Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Highlander floor console

kkmkrakkmkra Member Posts: 1
I'm trying to find a floor/center storage console that will fit my 2001 highlander which did not come with one. Any suggestions on finding a good looking not over the moon expensive solution?

Comments

• kuehnphkuehnph Member Posts: 2
    This is the one you need. It doesn't look like it's changed at all and it definitely has many advantages over the little they started putting in. It has an inteernal light which is good and you can plug other devices into it. It's under $100. The cup holders also work well. It has to be installed from the rear also just as an FYI.

http://www.trucknvans.com/Plug_N_Go_Powered_Mini_Van_Console_p/571tg.htm
  • oaklandjazzoaklandjazz Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2002 HL which has the center console. It has (front to back)a small ashtray, then a rectangular compartment, then a larger compartment with clamshell cover. I figure the middle compartment is where the cup holders would be, but I think the insert is missing that holds the cups. Is this insert removable and does anyone have the part number. I call parts departments and they say they don't know what I'm talking about?
  • stephedsstepheds Member Posts: 1
    I am missing the same part in my 2002 HL. Did you ever find out the part number? Or find out where to order one? I would so appreciate your help.
    Thank you.
  • oaklandjazzoaklandjazz Member Posts: 2
    No. You are the first person to respond. I just cut a 3" diameter paper tube to the correct height temporarily and the console holds two of them. Still don't know part #.
  • silverltdsilverltd Member Posts: 18
    I know that the dealer has the part # because I had a 2001 Highlander and was really bothered by the tiny 2001 cup holder non-console. When the 2002s came out and I saw the console, I went to the dealer and had them install it in my 2001; they brought it up on their computer and had to order it part by part, down to the screws and nuts. The parts and installation were really expensive, but it was worth it to me.

Rather than calling the dealer, I would just drive over and show them what you want (if they are local). Like I said, I know they have the part # in the database, but they might have to see exactly what part you are missing.

Good luck.
  • jgrunnerjgrunner Member Posts: 2
    I dropped a credit card between the clam shell door on the console box and the console frame itself. Anyone know as easy way to gain access to the inside the console unit? I can't get the box out and tried to get into the back of the unit but to no avail. It is a 2002 Highlander
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You might find some dash diagrams in one of the repair links in the Online Repair Manuals guide.

I have access to the ARRC Auto Repair reference center info online through my public library and it has exploded dash diagrams (searching for heater core info is a good shortcut for finding dash diagrams, and the few I've seen include center consoles). Of course, the '02 database for the Highlander flipped me to RAV4 diagrams.... figures. :P

Maybe someone has a factory manual with a diagram they can scan and post in their CarSpace album?
  • jgrunnerjgrunner Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for your reply and time. Unfortunately I am still out of luck. I actually found a pretty good website with diagrams, but I still couldn't get the unit apart to see inside. I took the car and floor console diagram to Toyota and the tech there looked, tried a few things then suggested that I remove the whole floor console. I find it hard to believe that one of the trays or drawers don't pop out somehow.

Here is where I found good diagrams if you ever have a need
    http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getJointLocator&siteid=2- - 14591&chapter=&Sectionids=0,2648&groupid=2648&subgroupid=2479&componentid=2649&m- - ake=34&model=Highlander&year=2007&graphicID=8436745&callout=4&catalogid=2&displa- - yCatalogid=0
  • sanjosemomsanjosemom Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone "customized" the empty space (with a power outlet) under the front center console of their Highlander? I added a non skid liner so items would not slide around. But would like to know how others use that awkward space.
  • jc17jc17 Member Posts: 1
    I'm in process now of customizing the center console on a 2006 Highlander. Likely will mount a XM radio atop the butt box snaking the power wire through it to the power accessory outlet below in the space under the center console. I want to avoid any hidden wires or other important items if I drill through the bottom of the butt box holder in order to run the power chord back up through to the XM radio. Looking to hide all the wires for a professional job, but is difficult without a diagram of the console design. Highlander has few places to add satellite radio, my Subaru is better in that regard. I want to snake the antenna wire through the console up behind the dash. Also thinking about adding a GPS navigation box to the flip down sunglass holder in ceiling. Again, sure would be good to know where everything is before I start ripping. Just started my search for diagrams, got some, but poor quality. Anyone knowing a good source for this, I'd appreciate hearing from you.
  • gincollingogincollingo Member Posts: 1
    Hi - My wife just did the same thing in our 06 Highlander. I'm trying to figure out how to get the cup holder out to get her card out. It's currently between the bottom of the cup holder and the console frame.

Were you ever able to figure out how to get the cup holder out?
  • rick5310rick5310 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to remove center console in 2007 Toyota Highlander and to find a shorter aftermarket or Toyota part to cover shifter that extends from dash. I have heard that Canadian models had shorter console, but talked to a Toyota dealership today. The guy wasn't too knowledgeable and couldn't confirm. Called Canadian dealership and they were no help.
    Anyone know where I can get a shorter console so you can move to the back seat.