Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Venture Electrical Problems

Comments

• 99ventureowner99ventureowner Member Posts: 3
    check the board behind the brake lights
  • vmt808vmt808 Member Posts: 1
    1 - Car interior lights won't go on unless I turn them all on via the switch near the radio
    2 - Car headlights can't be adjusted or turned off at night, no matter what I put the setting to they stay on.
    3 - Rear windshield wiper will move but it swings in the opposite (wrong) direction
    4 - My mirror adjuster doesn't work.

I just bought this thing with 77k miles on it for 5grand, did I get hosed?
  • mcrrtmcrrt Member Posts: 93
    #1 Make sure the interior light override switch (located in the roof console) isn't engaged.

#2 The headlights are run by a dashboard mounted light sensor; if it's dark, the headlights are going to turn on automatically.

#3 Can't help ya.

#4 Make sure the adjuster knob isn't in the center (off) position. Other than that, make sure the fuse isn't blown.

Good luck!
  • kwatson11kwatson11 Member Posts: 1
    Ok so i thought my fuel pump went out on my 2003 chevy venture and after replacing it just to find out that there is a wiring harness that come through the floor board behind the drivers seat to underneath the van and plugs into another one was the problem and ive had my van for just over a week after getting that fixed and driving today my battery light kept coming on and turning off finally it just died and it would continue to die after jumping it again now right before it dies all the gauges quit could this be electrical or is it just i need a new altenator.
  • layne1971layne1971 Member Posts: 9
    edited March 2011
    I had a problem on my 2000 which my dash lights would go out, including the gauges and message center. I finally figured it out. It was the distribution box under the hood. I took the box out and opened the bottom of it, then took a screw driver and pushed all the contacts in. This may have happened when I had to get to the battery. I never thought of putting different then 9004 in. Just got the type before Silverstar.
  • fltcoilsfltcoils Member Posts: 8
    1999 Chevy Venture Driver Information Center Repair.

I researched and finally found a fix for non functioning Driver Information Center.

The solution was similar to that found for similar modules on other brands of vehicles.

Remove the Driver Information Center Module
    (See GM manual for procedure)

Push back clips from black housing box and carefully remove circuit board

Place circuit card flat on table.
    Place display and component side of circuit board facing up
    Rotate circuit board so the display module side is facing you
    There are button switches on either side of the display module
    Look at the right button switch.
    Next to it just left and above are four 1/4" X 1/8" black components attached to the circuit board
    They are marked 430, 430, 820 and 820 reading from top to bottom.
    These are resistors with 43 and 82 ohm values.

On the two modules I have repaired the problem was with the top most resistor. It is marked 430 and is 1/2" above and 1/4" to the left of the right button switch. The soldering to the circuit board had fractured. I resoldered the resistor into place using a bit of solder and 15 Watt pencil soldering iron.

All fixed.

The problem is NOT the black spot on the display in the upper left corner
    The problem is NOT the DC to DC converter modules.

Why does it come loose?
    I believe the resistor was part of the circuit which supplied power to the display module plates.

The resistor came loose due to the metallurgy of solder. The solder often is a mixture of tin and lead. The tin is more strongly attracted to the copper in the circuit board than the lead is attracted. When hot, when within 10% of melting temperature (resistors designed to run hot), the tin near the circuit board face will move. Having moved there is stress in the solder at the locations where it left. These holes create high stress in the solder structure, this leads to a fracture staight across the mounting face of the resistor as smooth and complete as if a knife cut the resistor loose. This only happens in designs which allow parts to heat to values close to the melting point of the solder. This rarely would happen in the past before surface mounted components. The cure would be higher temperature solder, cooler running parts, avoiding flat straight mounting interfaces, etc. Reheating the joint sets it right for a while.

Key words:
    Chevy Venture 1999
    DIC
    Driver Information Center
    VA344314KMD
    VFD Vacuum Fluorescent Display
    Futuba VA3527 2-BT-225GN
  • chelmarsiechelmarsie Member Posts: 5
    Hi. My grandparents own a 2003 Mazda MPV. How many oxygen sensors do they have? I am trying to see if we can find someone to do a cheaper job since they don't have much money and the one garage is telling them just for the 3 sensors it will cost them $240...thanks,
    Penne
  • noventurenoventure Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Chev. Venture. Several months ago my interior overhead lights went out, the next day the power sliding side door stopped working & about the same time my rear windshield wiper quit working as well. Fuses have been changed...that's not the problem. Anyone have any ideas?
  • jolee472jolee472 Member Posts: 1
    Okay so here's something strange. I have replaced every signal and parking light, side light bulb in my 98 venture van. Everything works great until it needs the headlights on. Once the headlights are on, the left rear signals fluctuate with the left rear brake lights. It just won't do this during daylight driving. I have ask the mechanics at work and their response is that one of my bulbs has a filament that disconnects and crosses over. I say no. Why would all the signals work fine during daylight driving but then go into a crossing mode at night time.
  • wdf73wdf73 Member Posts: 2
    I think I have the same thing going on with my 02 Venture. What is that connector box called, and where did you get one?
  • kwatson12kwatson12 Member Posts: 1
    Im not sure what its called but you hafta get it from the dealer it ran me about 100 dollars for both pieces. all i know is it goes through the floor board behind the drivers seat and connects back by the gas tank. I had a shop do the work but if you get under the van and find these connectors and mess with them while someone turns the ignigtion then you can determine if thats it
  • ephraimbephraimb Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2011
    i have a chevy venture 1999 bought a book to locate the flasher hazard switch an its not where the book says any suggestions.... my turn signals dont work at all it says to the left of the steering column an i looked even pulled the panel under the steering column any ideas
  • cujocececujocece Member Posts: 6
    Here we go. My brother in law and I put a 2002 3.4 engine in a 2000 venture. All is back together but when you go to start it up you turn the key and the headlights go out. Gear indicator is never lit on the cluster and calabration error is on the radio. On the cluster is goes from flashing battery to security. The vehicle will not read any codes as though it is locked out. The engine was originally from california and was put into a east coast van but we stripped every down and replaced mostly everything, help me please.
    The flasher is way up behind the instrument clusters above the steering wheel. You need a flashlight to see it, it's kinda white or ivory toward the engine compartment. That's where it's at on my 2000 Venture.
    It's not as easy as working on older cars with onboard computers, that's where I would start because the original engines is programmed into the PCM. Why it can tell the difference I don't know. You say you got the Grand-Am engine from California, did you use your vans parts on this engine block or Grand-Am? which is probably set up with California Emissions Standard. Does the vans parts fit on the grand-am block? I once put a 1976 block in a 1984 LTD that had throttlebody injection, I rebuilt the 76 but put the 84 intake, heads and electrical. I had one problem, the 84 had a thermactor or smog pump, it ran but smoked like a freight train. I eventually got rid of it, didn't have the time and money to put in it because it became a money pit.
    Did you figure it out yet? My money is on the voltage regulator but you already replaced it when you replaced your alt. The other problems could be your serpentine belt itself or tensioner. If you ever have to get another alt, have it tested before leaving the store, especially rebuilts. This maybe two years late but could be helpful in the future. AC will pull on the power, what can you do when your sitting at a light or traffic?
    when I got my van, the wiondows didn't work at all. I had to replace the switches, now they work fine except the passenger side which is slower. Guess I'll put some greese on the tracks. Try replacing your switches then loobing the tracks or any moving parts.
  • desperado2294desperado2294 Member Posts: 1
    Ok i have a 2004 chevy Venture after cleaning the injetors and replacing them four times i finally got my van to going after fighting a soda in the gas issue but now my sliding side door motors went out then my temp gauge and ac went out i checked every fuse i can sheck i was wondering if anyone could lend me some advice
  • lovehate97lovehate97 Member Posts: 2
    Angie, I'm having same relay issue. Did you ever figure it out?
  • lovehate97lovehate97 Member Posts: 2
    My 1997 venture keeps popping the fuel pump relay. Sometimes when sitting still some when running/driving. This started about 1 year ago. Sometimes if I let the van sit for 20 minutes, pull the relay and put it back in it'll run fine. Is the pump faulty?
    I have not had this problem and I have a 2000 Venture.
    Did you replace the relay? If not do so and if that doesn't help, replace the fuel pump.
  • bigboy24bigboy24 Member Posts: 4
    Hey guys, this link will take care of your GM cars starting problems, check for your models. a full bypass to your car security:
    http://newrockies.com?ap_id=iykeus
  • bigboy24bigboy24 Member Posts: 4
    Hey guys, this link will take care of your GM cars starting problems, check for your models. a full bypass to your car security:
    http://newrockies.com?ap_id=iykeus
  • leer3leer3 Member Posts: 3
    Electrical problem, on the second start of the day after going out for gas the A/C, fan, compass, temp won't work for about 5 to 15 minutes then it starts on its own. Seems like it may be a ground but I'm not sure where the body ground is . Anybody with the same problem?
    Your body ground is usually near the battery. My gas gauge is either full or empty, Sometimes the intermittent wipers don't work in which I have to have it on high to get them to work. I have a 2000 venture..
    desperardo2294 any resolution on your problem yet, I'm having a similar situation with A/C, fan and temp being out on start up then coming back on after about 10 minutes of driving. All fuses check out fine.
  • rlethbridgerlethbridge Member Posts: 1
    I am having problems with my 1997 Chevy Venture....after checking out wiring...I bypassed the fuse box & hooked up the fuel pump direct...the pump is working, and there is lots of spark however the van still won't start...can someone tell me what the problem might be.
    edited April 2006
    Your ignition switch should also controls your fuel pump. You may want to take it to an auto electrician.
  • guru2079guru2079 Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 venture van has errors on radio and won't even turn over its a new battery and starter checks out good so if ya have any answers it sure would help
  • bhartmanbhartman Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2011
    2005 Astro Van no power to door locks can't fine which fuse goes to it or where the power comes from. Thanks for any help.
  • jjharris1jjharris1 Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys I have a Venture, all of a sudden my dash, day time running lights, rear vents, and tail lights stopped working. I changed the fuses, I checked the light sockets and changed the bulbs, am I missing something?
  • cappie2cappie2 Member Posts: 3
    I had the same thing happen to mine, plus more. The problem was the electrical panel behind the tail lights. I had both of them replaced and all was normal again. At least for awhile.
    Have a certified auto electrician check it out. My new remote doesn't work with mine due to the body module.
  • poohbear5855poohbear5855 Member Posts: 1
    I need help my power locks started locking and unlocking while driving.Also when it was parked the interior lights kept going on and off.Took out fuse so it would'nt run down battery.If anyone knows what causes this please let me know.Thanks.
  • katietovarkatietovar Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2003 w/ the exact problem. Did you ever find the solution to this???
    We recently bought this van used, it's the wb edition. Didn't seem to be any issues for the first few weeks...our information center background light is out, then our back tail lights went, now our front drl are out. The manual headlights still work...for now. I've seen many similar posts. It's not the bulbs and the fuses look fine...I know nothing about electrical or mechanical issues in general. Can anyone tell me how to fix this in a way that I might understand :( PLEASE!!!
    To anyone having major, common problems with their ventures, please please please report these issues right at the source with Chevy. It's as simple as sending an email to list the issues then call the number they send to you to report vin number, mileage, etc. I was just told by Chevy that though they are aware of the issues, they will not do recalls or really help in anyway solely because these things are not being reported to them and put on file. Once they have enough reports on file they will make recalls and help with repairs. If you are having issues, please take 5 minutes to report it! :sick: :lemon:
  • chrissy715chrissy715 Member Posts: 1
    check the flasher our blinkers werent working n thats what needed to be replaced they control the lights n blinkers. also try replacing the bulbs
  • mamabearof01mamabearof01 Member Posts: 1
    For some time now the light for the fan control for the rear fan hasn't worked. Then sometimes it would. Then The light for the main fan control would go out and the rear one would go on. Lived with it.
    Tonight the light for the shift display (P R D ! 2 3) started flashing on and off. With in minutes I lost all dash lights and the automatic headlights went out. Headlights worked when I turned them on manually. I get home and the chime for when you leave the headlights on is chiming away, even though the headlights are off.
    Checking around the vehicle I find, no running lights, or break lights. None.
    So my vehicle chimes when the drivers door is open, I have no dash lights, seems as though the odometer is not advancing, no running lights, bo break lights.
    HELP!!!!
    We took ours into a nearby auto repair place to get looked at. There's a short somewhere-so it blew out the bulbs and main fuse. They replaced it all for less than $30 and we've had no issues since. The short is still there SOMEWHERE, but it may or may not blow again. I don't know if this helps you, but it fixed our problems with the lights everywhere inside and out and also stopped the annoying, constant dinging everytime the driver side door is opened.
  • lzriderlzrider Member Posts: 1
    After replacing the water pump now my Van will not start, the lights come on and I have already had the battery check it is good has any one else had this problem
  • nbookernbooker Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem as you. The gas guage is either full or empty. Did you ever get an answer to the problem? I was thinking it was the sensor in the gas tank itself.
  • sox10sox10 Member Posts: 9
    did you ever fix the problem?
  • markman01markman01 Member Posts: 4
    edited March 2012
    Lost my interior light the other night, won't work by opening door or activating switch...Checked and replaced fuse..probed fuse, it's getting power.....Had the switch checked by mechanic..Went to start car, no juice...brand new battery and alternator week previous...Then, magically it started within a few minutes...Seems car's computer is going haywire and activated ignition disable...Now every dash light is illuminated...ABS, Seatbelt, Check Engine, Airbag, fuel guage at 0, Temp Guage at 0, Speedometer at 0 while driving, digital odometer not climbing....I drive 110k miles a year and rely on the mileage to keep my logbook for tax purposes...To add more insult, I have no stereo for music, talk radio, CD's...I spend about 18 hours in the vehicle a day and I need my radio!!! The anti-theft light is flashing on the radio as well....All I know is those problems weren't happening when I pulled in, now they are...mechanic is stumped....In addition, when he tried to read error codes by plugging in to the port, the scanner was not getting any info from the car's computer...which I've never seen....Any suggestions??
  • markman01markman01 Member Posts: 4
    Hi...I ran into this with my 04 Venture last summer in the blazing 3-week heat wave we had...I had a blown compressor, but the problem with the fans not kicking in was actually in the control head inside the vehicle...{the A/C switch with the dual knobs}..was able to pick one up at the junk yard for like $40....Dealer wants quite a bit more...they're also kinda hard to find due to the common problem....there's a plug behind that switch that communicates with the computer and tells those fans that it's hot enough for them to come on because you've just asked for it to be cooler inside the van by putting it on Max Air....at least that's my understanding.....bottom line...new compressor wasn't getting the fans to kick on.....new control head coupled with new compressor did the trick.....Hope that helps! /Mark
  • stilbillstilbill Member Posts: 1
    Water leaks into maplights, drl lights no longer work door locks won't work from console button on either side.
  • venture3venture3 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 chev venture and it ran good for two weeks and it stalls and it will start right up again but run rough and all the dash lights flicker and engine has no power.its like someone is playing with the positive wire on the battery- on off.on off,on off ,,,,,,,and wont run for long.
    any ideas???? i cleaned every connectors from battery to starter,
  • blackrhinoblackrhino Member Posts: 3
    lift up your carpet on drivers side and see if there is any water laying on floor. i had a 99 chevy venture that had numerous electrical problems all do to the a/c condensate dripping behind carpets and corroding all of the wiring that runs in front of driver and passenger seats. I went to parts store and bought wire and butt splices and replaced all of the wire that was damaged and never had a problem since. just sold van to friend last year and still no problems
  • tommysan62tommysan62 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Venture that has a couple of electrical issues. The connector that you use to read the engine codes, under the dash will not connect. I've taken the van to a couple of shops and none of them can connect. It seems there is no signal. Where should I look for a blown fuse or bad ground or other issue that would affect this?

My dash panel also acts weird. Most of the time the temp gauge is pointing some odd direction, like straight down or straight up, even if the engine is hot or cold. Other times the other gauges will act up like that too. According to the car, I have cruised through my neighborhood at 140+mph. The gauge panel issues started after I had the dealer work on the engine and replace the crank position sensor. I am wondering if they damaged a lead or connection to the engine computer.