just begun to stall without any warning, no hesitation. Sometimes it will restart initally, other times multiple tries are needed. 2 out of 16 times the "Check Engine Light" has come on but soon went out. I did notice that when I can restart it and while parked, it will only rpm to 4K. At 4K with constant pressure on the accelerator, the rpm's stop at 4K and the engine / rpm's act as if my 10 year old is quickly, repeatidly gunning the accelerator.
  • mrfry122581mrfry122581 Member Posts: 1
    i had trouble with my 99 grand am 3.4. it stalled while i was driving and would not start for about 20 mins. so i decided to change the FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR. that fixed the problem for me if i were you i would give it a try. the part cost me 50 but not sure about your vehicle...
  • timinatortiminator Member Posts: 3
    When I start my car, the rpms shoot way up, and after about 3 seconds come all the way down, almost to stall, but not quite. When I put it in gear, it's fine, as long as I drive with both feet; left on brake and right on gas! At idle speed, it seems to almost want to stall out but doesn't. As a result, I need to keep my foot on the brake and press the gas pedla to keep the rpms at about 1500. Not good for the brakes, either! Also, the 'check engine' light stays on all the time now.
    Ideas? :confuse:
  • btighebtighe Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem with my 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GT. The check engine light finally came on when it happened and I was able to diagnose it as a bad crankshaft position sensor..about a $50 part.
  • racing007sracing007s Member Posts: 2
    First off, I purchased this vehicle for a racing application and it was involved in a roll over accident.

My question is, is there a shutoff switch by the manufacturer in the event of a roll over or high speed accident that will disable the car?

Please help.... Thanks!

Walt
  • mistjustmistjust Member Posts: 3
    A month ago my car battery died, got it replaced and all was good for a while. Then it started to "slip" every now and then when I tried to start it. I would turn it over and I could hear it spin but the engine wouldn't crank, then the second time I tried it, it would start no problem. This has been increasing in frequency the last few weeks.
    Now this past weekend, when I decelerate to come to a stop it feels like it jerks a little when the transmission switches to its lowest gear (thats the best way I can describe it), and sometimes the "service engine soon" light comes on but usually just briefly until I accelerate again and then it goes away. Sometimes when I am idling the engine sounds like it is about to cut out, almost like it is sputtering along, but this goes away when I hit the gas pedal. at times, when it is idling, the service engine light comes on. When it is doing this the car definitely gets louder (with the sputtering..). I'd really appreciate suggestions and more information about what the possible problem could be. Also, since the car is 20 years old, I'd like to get a best guess on how much the repairs might be for this. Obviously I don't want to spend to much $$ on this car. Its done this a few times before in the past (usually every couple of months or so) but it has usually gone away when I added a half pint or so of engine oil. But this time it doesn't seem to be working.
  • drillbitdrillbit Member Posts: 1
    I have same issue. it stalls when the engine is warm. whenever engine is cold, it runs fine. i was driving today and engine lost power, so i step on the gas to prevent it. then cop appeard on amazingly great timing. got a speeding ticket. sucks though. im assuming one of the sensors might be bad is it right?
  • gearrgearr Member Posts: 21
    All the big 3 car makers put fuel kill swiches in them and GM is one
    of them.
    Gearr
  • racing007sracing007s Member Posts: 2
    Okay, do you have any idea where I should start to look? This info. will help narrow the guess work down....

Thanks again!

Walt
  • ronkrifchinronkrifchin Member Posts: 1
    My 1992 Pont GP 3.4L will not start, no spark. All fuses and connections to ECM look and test good. Timing belt is good. I'm trying to find the crank sensor to test but am having a bit of a problem. I believe I've located it but it appears to impossible to get too! If I've found the right component, it's located mid engine between the rear of the block and the transmission. Can't even get my hand up to that area! I can barely see it! Any idea how I actually get to it for testing and perhaps replacement?

Great engineering by GM!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ron
  • bjmoorenbjmooren Member Posts: 1
    Car wouldn't start this morning and key won't come out. Dash lit up as normal, but nothing but a click when I turned the key. After that everything electrical turned off and the key would not come out.

I disconnected the battery, charged it up and reconnected it. Dash lit up again, but then one click and everything electric turned off and key is stuck again.

Then tried to jump it, same result. Anyone know what could be wrong?
  • bleukrayonsbleukrayons Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Grand Prix with about 50K miles on it and my car has a starting issue as well. Every day I go home for lunch and my car sits for about 40minutes. When I get back in, the key turns and the car sounds like it starts, but to no avail it is not on. I can turn they key numerous times and nothing but lights come on. Finally, when I give the car a little bit of gas it starts up no problems, besides the engine
    revving very high. I'm not fond of starting the car like this, because it obviously should not work this way. Been taken to the GM dealer few times, but it starts fine for them. (Obviously) Wondering if you ever found out what was wrong with yours?
    bleukrayons@yahoo.com

• dbuckenmeyerdbuckenmeyer Member Posts: 2
    Are Pontiac Grand Prix started stalling while I was driving, after several months we had it put on a computer and they determined that it was the PCM. Maybe this will help. Good luck.
    I see it a lot. Most are asking why is this engine stalling why does it start fine when cold. why in park will it not go above 4k rpm or it does only go to 4k rpm.
    Stalling issue is CSP Crank shaft position sensor. Period. that is your problem.
    If the engine is not running and the CSP is not sending info the ecm Has no way of setting a code. No info no injector pluse ect. the only thing that will run is fuel pump. This is a rare problem fuel pump failing? The CSP is the problem.
    DO NOT Replace with off shelf parts store replacement/ they are cheap repo of a good AC DELCO part. Heat Soak is the issue here where it comes from is diffrent for all. Lower chin spoiler bad missing{curb checked} obstruction in the cooling chin/ bent warped ect. Correction 4" dryer duct from front chin to CSP. AC DELCO CSP only!! ok in park 4k rpm? the engine has a saftey rev limmiter that cuts fuel/spark thus over heating CSP as well. Rad Fans not running so it heat soaks wile not moving.
    Over rev to rev limmiter after start is a bad O2 Sensor /Cat/MAP sensor's they are trickey to find the correct one, start by un hooking each 1 at a time till issue goes away and that is your problem.
    Old oil will heat up faster than new. Dirty air filter will choke motor heating it up as well. This motor is MAP not MAF so it has no idea it is being choked. You will get cyl missfire bank 1 or lean miss bank 1. to over come it will run engine out to 4k hit rev limmiter to heat up cat and O2 to clear problem.GM's idea of self protection.
    ECM reflash is bad idea it adds more peservation codes, ment to keep engine up to date and clean running. air leak in map is caused by age hot cold ect. there is also the vacume line that may rub thru.

Just My 2 cents
  • timinatortiminator Member Posts: 3
    In additon, when the car is running, there is a strong smell of gas and/or exhaust coming from the engine.......Even after the engine has stopped running, the smell can be detected by standing near the car or smelling the engine itself. There is no evidence of fuel leaks under the car. Also, the car never really stalls out when idling. It seems to want to stay at about 1000rpms but fluctuates and sputters. I need to have my left foot on the brake and slightly accelerate to keep the rpms at about 1500 to keep it from sputtering. Also, the check engine light remains on.
    there is a strong smell of gas and/or exhaust coming from the engine.
    This is easy the cat is no longer working correctly and the O2 is bad as well.
    Exhaust is backing up cat is pluged. O2 is allowing excess fuel not reading right showing lean condition thus extra fuel killing cat.
  • daniddanid Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix a week ago, and I am having the EXACT same problem...I have taken it to the dealership almost everyday since I got it to see what's wrong, and they can never figure it out. Everytime I take it it starts right up...and just like you said when it didn't start for me, I pumped the gas and it started right up. They said corrosion on the battery, then it was the terminals, now they don't know, so they have my car again. Did you ever figure our what was wrong? Thanks. :sick:
  • daniddanid Member Posts: 2
    So they think they fixed my car. They said that it had a dirty throttle body and cleaned the fuel injectors, it has been working since tuesday without a bad start but it still sounds funny when it starts. I am being told by alot of people that it could be the fuel pump...I hope it's fixed...anyone know anything? :confuse: :lemon:
  • nlaagernlaager Member Posts: 1
    I have 02 grand prix that has a check engine light on and tells me to check the gas cap, in addition when the car is warmed up it stalls upon trying to start unless you rev the engine for a second then runs fine after that, I've replaced the gas cap and had a dealer reset the computer, engine light came back on just about right away, still doesn't start right either unless the car is cold. Any guesses?
    This is a common issue with all 3.8L engines
    Unless it is a series III it will be the Cranshaft position sensor Period.
    It will not set a code.
    The engine must be running for any code to set.
    Since the engine is stalling no start Cranking over ect.
    There is no referance for the engine to accept that it is in start run.
    No signal is being sent there for the ecu ecm cpu what ever you want to call it
    feels you are but sitting with key on not running.
    Get an AC DELCO Only part. The off shelf parts at local parts store
    Are pure junk. They will work But will!!! fail in less than 5k miles.
    Why is the CPS failing? Heat soak getting hot and slowly deing. The AC DELCO will fail as well but it is of better quality. 20 to 30K easy.

Good luck