Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford F-Series 4x4 Problems

Comments

• plowguy3plowguy3 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1980 f250 4x4 that I use for snow plowing,and I would like to change the front axle to a dana 44 straight axle. Has anyone done this? What year front axle did you use, pitman arm, and or steering box? any help would be greatly appreciated
  • hj25wmnyhj25wmny Member Posts: 3
    not sure if you found the answer to your problem but i will post anyhow. make sure you don't have to pop the covers off the front hub caps. on my f250 there was hub caps on it and the centers of the hub caps popped off to gain access to the manual lock outs. GL . Ben
  • rummelrummel Member Posts: 2
    I have no power at my 4x4 switch. I can manually put it in four wheel by taking the
    electric motor off the transfer case and turning the knob on the transfer case and locking in the front axle actuerator. All my fuses are good, where do I go from here? I got a feeling its this thing called a generic electronic module where is it.
  • dfortmandfortman Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem. Did you find a solution?
  • rummelrummel Member Posts: 2
    No as of yet I have not but i did learn there are some sort of shift plates in the electric motor that tells the computer what position the motor is in so then the computer will know how to shift, if the computer can't read it it will not respond. I put a new motor on mine and nothing happened so i took the motor back now i find out you have to reset the computer so it will respond i read you can just unhook the battery to reset it i have to wait to get some money before i try again. Let me know what happens if you get to it before i do.
  • pennywise3pennywise3 Member Posts: 1
    hey my 150 has the same problem what it is after find it out of course the fork in the shaft that connects ur axle's to the gear is probably worn down to the point wheres its not making contact have it checked thats all my problem was.... kinda pissed the dealership didnt tell me about it but appearently its a big problem with fords
  • monosamonosa Member Posts: 2
    does anyone know if you can manually disconnect the 4 wheel drive, mine is stuck and will not disengage and I can only drive 35 miles an hour. I do not need the 4 wheel drive it has been nothing but problems.thanks
  • monosamonosa Member Posts: 2
    thanks for the info, is there a price range that you know of for this, my budget is very low and if i can do this I would prefer.
  • stugatsstugats Member Posts: 3
    Would you happen to also have an owners manual for an 88 F150 320 automatic? ;)
  • dbweaverdbweaver Member Posts: 88
    Remove the front driveshaft
  • conertconert Member Posts: 1
    05 F-250 super duty 6L diesel. When I have the AC on and then switch to 4X4 the air flow leaves the AC vent and goes to the Defrost vent. The only way to make it go back to the AC vent is shift back to 2 wheel drive turn the engine off and restart the engine
    I had the same problem with my '99 F250 with automatic locking hubs. Are you sure the hubs are locking? Mine stopped working on auto, I haven't had any more trouble with the A/C but I have to lock my hubs manually when I want 4 wheel drive.
    There is a big yellow O-ring on the bearing assembly that makes the seal for the vacuum. You can take the bearing assembly off clean it real good, replace the O-ring and that will fix it for a while. If you use your truck off road alot it won't last long. I suppose it don't take much dust or dirt to break the seal of the vacuum.
    I personally would rather get out and lock my hubs as to change those O-rings again! Good luck
  • countryrodneycountryrodney Member Posts: 1
    i have the 98 module 4x4 f-150 and i am having the same problem well mine is a little worse my power windows, interior lights windsheild wipers door ajar alarm and stuff like thats not working so i took it to the shop and they told me it was the general electric module it is located to the left of your steering wheel above your fuse box you have to remove a few things to get to it but the dealership told me that sometimes you can tap on it and it will start working again but if not you have to just replace the part the taping on it thing didnt work for me so i ordered one and it will run you about 285 dollars plus tax ill keep posting to let you know if it works out like it supposed to
  • carrvixcarrvix Member Posts: 1
    My 04 250 wants to switch into 4wd when going down the road as the other poster wrote it looses ac presure and starts to jurk because it is trying to switch into 4wd How or what do i do to keep it from doing this or what is it that needs to be replaced??
  • aubreynaubreyn Member Posts: 1
    Mine does it sometime and sometimes not. Did today after I could not get the Driver side hub to movve from free to locked. Bang on and never budges. But it does the A/C to defrost all the time in 4wd. Is the O-Ring cheap? Was glad to hear someone else has had this weird issue.
  • drivin1998drivin1998 Member Posts: 1
    my 1998 ford f150 4wd wont engage any info or advise would be helpful
  • south_gaboysouth_gaboy Member Posts: 2
    i have a 1997 f-150 4x4 and everything engages but my front wheels will not turn any thoughts?
  • south_gaboysouth_gaboy Member Posts: 2
    check all ur fuses in the panel box
  • bodyman09bodyman09 Member Posts: 1
    my 99 f-150 4x4 4.6 auto stalls when u stop. scannd it an had no trans codes so i replaced the tcc soleniod an torque converer.still have the same problem.now i have 3 trans codes. 1.pressure soleniod short circut. 2.shift soleniod b 3.tcc soleniod should i change them?
  • buckrack8buckrack8 Member Posts: 1
    My front won't lock in. I have manual hubs. Front drive shaft turns but wheels won't engage. Which wheel should I look at?
  • rwlayrwlay Member Posts: 3
    1999 F-250 won't shift into low range, hi range works fine
  • rwlayrwlay Member Posts: 3
    Dummy,
    Apply brake while in neutral!!!
  • chrisv2618chrisv2618 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2006 ford that will not go into 4x4. i check all fuses and they all look good. there is a indicator light on the dash that stated thats its in. i can hear it engage but the front tires wont spin. i hear a clicking noise when the rear tires spin.
  • cephus1cephus1 Member Posts: 1
    I have F-350 Dually, 7.3 Diesel 4X4

I am in Buffalo, NY. I used my 4X4 High to maneuver through snow yesterday. The temp was 18 degrees with lake affect snow and blowing wind. After getting home, I tried to turn off the 4X4 shift on the fly, nothing happened. So I read the book and followed it and nothing. So, I then placed it into 4X4 Low Range, it locked in, dash light is on. I believe my transfer case is locked in Low Range. Because I stated sliding while trying to get the 4X4 to unlock. So I got out and locked my front hubs and I had tracking to the front. What is going on? I am afraid to drive it to the dealer as I am in 4X4 Low Range and can't get the transfer case to disengage. :mad:
  • mstrm3mstrm3 Member Posts: 2
    i had the same problem with my 250 sd... in the middle of the 4x4 low and hi points on your stick theres a neutral. put your truck in drive and just drift. put pressure on your 4x4 stick until you slip into neutral. stop your truck, put it in park, and turn it off. from there you should be able to put in 4x4 hi or 2x4
  • mstrm3mstrm3 Member Posts: 2
    or just put your automatic shifter in neutral and you should be able to shift your 4x4 shifter
  • highboy1977highboy1977 Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2004 f150 with 5.4l there is no engine light on but it acts like a carburated flat spot.i have no idea what could be causing this
  • whitemfoxwhitemfox Member Posts: 6
    My 96 Ford 150 charges just fine until I turn the heator or lights on then it discharges the battery., but if I shut them off the battery charges rigth back up now the strange thing is when I shut it off and if I leave the battery connected it drains theg battery dead but if I disconnect the battery cable and hook it back when I am ready to go it will fire right up.. I am confussed by that part of it
  • highboy1977highboy1977 Member Posts: 2
    Sounds like you have short or bare wire some where in your electrical system.I use to have a 97 that the dome light was always on that drained the battery ,it something to do with the third door.
  • f350manf350man Member Posts: 2
    can any one help me \. I have a 2004 f350 4x4 can,t get my 4x4 to engage not getting power to anything. heard something about a part called the GEM.
  • f350manf350man Member Posts: 2
    wondering if you solved your problem. cuz i have the same thing happening to me on my 04/f350
  • bkakam22bkakam22 Member Posts: 1
    I have a similar problem with my 06. with 17K miles, they replaced the 4x4 "electronic motor selector" to make it work. I used it about a month ago before a snow to ensure it worked. I tried it yesterday and it doesn't make any noise and will not change out of 2H. I checked my local dealship. Motor system is $150.00, Another $150.00 to repair. If you find out any different, let me know please.
  • frog12frog12 Member Posts: 3
    Well Folks, This issue has been present on my F-350 '03, '05 shtbed & '05 longbed. An engineering flaw that is keeping dealers in business with the recent economic dump. It seems to me that somewhere along the line Ford would have researched the problem. I had a similar problem with my 2000...that was built and having problems long before the others were made. I have been a Ford man for 60 years...that may change SOON!!
  • prostreet2prostreet2 Member Posts: 2
  • prostreet2prostreet2 Member Posts: 2
    I HAVE A 08 SD F250 4X4 DIESEL CREW CAB.
    THE 4X4 IS NOT WORKING, THE DASH LIGHTS COME ON (4X4HIGH)
    (4X4LOW) IT SEAMS TO WORK A LITTLE IN REVERSE BUT STOPS QUICKLY.
    THERE IS A BUZZING NOISE AT THE PUMP DRIVERS SIDE FENDER
    ANY IDEAS ? THANKS
  • tla316tla316 Member Posts: 2
    I can't engage my 4wd on my truck, anybody having the same problem?
  • tla316tla316 Member Posts: 2
  • hunterfisherhunterfisher Member Posts: 1
    hey i have a 95 f150 and my 4x4 will not work. the hubs lock and the indicator lights go on when u push the button in the truck but there is still no power to the front tires. i am looking for any help or info on the problem cause im stumped.
  • roadhog1roadhog1 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2010
    I have this 2001, 7.3 deisel 4x4 8ft bed 1 ton F350 king cab this yr.in 2010 febuary I tried to use it and it sounded like it engaged but really did not , now this was after 10 yrs. & the 4x4 quit working , I engaged it once or twice every month religously . I know they say that if you dont use it you lose it . So what can the problem be . Is it broke or does it need a new electronic shifter computer board / module / :confuse: chip or what ever its called
    I think it was about $5.00 that was several years ago though.
  • gstaplesgstaples Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 f-150 4x4 4.6 automatic. 4x4 activated by stick on the floor.Sometimes when driving down the road a loud clunk can be heard under the truck and then the 4x4 light comes on.This has happened twice and now the light will not go out.Can anyone help with this problem?
    Thank you
  • nikia_mmnikia_mm Member Posts: 4
    I have '94 F 150 that back fires and has barely no power when the mass air flow sensor is attached. Without the mass air flow sensor it has more power can anyone explain any suggestions. This is the second system I have put on.
  • apollo12apollo12 Member Posts: 1
    I have a similar problem my hubs want to stay locked in like my vacum will not stop pulling a vacum that is what engages the hubs. Does anyone on this site know what to check to see why the pump is still pulling a vacum?
  • cool_chris26cool_chris26 Member Posts: 1
    i jus recently bought a 2000 f150 and when i test drove it everything was fine...i switched it into 4x4 and no problems....i used it today and once i took it out of 4x4 the light stayed on...it acts as if its out of 4x4 but when you hit 60-70ish it seems like it may be riding kinda hard as if its partially in 4x4(dont sound right to me...either in or out is what i think) could that be as little as a sensor or does anyone know of more of a problem and with it being on can i be causing long term damage or a costly repair? if possible please reply to this at cool_chris26@yahoo.com....that is my email and ill get the response much faster...thanks in advance
  • tones1tones1 Member Posts: 2
    My vechile doesn't total disengage out of 4WD and so at 50MPH+ I have a lot of vibration in the front wheels as if I was in 4WD. A dealer had trouble pin pointing the problem and finally told me I need a new shift motor. I tried by an after market one and the store cross ref the ford# and wanted to sell me a 4WD Actuator. It appears to work of vacuum but I don't think this is the same as the shift motor. Can someone tell me what the shift motor looks like and where it is located on the truck.
    mileage = 102K
  • brencoastbrencoast Member Posts: 1
    No power to the 4X4 switch.
  • lionscottlionscott Member Posts: 1
    Just discovered the same problem with my 2002 F-150 Super Crew yesterday....4"snow with ice under, moved switch on dash to 4wd High but back end was still stuck on the ice and fish-tailing. Front trans did not engage... plan on taking to garage Monday but would like to know what may be the problem to shorten the time I spend there.
  • crelrodcrelrod Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problems with my 2007 f-250. I just called ford customer care because my 4 wheel not engaging caused me to have an accident. They are sending to legal and I was told that before a recall on this issue can be made everyone having this issue needs to call them and complain. Their number is 1-800-392-3673. Hope this helps everyone.
  • icemaanicemaan Member Posts: 1
    Lately when I pull the lever to go in 4 weel the light shows engaged but it isn't. Has anyone had this problem
  • tonyaf150tonyaf150 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for sharing, I will be calling them tomorrow. Just had my 2004 4x4 Lariat fixed because their was a rattling noise when I accelerated on the freeway or high speeds. They said it was my 4x4 but it was caused because of a leveling kit on it. Obviously this isn't the case since I noticed the noise shortly after putting the new tires on and I guess they did a leveling kit. I didn't notice it before because I never drove with the windows down and the music was always on. Anyways, so sorry to hear about your accident, hope everyone was ok. I am bummed to hear all about these issues because I have had really good luck with my truck and love it. Thank goodness I had the extended warranty.