Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Cadillac's Image Dying and Does Anyone Care?

Comments

• circlewcirclew Posts: 8,251
    Here is a classic as opposed to the current steel!

Here is the lost legend...

Memories is all I have! Hope this is OK!

Regards
    OW
  • bumpybumpy Posts: 4,435
    Given the rumor that the DTS/STS replacement may be cancelled due to GM's cashflow crisis, this may be as close as Cadillac ever gets to a worthy flagship model.

• cooterbfdcooterbfd Posts: 2,770
    Aaaaah! 2 cars I almost bought.
    ...when US cars were KING!

Regards,
    OW
  • sls002sls002 Posts: 2,788
    US car were KING where? :confuse: King in the US hardly counts for anything. :mad:
    Yes, only in the US...that's where I live. Kings no more or never to be!

Regards,
    OW
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    IMO, the problem with the STS has been 1) its size, little too small, 2) because of the size, it's always confused with the CTS, which makes an owner of the STS angry, when people say, "Nice CTS, like it?". Not enough difference between the two. and 3) the 6 cylinder engine. Just not enough luxury, power and not special enough. The DTS isn't special either, but it's a very comfortable, large ocean liner of a car, which after all, IS Cadillac. The CTS was a hit - but the STS has been a bomb. Were it not for rentals, the DTS wouldn't be that popular either. So, Cadillac has two winners, Escalade in all flavors, and CTS.

How does that stack up with Mercedes or BMW, one of them is arguably the standard of the current world? It's weak. And GM has not the cash to fix it now....so Cadillac rests upon its laurels again.....and soon, it'll be irrelevant as Lincoln is if things don't change. YMMV, this is how I see it.
  • sls002sls002 Posts: 2,788
    If the STS were any bigger it really would not be a sports sedan. It may already be too big for a serious sports sedan, which may actually be the real problem with sales. Now, with the CTS more the size of the 5-series, the STS is not really clearly a good choice. The DTS is the basic de Ville of yesteryear. Both the STS and DTS are low end luxury cars, not quite comparable to the E-class Mercedes which is probably upper low end. The Lexus LS is probably mid-range luxury with the S-class more upper mid-range. Rolls is high end.
  • m4d_cowm4d_cow Posts: 1,491
    Is that supposed to be STS' new interior? Not as nice as I expected.... looks even somewhat cheaper thatn the old one.
    GM's Cadillac will be red faced going forward by this interior. Not perfect but the price will leave Caddy dealers desolate with tumble weed blowing over the STS and DTS leftovers!

Regards,
    OW
    Sure, this interior is nice. Cadillac's is also nice, and more attractive to me, but I am not the sort that would cross shop a Cadillac and a Hyundai, at any price, or any level. Many will differ, but the Hyundai Genesis would cross shop an Impala for me - a nice one. It may win over the Impala, but if I'm in the market for luxury, I won't go to the Hyundai store, no matter how nice it is. If I'm like my father, who felt that upscale brands were a waste of money, and always bought nice Fords and Chevys, but never Lincolns or Cadillacs, even though he could afford to. He may have liked a Genesis. I would prefer the Cadillac.
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,071
    ...the interior in my girlfriend's LaCrosse is nicer than that Genesis. I just love the "I-Drive" knock-off.

Going to a Hyundai dealer for a luxury car is like expecting filet mignon and Dom Perignon at McDonald's. I can imagine the luxury buyer negotiating the terms for a Genesis in the cubicle next to one in which a credit-challenged dude who works part-time at Wal~Mart is begging for financing on a stripped Accent.
    Let's see who will and who won't. Time will tell if Hyundai wil win over Caddy buyers.

The Genesis looks nicer than the DTS or the STS, IMO.

Impala?...Perhaps this vintage

NOT today's bland appliance!

Regards,
    OW
  • m4d_cowm4d_cow Posts: 1,491
    by far the nicest Hyunday interior ever. I still doubt anyone will ever cross shop a Genesis with similarly priced Acura and Infiniti. I mean a $36k hyunday??? Koreans themselves may do so, but anyone else? I doubt it.

This is similar to the Japanese. The toyota crown majesta or dynasty cost an amazing $80k+ (when you convert the currency). Even Toyota reps think noone else but the locals will pull that much for a toyota. They're being sensible, I'm not sure Hyunday is doing the same.
    I think the same $70K for a spiffed-up Chevy Tahoe??? The Escalade will go out of style faster the the Genesis sales will grow.

While I might agree this will take time, I saw the car up close and a $36K Gen will get my money in a heartbeat faster then a $46K DTS.

Regards,
    OW

Regards,
    OW
    IMO the Genesis looks like something the Chinese cobbled together from spare parts lying around from other knock-offs of well-known luxury cars. I saw the car in person at the Philadelphia Auto Show and it was hardly nicer than a Sonata with the same cheap-looking materials.

Genesis a luxury car? Yeah, I'll be seeing these ads on television marketed toward the underemployed and credit-challenged between Jerry Springer and Maury Povich:

"$99 down, $99 a month on a new Hyundai Genesis at the Cherry Hill Triplex!"
    I'd have to smoke crack rocks the size of boulders, smoke blunts as big as telephone poles, shoot up all the heroin on the street, and drink the entire Jack Daniels distillery to even think the Genesis was even remotely as prettier than the DTS.

The Genesis looks like a Maxima with Pep Boys wheels and a Chinese-designed front-end. I guess this is what a Chinese knock-off of a Lexus ES would look like. You'd pay $36K for a Hyundai? It isn't worth $16K to me.
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Posts: 6,048
    While I might agree this will take time, I saw the car up close and a $36K Gen will get my money in a heartbeat faster then a $46K DTS.

I can completely believe that and so will anyone one who knows your preferences. But then again you are in our own reality. :P

Escalade still sold almost 3000 units in July. That is 36,000 units per year. While not the same as last year there are still lots of buyers out there in this $4 / gallon gas and drop in overall economy.
    I get it, I get it! Relax!

Affordable luxury isn't perfect! I guess Caddy got it right in design for you for sure!

Regards,
    OW
    Your opinion has piqued my interest OW....I'm sure there are others out there like you who are captivated by the Genesis, and it will probably sell pretty well. But since your profile is private, may I ask you what you drive now? Maybe I can figure out who the target customer is for the Gen.....