Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Grand Caravan Steering

Comments

• foonman50foonman50 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same whining and groaning sound on my 2002 voyager. The shop said they needed to flush the power steering system and replace the fluid. That made it worse.
    I made them aware of the reservoir problem as they were not aware of that fix. I asked them to put a new reservoir in and they did bingo problem solved. They were glad to find out the fix for that problem. I am very lucky to have a really honest and upright shop. One of their mechanics thought about it and agreed it was causing cavitation of fluid.
  • jayjay14jayjay14 Member Posts: 1
    we have had a whistling/whining noise in the steering when stopped after traveling 60 miles or so at highway speed. Has Dodge had a problem with the rack and pinion?
  • sbradshawsbradshaw Member Posts: 13
    I have a 2001.. I replace the power steering, then the rack and shortly thereafter the noise kept coming back. I 've been reading all the postings about steering problems and several mentioned cleaning/replacing the reservoir. Our local auto part dealers said it was a dealer part only so I decided to clean it out. I blew it out w. an air compressor then sprayed it clean w. brake cleaner. When I put it back it sounded worse but the next day I checked the fluid again and it must have went down slowly bc it was low again. I added more and it is completely quiet. Its been 4 days now and no whinning. They get glogged and deprive the pump and rack the fluid required. Wish I had tried this before the pump and rack was replaced. Probably never needed it done. ...and my husband said I was crazy for reading these. But it worked.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,790
    Crazy?! You were crazy before you read the posts, and the van drove you there! There is all sorts of knowledge acquired through shared desperation. ;)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • akindyakindy Member Posts: 1
    I have a Dodge Grand Caravan 2006, when ever we drive on the highway we get this loud noise in the engine, very annying humming noise, does not stop even after getting off the high way. It does not do it if we just drive on local roads.

Our mechanic said he is going to replace the steering wheel fluid and if that does nto work he will have to replace the pin and rack.

any suggestion will be helpful.

thanks,
    AK
  • dodgeman7dodgeman7 Member Posts: 17
    If the noise is coming from the engine, then it's not the rack and pinion or steering, it's in the engine block.
    It does seem to be a steering problem though and the noise may be coming from the steering pump and not the engine due to the humming noise.

Replace the power steering reservoir first before replacing the rack and see if that fixes your problem, if not have another mechanic check it out and see if it's something else. :shades:
    Hi Bill,

Sorry been away from this site for a while. I found this website on the error code P1494 and I'm guessing it has to do with the gas cap being loose. Tighten it up and drive it around for a few days until the computer resets it's self or you can clear the codes by disconnecting the negative battery cable for 30 seconds to reset it's self.
    :confuse:
    Check out this site for more information: http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/showthread.php?t=3244
    I know, that larger hose is a real pain. Mine looked like it was fused together and looked melted on the reservoir, but after a screwdriver and a trusty air hose, it came off. I did not want to try the WD-40 trick due to the steering fluid and rubber hose not co-operating with each other and breaking down over time, so I stuck with my air compressor.

My hose does not look that great at the reservoir and I wanted to change it when I did my power steering reservoir, but looked to be too much work so I passed and lucky for me it still does not leak.

I have to try that beer thing though next time.

:shades:
  • srs_49srs_49 Member Posts: 1,394
    Are you sure it's coming from the engine and not the front tires? Maybe your CV joints?

Does the noise change depending on whether you are accelerating, maintaining a steady speed, or decelerating?

Does the noise change when making a turn?
    I can honestly say the '01 Caravan has been a good one except for this. As for crazy... for taking it back to the mechanic that swapped the steering pump out twice before giving up and the 2nd mechanic shop for diagnosing the rack and pinion only for the noise to return a few weeks later. He said it was defective too and wanted to swap out again. Before I did that I started looking for answers myself. The reservoir replacement or cleaning was a inexpensive trial process. Now tell me what could be causing the faint popping in the rt front wheel after hitting a pothole. Changed tire & rim (warped it). Still pops from just turning the wheel even when the vans not moving and no visible boot damage so not pay'n for a cv joint just yet. It's AWD. Any suggestions? It driving me CRAZY not knowing. but don't want ot get taken for a ride again. :confuse:
    Ball joint or tie rod end???
    That is my thought as well. I was getting occasional "popping" sounds coming from the front end of my '98 DGC, usually over rough roads. No such sounds after replacing the ball joints. I also replaced the front struts at the same time, but I cannot figure how the strut could create such a sounds under the conditions sbradshaw described. The ball joints on mine were toast. :surprise:
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • chuck789chuck789 Member Posts: 2
    I have the same issue with my 2007 Chrysler T&C. the dealer ship has replaced the power steering resivor and filter as mentioned by others in the forum. but the issue still persist. if you find an answer please let me know. You are not alone. it is very dangerous and annoying. No solution yet? help
  • chuck789chuck789 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 Chrysler Town and Country, similar to most of the post I have steering whine. the dealer replaced the power steering reservoir and filter, but the problem is still there. the steering also seizes/stops while driving. it will kick back in, but is dangerous during turns. I took it back and the dealer says they cant find anything. I need help soon before we crash and someone gets hurt! please respond if you have any help.

#22 in the forum has the same problems also. Please help.
  • reticulumreticulum Member Posts: 1
    I've had a steering whine on my 2004 town and country for more than 4 years. The wheels had no problem to turn but the sounds was becoming horrible. I bought a used power steering pump thinking the problem was coming from the pump. While I was getting ready to change the pump I saw all thoses post about the reservoir and I decided to give it a shot. I have changed the reservoir an the whining is gone. It is like driving a new car :) When I looked at the filter....it was not clogged but many debris were on it.
  • doug05doug05 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan. If im sitting still and turn my steering wheel I get a pretty good vibration thats rather loud. When im driving down the road it acts as it should, even in turnes. I have the proper power steering fluid in the resavour. Another thing that occured at the same time is the steering wheel wont lock when I turn the key off. Anybody have any ideas?
  • tednbasiatednbasia Member Posts: 1
    in the winter time when it is below freezing i have problems with turning the steering wheel to the left only. i have only two options to resolving this problem in the morning either wait for the car to warm up or to forcefully turn the steering wheel until i hear a pop and then it starts to work normally. i only have this problem durning the winter time when it is cold. do you have any advice how to fix this problem? thanks
  • 03gces03gces Member Posts: 1
    Dealer item #4743012AA.....Should cost $26.45....Chrysler offers discounts for emp's & other suppiers......Chris
  • scurvscurv Member Posts: 1
    05 GC, power steering leak. We can complain all we want about our leaky rack and pinions...paying $1000 ect..but I would encourage ya'll to file here. http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
    This should be a recall!! :mad:
  • dcarswelldcarswell Member Posts: 1
    The problem with your whiny pump is caused by the power steering hose breaking down internally and clogging the internal filter inside the reservoir. Inspect your hoses as you replace you reservoir. Some that have posted on other forums have reported finding chunks that look like black paint flakes inside.
  • chod52chod52 Member Posts: 1
    The fan only working on high is caused by the blower resistor. Its a $16 dollar part. It is right behind the glove box. Flex the glove box inward to move the arms out of the way and it will fold down so you can work behind it. Unplug the wires to the resistor and remove the 2 screws. Put the new one in and you are good to go, takes less than 10 minutes.
  • beachbumblebeachbumble Member Posts: 1
    Hey, I am having the exact same problem with my Van. Did you find out what was causing yours?

Thanks
  • sgk1sgk1 Member Posts: 1
    Do you have a part number for the blower resistor, where did you get it? Will it fix both front and rear blowers?
    I replaced the pump 3 times then rack and pinion and it started again. I read someone said the reserve tank you pour the fluid into will get clogged. It has 2 or 3 bolts that hold it on. The one beneath it is very difficult to get to and i think it was a 10mm. You dont have to completely remove that screw, just loosen so you can pull the reserve up and remove it. Once I removed the tank I cleaned it with brake cleaner. When I put it back and refilled it, it sounded worse than before. I went back the next day and it was quiet as a mouse. I guess it took a while for the fluid to fill the lines and the air bubbles to go away but it was fine since. I read an article that the line in the back needed to be replaced with a larger one. I probably never needed to replace the pump or rack. It was just starving for fluid.
    I don't have the part number but remove the door on the glove box. You can see where the blower plugs into the resistor. It is attached to the dash be only 2 screws. My plug had gotten so hot it had melted to the resistor and didnt want to come out. I had smelled a "burning wire" smell for months before it finally quit. It takes about 3 minutes to install but I'm sure they can find a number on it at the part store. I think I ordered mine from Auto Zone b/c not everyone can get them. My rear blower has never given me trouble so I dont think thats your problem if you are having trouble with it too. Odd that they both would go out. Did you check your fuses?
  • bobv7bobv7 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 06 DGC. Like many others I have the whine. In addition, there is fluid leaking from the rack & pinion boot. Does this mean I need to change the rack and pinion? What is under the boot?

Thanks in advance...
    Underneath the boot on each side is a plastic or thick rubber seal that keeps the high pressure power steering fluid inside the rack. One or both of these seals are leaking, if you are seeing fluid leak out of the boot.

You can live with it for a while - just keep adding PS fluid - depending on how much it's leaking. But eventually, it will be leaking so bad you have to replace it.
    The rack is not too terrible in terms of expense - probably about $250 - but the work itself is a real pain in the rear..... :cry:
  • mamoo1mamoo1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi i just bought the Dodge Caravan with the same problem, i am wondering is this problem fixed with your van, from where you fixed that and how much it costs. thanks
    Yes, I know. I replaced the rack on my '87 BMW 4 or 5 years ago.

With that car though, being pretty well balanced front to rear, I was able to drive it with the power steering pump disconnected (hose removed). On the road it was fine, but parking required some arm strength - like back in the old days :P . I don't think I would do that with any minivan!
    Hahah; yeah, I bet it did! Driving a power steering car without it is a whole different animal from driving a car built without power steering. Either way, though, low-speed, tight steering maneuvers are a workout without the power assist. I have a 1969 Ford Econoline that is an excellent reminder of how far vehicles have come in the last 40 years. :D
  • racin_jasonracin_jason Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan and I experienced the same whining noise as most are stating on this page. The Rack & Pinion Assembally is shot. I had this confirmed by the daelership and a couple of service stations. This is an ongoing issue and just may result in a recall in the future. Hang onto your receipts. This is a very premature wearing of the Rack & Pinion system. Most last for the lifetime of the vehicle.
  • ampfiampfi Member Posts: 1
    I have 2002 DGC Sport. I moved from US to overseas in 2005. My van was shipped in the container.I started to have problems with the noise while steering. Local dealer said that it came from the power steering gear which had to be replaced 2007. Now there's a leak (I was told it's from the power steering pump) at both ends of power steering gear which shows on the rubber linkage under the car. I was told that the power steering gear needs to be replaced again which cost me last time over 900 euros meaning over $1000.00. Has anybody else experienced similar problem? Is it really necessary to replace the whole steering gear? I'm not mechanically inclined for that reason I'm sending this message to get help from this forum and people who have expertise to give me advise what I should do to save money and have the van in working condition. Thanks in advance for your advise! Ampfi from Finland
  • masterpaul1masterpaul1 Member Posts: 421
    Hi All,
    While I was doing an oil change on our 2001 DGC EX w/3.8L engine w/123K, I notice a dark liquid on one of the power steering hoses, that connects to the power steering oil cooler. So, I cleaned both hoses, with a dry shop cloth, and adjusted/tightened one of the hose clamps. Pulled out of the garage and notice while turning, the steering felt weird and I heard a winning noise. (Never heard this before). So, I drove down the ally. Made a left turn and the steering was getting very stiff. Pulled over, with the engine still running, and saw power steering fluid streaming to the ground. So, I drove back home, about a block and pulled back in the garage. (Some fluid was still running out slow after I turned off the engine.)

I ended up having to replace one of the power steering hoses connected to the oil cooler, which was about a foot in length without an elbow. Replaced with smaller hose from the dealership, and the second hose as well. Both curved with an elbow and about 5 inches in length. (What a job this was.) I ended up replacing all of the fluid with ATF 4, since it pretty much all ran out during the repair.

The problem now, is when I turn, I feel vibration in the steering wheel, as well as through the cabin at times. (Most noticeable when turning slow.) There are no leaks. The fluid level is fine. I made sure to turn the wheel back and forth a few times before driving, to get the air out of the lines. Drove for about 10 miles and no change. I was thinking, maybe I should have replaced the one hose, that was a foot long with the same size hose without an elbow. Maybe the fluid isn’t flowing like it should through the smaller hose. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks :confuse:
  • bart19136bart19136 Member Posts: 5
    Good Day,

Order your pump from a supply warehouse and have it delivered to a us address at a family, then have them ship it to you internationally...
  • vernongetzlervernongetzler Member Posts: 1
    Hat’s off. Well done, as we know that “hard work always pays off”, after a long struggle with sincere effort it’s done.
    ================
    vernon getzler
    Caravan Insurance
  • summerlynnsummerlynn Member Posts: 1
    Ok so I just had my power steering pump and hoses replaced. A few weeks later I am returning home and something happens. The steering wheel locks up. I make it home and there's a huge leak that followed me home. and in my drive way. I check my power steering fluid. Its empty. Now a mechanic fixed it at his shop. He sucks! My van has been returned to him 7 times now. Does anyone know what else could be wrong. The new pump and hoses r fine. Should I get more fluid fill it and run the van and see where its coming from?
  • georgezhugeorgezhu Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2011
    I recently bought a used 05 Caravan SE 3.3 at a bit over 100K mile. The van is in a fairly good shape except the whining sound which is on all the time and quite worrisome. Fortunately my mechanics told me that it was probably some minor problem with power steering. I got it for a bit shy of $5K and my mechanics did a full tune-up and added some synthetic power steering fluid. I told him about this thread and he checked the reservoir and told me the filter in the reservoir seemed clean. He put some synthetic power steering fluid instead ATF+4, but assured me that they should work as well if not better. (He told me that the fluid he used is thicker and maybe have some problems in winter, we will see). But the whining was cured, and now the van drives pretty nice. (And at the price, I would be happy if I can get 2 years non-major-problem driving over it.) I guess it would probably be cured with similar therapy as others with switch reservoir and fluid as well.
  • bigjohn16bigjohn16 Member Posts: 3
    do u have recall on power steering whining
  • natb1natb1 Member Posts: 10
    4 years later and the PS is still working great. Per my post, all i did was remove PS resivoir, clean it, and reinstall.

IMPORTANT CAUTION on this proceedure:

Do not let PS/ATF+4 fluid spill on the 10 position wire harness (fuel inject/MAP) under the resivoir (behind the ignition coils). I let this happen and 4 years later all the insulation melted, and the wires started shorting out. This blew my MAP sensor & my PCM.
    does transmission have anything to do with power steering noise
    how did u clean resivior
  • natb1natb1 Member Posts: 10
    Hot soapy water. Apply water pressure backwards through the screen. Rinse THOROUGHLY and let dry THOROUGHLY.

No. Tranny doesnt make PS noise. I used ATF+4 in my PS. I spilled it on a wire harness.
  • fartman89fartman89 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I had the same problem with mine and ended up cleaning the power steering reivoir.

I found this video on Youtube that helped me out.
    dodge caravan steering
  • robb27robb27 Member Posts: 1
    Started my 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan the other day and couldn't turn the steering wheel. About a minute later the belt squeeled and the power steering started up. Alternator light was not on so I assume the belt was running.

2 more times that day while turning corners I lost the power steering and almost went off the road since I couldn't turn the wheels. At least one of those times I heard the belt squeel and power steering come back.

Anyone have any ideas?
  • williamsgrl22williamsgrl22 Member Posts: 2
    Been having the same problem from mine. Its always short lived but comes back whenever it pleases. Sometimes I can turn the engine off and let it sit and it'll drive fine. Sometimes I dont have the problem for over a month and something small like a pothole will start the shuddering and pulling to the right over again. I have been told its most likely the rack and pinion (which was replaced less than 2 years ago already) and/or the power steering pump (which has also been replaced less than 2 years ago). Whatever the actual problem may be, its causing unnecessary wear and tear on the entire front end and more problems than I have time to list.
  • williamsgrl22williamsgrl22 Member Posts: 2
    My '04 DC has me baffled. It started with a little whining from the pump last winter...was told by the shop it needed a new pump (about $450 parts and labor). I decided to let it ride until I was certain the pump was the problem. Shortly after I noticed the whining thats when the other problems started (and have yet to stop). I'll be driving down the road (and road, interstate, whatever...doesn't seem to matter what type it is) and out of nowhere the front end starts vibrating and the wheel pulls to the right making it very difficult to drive. When this occurs it helps sometimes to let off the accelorator completely (but how am I supposed to go anywhere if I can't accelorate0 but not always...sometimes it persists no matter what I do until I shut her down and let her rest. This particular issue happens randomly (trip mileage, road conditions, temperature...none of these seem to play in to this problem). Also, after the steering problems started, I noticed an occasional popping sound in the front drivers side wheel when turning right (this happens every time the other problems starts). Ive been told in addition to replacing the PS pump that I would need to replace the rack and pinion (which was done less than 2 yrs ago). I have not seen any leaking of any fluids in my driveway and I check my PS fluid frequently. To add to the ongoing steering problems 4 days ago (while the freak wobbling issue was occuring) I decided to pull over and let it rest only to find out that my front drivers side axle had just broke turning right into the parking lot. So now I'm told I need a new axle, new cv joints, new pump, and a new rack and pinion. I had a gut feeling that this was all being caused by a different problem and was amazed to see the advice about the PS resevoir and how its helped similar issues in the DC. With that said, I KNOW I have to replace the axle...which is scheduled for this weekend...Should I replace the resevoir also? And if I do will this correct the freak wobbling and vibrations as well as the whining?? I AM DESPERATE FOR ANSWERS. I am a single mom with limited resources who's been told to replace my almost new rack and pinion for $2000 or lose my steering all together and my kids and I will end up in a ditch somewhere. HELP!!!
  • jluthyejluthye Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2011
    Hello,

I am not a car expert at all but I have an '08 GC. We bought it from car max with a whine that sounds exactly like power steering. In fact we were told it was power steering and some vans just were loud with no issues. We drove it like that for 2 years.

Well my brother has an "06 GC and when he heard ours whining he said he was glad cause he thought something was wrong with his van. It started after an oil change for him.

Well a year later, I get a check up on my car and they tell me tire rod is shot and it can be dangerous, I get it replaced (about $200 or $300 for both) and the noise is gone.

I go to visit my brother a month later and I told him about the noise and he said, "i know we just replaced the tire rod in ours too!"

So with that said, it could be the tire rod. I swear it sounds exactly like the power steering. It is funny I came across your post because I was just telling someone about this today!

I was told I should have felt a vibration or a pull on the tire or the side that is bad. I never did, just the whine that increased when tirning. So if you have a whine and everything else seems ok check out the TIRE ROD. It can be dangerous and lead to breaking axels, tires coming off and all sorts of tragedies!
  • gwesdorgwesdor Member Posts: 8
    I took my grnd caravan to the dealer and 800 bucks later they had replaced a small leaky hose. (I never saw anything leaking and never needed to fill the reservoir). It seemed to be better but still the whine was noticeable. Now it is very loud and the wheel turns hard sometimes. I removed the reservoir and cleaned it out with carb cleaner. Refilled with ATF +4. Same thing, loud whine. Have a remanuf P.S. pump to install next. Will see if that helps. The rack was replaced at 20K miles. Have 104K now.
  • maymayspoppamaymayspoppa Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Grand Caravan and when it is cold and it sits for about 7 to 8hrs the steering binds to the left only... you can turn the wheel to right with one finger but it takes all my strength to turn it left! It does it for a few minute of turning back and forth repeatedly then it will feel like it POPS and breaks free and its fine from then on until it sits again for a lengthy amount of time, it also made a grinding sound that you can feel through the wheel when turning left, I changed the resevoir and it seemed to help that but not the binding. There is nothing in the way of any of the moving parts that it could bind on so i am guessing it is the rack and pinion or the pump but i dont understand why it does it only when cold and only to the left and clears up til next time it sits. I would love to know what the problem is so i can get the right part to fix it and not spend loads of money on parts that are not needed. So if anyone out there in cyberland know what could be causing this please let me know, THANKS!