Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Is Cadillac's Image Dying and Does Anyone Care?

Comments

• poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    I think you are right with the highend models. BMW and Mercedes has cars over $100,000. Based on price alone, not materials, these cars are the ones people will likely being looking at to judge from as the standard of the world.
  • sls002sls002 Member Posts: 2,788
    A hybrid is a combination of standard (gas-diesel) engine with an electric-battery power supplement. A true electric car would be one with only battery power. I think a motor-generator with an all electric drive could be more fuel efficient. This is the Volt concept I think.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    > It may do better this summer...

I believe I read that while the air conditioner is running the gas motor is running. So highway efficiency is hurt by the air conditioner. Is that correct?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

"I know someone (actually I know 3 people) with a Prius, and while it is rated 50 highway, 60 city, they only got 40 over the winter, and were getting more like 45 otherwise. It may do better this summer...

The new mpg figures are quite a bit less than previous reflecting on what consumers are actually getting. It was estimated that some people get as much as 35% less than the posted mpg. I saw on World News one lady who got a combined 33 mpg in hers. Who knows how she drove it but it is dramatically less.
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    ...what does all this talk of hybrids have to do with Cadillac? Until I see the DTS-h, STS-h, and CTS-h, I'd rather we get back on the subject.
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    Hybrids tend to do better in the summer then winter because the cold temps hurt the batter efficiency.
  • bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,425
    There's an idea. GM has all the parts from the SUV hybrids, so is there any chance of seeing a Caddy hybrid? IMO the hybrid drivetrain should be standard on all Cadillacs.
  • trimastertrimaster Member Posts: 163
    ...what does all this talk of hybrids have to do with Cadillac? Until I see the DTS-h, STS-h, and CTS-h, I'd rather we get back on the subject

It has nothing to do with them unfortunately. If they aren't a major player in something as (potentially) important as this, how can they be considered "Standard of the World?"
    Well, an SRX-h is definately possible and maybe a displacement-on-demand Escalade.
    I think Caddy's focus is the mid level luxury market. And there's nothing wrong with that.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "A "hybrid" is a vehicle that has both an internal combustion engine and one or more electric motors that operate (in unison and/or independently) to propel the vehicle." (link)

I think that's a common definition that leaves a lot room for expansion.

More detailed ideas are in this article if you have interest:

Grading the fuel-saving technologies of the future
    I really don't know. However, I was told by the owner of the Prius that in the winter the engine would run enough to warm up so the heater would work.

To get back to Cadillac, my SRX is burning more fuel than my Seville did, not a surprise. My Seville was averaging about 24 MPG in local driving for me. The SRX is still new and not broken in yet, but I seem to be getting around 18 MPG (it's rated 15 city, 22 highway). After the Seville had a few thousand miles on it, the mileage improved by 1 to 2 MPG (probably at least 1.5 MPGs).
    A fine Cadillac example oft-mentioned here:

Someone is bound to ask if the DNR on that plate stands for Do Not Resuscitate.

Not going to be me though, uh uh.
    There's always a spoilsport... :P ;)

For those who say GM cars don't last. :P
    This is what? 22 years old?

It's the vinyl. I like boxy cars usually.

The tire hanging back there like an old CR-V or a RAV4 would be a good target for the way I back up too. :P
  • bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,425
    How do you get into the trunk? GM didn't believe in interior trunk releases in those days.
    Cadillac is lagging behind in the JD Power and Associated 2007 Initial Quality Study.

There's still some work to do...

quality study
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,143
    Oh I like it, the color combo, the warped black and orange trim stripe, the continental spare that doesn't match the other wheels, and of course that top. The only way to travel, is Cadillac style :P

It looks to be in remarkable condition, probably has 100 original miles on it or something.

It's an 86+, looks like a stock high mount brake light
    I was hoping I'd get to see to whom it belonged when they went out to their car. But it was there when we went in and there when we left. Maybe it's one of the employees at the restaurant. It is in remarkably good shape paintwise for that age. It was in Louisville.

I saw many other cars of age during our trip but didn't have camera where I could grab pictures. The farther south I go the more great old cars I see.

"How do you get into the trunk? GM didn't believe in interior trunk releases in those days."

These cars had a few more features than the Chevy Cavaliar so there had to be a interior trunk release. I have never seen this option on this car before. Maybe its aftermarket like a few others I have seen.
  • cooterbfdcooterbfd Member Posts: 2,770
    "How do you get into the trunk? GM didn't believe in interior trunk releases in those days

Yes they did!! If it's optioned with it, the button is in the glove compartment. it is electric, so the ignition has to be in the on position. My brother-in-laws '64 Cutlass conv. has it, and it's vacuum operated.
    "AAAAAAGHHHHHH!!! Change it, Butthead! Change it!"
  • skeezixskeezix Member Posts: 45
    My 1965 Buick has a interior trunk release. So did my Dad's 76 and 86 Caddies.
    "Yes they did!! If it's optioned with it, the button is in the glove compartment. it is electric, so the ignition has to be in the on position. My brother-in-laws '64 Cutlass conv. has it, and it's vacuum operated."

I should have explained what I was saying more clearly. I never saw the continental rear tire option on this car. It had to be aftermarket. My 67 Pontiac GTO had a glove box trunk release as well.
  • mediapushermediapusher Member Posts: 305
    My Toyota gets 40 mpg. And it's far from being a hybrid
    Why waste time talking about Cadillac? The "Standard of the World" question is a big JOKE. Besides we've beat that subject with a dead horse. It's ridiculous. That's why we're talking about hybrids. ---Forward thinking. Something GM knows nothing about
    Yeah, the tow truck to which it's hitched consumes most of the fuel.
  • cooterbfdcooterbfd Member Posts: 2,770
    Leave him be, he's just trying to incite us. My Park Ave gets 33 mpg on the highway, and it's TWICE the size of his Corolla.
    My 83 Skyhawk would get 40 too, so big deal.
    I can't believe you people weren't embarrassed to post a picture of that Chevrolet rip-off, otherwise known as the Cadillac Cimmarron. Oh my Gawd..One of the biggest embarrassments Cadillac has ever had. And they've had MANY.
  • displacedtexandisplacedtexan Member Posts: 364
    I can't believe you people weren't embarrassed to post a picture of that Chevrolet rip-off, otherwise known as the Cadillac Cimmarron.

I'd be very surprised if any Cadillac afficianado around these boards disagreed with you. From what I've read, too, most insiders at Cadillac would agree with you, as well.
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    Is the question answered? I mean Cadillac is far from #1 even in their home country, isn't a bit optomistic to speculate that they could ever rule the world? Maybe we should revisit in anpther 50 years...
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Member Posts: 6,043
    The answer is!!!!

There is no litmus test for the standard of the world. So no one will be able to be it.

Toyota makes the most profit so perhaps they are the standard? MB makes the most expensive volume vehicles so maybe they are? Cadillac has the best looking cars/trucks so maybe they are?
    What is the litmus test for "best looking"?
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Member Posts: 6,043
    What is the litmus test for "best looking"?

that was my point. Pretty much style is in the eyes of the beholder.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    I see a 'short take' ( 1 page ) on the 2008 V6 STS in the C+D that arrived today...
    - Ray
    Sounds worth a test drive......
    2022 X3 M40i
    The basic problem of this whole forum has been the question of what the standard is. In post #9 I pointed out the basis for Cadillac using the "Standard of the World" in their advertising. Cadillac does have a basis for using this, even though the basis is about 100 years old.
    I think that for a luxury car, the current BMW Rolls Royce is a very good car. The current Cadillac line up is, I think, at the low end of the luxury standard. I like my 2007 SRX, but I do not think that the interior appointments are anything close to what I would expect the Rolls to have.
    Rolls-Royce used to use the slogan "The Best Car in the World!" Now, is Rolls-Royce truly the best car in the world?
    Define what you mean by "best". What I said is that the current BMW Rolls Royce is a "luxury" car. By that I mean that the body is well designed and the interior appointments are made out of very good materials. (I assume that this is so, as there are no Rolls dealers anywhere near here)
    ...to me is F. C. Kerbeck across the Tacony-Palmyra bridge in Pennsauken, NJ. In addition to Rolls-Royce, they also sell Bentley, Lamborghini, Ferrari, Maserati, and Hummers. They also do a brisk business selling used Cadillacs and Lincolns. Their Buick-GMC franchise is next door.
    It appears that most Rolls dealers are on the east or west coast, with a few in the central US.
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    No. The best major car manufacturer is Aston Martin.
    Maybe then Caddy could use "was the Standard of the World"

Looks like the Slade is still receiving praise...but no mention of the cars
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    A few years ago I would have argued with that but then Porsche built the Cayenne.
    While it may be "best", this does not imply most luxurious.
  • displacedtexandisplacedtexan Member Posts: 364
    Maybe there's no answer to the question posed at the start of this thread. Maybe the hosts should rename it something like what's on the Lincoln forum: Where is GM taking Cadillac? Most of the discussion around here isn't so much about answering the original question of standard of the world, but instead is general discussion about the direction and future of Cadillac.
    Perhaps, but the title does have that "where are we going" flavor. Or does everyone think Caddy doesn't want to be the world standard again and will settle for being "just another GM model?"
    "just another GM model?"

Just another GM division.