Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Altima Electrical Issues

2»

Comments

• I have a 2000 Altima GXE and I have been having problems lately with my lights on my radio fading in and out on occasion.  I also have a problem starting my car sometimes, it is fine when I first start it up in the morning but after that first start it will sputter out if I do not immediately press on the gas.  When I am at a light the RPM's go below 1000 and it feels like it is going to conk out on me.  Now I have noticed that the brake light is on the dash but my emergency brake is not up.  I thought it might be because it was cold and maybe it is just stuck enough to flash the light.  Any help on these problems would be great, I am supposed to go to the shop next thurs. and I want to have an idea of what to expect plus I don't wanna get ripped off. Thanks,Jayson
  • This has happened to me - twice. It is in the shop now - the service manager says it a mystery. I was wanting to know what you found out about your car.
  • Mine (2003) altima would nor start after it stayed overnight for a couple of days. I need a new alternator. No poblem since.
  • heyyou3heyyou3 Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Altima. The horn does not work. I changed the horn relay under the hood and it still does not work. I need know if there is a fuse for the horn in the fuse box under the dash board. I don't have the cover for the fuse box where it should be labelled. The owner's manual does not have the fuse diagram in it. If you have the diagram I would love to have it. Also could you suggest trouble shooting steps. Thnx
  • skinsfan3skinsfan3 Posts: 78
    I believe you will find what you need via a nt search. That is a good place to look for he factory manual. It is not impossible that the problem may be related to how the wheel cover sits on the wheel. That is just a guess on my part.
  • I have a 2000 Nissan Xterra and my horn does not work either. My fuse for the horn is under the hood near where I found the horn relay. My horn fuse was good so my next step is to replace the horn relay. I checked with an electrical mechanic today and he is my next stop if the horn relay does not fix my problem, but I am assuming I have an electrical problem because my cigarette lighter where I plug in my cell phone charger is no longer working either.
  • My front passenger side window will not go up and I noticed that the dorr locks do not work either. This all happened at 37000 miles 1 thousand after the warranty. Has anyone experienced this problem and if this is a fuse issue how do I find it. The Altima is a 2007 4 cyl
  • Consider yourself luck. My 2003 altimora started locking doors on its own early on. Which means that I have to be careful and remember to take my keys with me. I noticed this happens when I open the rear doof on the driver side, although it now doesd it on its' own.
  • My 2003 Altima has been giving me problems with the main door switch (drivers door). The swith quit operating some windows and I had it repaced for over $170. It worked great (except for rear door behind the driver) for two days and now is having problems again. It is not working the window or the doors locks properly. Any clues as to what may be going on??
  • Welcome to the club. I have a 2003 and the door behind the driver's seat has always managed to lock al the doors, after it has been open for a few minutes. Now It seems that if I close my doors, all of the locks shut. So I have to use caution and make sure I take the keys with me. My latest problem is that the roof light doesn't. whenever I open the driver's side rear door. The other door works. I am abut to try to fix the light problem, but I have no idea as to what is wrong with the electrical and doors. I figure there must be a solenoid somewhere that has gone bad. It may very well be that this is a defect in all 2003 models. I love the car and it has been relatively trouble free over these years
  • Did you ever find out what was wrong with your car? I have a 2000 altima and am having the same problem with the horn and cigarette lighters. The fuses looked good so I will try the horn relay. Was wondering if you had anymore insight.
  • Hey Guys,

I just recently gave back my Infiniti G35 due to getting older and getting engaged so saving money right now is a smart thing to do so I picked up an 06 altima special addition from someone on craigslist.

The car runs great and only has 33k miles on it and I just got a new battery and tires which I already new before I got the car.

Anyway, the owner advised me about the driver side window not closing automatically due to a security glitch all nissans and infiniti has. I had the same problem with my Infiniti but the fix was different than it is with the altima.

Basically when i close my window with the "one touch up " push of the button the window goes all the way to the top and then back down about 4 inches as a security measure as if there is something in the window. I believe there is a switch to turn that off under the door panel but I want to make sure before I do this myself. The car is no longet under the warranty and the dealership will prob charge me 50bucks or so so I fiugre I can just do it myself. If anyone here knows the fix please let me know . Thanks!
  • Okay where do I find the window and door lock fuses on a 2007 Altima. The diagram in the fuse panel does not identify where they are
  • I was working on a friends car and we were installing lights and he wanted to use the glove box light for the power. It didnt work when hooked up, so we got the lights working, he starts his car to leave and notices that the rear tail lights dont come on, the instrument cluster, and the dash board lights dont come on, any ideas. We checked all the fuses and they are fine.
  • Nissan Altima 1997, 140000 miles, 3 month age i changed my alternator for remanufactured alternator from Autozone. I have problem with my alternator (I guess). When i'm driving my car with heat, CD player, wipers and headlights on headlights starts going darker and suddenly goes very light and dies. It happening even when i'm driving only with headlights on, also when i'm acceleration its contributing to the problem..
    I observed that its happening with dashboard too.. Headlights and dashboard lights suddenly going dark and light.. I changed my headlights 3 times!Sometimes while i'm driving "Brake", "Open door" and other lights flashing.
    IS IT BECAUSE OF ALTERNATOR??? Because mechanic checked fuses, battery and other electrical things and said they are ok..

Thank you for responds..

Akmal
  • 98 Nissan Altima - dashboard lights go off randomly with no pattern. You can be driving on the highway, street or sitting still and they will go off for a few seconds and then come back on. This has been going on for about 3 mos. I've taken it to CarMax, where I got it, and they want to duplicate it, but it won't while they have it! They did a diagnostic, finally, and the battery, alternator and starter all check out fine. Last week, my daughter came back out to her car and it wouldn't start. It didn't make any sound, no clicking even, so we called a tow truck. When he came, it started. I don't know if that's related, but there it is. Can anyone help us figure out how to fix the car?
  • Are you sure all of the fuses are ok? I ask because my Integra is wired such that the parking/running/tailights and instrument panel lights share a common fuse. When your instrument panel lights go out, you instantly know that you don't have any tailights either.

Just happened to me the other day; a small wiring glitch and a fuse fixed me right up.
  • deewrightdeewright Posts: 1
    edited May 2010
    I don't have a solution except that I have a 97 altima with about 157K miles and my dashboard went dark this past Sunday. I mean car just completely died at a stop light, the warning I got hours earlier were, brake and battery and air bag lights came on. And then nothing, the accelearation slowed down and then stalled.

So my mechanic checks it out and tells me that the alternator needs to be fixed or replaced and needs a new computer because the alternator wore it down, I guess? So end result, when I get the car, he tells me he's replaced the computer and rewired the alternator into the computer. I replaced my alternator last about 4 years ago in 2006 at a Sears tire shop.
    He charged me $500 for parts and labor for the replacement computor. I plan to call him to verify if he kept the same alternator in the car. I hope to not have this problem again for a while, yet as I talk to people with older similar vehicles (Pontiac grand prix, et) the samething happens as well.
    I just want to know if this is something that I need to anticipate happening every now and again??
  • skinsfan3skinsfan3 Posts: 78
    I hope that you are not one of those unlucky people that inadvertently somehow managed to hit the dashboard light dimmer (hard to find on some later altima models.Refer to the owner's manual.
  • Hello All,
    I've owned this 2002 Nissan Altima since 2005, it's been a great car. I've done all the oil changes and tune-ups as required, but recently I've driven the car a few times and while i'm driving the car seems to lose power. It starts slowing down even while i'm pressing on the accelerator and then accelerates by itself when i'm not pressing the accelerator. Is this an electrical problem?? Sometimes I've had to pull-off the road because the car has totaly stopped. I've had to park the car for safety reasons, I'm hoping someone has had a similiar experience and can tell me what going on!!! Thanks.
  • Has you mileage per gallon dropped. I know people who don't know how to shift from 3rd to drive. It sounds like that could be happening. I own a 2003 Altima and hate the shift controls.
  • Did you figure this out? My 98 does exactly the same thing. The engine doesn't seem to vary at all, just the lights.
  • cmdrucmdru Posts: 1
    I was wondering if you found an answer to your electrical problem? Same thing just happened to me. Car starts fine but none of the electricals work no radio, wipers, blinkers, power locks, power windows. Only thing that does work is the headlights and brake lights.
  • I had the same thing happen 2009 altima. All windows and locks failed even after I changed the fuses??
  • geadesgeades Posts: 1

Radio/nav system/blue tooth works when it wants to. Taken to dealer on 3 occasions to be told they can find NO problem. This is an on and off problem so is quite confusing as to what is going on with the car!

• torino6torino6 Posts: 1

Not sure if anyone else has had this problem but i just replaced the bolt on the bolt tensioner on my 1998 altima it had broken and i lost power steering i replaced the bolt and put the alternator back in. A small plastic piece had fallen off. I had put it back in and lost all power to the windows and door locks. i have no a/c or heating. I've tested the alternator its fine i don't believe its a grounding problem. I haven't checked the fuses because they belong to different fuses. Any ideas?

2»