Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Is Cadillac's Image Dying and Does Anyone Care?

Comments

• punkr77punkr77 Member Posts: 183
    GM is already building in S. Korea. Not much different from China (politics aside). If I remember correctly, GM bought up parts of the now dead Daewoo company.
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    "Yeah they will run forever and not fall apart,"

That is all in perception that has been marketed by Toyota for years. Chevy has always had that run forever perception as well but in reality it comes down to how well it was maintained.
    I can see how people may claim they are bad because they didn't have the offerings within certain catagories, and maybe the fit and finish were not that great, but from my eyes they were still very good cars but just a little dated. The Cimmeron was not a bad car, just an economy car from another brand with a Cadillac name on it. It was a bad idea to bring an economy car into a line up of large luxury yachts.
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Member Posts: 6,043
    As long as the reason for buying a car for you is to look at it in the driveway or the auto repair shop; good for you! But if your goal is to purchase a vehicle that runs and drives, that you can actually use, then Lexus and Toyota are clearly superior choices to Cadillac.

Unfortunatly the data does not back up your image of these makers. In the 2006 JD Power VDS (at 3 years) Lexus is 1.36, Cadillac 1.63 and Toyota 1.79 problems per vehicle. In the Initial quality study it is the same kind of numbers. I know you will state that it is different at 5 and 10 years and I admit I do not have data, but I just do not see the "clearly superior" "runs and drives" statement really being a clear opinion. Just your biased opinion not based on facts, at least not enough facts to make a clear opinion.
    As far as I know there is no 100% American built car. The closest it comes domestically is the Chevy Impala, Monte Carlo, and Buick Lacrosse at 92%. The Toyota Camery is either 80 or 85%, I don't recall which one.
    Very funny, but last I looked Toyota was like #15 in vehicle reliabilty, and that is based on 2006 models. Buick and Cadillac both bested Toyota, while Lexus was at the top with Porsche and the other two mentioned.
    Daewoo is still in business and thriving. With their big come back last year they overtook Kia buy over 100,000 units, and now are the second largest auto company in Korea.
  • lokkilokki Member Posts: 1,200
    Very funny, but last I looked Toyota was like #15 in vehicle reliabilty, and that is based on 2006 models. Buick and Cadillac both bested Toyota, while Lexus was at the top with Porsche and the other two mentioned.

Look Again

Wasn't 2005 either

Perhaps you prefer Forbes which factors in J.D Powers Ratings?

Or Warranty Direct?

You're entitled to your opinions but not your own facts.

However, I'm willing to say that my sources could be wrong... Please give us a cite to your list which shows Toyota as #15 in vehicle reliability.
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Member Posts: 6,043
    I think you mean GM-Daewoo. GM bought their Engineering facility and some of their plants. The rest is gone.
  • punkr77punkr77 Member Posts: 183
    I'd love to see what study you used, too. I'd be very suspicious of any survey that put Porsche at the top of the reliability list. Sweet, sexy, fast? Yes. Reliable? No.
  • louisweilouiswei Member Posts: 3,715
    BTW, was Land Rover ahead of Toyota on that list as well?

:surprise:
  • mediapushermediapusher Member Posts: 305
    GM has botched up their attempts on many things. When they do it, it screams loud, because they've done it too many times. Case in point ---> The Cadillac Catera, which was essentially a cosmetically engineered German Opel. Is the Opel an ok car in Germany? I don't know. If it gets average to above average marks in Germany, then there is something very wrong with this picture. Why did that car have so many engineering problems here in the U.S.A. as the Cadillac Catera?
    The fact that we dropped 2 enormously sized atomic bombs on them might have something to do with it. :\

If you think about the psychology of it, this is way the Japanese figured they would win the war ---through finances and better business competition, even though I would agree it's not fair competition. Also we seem to be more than willing to accept their double standards, quite simply because we need their cash and cash generating practices.
    I don't find my refrigerator or stove uninteresting. I sleep in front of my dishwasher and refrigerator cause I like the noise they make. My dishwasher keeps my kitchen looking neat and helps me save tons of time in the kitchen, and my refrigerator keeps my food from spoiling, and my stove keeps me from having to rub two sticks together to cook food or build a stone cave to cook pizza :)

Apparently Style as opposed to substance will always win over many people. I think the Lexus 460 has tons of personality. If a Lexus 460 drives by, I know it instantly. A Lexus 460 tells me the person has class, elegance, intelligence and money, even though all of those points may not be true.

On the other hand if I see a person driving a Cadillac :lemon: , it makes me think of gaucheness, a person who isn't smart with their money, and it also makes me think a person will regret that purchase later. I've heard too many horror stories regarding GM's products :lemon: , even today.

There are far too many negative psychological attachments involved when one thinks of a GM :lemon: vehicle based on what they have done to people in the past and what they continue to do

GM :lemon: doesn't seem to be very adaptable to change, nor do they like change. Markets change and customer's needs change. This has always been, it's nothing new, however GM doesn't want to acknowledge it.
    paisan HOST Apr 06, 2007 (5:38 am)
    On the Toyota/Lexus thing. I personally find that most Toyotas/Lexus have zero personality. They are like a refrigerator or the stove in the kitchen. Most folks don't even know what brand they drive! The "classiest/luxurious" lexus even has zero personality. Yeah they will run forever and not fall apart, but I'll take something with personality like a CTS or STS over them any day as a side note I'm no GM/Caddy fan either.

-mike
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Hard to say, but if we drove a Toyota and a Chevy out of a showroom and right onto the Interstate for a trip across the country, I sure wouldn't bet on the Chevy unless you gave me at least 5 to 1. I'm supposed to "be in the business", but I'm terrified of buying a GM product, even though I'd really like to have an HHR or a Corvette. I can't risk it. I don't want a lemon or a buy-back. Sad to have to say that, but that's what I believe and I don't think my attitude is in the minority in America today. (even if it were wrong in reality).
    I don't understand what the need to be envied is. That seems to be very unspiritual, immature, and shallow to me. And yet the USA is supposed to be one of the most spiritual countries on the planet? :\ It's just exhibitonism and showing off when there is no reason to be showing off.

Polyester can be made to look like silk. That doesn't mean it's silk, and that there is anything to be envied.

Here's a better analogy. I buy fine clothing, but I don't have to pay top dollar for them, cause I know how to shop and where to shop. If I can buy a $400 jacket for $130, why would I want to pay $400 for it?

I was at a car auction and a fellow snatched a 1 year old Ferrari Testarossa up for $61,289. This was a car that sold for $200,000 at retail. He was very happy to write that check.
    Replying to: mediapusher (Apr 06, 2007 3:28 am)

Nothing is envied if everyone can easily possess it, nor can anything be the "standard of the world" if it's no better than its competition.

This is what makes Ferrari, for example, a standard of the world and probably nobody else (not a luxury standard, but a different kind of standard)---and not many people can afford to own one, or run one, and they are conspicuously different from any other car.

Probably impossible to do in a regular passenger car anymore.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    Statistics from JDPowers and others doesn't support your thinking at all. When the errors are in the 1 or 2 per hundred (is that the right rate?) and they are only a part of a problem apart and the problem is something that most likely is not going to leave you sitting in the middle of Indiana waiting for Andretti Chevrolet to tow you in the idea that one is less dependable is not logical. Indeed in my thinking you're more likely to suffer a transmission failure with the 5- or 6- speed Camry than with the 4-speed Chevrolet transmission.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Puhleeeez, The Cadillac Cimmaron was one of the biggest embarrassments to not only Cadillac, but GM and the United States. Let's see, perhaps Cadillac's V-8-6-4 was the biggest embarrassment. It's a toss up. The V8-6-4 technology (if you want to call it that) is what caused massive defections from Cadillac
    Poncho167 believe me, there are millions just like you and I, that are just as terrified to purchase a GM :lemon: product and have spitting image sentiments as what you express here. Thanks but no thanks, I'll keep my Toyota, 170,000 miles, and it has NEVER left me stranded.
    Replying to: poncho167 (Apr 06, 2007 9:49 am)

Hard to say, but if we drove a Toyota and a Chevy out of a showroom and right onto the Interstate for a trip across the country, I sure wouldn't bet on the Chevy unless you gave me at least 5 to 1. I'm supposed to "be in the business", but I'm terrified of buying a GM product, even though I'd really like to have an HHR or a Corvette. I can't risk it. I don't want a lemon or a buy-back. Sad to have to say that, but that's what I believe and I don't think my attitude is in the minority in America today. (even if it were wrong in reality).
    We weren't really referring to the new generation Lexus IS, it was the first generation Lexus IS that we had gripes with. How do you know this guy was acting, he was probably just being himself. You should have said hi, you could have made a great friend :\

Why judge a Lexus IS350 unless you've driven one or owned one or don't like the looks of the car? I judge GM cars, because I've driven some of them and unfortunately have owned one(constant nightmares waiting to happen), and some of GMs exterior designs have been beyond laughable--

You seem to be judging the guy more than the car. :P

Of course the older generation doesn't understand what young people with money like to buy today when it comes to cars. They grew up when time-sharing meant spending quality time with your family, and when cars handled like ocean liner cruise ships

The kind of goose bumps and cringe feeling you're talking about is what people get when they see a person driving a Chevrolet Camaro :lemon: :\ (as if that's a luxury performance coupe) LOL! What a joke. The Chevrolet Camaro is made in Canada by the way.
    IS by imidazol97 Mar 31, 2007 (3:41 pm)

I saw an IS at the local gas station coffee shop. The guy inside had on a recently bought navy pinstrip suit, a fancy shirt which I guess he paid lots for but looked out of place, and lots of obnoxious cologne along with hair that had goop on it to make it look straggled. He looked like he binged on something often, maybe alcohol. And probably was near 30. I pegged him as a stock broker type, new and probably would overspend himself when things ain't hot, since there are some offices that sell by phone and some off brand stores around th area. He went out and hopped into his IS350 as though he had the best thing in life. Zoomed his way through the maze to get out of the station. Is that the steroetype someone is trying to say buys IS's and older folk wouldn't understand.
    LOL! exactly. I want a car that I can drive, not just a car that I can look at. And believe me, I DRIVE....
    to Mexico,
    to Lake Tahoe, Calif.
    to Napa valley, CAlif.
    to Oregon,
    to Utah
    to Las Vegas, NV
    To San Diego, Calif

But if your goal is to purchase a vehicle that runs and drives, that you can actually use, then Lexus and Toyota are clearly superior choices to Cadillac.
    And Buicks and Cadillacs handle like Buicks and Cadillacs. That would mean SLOPPY. With the exception being the Cadillac CTS
    Where is Caddy? Caddy is where it should be ---> NOT EVEN ON THE RADAR
    by louiswei Apr 06, 2007 (8:26 am)
    Replying to: Mr_Shiftright (Apr 06, 2007 8:19 am)

I would say BMW is the standard of the world for performance in the "easily possessed" auto market.

MB being the standard of the world for prestige in the "easily possessed" auto market.

Lexus being the standard of the world for quality/reliability in the "easily possessed" auto market.

Acura being the standard of the world for value (best bang for the bucks) in the "easily possessed" auto market.

Where is Caddy?
    I see your point but the statistics on the other hand don't support my experience any more than my experience supports the statistics. Every single damn one of my friends who has purchased a domestic vehicle has had some hassle with it---some worse than others, and yes, so have friends who purchased Passat and BMW....but, more to the point, every one of my friends (and me) who purchased Toyotas just turned the key and never saw another dealer except for an oil change.

it's possible that it's like a battlefield where statistically casualties are only 1% but in my sector they are falling like flies!! :cry:

So try as I may, it's very hard to believe in the abstract statistics when there is all this "evidence" around me.

Call me crazy.... :D
    Where are the statistics coming from? How do we know whose reporting isn't biased? JDPowers and Consumer Reports have been accused of biased reporting, but who cares, anyone that's owned a Toyota or Honda, knows how great they are. And I'm a different breed. I like manual transmission, most people have automatic transmissions which may or may not have more mechanical problems.

I've never seen a dealer again either (Toyota owner here) and I like it that way

A person can statistic me all they want, it's not going to change my high regard for Toyota or Honda, because I've owned their cars and know how fine they are.

I see your point but the statistics on the other hand don't support my experience any more than my experience supports the statistics. Every single damn one of my friends who has purchased a domestic vehicle has had some hassle with it---some worse than others, and yes, so have friends who purchased Passat and BMW....but, more to the point, every one of my friends (and me) who purchased Toyotas just turned the key and never saw another dealer except for an oil change.

it's possible that it's like a battlefield where statistically casualties are only 1% but in my sector they are falling like flies!!

So try as I may, it's very hard to believe in the abstract statistics when there is all this "evidence" around me.

Call me crazy....
    No, perhaps he is entitled to his own PROPAGANDA, but not mistating the facts. It doesnt surprise me, coming from a GM defender.
    Replying to: poncho167 (Apr 06, 2007 12:10 pm)

___
    Look Again

Wasn't 2005 either

Perhaps you prefer Forbes which factors in J.D Powers Ratings?

Or Warranty Direct?
  • displacedtexandisplacedtexan Member Posts: 364
    We get it, mediapusher. Japanese imports good. Domestics bad. Thank you.
    So what ever happened to GM's self proclaimed Malcolm Baldridge Award? LOL!! What a joke
    Presumably from owners surveys---but which owners, and for how long the ownership, and for WHAT problems....nobody ever seems to publish that data....the "context" of the survey.

What I would like to know, as a prospective buyer, is this: what are my odds per 100 vehicles if I buy a new Cadillac, of having to go back to the dealer, within the *entire* warranty period. The "satisfaction upon delivery" or within 90 days of ownership is USELESS to me. Also people's subjective opinion of "fit and finish" means nothing to me. What do they actually know about it? Fit and finish relative to what? Also info from people who drive 3,000 miles a year in Arizona is probably useless to me.
    They're talking about fit and finish compared to the competition, that being (Lexus, Honda, Toyota, BMW) GM's is markedly different, and not in a good way.

Why wouldn't 3000 miles a year in Arizona mean anything to you?
    Also people's subjective opinion of "fit and finish" means nothing to me. What do they actually know about it? Fit and finish relative to what? Also info from people who drive 3,000 miles a year in Arizona is probably useless to me.
    re: Arizona---driving 3,000 miles a year at 45 mph isn't how I drive. I would like data on cars being driven the way I would drive mine. I would tend to stress a car more. I need a car that can take some hard use, day in and day out. I've got 23,400 miles on my 2006 Scion already, with highway, city traffic, dirt roads and rain and salt air (I live right near the beach). Also my car's my living, and I am often 100 miles from the barn on any given day. I can't afford to break down.

So data on leisurely use in dry Arizona climate is really of no use to me, as you can see.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    How did Arizona get into this anyhow? Is there some hidden context I missed?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    A Lexus LS handles just like my old Park Avenue. I took a Lexus LS430 out for a test drive expecting some kind of epiphany due to all the hype. Heck, it felt and handled just like a Buick - nothing more, nothing less.
  • cooterbfdcooterbfd Member Posts: 2,770
    If GM built cars in China (Especially the high end Buick and Caddilac models) I think there would be TREMENDOUS backlash from the public. Not talking about importing parts to be assembled here, but importing whole cars. Autoblog had a post about GM's Chinese design studios may design future Buicks because of their popularity there, and most of the posters were upset, because they felt the next logical step would be to just bring the Chinese Buicks here, because it would be cheaper, and nobody liked that idea. This is why the major foreign companies opened up shop here: so people would be able to overcome the fact they "bought foreign" when in fact these cars are assembled right here. Look at the money Toyota spent advertising the Tundra being built in Texas, totally ignoring the fact that a lot of Tundras are built in Indiana (after all what's more American than Texas :P ). The foreign companies want us to know they make it here with OUR labor, not theirs. Small, cheap cars are on the fringe and companies can get away with importing them. Even Hyundai makes it's more expensive cars here.
    At that rate your car should last about 8 years before you have to buy a new clutch?? If you're driving an auto-tranny I don't know how long the transmission will last, because I like stick shift and have always tried to buy that way

I had to replace my transmission at 160,000 miles, but I was driving 300 miles a day. I drive a Toyota Corolla
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    At that rate your car should last about 8 years before you have to buy a new clutch??

Well that would depend on how much city stop and go driving he does. Someone like me driving in the traffic we have here I seriously doubt I could get half that on a clutch in my daily drive.

I had to replace my transmission at 160,000 miles,

I had a Chevy that went almost 300K miles on the same tranny. that is until the guy who bought it from me "accidently" put it in reverse going 60 MPH.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

Perhaps it does,but a Lexus is still a better buy than a Cadillac, by far.
    I would hazard to guess that that would depend on the person doing the buying.

Personally if you gave me a Lexus I would crush it into a cube and send it back to you COD.

Snakeweasel-
    Keep in mind I have a $7,000 Toyota Corolla (that's what I paid for it) That amount of miles to me is a what you'd find on most ten year old cars, so the fact I had to replace the tranny at 160,000, I don't think is too bad. And damn, I drove that car hard. I tortured it with driving. 300 miles per day is too much for a car like mine. I have not had anything weird go wrong with the car, like brake manifolds falling off or water pump failing, or head gaskets blowing, etc...crankshaft suddenly falling, etc..
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    The money you have saved driving that Corolla that far, should allow you to buy a new LS460 cash. If I had that kind of luck with a Toyota I would be a fan also. Of the 4 Toyotas I have been involved with none were close to that reliable. Luck of the draw I guess.
    Well perhaps some people need to open their mind and get over their prejudice. I'd be the first one in line to buy GM cars if they didn't insult my intelligence and if they were worth the money, but apparently GM :lemon: doesn't care about the quality of the cars they build for the U.S.A. market, for whatever reason. I don't really understand why.

Just the idea that people are so heated about how well Lexus can compete with Mercedes and totally jumps over Cadillac says leaps and bounds about Lexus :shades: in a positive way and leaps and bounds about Cadillac :lemon: in a negative way. Lexus :shades: has only been around since 1990 (a mere 17 years) Cadillac :lemon: has been around for 100 years and still can't compete

I realize Lexus is actually Toyota, however their luxury division has only been around as we know it for 17 years.
    GM has been faced with serious competition for twice that amount of time and still can't compete --so it goes beyond the fact they make bad products...
    gagrice-
    It shouldn't be the luck of the draw, but who knows. I don't have all the answers. I can only go by my own experience. I don't abuse cars, and I don't tend to buy automatic transmission, if that makes any difference. I can't stand cars with automatic transmissions. They're BORING. Can you spell B-O-R-I-N-G? My experience with Hondas and Toyotas have been very good. I sure do miss my Honda Accord EX sedan with the sunroof and power everything and trunkwing. Talk about envious stares that I used to get. Man do I miss that car. It was like riding a tight cloud. I'm probably going to buy another one, and just keep it forever and buy a new engine for it. Who knows, there are so many good and diverse choices when it comes to cars these days
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    Good luck when the automatic goes in that Lexus. $3500 versus $1600 for the GM. And the list goes on and on. The imports are getting almost as pricey to maintain as Mercedes and BMW.

My mother's 2001 LeSabre is running perfectly fine - been in the shop once in its life for a broken sensor, which is pretty routine on a car with almost 80K miles on it.

The GM of today isn't the GM of 1980.
    Well perhaps some people need to open their mind and get over their prejudice.

No prejudice here, I have a major issue with Toyota that has some lawyers involved and it has nothing to do with cars.

And you should follow your own advice.

• rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    So this forum went from talking about Cadillac, to become the bash everything GM, forum. :sick:

I've never read so much propaganda in 10-15 minutes in my whole life. I feel I might of lowered my I.Q. :(

As imidazol97, has pointed out the statistics say different but I guess since it's GM, the facts don't apply. :confuse:

Yeah I know every GM, car ever made is a :lemon: :confuse:
    Rocky
    I'll tell you what facts apply RockyLee. The horrible experiences I've had with GM :lemon: :lemon: cars compared to Toyota cars
    Why doesn't GM just start building most of their cars in China? They don't need to build them in the U.S.A. anyway. And they're already building many in China and Canada, already. The Chinese version of the Buick Lacrosse is built there....Then they could just export them here. That might improve the quality of their products.
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    So you are essentially saying that UAW, workers don't have the brain power to build quality products ????? Well the Lucerne, 08 CTS, Aura, Silverado, Tahoe, look like quality vehicles to me and that's not all of them just a few.

If GM, built buicks in China, people like myself who are "buy american" types with good jobs would not buy chinese made buicks. ;)

Rocky
    I didn't say that, you said that...and if that's the case why do you buy the following vehicles listed below. Many of them are either made in Canada or Mexico, not the U.S.A.:

The following vehicles are Made in Canada:
    Buick Lacrosse, Acura MDX
    Chevrolet Impala, Honda Civic*
    Chevrolet Monte Carlo, Honda Pilot*
    Chevrolet Silverado*, Honda Ridgeline
    Chrysler 300, Lexus RX350*
    Chrysler Minivans* , Toyota Matrix
    Dodge Charger, Toyota Corolla*
    Ford Crown Victoria, GMC Sierra*
    Pontiac Grand Prix, Chevrolet Silverado

The following vehicles are made in Mexico:
    Buick Rendezvous, Cadillac Escalade ESV & EXT
    Chevrolet Avalanche, Honda Accord*
    Chevrolet HHR, Nissan Sentra
    Cheveolet Silverado*, Toyota Tacoma
    Chevrolet Suburban*, Volkswagen Jetta
    Chrysler PT Cruiser, Volkswagen Beetle (Updated Release)
    Dodge Ram*, Ford F-Series*
    Ford Fusion, GMC Yukon*
    Lincoln MKZ, Mercury Milan

The following vehicle is made in South Korea:
    Chevrolet Aveo

* = Built in More than one country

All of the other USA nameplate cars are only built in the U.S.A.

Furthermore, the headquarters of DaimlerChrysler is in Germany.
    by rockylee Apr 06, 2007 (7:58 pm)
    Replying to: mediapusher (Apr 06, 2007 7:42 pm)

So you are essentially saying that UAW, workers don't have the brain power to build quality products ????? Well the Lucerne, 08 CTS, Aura, Silverado, Tahoe, look like quality vehicles to me and that's not all of them just a few.

If GM, built buicks in China, people like myself who are "buy american" types with good jobs would not buy chinese made buicks.

Rocky
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    I hope the UAW DOES succeed in unionizing Toyota's North American plants. Then rabid Toyotaphiles can eat their hats when their precious Camries are assembled by UAW labor. Chances are the Corolla media is driving was assembled in the GM-Toyota joint plant in California which is manned by the UAW.

I sure wouldn't trust any Chinese-made vehicle when the Chinese can't even get the formula for pet food straight. Seems our cats and dogs are dying due to pet food components sourced from over there.