Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Cadillac's Image Dying and Does Anyone Care?

Comments

• nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    how did Caddy lose the magic?

Easy. They quit being the best in about 1980, and started putting real crap on the road. My 1983 Fleetwood Brougham was my first Cadillac, and it was lovely, except it had a 4.1L Aluminum V-8 that was slow, and self destructed in 20,000 miles, and constantly leaked. So I traded it on the downsized 1985 Fleetwood. Same engine though, FWD, and no, they didn't fix the engine. Same thing happened. Traded it on a 1987 Sixty Special. Oops, same damn engine, same damn thing happened, but I put some serious change into that car, so I kept it until 1990, and bought another Fleetwood. This one had a revised 4.5L engine in it, and wasn't so bad, but the rest of the car was just mediocre at best, and unreliable generally. That's when I switched to Lincoln, in 1992, and never went back. In 2002 I left Lincoln for Lexus, and feel no urges to go back to Cadillac, despite the good little CTS. And I do mean little....

Cadillac will never be the same, nor will the world. That's what went wrong with their magic, they got complacent, and the competition got smart.
  • jimbresjimbres Posts: 2,025
    Ah, it's just as I thought: you can't drive a stick & your domineering girl friend won't let you learn. Too bad.

Still, you're partly right about the 3. It's not a luxury car & BMW shouldn't try to market it as one. Those of us who really like BMW aren't thrilled with the latest iteration of the 3-series. It's put on too much weight & it's losing its edge.

(And, BTW, the Datsun 510 was a genuinely cool car - cheap, durable & fun to drive.)

As for Cadillac, it won't be a serious contender in the luxury segment until it figures out how to attract status-conscious buyers from the Germans. A luxury brand can't stay alive by selling only to bargain hunters like you. It desperately needs people who crave the badge. Cadillac used to own these buyers. It has to get them back.
  • circlewcirclew Posts: 8,250
    Try the current 3 before you surmise what banging around is. The hard-core bimmerfiles call it a BUICK! But it won't slam into the wall on a spirited turn and leave all current US cars in the dust.

Regards,
    OW
    Yup. That's the only place it will be in style...high school reunions!

Regards,
    OW
    Heck,Hyundai will get them before Caddy gets them back. That will put them far deeper in the whole...until they loose the UAW and management of old, no chance in Hades!

Regards,
    OW
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,071
    Oh, I'm familiar with those early '80s Caddies and I avoid them like the plague. They're beautiful cars with awful engines. If I were Cadillac during that period, I'd have stuck with the 425 V-8 and given the eco-weenies and their stupid CAFE rules an upright middle finger until a decent alternative could be developed.

I've been doing well since I bought my first new Cadillac in 1989. I followed it up with a 1994 DeVille, a 2002 Seville STS, and my current DTS Performance. If they were so bad, I wouldn't keep buying them.
    I learned to drive a stick a long time ago on a 1953 Chevrolet truck. I've followed up with driving my then-girlfriend's 1994 Jetta and my friend's BMW Z-4. It might be fun on the open road, but rowing through the gears in city traffic everyday would be tiresome at best.

Oh, my girlfriend - she's a very petite 5' 1" and weighs 99 lbs. She's far from "domineering."

I truly love the Cadillac marque. If a Caddy cost the same as a Bimmer or Benz, I would still buy it.
  • bumpybumpy Posts: 4,435
    If they were so good, how come you only kept one of them? :P
  • ingvaringvar Posts: 205
    If a teeny tiny 3-Series is the kind of car you want. I'd spend the same money on a very nice Buick and get my money's worth.
    Not everybody needs a huge car. I love 135i. I could drive it around any Buick:-)
    I still have my 1989 Cadillac Brougham and it is still in excellent condition. I intend to keep this car for life! I traded the 1994 DeVille for the 2002 Seville STS and the Seville STS for the DTS Performance.
  • cooterbfdcooterbfd Posts: 2,770
    ".....Not everybody needs a huge car."

Well, not everybody needs a midgetmobile. Try to put your wife and 2 teens in a 135. I can put them in my Park Ave, AND put you in your 135i in my trunk and go places. :P
  • link title

Cadillac STS/DTS replacement to be FWD?
    DT7? Might as well Call it "C11".

Regards,
    OW
  • thank god!! for my xlrv my exotic car collection is now 100% completed(sigh)
    iam rich and dont give a seals testicle if you hate it or ???????????what???
    main thing its mine..greg berlin reno nv. ps. maybe you should stick too rugby?aye?
    GM has made great strides with Cadillac, but in order to make it the standard of the world again, they need to get more out there than the 2 platforms they have now, and make a bigger car than the CTS/STS is. You can barely tell the difference between them at this point, and the STS is just not a large enough car. To get a Cadillac with any size at all, you must buy the old fashioned FWD DTS, while not a bad car, is not competitive with the Lexus, BMW or Mercedes today. The CTS is clearly a hit, but is too small and the line needs to be filled out. The XLR is not a bad offering, and it would be nice if it is continued, but it sells in such small numbers it's doubtful that it makes them any money.

IMO, Cadillac should have the CTS, STS and a larger DTS that is RWD and fully competitive with an S-Class or a 7 series. Then, they would have a chance to at least compete with the standards of the world again.
    ..a larger DTS that is RWD and fully competitive with an S-Class or a 7 series

I like that idea and I'd be first in line for such a car!
    When GM gets it's much belated haircut, perhaps GM will be in a position to invest in the brand again instead of wasting cash on clones and the like.

We will be waiting and watching. In the meantime, what say you regarding the Tesla S Sedan?

This week, Tesla unveiled its 4-door sedan, the Model S. The seven seat, electric plug-in that will boast killer features like a 17-inch infotainment touch-screen, retracting door handles, LED/neon headlight and tail lights, as well as some pretty stellar performance metrics like 0-60 in 5.6 seconds and a top speed of 120mph, is due for delivery in 2011 and will carry a $50,000-60,000 price tag.

This bodes well for the future of automotive design and hopefully Cadillac becomes a player.

Regards,
    OW
    The Tesla works remarkably well. There is one drawback however, it takes 16 hours to fully recharge one that is discharged. In that case, you need a second car to drive to work tomorrow.......

I like the FCX Clarity that Honda has out in California..... That to me, is the future of the car.
    Unless you are a hyper commuter, you only need to plug in your Tesla S when you get to work....after all, good companies will supply power grids for their staff to ensure they get to/from the shop! Then, you effectively have 20 hrs./day to work with and no trips to the gas station!! :D :shades:

I will buy into that in a heartbeat.

I will check out the FCX Clarity for sure. Thanks!

Regards,
    OW