Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Escape Transmission Problems

13»

Comments

• babbs3babbs3 Member Posts: 50
    completely agree that a car should last much longer than 3 years (especially the trans.) It may not help to hear this but...this evening on the news it has finally been stated by some Ford owners that they are NOT satisfied with Ford quality when it comes to transmissions.We can only hope that Ford listens to us. To those that have no problems, I am truly happy for you but us that can't afford to buy or pay for repairs that should not be happening please hear us.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    As good as my Fords have generally been, especially my Escapes - I will admit, the biggest weakness Ford has, IMO, is the transmissions. Although, several of them are made by Aisan, a transmission manufacturer who sells the same units to GM, Ford and some Japanese manufacturers, the few problems I have had with Fords - have been the transmissions..... And I agree - when they fail, they fail too early.
    Thank you nvbanker for being honest. I feel you like Fords' but having tranny problems and at least saying so is refreshing. So many die hard folks act like it is no big thing to have problems with the trans. I am scared to even try a 3rd new car for fear I'll get that strange 6 auto trans. I really don't want to buy any more imports (I sadly did in the past) and felt guilty for it. I guess the Asian trans. is here to stay because not every single one fails so why should the auto makers stop using them. Now Chrysler has announced the use of a 8 speed auto. Who makes those? I don't know what to do about my next purchase or lease.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I don't know who Chrysler is going to use for that 8 speed, but since Fiat owns them now, it could be from anywhere. My Lexus has an 8 speed, but it's home grown I think, and not like your usual old gearbox, it's electric and only uses 2 quarts of fluid instead of gallons. I doubt Chrysler could afford to put those in their cars. I've owned several Chryslers, mostly minivans, and transmissions are the only thing I've had trouble with on those as well. Honda and Toyota have both had trouble with transmissions in the past, though they are slow to admit it. GM seems to do a little better, but they share the Aisan product that Ford uses in their front wheel drive models, and I dislike most GM products intensely. Still can't forgive them for the rubbish they made for decades and their 10 year behind technology. Well, I could go on, but let's just say, I dislike GM the most.

Guilt aside, what I have pretty much gone to is Ford trucks and SUVs, and Toyota cars....seems to serve me the best. Just leased a new Explorer for my wife, and LOVE the car much more than I thought I would. I have a work fleet of 7 cars, 4 Escapes, 1 Toyota Camry and 2 Chryslers. All doing pretty well, the Fords and Toyota are the best though. 2 of them are Hybrids. The Ford Hybrid system is the best by far. The Toyota Hybrid is slow, slow, slow and the Ford actually gets better mileage than the Toyota car.

Fact is, most cars on the road today are pretty good. Buy what you like, Hyundai has the best warranty, check Consumer Reports for weaknesses, and watch the 3 year old study JD Power does, and hope for the best. Stay away from Volkswagen, they are universally rated very poorly. :lemon: Best of luck!
  • confusedagainconfusedagain Member Posts: 2
    I myself keep getting the run around from everyone at all dealships. One mechanic says my transmission problems are due to one thing then the other says something else and so on. Ford needs to be brought back to reality. I have tried contacting everyone at the upper level and NO ONE will contact me back. I had email addresses for all of them and sent for the last 1 1/2 constant visit to the shops, changing when they told me to and the problems keep getting worse and the trips are more and more. I have a 2004 and have had constant problems since I bought it 2 1/2 years ago including the week I bought it they started. From electrical to transmission, and yet they keep the vehicle for weeks at a time and when I get if back they say there was anything ... how come you keep it that long and do all this work but there was nothing wrong. I could go on for ever about all the problems that are still wrong and even my extended warranty will not cover.... I have decided that no response means CONTACT AN ATTORNEY ( I will use the money I have been using to get it fixed on the attorney now) ALSO 8 ON YOUR SIDE TELEVISION STATION WILL ASSIST ME WITH THIS ONE!
  • jordan28jordan28 Member Posts: 1
    First, your dealer ripped you off big time. Flushes typically only cost around $150, if that. Second, I'm wondering how many people with transmission problems have V-6 engines, because even the Asians can't get V-6's to stop eating transmissions in FWD's(even Toyota Camrys have this problem). Third and ironically, my Fusion's sport transmission from Ohio is holding up fine, even though it starts slipping when the fluid gets over 30k mi on it(after a flush it stops). I found out when it was new that Ford stopped installing filters on their transmissions, and if these out-sourced transmissions are the same it could have a lot to do with it. For anyone looking to buy a car, NEVER buy a FWD car where the HP rating is near or exceeds 200hp. For 200+HP opt for AWD or RWD, it is what I did(V-6).
  • confusedagainconfusedagain Member Posts: 2
    I wish it was so simple but it has been... transmission slipping, radio stops then starts working, windows stop working then started, lights on the dashboard all coming on and then not, seatbelt mechanism not working, airbag relay broke, motor mounts, wheel hubs, clicking noise everytime I step on the brake (LOUD) they said is was suppose to do that - strange it never did it when I bought it then it started for months then just stopped and then started again recently, power steering pump, engine races when you let off the gas peddle... I know there is more just cant think of it all. I think that it is enough really since most of this started shortly after I bought it from a dealership and I have been told several things for each item as to why.... but funny they keep it for weeks at a time but say nothing wrong and it comes back with something fixed. :lemon:
  • fedup27fedup27 Member Posts: 1
    When putting my cruise on going up a hill at times, the engine starts to rev up, the 2009 escape doesn't go any faster, the rpms go up to 4000 to 5000 and won't get out of it until I put the escape back into park. I tried putting it into neutral when on a busy highway and then back into drive but nothing worked. I have taken it in to the dealer 2 times and they can't find anything. They questioned why I put it in neutral and I said to try and get the rpms down since my vehicle never goes over 3000 rpm even when I step on it. This time, I didn't take the cruise off, I left it go on and on for about three miles and finally the check engine light came on. Even when I slowed down to exit the interstate, the rpms didn't move like they should. I left the cruise off the hour ride home and drove 60 miles and hour without any problems until after I left my sister off, putting the vehicle into drive, it jerked. I only live three blocks from her with a 25 mph speed limit. I stepped on the gas, rpms went way up again and I had to lift off the gas in order for it to shift, then pulling into my drive it didn't want to move much but I did get it into the garage. Anyone else had this problem?????
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Toyota introduced a new "real time" ATF line pressure control technique in the early RX300 models. The new design yielded a quite significant improvement in FE but (apparently) inadvertently included a very serious design flaw. The FE gain was great enough that the new design was widely adopted before the design flaw was publicly exposed, "discovered".

Toyota, after several attempts at fixing the flaw, finally settled on DBW(RX330) as a final fix. Prevent the engine from rising in torque until a re-acceleration downshift could be accomplished/completed.

The suggestion of opting for AWD, F/awd, is a non-starter.

The use of the brakes for traction control on FWD provides a serious level of safety but with a TON of stress on the driveline components with both engine drive and braking engaged simultaneously. Basically the reason the engine is also INSTANTLY dethrottled simultaneous with braking actuation.

It is very well know that have both front and rear drives engaged simultaneously on tractive surfaces is detrimental to driveline component life cycles. While always of relatively short duration, front AND rear drives only used under low speed acceleration, in the long term that always adds up to premature driveline component failure.

So adding F/awd, and the associated inadvertent additional driveline stress, to an already flawed transaxle design only exacerbates the failure rate. Look at the transaxle failure rate for early F/awd RX300, the F/awd version of the Escape/Mariner, and the entire life period of the MDX as examples.
    Why would you engage the cruise on an uphill run?

For myself I would be initially engaging

My practice in that case, more often practice, is to disallow the engagement of OD.

My guess is that one of the clutches involved in the highest non-OD gear selection is marginal and begins slipping with a sudden application and simultaneous need for reasonable high torque transfer.
  • lyncarlyncar Member Posts: 2
    I had your exact electrical problem - it is the ignition. Just replace it and electrical problems go away - or when you are turning your key on, after it is on just slightly nudge the key back so it rests against the resistance. The problem is that the ignition is telling the starter to keep starting and starting... and your electrical thinks the car is about to start so it pauses.
  • lyncarlyncar Member Posts: 2
    Yesterday, while driving into town in a severe cold snap (-40 Welcome to Canada), 2004 Escape suddenly revved very high. It wouldn't do the shift into 3rd (though it had already been there). I initially thought something had froze up, but that's not the problem. Husband went to pull it apart thinking the bands needed to be adjusted?? But he says it's a nightmare underthere and he can't even get to the transmission filter. Advise please!
  • tdd281tdd281 Member Posts: 1
    My trans just went on my 2008 Ford Escape XLT 4x4 V6.....at 107 k miles. $3000 to fix. My first FORD....and my LAST. I feel for ya! In fact you want to know what happened to my car when this happened....my car started shaking, screeching...and accelerating at high speeds and would not shift into park, I nearly caused an accident. I have never towed crap with this vehicle, I use it for small road trips and driving to work. I still owe one more year of payment as well. This happened on my birthday last week, happy birthday to me right?! I so loved my Escape, at least now it will have a REAL trans in it MADE IN AMERICA, NOT MEXICO!
    edited January 2012
    ATF level slightly low?

At -40 the volume might be unusually low, once the clutch "pistons" are filled with ATF there's not enough left in the sump.

For quite a number of years now factory fill levels, ATF fill, have been "just enough". Extreme cold may not have been in the plans. Warm up idle for a few minutes before driving..?
    Sorry to tell you but I don't think you are going to get an american trans. I am also not impressed with Ford's trans. (had a 2010 and now a 2011) and there is no chance that Ford hears us. One reason is the dealers do not always report the problems to Ford directly. The other reason is all the advertising that Ford does they sell enough to cover up the % of bad problems. As long as we buy em and the car experts do not expose the true facts, it will remain the same. I can't believe that if a 2008 trans. went out just how long will the 2011 or 2012 last. I too will be looking for other auto choices.
  • fwhayesfwhayes Member Posts: 1
    Well I hope so.... My 2005 Ford Escape is doing the same thing right at 45 mph. I had a Honda Civic were I actually replaced the tranny twice and got rid of it to escape other issues. I just got this car and I can't deal with this same issue again. Please tell me something. I need to know because this vibrating is making me nervous. Do you think a flush will help?
  • scooter5111scooter5111 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a used (fleet) '08 Escape XLT w/52K on the odometer from one of those big chain dealerships who have prices set w/no haggling on the price.
    I thought the noticeable shifting was "normal" and not objectionable to me :)
    About 6 weeks into my relationship with this vehicle, the tranny started shifting a lot harder :confuse: then:..... it started slipping :surprise: I thought I got ripped off :mad: After mulling it over; I gave the dealer the benefit of the doubt because they deal with such large volumes and the fact that these problems are apparently so common; the sales person may not have known the harsh shifts were not "normal".
    After some research: I discovered the drive-line is still covered for 5 years or 60K miles regardless of the chain of custody. ;)
    I took the vehicle to a reputable Ford dealer where they discovered a certain, internal part had failed. They ordered the part, however: the part was not in stock and they had no idea of when they would get more. The dealer contacted some higher-ups at Ford and arraigned to have a NEW complete tranny shipped from the factory!
    I now have a brand new tranny in my '08 Escape.
    It appears that heat is the main culprit in these early failures, so: my new tranny is getting a new cooler to help extend it's life span.
    I don't know if luck or perseverance is why I got a new tranny, FREE OF CHARGE; but I have to give Ford Motor Company, and a great dealership, a lot of credit and appreciation for their efforts in addressing and fixing my '08 Escape.
    Driving this appealing vehicle is a much better experience now that it shifts more like a Lincoln than a truck!!!
    OMG good for you. Why can't all the Ford dealers perform this way? There are so many people (inc. me) that are so angry at Ford for treating us like fools when we complain or try to get these horrible transmissions properly fixed. I have a 2011 Escape and due to it being leased I have not gone back to the dealer because of the abuse I took with my 2010 Fusion (sold it back to them). The people who aren't having problems are lucky. Have you noticed the new Ford ads are pushing the Edge, the F150, and the SEL Fusion only? The 5% drop in Ford sales for Feb., I think, is due to the trans. problems. Of course we will never know for sure. Again, I am happy you got a new transmission, just keep your eyes and ears at attention with the new unit.
  • jbojojbojo Member Posts: 1
    similar issue for me; i have a 2005 Ford Escape 4WD. Have not had one problem in 5 years until now. I too feel a vibration when i start out and it gets bad until i accelerate through 35mph.

Has anyone had this issue and know what it is? I had all the obvious like cv, drive shafts checked and my mechanic told me everything was good and tight!
  • 2010escape2010escape Member Posts: 2
    I have my car at the dealers to install a second new transmission in 31,000 miles. The dealer has no idea why this car is destroying the transmission. Any ideas. How do I get Ford to extend the warranty since there is obviously a problem somewhere.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited May 2012
    You could contact Ford and ask them to open a case for you. Maybe they'll have a tech inspect your Escape. Maybe there's something in their records that hasn't trickled down to the dealers yet.

But I doubt that they'll do anything to extend the warranty since you have a 5/60 drivetrain warranty. What I would do is keep track of your receipts and your complaints and take it to the dealer for service until it does run out of warranty. Then if you have more problems with it, maybe you can get Ford to cover it.

The Secret Warranty - Understanding After Warranty Assistance

If it fails out of warranty and Ford won't cover it, your receipts and complaints may help if you go to small claims or your local consumer protection agency for some sort of implied warranty claim.
  • albert9515albert9515 Member Posts: 1
    Wow, my wife and I were actually feeling guilty about filing a lemon law suit against Ford. But after reading some of these posts it is obvious that we are doing the right thing. Our Transmission started to slam into gear, even at high speed i.e. freeway driving. When I took the vehicle to Ford, I was promptly asked about my driving habits, do I come to a complete stop before taking off. When I mentioned it happened at high speed they then said they needed to re-key the chip in the transmission, but the problem continued. There is also a vibration that comes from the front drive axle, thought it was the cv boot or the oil pan, but was told that a part no specifics was needed and it was on order. It has been over two months. No more Fords for this family.
  • bill380bill380 Member Posts: 1
    My 2009 escape downshifts while in cruise when going down hills. the dealer said this condition is normal and nothing is wrong. this does not make sense to me. I never had a car that downshifted in cruise when going 70 mph down hill.
    Historically most CC systems will only retard the engine timing if the car starts to overspeed a few miles above setpoint.

But now we have this new full fuel cut technique to extend FE, engine FULLY starved of fuel during coastdown periods. If the gas pedal, even in CC, reaches the point of being fully released. At that point the transaxle will begin to be downshifted to keep the engine turning over above stall RPM.

Fraught with peril in a FWD or F/awd IMMHO.
  • calguy1calguy1 Member Posts: 1
    Don't feel bad at all....I have considering the same. I have a 2010 Ford Escape and it is in the shop for its 3rd transmission!!! This after my 2007 Ford Fusion's transmission blew up 1,500 miles past the warranty - was actually stranded 250 miles from home and got towed to a Ford dealer....which is where I got this Ford. Wished I would have gotten towed to a Chevy dealer!!! I am looking into filing a lemon law claim myself....any guidance?
  • shadescapesshadescapes Member Posts: 21
    Sure- have everyone of your receipts- that show you bought the vehicle new- have taken it back to the selling dealer- they can't fix your suspected problem in 3 tries

everything else falls into the catorgory of you and your dealer aren't comunicating properly

so many crybabies- so few of ducumented cases where the dealer you bought your new vehicle from can't or won't fix your suspected defects to the point it is a defect in manufacturing- meaning- a factual documented case where you have one that doesn't perform/is bad/ isn't like what is manufactured
  • rosemary9rosemary9 Member Posts: 1
    Hi bill380

I was researching the 2009 Mercury Mariner, as my mother was looking to purchase a used one, and nearly did yesterday. That came to a complete halt when I came across a post on fordforumsonline.com re: 2009 - 2010 Ford Escape and Mercury Mariner + Fusion etc Customer Satisfaction Program 10b15-r10b15-1.pdf. In short Ford will reprogram the tranny and replace all parts includng clutch and anything else the tranny caused problems for.

Entire link below:
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&cad=rja&ved=0CGAQ- FjAF&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fordforumsonline.com%2Fforum%2Fattachments%2Fford-esca- pe%2F354-customer-satisfaction-program-10b15-r10b15-1-.pdf&ei=buHJUMGCJMfeiAL5nI- CgAg&usg=AFQjCNFAQyRncbhsgdef08vnksI-gA61oA&bvm=bv.1355325884,d.cGE

The dealership that I sent this too said they came up with a blank page and couldn't get to it. Hope you have better luck. I also hope this info is not reaching you too late.

Rosemary9
    Try this one. It's a pdf file.
  • loumasonloumason Member Posts: 1
    I have a 03 escape 3.0 4wd. the problem i'm having is with the transmission. The truck works in all gears but drive. it wont engage in drive from the start. But i'm able to shift it into drive if i start out in 1st then 2nd and move it into Drive then it drives fine. From my understanding the filter is located in the transmission case and not in the pan, Is this true? i just picked this up and planed to replace the transmission anyway, but i dont want to waste money if i dont have to... Also do i have to replace the torque converter if i put in used transmission or rebuild it myself..
    thanks for any help you can give.....
    Also the o/d light will start flashing once i get upto 50mph.
    And no i'm not getting any transmission codes.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "Sure- have everyone of your receipts- that show you bought the vehicle new- have taken it back to the selling dealer- they can't fix your suspected problem in 3 tries "

Not sure of other states, but for accuracy, the Lemon Law in California only applies if you bought the car new, and within one year you had the vehicle in three times for the same problem, or the car was out of service for 30 days. It does not apply after that first year, or with a used car.
    Some states require as many as 5 trips and even if you win, the dealer may get one more try to fix it. Lemon laws need work. And they don't usually don't apply if you buy your car out of state. But there's always your local consumer protection agency or AG's office or your personal attorney could probably do a failure of warranty kind of claim.
  • gpetrosgpetros Member Posts: 2
    hi guys i hv 2002 ford escape automatic wit 184k on cloak my promblem is it wont drive if i put th gear in D,1or 2 .it wil only reverse if i pt into R.i did an oil change smetime last year and i thnk i hv dne close t 10k since th.my uneducated ws it could b tht it needs another oil change bt i undrstand th filter is right inside th gearbox.ws wondering also if its possible t do a flush without openin th transmission.pliz smeone help.
  • printerman1printerman1 Member Posts: 68
    yes, we here in Canada have had a lot of problems with tranny! mostly huge clunk sound when changing from 1 to 2nd. I am still trying to find the 6th gear.
  • peddle831peddle831 Member Posts: 1
    Replaced solenoid pack in my 02 ford escape v6 said replace rad too spent 1400 o/d light flashing everything fixed runs great week later same problem towed it back to shop test drove it no slips no took it home Trans started to skip on highway o/d light flashing again everything same as before shut it off started back up no lights ran fine drove back to shop check engine light came on started to skip again o/d flashing read code p1744 shop says needs new granny but I drove it home fine what's going on?
  • hrtoglss75hrtoglss75 Member Posts: 1
    my friend just had her tranny die on hers, and I went to the page you said Rosemary9 and yes the page is blank, but then there is a pop up with the info its 7 pages long. I printed it out for my friend so they don't give her a hard time about not coming up. thank you, I hope this helps.
  • printerman1printerman1 Member Posts: 68
    most tranny or other engine parts give indication before stopping or dieing. If its not in Ford's system about screwups, they will ignore you. Or as my experience, 'we have never heard of that happening before', till you get on the web.
  • gelecegelece Member Posts: 1
    hi

i have a problem with my mariner lincoln 2010 same you...

fixed problem you ?

thank for you help!!!!
  • carolina10carolina10 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased this 35 days ago and the transmission is now gone. Would the dealer have known there was a problem when they sold it to me? Is there a way to cover up a problem like this? The transmission went out all at once, fine one day, gone the next.
  • cannorth35cannorth35 Member Posts: 1
    I have an intermittent problem with our 2012 Escape Ltd on start up. The transmission will not shift out of park and as another symptom the radio display will show the radio is on but no volume. Similarly, the fan speed display will show I am increasing / decreasing the fan speed but the fan does not work. Seems all very strange for seemingly unrelated functions. The temporary fix I have found is to turn off the vehicle, open and close the car door and restart the vehicle. Much like rebooting a computer, not the way to fix your vehicle problem. Ford Service folks where not able to identify this problem but then it is intermittent and may only occur 1 - 3 times in a couple of months.
  • gpetrosgpetros Member Posts: 2
    Hi i have a ford escape 2002 with 180k on clock.one day it couldnt drive it could only reverse.i opened th pump side of gearbox the forward friction and steel plates were burnt.the band had snaped on one side,the ban servo had worn out and the drum ws chewed up.i replaced all this including the pump which i suspected wasnt functioning wel which could hve caused the al ths.bt after al this trouble the car wont drive forward or reverse either someone hinted tht it could be a bad torque converter.i removed an oil pipe tht runs from th gearbox to radiator when th car is runnin and warmed up bt thy is oil cmin out frm th gear which makes me suspect tht th converter may b worn out.pliz hs anyone cme across ths problem an insight wil be welcome.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,948
    Am thinking of buying one in the morning. Should I be worried here??? Should I go through with this purchase or just hold off here? It is slightly used, 1830 miles, so almost like new. Love it and the color but just not sure as have heard horror stories about Fords. Not sure if I could actually live with one but I really really like it...a lot! So folks, yes or no!!!
    Sorry for the short notice here.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Drove two different Escape SE's this week and one was great while the other was lousy. Think both had the larger 2.5 engine but the first was super loud and the second was pretty quiet though both had substantial road noise at speed...those mirrors are probably to blame, not too aerodynamic at all. The 2nd felt much more comfortable but it did have the nicer leather seats...come to think of it, the 2nd one could've been an SEL model to be honest with ya. Still glad I didn't buy the SE with the 1.6 turbo engine last month...nice enough vehicle but a bit too large for me and hated the engine and after reading the consumer reviews, was very glad. They did try to get me to come back though, mighty hard, but I had already bought my current vehicle by that time. I don't buy often and take my prep time but when I am ready to pull the trigger...I am ready! And I usually only give ya one try to get me to open my wallet so any sales person needs to do an outstanding job or I just walk. And it's always nice to be in the position where one doesn't really have to buy at that moment...and that's the point I was at, if it happened...great and if not...great also! Best way to purchase after one has done their due diligence and gathered all their information. We all should make an informed decision since these kind of large purchases are kept for awhile...usually. For some silly reason though, my wife thinks my new 2014 Tuscon will be gone within a short number of years for some reason. I love it so far except the low gas mileage but this should improve with more miles on the clock...hopefully!

_The Sandman :)B) _

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• perpetual1perpetual1 Member Posts: 1
    can 2005 ford escape hybrid be converted to normal transmission?"
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098

can 2005 ford escape hybrid be converted to normal transmission?"

No. It requires the CVT for the hybrid parts to function.
  • mikejdunphymikejdunphy Member Posts: 1
    my wifes 2014 escape with 70,000 miles has the transmission acting up. Dealer said it needs to be replaced and torn apart to the tune of $6000. Fords transmissions are junk never buy a Ford again.
    edited November 2015
    The Focus auto tranny is crap also and though the 2015 is not as bad, that stumbling issue is still there. Would never ever ever buy a Ford product even though I almost got a 2014 Escape before the wife said "no way in hell" would there ever be a Ford product in our garage. That auto tranny stumbling issue is something I've never felt in any other vehicle to the extent that the Ford's do it and working for Hertz, I drive a whole mess of Ford products especially Foci...our sister office is in the Ford dealership and we hear so many complaints and a high majority of renters swap out of their Foci within a day or two. Many even request on their reservations "no Focus or Fiesta"...so it's not only an issue I have. Do a "google search" on the topic and see what's out there. Have no clue why Ford can not get this issue right!
    And before folks start jumping on me here, I know all manufacturer's have issues but this one is a pretty serious one and can be a safety hazard when a vehicle will not accelerate properly to merge into traffic or just get up and go. Our couple of Lincoln's were nice vehicles, our 1966 and 1972, very nice vehicles which we loved. Our 1972 Ford Torino Sport was a problem from day 1 with the high compression engine...who buys a new car and it has to be towed back to the dealership not even 5 miles away? An issue from day 1 that was never truly resolved by Ford, they just basically threw up their hands and said "too bad" once the warranty was up. They sure did try to fix things before then but at 36001 on the clock, they basically said " [non-permissible content removed]! Thus after that treatment, we never ever would spend a nickel in their stores. We were scarred for life and no other member of our family ever bought a Ford product after that, immediate family and cousins!

The Sandman :@ :(B)

• trainmom60trainmom60 Member Posts: 1
    So driving home from work last Tuesday 2008, Escape about 100,000miles, I noted that the care seemed to be hesitating the RPM was higher than normal. As I was driving the wrench showed up on the dashboard, stopped at automotive place they connected under the dashboard and it read Gear 2 Incorrect Ratio...so I have spent most of the day reading what this means. I had many suggestions most about changing the transmission fluids, mine looks clean nothing floating in it. Anyone have any idea what kind of cost I could be looking at or idea of what this means, seems pretty soon for a new transmission, I don't drive crazy no a 4wd off road stuff. Looking for any ideas, or past experiences?
  • locomotionlocomotion Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Ford Escape XLT V6 automatic Transmission. I have been experiencing rough shifts on this vehicle for some time. When the dealership looked at it they could find no problem. This morning while going to work the vehicle surged while trying to shift into high gear. It failed to go into the higher gear and was running at 3000 to 3500 rpm while running at 55 mph. The wrench light on the dash also came on at this time. We pulled off the highway, and shut the vehicle off and restarted it, started to drive away and again the wrench light came on while trying to go into the high gear. It made no difference in the rpm whether the Overdrive button was pushed in or not.. We drove it home, my wife was driving, and I hooked up my scanner to the car and could find no codes. We drove my 2005 Dodge Ram to work. After getting home from work I checked the transmission fluid, it was normal. I took the car for a test drive and it would shift from low to second if I lifted the accelerator for a second. It would not shift into high gear and again the wrench came on. I cannot afford a NEW or Rebuilt Transmission, not for what I paid for this vehicle. Any suggestions?