Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Lucerne Electrical/Lighting

fcoxfcox Member Posts: 7
Any tips on how to remove the headlamp assembly? I am trying to upgrade the low beams to the Silverstars and can't budge it after removing the three visible bolts. What am I missing? Thanks!

Comments

• wwelchwwelch Member Posts: 2
    I purchased my 06 Lucerne in June 06. The primary complaint I have is that here in Phoenix where the sun shines all the time, and I wear sunglasses while driving I cannot see the dials on the instrument panel. I have talked to the dealer, emailed Buick and complained to anyone who will listen.
    Buick's reply to my email in August said I could expect a fix in November 06. November came and went - no fix. A reply to another email in late November said I could expect a fix in early 2007. Does anyone else have this problem?
  • noahmannoahman Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2015
    wwwelch. I am a Buick dealer in New Jersey and have experience your problem first hand. There is however a fix that has been released. The fix requires replacement of the instrument panel. Your local dealer should be able to look up the repair.
  • noahmannoahman Member Posts: 3
    Correction; the problem requires replacement of the instrument cluster not panel. dgale
  • eecneeecne Member Posts: 13
    I just bought a CXL. Does anyone know how to use the Valet Lockout feature?
  • klikesfinsklikesfins Member Posts: 1
    My Lucerne is back in the shop for the second time with a dead battery. They replaced the starter last time, but it seems more like something electrical is draining the system. Anyone here of any problems popping up on the the year old car?
  • cxs2006cxs2006 Member Posts: 8
    My 2006 Lucerne cxs has been to the dealers 3 times. The battery goes dead if it sets for 4 to 5 days. Dealer has been going out of their way to fix it but no results so far.
    It goes in Monday April 2. These cars are supposed to have a low battery protection circuit. Good luck with yours.
    cxs2006
    Has the dealer tried just replacing the battery or altenator?
    I really like my 2006 lucerne cxs, but the battery runs down if it sets for 4 to 5 days. Has been to dealer 3 times already but still not fixed. They have been calling GM but no results so far. Its going in next week again.
    No, I asked them to replace the battery but the dealer says it checks out ok. These cars are supposed to have a battery run down protection device. They haven't replaced it either.
    Yes, I know it has the run down protection. However, the battery can have a dead cell which would result it not operating underload properly. Go to autozone with the car and have them run a load analyis on your battery, its a free service.
    The car is only 4 months old 2045 miles, but good idea I'm off to Autozone. Thanks..
    Well April 09, my Lucerne may be fixed. The dealer installed a new battery and downloaded new software to the PCM and the Door lock controller.
    I have been taking the battery voltage every 12 hours since Sat. and it seems to be holding at around 12.52 v.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,122
    Did you get the battery checked at Autozone?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

No I decided this is the dealers problem. Don't want anyone else getting involved. I believe it is fixed now..
    Thanks
    More power to you. I was curious if the battery was defective or if there was something draining it.

I might not ever know if the battery was defective. Because they also downloaded new software to the pcm. I insisted they change the battery. maybe that's why they did it. I asked them to charge the old one and set it on the bench for a week and see what the voltage was. If they do that and learn anything I'll let you know.
    Thanks.

• kcwolfpack59kcwolfpack59 Member Posts: 122
    Mom had the same rundown thing happen when she first got her Lesabre. It seems that she thought she was turning it off when in fact, she was turning it to accessory. This ran down the battery after a day or so. Turning it to accessory over rode the rundown protection. She is now aware of this and it has not happened since. I believe the Lesabre and the Lucerne use the same type key swith.
    Does that mean she was leaving the key in the ignition after she left the car?

Yes, It was in the garage. The switch has a different feel to it and it was much easier to turn to accessory that her previous car.
  • jhconleyjhconley Member Posts: 1
    I have the same complaint over not being able to see the speedometer in bright sunlight. Dealer says I have the new bolder IPC, but it does not solve the problem. I attached a small metal housing enclosing a 4 watt bulb from a 24 volt Malibu patio light set to the top of the steering column assembly. It plugs into the accessory outlet. It works great, but it looks terrible on a new $30K automobile. At least I can now see the speedometer in daylight--even with sun glasses on which is a major safety concern for me. Buick needs to come up with an improved instrument panel cluster lighting system to resolve this.
    This is strange. They make a buzzing sound instead of the chime. Will go back to the dealer, but I am curious, did anyone else have this problem?
  • b88lazerb88lazer Member Posts: 21
    The fuel quantity sensing and display indicators (fuel gage and DIC Fuel Range readout) have been significantly inaccurate in my 2007 DTS since the vehicle was purchased a year ago. For example: the fuel gage indicates 7/8 to 3/4 when the tank is fully topped-off; when the vehicle is started, the fuel gage indicates a completely random level which is never the same as the level existing when powered down; while maintaining constant speed and throttle setting, fuel quantity will change rapidly for no apparent reason. In addition, the DIC Fuel Range readout shows more or less range remaining consistent with the erratic gage readings. The dealer has replaced the tank fuel level sensor but the problem remains. Any similar experiences? Suggestions?
  • jeskoljeskol Member Posts: 2
    When set to Automatic, the day time running lights fail to come on within a reasonable time. I've had it to the dealer and they say it's running to specs. I cannot believe that this is how Buick wants these things to function. I drive west every morning, and the sun is streaming into the car from the rear window, making it impossible to see anything on the dashboard, but until the sun is overhead, the headlights continue to stay on, and the dashboard lights are dim. I now travel with a flashlight to shine on the sensor so that the headlights will go off an the running lights will kick in.
    I've noticed that the sensor reacts to a solid blue sky as if it were dark and leaves the headlights on, but an overcast (white cloudy) sky as if it were light and turns the day time running lights on. I am not unfamiliar with how these things should work, and never had this problem with previous cars, but I'm fed up with the dealer telling me this is the expected performance.

Anyone else having these issues?
  • vic10vic10 Member Posts: 188
    Can't speak for the Lucerne, but my 300C operates the same way. I'm driving home with sunglasses on and the headlights come on. But since I have real gages, it's not much of an issue....
  • jeskoljeskol Member Posts: 2
  • jef4jef4 Member Posts: 11
    You are correct. The same thing has been happening to my Lucerne. One morning I almost called the Buick garage to tell them of the problem when the lights finally came on 20 minutes later.
  • rmellormello Member Posts: 11
    I am having the same exact problem with my 2006 Lucerne -purchased new. I have complained to Buick several times, by emails, telephone, letter to President of Buick, my dealership but no results. It takes twelve miles of driving for my fuel gauge to correct itself. Needless to say I am frustrated. Buick tells me this is normal and can take up to 10 miles of driving to correct itself. If -according to my dealership- I want an accurate reading before I start a trip, I should find a level spot and pull over and restart my engine.
    I have seen many online complaints about this problem. I have an 06 Lucerne, same issue.
  • philip11philip11 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2008 Lucerne one month ago, and I have the same problem.
    GMC is giving me the same BS. The guage is suppose to move around.
    I drove a bus for 37 years, and I know what I am talking about.
    Its probly the same as the dash not being seen in the sunlight a couple years ago..
    They have a defect and doint know or want to fix it.
    I have been fighting with Buick for over 1 year -no results. In Nov I sent a letter to:

Jim Bunnell
    General Manager, Buick-Pontiac-GMC
    100 Renaissance Center
    Mail Code: 482-A29-D76
    Detroit, MI 48265-100

I received a call from Detroit just before XMAS, I am waiting for a call back. This will be my last attempt to solve this problem. Next car will not be a Buick.

rmello
    This message updates and corrects information in message #1 of 5 on the above subject. The vehicle in question is a 2007 Buick Lucerne CXS, not a "DTS" as originally cited. I apologize for the inexplicable brain fade and should have corrected this error much sooner.

The fuel sensing and display gripe described in my original post still exists. The fuel tank fuel level sensor has now been replaced twice with no corrective effect. The dealer's service manager subsequently escalated the problem within GM and was advised to run electrical continuity and resistance checks on all wiring and devices in applicable fuel sensing and display circuits. No problems were found. On two occasions, I've had DIC "low fuel" warnings with well over 8 gallons of fuel remaining. I've learned that other Lucerne (and some Cadillac) owners who bought from and have vehicles serviced at this dealership have reported similar fuel gaging inaccuracies that have not been solved. This problem is apparently far more widespread than GM acknowledges and the work-around fix seems to be "fill up often". Inattentive gage watchers should keep comfortable walking shoes in the trunk.
    Good Luck with replacing the fuel tank lever. Buick replaced mine and it did not solve the problem. I belong to AAA and according to them, the problem is with the compute(s). They are programmed with incorrect specifications and Buick does not have a fix.
    Do you have a link or other reference to AAAs information about the Buick fuel level indication problem? That would be helpful. Thanks
    AAA has John Paul referred to as the "Car Doctor". He told me about the fuel gauge computer problem.

Hope this helps.
  • paradox2paradox2 Member Posts: 8
    God, would it be that I only had your problem. I wouldn't care if I didn't have a gas gauge at all, if that was my only problem.. What I do have is:
    Vibration at highway speeds
    Pulls to the right
    Transmission noises
    Steering noises
    Wind noise
    Car dead, no electrics (Twice now)
    Lower body trim falling off
    Trunk release failed
    Headliner detached
    Loose transmission inspection plate
    Transmission leak
    Remote mirrors, no memory return
    Remote start..works sometime, sometimes not
    Heated seats...works sometime, sometimes not
    Warped front brake disks
    Dash lights too dim
    Electrical plug in rear door detached
    Engine knocks
    Rattle in the 6 CD changer
    and of course a crazy fuel gauge.

There is more, but I am getting angry again and am shaking too much to type. This piece of crap will be traded for a Lexus before the warranty is up. I pity the next owner. What a sucker I was.
    Sorry to hear about your many problems, I have read many reports by other Lucerne owners with many of the same problems as yours. Fortunately, my only problems is with the instrument readings. Besides the fuel gauge, the outside temp gauge is always wrong -off as much as 17 degrees-, the tach gives incorrect readings, the instrument cluster is difficult to see in the daytime -especially if wearing sunglasses. As I have stated before, I have contacted Buick many times, even wrote a letter to the President of Buick, no response. This will definately be my last Buick.
  • gorphilgorphil Member Posts: 27
    My 2005 and current 2008 Allure(LaCrosse) have the same inaccurate fuel gauge readings. I have never thought of this to be a problem as I use the trip odometer to determine the next fill up. My brother-in-laws 2006 Allure provides accurate reading.
    I have been driving for over 50 years and this is the first car -and the most expensive I have ever owned- that does not give me accurate readings. For what I paid for this car, I want all my gauges to work properly. What car ever built requires you to drive 10+ miles before the fuel gauge gives an accurate reading? Or, what car ever built -according to Buick- requires you to find a level spot on the road and restart the engine to get an accurate reading before you start a trip?

This to me is pure nonsense.
    I read your post about fuel gauge readings... I found this in a quick search of the net and it makes sense.

"Fuel gauge: The engine may not start or may stall because the tank is empty yet the gauge shows fuel remaining, or the fuel gauge will not show full after refilling due to sulfur corrosion of the fuel level sender and, if after treating with Fuel System Cleaner PLUS the problem remains, the sender may need to be replaced. (2004-06) "

I recall some gasolines have had trouble with too much sulfur (or not the right additives to handle the sulfur) from a couple years back. That included a name brand in the Louisville area. I have a suggestion.

At Pepboys or Advanced Auto or Meijers or Walmart they sell Techron Fuel System Cleaner additive by Chevron. I think there's even a rebate for all of the purchase price back on the 12 oz bottle that I saw in an ad within the last week. Maybe a company rebate rather than the chain store... Note this is Fuel System Cleaner. There's another version called Injector Cleaner, which I believe to be weaker.

The bottles say it can help protect your fuel gauge from malfunctioning. I would use the 12 oz bottle as directed. Put in with tank almost empty at the gas pump. Put in up to 12 gallons or 20 gallons of fuel. Then drive without adding fuel until almost empty. It may clean the corrosion off the contacts that rub for the fuel gauge to give the reading on fuel level. You might use it a second time. But don't use it continuously. I use it one or two times a year in my leSabres. It always makes the engine seem better after a few miles when I put it in. I don't believe in additives but this one was recommended years ago by BMW and then others to clean injectors and deposits before gasolines additives were improved. It's the additive blends Chevron/Texaco put in their fuels.

What you are describing is not my problem. My fuel gauge problems started from day one when I purchased the car new (Aug 2006). I have had several contacts with other Lucerne owners experiencing the same problem as I. This problem is occurring in the 2007 and 2008 models. As for LeSabres, I have owned two, a 1989 and a 2002 both purchased new and never had any problems with the fuel gauge -always giving me correct readings. As I stated before, I have been driving for over 50 years and never had any problems with fuel gauges on any car I have owned. This is a Buick screw up.
  • rjwelshrjwelsh Member Posts: 4
    Since I took delivery of my new Buick Lucerne CXL the gas gauge has never read properly. It either reads right or a quarter tank less than what is in the tank. GM has checked all the wiring, dropped the gas tank? and replaced the sending unit as well as the computer upgrades. Nothing they have done has fixed the problem. If anyone hears of a fix please advise. Thanks Bob
  • mistybluemistyblue Member Posts: 2
    I had a gas gauge problem on my 1999 Cadillac w/Northstar engine... the Fuel Pressure Regulator was replaced & it resolved the issue..... I do not know if my 2007 Lucerne CXL has the same part as I not having an issue @ this time....Good luck....
    If you are not having a problem with your fuel gauge, you are fortunate. Owners of 2007 and 2008 Lucerne's are experienicing the same problem as me. Again, according to Buick, this is their design and may take up to ten miles of driving for the fuel gauge to correct itself. They are right as I have tested this several times.

Not sure why yours work correctly and mine doesn't.
    Buick has a fix for the darkness of the instrument cluster, I had it done on my 2006 Lucerne. They completely replace the instrument cluster with a cluster that has bigger and brighter numbers. The cluster still does not light up during daytime but, the bigger cluster is definately easier to see. It takes about 1 hr to make the change.

Hope this helps.

Roger
    I received a document ID #2074841 #PIC4799 concerning my fuel gauge problems with my 07 Buick Lucerne CXL from General Motors. This is a problem for 2006-2008 Buick Lucerne and Cadillac DTS models. Should anyone wish a copy of the service bulliten please let me know.

Bob
    I would like to get a copy of the TSB you cited in post 20 of 20. How can we arrange that? Thanks
  • cordinercordiner Member Posts: 2
    I would like a copy of the document you mention in post 20. Many thanks!
    I could mail a copy to you?? Bob