Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Venture Electrical Problems

bishop942bishop942 Member Posts: 4
Does anyone know if and possibly where the fuses for all of the interior lights -courtesy inside rear. There are no lights going on and I can't seem to find any fuse for this problem in the fusebox under the hood. I checked the bulbs and they are good they just don't work. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• calebsmommycalebsmommy Member Posts: 1
    i have a 1999 Chevy venture and a few months ago my power window on the driver side, my door locks on both sides and my cd player all quit any ideas why.thanks :cry:
  • ronsmith38ronsmith38 Member Posts: 228
    Have you checked that the activation switch has not been accidently turned off?
  • bishop942bishop942 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the only switch I really know about is the little wheel switch on the left hand side of the steering wheel. (rolling it all the way to the right) if you could tell me about where it (the activation switch) is I could definitely check it. I have googled "Chevy venture activation switch" with no results. Once again thank you for all of your help
  • just4fun2just4fun2 Member Posts: 461
    The switch should be located in the overhead switches on the ceiling.
    Yes, the official name of the switch is the "Interior Lamps Override Switch" and is located in the overhead console switchbank. (At least is is on my 2000 Olds Silo.)
    When he was younger, my grandson liked to mess with these switches and sometimes left the interior lights turned off.
    Thanks for the reply. I do see a switch on the overhead console, one with a light with a crossed out circle on it. When the regular headlight are on. The button/swith lights up. also when I rotate the dimmer switch that button also dims. I flip that switch and the lights still don't work. If you have any other suggestions I will greatly appreciate them. Otherwise I'll have to get a test light and start behind that switch.
    Sorry the easy fix was not there. I guess it's the old test light after all. A wiring diagram might help. Not sure where to get one.
  • laker_42laker_42 Member Posts: 4
    On my 98 venture, the radio control lights go out whenever the headlights comeon. It is kind of annoying because we can't tell what we are listening to from about 5pm til 8 am. :) Has anyone run across this on this van? Is it possibly a short somewhere?

Thanks,
    John
    When the headlights go on the dash lights (including radio lights) are dimmed. The thinking is that the lights need not be as bright in the dark to see them. The dash lights are also manually adjustable, with a horizontal wheel to the left of the steering wheel (I think).
    Thanks, but I have tried that already. That is what I thought initially but it didn't fix it.

Any other ideas?
    Is it only the radio lights that go out? If so, that is somewhat of a mystery. If the dash lights also go out, then it may be a faulty component in the switching circuit when the head lights are turned on.
    Yeah, it is only the radio components. That is what makes it strange.

Thanks,
    John
    Thanks for the reply. Sorry about the time. I did in fact find a way to reroute. I took that overhead console apart and shorted with a piece of wire. (at the switch) I don't think it works like it originally is supposed to but at least I can get some light. there is a power supply on that switch that actually lights up the actual button. I used that and now the interior lights dim with the dimmer wheel. I keep the wheel rotated as far right as possible (without the click) and just use the overhead switch to turn on the interior lights. You have been great thanks for your help. I hope this kinda helps for anyone else having this problem.
  • jkemp9jkemp9 Member Posts: 2
    A while ago the rear vent windows stopped opening. Then the rear wiper and washer stopped. Is there a common wire harness or connector that may have come apart?
  • rlp50rlp50 Member Posts: 13
    I guess this is a bit similar to the post by bishop942. The dash lights don't work when the headlights come on. It is intermittent in that it might work one time and not the next. The overhead console switch that powers the interior lights also has a small circle with a line through it on the switch that, unlike bishiop942's problem, does not light up. Probably isn't the dimmer switch as rotating the control dims the lights on the radio and when rotated fully turns on the interior lights. The overhead console switch also seems to work fine as it turns the interior lights on and off. Any ideas?
    Thanks, RP
  • jkemp9jkemp9 Member Posts: 2
    I bought a manual and got the wire schematics. Found the wiper fuse was blown and fixed that problem. The rear vents however, still don't operate. Their fuse is good. Schematic shows a black wire from the front switch to the rear motors. Along the way it switches to a brown wire. Anyone know where that junction is? Motors can operate independently so I am still looking at the common line. thanks
  • oden08oden08 Member Posts: 1
    The main and auxiliary fans in my 2001 Chevy Venture have stopped working causing my van to overheat on occasion. Along with the fans not working my compressor also isn't kicking on as they stopped working relatively at the same time I think this points to an electrical problem. I have checked the fuses and they all seem good. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :cry:
  • raincldsrainclds Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Venture Van. When I put my van in reverse the turn signals come on dim and solid. When I turn on a turn signal it clicks fast like a lightbulb needs replacing. When I turn on a turn signal and the brakes together, the reverse lights come on. I have replaced all the bulbs with the correct bulbs and replaced a bad panel in the rear. Still having the problem. I can't signal to turn at a stop light or intersection, just waiting to get a ticket. :cry: :confuse:
  • rcavittrcavitt Member Posts: 1
    Well, I've got the same problem with a 98 Venture. Fuse for interior lights keeps popping. I'm not sure where to start.
  • warpath1warpath1 Member Posts: 6
    Ihave been having the same problem, I looked at the connector to the rear light assembly and the wire in the middle of the connector is melting away the plastic I replaced the connectors and it worked for a while ,but now it has melted the new ones and is not working again. If you find the problem please let me know. :confuse:
  • rlp50rlp50 Member Posts: 13
    I have a 2000 Venture that had the same problem. GM claims it has to do with moisture getting into the contacts causing an increase in resistance thus causing overheating (to the point it sometimes melts the plastic on the bulb). They suggest using Dielectric grease on the contacts which is a good idea. Mine was always dry so not sure about their theory. I finally changed to a Philips bulb as it seems to have a better plastic base for the bulb (same number - 3057) and stands up to the heat better. The base is clear and must be a better grade of plastic than the stock black ones. Anyway, that plus the grease seems to have done the trick for me. I have also heard that if you keep the brakes on for a long time it also causes the bulbs to overheat. However, it has only ever occurred on the driver's side. Bottom line is it's a crappy design and they should go back to the old bulbs with the base contacts. Oh well, progress and technology, what a mix. Hope this helps.
    Cheers,
    RP
  • insulatorinsulator Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 Chevy Venture's signals won't work. Checked the fuse, that's okay. The four way flashers work. The bulbs are fine. The in-line flasher works. Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong?
  • bluevanbluevan Member Posts: 1
    Have a 2000 Venture van. The turn left signal socket is bad and I want to replace it. Tried to find a NAPA # seems they don't have one. Am I stuck at purchasing one thru the dealer?
  • warpath1warpath1 Member Posts: 6
    It took me a few calls to the junk yards. I found the whole light unit with connectors for 1/2 the price of what a connector costs at a dealer. good luck!
  • boormomboormom Member Posts: 1
    :confuse: Hey!! This is my first time here, so if this sounds weird I apologize!! My air isn't working...when this took place I'm losing all power to the dash lights & my overhead that tells outside temp & mileage ...so forth. These lights are coming & going & we can't find the problem. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!
  • zbug79zbug79 Member Posts: 1
    VAN BLOWS FUSE WHEN PUT IN REVERSE. CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT THIS FUSE IS FOR? DON'T HAVE AN OWNERS MANUAL. THANKS.
  • philb2philb2 Member Posts: 1
    Have you gotten this problem resolved???

I have the same problem with my 01 Venture. I have checked the fan motors replaced the relays, checked the temp sensor, still the 1&2 cool fans dont work and the a/c compressor wont come on. If I figure this out I will let you know.
  • godstergodster Member Posts: 3
    2001 venture, I love this truck, although it has few minor problrms, like any other vehicule i've ever owned, this is so far my favourite one to drive...I have a flickering light issue, all my lights flicker, all the time, inside and out. fuel guage is acting up, and sometimes some wierd stuff explainably happens.

Any thoughts?
  • mudman1mudman1 Member Posts: 7
    I just purchased a 2001 Venture for a very good price.It needed a few repairs I was able to do myself.
    The Airbag warning light remains on after I start it up.
    Also my temp gauge stops working sometimes.
    It will start out working fine and after driving for about 10 miles or so it just goes down to "C" and stays there. I have an after market scan tool so I am able to see the actual temp of the coolant. I drove to work and the gauge stopped working on the way. When I returned home, both fans were running and the scan tool indicated the temp was 167 degrees. I found this strange because I had just driven 70 miles on the freeway.The intake gasket and the thermostat was just replaced the cooling system just flushed (3) times. I Did not use "Dexcool". A very good GM mechanic of mine which I trust with all of my cars (22 years GM Exp. with heavy repair) says that "Dexcool" crystalizes and plugs the cooling system. (You can see for yourself when you remove the cap on the radiator and overflow bottle.)I am wondering if there is something I can check to fix these problems. TIA
  • bambambam18bambambam18 Member Posts: 1
    hi my name is john from nc my wife has the same problem, with her 2000 chevy venture ,,,,,now her battery when dead any way to fix this please let me know thank u bye
  • poliahjpoliahj Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1994 lumina mini van It starts run for a while then stalls and will not start for a long time after. I changed the Crank sensor,cam sensor,Whole throttle body,and it still does the same thing please help?
  • tech47tech47 Member Posts: 1
    flickering light bad ground on voltage regulator take screw out of back of alternator 1 ft 10 gauge wire whith eyelets on each end run wire from screw to alternator mounting bolt on front 15mm socket that will solve flickering lights hope this helps only takes 20 mins
  • scott78scott78 Member Posts: 3
    HI
    2002 Venture Van 3.4
    Runs perfectly but occasionally lites come on and go away soon after.
    Any thoughts?
  • cmdavis1cmdavis1 Member Posts: 2
    I need som help. The blower motor in my 2000 chevy venture will not shut off unless I pull the breaker fuse in the fuse box. I have replaced the breaker switch and don't know where to go from here. And suggestions would be a great help.

thanks
  • awarbleawarble Member Posts: 2
  • awarbleawarble Member Posts: 2
    For as long as i have had my venture I can say the only problem i have had with it is the headlight. They are not that bright at night. I've tried adjusting and still the headlight really stink. Anybody have the same problem and or have a solution?

Thanks,

Adam
    Lagrange, IN
  • adamsmith36adamsmith36 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 venture with two electrical problems.
    The 1st to appear was the door locks would unlock themselves repeatedly while driving or parked. Checked door locks and BCM (body control module)No luck.

The 2nd problem started a few weeks later. There is a sensor below the windshield that brightens the radio display in daylight and dims it at night. Now the radio is normal in daylight unlit at night.

I have heard mention of some troublesome connections/splices in the venture wiring under the carpet. Could this be the problem?
  • maecmaec Member Posts: 1
    MY AIRBAG LIGHT WAS ALSO STAYING ON ,I HAPPENED TO START ADJUSTING MY DRIVERS SEAT AND NOTICED THE LIGHT WOULD GO OUT , SO I TRIED IT AGAIN &AGAIN AND EACH TIME IT WOULD GO OUT AND ON. SO WHEN I BOUGHT IT TO THE DEALER I TOLD HIM ABOUT MOVING THE SEAT BACK AND FORTH THAT IT HAD SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE AIRBAG LIGHT. WHEN THEY CHECKED THEY FOUND THAT UNDER THE SEAT THE WIRE WAS DICONNECTING .NO CHARGE ON THAT . BUT MY GAS GAUGE DOSEN'T WORK . THEY MENTIONED A NEEDED FUEL PUMP .(875.00)
  • firedawg715firedawg715 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1999 Venture. When the headlights are on every once in a while the instrument panel lights go off and when they do the tailights also go off. Also, the fuel gauge doesnt work and the passenger side power mirror moves by itself! ANY SUGGESTION? PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!
  • firedawg715firedawg715 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1999 chevy venture. The bell(dinger) that alerts you that the keys are in the ignition or the headlights are on keeps going off for no apparent reason, in fact it gets faster when I take the keys out of the ignition! ANY CLUE?
  • sledingtnsledingtn Member Posts: 1
    1st amber light on right goes out, we replace, within hours it goes out. Few weeks later right headlight goes out, replace it, it works but the left headlight is not on any longer :( Anyone else have this issue?
  • edorschedorsch Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a used 2002 Venture. No owner's Manual.

The interior lights do not come on when the doors open. They work, but only when I manually turn the lights on.

Is there some switch I need to hit to allow for them to come on automatically?

Also, the back seat overhead controls for the heat also do not seem to work, even when I put the front switch on "R"...any help greatly appreciated
  • edorschedorsch Member Posts: 2
  • 442dude442dude Member Posts: 373
    Had the same issue with our 2000 Venture - replaced alternator -no more flicker. Get a remanufactured alternator - the GM OEM ones had weak voltage regulators.

Low voltage in any vehicle can make the electronics do weird things - if the supply voltage isn't right it gets everything "confused"

Good Luck - these alternators are a royal pain to replace. On the 2000+ years you rotate the engine forward to get to them, I believe before 2000 you get to it from the bottom by loosening or removing a frame part
  • efitzgeraldefitzgerald Member Posts: 62
    Hi Adamsmith.....did you ever find out what was causing the door lock situation? My friends venture is doing the same thing and i wanna help her out as much as possible. You can respond here or email me directly henhawked@hdsb.ca thanks,
  • peggy216peggy216 Member Posts: 3
  • peggy216peggy216 Member Posts: 3
    Sorry first time I do this. My 2002 chevy venture van is having electrical problems. I did take it to the chevy dealer but will cost me more then $750.00 to find a power wire number 1340 that is not getting power from battery to module. As the repair man stated if its disconnected he will reconnect it, if its frayed he will tape it, if its corroded he will replace it for the unbelievable price of over $750.00 estimated. If anyone out there has any info please write me back. Just in case this is what is happening I have no tail lights, no dash lights, and no auto daytime running lights but i do have manual headlights and tail lights. Thanks to all who help!!!!!
  • efitzgeraldefitzgerald Member Posts: 62
    If you know where this powerwire is , why not take it elsewhere (a place you trust) and get some more prices. Or, you can buy this wire yourself and just pay for the labour at a cheaper place. Just a thought.
  • 442dude442dude Member Posts: 373
    Hello...

I'll assume you're talking about the front HVAC blower. You may want to check your blower motor resistor - (its located right behind the blower motor in the passenger side wheel well) but typically when they fail you lose 1 or more speeds on your blower.
    But I'm thinking that your fan speed selector switch is shot - sounds like its sending voltage to the resistor even when you put it in the off position. Its a pretty simple circuit so its got to be 1 or the other.

BTW - blower motor resistor failures are common on Ventures...just not sure its your problem in this case
  • filetmefiletme Member Posts: 2
    Hi All,

I have a 2001 Chevy Venture that is behaving a little strangely.

It appears that the brake lights are not working at all. When we depress the brake pedal the intensity of the lights do not increase at all. I also took the lights out of the housing and noticed that the second filament does not light up when the brake is depressed.

I have replaced the bulbs with brand new ones.

What could be causing this issue? Is there something wrong in the electrical?

Thank you for any help ... if there is any information that I could add that would help, please let em know.