Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Suzuki's US Future -- Good or Dismal

Comments

• joeyrabjoeyrab Member Posts: 65
    Just read in a "2011" auto mag...consumer digest, motor trend, consume reports???NOT SURE WHICH ONE! Read this morning...Suzuki will only offer the 4 cylinder for the Vitara. They said it was very capable. It prob had something to do with the GM split...
    Which Suzuki do you own? Has it been good to you??
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I see Suzuki's position in the USA as untenable.
    That's right, the long-time king of the Biggest Loser category just jumped to the top. How? Strong sales across the board. Equator sales jumped an impressive 113-percent and Grand Vitara followed, up some 21 percent. SX4, meanwhile, kept right on keepin' on with a modest five-percent gain. With the Reno/Forenza and XL7 finally dead long enough to stop screwing with the results, Suzuki posted an impressive 51-percent gain over November 2009. The real story, though, is that the underappreciated Kizashi is starting to make some moves. After puttering along for months at about 500 sales per month, sales jumped up 25 percent month-to-month to 729. Know what else is crazy? Mitsubishi is the runner-up amongst Asian automakers, up 47 percent and leading Hyundai and Kia, both of whom had record months.
  • carthellcarthell Member Posts: 130
    2003 Aerio SX, 117,000 miles. I've spent somewhere between $3.5-4.5k on emergency repairs and replacements this year, ouch! Earlier last week, the engine simply stopped. It fired up immediately when restarted, and hasn't presented a problem since. If the car does conk out on me, and the repair estimate is pricey, I'm going to donate the car & start over.
  • jackson30jackson30 Member Posts: 4
    I think suzuki's most favourite in country and it's future looks bright. Suzuki is the best of the auto world.
    I have seen alot of Suzuki auto engines with a great deal of miles on them, and for some reason the owners really hammered them....I'd like to see Suzuki become more of a contender. What I don't understand is how Hyundai has gotten so big after almost going under and Suzuki who has been around longer, couldn't put a team together to "make" them more formidable. Also to note is that I am not convinced Hyundai is all that great, sure they sell alot of cars, but people I know who own them seem to have unecessary problems while the car is fairly new.....ANYWAY, I'd like to see Suzuki do well enough to open up some more dealerships and improve dealer network...If my next car isn't a Toyota, it would be a Suzuki SX4...but to even buy one I'd have to drive like 75 miles....
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    I have been a fan of Suzuki since 2004. I went to Tampa, FL on vacation and when I arrived at the Enterprise rental counter at 10pm on a Friday night, there was only one vehicle left- a 2004 Suzuki Aerio GS 4-door. As I walked toward it, all I could think was how odd looking it was and I couldn't fight that fact that I instantly liked the wonky-looking thing! I drove it for four days and found it very impressive, definitely a cut above any Mitsubishi I'd ever driven!

The engine loved to rev and sounded great doing it, the 4-speed automatic was almost always in the right gear and acceleration was as good as anything else of similar size and quality. Panel gaps were small and even inside and out. The only 'flaw' was the odd instrument panel with digital gauges crammed into an oddly shaped slit. They were interesting for about 10 minutes, then I had flashbacks to learning how to drive in my sister's '85 300ZX with the oh-80's digital dash...

From that point on, I would ask for an Aerio if they had one. When I would ask if they had any available, most of teh rental agents would offer me a Suzuki Reno or Forenza if they didn't have an Aerio. I can't tell you how many times I was told that "all Suzukis are the same car, they have the same engine and are built on the same platform'...and I always had to set the record straight! The 2005 interior update got rid of the digital dash and gave the interior an upscale look. I always thought it was a shame that the Aerio sold in such limited number, despite being far superior to all the American subcompacts as well as the competitors from Mitsubishi and Kia.

I instantly loved the SX4 Sedan when it was rolled out. It had some of the Aerio's quirky personality and looks but was a more sophisticated and modern car. It was also on par with most of the competition with the only drawback being slightly worse fuel economy than most subcompacts.

I fell in LUST with the Kizashi the moment I saw it on the pages of one of the auto mags! I was amazed at how good looking it was from every possible angle...not good looking "for a Suzuki but good looking against most other cars on the road, period. The real shocker was all the reviews from every automotive magazine website, tech websites. newspapers, and any other source of auto reviews...they all lavished the Kizashi with one compliment after another. The well-designed, high-quality interior was one of the numerous focal points, but even after reading all the reviews, I still wasn't expecting the look and feel of it when I went for a test drive. Atlanta has lost several Suzuki dealer and ther the nearest one is 75-80 miles one way from my house. I made the trip to check out the car, but what if Ibought one and needed warranty service? Even worse, what if I bought a new Kizashi and Suzuki pulled out of teh U.S market??? They would technically support the existing vehicles for XX amount of time, but as it currenty stands I couldn't find the Kizashi GTS in Gray or Red with manual transmission, so I never saw or drove the exact car I wanted..

Suzuki has lost a significant number of dealers over the last 18 to 24 months and it couldn't have occured at a worse time! As they were preparing to roll out the most ambitious, impressive vehicle they've ever made, they suddenly had fewer locations to show it off and draw in some customers. Then again, the quality of Suzuki dealership employees has never impressed me so maybe they got rid of some of the worst ones. I read an article a few several months before the seeing the Kizashi and the subject was which company will pull out off the U.S. first-Mitsubishi or Suzuki?

Between the very limited number of dealers and the damage inflicted by selling GM-Daewoo crap-mobiles with the Suzuki badge on them, I'm not so sure Suzuki can ever get back to where it needs to be, much less sell in sufficient volume to justify their existence here. It is amazing to me that a company like Mazda build at least two vehicles that are class-leaders and routinely win comparison tests, yet they sell at a fraction of the reate they should. I'm referring to the EXCEPTIONAL Mazda6 and gorgeous CX-9 crossover! In 2010, the Toyota Camry outsold the Mazda6 by almost 10:1; the Accord sold at a rate of 9:1. In all, only 35k 2010 Mazda6's sold which was barely an iimprovement over last year's 34k+. But the previous model sold 88k units in 2008, its last year. One factor in the drop is that Mazda has almost stopped all fleet sales. I have worried that Suzuki would become desperate or have too much inventory piling up in some port. I was afraid that the temptation to unload a lot of inventory and generate some cash flow would result in a rental fleet full of Kizashis, but I'm glad that hasn't happened....I hope for the best, but fear the worst!
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited January 2011
    They may be reliable but people in the US don't think much of the brand overall. Suzuki is just a hair above Isuzu on the brand perception scale.

Consumer Reports' 2011 Car Brand Perception Survey
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    edited January 2011
    Ya, but CR have been on Suzuki's butt ever since they lambasted the Samurai as Not Recommended back in the 80's.

I am simply astounded that Jag beat out Saab. What does CR know anyway??

As for Suzuki, I'm sure that dealer network numbers influence this perception.
    Some, when asked, will say: "Suzuki? They make cars? I thought they only made GSXR's?" (popular sport bikes)
    I would drive a Suzuki SX4 sedan or hatch anyday before I drive another sedan or hatch made by Ford, Chrysler, or GM....no lie. I have been burnt so hard by all three..i only buy Japanese parent cars now. no regrets.
    I hear ya. I've been burned by Ford and GM, and have never bought a new Chryco so i never gave them the chance.
    But no matter what you buy nowadays, there is alternate country content even though most aren't aware of it. There is no such thing as a 'pure' anything, even with parent companies.
    GM has supplied many autos for BMW.
    Domestics are often Japanese or Korean just rebadged and even if they are predominantly domestic content, there will be so much Asian content you would be amazed (electronics, and steel just for starters).
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    edited January 2011
    Atlanta has lost several Suzuki dealer and ther the nearest one is 75-80 miles one way from my house. I made the trip to check out the car, but what if Ibought one and needed warranty service?

And there you have it in a nutshell, the reason that Suzuki will be gone from the U.S. by 2020 if not earlier. Even zoomzoom won't buy one, and he is one of the most avid fans of Suzuki I have yet read.

Suzuki makes really great cars, some of the last really great Japanese cars remaining. But their presence in the U.S. is nil (except for sport bikes as mentioned elsewhere) as is their marketing budget and dealer support, and consequently they are doomed to fail here.....

If there had been a dealer anywhere near me, and one that wasn't paired with 14 other brands in which Suzuki was an afterthought, I would have bought an SX4 5-door a couple of years back. That really is a fun car with good looks and good fuel economy for an AWD, and of course it is a real Suzuki (unlike the rebadged GM-Daewoo garbage) so i would have had no doubts about reliability, etc.

But it was at a 6-brand megastore which was mainly devoted to Chrysler and all its offshoots, and the first guy I talked to didn't even know "where we keep the Suzukis". Not to mention it was 45 minutes from my house and every Suzuki they had (all 8 or so, among 3 models at the time) had a $3000 markup on the window. They still had leftover Suzukis from 2 model years before as a result, and they only had 1 SX4 sportback for me to try.

Long story short, no sale. And I'm convinced it will be "no sale" for Suzuki in the U.S. well before 2020, maybe as soon as 2015.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Yah, still though....for example, you know Toyota and Honda pay higher prices for the parts they use in there cars, the tolerances and all that are much better I believe on Japanese made cars....even if it's a rebadged GM...I would drive a Pontiac Vibe. AKA Toyota Matrix.......well, (let my wife drive it, there's something about that car that screams "I come from Vermont or The Village People are about to get out of it"....can't quite figure it out....anyway.....all those rebadged Toyota's and Suzuki did fairly well.
    After culling the herd, Suzuki seeks new dealers

American Suzuki Motor Corp. is recruiting dealers after buyouts and departures slashed its dealership roster last year.

Suzuki is targeting dealers in metropolitan areas across the United States, said Chris White, senior manager of dealer development

........The brand has about 290 dealerships after beginning 2010 with about 350.

About 50 of Suzuki's worst-performing dealers accepted buyout offers between last March and Aug. 1. Suzuki also offered to help poor-performing dealers improve their operations, Suzuki spokesman Jeff Holland said.

Under the buyout program, Suzuki offered owners of poor-performing stores up to $50,000 and pledged to buy back inventory, parts, special tools and signs from dealerships targeted by the program.

"It's about getting the poor-performing dealers out and getting good dealers back in that will help us be successful," White said.

.......Re-entering U.S. metropolitan markets where it lacks a presence also is a priority. Suzuki has its strongest presence in the Pacific Northwest and the Southeast, so the company is looking outside those areas. He declined to name specific markets.

White said Suzuki wants dealers with good reputations for customer satisfaction, strong internal processes and, at least in some cases, vacant facilities caused by the wind-downs of such brands as Hummer, Pontiac and Saturn.

Suzuki sales plummeted 38 percent last year to just 23,994 vehicles, while industry sales rose 11 percent.

The brand sells only four nameplates, and its marketing budget has been limited because of its poor sales.

Suzuki shrinks
    Suzuki's U.S. sales have fallen steadily since the brand's record volume in 2007.
    2007: 101,884
    2008: 84,862
    2009: 38,689
    2010: 23,994
    Source: Automotive News Data Center

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110117/RETAIL07/301179950/1- 422

Geez, everyone is chasing those abandoned Pontiac/Saturn dealerships.

It's good to see Suzuki NA recognizing one of the big parts of their problem here. However, when I see stuff like "marketing budget is limited by poor sales", it still makes me think the brand is doomed. The only Asian companies that make it in the U.S. are the ones in which the home office pumps in a bunch of money because that's the kind of investment that is needed to make it in such a crowded market. Depending on current sales for 100% of future ad money is just a way to spiral right down the drain.

And in Suzuki's case, that is a STEEP spiral. Only 23,000 sales in 2010 for the entire brand, nationwide?? And even that was a steep decline from the year before. As soon as they stopped the fleet sales of the Daewoo-built crapmobiles after 2008, the sales fell right off the map.

I will be interested to see if one of the places they can get their dealer network re-established is here in the Japanese import-crazed SF Bay Area.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

To help shed some light on those dwindling sales totals-

In 2007 and 2008, the Forenza and Reno made up the bulk of both years sales. Even though they both sold better than any other Suzuki models, they were Daewoo-built Korean piles of CRAP and they only served to diminish and further tarnish the Suzuki brand!!! Further adding to 2007 annual sales- the Aerio Sedan and SX4 Crossover overlapped one another (and the Forenza/Reno) by more than year!

2007 Sales Breakdown-

Forenza/Reno- 42,113
    XL7- 23,176
    Grand Vitara- 19,538
    SX4/Aerio- 16,740
    Verona- 315 (leftover 2006 models)
    Vitara- 2 (WTF? Vitara was dropped after 2004)
    TOTAL- 101,884

2008 Sales Breakdown-

SX4- 29,483
    XL7- 22,548
    Forenza/Reno- 20,796
    Grand Vitara- 11,936
    Aerio- 80 (leftover 2007 models)
    Equator- 13
    TOTAL- 84,865

2009 Sales Breakdown-

SX4- 20,704
    Grand Vitara- 7,557
    XL7- 4,355
    Forenza/Reno- 3,769
    Equator- 2,221
    Kizashi- 71
    TOTAL- 38,689

2010 Sales Breakdown-
    SX4- 11,606
    Kizashi- 6,138
    Grand Vitara- 4,478
    Equator- 1,447
    XL-7- 313 (remaining 2009 models)
    Forenza/Reno- 12 (remaining 2008 models they had to give away?)
    TOTAL- 23,994
    I don't think it helped Suzuki much that during the entire SUV craze years, their V6 option was a horrendous gas guzzler. But what further cemented their reputation in that way, was they never did anything about it? Even during the time period that the Grand Vitara was (supposedly) gaining a bit more mkt share, they didn't do anything about that super thirsty (little) V6. In fact, it was so inefficient, that..at the time, I recall Chrysler's full size long WB AWD, and one litre larger V6, that was over a 1300 pounds heavier!! delivered better fuel economy! And the AWD Tragic Wagon was no fuel mizer as it was. I think it was rated 29 Imp hwy...so minus 20% for US.

Hyundai also alienated many a customer during the similar time era with their also very thirsty 2.7L V6 in the Santa Fe. Not sure what they did to it, but that same engine is used in the Rondo now and manages not too bad FE numbers...of course it is not an AWD, so maybe the engine just doesn't deliver outside of its torque/weight expectations.

Even going back over 20 years, the little Samurai with the, first an 800 cc, then 1000, then finally the 1300cc were all terribly hard on gas for what they were. A combo of poor gearing, air intake, exhaust, wind resistance, carburation, etc etc all played a part no doubt. If Suzuki was smart, they should have offered a very torquey 2.0L turbo diesel in the Grand and Vitara lineup cuz no one (not even VW) would have had ANYTHING to compete with it for not only power and sport hobby towing ability, but the all important FE, while doing it.

Back in winter of 02/03 before I bought my 03 AWD Matrix, I compared it the SX4. The SX4 was quicker, poorer fuel economy, TERRIBLE audio system, etc etc, and even tho I have owned a number of Suzuki's in the past, the Matrix got the nod. It wasn't even that close..
    Steve,

I missed that link you posted to CR's Brand Perception ratings until just now! I thought you compared them to Isuzu just making a joke, but you were serious! Isuzu is a 2, Suzuki a 5 and Mitsubishi 8...that's honestly as low as you can go!

The other misfits on the WORST Overall Brand Perception are hardly shocking-

Isuzu- 2
    Suzuki- 5
    Mitsubishi- 8
    Land Rover- 9
    Saab- 10
    Jaguar- 13
    Mercury- 14
    Jeep- 16
    Mini- 19
    Volkswagen- 19

BEST Overall Brand Perception

Toyota- 147
    Ford- 144
    Honda- 121
    Chevrolet- 102
    BMW- 93
    Mercedes-Benz- 909
    Volvo- 84
    Lexus- 69
    Cadillac- 66
    Subaru- 50

The only ones that seemed questionable to me were-

Saab- why only 10 when Volvo is rated 84...and what did Volvo do to deserve that???

Jeep- I accept the very low rating, but I don't freakin' like it! I'm ready for this new Grand Cherokee to set a new, well-designed, high-quality direction for the Jeep brand as a whole!

Mini- only 19? Not that I give a rip, but I'm surprised at that one...

On the Best list, the placement of Volvo is surprising, especially since it rated quite a bit better than Lexus!

I wish they published the complete list of all automakers, not just the top 10 Best and Worst....wonder where Acura and Infiniti fall in the ratings? And what about my beloved Mazda? Or Hyundai and Kia???

Very interesting information, regardless. I have a very strong gut feeling that Mitsubishi will pull out of this market before 2011 is over. They have no compelling products, they lack even one single vehicle that can hold up to scrutiny against the top 5 or 10 in its respective size class! The Lancer is the best vehicle they have, but it isn't even competitive with the Suzuki SX4 on most counts! The Suzuki definitely feels much higher quality inside and out and it's a better drive for less money...

Suzuki lacks the ability to market their vehicles in a way that will get results! Then again, if Suzuki commercials wrere on here locally all the time, it would probably tick a lot of people off to learnn that the nearest dealer is about 75 miles away...if there are no dealers to stock the vehicles, how can they possilbly sell? A perfect example, when they had a great small car that was a blast to drive, even if it was 'wonky' looking, but few people ever heard of the Aerio or had a clue how good of a value it was! the

Suzuki needs to HURRY up and bring the SWIFT to the U.S. market and they'll sell 30-40k per year, no problem! Suzuki should do something along the lines of the Mazda "Zoom-Zoom" Live events that Mazda did in numerous cities across the country starting in 2004 and then again in 2005, before cancelling them altogether. =( Suzuki couold do wionders with an event like that- have plenty of KIZASHI models available with a test track to drive them on. The same for the SX4 and Swift models, too!

I am CONVINCED that if every potential mid-size car buyers could test drive the Mazda6 and Suzuki KIZASHI bofofore making a decision, Mazda and Suzuki would both have much higher sales volume! Every time I'vve mentioned the KIZASHI since it debuted, no one has heard the name...not even my closest friiends who keep up on car stuff usually.

They have done an amazing job developing the KIZASHI, I am both amazed (by the outcome) and irritated (because it has taken so long and there is no marketing of this model!
    KIZASHI,

it's still saddled with a CVT. I wonder if it has paddle shift points that can fool you into thinking its a conventional automatic?

It seems they (all of 'em) will do anything for FE. Whatever happened to the driving experience? I'm gonna have to find me something in a 2006 or earlier with a great seat and hope it lasts me till my grave.
    edited January 2011
    The only ones that seemed questionable to me were

There's always some oddities in these lists. Why is the Mercury so low when it's a "rebadged" Ford, and Ford is in the top 10?

Jeeps seem to have a lot of problems and but they keep selling them. There's a lot to like about Jeeps. Enthusiasm about the new Grand Cherokee is way high.

The MINI is curious too. Maybe it's the scarcity of dealers?

Mitsu is revamping ('bout time?). mikevegas06, "Mitsubishi News" #1302, 18 Jan 2011 3:43 am

Maybe Suzuki would do better just to pull back to the coasts and rebuild from there.
    "Suzuki Motors closed all of its plants in Japan until Thursday, March 17, after which the company said it will assess the situation. The closures affect the Takatsuka plant, which assembles motorcycle engines; the Kosai passenger car assembly plant; the Iwata multi-purpose vehicle and commercial vehicle assembly plant; the Toyokawa motorcycle and outboard motor assembly plant; the Sagara passenger car and engine assembly plant and the Osuka plant foundry, the company said."

Quake Aftermath Severe, Deep Auto Sector Impact (AutoObserver)
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,072
    I saw an abandoned Suzuki dealer somewhere in Georgia...kind of eerie, you could see the outline of the S on the building, but it was a ghost town
    edited March 2011
    Suzuki's deep dive

•The credit crunch of 2008 blew up the subprime market, the heart of Suzuki's business.
    •Poor vehicle quality squelched return business and created toxic word of mouth.
    •Dubious practices by some stores, such as "no payments for life" promotions, akin to real estate balloon mortgages, led to lawsuits and bad publicity. And the go-go marketing philosophy of stair-step incentives was hamstrung by a no-go auto market. A suit by a former high-volume dealer alleges that Suzuki pressured him to file phony sales reports to keep the bonus merry-go-round turning.
    •In a rush to add dealers, Suzuki added some used-car sellers who wanted the cachet of a new-car franchise to boost used-car sales but didn't work to build the Suzuki brand.
    •Suzuki's U.S. sales plunged to fewer than 24,000 units in 2010 -- a drop of more than three-quarters from 2007, when the brand sold 101,884 units here.
    •By the start of this year, Suzuki had 278 U.S. franchises -- down from 537 in 2007. Of Suzuki's 50 highest-volume stores in 2007, at least 35 are no longer in business. The fallout of high-volume stores is most telling. Most of Suzuki's growth had been fueled by a small group of dealers who owned most of the high-volume stores. Reliance on subprime financing and stair-step factory incentives ultimately forced nearly all of the brand's biggest dealerships to close.

"What you're seeing is a brand that couldn't get market momentum, tried to get it and did everything that everybody else did -- but did it at the wrong time," Johnson says.

Ties to GM

Suzuki's expertise as a manufacturer of well-built small cars had made it a powerhouse in Japan and emerging markets, including India. But it lacked the larger cars preferred by U.S. customers.

That made Suzuki's 30-year ties to General Motors central to increasing U.S. sales.

In 2002, GM, Suzuki and Chinese automaker SAIC bought the assets of Korean automaker Daewoo out of bankruptcy. That seemed to give Suzuki what it needed for the United States: a source of larger cars.

Suzuki launched the Forenza compact and Verona mid-sized car in 2003, followed by the Reno wagon in 2004. The cars immediately boosted Suzuki's volume. They accounted for about half of Suzuki's sales in 2004, 60 percent in 2005 and 2006 and 42 percent in 2007, according to the Automotive News Data Center.

But the quality and reliability of the cars were subpar.

Suzuki's 2004 models were ranked as the second-worst in the J.D. Power and Associates 2007 Vehicle Dependability Study. Suzuki vehicles had 324 problems per 100 vehicles compared with the industry average of 216 problems.

Akin acknowledges the "problematic" quality of the GM Daewoo-sourced Forenza, Reno and Verona. He adds that during his tenure Suzuki had all but phased out the vehicles.

Jerry Goldstein, president of Five Star Suzuki in Altoona, Pa., and a former chairman of Suzuki's dealer council, says the GM Daewoo-sourced Suzukis generated an "unbelievable" number of warranty claims. Some came back with engine or transmission failures within a year.

(From one former dealer): "If you could imagine the worst-managed company in the world, it would have had to have been Suzuki."

"They OK'd the rebadging of inferior Korea-built products. They knew they were junk from day one. They were so set on getting to 200,000 units that people signed off on it."

Koichi Suzuki denies that the brand promoted a subprime-focused business model. But dealers couldn't resist the prospect of big paydays from hitting stair-step targets.

"More profits, more business ... it's tough to stay away from that," Koichi Suzuki says.

Suzuki is at a turning point in the United States, by far the automaker's smallest major market.

Its North American unit has posted operating losses for three straight years, and Suzuki Motor Corp. executives in Japan sound far from bullish.

In a Feb. 7 conference call, Takao Hirosawa, senior operating officer of Suzuki Motor Corp., said: "Regarding the timing of return to the black in North America, we are making efforts to erase the minus, and in that sense, our vehicle business is getting considerably better.

"The minus is disappearing. But we are not setting a clear target timing of when we will return to the black."

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110321/RETAIL07/303219964/1- - 117

Read the whole thing - it's even worse than those excerpts point out. It affirms what everyone has been saying, including me: what brought down the reliability ratings to put Suzuki in the CR cellar a few years back was the garbage coming out of GM/Daewoo with a Suzuki badge on it. That was the stupidest decision ever made by an auto exec anywhere, and there really should be a price to pay for it beyond the dumping of those executives.

2 years left, maybe 3, for Suzuki in North America?

• carthellcarthell Member Posts: 130
    AAAAGGGHHHHH!

Way to go, Suzuki! I couldn't - wouldn't - have found such an efficient way to severely cripple your north American operations if I were in charge of the company!! Thanks a lot!!!

In other news closer to the home front, my favorite independent fix-em-up store had the resources to perform a 120k-mile service interval without a delay. It probably was helped by all the cash I spent last year to fix sudden breakdowns and replacements.

I managed to avoid going to a separate metropolitan area to get the car fixed...this time.
    Here's where I scratch my head a little......
    How could the public forgive the attrocities Kia put out 10-12 years ago like the Sephia for example, and not let Suzuki get a better foot hold. Suzuki should be where Kia is today. From what I understand, Kia was going to be "bought out" or (helped out) by the Korean government but they renegged? So Hyundai bought them...now Kia is selling more cars than friggen Honda. Why can't someone do this with Suzuki, AND I don't mean der commisar Volkswagon. That relationship isn't doing anything for Suzuki right now. If Volkswagon maybe turned their dealerships into Suzuki/VW dealerships, Suzuki could generate more business, that's a gaurentee.....I mean as far as Suzuki autos go, they are pretty solid. The motors are tough, use timing chains, have everything compartmentalized well....they actually take a beating..I'd say they are tighter than Kia's 4 cylinders.....so what the hell gives?
    HyunKia spends a HECK of a lot more money on marketing in the States, that's all the difference is.

But it doesn't help that Suzuki offers very few models and has had a lot of model turnover in the last few years. With no model living enough to get a good rep, no-one knows what a Suzuki is.

And there is no way you are ever going to see VW dealers paired with Suzuki, except maybe at corporate dealers with a half dozen brands or more. All the smaller VW dealers very much value the European "air" their dealerships and product have....

edited May 2011
    I bet at least half the people that walk into a VW/Suzuki Dealership for a Golf or Jetta, leave with an SX4 or Kazashi for one reason or another. Looks, price, features......
    Suzuki has several major issues holding them back-

1) Limited dealer network- there are simply too few Suzuki dealers to sell their vehicles in significant numbers.

2) Most of the dealerships that do exist are decidedly 'low rent' in appearance and operation (I know of several that are trailers in the middle of small gravel lots, very classy)! Inventory is always very thin, making specific trim levels and/or colors difficult to locate. Then there's the green and/or idiotic sales staff with NO product knowledge or customer service skills. As a whole, we'll call this an "IMAGE" problem!

3) Lack of marketing efforts (presumably due to lack of marketing budget).

Suzuki is unknown, invisible to the vast majority of car buyers. Among buyers who realize that they exist, they are seen as "low-rent", not unlike the image KIA had less than a decade ago! The Forenza/Reno (re-badged Daewoo models) served to perpetuate the poor brand image.

Normally, I wouldn't care about a company in this kind of situation (Mitsubishi, for example, can die tomorrow and I won't give it a moment of thought). But the tragedy is that Suzuki has two DAMN GOOD models that deserve serious consideration- the SX4 is very good and KIZASHI is even better! The Kizashi reminds me a lot of the Mazda6, one of the best cars in its class, but one Mazda6 is sold for every 13 Camrys and 12 Accords?!?!

When Saturn shut down and their dealers closed, I was hoping that Mazda (and Suzuki) would take advantage of the situation! Hundreds of cleanly designed, well-maintained buildings in good locations just waiting for to be snatched up at dirt cheap prices! Missed opportunity, BIG TIME!
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    edited May 2011
    Normally, I wouldn't care about a company in this kind of situation (Mitsubishi, for example, can die tomorrow and I won't give it a moment of thought). But the tragedy is that Suzuki has two DAMN GOOD models that deserve serious consideration- the SX4 is very good and KIZASHI is even better! The Kizashi reminds me a lot of the Mazda6, one of the best cars in its class, but one Mazda6 is sold for every 13 Camrys and 12 Accords?!?!

I own a 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS and I absolutely love the car. I would buy another Mitsubishi for my next rig. I also like Kia, I've owned two of them, a 1999 Kia Sephia (very good rig) and a 2001 Kia Sportage 4X4 (very good SUV). I would buy another Kia and I am getting really hot and bothered by the 2012 Kia Rio hatchback. That's just my point...people in the U.S. are so enamored by ugly huge pick-em-up trucks that they don't have a clue about passenger rigs in this nation.

Not a clue...I test drove a 2010 Suzuki Kizashi and it was a great rig. I went in to negotiations to buy it and the dealership wouldn't haggle a wiggle. I punted and walked away with my beautiful 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS. But the '10 Kizashi I wanted to trade for would've been a great car, too, midsize but a "small" midsize, 6-speed manual tranny and a great handling car as well.

I took one for a spin at that Henderson, NV, Suzuki dealer, only 8 miles from the Las Vegas strip. Great car, it took the bumps on the road and squish-snipped them down into submission. Good steering feel...I may buy a Suzuki Kizashi Sport with a 6-speed shifter one day. There's more than just a good chance that I will. Loved the car.

That's what I'm talking about, feel the feeling, test-drive away and enjoy how good cars are these days! We are truly living in the best car manufacturing days of all time. And the Suzuki Kizashi is not just a great car it's also a great value.

Man, since I've moved to the northern Idaho panhandle, Kellogg to be exact, home of Dave Smith Motors, the world's largest Chrysler dealer and the Pacific NW's largest GM dealer, I've lost track of where the nearest Suzuki dealer even is ta me. Now that you've grabbed my attention I'll Google it, probably in Spokane. Spokane, WA, is only 60 miles west of us here in Kellogg, ID.

Thanks for reinvigorating my love for the Suzuki Kizashi. I am reigniting plans to get one but it won't be for 2 more years. Our '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS only has 70,923 miles on it. Twouldn't be the right time to buy a new rig-if only because we don't need a new rig and I love our Lancer GTS. Leno garage? Should be, dudes.

It is time for a 6,000 mile oil change next weekend, too. Oh, you haven't heard? Ya don't need to change yer earl every 3,000 miles any more. Edmunds.com said every 6,000 miles is fine and I happen to believe them to a tee. Rock on.

2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport...it is really that good...don't believe me?
    Take one for a test drive...don't be a wimp

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

I may buy a Suzuki Kizashi Sport with a 6-speed shifter one day

No you won't, because....

I am reigniting plans to get one but it won't be for 2 more years

They won't be around any more in the 2-3 years it is going to take you to get to buying one. As others have said, Suzuki makes darn fine cars when it isn't busy selling its soul for market share by selling POC rebadged Daewoos, and it will be a shame to see them go.

• essy768essy768 Member Posts: 1
    Can somebody tell me what they think will happen to people who have a lease on a Suzuki Kizashi should Suzuki exit the US market? Would their warranties be honored by another company? I am considering a Kizashi lease since the pricing is very attractive? Also, does anyone know if leases are done through a finance arm of Suzuki?
    edited May 2011
    this issue won't be an issue 'cause Suzuki isn't going to leave the U.S. marketplace. Neither is Mitsubishi. So ask at a Suzuki dealership that very same question or Google the question and look up websites that could help you online. You could go to SuzukiUSA's website and look for a contact telephone number or contact e-mail address.

But I seriously doubt Mitsubishi or Suzuki will be leaving the U.S. marketplace. Seriously forget that.

LOL! iluv, let Suzuki go! They aren't going to make it in the States! :-P

edited May 2011
    makes you so sure. I have insider information that says they will, and it is the following.

Suzuki does just fine without income from sales in the NA marketplace. Because they are making the bulk of their money from the Asian countries. They have their other endevours, including motorcycle manufacturing and making small cars for the people of India.

Look for them ta stay in the U.S. marketplace for a long, long time.

Funny, I was wondering about this myself, that is good to hear....I'd like the SX4 to be in my next choices for a new car....hek, I haven't bought a new car in a long time and the SX4 has been on my list for years now. It deserves a shot for at least a look and test drive..
    "Can somebody tell me what they think will happen to people who have a lease on a Suzuki Kizashi should Suzuki exit the US market? Would their warranties be honored by another company? I am considering a Kizashi lease since the pricing is very attractive? Also, does anyone know if leases are done through a finance arm of Suzuki?"

In the past, when other makes have pulled out of the U.S. market (Peugeot, Daihatsu, Alfa Romeo), they have made provisions for warranty repairs, service and parts of existing vehicles. Typically, they would leave a specific number of dealers operating as service/parts-only outlets. In the case of Suzuki, it might fall to VW dealerships.

Lease specials are offered by American Suzuki Financial Services Company, so they do provide lease offers for the dealers.
    This 2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport is though

I still don't think Suzuki is going to bail on the US market....althought the name "Kazashi" is cool, is may be too "Asian" for some American tastes....not me though....I think the car is great...
  • slhtulsa1slhtulsa1 Member Posts: 1
    "It is time for a 6,000 mile oil change next weekend, too. Oh, you haven't heard? Ya don't need to change yer earl every 3,000 miles any more. Edmunds.com said every 6,000 miles is fine and I happen to believe them to a tee. Rock on. "

I would go with what your manufactuer says before edmunds. Edmunds doesn't provide the warranty for your car.
    edited June 2011
    Take a look at the Edmunds Car Maintenance Guide and the maintenance guide in your owner's manual. Be real surprised if they are any different.

And the normal service oil change interval for an '08 Lancer GTS is 7,500 miles. :-) You want to double-check that for me Iluv? (irritating that Mitsubishi doesn't put free owner's manuals online to download like almost every other manufacturer does. Well, Suzuki doesn't either. :sick: ).
    And the normal service oil change interval for an '08 Lancer GTS is 7,500 miles. You want to double-check that for me Iluv? (irritating that Mitsubishi doesn't put free owner's manuals online to download like almost every other manufacturer does. Well, Suzuki doesn't either. ).

And I love Mitsubishi and I wouldn't say I love Suzuki but I do like them. Oh well, they do give us manuals when we buy cars from them. ;)

edited June 2011
    I like to read 'em before I buy them. You can find interesting tidbits in them. Like, while it's not a deal killer, those short 5,000 mile oil change intervals (like on Toyotas) give me pause. Honda is up to 10,000 miles (where most everyone else should be).
    edited June 2011
    Honda is up to 10,000 miles (where most everyone else should be).

Bingo. Right now it's been about 6,400 miles since last earl change and I'm gonna wait this one out until around 7,500 miles this time, like Mitsubishi warrants doing it to keep our 10 year and 100,000 mile Warranty's alive and well and kicking.

I'm not kidding. Well, maybe just a little. I'm...not. :blush:

"A troubled partnership of Volkswagen AG and Suzuki Motor Corp. appeared on the verge of collapse after the German company said its Japanese partner violated their agreement by agreeing to buy diesel engines from another car maker."

VW-Suzuki Partnership Nears Collapse (WSJ)

I don't even remember their being a partnership.
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Me neither.

Dismal.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    edited September 2011
    were going to collaborate on small cars and/or all-electrics. I did read of this partnership (it hasn't been for very long, AFAIK) but always questioned it. I questioned it because they're very peculiar bedfellows, one a smaller Japanese automaker much more known for their motorcycles and marine products, and the other a large German automaker, one that is fairly financially secure and actually shooting for #1 in the world automaker by the year 2018. It just always seemed to me to be an odd-man out relationship for Suzuki and one that they would be taken advantage of in.

I am glad to see this one dissolve, the automaker I actually admire the most out of these two is definitely Suzuki, mostly because of their midsize Kizashi sedan. Unless VW builds the 2014 Bulli minibus revival story I don't see anything on their current or future production lines that I am even remotely interested in. The Suzuki Kizashi, OTOH, I have actually test-driven and went in to negotiations to buy one. Those negotiations went sour and, looking back, I'm glad they did. But the Kizashi remains a midsize favorite of mine and one that one day I may look in to once again for purchase, I like the car so much.

I read some time ago, vokswagon wanted to have Suzuki build small cars for them on certain overseas markets...........anyway, I am not a VW fan, and nothing has come from the merger thus far that I have seen, so maybe a split will happen between the two. I like Suzuki automobiles. I like thier engines, and think the SX4 is a neat looking car. I wish Suzuki would pump the money into advertising and really getting their name ot there. If those people at Kia can do it, Suzuki can do it as well.
    Suzuki is not sinking financially, as the word sort of loosely flows from Edmunds' readers lips, and fingers. They alone are the Japanese kei-car-Kings. And they do build a mean small car. Kia has Peter Schreyer from Audi as their design King, and so they will because of that relationship continue to sell more and more cars and SUV's. Kia is improving so fast now that it makes my car nut head spin so fast I feel like I'm ducking from a Randy Johnson fastball.

Still, Suzuki is alive and well, but, you're right, in the USA they need to really step it up. Their lack of advertising has made them look bush-league to people here, and I know that that's not a correct image of their cars. The 2010 Suzuki Kizashi I test drove was a bonafide all-star to look at and to drive.

"A year after VW’s investment (Suzuki at the same time spent $1.1 billion to buy 2.5 percent of Volkswagen), Ferdinand Piech, chairman of VW’s management board, expressed displeasure that little of tangible value had yet come of the relationship. Tense words about the alliance came from both parties.

By this summer, the companies’ differences were expressed by Suzuki president Osamu Suzuki, who publicly bristled when VW management implied it could impose its will on the automaker. The 80-year-old Suzuki also wrote a blog that said in no uncertain terms his company had no intention in becoming subservient to VW."

Suzuki As Independent As Ever, VW Discovering (AutoObserver)
    Good for them, screw VW, I never liked one automobile they produced.