Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suzuki's US Future -- Good or Dismal

Comments

• We found that practically the entire Suzuki lineup is in the doldrums, lost amid tougher competition. Sales are down 42% for the year overall, with vehicles like the compact SX4, Grand Vitara SUV and Equator pickup dying on the vine for lack of resources. But there's reason to hope: The new Kizashi mid-sized sedan has been well-received, and Suzuki plans to launch a new advertising campaign on Christmas. It's working to refresh its lineup, too. After ending its long-term relationship with General Motors, the Japanese carmaker is now in talks with Volkswagen about co-developing new vehicles.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,778
    edited December 2010
    My prediction is that Suzuki will disappear from the U.S. and Mitshibishi may too. Decent cars that most people have never heard of and a practically non existant dealer network.

If you stop 100 people on the street and ask them what a "Kizashi" is I would be very surprised if anyone out of the 100 would know.

Resale on used Suzuki's as about as bad if not worse than on Kias.
  • Which is a shame. I am in the market for a new car and I want to check out the Suzuki SX4. If I can't get to a Suzuki dealer and I am uncomfortable with the lack of "network" I will buy another Toyota. God, our Corolla has almost 200,00 miles on it and I have done so much less to it than I had to do to my last 2 cars, a ford (never ever again), and a Dodge, (who should have been aloud to go under with the crap they are aloud to sell). Really, people work hard for their money, I think that is what separates the Japanese autos from American auto's, Japanese seem to understand that concept of money doesnt grow on trees and some of us value our property.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,693
    edited December 2010
    In your opinion do you think Suzuki automobiles can hang in there for the long haul, like a toyota or honda?

Oh, without question (the ones designed and built by Suzuki, not the rebadged Daewoos which are now mercifully all gone)! But that doesn't change the facts that they have NO dealer network, NO product for the U.S., and NO brand recognition.

They will be gone in a few years, I have no doubt. Then the next one in question will, as isell says, be Mitsubishi. Time was I would have bet on the eventual return to Japan of Mitsubishi as well, but they may yet get their act in gear in time to hang in there in the U.S. They don't have the disadvantages of Suzuki, nothing like it.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Posts: 2,345
    Suzuki has suffered from very poor fuel mileage in vehicles like SUV's during a time when SUV first became all the rage. Grand Vitara's small V6 had abysmal FE. As did it's predecessor. The six's were the thirstiest, and it was at a time that N American's simply HAD to have a V6. (never mind that a similarly sized inline 4 was more than competent. The problem with Suzuki, and Kia and Hyundai (until recently) all those off brands had considerably worse FE than the big 3 Japanese competition.

I remember Chrysler's Tragic Wgn with a 3.3 (even the 3.8!) with AWD and weighing a good thousand pounds more than a Grand Vitara, getting about 30% better FE. And would whump it in a sprint too. Many buyers bought on perception (just like Hyundai's first 2.7 V6 Santa Fe, gosh that thing just gulped gas) that hey, a small Asian SUV will get better mileage than a larger NA build at home. It wasn't until after they started frequenting the pumps that they discovered just how wrong their perception of FE was.
  • carthellcarthell Posts: 124
    edited December 2010
    As recently as the 8th of this month, the local dealershop closest to Baltimore city sent to me a e-mail maintenance remainder. I have a major maintenance interval coming up in the new year, so I save the message. The local shop I go to is good, but never has all the parts to complete a major maintenance interval.

This evening, my brother asked me to take him to a department store near the dealership. I look on in astonishment as I see in big, glowing red letters HYUNDAI and MAZDA splashed prominently across the dealer's face.

I dread the expedition that I would have to assemble if I had to get my car fixed. None of the two other dealers closest to my city are remotely convenient to get to from my work or home. Looks like the car I currently have will be the last Suzuki I'll own. Whether it'll be by my choice or forced by market conditions remains to be seen.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,711
    edited December 2010
    the Kizashi is a really competent midsize car. It took the bumps and settled them in to little "binks" as I drove over them. The car accelerated very well with it's 4 cyl and the automatic tranny performed well overall.

The Kizashi I wanted was a red '10 6-speed inside the showroom of the Henderson, NV, Suzuki dealer. The negotiations went sour-I wouldn't drop my demands for a lower price and got up to walk out. The hardcore financieer quickly chased me outside and his final offer just moved figures from here to there and they wouldn't meet my demands for the deal the way I wanted to do it. I would've scored well, but my point is that the dealer would've sold a Kizashi to me, and they chose to overly hardball me.

I left with my '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS and have continued to enjoy the compact from Mitsu to the hilt. I just like the Suzuki SX-4, I went bonkers when it came out in the winter of '06-'07. I never even test-drove one of them 'cause the 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer was coming out in a few short months and it caught my eye big-time, so I decided to wait for it. But I still like the Suzuki SX-4.

Mitsubishi isn't going to leave, their all-electric i-MiEV is the glue they wish to use alongside the rest of their lineup to the American people. Of course, I love the Lancer lineup and I love the Outlander and it's young brother the Outlander Sport that is just coming out now. They need to massage the Galant and come up with a brand new design for it, very true. I would even dig the Colt if they brought it here. Mitsubishi makes a solid product and they back it up with the 10 year and 100,000 mile Warranty similar to Kia and Hyundai. They're here to stay in NA.

Now, Suzuki is another story. Funny, the Lancer was getting serviced at my Phoenix (actually Avondale, AZ, about 9 miles west of Phoenix) dealer, and I walked over the Suzuki dealer on the same strip of dealers and talked to a salesman there about the new Kizashi. They didn't have the color I wanted nor a stick Kizashi (they only had two Kizashi's on the lot :confuse: )so there was no move to test drive at that time, but I asked the salesman about Suzuki's stance on staying in the States.

"Suzuki doesn't need car sales, man," was his response. They are so diversified with their other manufactured goods, motorcycles and such, and shipping lines that the automotive part is....is...what, an afterthought of some kind? No, the salesman didn't say that but my mind was going about trying to make up a good explanation for the lack of dealer network and advertising support for the NA sales. Ya know what, they don't make a large pick-em-up truck for sale in the U.S., do they? Oh, that's right. Neither do Kia and Hyundai and look at how well they're doing here, eh?

2011 Kia Soul Sport 5-speed

pick ups "Kia and Hyundai and look at how well they're doing here, eh?"

You know I was wondering this this past week. Why in blazes does Hyundai not get a Ford Ranger sized p/u to NA market? Fill voids that have been gone astray over the years. Remember when you could buy a diesel Ranger, Datsun, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Chev S10, VW p/u? I had a the S10 extended cab, with a stick and factory A/C. Wish I had it to this day. Although it had terrible bench seat and wasn't turbo'd. It had an Isuzu engine. I used to get 40 to 52.5 Imp mpg with it. The 52.5 was on a trip to NY with A/C on the whole time.
    If Hyundai offered one here with about a 2.3 litre turbo, extended avail in both 2WD and 4WD and went to a few greater pains to offer such never done before challenges, like 48" between the rear wheel wells, I am absolutely certain it would sell. Heck, given the mpg capability of their 2.4 GDI engine, even try it out with a gas job first.
  • fezofezo Posts: 9,385
    I think this is from when they still were connected to GM - they pulled the local dealer's franchise. If I wanted t o buy a Suzuki I don't have a clue where to look.

Obviously I could look it up but that's not a great way to do business.
    Maybe they should try what they are implementing here more each year. They are selling the cars at existing bike dealerships. (along with the bikes) At least in places where they have enough real estate.

I find it hard to believe that Suzuki said they didn't even need to sell cars.

Nissan also, is into shipping and other heavy equipment, but their vehicle line must contribute huge to big picture.
  • Just read in a "2011" auto mag...consumer digest, motor trend, consume reports???NOT SURE WHICH ONE! Read this morning...Suzuki will only offer the 4 cylinder for the Vitara. They said it was very capable. It prob had something to do with the GM split...
  • Which Suzuki do you own? Has it been good to you??
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,261
    I see Suzuki's position in the USA as untenable.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• That's right, the long-time king of the Biggest Loser category just jumped to the top. How? Strong sales across the board. Equator sales jumped an impressive 113-percent and Grand Vitara followed, up some 21 percent. SX4, meanwhile, kept right on keepin' on with a modest five-percent gain. With the Reno/Forenza and XL7 finally dead long enough to stop screwing with the results, Suzuki posted an impressive 51-percent gain over November 2009. The real story, though, is that the underappreciated Kizashi is starting to make some moves. After puttering along for months at about 500 sales per month, sales jumped up 25 percent month-to-month to 729. Know what else is crazy? Mitsubishi is the runner-up amongst Asian automakers, up 47 percent and leading Hyundai and Kia, both of whom had record months.
  • carthellcarthell Posts: 124
    2003 Aerio SX, 117,000 miles. I've spent somewhere between $3.5-4.5k on emergency repairs and replacements this year, ouch! Earlier last week, the engine simply stopped. It fired up immediately when restarted, and hasn't presented a problem since. If the car does conk out on me, and the repair estimate is pricey, I'm going to donate the car & start over.
  • I think suzuki's most favourite in country and it's future looks bright. Suzuki is the best of the auto world.
  • joeyrabjoeyrab Posts: 65
    I have seen alot of Suzuki auto engines with a great deal of miles on them, and for some reason the owners really hammered them....I'd like to see Suzuki become more of a contender. What I don't understand is how Hyundai has gotten so big after almost going under and Suzuki who has been around longer, couldn't put a team together to "make" them more formidable. Also to note is that I am not convinced Hyundai is all that great, sure they sell alot of cars, but people I know who own them seem to have unecessary problems while the car is fairly new.....ANYWAY, I'd like to see Suzuki do well enough to open up some more dealerships and improve dealer network...If my next car isn't a Toyota, it would be a Suzuki SX4...but to even buy one I'd have to drive like 75 miles....
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Waleska, GeorgiaPosts: 796
    I have been a fan of Suzuki since 2004. I went to Tampa, FL on vacation and when I arrived at the Enterprise rental counter at 10pm on a Friday night, there was only one vehicle left- a 2004 Suzuki Aerio GS 4-door. As I walked toward it, all I could think was how odd looking it was and I couldn't fight that fact that I instantly liked the wonky-looking thing! I drove it for four days and found it very impressive, definitely a cut above any Mitsubishi I'd ever driven!

The engine loved to rev and sounded great doing it, the 4-speed automatic was almost always in the right gear and acceleration was as good as anything else of similar size and quality. Panel gaps were small and even inside and out. The only 'flaw' was the odd instrument panel with digital gauges crammed into an oddly shaped slit. They were interesting for about 10 minutes, then I had flashbacks to learning how to drive in my sister's '85 300ZX with the oh-80's digital dash...

From that point on, I would ask for an Aerio if they had one. When I would ask if they had any available, most of teh rental agents would offer me a Suzuki Reno or Forenza if they didn't have an Aerio. I can't tell you how many times I was told that "all Suzukis are the same car, they have the same engine and are built on the same platform'...and I always had to set the record straight! The 2005 interior update got rid of the digital dash and gave the interior an upscale look. I always thought it was a shame that the Aerio sold in such limited number, despite being far superior to all the American subcompacts as well as the competitors from Mitsubishi and Kia.

I instantly loved the SX4 Sedan when it was rolled out. It had some of the Aerio's quirky personality and looks but was a more sophisticated and modern car. It was also on par with most of the competition with the only drawback being slightly worse fuel economy than most subcompacts.

I fell in LUST with the Kizashi the moment I saw it on the pages of one of the auto mags! I was amazed at how good looking it was from every possible angle...not good looking "for a Suzuki but good looking against most other cars on the road, period. The real shocker was all the reviews from every automotive magazine website, tech websites. newspapers, and any other source of auto reviews...they all lavished the Kizashi with one compliment after another. The well-designed, high-quality interior was one of the numerous focal points, but even after reading all the reviews, I still wasn't expecting the look and feel of it when I went for a test drive. Atlanta has lost several Suzuki dealer and ther the nearest one is 75-80 miles one way from my house. I made the trip to check out the car, but what if Ibought one and needed warranty service? Even worse, what if I bought a new Kizashi and Suzuki pulled out of teh U.S market??? They would technically support the existing vehicles for XX amount of time, but as it currenty stands I couldn't find the Kizashi GTS in Gray or Red with manual transmission, so I never saw or drove the exact car I wanted..

Suzuki has lost a significant number of dealers over the last 18 to 24 months and it couldn't have occured at a worse time! As they were preparing to roll out the most ambitious, impressive vehicle they've ever made, they suddenly had fewer locations to show it off and draw in some customers. Then again, the quality of Suzuki dealership employees has never impressed me so maybe they got rid of some of the worst ones. I read an article a few several months before the seeing the Kizashi and the subject was which company will pull out off the U.S. first-Mitsubishi or Suzuki?

Between the very limited number of dealers and the damage inflicted by selling GM-Daewoo crap-mobiles with the Suzuki badge on them, I'm not so sure Suzuki can ever get back to where it needs to be, much less sell in sufficient volume to justify their existence here. It is amazing to me that a company like Mazda build at least two vehicles that are class-leaders and routinely win comparison tests, yet they sell at a fraction of the reate they should. I'm referring to the EXCEPTIONAL Mazda6 and gorgeous CX-9 crossover! In 2010, the Toyota Camry outsold the Mazda6 by almost 10:1; the Accord sold at a rate of 9:1. In all, only 35k 2010 Mazda6's sold which was barely an iimprovement over last year's 34k+. But the previous model sold 88k units in 2008, its last year. One factor in the drop is that Mazda has almost stopped all fleet sales. I have worried that Suzuki would become desperate or have too much inventory piling up in some port. I was afraid that the temptation to unload a lot of inventory and generate some cash flow would result in a rental fleet full of Kizashis, but I'm glad that hasn't happened....I hope for the best, but fear the worst!
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,273
    edited January 2011
    They may be reliable but people in the US don't think much of the brand overall. Suzuki is just a hair above Isuzu on the brand perception scale.

Consumer Reports' 2011 Car Brand Perception Survey

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

edited January 2011
    Ya, but CR have been on Suzuki's butt ever since they lambasted the Samurai as Not Recommended back in the 80's.

I am simply astounded that Jag beat out Saab. What does CR know anyway??

As for Suzuki, I'm sure that dealer network numbers influence this perception.
    Some, when asked, will say: "Suzuki? They make cars? I thought they only made GSXR's?" (popular sport bikes)
    I would drive a Suzuki SX4 sedan or hatch anyday before I drive another sedan or hatch made by Ford, Chrysler, or GM....no lie. I have been burnt so hard by all three..i only buy Japanese parent cars now. no regrets.
    I hear ya. I've been burned by Ford and GM, and have never bought a new Chryco so i never gave them the chance.
    But no matter what you buy nowadays, there is alternate country content even though most aren't aware of it. There is no such thing as a 'pure' anything, even with parent companies.
    GM has supplied many autos for BMW.
    Domestics are often Japanese or Korean just rebadged and even if they are predominantly domestic content, there will be so much Asian content you would be amazed (electronics, and steel just for starters).
    edited January 2011
    Atlanta has lost several Suzuki dealer and ther the nearest one is 75-80 miles one way from my house. I made the trip to check out the car, but what if Ibought one and needed warranty service?

And there you have it in a nutshell, the reason that Suzuki will be gone from the U.S. by 2020 if not earlier. Even zoomzoom won't buy one, and he is one of the most avid fans of Suzuki I have yet read.

Suzuki makes really great cars, some of the last really great Japanese cars remaining. But their presence in the U.S. is nil (except for sport bikes as mentioned elsewhere) as is their marketing budget and dealer support, and consequently they are doomed to fail here.....

If there had been a dealer anywhere near me, and one that wasn't paired with 14 other brands in which Suzuki was an afterthought, I would have bought an SX4 5-door a couple of years back. That really is a fun car with good looks and good fuel economy for an AWD, and of course it is a real Suzuki (unlike the rebadged GM-Daewoo garbage) so i would have had no doubts about reliability, etc.

But it was at a 6-brand megastore which was mainly devoted to Chrysler and all its offshoots, and the first guy I talked to didn't even know "where we keep the Suzukis". Not to mention it was 45 minutes from my house and every Suzuki they had (all 8 or so, among 3 models at the time) had a $3000 markup on the window. They still had leftover Suzukis from 2 model years before as a result, and they only had 1 SX4 sportback for me to try.

Long story short, no sale. And I'm convinced it will be "no sale" for Suzuki in the U.S. well before 2020, maybe as soon as 2015.

Yah, still though....for example, you know Toyota and Honda pay higher prices for the parts they use in there cars, the tolerances and all that are much better I believe on Japanese made cars....even if it's a rebadged GM...I would drive a Pontiac Vibe. AKA Toyota Matrix.......well, (let my wife drive it, there's something about that car that screams "I come from Vermont or The Village People are about to get out of it"....can't quite figure it out....anyway.....all those rebadged Toyota's and Suzuki did fairly well.
    After culling the herd, Suzuki seeks new dealers

American Suzuki Motor Corp. is recruiting dealers after buyouts and departures slashed its dealership roster last year.

Suzuki is targeting dealers in metropolitan areas across the United States, said Chris White, senior manager of dealer development

........The brand has about 290 dealerships after beginning 2010 with about 350.

About 50 of Suzuki's worst-performing dealers accepted buyout offers between last March and Aug. 1. Suzuki also offered to help poor-performing dealers improve their operations, Suzuki spokesman Jeff Holland said.

Under the buyout program, Suzuki offered owners of poor-performing stores up to $50,000 and pledged to buy back inventory, parts, special tools and signs from dealerships targeted by the program.

"It's about getting the poor-performing dealers out and getting good dealers back in that will help us be successful," White said.

.......Re-entering U.S. metropolitan markets where it lacks a presence also is a priority. Suzuki has its strongest presence in the Pacific Northwest and the Southeast, so the company is looking outside those areas. He declined to name specific markets.

White said Suzuki wants dealers with good reputations for customer satisfaction, strong internal processes and, at least in some cases, vacant facilities caused by the wind-downs of such brands as Hummer, Pontiac and Saturn.

Suzuki sales plummeted 38 percent last year to just 23,994 vehicles, while industry sales rose 11 percent.

The brand sells only four nameplates, and its marketing budget has been limited because of its poor sales.

Suzuki shrinks
    Suzuki's U.S. sales have fallen steadily since the brand's record volume in 2007.
    2007: 101,884
    2008: 84,862
    2009: 38,689
    2010: 23,994
    Source: Automotive News Data Center

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110117/RETAIL07/301179950/1- 422

Geez, everyone is chasing those abandoned Pontiac/Saturn dealerships.

It's good to see Suzuki NA recognizing one of the big parts of their problem here. However, when I see stuff like "marketing budget is limited by poor sales", it still makes me think the brand is doomed. The only Asian companies that make it in the U.S. are the ones in which the home office pumps in a bunch of money because that's the kind of investment that is needed to make it in such a crowded market. Depending on current sales for 100% of future ad money is just a way to spiral right down the drain.

And in Suzuki's case, that is a STEEP spiral. Only 23,000 sales in 2010 for the entire brand, nationwide?? And even that was a steep decline from the year before. As soon as they stopped the fleet sales of the Daewoo-built crapmobiles after 2008, the sales fell right off the map.

I will be interested to see if one of the places they can get their dealer network re-established is here in the Japanese import-crazed SF Bay Area.

To help shed some light on those dwindling sales totals-

In 2007 and 2008, the Forenza and Reno made up the bulk of both years sales. Even though they both sold better than any other Suzuki models, they were Daewoo-built Korean piles of CRAP and they only served to diminish and further tarnish the Suzuki brand!!! Further adding to 2007 annual sales- the Aerio Sedan and SX4 Crossover overlapped one another (and the Forenza/Reno) by more than year!

2007 Sales Breakdown-

Forenza/Reno- 42,113
    XL7- 23,176
    Grand Vitara- 19,538
    SX4/Aerio- 16,740
    Verona- 315 (leftover 2006 models)
    Vitara- 2 (WTF? Vitara was dropped after 2004)
    TOTAL- 101,884

2008 Sales Breakdown-

SX4- 29,483
    XL7- 22,548
    Forenza/Reno- 20,796
    Grand Vitara- 11,936
    Aerio- 80 (leftover 2007 models)
    Equator- 13
    TOTAL- 84,865

2009 Sales Breakdown-

SX4- 20,704
    Grand Vitara- 7,557
    XL7- 4,355
    Forenza/Reno- 3,769
    Equator- 2,221
    Kizashi- 71
    TOTAL- 38,689

2010 Sales Breakdown-
    SX4- 11,606
    Kizashi- 6,138
    Grand Vitara- 4,478
    Equator- 1,447
    XL-7- 313 (remaining 2009 models)
    Forenza/Reno- 12 (remaining 2008 models they had to give away?)
    TOTAL- 23,994
    I don't think it helped Suzuki much that during the entire SUV craze years, their V6 option was a horrendous gas guzzler. But what further cemented their reputation in that way, was they never did anything about it? Even during the time period that the Grand Vitara was (supposedly) gaining a bit more mkt share, they didn't do anything about that super thirsty (little) V6. In fact, it was so inefficient, that..at the time, I recall Chrysler's full size long WB AWD, and one litre larger V6, that was over a 1300 pounds heavier!! delivered better fuel economy! And the AWD Tragic Wagon was no fuel mizer as it was. I think it was rated 29 Imp hwy...so minus 20% for US.

Hyundai also alienated many a customer during the similar time era with their also very thirsty 2.7L V6 in the Santa Fe. Not sure what they did to it, but that same engine is used in the Rondo now and manages not too bad FE numbers...of course it is not an AWD, so maybe the engine just doesn't deliver outside of its torque/weight expectations.

Even going back over 20 years, the little Samurai with the, first an 800 cc, then 1000, then finally the 1300cc were all terribly hard on gas for what they were. A combo of poor gearing, air intake, exhaust, wind resistance, carburation, etc etc all played a part no doubt. If Suzuki was smart, they should have offered a very torquey 2.0L turbo diesel in the Grand and Vitara lineup cuz no one (not even VW) would have had ANYTHING to compete with it for not only power and sport hobby towing ability, but the all important FE, while doing it.

Back in winter of 02/03 before I bought my 03 AWD Matrix, I compared it the SX4. The SX4 was quicker, poorer fuel economy, TERRIBLE audio system, etc etc, and even tho I have owned a number of Suzuki's in the past, the Matrix got the nod. It wasn't even that close..
    Steve,

I missed that link you posted to CR's Brand Perception ratings until just now! I thought you compared them to Isuzu just making a joke, but you were serious! Isuzu is a 2, Suzuki a 5 and Mitsubishi 8...that's honestly as low as you can go!

The other misfits on the WORST Overall Brand Perception are hardly shocking-

Isuzu- 2
    Suzuki- 5
    Mitsubishi- 8
    Land Rover- 9
    Saab- 10
    Jaguar- 13
    Mercury- 14
    Jeep- 16
    Mini- 19
    Volkswagen- 19

BEST Overall Brand Perception

Toyota- 147
    Ford- 144
    Honda- 121
    Chevrolet- 102
    BMW- 93
    Mercedes-Benz- 909
    Volvo- 84
    Lexus- 69
    Cadillac- 66
    Subaru- 50

The only ones that seemed questionable to me were-

Saab- why only 10 when Volvo is rated 84...and what did Volvo do to deserve that???

Jeep- I accept the very low rating, but I don't freakin' like it! I'm ready for this new Grand Cherokee to set a new, well-designed, high-quality direction for the Jeep brand as a whole!

Mini- only 19? Not that I give a rip, but I'm surprised at that one...

On the Best list, the placement of Volvo is surprising, especially since it rated quite a bit better than Lexus!

I wish they published the complete list of all automakers, not just the top 10 Best and Worst....wonder where Acura and Infiniti fall in the ratings? And what about my beloved Mazda? Or Hyundai and Kia???

Very interesting information, regardless. I have a very strong gut feeling that Mitsubishi will pull out of this market before 2011 is over. They have no compelling products, they lack even one single vehicle that can hold up to scrutiny against the top 5 or 10 in its respective size class! The Lancer is the best vehicle they have, but it isn't even competitive with the Suzuki SX4 on most counts! The Suzuki definitely feels much higher quality inside and out and it's a better drive for less money...

Suzuki lacks the ability to market their vehicles in a way that will get results! Then again, if Suzuki commercials wrere on here locally all the time, it would probably tick a lot of people off to learnn that the nearest dealer is about 75 miles away...if there are no dealers to stock the vehicles, how can they possilbly sell? A perfect example, when they had a great small car that was a blast to drive, even if it was 'wonky' looking, but few people ever heard of the Aerio or had a clue how good of a value it was! the

Suzuki needs to HURRY up and bring the SWIFT to the U.S. market and they'll sell 30-40k per year, no problem! Suzuki should do something along the lines of the Mazda "Zoom-Zoom" Live events that Mazda did in numerous cities across the country starting in 2004 and then again in 2005, before cancelling them altogether. =( Suzuki couold do wionders with an event like that- have plenty of KIZASHI models available with a test track to drive them on. The same for the SX4 and Swift models, too!

I am CONVINCED that if every potential mid-size car buyers could test drive the Mazda6 and Suzuki KIZASHI bofofore making a decision, Mazda and Suzuki would both have much higher sales volume! Every time I'vve mentioned the KIZASHI since it debuted, no one has heard the name...not even my closest friiends who keep up on car stuff usually.

They have done an amazing job developing the KIZASHI, I am both amazed (by the outcome) and irritated (because it has taken so long and there is no marketing of this model!
    KIZASHI,

it's still saddled with a CVT. I wonder if it has paddle shift points that can fool you into thinking its a conventional automatic?

It seems they (all of 'em) will do anything for FE. Whatever happened to the driving experience? I'm gonna have to find me something in a 2006 or earlier with a great seat and hope it lasts me till my grave.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,273
    edited January 2011
    The only ones that seemed questionable to me were

There's always some oddities in these lists. Why is the Mercury so low when it's a "rebadged" Ford, and Ford is in the top 10?

Jeeps seem to have a lot of problems and but they keep selling them. There's a lot to like about Jeeps. Enthusiasm about the new Grand Cherokee is way high.

The MINI is curious too. Maybe it's the scarcity of dealers?

Mitsu is revamping ('bout time?). mikevegas06, "Mitsubishi News" #1302, 18 Jan 2011 3:43 am

Maybe Suzuki would do better just to pull back to the coasts and rebuild from there.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.