Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Sebring Starting and Stalling Problems

Comments

• brat1029brat1029 Member Posts: 2
    :cry::cry:
    I have 2001 Sebring (and I love my car) conv. she has been great!! I bought it used, with 24k miles on it. I've only had to replace the starter after some idtiot tried to give me a jump with a jump start box and fried it, after he tried to jump start my car, he shorted out the started and it kept blowing fuses.

Thurs (last) I was driving down the road and stopped for gas, while I was idling waiting in line for the gas, my car started to idle rough. I filled the tank got back on the road, my power stearing started to make an odd sound, I hear a pop, the check engine light came on, and my car died.. I rolled onto the shoulder and when I tried to restart the car, all I got was click click click - nothing else.

My mechanic can't figure it out, he thinks it maybe the computer - any thoughts prior to me spending over a grand a computer if that may not be the probelm?? I really need some help please -

Thanks,
    Eva
  • jmousiejmousie Member Posts: 1
    Hello,We put in a new fuel pump.It has very good spark.And of course no codes.If I understand it correctly,if the crank or cam sensor is bad there will not be any fuel presure or spark.We are stumped could someone please help us with some advise.Thank You John
  • stande2stande2 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I am new to this site and this is my first post. I have recently purchased a 95 sebring with only 101000 kms on it. it starts fine and has never stalled on me, but when it heats up and im going 30-40 kms and press the gas pedal the rpm's drop down from 2500 to 1000 and then climb back up 5-10 seconds after. The engine light also comes on soon after this happens and i cant drive an hour without the light coming on or the car doing this. it is cold where i live and when the car is running cold it doesnt seem to do this. Car idle's fine and other than this problem runs good. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. - i really dont think its the transmission it seems to be more of a fuel or electrical issue.

thanks in advance
  • 1997lxi1997lxi Member Posts: 2
    1997 sebring lxi will crank over but has difficulty starting, especially if the car has been driven long trip (20 minutes), engine turned off, then attempt to restart within 5 minutes. It has sometimes lost all power resetting my clock but I turn ignition key off, the on again and it will crank and eventually start. Once it starts car idles fine and runs fine. I have changed spark plugs, rotor, distributor cap. Not sure where to go from here. Has anyone experienced similar problem. Considering first changing crankshaft sensor then possibly distributor if that doesn't work. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
  • billg13billg13 Member Posts: 4
    I was going to suggest the distributor or the Crankshaft position sensor but your comment about "losing all power, resetting the clock", is confusing the situation. This sounds more like an electrical problem with possible even the battery, batter cables or wiring. If the battery is old, I would change it anyway.

However, you may want to read this forum. I started the post and it has about 50 replies.
    http://www.sebringclub.net/board/viewtopic.php?t=9682&highlight=billg13
  • naji07naji07 Member Posts: 2
    I bought my 2007 Chrysler Sebring brand new and it will be a year old on March 28th. Within the past 2 months my car has been stalling on me while I am stopped at a red light or in rush hour traffic. Most recently while going 40 mph on a highway where it just shut down. I have taken my car to the dealership 3 times now and the first 2 times I was told there was nothing wrong with it and that they couldn't get it to duplicate my problems. The last time I was there, the dealership said that something came back on the diagnostic test and they replaced an "environmental filter" not sure what that is and not much of a description on the invoice. I was told at my 2nd visit that Chrysler is aware of the problem so I assume there are others out there with the same problem. I feel like I have a LEMON! Is anyone experiencing similar problems and does anyone have any suggestions???

THANKS,
  • tedebeartedebear Member Posts: 832
    Is anyone experiencing similar problems and does anyone have any suggestions???

Before investing in any expensive diagnostics or parts try the following.

Disconnect the negative cable on your battery and leave it off for at least 10 minutes or more. After you reattach the cable start the car and let it idle for several minutes while the computer "relearns" the idle speed and things.

I can't guarantee it'll fix anything but it's a free troubleshooting idea.

On a more radical note, any chance there's water in the fuel and in really cold weather ice is blocking the fuel lines or filter? You said this just started happening within the last two months. When it is inside the service bay at the dealer the ice would melt and they couldn't reproduce the problem.
  • jowalkjowalk Member Posts: 3
    I own a 2008 Chrysler sebring convertible. 61/2 months old, 3900 miles. It has stalled 4 times . Once while I was stopped at a light and three times while driving it. I am now afraid to drive this car. Car dealership cannot find anything wrong with it. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Does anyone have any suggestions?

Did you try my suggestions in the previous message?

My 07 Sebring is 7 months old with around 6,000 miles. I've never experienced any stalling problems with it. I love how well it handles in the snow with the ESP and traction control.

I hope the love affair last for many years.
  • mousewcbsmousewcbs Member Posts: 3
    I bought an 07 back in Sept. I took it in for a noise in the front end and told them that the car stalled on me while sitting at a light. They told me that it may have been some dirt in the gas tank that caused it to stall. The second time I took it in, this time for the stalling, they fixed the throttle body. (whatever that is lol) Again it stalled on me within 2 weeks of getting it back. I took it in this morning and they told me that they cannot find anything wrong with it. I called the dealership I bought it from and they told me that Chrysler is aware of the problem. It may be that it just needs some kind of software update. If that does not work then they don't have any way to fix it. I am going tomorrow to have them do the updates and will be letting them know that if they dont fix it I want my money back. I will let you know if I find out anything new. :mad: it is just aggravating!!
    I wonder if these stalling problems can be traced to a certain engine. Is it the 2.4L, the 2.7L or the 3.5L that is having the majority of the problems?

Mine is the 3.5L and no stalling issues at all.
    I have a 2.4L
  • mmcargrlmmcargrl Member Posts: 4
    I am searching for the same answer. I have a 1999 Chrysler Sebring, which I have loved for 4 years now. Lately it stalls while I am driving it--twice it left me in a dangerous situation, including today in traffic. Mechanics cannot find anything wrong with it, it starts up just fine for them. It will run fine, for a couple of days, or a couple of weeks, then out of the blue, it dies in traffic. Desperately seeking an answer...thanks.
    I took my 07 Sebring to the dealership last week Thursday. It hasn't stalled on me since they did the PCM update but it is still have issues. (like sputtering at stops and now my RPM's are jumping while coasting at 30mph) So I have contacted an atty and Chrysler and I am now in the process of trying to return my car and get my money back. :lemon:
  • nlyhnlyh Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem with my 2006 convertible with 20,000 miles. It has been back to the dealer three times now and they tell me nothing shows up on a code. It will run great for about three weeks and then it starts to stall and buck and feel like it's going to stall out. I've had it with the dealership. They keep my car for three and four days and then tell me there is nothing wrong. One of us is going to get into a serious accident because of this problem and maybe then someone will listen. Let me know if you get any satisfaction.
  • billg13billg13 Member Posts: 4
    Tell me more about how it stalls. does it cut off all at once or start to die like it is losing gas. Also, after it stall, does it start right up or does it take a few minutes. check out this forum http://www.sebringclub.net/board/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=9682&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
    I took my 2008 Sebring to another Chrysler dealership. They called corporate with no positive response. I am still driving around with what feels like a loaded gun. The new dealership said they could piut some kind of computer in my car and when it stalls again I would push a button to give them more diagnostic information. If nothing happens, I am going to have to persue the lemon law. Driving scared is not my idea fof fun.
  • mom2lexaversmom2lexavers Member Posts: 1
    I am on board with about my 07 Sebring :lemon: . I bought the car back in Aug. and it has been back to the dealership for a number of issues (recalls etc). I have had the following problems. Current mileage around 6500 miles

1. Electrical system failure. I had no interior lights, headlights etc.
    2. I am currently waiting for a new gear shift plate, the current does not illuminate so at night you have to rely on the dash to determine what gear you are in. (The part has been on back order since November 07)
    3. Passenger side door latch keeps sticking and the door won't close. (Going into dealer next week for that problem)
    4. The car has stalled on me twice since I have owned it for no apparenet reason.
    5. The icing on the cake occurred today (currently at the dealership), both the traction control light and ESP Bas light is on and staying on. I read the manual and it kept occurring after I started the car three times. :sick:

I promise you.... I will never buy a Chrysler, Dodge or Jeep ever again and I have been sharing this sentiment with many others.

What gets me is the attitude you get from the dealership, and the fact they speak down to me like I am a stupid woman.

Let me know what you find out.
    My 2008 just stalls outright. No warning. Everything goes. I can't get out of harms way because the steering is lost and I can't ge to the side of the road. It will start back up when I throw it into neutral and restart. I have been driving it now for about three weeks with no incidents. I'm not reassured, however, as it might just cut out again at any time. I am waiting to have a computer installed in it so that if and when the problem happens again, I can push a button and that is supposed to help the mechanics diagnose the problem. In the meantime I continue to drive with apprehension. I guess the next step in the Lemon Law. Has anyone filed for the Lemon Law? What was the result.
  • kbarthkbarth Member Posts: 5
    I have a 1996 Sebring Convertible Jxi 2.5L. I want all of you to know that I had this stalling problem, and it was very scary. I stalled on the freeway and thought I was going to get crushed by a semi truck, I also stalled at stops and on normal streets. I thought I probably would die in my car because of this. My mechanics kept scratching there heads and changing parts and I kept paying. They even suggested I take it to the dealership to see if they could figure out the problem. I took it to the dealership and they could not figure out the problem and still charged me $150.00 for nothing. Then my mechanic saw an article that came out in (winter 2006 Tech Magazine) that said the problem looked like other things, but was actually the MAP SENSOR, and the stalling quit. Chrysler has to know about this problem and chooses to play dumb. I love my car, but I will never buy another Chrysler.
    I hope this helps some of you with your problem. This is an inexpensive problem that I have at least $1500.00 into for other parts that did not fix the problem.

Hope this helps
    Kim
    I did the same thing. It was the MAP SENSOR!

Kim
    Please Everyone Listen to me.

MAP SENSOR
    Please try the MAP SENSOR
    Kim,

Tell the service tech to take a close look at the MAP sensor. I recently heard that it can be the source of some frustrating stalling problems. ;)

Thanks for taking the time to alert everyone and possibly saving them a lot of money.
  • mmcargrlmmcargrl Member Posts: 4
    I just read online that Chrysler has sent out a recall on Sebrings due to an electrical problem that might cause stalling or other issues. "Chrysler will seal the wires for the tire pressure monitoring system" at no cost. However--according to the story I read it is on 2007-08 models only. As we know, this problem occurs in Sebrings from 1998-2008. Mine is a 1999 and after the 4th repair recently, I hope it is ok now. I had the CAM Sensor replaced. I loved by Sebring until the past few months, and unfortunately I cannot financially afford to replace by car right now. I am self employed and the economy has kicked me hard. I will pray the CAM Sensor did the job, and will enjoy my car as long as I can, until I can afford to buy another car that is NOT a Chrysler. :mad:
  • tbirdrustbirdrus Member Posts: 3
    As many others here, I have the same stalling problem with my Sebring JXI '97. I found a website that lists all Sebring recalls and it looks like this problem (at least for '97) falls under one of them. I am going to contact Chrysler tomorrow and try to make them fix it for free. Any advice on how to handle it in the best way?

http://www.autosite.com/content/own/service/index.cfm/action/RecallsView/seriesi- d/136
  • handymanbob1handymanbob1 Member Posts: 1
    My wife has a 2001 sebring 2.7 and it kept stalling on us and would start back up and one day it would not that time it actually through a code for a camshaft sen., crankshaft sen., PMC (powertrain control module), fuelpump, (which includes our pump, relay, regulator, and filter we found it at advanced the cheapest for $300.00 but be careful they have been recalling the Airtex brand pumps) so it took fuel injection cleaner and reseting the code to get it to started so a week later it stalled on my wife with no warning at all, wile crossing a highway talk about panic she freaked. It would not start so we started with the most obveious and the cheapest which was the cam, crank, then fuel pump twice we returned the first just to make sure we didnt have a bad one it still does not start and it only through the one code and never after that. After you clear the computer it takes 80 miles for this computer to start reading again it never maid that far my next test is a recalled crankshaft harness that melts and grounds out. I just heard about it but if they never reruted it that would be the problem, then I im going to wing it and try the MAP sen. and my car also pulls up the P1684 code so check the conections on the battery it is in front of the driver front tire and your negative turnimal that is bolted to the strut tower by the fuse box under the hood has two wires and to bolts take off the top one and check the hidden one its all a pain but worth checking! If you find anything else out please post it
  • bens6009bens6009 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 1997 convertable 2.5L it did not start when i bought it, i am getting spark front three cylinders but not the back. The previous owner just replaced the distributor, plugs, wires, crank sensor and replaced the computer but the computer came from a junk car and from what my friend says at the dealer it is not the right computer. He said the computer has to be year specific. My friend that owns a garage gave me a couple computers but when i tried them i could not get spark at all. I don;t think those computers are for the right year. Now my question is does anyone have any other thoughts before i buy a new computer from the dealer. its only $235 but i do not want to waste my money when it could be something else. Also a friend of mine has a avenger with the same motor and had the same exact problem and he replaced the computer and it runs fine.. thanks ben
  • reallemon01reallemon01 Member Posts: 1
    2001 sebring 2.4 lx ive had it since new 46k on it. recently driving down the road i let off gas pedal and car bucks and stalls few weeks ago it just bucked and kept running radio cut out lights in dash would all light up then when shut car off the battery would die it would jump start right up then be fine for 5 minutes to 4 days. i pressed brake pedal in parking space and speedo went to 20 mph sitting still. 3rd battery in 1 yr due to cracking and losing fluid. any help out there for a very frustrated car owner. :confuse: had full tune up, new cam sensor and ignition switch put in also , still no help
  • stanrenastanrena Member Posts: 1
    Hi Jim,

I'm having a similar problem with my 2004 Sebring Convertible. Did you find the solution to your problem?

Regards,
    Rena
  • capt1014capt1014 Member Posts: 7
    Ok, so I can start the car when it is cold and it runs fine, no problem.

Once it gets up to temp, it starts to skip and lope and sputter....if I come to stop it will die and the still at temp it won't start nor stay running.

Once it cools down it starts up agian like there is no problem.

I have replaced the crankshaft position sensor but it didn't help.
  • capt1014capt1014 Member Posts: 7
    OMG I have like 6 error codes!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • rickd6rickd6 Member Posts: 1
    Have a 96 sebring that I parked one night and it will not start again. Something is locking out the ASD relay for the injectors. Computer shows no trouble codes. Replaced ASD relay in case it was just not making good contact. No help. Does anything besides the camshaft position sensor and the crankshaft position sensor stop the computer from energizing the ASD relay?
  • tbarbourtbarbour Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 Sebring that the battery died. It sat for about 4 mo. until I had it replaced. Now the problem that I have right now is that my odometer does not change it has stayed the same from the momment that I hve picked up the car, also the temp., mpg meter, and avail miles to drive function that is on the center part of the dash is not working as well. If anybody has had this problem any bit of information would be helpful. I just hope it is a quick cure and not to much $$$ to fix. Thank you all for your suggestions in advance.
  • digger15digger15 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 96 also and is doing the same thing. Would like to know if you found out the problem and if so what was it. I've had crank sensor replaced and tune -up but still have problem when we first start out.
  • Rose087Rose087 Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased my 08 Sebring in October 08 and it has stalled on me 4 times. It stalled on me while in a drive thru and I couldnt even turn the wheels I will be contacting the dealership. Thanks for the info I will let them know to check the map sensor
  • mrsizzle45mrsizzle45 Member Posts: 1
    Tonite I was driving my 2005 4 cyl. sebring sedan. I hit a bump. All of a sudden my oil light pop on engine was stalling and making a clapping noise. Does anyone knows the anwser to this problem. The engine didn't come. But, the car wouldn't accelerate when I driving 40 to 50 miles per hour. Help please.
  • WestTXGirlWestTXGirl Member Posts: 1
    I share the same problem as many of you on this board. I purchased my 2007 Chrysler Sebring January 2008. Within 1 month, my car radio would change stations. Within 1 to 2 months, I noticed my airbag, brake, engine, and seat belt lights go on and off throughout the drive. I took the car to the dealership. They could not duplicate the issue with the radio. They did "repair" the light issue. They said there was a recall notice. After this issue was repaired my car started to feel as if it was stalling. I took the car to the dealership twice. They said there was nothing wrong. This attempted stalling continued until October. My car actually began stalling. The last time was two weeks ago at 8 pm in 39 degree rainy weather. I am a single parent so of course this occurred when my kids were in the car. The car started back up after 10 minutes. I took the car to CARMAX where I purchased the vehicle. They along with a local Dodge/Chrysler dealership said there was nothing wrong with my car. I even mentioned to them that I read everyone's suggestion about a Map Sensor. I was told that there was no codes for a Map Sensor so they could not repair the Map Sensor. I am so frustrated with CARMAX and Chrysler. I am paying for a car that keeps stalling on me! :lemon:
  • bleakbleak Member Posts: 2
    my 07 sebring touring started stalling a few days ago. i notice when the engine is idle in drive/reverse/neutral the rpms dip low like every 30sec-2min like its going to stall. eventually it dies after a while of this. also happens while making a slow turn. just dies completely no warning lights or anything. it starts back up no problem. happened as i was pulling into the post office and nearly got rear ended. glad it hasnt happend in an intersection yet! this is very dangerous not to mention embarrasing. bought new in sept 07 and has 9100 miles on it atm. also engine seems to have a gurgle to it when i press the gas pedal - its a really noticeable gurgle if you gun it. also the car seems to have a downshift to it sometimes as i'm slowing somewhere in the 25-30 mph range.

other notable problems include the radio unit not turning on one day but hasnt happened since; and the power lock button on the drivers side door stopped working and needed to be replaced

taking it into the dealer tomorrow 02/13/09

i hope this MAP sensor that has been mentioned is the problem
  • akneerakneer Member Posts: 3
    Went out to start the car this morning and it would not start. Moved the shifter from park to neutral and still no start so we pushed it forward about 6 inches and still nothing. We then moved it forward several feet and it started right up. This is not the first time this has happened. It seems to happen 2 to 3 times a year. We have replaced the battery and alternator but are still having this issue...we are thinking it could be a sensor? Does anyone have any ideas?
  • emanofozemanofoz Member Posts: 2
    This may or may not be related. I had a past Sebring that the instruments were intermitant. Was advised it was because of "cold solder joints" and to remove the instrument cluster and lightly re solder each solder joint. I did and this solved a multitude of electrical problems.
    Stalling at low speed issue seems to be one of the most frustrating (and dangerous). Just want to throw an idea.

I noticed that when I start my Sebring 97 and idling RPM is at 750, the car runs OK. If it starts flactuate between 500 and 750, I am in for a "fun" day. It starts stalling when RPM falls below 500. What is going to happen if I increase my idling RPM to 1000 or higher? Will it fix the problem by not allowing RPM to fall below 500? Did anybody try this?
  • redyoginycredyoginyc Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I just bought a 97 sebring- it seems like a great car- but it stalled on me today - it started up again no problem- this happened twice- Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Red
    Well, you are up to a "nice" ride. Check all your fuses first (inside and under the hood). Make sure you pluck them all out, not just using electronic check. Make sure that they all correspond where they are supposed to be.
    I get to the point to consider that it is not any sensors which are responsible for stalling. Check your driver belt pulley. I think it is a problem.
  • sebring0sebring0 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Sebring JX Convertible. I've already dumped over ten grnad into the car. Now when stopping at stop signs or red light, the car sputters and likes to give out. I contacted Chrysler, and I was transferred to a call center in Mumbai, India. Finding an English speaking employee was harder than trying to get my car fixed. The dealer claims it can be a number of things, then admitted to the fact the the 2.4 liter engines in Chrysler cars have been known to cause problems. Nice to know now. Can anyone give some advice, on what my next step should be? The car runs great, as long as you don't stop.
  • vampire87vampire87 Member Posts: 10
    have a new key made for it and programed:) good luck
    sometimes the sibrings just stop recognizing the key.
    have you tried programming a new key to your car. they have a bad habit of not recognizing keys.
    try programming a new key to your car and replacing the crank shaft position sensor. good luck let me know how it goes
  • jengary0325jengary0325 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 Chrysler Sebring that was given to me and it drove fine for about 3 weeks then all of a sudden I was driving down the road and it didn't want to go and tried to stall out. I got it towed to a mechanic who took two days to tell me that it doesn't show up on the diagnostic and it needs a new computer. He wants to charge me $700. The car still starts it just tries to stall when you drive it. It is still at the mechanic but I have other people telling me that the car runs so the computer is fine. Can anyone give me some advice or know what would be wrong with it?
  • 1997lxi1997lxi Member Posts: 2
    I had a 1997 Sebring LXi with similar symptoms. Mechanic replaced the Exhaust Gas Recirculation E.G.R. Valve located directly behind the engine adjacent to the firewall. That corrected the problem and the repair cost about $150. Good luck.