Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Explorer Buying Used

fttetlowfttetlow Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Ford
I found a 2002 Explorer XLT with V8 and it has 106k miles. The current owner tells me that he replaced the transmission last year and he is also offering a $500 major mechanical 6 mo warranty (car must be serviced at the garage he usually takes his vehicles for service). I really just need the car for local driving. Should I worry about the miles on the car?? I don't know what to do. It looks like a nicely kept vehicle. I ran a Carfax and nothing showed up of concern. I'm confused!! Can anyone offer any advice? Thanks.

Comments

• waygrabowwaygrabow Member Posts: 214
    Are you able to review the complete service records for this vehicle? Did it get regular oil and filter changes every 3K miles? Was it kept in a garage routinely? What type of service did it have? From the miles, I'd guess a lot of highway miles. How much towing did he do? What reason does he give for selling it? My 1999 Explorer has 88K miles and has done well. Other than replacing one engine sensor about 4 years ago, it has been flawless. But any vehicle with 106K miles needs to be evaluated closely. At the right price, it could be a great bargain. Have you checked the "blue book" price or considered it in relation to other alternatives?
  • amyb410amyb410 Member Posts: 1
    Looking to get a family car. We have two toddlers and one more on the way. Live in Oshkosh Wisconsin. We really like the 98 Ford Explorer XLT with 90,000miles but have also lined up a 98 Chrysler T&C with 89,000 miles or 98 Chrysler Concorde with 58,000 miles.

Any major problems with any of these??
  • lagereklagerek Member Posts: 3
    You know there are lots of crying here etc. I live in Europe and the Explorer is a very sought after car here and no matter what says, the Explorer is the grandfather of all SUVs, it sort of started it!
    Ive had Range-Rover, Land-Rover, Navigator but the Explorer Ive got top them all. Not maybe for luxury but for trustworthyness etc, treated right ( oil change twice a year ) it will start and go.
    Its a no nonsense SUV the way they should be.
    Take a look at the Lexus or X5 etc, plastic and more plastic and fragile.
  • tgirl1974tgirl1974 Member Posts: 2
    I agree on the reliability factor for the most part I got my 95 in 98 with 73000 on it, and until about between 2006 and 2007 I really had minor issues. Had to replace a few expensive parts before then but few and far between it was mostly tires brakes etc with any vehicle. Until this past year and it has been one thing after another with the transmission. But It also has 290000 miles on it now also. It's been a great vehicle over the years. Before that I had an oldsmobile cutless calies with a quad 4 engine it was like an 88 i think and I got it in 93 I think if my memory is correct. it had 83000 on it when I got it and with in the first six mos it cost me over 1000 fixing issues the explorer never did that. So yeah I agree with ya it is a good vehicle all in all usually t.
This discussion has been closed.