Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Nissan entering the hybrid fray

fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
edited March 2014 in Nissan
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15949445/

Nissan will be producing a hybrid Altima at the beginning of the year. 41/36 on the mileage. That could be fun!
2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.

Comments

• Options
    larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    The TCH originally came out in published reports as 43/36 and after the EPA tested it got 40/38. Will be interesting to see what the EPA gets in the NAH.

Also this:

It will only be sold in California, Massachusetts, New York, New Jersey, Vermont, New Hampshire, Connecticut and Pennsylvania.

So those in any other state, plan on working a little bit if you choose this car. :shades:
  • Options
    fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    I noticed that. Well, I'm in New Jersey but the local Nissan dealer is a crook so I'm about back where I started....
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • Options
    gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    It will only be sold in California, Massachusetts, New York, New Jersey, Vermont, New Hampshire, Connecticut and Pennsylvania.

Maybe Nissan has a diesel up their sleeve for the other 45 states. That would be a kick if they beat Honda & Toyota to our shores with a diesel sedan.
  • Options
    terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
    About the time that happened, I would be more concerned with the giant in the sky, with a beard and robes, lots of Angels singing.... :P
  • Options
    moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Wow, and some people complain that diesels are not sold in all states. Hybrid Altima is only going to be sold in 8 states! What if it broke down in the middle of Nebraska during a road trip? Sorry, no parts stocked, and the mechanics are not trained on them 8 state hybrids. :surprise:
  • Options
    terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
    One wouldn't be wrong, however, in assuming a trained and certified mechanic is able to read, however. Since the repair manuals are all on databases, I would have confidence in their ability to diagnose and repair using those tools. Even a Chrysler product. :P
  • Options
    moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    One wouldn't be wrong, however, in assuming a trained and certified mechanic is able to read, however. Since the repair manuals are all on databases, I would have confidence in their ability to diagnose and repair using those tools.

I'm pretty picky about who works on my vehicles. Practice makes perfect and no experience usually leads to many mistakes. Dealers outside of the 8 state sales region will have little to no experience and I doubt that many dealerships will send any or at most more than one tech. to the training for the hybrid.
    Many dealerships in the area in which I live have a very high turnover in the service area. I suspect you would be surprised if not shocked how many errors are made in the diagnosis and repair of vehicles.
    Your glass is half full, my glass is half empty.

In my many years I've found that even if you use a trusted shop there may at times be a new employee being trained. As I found out when during a routine oil change the incorrect filter was installed on my wife's car with the end result being a new engine installed by the shop. I wonder if the repair manual on the database was consulted? :P

If I wanted a hybrid in this class of vehicle I'd stick with the Camry or Prius for the simple reason they are sold in all states.
  • Options
    newcarsnewcars Member Posts: 103
    But I bought a Toyota Camry Hybrid instead. Fully-loaded, and just before the full, $2,600 tax credit ended at the end of September 2006.

Things that I heard about the Altima Hybrid that the Toyota lacks: a backup camera, "traffic-mapping" with XM Radio and a (slightly?) larger fuel tank. Plus the Altima has a generally-sportier drive. For the first couple of benefits, however, you need to purchase the $7,500 Technology Package.

Things I like about the Toyota over the Camry: smooth ride (although, again, I wish it were sportier) and a solid feel that I don't get with the Altima. I also prefer the interior of the Camry but that is just a matter of personal preference. Also, the quality and resale value of Toyota has generally been better than Nissan.

Oh yes, the estimated tax credit for the Altima Hybrid is only $2,350 (instead of the initial tax credit of $2,600). Considering the way they base the tax credit (using a formula on mileage and mileage improvement), that would seem to indicate that the mileage on the Altima Hybrid -- despite preliminary EPA estimates -- isn't quite as good as that of the Camry Hybrid but that remains to be seen. Besides, as of this date, the tax credit for the Camry is only $1,300 and will probably be down to $650 when the Altima Hybrid is finally available.

Truth be known, if the Altima Hybrid was available when I purchased the Camry Hybrid, I would have given the Altima very serious consideration. But in the meantime, I am very, very satisfied with my Camry Hybrid.

By the way, you can find good information on the Altima Hybrid at Nissan News.

And if anyone here buys or test drives an Altima Hybrid, please let us know how you like it.
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    I've created a new Nissan Altima Hybrid Group here on the hybrids board and I'll be using a couple of posts from here to seed discussions in the new folder. Altima hybrid fans just need tofollow that link!
This discussion has been closed.