Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Tahoe Transmission Problems

glockfanglockfan Member Posts: 30
edited September 2015 in Chevrolet
I have a 2007 Tahoe and the transmission has issues. It seems as though it is slipping when you are just starting out in first gear. I have taken it to the dealer and the dealer says all of the 2007 Tahoe's have the same transmission problem. This is really frustrating to have a $40k+ vehicle with this issue and be told by the service department that all of the Tahoes have the same problem but there are no current recalls...Anyone else have this transmission issue?

See Also
Transmission Slipping: Causes & DIY

Comments

• jbedjbed Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem, it just started, I just dropped at the dealer last night and I am waiting for a reply. Did they have to replace the whole transmission? How long did it take? Was it fixed? And by the way I have the LTZ which was over $50k, this is very upsetting, I was trying to give GM a chance, I was very impressed with the ride and the interior but now with this problem I am not too sure if I made the right decision.
  • glockfanglockfan Member Posts: 30
    My transmission problem was not fixed. The dealer told me that all of the 2007 Tahoe's have the same transmission slipping problem and since there are no recalls for the transmission problem they refused to do anything to fix it. Please let me know what your dealer tells you. My Tahoe is the LT3 4x4. Like you, I am very upset over this issue.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    If they all do it you should be able to test drive one or two from the lot and duplicate the problem. If the Tahoes on the lot don't slip then the dealer has some explaining to do.
  • rbb1rbb1 Member Posts: 4
    My 07 doesn't slip but i had to get the torque converter replaced which is on recall. They must of changed the program at the same time because I have alot more power . It feels like a completely different car.

R
    Jbed, what did the service department say was wrong with your transmission? Were they able to fix it?
  • allison5allison5 Member Posts: 130
    I have an 04 GMC Yukon and I have been noticing that when I first drive the car (I guess when it is in first gear)it seems that the transmissions slips until I get it in the next gear. However I do not always notice it but lately it has been more. I have not brought it into service yet because I am trying to figure out whether I am getting rid of it. Now if I get rid of it I have been considering getting another Tahoe/Yukon BUT if there are transmission isues I might reconsider.
  • ltpetieltpetie Member Posts: 3
    I would say that it does have a problem. We have an '07 Tahoe that is currently in the service shop, 3 states away from where we live, because it needs a new transmission. For a brand new $45K vehicle with 20K miles, needing a new transmission should be cause for concern. But, it seems at least the dealer service departments know that this is a problem even if GM hasn't figured out they need a recall.
  • citgo4mecitgo4me Member Posts: 3
    I bought a 2007 Denali 3 weeks ago, drove it 1,500 miles and guess what! I felt the transmission slip a few times while driving one night but thought it may be a break-in issue with the computer. However, taking off from a red light the transmission slipped big time & the check engine light came on. I got it home because the computer bypassed the trans and went into limp mode to get me home. The dealer has had it 3 days & the factory wants them to take the trans apart to find & fix the problem. I & my dealer are fighting for a NEW unit from the factory. $60K+ for a vehicle and they want to repair !! Great customer service GM. PS. My dealer told me there was a TSB for a clip to be replaced that was causing the transmission to slip on acceleration. I will check on the exact number if any one needs it.
    Citgo, Please let me know what the exact number for the clip is as my dealer seems to be totally unaware. Thanks
    Glock, I will post all the information as soon as I speak with the dealership & this is resolved.
    Here is some information I have printed out from GM. The document ID#1875647 covers 2007 GMC Yukon Denali, Cadillac Escalades & 2006 Corvettes with a 6L80 transmission. The related DTC's are P0777 or P2723. Your dealer should be able to easily confirm the codes. The conditions read as follows: "Some customers may comment on a condition of no movement, or slipping or binding in forward range. They may also comment on an illuminated MIL and Technicians may find DTC P0777 or P2723 may be found as a history code in the TCM. The Recommendation from GM is: "This may be the result of the 1-2-3-4 retaining ring (429) coming out of the groove in the 1-2-3-4 and 3-5-R clutch housing (427). When this retaining ring comes out of the groove a slipping 1-2-3-4 clutch can be the result. Changes to the 1-2-3-4 retaining ring (429) and the 1-2-3-4 and 3-5-R clutch housing (427) were implemented May 30, 2006 in the transmission assemblies to prevent this condition." If you want more info please let me know.
  • dingchavezdingchavez Member Posts: 19
    Hearing all these problems makes me want to go with the new Sequoia
  • cardo25cardo25 Member Posts: 2
    I had my transmission replaced on my 2000 chevy tahoe about 30,000 miles ago and it seems to be going out again. Currently the vehicle only drives in auto 4wd and does not do anything make a grinding kinda noise when I set in 2wd. Before it went out when I would be driving I would here a big boom noise after putting it into drive. Is this a transmission problem or the transfer case? When I pulled in my driveway and put it in park it started to roll backwards. I think it drives in auto 4wd because the front tires are pulling the vehice and sits there and makes a lot of noise because its a rear wheel drive suv. I got an appointment with the dealer on monday and they seem to be dancing away from warranty work already because they replaced the transmission with 100,000 mile warranty. The truck currently has 230,000 miles with the trans work being completed right around 200,000 miles.
  • catamcatam Member Posts: 331
    Your problem clearly sounds like transfer case NOT tranny. It appears you are not engaging 2wd. If you have and electronic transfer case this could be a problem with actuator, or within case itself.
  • cardo25cardo25 Member Posts: 2
    yeah they said the differential came apart on it, they want around 2000 to fix it.
  • johnny4016johnny4016 Member Posts: 112
    From the sounds of the last post it might be your Torque Converter, which is causing your transmission to slip. If the Torque Converter is on recall I would bring the Tahoe in and have it replaced.

If this doesn't fix the problem and your transmission still feels like it is slipping, then I would do what the other post said and test-drive some 07 on the lot to see if they do the same thing. If not, then the dealer has to either repair or replace your transmission under the factory bumper to bumper warranty that your 07 Tahoe should still have.

Chevy is normally pretty good about their warranty, so maybe you should go to a different dealership. The dealer is the one who will loose out as Chevy pays them. Maybe they just don’t want to do warranty work because they don't get paid as much as if it was not warranty work. You see the dealers and Mechanic charge you and I the private citizen more than 2 or 3 times what they get paid by the manufacture for the same work. Make's since why they told you what they did. They are trying to rip you off or don’t want to do warranty work. Not all the Chevy dealerships are like this. Good Luck.
  • jackofalldavejackofalldave Member Posts: 3
    Hello, I have a 2007 tahoe LTZ 4x4 with only 15,000 miles and the transmission slipped really bad in all gears just over a week ago. It worked perfect before that and I had it hauled to the dealer and it hasn't slipped at all for the gm techs. I had no lights or codes captured when mine acted this way. The dealer says they don't have a clue other than it might be one of the computers. I have a good relationship with them as I have been going there every week for 8 years and tinting car windows for their customers. So I know them pretty well. I'm wondering what my next step should be? Any suggestions from those out there with the same problem? Thanks, David
  • bizittbizitt Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Suburban LTZ that is having the same problems. The transmission is slipping and the dealer says itis fine and that is normal for a four wheel drive truck. I have had several suburbans and tahoes in the past and no problem.Do you know if this service notice applies to the sububans as well? I assume it is the same trans.
    The dealer kept mine for a week and a half and after contacting GM they said that GM put a paper out on the problem and they did something with a 1/2 conduit. I know they would code whatever they did on the paperwork they gave me, but I have no idea. It has been working good as usual since I got it back 2 days ago. Mine didn't slip really it just didn't want to shift into the next gear with out reving higher than normal. After knowing much about transmission of the past I know slipping was not happening. It was not shifting into the next gear correctly. If it truly was slipping it wouln't have gone back to normal the next time I drove it. Your GM dealer can and should get the sheet from GM company and follow its direction. Hope you get it fixed. I'm hoping mine is fixed. David
  • milammilam Member Posts: 1
    I have a Suburban that will sometimes slip on takeoff. It appears that the transmission does not properly engage the 1st gear. However, by releasing the throttle, it will then slip into gear. Does anyone else have any experience with this situation. The dealer rebuilt the pressure (?) valve on the transmission several years ago. Everything was fine until two weeks ago. My truck is about to go out of warranty. I am concerned that I will need a new transmission shortly.

Any suggestions.

Thanks,

/s/ Tom Milam, Jr.
    [email protected]
  • tahoetiredtahoetired Member Posts: 2
    I'm new to posting on sites such as this, but took the time to register b/c I'm really getting upset. I had around 17,000 miles on my 2007 Tahoe LTZ when, while accelerating up a slight grade, I heard a loud BANG, tach wrapped around as I quickly let foot off of accelerator and then I was done - nothing! I turned vehicle off, resarted it and was able to "limp" home (less than a mile) in low, though I did hear a high-pithced whining/vibration a few times during this ride. Same response as some of the other comments - argued that transmission should be replaced, but dealer said Chevy wouldn't do that on first repair. Two weeks later I got it back with a replaced forward sprag clutch, as I was told. I had taken it in just before this to have a sensor of some sort replaced on the transfer case when the message board indicated this was necessary. Message board had told me to return for service again just before I lost tranny entirely. Have around 21,000 now and we're back in the shop - slipping, occasional grind, high-pitched vibration on hills, etc. I have contacted Customer Service and have a rep calling me now, so I am hoping for a replacement, but sounds as though a new one may not be much better than what I have!
    WOW!!! That is the worst I've heard on tranny problems with the 07 Tahoe. After a trip in to the dealer one time I haven't had another problem. I have added another 6k miles. Problems can come with any mechanical machinery. The difference is in customer service. Hopefully GM will step up to the plate and handle these problems quickly with little inconvience to the customer. Keep on them and don't give up!
  • jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    That sounds pretty bad, for sure. But it's hard to take this instance and associate it with *all* 07s. This tranny has been around quite a while, with only tweaks and refinements over time (after the more major change to electronic control). The 4L60E has "been around the block", as many competitors with more than 4 gears in their vehicles love to point out for us GM owners.. :surprise:
  • jochampjochamp Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2007 Tahoe LT 4x4 bought new. I had noticed the transmission slipping, but it would then go back into gear. I mentioned to the service tech a few months ago and he said to make sure it was in 2wd rather than auto. I had a 2004 LT 4x4 and never had this issue. This past week I was driving down a busy main road and I heard a loud slipping noise and the car lost all acceleration. I was able to coast onto a side road and call the dealer. Three days later I am told it is a sprag [sic]. They are going to take a part the transmission and repair the part. The car has 9780 miles on it and I am concerned that a main component is being taken apart and put back together. Would anyone have any suggestions as to when and under what future circumstance I should demand a new transmission. I am now not feeling good about the warranty running out after three years.
  • tahoetiredtahoetired Member Posts: 2
    Can't hit ENTER too soon! Sorry about the first two tries. You have seen my initial complaint above. Anyway, just wanted you (and everyone else)to know that I, too, was told that my problem was the "forward sprag clutch". The mechanic said it appeared as though it just disintegrated. The bad part is that no one knows why, so, of course, there is no way to rest easy when it could very well happen again. The best I could get out of my Chevy rep was free oil changes for a year. Good luck, and spread the word!
  • au83au83 Member Posts: 1
    My 2007 Tahoe 4X4 LT is now at the local Chevy dealer due to what seemed to be slippage of the transmission twice in a 1 mile distance prior to it losing all acceleration. It would move in reverse and in 2nd, but nothing else. I have just over 34k miles. So far the only information, after two days and me finally calling them, is that they have ordered a part and are having to get into the transmission, but the person I need to speak with for more information is not available. The tow truck driver said he had hauled 3 Tahoes in over the past two days with the same type of problem. I left GM products several years ago after similar problems and only returned on this vehicle. Now I am questioning my decision.
  • daddysondaddyson Member Posts: 1
    Mine went bang and lost all acceleration at about 30 or 35 mph entering a freeway access road. While waiting on the side of the road for a tow, I found I still had reverse, first, and second. Decided to move to a safer place but ended driving it home 10 miles in second gear. Figured I could drive it a half mile to the Chevy dealer in the morning. Pulled in the driveway to put it in the garage. No reverse! Had nothing in P and R. Forward in all other shifter positions. No neutral with engine running. Found that with engine off there was neutral so I pushed it out of the driveway, started it up and parked it on the street. Got in the car in the morning to go to the dealer. Nothing! Key in ignition turned on power to dash but no engine response at all to turning the key. So, I called for a tow. Chevy dealer got it. Called later in the day and they couldn't find what to fix because it was working. Hah! They called later and said when the mechanic put it in reverse to drive it off the lift, it went forward! Three days gone and still not fixed. Mileage: 16,750.
  • tah04tah04 Member Posts: 8
    WHAT IS WITH THESE TRANNY PROBLEMS. MY 2004 TAHOE 21K TRANNY REPLACED, 37K THAT TRANNY REPLACED JUST GOT THE THING BACK 90 MILES TRANNY SLIPS CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON. THERE NEEDS TO BE A RECALL ON THIS TRANNY. ARE WE LOOKING AT A EARLY 80'S 700R4 PROBLEM. THIS IS A 46K DOLLAR CAR. IS THERE ANYONE WHO HAS SOME PHONE NUMBERS FOR THE CEO OF GM. IF YOU DO FOWARD THEM TO ME BEEING I CAN'T DRIVE MY 46K DOLLAR CAR I HAVE THE TIME TO MAKE PHONE CALLS. ALSO WHO IS "SERTA" CJ :lemon:
  • judadriverjudadriver Member Posts: 3
    I own 2 2007 Suburbans my tranny went on the 1st. @ 35k . Dealer went in and fixed some things inside of it.
    No sooner than I get it out the dealer my other starts to slip @ 20k. This is the worst I have lost all confidence in these vehicles. This time the whole tranny will be replaced on the week of 4th of July!!!
  • 07max07max Member Posts: 2
    I have a 07 1500 Silverado (NBS; LTZ; 13,000 miles; 6.0L) w/similar problems to those listed here. Mine tranny seems to be slipping or very slow shifting (OD down to third) when driving up a steep slope (5% or greater) or on a very long slight incline (similar to trailer haunching) as well as noticeable loss in power on the bottom end with a very noticalbe power range increases during hard exceleration. I have now had it at the dealership 7 times. The dealership has updated the AFM as well as other unspecified computer updates but with no improvement at all. They are going to be adding a computer monitor from GM to the truck next week and will be sending the monitor to GM for evaluation but they are telling me this may be a 6 to 8 month process if it is found to be a program error since they will have to have EPA approval for any changes.

Has anyone else had a computer monitor installed that is sent to GM?

Has anyone talked to their dealers about lemon laws for their problems and if so what has been said
  • judadriverjudadriver Member Posts: 3
    Only thing I heard about lemon law is the same problem have to occur 4x in order for U to have a case
  • rockman59rockman59 Member Posts: 250
    07Max said: Has anyone talked to their dealers about lemon laws for their problems and if so what has been said
    The lemon laws are pretty much a state issue and each state has different interpretations on what constitutes a "lemon" regarding vehicles and different guidlines on what you need to do to certify that you have a "lemon". Check out your state laws and see what they say.
  • 07max07max Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the input on the lemon laws. I have checked for my state (TN) and think I that may be able to proceed, but would rather have the truck fixed or replaced on good terms if possible. Will keep you informed on my progress.
  • c3gmc3gm Member Posts: 3
    We have a 2007 Chevrolet Avalance 1500 LTZ.

The Transmission, under acceleration from a stop-light, made a POP sound, then revved up to redline. The transmission only had Park, Reverse, and 1st gear. When revved up in first the transmission would whine. This vehicle had only been put into 4 wheel drive once to make sure it worked, when it was new. This vehicle's mileage is mostly highway, very few city miles. The vehicle has a total of 27,673 miles on it.

This problem resembles the same issue from the 1992-1996 model years where the Spline Drive (input shaft) pin, also reffered to as the SUNGEAR would snap. Under acceleration, approximately every 30,000 miles, the pin would snap causing the input shaft to slam into the forward gears of the transfer case. This could destroy the transmission, transmission housing, transfer-case and/or transfer case housing depending on how severe the load is under acceleration during the failure.

GM knows this part breaks easilyunder load or heavy acceleration (merging, passing, emergency acceleration) and has for nearly 20 years (1998). Why does it appear again in 2007?

C3 :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • thereisnospoonthereisnospoon Member Posts: 12
    WAKE UP!!! People are wondering why their Chevy's have issues like the GM lemons of old. If you did research before buying your lemon GM vehicle, you would find out that massive changes haven't been made to the GM architecture in just about 10-15 years. Not to mention, the new Tahoe, Suburban, and Avalanche are being built cheaper than ever before. There's gotta be something behind how GM can now make almost 10 grand more on the new Tahoe than the old one, yet the new one has all of these "revolutionary" changes. The only change I see is just what GM does - replaces the body parts, stiffens the frame every now and then, and keeps the old 30+ year technology under the hood. Wake up - buy a Ford - you'll be much, much happier.
    Update:

2007 Avalanche-

1) Replaced Sprag Gear
    2) Replaced clutch packs
    3) Re-flashed PROM for DVD Navigation system
    4) Re-flahsed PROM for Console

This cured the problems of the DVD navigation system failing with the A/C Controls and Radio rendered inoperable.

So far, 1400 miles and the transmission is still holding together. No one has raced off of a redlight under full-throttle acceleration, nor have they attempted to repeatedly stand in the throttle in order to accelerate rapidly. My guess is, the next time it happens, it will break again.

In response to the Ford Comment. our 1999 Tahoe worked flawlessly for 167,000 miles- and I do mean FLAWLESSLY.
    The difference was, that 1999 Tahoe had driveline slop which caused clunking and clattering and sounded as though something was wrong, when in fact, there was nothing wrong.

I don't hear of these problems in the Pickup, why is it only happening in the SUVs? :confuse:

C3
  • tahoe007tahoe007 Member Posts: 4
    YOU ARE SO RIGHT! I read these messages and the transmission problems are the same as the 1997 Tahoe. I was a diehard GM owner, never would buy anything else, until all the problems with my $34,000 1997 Tahoe which left me on the side of many roads. In 2002 purchased a Ford F-250, best truck I've ever had (and still have). I use the Tahoe for short trips to the store, but no long trips from home. I finally did wake up!
  • vincehardvincehard Member Posts: 2
    hello im another who will stand with you on that one a 2000 yukon xl slt 4x4 with auto ride an my trans went out at 20,000 miles they rebuilt it it went out again at around 40,000 miles then 6 times more at a transmission shop then i went to the dealer an put in a serta it lasted for 20,000 miles then it went out then they put in another serta trans an it went out before i could go down the street 3 block,s im outa pocket on at least 12,000 dollars an get this its still at the dealers now with all the excuses in the world an its my faught so thanks for sharing your storie i,ve been asking them for a few years now i payed 55,000 for the suv been in the shop at least 6 months since ive had this problem an they dont wana put another trans in an its still under warranty 20,000 miles on it an they diagnostic the truck many times to where the servic guy is lying an making up stories ooh it the map sensor wrong ooh its the 22,s rims wrong so theyre decline my warranty on it as of now i was told from the dealer how does a trans straight from the box go out in two blocks an my check engine lite wasnt comming on on these lste attemps but before on trans number 6 or so it was comming on like it should if the trans were having a problem but now they knew that the trans was out from a test drive with my self an the trans was slipping badly 2nd gear an the check engine lite wasnt on they knew they should have checked out why diagnostics of coarse but did they no they supposley put in a new one but it lasted not even one mile now thats a little about my storie they want me to pay again for another trans 4,500 because they cant diagnostics rite or just maybe your rite theyres somthin wrong rite out the box with this trans desighn or it,s really to small of a trans for a 7000pd suv it also in the z28 camaro 3,500 pds same trans dont make an sences but i beleive they are hidding the problem so let me know who you contacted please its just the run around game at the service center they say things that they will do but have no authority to have work done yes im in need of a ceo also numbers who you have called it caused a great hardship on my shoulders really especialy when the service guy has to lie to you but im with you on this one vincent 1760 718 3015 call me if you would like to combined up on this one they really need a recall ive been asking an all they say is no an that noone eles of coarse is having this problem out of a yukon xl with only 77 thousand miles on it 11 trans replacements whata shame the way gmc or chevrolet is treating us what good is it to have it fixed an go a few blocks an it broke again its a hardship vince
  • vincehardvincehard Member Posts: 2
    i have my problem for 70,000 miles get rid of it while you can 11 trans an my outa pocket is ab out 12,000 dollars an they are not going to do anything about this problem but give you a headache or a new scratch or ding while its in the shopp mines is a 2000,yukon xl 4x4 had new trans is out right now after i baought a new serta 20,000 later it went out then they replaced it they said went down the street an two blocks later it went out the first day so i say that im in love with the truck its been in the shop over the years about 6 months for trans problems an all they would say i its old but i,ve been trying all this time to trust the suv never know when the trannys going to blow even out of the crate for 4,500 bucks an you know what they put the same trans in the newer suvs whata dog they are knowing the complaints they get on these expensive trucks an they want me to buy a new one im glad i found this site to learn that that trans is in the new ones too thats not good they havent shared the expense with me just alot of talk from service i thought i was buying the best suv in the world an baoght somthing that doesnt work long an they wont stand behind theyre product but if i were you buy a ford or nssan suv i cant say that theyre going to treat you like me but i like my truck an im outa 12,000 for trans an its out again while its under a serta trans warranty an that were once outa the box serta it went out in 20,000 an then another one serta warranty the it lasted two blocks an slipped i said noway couldnt be that in two blocks but it was now theyre making up so manny excuses about the blame took my money an dont want to warranty this trans from gmc seta a third time warranty were 50,000 miles 5 years get this only two years slipping hear an their 20,000 miles on this serta trans from gmc an they wont warranty anymore which going to cost me another 4,500 for a new trans thats not right thats all i ever baught were gmc corp for years an they wont take care of the custumers my problem started at 20,000 mile first rebuilt trans free after that twent thousand later out of warranty i had to start paying then an twenty thousand later again so while its still young trade in that goose for a swand
  • lilsuthernlilsuthern Member Posts: 1
    IF YOU CAN CHANGE THE FILTER IN YOUR TRANNY YOU CAN TO THE "REBUILD" YOU JUST GOT CHARGED A GRAND FOR YOUR SELF! I HAD THIS SAME PROBLEM IT DROVE FINE UNTILL STOP AND THEN FELT LIKE GETTIN HIT IN REAR FROM 1ST TO 2ND, TURNS OUT WHEN I CHANGED MY FILTER ALL OF THE SOLENOIDS THAT ARE CAUSING THIS PROBLEM ARE RIGHT THERE! NO NEED TO REMOVE TRANNY! AND KITS ARE AVAILABLE FOR ABOUT 125.00! SERIOUSLY IF A 30 FEMALE FROM SC CAN DO THIS YALL CAN TOO! IT TOOK DAYS OF RESEARCH AND ALOT OF WILL POWER BUT I FOUND THE PROBLEM AND ITS NOT EVEN A HARD JOB, A LIL MESSY BUT HEY SAVES YA ABOUT 1500.00 AT THE SHOP!
    ;)
    All of you should visit the National Highway Traffic Safety site located at link title

You can file complaints and fill out forms that send your issues to the investigative group at NHTSA. Its the only way to get GM to recognize the issue.

Also, Contact CNN and file a request for STORY submission at CNN.COM

C3
  • graybardgraybard Member Posts: 1
    I noticed my first slippage early. Same response from the dealer as may others have posted here. At @41,500 miles, just finished turning a sharp curve on an incline when I got the loud bang (thought I'd blown a tire) and immediate loss of power. Remaining was reverse and limited lower gear. Chevrolet dealer said "not a common problem" but it may be time to get rid of this one. My fourth GM over the past 10 years, but not sure I'll stick with them. Car is still under repair so we'll see.
  • dabigdawgdabigdawg Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem. 07 Z71 Suburban with 8,200 miles. This is crazy. My dealer, however (valley Stream Chevy) did tow the vehicle to its shop, and they REPLACED the entire tranny unit. I cant understand why a NEW 50K vehical could have tranny problems. I LOVE my truck, however I cannot deal with these kind of 80's quality problems.
  • miafiremiafire Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE A 2002 TAHOE JUST HAD THE SAME EXPERIENCE WITH THE TRANSMISSION THAT YOU ARE DISCRIBING, THEY( THE DEALER) PRETTY MUCH BLAMED ME FOR NOT HAVEING THE TRANNY SERVICED EVEN THOUGH THE ONLY MADATE FOR SERVICE IS AT 100000 MILES.
    IT IS GOING TO COST ME 2700 TO GET REPAIRED. PRETTY DISCOURAGING. I WILL HAVE TO SAY THE SINCE MY PROBLEM RIDEN CHEVY TAHOE (LIFTER NOISE PROBLEM,LIFTERS REPLACED STILL SAME NOISE BLAMED ON 5.3 MOTOR,TRAN, A/C EVAPORATOR, STEERING COUPLER)THAT I HAVE PURCHASED TWO CARS BOTH TOYOTAS. I AM A CHEVY FAN HAVING OWED MANY CLASSIC CORVETTES, CAMAROS HOWEVER WITH THE MISERABLE EXPERINECE WITH MY TAHOE I CANNOT JUSTIFY SPENDING 35K ON A VEHICLE
    THAT JUST LAST TILL THE PAYMENT AND WARRANTY ARE BOTH COMPLETE.
  • tpucketttpuckett Member Posts: 1
    My wife drives a 2007 Suburban LTZ, 4X4. She first had problems with the transmission slipping when it was in auto. The dealer could find nothing wrong and told her to keep it in 2wd only. She has all of her maintenance performed by our local dealer regularly. Last week she was taking our children to church when she heard a loud noise and then the vehicle stopped. The wrecker was called and the truck spent the next three days at the dealership having the sprag gear replaced. The vehicle has only 34,000 miles and has never been off-road or towed a trailer. My wife has strongly expressed her anger with both the dealership and General Motors. There is an apparent problem with the transmission and GM showed have a recall. GM sent us a letter suggesting that we contact the BBB AUTOLINE to discuss our disattisfaction with our car. The number for the BBB is 1-800-955-5100. This is our 6th Tahoe/Suburban in twelve years and we have lost all confidence in it. I have been driving it in auto since we got it back and the transmission is slipping worse than before we lost the sprag gear.
  • msivorymsivory Member Posts: 6
    Let me tell u MY story. I have an 07 Tahooe 13,000 miles. I put E85 fuel and my truck wasnt compatible. Such an idiot i am. On my way home the Stabilitrack light came on.Came home called the dealer they said that it shouldn't hurt it but try to get as much gas out as possible. Well, later that night I drive down the street and the Stabilitrack light comes on to be serviced AND the engine light comes on and when I accelerated it felt like someone hit me in the back. I thought for sure i messed up my car with that E85 I could have beat myself. I drove it straight home and got it towed to the dealer. They told me that The stabilitrack light came on because I have 22inch rims which is not true. The same day i purchased my SUV we drove it straight to the tire shop to put them on and that was about a year ago. He told me the engine light was on because of the gas.. Ok i believe that.. but he said there were no codes comming back for a problem. I told him they need to run more tests besides looking for codes because its jerking. Come to find out... I have a transmission problem and he told me that ALOT of newer Tahoes and Suburbans are having the same problem. So NO it wasnt MY fault about the gas it was just all coincidental that all of this happend at one time. My SUV has been in the shop for 2 weeks now they part they ordered was called the "Vaulve Body" which is an internal component in the trans thats causing it to slip. I should get my baby back next week. This is my first AND last GM vehicle. Although I hear that many are having issues with their local service place I would fight with them until they fixed the issue.Go to their boss.. their bosses boss. GM has a problem and its obvious, their transmissions in their SUVs suck!
  • tahoeindianatahoeindiana Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Chevy Tahoe that I bought used in Feb. 05. I took it to the local chevy dealer to inquire about an extended warranty and he made the comment that it has had transmission work but didn't elaborate. In August of 05 (approx. 40,000 miles on the vehicle) I tried to back out of my parking spot to discover I had lost reverse gear. The remaining gears rapidly followed as I limped it back home. GM explained that there was a weak part in my transmission and they would replace it with a stronger one. I think my out of pocket was around $150 because this part had already been replaced under warranty with the previous owner. Now, two years and barely 15,000 miles later, out goes reverse again, leaving me stranded. I have been contacting GM for three weeks trying to get some type of answer from them. Finally did. They will do nothing since they "good willed" the last repair. To me, this is outrageous! The same part goes bad 3 times in 55,000 miles and they do nothing? The way it sounds, the newer ones have the same junk transmission as I do. If I looked it up right, it is a 4L60E. I wouldn't have the slightest idea of how to start a class action law suit but if anyone else does, count me in. These trucks are too expensive to start with (poor gas mileage, initial cost, etc). and then we have to replace/repair transmissions every 15,000 miles????????? Any suggestions/comments would be appreciated.
  • fburroughsfburroughs Member Posts: 1
    hello, my name is Felicia and I purchased a 2002 Tahoe in Feb 05 at less than 50,000miles i forget hot much but my father told me to get the trans serviced at 50,000miles and not to forget but anyway i forgot and the trans went august of last year my fathers mechanic whom which is a crook put a 1500 trans 6mos warranty on it. less than a year later it went again which cost another 15oo. at first i felt guilty and thought it was my fault but maybe it wasn't completely my fault it went the first time i don't know what to do at this point. i was thinking to save up and have a new trans put in or buy another car, i love my truck it comes in handy for the snow cause i love just being able to ride over the snow but i don't know what to do. i was suppose to start nursing school but i can't afford to cause i'm putting too much money into my truck with these tranmissiong set backs and it's really frustrating what did you do or what do u suggest since u have the same situation if you don't mind u can email me back at [email protected]
  • karinagukarinagu Member Posts: 1
    We have a 1999 Suburban.Automobile starts up very good. But when engine warms up, in freewheeling, auto starts to twitch and very often throttle. All gas sistem is proof. But nobody can prevent this problem. Can someone tell what is the problem?
  • tahoe99helptahoe99help Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Tahoe (2dr) and I only can go forward. Yes, my reverse is totally gone! Its weird to me because everyones telling me all I may have to do is replace the filter but I don't know where to start or if that is even the problem.