Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Is Cadillac's Image Dying and Does Anyone Care?

Comments

• rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    62, plekto, both you had some good posts guys. I'm glad to GM, doing better at becoming profitable as that is the most important factor. Plekto, your way of putting it is important as people who keep their cars for a longer time have to be willing to risk the cost of repairs. One $4K bill on a Camry Tranny eats up a lot of resale value, eh? ;) That doesn't factor in what you pay for the premium of driving america's car either. ;)

Rocky
  • displacedtexandisplacedtexan Member Posts: 364
    Nothing y'all can say will change mediapusher's mind about GM (and he does make good points about GM's past performance - he just refuses to see anything beyond Toyota and Honda). I don't know why people keep trying.
  • jimbresjimbres Member Posts: 2,025
    It's worth noting, though, that transmission replacements are exceedingly rare. My experience with Japanese brands goes back over 30 years - I bought my 1st Honda in '74 & my 1st Toyota a year later - & I've never had a lick of transmission trouble. (Some of those cars were sticks, though.)

Even the sole American car in the family fleet - a Taurus that we bought in '92 & kept for over 13 years - was never in the shop for transmission problems. (It drove me nuts by eating power window switches at $100 a pop & every time I turned around, it needed a new starter motor, but the tranny was fine.)

In fact, I can't remember the last time that anyone I know had major transmission problems with any American or Japanese brand. Modern automatic trannies are pretty robust & are probably good for at least 150K miles unless abused. I'd go so far as to say that the average driver will probably never have to replace a transmission.

So when you're shopping for a new car, does it really make sense to base your purchasing decision on what you think it will cost to replace the transmission?
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    Toyota trans replacements

There are many transmissions being replaced by Toyo as we speak. There are other discussions re the Camry and problems that have similar problems and stories. Albeit these are under warranty (when the consumer can effect enough interest and admission on the company's part) what happens when they hit the end of the warranty?

I can go through the Honda discussions and fine trans problems popping up often replacing a defective design with a new copy and in the past Honda has extended warranty to 100K but most are suppsed to be great to 300K miles and more and what happens after those warranties and extended warranties are out?

I think looking at major parts replacements cost of transmissions as a surrogate for other major repairs is a valid comparison.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Yes, I've seen the "flare" discussions on the Lexus ES 350 forum (my wife has an '07), but don't forget the amplifying effect of the Web: even if only 1 owner in a million has a problem with any given product, that person can dominate a discussion board & give the impression that this problem is widespread. Mediapusher is an excellent (albeit extreme) example of this.

According to Consumer Reports (April '07), the reliability of Toyota & Honda automatic transmissions are, respectively, better than average & much better than average. The Cadillac CTS automatic transmission is rated much better than average as far as reliability is concerned. So if I ever find myself choosing among Cadillac, Lexus & Acura, transmission reliability won't be a significant deciding factor.

This is a big country, & somewhere someone is swapping out a bad automatic transmission. I just don't think it happens often enough to influence my buying decision.

But why am I discussing automatic trannies? My '01 BMW is a stick, & whatever I choose to replace it will also have a stick. I'm here because I dig the idea of a RWD Cadillac with a 300 hp V6 & a 6-speed stick.
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    When the day does come, which would you rather pay? $2000 or $4000? The thing is that it's like, say, an O2 sensor or a muffler or whatnot - it's not a matter of if but when it will eventually need to be replaced. It's not the same as say, needing a replacement fuel tank or a new sunroof - which may or may not ever fail on you. It's a consumable item and will someday need to be replaced. So it does factor into the long-term cost of the car.

And $4000 is just too much money. My friend got his automatic replaced in his ~10 year old Mercedes E-class for about that.(to give you an idea of how silly Toyota's pricing is)

It's almost like the typical InkJet printer. Cheap to buy but the consumables is where they make all of the money back. And for me, it's just wrong.

Honda's upping their warranty to match GM on the drivetrain is good, but Toyota is nowhere to be seen. Given the number of teething pains they have been having with their mega-speed models lately, I just wouldn't be comfortable buying one. (Manual, though - sign me up - a manual Toyota or Honda is as cheap as it gets, or just about)

You'll note the the cheapest to operate long-term are the GM products. Boring, stodgy, softly sprung as they are(few exceptions of course) they are inexpensive to run in the long term. (doubly so if you buy 1-3 years used/certified for 2/3 the new cost)
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Member Posts: 6,043
    note the the cheapest to operate long-term are the GM products. Boring, stodgy, softly sprung as they are(few exceptions of course) they are inexpensive to run in the long term. (doubly so if you buy 1-3 years used/certified for 2/3 the new cost)

You will have a very hard time finding any GM vehicle made today that is more softly sprung than a Camry. All Buicks have a stiffer suspension than the Camry. But, the Lexus ES is (at least the ES300 was, not sure about the latest models) even softer than the Camry.

LaCrosse base car was targeted at Camry ride/handling with a bit less roll. CXS was set a couple notches higher and the LuCerne higher yet.
  • lemonhaterlemonhater Member Posts: 110
    I think the problem is most consumers do not want to fix their cars at all and if it breaks down enough soon enough then it will give the manufacturer a bad name. They would rather pay more for a part that lasts a little bit longer than pay less for a part that fails a little bit sooner because the of the hassle of getting the car repaired.

Now if I were a mechanic and could do a lot of the work myself, then it might not be a bad trade off. In addition most people don't keep their cars 10+ years or if the car is that old and needs a major repair they are very likely to just buy a new one.

O2 sensors, mufflers, and transmissions should last for years and premature failure of these parts will peeve off a consumer.

I think one of the problems with Cadillac is that it is so low priced that some people who can buy it can’t afford to maintain it. Not sure if it rubs off on GM or not. Also buying a used GM car does little to help GM at all. They don’t make any more profit on the sale and unless you buy OEM parts they will make no more money.
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    They would rather pay more for a part that lasts a little bit longer than pay less for a part that fails a little bit sooner because the of the hassle of getting the car repaired.
    But the rub is that the GM part lasts about 80-90% as long and costs 2/3 to replace when it does break. It's a false sense of economy as many import owners are beginning to find out. Toyota and Honda currently are living on their past reputation of being inexpensive and reliable. And the thing is, the "inexpensive" part of the equation has evaporated in the last decade while we weren't paying attention.
    >but don't forget the amplifying effect of the Web: even if only 1 owner in a million has a problem with any given product, that person can dominate a discussion board & give the impression that this problem is widespread

I have seen this logic before with regard to another car displaying more than nonexistent problems a couple years ago. There just weren't any problems with anything according to some. After a few months the reality that there were more than 0 problems had become obvious.

Of course the problem amplification is reversed when it's been GM products where problems have been discussed in the past. A few posts on the web and the problem is pervasion as kudzoo. Selective reversal :sick: .

Although we keep our cars for 8-10 years - sometimes longer - we don't run up high mileage. (The oldest car in the fleet does railroad station duty, in which role it clocks only a couple of hundred miles per month.) So we're out of our cars long before the transmissions head south. In my experience, HVAC failure is the most likely big-ticket repair item for an older car.
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    I have owned auto's since the 1980's and am not familiar with GM's so called solid reputation for building unreliable vehicles. Here in the midwest they are the longest running cars on the road. It is rare to see a 1980's Japanese vehicle. What does reliability really mean?
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    "You people can say what you want, but whose reputation is worse that whose? Is it Toyota or Honda that has a bad reputation or GM? Now answer that question with a straight face."

Certain models in the past may have had a poor reputation but not all the models. This goes for Honda and Toyota as well who have had some quality issues with recent cars including: Civic, Camry, Corolla, and the Nissans Sentra engine that catches fire.
    In the mid 90s a local mechnical that did a car repair talk show referred repeatedly to Honda motors as the BIC lighters of the auto industry because they went bad so early and were next to unrepairable for durability. I recall how a remote Honda dealer had a salesman call in to challenge him. Strange with all the Honda deals that existed at the time that there weren't other defenders.

The reality is that everyone's cars seem to have a modicum of problems and some have a few more. It's the selective memory of some owners of econoboxes from the 80s who bought the cars for commute type duty and expected little in options and comforts let alone an automatic transmission. Then when few things went bad they were declared superb--because there wasn't much to give trouble and they did give the desired great gase mileage compared to domestics of the time.

But the reputation was formed and CR loved them because they got great gas mileage and that's what the green folks at CR wanted.

Just to clarify: your position & mine aren't far apart. My earlier post was a reply to mediapusher, who seems to think that GM products have a half-life that can be measured in weeks. My message to him was that GM & the major Japanese brands aren't far apart.

Today, the real cost/reliability divide isn't between the American makes & the imports. It's between the Europeans & the non-Europeans.
    FWIW, my mechanic (an independent) often says that Honda automatics are good for 150K & Honda sticks for 200-225K.
    You're talking transmissions. The mechanic was talking engines. I assume your mechanic is overlooking the warranty-extended tranmissions at the end of 90s and early 00s.

Dunno, to be truthful. Although my Honda experience goes back over 30 years, I've never owned a Honda automatic. My latest Honda -- an '06 CR-V -- is a stick, as were its predecessors. So I didn't press him for details. I'll ask him the next time I see him.
  • bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,425
    The J-series automatics, that is. The other autos (and all manuals, of course) seem to hold up just fine.
  • mediapushermediapusher Member Posts: 305
    After having the unfortunate opportunity to test drive a sloppily put together 2007 Chevrolet Impala, it does not seem like much has changed to me. And that's what they call craftsmanship? Puhleeez

I am wondering if you will be able to handle it
    I'll stop complaining about GM when they have the good sense not to put cheap interior in a car like the Cadillac CTS. How embarrassing is that? What a bunch of dorks they are. (GM)

Oh and how about the lovely Ken and Barbie quality plastic in most of the Saturn's I've seen? :\

Nothing y'all can say will change mediapusher's mind about GM (and he does make good points about GM's past performance - he just refuses to see anything beyond Toyota and Honda). I don't know why people keep trying
    Well it certainly is a good thing that we got competition from the Japanese in the mid 1970's, because if not, GM would still be making cars like they made them in 1972 wouldn't they??

In Southern California ,GM only constitutes about 8% of the CAR market if that.
    The landscape is changing and many are caught in the past. The data is already there for the quality issues but a closed mind will have a hard time seeing it. But most of the people in this country are willing to look at the data and see the changes that have been going on for a few years. And once that mind frame is changed GM will keep increasing sales.
    Of course they're not listening. They're the one's making their multi-million dollar per annum salaries whether they perform or not, and they think they know best. To hell with the public. That's why Toyota's is poised to surpass them in global sales soon.

Interesting! Makes sense, too. In the early 70s, Toyota grabbed the baby boomers, who were just reaching car-buying age at that time, & never let go.

I wonder if anyone from Cadillac's marketing staff is reading this
    After having the unfortunate opportunity to test drive a sloppily put together 2007 Chevrolet Impala, it does not seem like much has changed to me. And that's what they call craftsmanship? Puhleeez

And the Accord, has a better one ? Puhleeez. Now the new Camry, has a better one I agree. You will only be able to gripe for a few more months as the 08' Malibu will be the same size as the current Impala, and blow your honyota's away in built quality just like the Aura, already does. By 09' the FWD Impala, will be gone. The question remains will the 09' RWD make it's debut. Well if you on the left coast have your ways it will not see production. :sick:

Rocky
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    In Southern California ,GM only constitutes about 8% of the CAR market if that

I would assume you have some kind of data to back up your wild claim?

Toyota is FAR from taking over sales leadership in the USA. They sell a lot of little crappy cars in third world countries. A Corolla, Echo or Yaris should not count for the same amount as a Cadillac. Maybe 5 to one would be a fair number.
  • louisweilouiswei Member Posts: 3,715
    A Corolla, Echo or Yaris should not count for the same amount as a Cadillac. Maybe 5 to one would be a fair number.

And votes from people with higher education degrees should count more than those who don't.

Got it.
    And votes from people with higher education degrees should count more than those who don't.

Got it.

Not if the higher education degree people have a IQ as low as some of the McDegree people I know. ;)

Rocky
    So next time before we vote, we should all take the IQ test first?

WOW!!
    By your post and logic, McDonald's sells superior food to Ruth Chris Steakhouse. McDonald's sells a heck of a lot more meals than Ruth Chris.

The last I checked Toyota had about $30 billion less in sales than GM, and about $20 billion less than Daimler Chrysler. So I think numbers of vehicles is a false indicator of who is the biggest automaker.
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    GM could teach Toyota a lot on building crappy cars, here and abroad.

Bringing up Cadillac doesn't make much sense, since Lexus easily outsells Cadillac. :confuse:

At this point, Toyota has GM at the low-end and high-end. Without full-size pick-ups, Toyota would be in lock-step. :surprise:

DrFill
    The last I checked Toyota had about $30 billion less in sales than GM, and about $20 billion less than Daimler Chrysler.

Source please.

Comparing McDonald's to Ruth Chris Steakhouse is like comparing Toyota/GM to Rolls Royce with is totally irrelevant to our discussion. Toyota and GM are all full-line auto manufactures with mainstream and luxury brands. The more likely comparison is McDonald's vs. Burger King.
    Excuse me, I only think of the Lexus LS and LX as luxury vehicles competing against Cadillac. The rest of Lexus offerings are in competition with Buick and Pontiac.
    To those thinking that the only important number is a vehicle count, my analogy was right on. I think comparing McDonald's to Toyota is a good comparison. They sell lots of cheap cars.

Here is the Forbes list:

Top 2000"
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    CAN GM make Cadillac the standard of the world again?

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

Lexus may outsell Cadillac in the US. How are their sales in the rest of the World? My understanding is the US is 90% of the Lexus market. Lexus was built with the belief that a cushy riding luxo barge was what Americans want in a car. They tried to compete with Mercedes and never came up to the standard demanded by those buyers. They were able to seduce Cadillac buyers that were unhappy from the 1980s Cadillac doldrums. Guess what, Lexus has just gone through a period of doldrums themselves. Time will tell if they can come back with the new nicer LS460. They still need to do something with the very dated LX470. I would take the Escalade over the best SUV Lexus has to offer. They can out run and out handle any SUV that ToyLex builds.
  • sls002sls002 Member Posts: 2,788
    So, when was it the standard, and by what standard?
    Cadillac was the standard in the USA from the late 1940s through the 1960s for sure. It was the car you bought to show you had wealth and or fame. Just like today. Only the choices are much greater. None of the production cars today carry the panache that a 1950s Cadillac convertible carried. Ferarri can still turn a head or two. Not much else says I am wealthy. Everyone knows that you can lease an expensive car with nothing much in the bank. Hard to tell the "rich" from the wannabes.
    Haven't you lost this argument before?

Several times? To me?

Why would you win here? Now? To me? :confuse:

Showing you the error of your ways bores me. But it will bring closure to the week. :shades:

Mercedes, BMW, nor Lexus consider Cadillac as competition when they make ANYTHING. This will not change. Why?

Escalade, at $70k, doesn't even have a telescopic steering column! And the market quickly spit back the XLR, Cadillac's meager attempt at moving upmarket.

And they're too AFRAID to make the Sixteen. :sick:

I KNOW GM WILL NEVER make Cadillac "The Standard of the World" again because GM has it's hands full with Toyota whuppin' their bum up and down our highways. They're trying to keep Tundra from eating the rest of their lunch!
    Sad thing is.....the Sixteen would really put the HIGHER marques on notice. It would really change Cadillac's image here, and abroad!

But, in the end, it makes too much sense for GM to build it.....so much sense, they'd never do it. They could never pull it off. They choke in the big spot!

And everybody, Japanese, Germans, Americans, knows it. :blush:

That's what's wrong with GM/Cadillac. No heart.

Say what you want about Toyota. But they have two things GM will NEVER have.

Heart. And a plan. I'll take those any day of the week. ;)

DrFill
    Toyota may have a plan, they have no heart and no class.

PS
    I have no recollection of losing any argument to you. Must have been in your dreams. Name a ToyLex SUV that will stay with an Escalade. You cannot because it does not exist. Toyota builds appliances that will last till the warranty is up. Ask the man that owns one. ME!!! And who cares about a telescoping steering wheel. That is right up there with that slow parallel parking crappola.
    It takes heart to build Lexus, and take your market away from you.

It takes heart to build Scion, put out wild cars to attract a difficult market. And succeed.

It takes heart to make Prius, a car NO ONE thought would last 2 years, and now is becoming even more successful than Scion!

Rav4 (1996)? RX300 (1999)? These are concepts cadillac can't even fathom!

Cadillac/GM has little faith, and no foundation. They are desperate for answers, and can't defend themselves.

Toyota also has heart, because they could probably crush GM in their hands right now, if they really wanted to. :surprise:

That just wouldn't be good for business. :blush:

Toyota really likes GM, and destroying them just doesn't fit into Toyota's 10 year-plan.

DrFill
    I think you have mistaken money for heart. Toyota has money they have no heart. If you were in there way you would soon learn about reality. Big corporations DO NOT have a heart. You were obviously not around in 1989 when Toyota went after the Mercedes market. They built the LS400 to compete with Mercedes not Cadillac. Cadillac was nothing by that time. Mercedes owned the luxury market in the 1980s. We shall see how well Toyota's 10 year plan goes. It depends if they can keep their cars on the road instead of the shop. They are now the target and will feel the pierce of many arrows.
    gagrice,

I gotta say that was very well said. ;)

Rocky
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Member Posts: 6,043
    Mercedes, BMW, nor Lexus consider Cadillac as competition when they make ANYTHING. This will not change. Why?

I do not want to get into your personal argument but the above statement is a bit over the top. Do you really believe there is no competition between Cadillac and those 3? If so I have to tell you the data, (which is not publicly available), shows you are making up data on your biased view.
    I'm not a truck guy myself, so I don't have an opinion on which luxo-SUV is the best. But I have noticed that over the last year or 2, the Range Rover has become the favorite high-status SUV in my area (a well-off NYC suburb). It seems to have become the truck of choice with the country club set. I'm definitely seeing fewer LX & Escalades around me.

I'll also point out that Lexus's initial success was at the expense of Mercedes. During the middle & late 1980s, MB took advantage of its dominance of the U.S. luxury car market & raised prices repeatedly. That left a huge opening & Toyota exploited it with a car that was fully $20K cheaper than the S-Class Mercedes of the time.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    I only bought & primarily drove cars with a manual trans. for many years.

For several reasons ( bursitis & traffic, primarily ) I now only buy & drive cars with an automatic trans.

The one & only automatic trans. replacement I have had ( driving my own cars for approx. 38 years ) was in a GM FWD V8 – in 2005. ( Early build 2005 Grand Prix GXP, if it matters. )

Yet, I chose a GM for my next car. Largely because the attributes I was seeking do not exist at anywhere near the price point from any other manufacturer. And the trans. replacement process was handled reasonably well. So I now drive a GM V8 w/automatic. No issues so far, but it is still under 8,000 miles.

If the new CTS-v appears with a version of the GM 6L80 in my current vehicle, and the price does not rise TOO dramatically, I will look seriously at that new Caddy.

I’m not sure that makes Caddy ‘The Standard of The World’ ( again ) but it will be on my ‘short list’ – and that is all I really care about.

Since Lincoln has abandoned the Sport Luxury Sedan segment, by allowing the LS V8 to die, Caddy is now the only ( nominally ) US manufacturer with a horse in that race. Actually, I suppose that one could argue, that they now have 2 horses = the STS and the CTS ( ‘-v’ and ‘regular’ ) – in that race.

Other GM divisions certainly market Performance Sedans, with some amount of luxury features – at least optionally, but I don’t see the upcoming G8 ( for example ) as a Sport Luxury Sedan. Sport Sedan, yes. With some luxury available, yes. And Chrysler’s 300C with Hemi V8 ( even without the SRT8 ‘package’ ) fits my definition of Sport Sedan – but without the ‘flavor’ of luxury I think Caddy is trying to present.

To the question asked in the thread \ forum title:

I believe that Caddy COULD become A Standard of The Word, in several aspects – but at the price points where they are choosing to compete, I doubt they will become THE Standard. That, I believe, will always fall to a manufacturer willing to design, build & market only in premium segments – and sell in limited volumes.

But I could be wrong.
    Ask my ex-wife. . .
    - Ray
    Happy to be able to even consider a Caddy – next time around . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • sls002sls002 Member Posts: 2,788
    While the Cadillac of that time period may have been the best selling luxury car, I think the Lincoln's and Chrysler Imperial's of that time period were equally good "status symbols". The Packard was still in production, and may have been even more highly thought of.
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    Uh, I've been to Southern California many times and though there are a lot of imports, but I'd say at least 50% of the cars are domestic. Just about 75% of the trucks and SUVs are domestic. Even in SF there were plenty of domestic cars and trucks.
    I'll go with gagrice on this one. I grew up in a stockbroker's & banker's suburb of NYC in the 1950s & 1960s, & Cadillac dominated the luxury market in my town. Packard's best years were in the 1930s. It stumbled in the 1940s, merged with downmarket Studebaker in the mid-50s & disappeared entirely in '58 or '59.

Cadillac's main competition in the late 50s & 60s came from Lincoln, particularly after the introduction of the redesigned Continental in '61 - a beautiful car that still looks good today. When you bought one of these, you were saying in effect, "I'm rich but I'm not flashy. I've got good taste."

Chrysler never got much traction with the Imperial - probably because it was a big, flashy car at a time when no one did big & flashy better than Cadillac. If I remember correctly, Chrysler wasn't happy with the car & finally hired the guy who designed the '61 Lincoln Continental.
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    That guy was Elwood Engel. He replaced Virgil Exner who designed the flashier Imperial. Exner and Engle were two different personalities. I heard Exner described as a refined sophisticated gentleman and Engle and being earthier and profane.
    Virgil Exner! I haven't heard his name mentioned in years. Your post brings back memories of trips to the local Chrysler dealer in '58 or '59 with my Dad, who was a real Mopar fan. Ah, swivel seats & TorqueFlite with pushbutton controls.