Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Escape Transmission Problems

Comments

• ski11ski11 Member Posts: 3
    My wife also has a 2010 ford escape. Almost from day one, she noticed problems with the shifting. We took it in for the trans recall, and they "fixed" the problem. It got steadily worse. I was finally able to get the "wrench" light to come on so the dealer could "pull the code". Every time I took it in, the said there was nothing wrong with it, because there were no error codes. I kept telling them there was, they didn't want to hear that. Well, now it is at the dealer waiting for the parts to rebuild the transmission. I'm thinking, I don't want a brand new car with 13,000 miles on it to have a rebuilt transmission. I would prefer to get my money back and go buy a Honda/Toyota/Nissan. From reading other blogs and posts elsewhere, I'm afraid even with a rebuilt trans, it will continue to cause problems. I want my wife and young kids to feel and BE safe in a vehicle.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Your CVT "hunts" just as much as your 8 speed, truth be known probably even moreso.

But since the CVT hunting is "seamless" passengers take no notice.
  • hackattack5hackattack5 Member Posts: 315
    I have a 2011 escape and the maintenance book says 30,000 miles it is time for a transmission service.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    That surprises me. The CR-V's service interval is 120,000 miles for the transmission (a bit sooner for the transaxle).

I don't see a fluid change requirement at all for the 2011 Escape Hybrid with the CVT.
    Are you certain/sure that isn't a dealer inserted page...?

Not even the factory would suggest 30,000 miles..

Transmission "service"...

Or do you mean just "check" the ATF condition and level.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited May 2011
    The Edmunds Car Maintenance Guide says it's a service - fluid and filter change to the tune of $150.
    Wow, WOW..!

I know, historically, that the Ford Escape has had far to many drive line component failures but this still seems "over the top".

Plus most of the driveline component failures involved only the F/awd models. And even with that it is my "cut" that most of those failures involved only the PTO or the rear clutch/diff'l assembly. Those most likely arising from to frequent and/or inappropriate use of the "AWD" mode.

But then there is also the fact that Ford's adoption of TC to improve the overall safety, and reduce the driver's ability to abuse the driveline, of their FWD or F/awd models was seriously delayed as opposed to other marques.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    It probably doesn't have a dipstick either. Several Ford Transmissions are "sealed for life" and don't require service. The logic and experience in testing indicate that the transmission will last about 100,000 miles if you service it, and will last about 100,000 miles if you don't. So why bother to service it? Right or wrong, that's what the testing showed.
  • jakarukajakaruka Member Posts: 1
    Hey Guys,

Just joined. I am have the same type of problem. My Ford Escape (2005) starts to vibrate when I reach a speed about 15 mph and stop at about 18. It will keep vibrating while I am at those speeds. The vibration seems to be coming from the front drivers side. What is the problem and what is the fix? Thanks a lot for any help.
  • jibboojibboo Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a new Ford Escape 2010 Limited back in August of 2010. Not 6 months had passed when I had to have the transmission rebuilt, as there were many problems with the it. Every time I would accelerate it felt as if the transmission was going to drop. Two weeks ago I was driving to Detroit (Live in Illinois) and about 65 miles out outside of Detroit the little Wrench Icon comes on...and I can feel the car starting to ride very strange. I took it into the dealership in Detroit, and the pulled a P1783 Code (Transmission Overheat). They did not have a transmission tech on hand, so they said I should be able to make it back to Chicago, which luckily I did. We stayed over night in Detroit and when we left the next morning, the icon was gone, however about an hour outside of Chicago it came back on...I took my car to my local dealership the following day, and after having the car for a week, they said that nothing was wrong...they could still see the code in memory, but could not find any issues...I don't know what to do, as this does not seem right...any suggestions...thanks...
    I have 2 2010 Escapes in my fleet, both with about 20,000 miles on them, and not a lick of trouble with either. Therefore, I conclude that yours is NOT normal, nor is there nothing wrong with it. That's unacceptable for them to give it back to you with nothing done on it. When you took it in, was the wrench on? You indicated they can find the error in memory, that should be enough to force them to do something. First, I would try a second dealer. If they won't at least try to fix it by doing something on it, I would insist on seeing a Ford rep the next time they are in town. Your dealer can make an appointment for you. If you get no satisfaction from the Ford Rep, (but I rather think you will), then I would start my documentation for a lemon law buyback, whatever your state provides for that action. You can't trust this car, and I would not keep it. They owe you a refund, or another transmission. They do make transmissions that don't overheat, I have had several. Don't surrender, this is not right. The problem nowadays is, they don't have mechanics anymore, they have kids who can run a computer, and do what it tells them to do. But if the computer doesn't have a procedure, they have no idea what to try to do to fix it! Thank goodness you have a code in the memory, or they would never even take it in! They would just tell you that you are nuts.

Best of luck - I know it's a major pain, but dog this thing until you get satisfaction. The dealer didn't build the car, but Ford did, and THEY owe you. :lemon:
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,204
    edited June 2011
    It depends on which maintenance schedule you are looking at.
    Normal is @150k. Severe Service 30k.
    Our '09 just had the 30k service, no trans service.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • hackattack5hackattack5 Member Posts: 315
    edited July 2011
    That is right and if you put a luggage carrier on your escape Ford considers it demanding service. I have 3 large teenagers that I haul all over the country for sports so yes I am going to call that severe service and service my transmission every 30,000 miles. What is cheaper the $450.00 I will spend in maintenance in 100,000 miles or a new transmission at 100,000 miles. I have done this service for 30 years and have never had a transmission go out yet. For you non believers here is a copy of the 2011 Escape service schedule out of the owners manual.

SPECIAL OPERATING CONDITIONS
    If you operate your vehicle primarily in one of the more demanding
    conditions listed below, you will need to have some items maintained
    more frequently. If you only occasionally operate your vehicle under
    these conditions, it is not necessary to perform the additional
    maintenance. For specific recommendations, see your dealership service
    adviser or technician.
    Towing a trailer or using a camper or car-top carrier
    As required – Change engine oil and filter as indicated by message
    center and perform services listed in the Normal
    Scheduled Maintenance chart
    Inspect frequently, service as
    required
    – Inspect and lubricate U-joints
    – See axle maintenance items under Exceptions
    Every 30,000 miles (48,000 km) – Change automatic transmission fluid (except 6R80 and
    TorqShift transmissions)
    – Replace front wheel bearing grease/grease seals if
    non-sealed bearings are used (2WD vehicles)
    Every 60,000 miles (96,000 km) – Change manual transmission fluid
    – Change transfer case fluid (4WD vehicles)
    Perform the services noted in the preceding table at the specified
    time/mileage (km) period either within 3,000 miles (4,800 km) of the
    OIL CHANGE REQUIRED message appearing in the message center or
    when the time/mileage (km) reading indicates service is due.
    Example #1: The OIL CHANGE REQUIRED message comes on at
    28,751 miles (46,270 km); perform the 30,000 mile (48,000 km)
    automatic transmission fluid replacement.
    Example #2: The OIL CHANGE REQUIRED message has not come on
    but the odometer reads 30,000 miles (48,000 km); perform the engine air
    filter replacement. (i.e., Intelligent Oil Life Monitor™ was reset at
    25,000 miles [40,000 km].)
  • texas95texas95 Member Posts: 1
    We just losst our transmission (2009 Escape) at 27,000 mi., third problem. First was a major repair to transmission at 11,000, a recall and now ours is sitting in CO waiting for someone to look at it as we were driving to the West coast. We will trade it in when we get home!
  • escape8escape8 Member Posts: 1
    we have a 2002 escape which just recently started jumping from 5th gear into 3rd. Can anyone please tell me what could be causing this? thanks in advance!
  • radflyrradflyr Member Posts: 5
    Purchased May 2011; the transmission has a turbo lag witch is strange that Ford has produced a bad symptom of Turbos historical past witch is no longer an issue for cars that actually HAVE Turbos! The faulty programming of the ford 6 speed seems to be the culprit. It is inconsistent sometimes much worse than other times. Can't be counted on to safely merge into heavy fast moving traffic Say, "like a FREEWAY!" Or other such unusual driving situations. Have almost been T-bared twice. I haven't had an accident or moving violation for over 25 years and drive very safely, but I'm not a snail either. The engine has plenty of power lots of tork but I can feel the transmission holding the power back with its constant searching for just the perfect gear to use but it never finds it in time. If I have a short stop right after accelerating, the car continues to apply power to the axil long after I have taken my foot off the gas and applied the brakes; almost causing rear end collisions at false starts in traffic. And then the tranny makes a hard and loud clunk that feels like the tranny is falling out, it does this with great regularity while accelerating from a stop as well. It reminds me of a 65 Chevy Impala i had for a few weeks in the 70s witch went to the bone yard because the transmission needed a rebuild and the car only cost me $175. So I guess Ford still can’t build a car better than my old $175 Impala with an additional 43 years of technology advancement and an extra $25,000.00. They still handle their mistakes no better than they did in 1975. I was there with Ford then as well; I thought I’d give them a second chance but they just can’t handle Technology. And they should stay away from it. As I said I am not a lead foot but the best Mileage I have gotten is 22MPG. I got consistent 26 to 30 MPG out of my 2006 Mustang witch I traded for the Escape only because I have become disabled and could no longer pull myself up and out of the low Mustang. The Service Manager at the dealer in Cary, NC said they have had a lot of complaints but that the problems and they used to resolve each as it arose with reprogramming and had replaced a few transmissions but Ford told them not to do anything about it anymore. I am paraphrasing but I was basically told Ford has reverted to their historical M.O. "They are blaming the driver now (Just like they did with the dangerous Explorer tires and wheel alignments that cause accidents and death and injury in the early 2000s,so they don't have to admit the transmission is a lemon and therefore avoid a recall. Stating: "that the transmission is adaptive and if you aren't consistent about the way that you drive.” You may notice some unpleasant variances with shifting". I am 56 years old, been driving since I was 10. Grew up on a farm. Know engines transmissions and gears. Have owned more than 30 cars of various brands from domestic to foreign cheap to expensive. I know that this problem is a Defective Programming witch is causing shifting problems (Hard and searching shifts out of sequence (which will in time Cause Mechanical breakdown of the internal components in the transmission, engine, CV joints and breaks. Poor gas mileage and shortened life from the product. I've been there before. Ford's claims of quality and standing behind their products Eh! Go buy a Honda, GM, Toyota, or if you can afford it Acura or Audi. "Ford is still doing business; “just like its 1999!" It’s been three weeks since a Ford rep promising would get back to me within 3 or 4 days. Haven’t heard a word since, nothing from the dealer eighther. Seems all those millions spent monthly to promote It's products and how they are so good keep bad press out of the public view. "Otherwise I would not have purchased this junk." Wish I had my Mustang back! "Wish I had gone to GM!"
    Purchased May 2011; the transmission has a turbo lag witch is strange that Ford has produced a bad symptom of Turbos historical past witch is no longer an issue for cars that actually HAVE Turbos! The faulty programming of the ford 6 speed seems to be the culprit. It is inconsistent sometimes much worse than other times. Can't be counted on to safely merge into heavy fast moving traffic Say, "like a FREEWAY!" Or other such unusual driving situations. Have almost been T-boned twice in three months. I haven't had an accident or moving violation for over 25 years and drive very safely, but I'm not a snail either. The engine has plenty of power lots of tork but I can feel the transmission holding the power back with its constant searching for just the perfect gear to use but it never finds it in time. If I have a short stop right after accelerating, the car continues to apply power to the axil long after I have taken my foot off the gas and applied the brakes; almost causing rear end collisions at false starts in traffic. And then the tranny makes a hard and loud clunk that feels like the tranny is falling out, it does this with great regularity while accelerating from a stop as well. It reminds me of a 65 Chevy Impala i had for a few weeks in the 70s witch went to the bone yard because the transmission needed a rebuild and the car only cost me $175. So I guess Ford still can’t build a car better than my old $175 Impala with an additional 43 years of technology advancement and an extra $25,000.00. They still handle their mistakes no better than they did in 1975. I was there with Ford then as well; I thought I’d give them a second chance but they just can’t handle Technology. And they should stay away from it. As I said I am not a lead foot but the best Mileage I have gotten is 22MPG. I got consistent 26 to 30 MPG out of my 2006 Mustang witch I traded for the Escape only because I have become disabled and could no longer pull myself up and out of the low Mustang. The Service Manager at the dealer in Cary, NC said they have had a lot of complaints but that the problems and they used to resolve each as it arose with reprogramming and had replaced a few transmissions but Ford told them not to do anything about it anymore. I am paraphrasing but I was basically told Ford has reverted to their historical M.O. "They are blaming the driver now (Just like they did with the dangerous Explorer tires and wheel alignments that cause accidents and death and injury in the early 2000s,so they don't have to admit the transmission is a lemon and therefore avoid a recall. Stating: "that the transmission is adaptive and if you aren't consistent about the way that you drive.” You may notice some unpleasant variances with shifting". I am 56 years old, been driving since I was 10. Grew up on a farm. Know engines transmissions and gears. Have owned more than 30 cars of various brands from domestic to foreign cheap to expensive. I know that this problem is a Defective Programming witch is causing shifting problems (Hard and searching shifts out of sequence (which will in time Cause Mechanical breakdown of the internal components in the transmission, engine, CV joints and breaks. Poor gas mileage and shortened life from the product. I've been there before. Ford's claims of quality and standing behind their products Eh! Go buy a Honda, GM, Toyota, or if you can afford it Acura or Audi. "Ford is still doing business; “just like its 1999!" It’s been three weeks since a Ford rep promising would get back to me within 3 or 4 days. Haven’t heard a word since, nothing from the dealer eighther.
    SOP for newer automatic transmissions, began with Lexus RX300 design change back in ~'98.

Google:

abolition hesitation downshift
    Hey! wwest, Maybe you could be more specific about what you have replied. I don't understand what it is that you are trying to convey,. I Goggled the phrase and found nothing but found nothing dealing with Ford Escape 6 speed transmission programming wondering clutching problems. Or anything that would address what my transmission is doing. I have wondering shifting up and down all throughout what should be a certain upshift at the proper RPM, I have searching and holding back and then finally shifting to the next when engine speed and forward momentum has been lost and then we are now in the wrong gear again. Clunking and banging of gears dropping at the end and beginning of the shifting sequence. Transmission gears slipping and then clunking and dropping into gear upon both hot and cold start-ups. Severe TURBO LAG when acceleration is needed for lane changing and merging in traffic. As a result as a fact of engineering to be sure that the tranny and engine are running hotter than they need to be running fuel economy is sacrificed and accelerated wear and decreased life on the entire drive train is the result.
    Yes, it's 9 years old.
    ALL modern day automatic transmissions pretty much all have the same firmware version, close enough anyway. Your 6-speed probably has 10 effective gear ratios, 6 "hard" with the top 4 able to use the lockup clutch for more fuel efficiency.

So the firmware is designed to most closely match the FE of a CVT, and that means lots of shiftiness. Slightest perturbation in the roadbed, or slight additional, or lift, on the accelerator pedal and it will switch gears. The only way I have found to reduce this effect, SLIGHTLY reduce, is to drive with CC on as much as possible.

The re-acceleration downshift delay, 1-2 second delay/hesitation is the result of the "abolition" of the old ATF line pressure sustaining system beginning back late in the last century. You are trying to merge into a line of traffic, release the gas pedal slightly, the transmission upshifts accordingly, now you wish to accelerate to merge and there is no reserve ATF line pressure available for the needed downshift so DBW is used to prevent engine rising torque until the downshift can be completed.

The third new effect you are probably encountering is the new coastdown FULL fuel cut to conserve fuel. Lift the accelerator pedal completely at any speed and the ECU will shutoff fuel flow COMPLETELY and then sequentially downshift as roadspeed continues to decline to prevent the engine from stalling. Just before you come to a full stop fuel flow will be restored and a final upshift will occur. Unless you step on the gas the transmission will now not downshift into first until the vehicle comes to a full and complete stop.
    edited September 2011
    Hello Wwest, "Give me and others a break!" If you don’t work for FORD already; “which I suspect that you do in some form or have at one point.” “You really need to get a job at Ford explaining to other engineers with their heads planted firmly in worthless technical jargon that work with engineering theory in their little cubicles as to,”what will the machine do if we design it this way or just let it do that because it would work for you”. And you must have read but didn’t comprehend is that; I stated in my posting and reiterated it again in my response to your original response. The “Programming” OR as you call it: (FIRMWARE) was to blame. "I don't need you to tell me that." I still don’t know why you are responding to this posting because you clearly have nothing of real world value to aid in resolving this REAL defect. “I am sorry wwest, but you just aren’t helpful!”

I don't need diatribe about how the parts function together. The result of this POOR design is that the car is defective and dangerous in REAL WORLD daily use. This is 2011 and the fact that Ford has place a car on the market and continue to market it as such a marvel of technology and economy and reliable when the technology is poorly executed and then deny that there is a problem for them to address and give the value that the customers have been doubted into paying for. The fact remains, the car is defective, dangerous, and is destined for short road life because of extra heating of the internal parts that is cause directly by the unnecessary wondering shifting and holding back of engine torque that the driver has already paid for the gas to produce but it is now lost because the gear wasn't there when it should have been. Your Cruise Control suggestion is one that pisses me off; who uses CC while driving down the streets? This is not recommended for safety reasons and is not a solution for daily city driving. And just plain common sense while on the open road for fuel economy reasons alone. If I wanted a car held together with bailing twine and backyard snake oil suggestions like; “just use you cruise control and hope that you don't have to apply the brakes or anything like that!" "Then I would have spent thousands less and bought an old car!" (I bought a new car!) And it should shift without dropping gears with big boom sounds and leaving me stranded without power to get out of the way of quickly approaching traffic. And have been SCREWED BY FORD!! If you don't have any GOOD suggestions or can offer solidarity in forcing FORD to give what they promised in exchange for $25,000 for me and others; then I wish to hear it. "Do you?" I sound to me like you are a paid Ford apologist to monitor these forums to quail complaints by making them seem like its driver error. I have been driving over 44 years and have owned over 30 cars; "I know when I have a LEMMON and a DANGEROUS one at that!" I have been to this Rodeo before with FORD in the 70s. So I know when they are trying to sweep aside what should be a recall, unfortunately they haven't they haven't changed their methods since the disastrous head in sand burying of the Ford Explorer fiasco which resulted in the deaths of many of their loyal customers in the glaring national news media; before they finally called a recall of the cars. It’s a matter of what it cost for deaths as opposed to what it would cost to recall and repair” DEFECTIVELY DESIGNED and ENGINEERED PRODUCTS "Remember that?"
    It is my intention to "WARN others" about this POSSIBLY VERY DANGEROUS DEFECT before they go auto shopping because the dealers will only let you know about it after you have bought one. And Ford spends more money in advertising than dose any other car manufacturer in the country and therefore no media these days will bight the hand that feeds them.
    I am NOT in the employ of Ford, Lexus, or any automotive manuacturer.

Just stating the facts as I see them.

To my knowledge the 1-2 second downshift/delay hesitation first occurred in several Toyota/Lexus vehicles of the '01-'02 era, timeframe. The shiftiness I first observed in a Chrysler Sebring. The coastdown fuel cut technique I descovered browsing the 'net.

The 1-2 second downshift delay/hesitation is pure the result of a design flaw. A design choice that was made in the interest of FE.

These problems, poor design choices, are by no means limited to Ford products.
    wwest, Again, you are not helpful with regard to THIS issue with THIS FORD Escorts equipted with this transmission. Perhaps you could try to find a more pertanant automotive issue to fit what ever point you are trying to make.
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    What wwest is telling you, is that various other makes of vehicles have similiar problems with their auto transmissions as your vehicle does. What Ford are you driving? Today you are talking about an Escort that Ford hasn't made for years. Your postings are rather confusing.
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    I replied to your posting, NOT wwest. Check youy posting of 1 Sept. You do mention a Ford Escort.
    4 Cyl or 6 Cyl? If 4 Cyl, that's normal, most 4 Cyl engines vibrate slightly at low RPM, which happens when you're in gear. If it's a 6 CYL, I still think it's the engine, not the transmission, but they usually don't vibrate, so I don't know what is making it do that.
    It's not the transmission, it's way more likely to be a bad tire, out of balance tire, or slightly bent wheel.
    First of all, Louise, I used to live in Panama City, and have been to Dothan as well! So I know the area, and loved it. (Ah, the smell of a paper mill in the morning! Nothing like it). Anyway, it sounds like bad gas, but if it isn't, it may just be a power surge that messed up your engine management module. Restarting the car probably re-booted it and that's why it's ok. I wouldn't do anything unless it repeats the problem. One other question though, was the Check Engine light on when it was having the problem. If not, it should have been....
  • tasha4881tasha4881 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 ford escape which tranny went out about 100,00 miles. How can you feel okay defending this pos company. all these people who have been critically injured with families to support! people who bought thgem brand new and have been sitting for yrs because people cannot afford to fix them! after fixing them not only to have same problem 10,000 miles later! are you serious? How can you live with yourself defending ford! they dont care! this is rediculous to allow this to go on with no reprocussions. Heartless and just stupid!
  • babbs3babbs3 Member Posts: 50
    OMG can you believe that after 3 years we are all still having problems with the transmissions in the Fusion (I sold my 2010 to the dealer) and now my 2011 Escape is starting to act the same. I have had more than 22 cars and some were true beaters but not ONE had a bad trans. We as consumers will never get Ford to admit the problem. I am also not a speedster but I will not drive like a snail just to get the trans. to shift correctly(sorta). The high revs (all under 40mph) just can't be good for not only the 4cyl. but the poor gas mileage. I took 2 long trips and honestly kept the speed under 75. The best mpgs. were 26.3. Thank god I am leasing the excape so I won't be stuck with the problems forever. Loved the example about the old Chevy that only cost 175.00. and had to be sold. Maybe some day a brave car expert will expose Fords' secrets, or maybe a few deaths will bring it to light. Getting T- boned after waiting for the confused trans. to work just scares the heck out of me. Can't wait for my lease to be up..still have 18 months left. May so back to GM.
    "..may go back to GM.."

That will be like jumping into boiling water at a different point.

All modern automatic transmissions, industry wide, are now using these same fuel saving design techniques.

The best you can probably hope for is a warning signal, buzzer(?) that re-acceleration should not be attempted due to the lack of sufficient ATF line pressure.
    edited September 2011
    I agree wwest. If I recall correctly, isn't this the transmission that Asain makes for several manufacturers, including GM, Ford and Toyota?
  • davichodavicho Member Posts: 190
    "May go back to GM."

Wow you have a lot of courage saying such oddity. Going back to GM would definately not be moving forward, at the very most a lateral move...if that!
    New ideas, certainly FE ideas, propagate throughout the industry like wildfire, cross-license, what ever. So anyone building "standard" (non-CVT) automatic transmissions will soon, if not already, incorporate these designs.
  • daveyboy8daveyboy8 Member Posts: 3
    hello.i have a 2002 escape,3.0 liter front wheel drive.nice vehicle.but,o/d light flashes.if i hold the button in making the o/d light stay off on dash,vehicle drives fine and shifts good(i drive 100 miles a day round trip to work/home.)if button is not held in,i risk trans shifting in and out of o/d.tried replacing with another shifter handle(used)thinking button was bad,but not the case.i can stick a penny in end of shifter handle and not have to hold in while i drive(talk about a one cent repair).i realize this is just a bandaid,and want to fix it right.any suggestions?thx.
    O/D lockup clutch has probably failed, slipping.

But check ATF level just the same.
  • daveyboy8daveyboy8 Member Posts: 3
    why would it work when i hold the switch in?no change in rpms when it hits overdrive,dont notice any slipping,i will recheck the fluid level,but how much does it hace to be off to cause this problem?could it be electrical?my brother in law works at ford,says they have had problems with wiring running down the steering column,esp. tilt wheel?im open to suggestions.thx
    I tend to agree with wwest. When the OD light blinks on these cars, it usually means there is a problem inside the transmission, and that's your indicator. Holding the button in probably disengages the OD so it doesn't slip, and I doubt it's electrical.
  • iamentenseiamentense Member Posts: 1
    2007 Escape XLT 4cyl, 76K when engine is cold (sometimes warm) the transmission makes a shuddering sound for the first 5 or seconds when placed into gear. The noise disappears and does not return until vehicle has cooled. This happens going into drive, or reverse, flat or hill.
    I have 5 Escapes, and have not had a transmission problem yet, but the first thing I would ask is: is the fluid full, and is it clean. When was the transmission serviced last. If it's been over 30,000 miles, I'd have it serviced. If none of these suggestions resolve the problem, it is an internal issue, but may not be fatal. I had a Sable once that would slip on the very first shift on a cold day, but then never again that day. It never got any worse. The only other thing it could be is the engine, not the transmission. When you first put it into gear, it loads up the engine, which could have a cold temperature miss that goes away quickly when it warms up. Could be a dirty injector, spark plug, or a few other things, but again, not serious. If these simple fixes don't fix it, I'd quit worrying about it unless it got worse.
  • rooslayerrooslayer Member Posts: 4
    edited October 2011
    Oops.
    not sure if the Escape we are talking about is the Mazda Tribute derivative but, I have one (2001 model) and the O/D light started to flash a few weeks ago.
    A week later I lost all transmission.
    Transmission fluid in radiator and coolant in transmission.
    I had a front end accident about a month before (hit a kangaroo) which necessitated a radiator repair.
    still trying to figure out if the smack from Skippy caused the failure or whether it was just deterioration (car has done 90,000 Km - 55,000 Miles).

I would not ignore the flashing O/D light knowing what I know now.
    Yep, the Escape IS the Mazda Tribute brother. And the OD light on most Fords is the clue that you have a transmission problem. If it starts to blink, failure is generally imminent. In your case, you may have saved had you not had the breech. The collision is very likely the cause, as this phenomenon is unusual, if not damn rare.
    edited October 2011
    Update.
    Insurer has assessed the transmission fail as related to the head-on with Skippy (but they did say they hadn't seen it before).
    Yay! Saved me heaps on the repair.
    Lesson here is, if you have any front end hit, get the entire cooling system checked. Damage looked fairly superficial, no warning lights came on, no fluid bleeding on the road - just losing a bit of coolant over time. I suspect a piece of grille plastic may have punctured radiator in just the right(ie wrong) spot.
    I only got about 200km (120 miles) out of it between the O/D light flashing intermittently and the cog-box giving up.
  • jcc11jcc11 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased 2009 Ford Escape XLT and have 5 days to keep or return. I already have a problem with the key not going into the ignition hole. It's like you have the wrong key. After moving the blinker lever up and down, the key went in. What's up with that?! There is also a small black stain on the seat which Carmax could not get out. The Carfax report history says something about a shift lever/assembly replaced, automatic transmission check, and battery/charging sytem/starter checked. Carmax says the Carfax report might not be correct info. Is that true?
    Carfax is horribly unreliable! They can only report what is reported to them. Lots of stuff never is, including accidents, frame damage, etc. You have to take Carfax with a grain of salt, tequila and a slice of lime. I run them, look at them, but don't rely on them. My son wrecked his Mustang 4 times, seriously, police reports each time, body shop fixed each time, insurance paid each time, NONE were reported on Carfax. So be very careful with Carfax.

On the key thing, could just need some graphite sprayed into the lock mechanism, or lock lubricant (NOT WD-40!). Or, based on the repairs noted, may be substandard work when the steering column was repaired.

I would personally, take this car back and try another one. I have 5 Escapes, none of them act like this.
    I find the ignition key a bit fiddly, usually trying to extract it.
    It likes the gear selector to be in "N" and sometimes you have to move it in and out of "N" to make it work.
    I also think that sometimes if there is pressure on the steering lock that can cause the ignition key to catch a bit.
    Is it time for the young fellow to buy a Cannondale F7 (ie a bicycle)? :):)
    Well.....simpler doesn't break as much. That's for sure. I think running a CARFAX is good, it does give you some history, and there is good info you can use there. You just can't "rely" on it for being at all complete. They can only report what they receive. Most used car dealers, when they retire, buy new. I've often asked them why, with all they know about used cars, and they tell me, that's eXACTLY why they buy new now! All they know. Now, having said that, I have bought a lot of used cars in my lifetime, and have had about as good luck with them as new ones, frankly. But you have to be careful, and there's a factor too about HOW used it is. A one or two year old used car isn't much of a risk. A 10 year old car is a total crapshoot. Better to buy a new Yaris than a 10 year old Avalon, I suppose.
  • greenmlgreenml Member Posts: 1
    Interestingly enough, I have a 2008 Ford Escape Limited and have lost 2nd and 4th gears also. The remedy is estimated to cost between $1,800 and $2,400. My extended Warranty expired 14,000 km ago. Since the warranty has expired, I have had to replace a fuel injector; 2 universal joints and now the transmission. I only drive this vehicle to and from work. I have never pushed or towed anything nor has it seen rough terrain. This is not at all what I would expect from a 3 year old vehicle at all. Makes me wonder what's coming next. I find it very disappointing. For the folks who do not see this as a reason to find an alternative to Ford; I don't get it. We pay premium hard earned $ for these vehicles. They are not disposable. I expect much more.