Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Is Cadillac's Image Dying and Does Anyone Care?

Comments

• 62vetteefp62vetteefp Member Posts: 6,043
    The highest compliment I can pay the 2008 Cadillac CTS is that five minutes behind the wheel turned me into as big a jerk as when I test a new BMW.

The drivers of really good sport sedans aren't really rude, callous oafs. They just seem that way because their cars are so much quicker and more responsive than most of what's on the road.

They accelerate faster, brake later and turn more sharply than lesser vehicles.

It's like walking alongside a much taller person. They don't mean to leave you gasping for breath; they just cover more ground faster than you do.

That's not to say some BMW drivers aren't arrogant twits, but so are some of the people who drive vastly inferior brands, like ... No, I've made enough enemies for one morning.

The virtually all-new 2008 CTS is a terrific car, an excellent successor to the very good first-generation CTS that re-established Cadillac as a luxury brand to be reckoned with.

The 2008 CTS is better looking and much more luxurious and technically sophisticated than the car it replaces, able to stand alongside the BMW 3-series as the world's best sports sedan. In addition to the 3-series, the CTS's prime competition includes the Audi A4, Infiniti G35, Lexus GS 300 and Mercedes-Benz C-class.
    We're talking real money here, but the CTS is a bargain in its class. According to Edmunds.com, comparable all-wheel drive models – the BMW 335xi, Infiniti M35X and Lexus GS350 AWD – run from $4,100 to $9,800 more than the CTS.

Only the Audi A4 Quattro, which will be replaced by a new model next year, came in with a lower sticker price, checking in at $450 less than a comparably equipped CTS.
    Add advanced features like a hard drive to store music and navigation information and the best real-time traffic information system of any car I've tested, and the CTS is second to none in the speedy world of sports sedans.
  • sls002sls002 Member Posts: 2,788
    Is this your opinion, or did you copy it from somewhere? And if it is someone else's ideas, should you not credit them with either a link or at least the source?
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    62' can't link up to his articles. He's always done this.

He's actually Bob Lutz, but don't say anything. :P

-Rocky
    What the article is saying:

Bottom Line is the 2008 Cadillac CTS is the best ELLPS ever made to date. I'd prefer the stick version though. :shades:

Lemko, are you going to give one a test pal ? :)

-Rocky
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,122
    I stopped at the local dealer west and they were lusting after theirs. It was on the truck, they think, but the strike had begun and they didn't know if it was coming or not.

I drove across the road through the Toyo lot. They had lots of tundras. The one of several salesman waved at me as I drove by the front of the building like a near downtown Dayton street lady trying to lure me in, but I resisted. He probably hoped for a laydown deal so he could retail my beautiful crimson LeSabre and make a double profit. :blush:

The Tundras did NOT have contractor boxes on them. Most of the Tundras I've seen on the road are driven by women or men who look like insurance salesmen or office workers.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Well if you get a chance to drive a 08' CTS, you need to give me the details ASAP. :)

As far as those Tundra's go I still haven't warmed up to their styling. I saw on the news last night Toyota, Lexus, Nissan, Infiniti, each had recalls. :D

-Rocky
    Sorry, I get media articles emailed to me w/o links. I put them in italics so you know it is not my thoughts. Forget who wrote the one above.
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    Shoot, I'm afraid if I do I'll come home with one.
    ROTFLMAO.....Trust me if I was in your shoes and didn't want a car payment I'd stay far away from your local Caddy Dealer...... ;)

-Rocky

P.S. I asked you a question a couple days ago in the Report your local gas prices forum. ;)
    I don't go in the "Report Your Local Gas Prices" forum much these days. I'm afraid I'll jinx the fuel prices.
    ...not having a car payment. I just can't let the Cadillac's siren song lead me back that way. Hopefully, I can save up enough money just to buy my next car outright. Of course I don't yet NEED a car. My Seville STS is still very healthy.
    Oh well maybe you can just wait for that
    600 hp. CTS-V ???? :shades:

-Rocky
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    "Sorry, I get media articles emailed to me w/o links. I put them in italics so you know it is not my thoughts. Forget who wrote the one above. "

Source appears to be:

TOWERING SUCCESS: Cadillac CTS rises above other sports sedans with its luxury and technical sophistication
    September 27, 2007

BY MARK PHELAN

FREE PRESS COLUMNIST

The highest compliment I can pay the 2008 Cadillac CTS is that five minutes behind the wheel turned me into as big a jerk as when I test a new BMW.......
    2022 X3 M40i
    I'd probably end up killing myself in that machine, but I'll die with a big smile on my face.
    That would probably make two of us. ;)

-Rocky
  • bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,425
    Cars like a CTS-V have so many nannies on them that as soon as you do something slightly dumb the computers apply the brakes and cut the power down to 50 hp, so the kid in the primer-coated B16 CRX can fly past you. :surprise: :cry:
    They do have a "OFF" button for all those nannies. :blush:

-rockylee
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    The off button doesn't really shut everything off in most of those vehicles but just changes the limits.

Sometimes a certain sequence of presses to the button will shut of the stability and traction control sometimes now. Volvo did that on their "R" models. If you pressed the DTSC button a certain number of times in so many seconds it would completely shut off the system.
    Without knowing the original source, the information is not worth much, and a lot of your quotes are very long. I consider the car magazines like Automobile, Road & Track and Car & Driver to be good sources. Newspaper reporters/critics/whatever are not as good, but some of them have been doing it for a while, and do have some experience.
    My SRX has an on/off button for the traction control. The owners manual says that if I hold that button down for more than 5 seconds, the stability control will shut down too. I have yet to activate either the traction system or stability control.
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    Probably hard to do in that kind of car in AWD on dry pavement.

If I floor one of our rovers from a dead stop going into a turn I might activate the traction/stability control but probably not. The cars are just to heavy and with the AWD it is hard to break traction.

I can't shut off stability or traction control in the rovers either because those systems tie into the Active Roll Mitigation and Roll Stability Control. Plus the stability control in those vehicles is adjustable depending on the road surface using terrain response and terrain sensing software.
    I really have not tried to spin the tires, and do not plan to on dry pavement. I have accelerated hard from a standstill. I am looking forward to getting some snow to drive in though.
    http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpcontainers/do/vdp/articleId=122751/pageNumber=1

From the moment he returned from testing an early example of the 2008 Cadillac CTS at the Nürburgring's Nordschleife racetrack in Germany, our Dan Edmunds couldn't stop talking about his experience. "This thing is fun," he said. "The CTS lives up to everything you expect from a car developed at the Nürburgring." He was so enthusiastic, we wondered if he had spent too much time conducting field research into the Vorläufiges Deutsches Biergesetz (provisional German beer law) to properly judge the new CTS's attributes.

The CTS's new interior treatment has a visual warmth, and interiors from BMW and Mercedes seem cold and austere in comparison, while a Lexus seems antiseptic. The Cadillac's all-new front seats are reasonably comfortable, but some of us begged for more thigh support.
    Standard for the World
    This is the best Cadillac in 40 years. Sure, the direct-injection V6 is only adequate, but it's a great start. Even with the firmest FE-3 suspension package, the CTS proves GM knows how to walk the line between a compliant ride and ultimate handling.

The exterior styling may only be an evolution of the original CTS, but it's far more successful. It has a bolder stance and chic presence the previous car never did, even in CTS-V form. Meanwhile, the interior and mind-blowing infotainment system remind us of the time when Cadillac was called "The Standard of the World."

There's a flip side to the affirmation. The curse is that now that we've seen and experienced the exceptional 2008 Cadillac CTS, there can be no more excuses for mediocre vehicles from GM.

OK, General Motors, you've proved it once. Now the biggest challenge will be to do it again and again. That's how reputations are made.
  • hondacbr1khondacbr1k Member Posts: 12
    Everyone get's caught up on these acceleration numbers...300HP for the street is overkill. In the suburbs where I live it is next to impossible to use all of the power of a CTS or a BMW without risk of an accident or ticket or both. It's sad but that's the way it is. And the demographic that can afford to buy these cars typically can't afford to lose their license or worse. It is fun to have the power but using it all is another story. We should not all run out and buy 4 cylinder hybrids but this needs to kept in perspective.
  • bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,425
    300HP for the street is overkill

Not in a 2-ton car, unfortunately. :sick:
    Well it does do 0-60 in the 5.7-5.8 range with a stick. I "thought" I read somewhere that somebody got a 5.4 0-60 time with a stick. Edmunds, did it in 6.5 with a automatic which is by far the slowest time I've read. :confuse:

Perhaps they had a couple tons of cement bags in the trunk so the number wouldn't approach the foreign cars they bias. :cry:

-Rocky
    While I agree that there is no need for a car to accelerate to 60 in less than 8 seconds, there is also no need to use full throttle from a standstill either. What I have seen for the DI 3.6 is 0-60 in about 6 seconds with the automatic and RWD (source: Cadillac advertising). The AWD is slower. My supercharged 95 Riviera had too much torque from a standstill on icy pavement. I have not found this a problem with my FWD Seville with a northstar V8.
  • louisweilouiswei Member Posts: 3,715
    It doesn't matter if it's 5.4, 5.7, 5.8 or even 6.5 seconds, the matter is that the car weighs about 4100 lbs. That will just hurt the overall performance of the car no matter how powerful a engine you put in there. When going through a corner you'll feel like you are running with an extra big [non-permissible content removed] attached to your body. I would much rather take a 200HP car that weighs 2700 lbs than this beast.

Man, and I thought my 3500 lbs car with 300+HP is heavy...

Nevertheless, the interior is awesome though.
    With AWD it is 4100, RWD is 3900. However, this is more than a 3-series should weigh. But it is bigger than a 3-series too.
    Even with 3900 lbs it is way overweight. The 535i is around 3500 lbs and that's 400 lbs less than the RWD CTS!!

If I am not mistaken, the 5-series is also bigger.
    Even with 3900 lbs it is way overweight. The 535i is around 3500 lbs and that's 400 lbs less than the RWD CTS!!
    535 with the 3.5 Liter/auto is 3700#. 300 hp
    335 with the 3.5 Liter/auto is 3605#.

The comparable 3.6L/auto is 3872#. 300 hp

Size wize:BMW5.........CTS..........BMW3
    Length...191.1.........191.6........178.2
    width....72.7..........72.5.........71.5
    height...57.8..........58...........55.9

So the CTS is as large outside as a 5 series with a 172# differential. For the $20k cost difference GM gives up some lightweight alumium materials perhaps.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,072
    Does anyone really cross shop a 5er with a CTS? Really?
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    Problem w/ high output V6's is that they have to revved wayyy up to provide the power.
    Easier to do w/ a stick.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    While I agree that there is no need for a car to accelerate to 60 in less than 8 seconds, there is also no need to use full throttle from a standstill either.

a Cadillac is not a NEED car either.
    It is a WANT car, and want cars are the ones with the speed and the toys.
    That is why people want them.

That is why I like the new Caddy commerical,about the car turing you on.
    People who buy want cars want those car to elicit a response,they want to be "turned on" by their car.
    Otherwise, they'd drive a Camry.
    Ummmmm - the inline BMW 6 is 3.000 liters, not 3.5 or 3.35 or....
    Does anyone really cross shop a 5er with a CTS? Really?

Probably few. But the comment was the CTS weighs so much more than a 3er but it is actually the size of a 5.
    Ummmmm - the inline BMW 6 is 3.000 liters, not 3.5 or 3.35 or....

OK, both at 300 hp. The L6 is more efficient.

Why is it called a 535 series or 528?
    528i uses a de-tuned version of the 3.0 I6, same goes for the 525i.

535i has a twin-turbo version of the 3.0 I6, thus the nomenclature.
    528i uses a de-tuned version of the 3.0 I6, same goes for the 525i.

535i has a twin-turbo version of the 3.0 I6, thus the nomenclature

Sorry, I do not get it. What does the 28 mean? 35 mean? I know they are different versions of the 3 liter.
    The first number is the series, as you know. The next two numbers indicate the engine, but also are a trim level I think. Going back a few years, the 325 and 525 models had a 2.5 liter inline six. The more upscale 328 and 528 had 2.8 liter inline sixs. The 2.8 liter engine was bumped up to 3 liters, so then these became 330 and 530 models. When the 3 liter engine for the 330 and 530 models got variable valve lift, the 325 and 525 models got a version of the older 3 liter engine without the more costly variable valve lift (I think). With the addition of turbos, the x30 models move up to x35 models.

Perhaps it is worth noting that Mercedes model names include a number to refer to the engine, but one should not conclude that the engine's size is used. The current AMG models with 63 in them really have a 6.2 liter engine.

Cadillac's three letter names do not make a whole lot of sense either; CTS (Catera touring sedan), STS (Seville touring sedan), SRX (Seville utility vehicle :surprise: ), DTS (DeVille luxury sedan - not a sports sedan for sure).
    Lexus, so far, has been the most consistent one with its model nomenclature. I would put Infiniti up there as well. MB is not bad except for the AMG versions. The new BMWs are just down right confusing for the common buyers.

I'll bet that most people who drive a new x25i, x28i and x35i have no idea that there is actually a 3.0L I6 under the hood.
    People who buy a BMW because it is trendy probably have no idea what they have, but car people certainly do. The basic problem with BMW's numbers is that there were x28 models (328 and 528) 10 years ago that were top of the line six's. Now they are bottom (in the USA) of the line six's.

Back in the 60's, Chevy would put an emblem on the side of the car to indicate the engine under the hood, a six got nothing, the small 8 a simple V I think, the 327 added crossed flags and the 409 had 409 under the flags.
    People who own a deVille can answer the question about what kind of car they have by saying they have a deVille. But people with the DTS probably need to say I have a Cadillac DTS (or Cadillac CTS, ....). The Deville name was around for a long enough time to be known by even those whose interest in cars is limited to the appliance category.

I think including engine size in the name is useless information, and when the engine changes, the model name shifts, making for confusion. It would be better to have a separate tag on the car to show what the engine is.
    I refer to my car as a Seville despite the fact the name "Seville" appears nowhere on the car. If I had a DTS, I'd probably call it a DeVille, but if I had a CTS, I most definately would not refer to it as a "Catera Touring Sedan," or worse, a "Cimmaron Touring Sedan!"
  • dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,158
    The origin of those numbers are in displacement, but BMW departed from it long time ago. They shuffle those numbers back and forth, which allows them to have a new name every so often without big changes in the actual car. This way one could quickly distinguish model years on the street - just by looking at the badge.

For example, when new 3-series came along, 325 and 330 were designations used for both 3.0 engines: one was about 180-190 hp, another 220-230 hp. My guess is that 325 was selected to show that the performance in 325 was similar to previous 325 with 2.5 engine. Then they introduced the 3.0 turbo and tuned the NA engine to have performance between 325 and 330 version. The new cars had then performance that would be "natural" to 2.8 and 3.5 engines, hence the names: 328 and 335.

I completely made it up, but I stick to it ;) :shades:

2018 430i Gran Coupe

Like I said, BMW has been pretty confusing with its model nomenclatures lately.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,122
    The 2008 CTS is sure on the road to becoming a standard> it"s a striking car!

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

That'swhy the "V" will be even more exciting to see. :shades:

-Rocky
    Shoot, I saw a regular 2008 CTS from a distance and I was afraid to approach it as I might fall in love. The V-Series will be irresistable. The last thing I need now is a car payment as I'm trying to fix up my place.
  • displacedtexandisplacedtexan Member Posts: 364
    Like I said, BMW has been pretty confusing with its model nomenclatures lately.

Not nearly as bad as Lincoln, though.